Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

12 hours ago, joffer said:

Didn’t hate Ad Astra, but didn’t love it.  It was definitely missing something, and had some bad astrophysics in it.  And I didn’t like the ending.  Thought Pitt was good though.  Interstellar was much better.

6/10

I think I agree, and I really didn't like Interstellar either.  

Has anyone else seen Aniara? It’s a Swedish/Danish film about a ship of traveling Mars colonists. Really interesting film about the evolution/devolution of society, 4/5

Edited by Osaurus

On 10/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, jdoggydogg said:

This is showing in a local theater this month. Wild ####. 

i would drop acid for the first time in almost 50 yrs to see that on a bigscreen

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

i would drop acid for the first time in almost 50 yrs to see that on a bigscreen

Yeah I don't know if that's a great idea. Having seen a bunch of the stills from Haxxan, that sounds like a bad trip.

Was at Target and John Wick 3 was on sale.

Firing it up now but Jesus is blue ray sound 1000times better than ####ty compressed Comcast box

• Like 1

Just watched Avengers Endgame. :sleep::sleep:

Ok, I admit I was a little tired when watching it, but 3 hours??? Almost no action?

This is a comic book movie, not psychodrama.

John Wick 3 ...good movie. Not at good as the original but still worth the 2 hours

Fans of American Movie will enjoy this:

The local cult movie house is showing Coven, and director Mark Borchardt will be there in person discussing the movie.

Watched The Orphanage again last night.

Boy do I love that movie. Brings me to tears every time.

8 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Watched The Orphanage again last night.

Boy do I love that movie. Brings me to tears every time.

It's so good.  

I am of the opinion that we don't do horror very well (at least creepy/scary horror).   So many of my favorites of the last decade + are foreign movies.   I don't think anybody could come up with a list of 5 or so American horror movies that are as good as stuff like The Orphanage, Let the Right One In, Audition, Train to Bussan, etc.  I know I am missing a few off the top of my head too.  

On 10/19/2019 at 4:35 PM, belljr said:

John Wick 3 ...good movie. Not at good as the original but still worth the 2 hours

You serious?  I thought that movie was complete trash. 2 wasn’t great but this one was by far the worst.  Just pointless action movie pr0n.  It’s sad because the original was a fantastic flick.

Had a movie night over the weekend with the 8 and 12 yos...The Lost Boys. Man... Is forgotten exactly just how 80s this was. Still fun, and the kids kind of enjoyed it, especially the scarier or more comic parts. And of course, sax-man. Wish the wife would stay off the phone for these things...I already see the kids want to have an iPad out while watching a show and I made the "well duh" realization where it was coming from.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hxperson said:

You serious?  I thought that movie was complete trash. 2 wasn’t great but this one was by far the worst.  Just pointless action movie pr0n.  It’s sad because the original was a fantastic flick.

I wouldn't call it trash, but yes, it  is not as good as JW2 and a far cry from the original. I LOVE Berry, but felt she was totally miscast.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, belljr said:

I liked it better than 2, which seemed like a weak rehash of the original. The horse kicking parts cracked me up. :D

Watched two today.

Little Monsters - I think that this was a Hulu original movie. Kindergarten teacher and a slacker uncle have to protect the kindergarten class from a zombie outbreak at an Australian petting zoo. I laughed out loud many times.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - pretty sure that was the name. Ok ghost story. I am glad I watched it, but It was only just above average.

Sunshine Cleaning. A. Amy Adams and Emily Blunt as sisters who start a crime cleanup business. Very likeable and Adams and Blunt are great together.

• Like 2

For some reason decided to rewatch Get Shorty after the wife went to bed. Holds up great, still a funny, light ride with Travolta at his best. Look at me.

Edited by El Floppo
Phone OS update makes autocorrect much much worse

On 10/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Ilov80s said:

Hustlers was fantastic. Fun, funny and sexy. J Lo is unreal for 30 yet alone 50. The first 10 minutes provide you with some jaw dropping J Lo moments. It reminded me of the Brad Pitt roof scene in OUATIH. It’s a shame they never had kids together, might have made the first ever perfect human. 

I liked Hustlers better than Joker. Much more enjoyable movie.

• Like 1

Obviously not a rental but just saw Zombieland 2. 

It had funny parts and was enjoyable to watch but definitely not as good as the first one.

Had anyone seen "Parasite" yet? It's a Korean thriller in limited release in the US.  It won the top award at Cannes and is getting crazy reviews. Problem is, nobody wants to summarize the movie, cuz everyone agrees it's better to have no knowledge of the plot going in.

I'm gonna try to see this soon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Had anyone seen "Parasite" yet? It's a Korean thriller in limited release in the US.  It won the top award at Cannes and is getting crazy reviews. Problem is, nobody wants to summarize the movie, cuz everyone agrees it's better to have no knowledge of the plot going in.

I keep looking, but haven't seen it in my neck of the woods yet

23 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Really want to but can’t find anyone yet to go with 

9 hours ago, EYLive said:

Welp. I must've overhyped this in my mind cuz I went in with extremely high expectations. It was good, not great. Kinda disappointed in myself and the movie.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:46 PM, whoknew said:

It had funny parts and was enjoyable to watch but definitely not as good as the first one.

Agree. Its just OK.  First half of movie was better than the second half.

The more I have thought about it, the less I like Joker.  i think Phoenix's performance carried the movie a lot, but overall it was not good.  I stand by what I said in the other thread - it felt like Phillips wanted to make a Scorsese fanboy ripoff, went to the studios but they said that wouldn't make money, then they thought "what if The Joker was in it??!!".  :moneybag: !!   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

The more I have thought about it, the less I like Joker.  i think Phoenix's performance carried the movie a lot, but overall it was not good.  I stand by what I said in the other thread - it felt like Phillips wanted to make a Scorsese fanboy ripoff, went to the studios but they said that wouldn't make money, then they thought "what if The Joker was in it??!!".  :moneybag: !!   

You would be in the minority of sophisticated critics.   Not that it means anything. 

I’m just pleased it was something very different...and not a retread or another terrible superhero movie.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TripItUp said:

You would be in the minority of sophisticated critics.   Not that it means anything. 

I’m just pleased it was something very different...and not a retread or another terrible superhero movie.

How was it "very different" - just about every review recognizes that  it's Taxi Driver + King of Comedy but with the Joker in it.  100% it was a retread

Edited by KarmaPolice

I streamed Terminator Dark Fate(primewire.li). It's a good movie, IF you can accept the reboot, yes reboot.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

How was it "very different" - just about every review recognizes that  it's Taxi Driver + King of Comedy but with the Joker in it.  100% it was a retread

I haven't seen it but I don't think modernizing a subgenre of films from 35 years ago is too much of a retread and I think the social climate warrants it. 

On 10/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, whoknew said:

We saw this last night. Fun but mostly dumb and totally forgettable.

Just now, saintfool said:

We saw this last night. Fun but mostly dumb and totally forgettable.

Like your face!!!!

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I haven't seen it but I don't think modernizing a subgenre of films from 35 years ago is too much of a retread and I think the social climate warrants it. 

Social climate might warrant it, but it wasn't a smart enough movie to comment much on it, or really stick to it's guns on much.   Also, it wasn't so much of a modernizing of a subgenre of movies, it was straight up hijacking those two movies.   IMO what you are getting at would be something like Brick? (a more modern take on a noir movie?).  

If you can't tell, I didn't like this movie...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Social climate might warrant it, but it wasn't a smart enough movie to comment much on it, or really stick to it's guns on much.   Also, it wasn't so much of a modernizing of a subgenre of movies, it was straight up hijacking those two movies.   IMO what you are getting at would be something like Brick? (a more modern take on a noir movie?).  

I haven’t seen it so I can’t refute the quality or effectiveness 

11 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

i haven't seen it yet and I'm not in a hurry. i am pretty over the superhero blockbuster but this is obviously far less than that. if it's social commentary, it just seems glib somehow.

2 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

If you didn't see my review in the Joker thread, I'm with you.

I HATED the movie.

21 hours ago, EYLive said:
On 10/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, EYLive said:

Welp. I must've overhyped this in my mind cuz I went in with extremely high expectations. It was good, not great. Kinda disappointed in myself and the movie.

I walked into this movie completely blind and walked out stumbling.

I liked it a lot though. It's um, different, which I appreciated. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:43 PM, jdoggydogg said:

@jdoggydogg

Hey gb, just checking in to make sure you and yours are ok...last I recall, you were Rohnert Park or Santa Rosa?

Wed 11/13 on TCM is an incredible line-up of foreign made movies. A 101 class level in great foreign movies

Italian:  Bicycle Thieves,The Battle of Algiers and 8 1/2

Japanese: Seven Samurai and Rashomon

French: Breathless

Russian: I am Cuba

English: Dr. Strangelove, Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, whoknew said:

:goodposting: Wife and I laughed quite a bit, so was worth going to see. But much like you, I didn't feel it was as good as the 1st one.

13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Wed 11/13 on TCM is an incredible line-up of foreign made movies. A 101 class level in great foreign movies

Italian:  Bicycle Thieves,The Battle of Algiers and 8 1/2

Japanese: Seven Samurai and Rashomon

French: Breathless

Russian: I am Cuba

English: Dr. Strangelove, Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes

Murderers row of all-timers there. Wish I still had TCM and space on the DVR.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, El Floppo said:

@jdoggydogg

Hey gb, just checking in to make sure you and yours are ok...last I recall, you were Rohnert Park or Santa Rosa?

On 10/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, El Floppo said:

@jdoggydogg

Not on fire at the moment, so I'm grateful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Midsommar and after the first 25-30mins, I was mostly bored.   It felt like the reverse of Hereditary.  I loved Hereditary, but thought it fell apart a bit in the last 20 mins or so, especially the ending.  Still not enough of a hit to make me not think it was one of the better horror movies I've seen in awhile.  Midsommar was like the last 15mins of Hereditary stretched out for 2 hours.  I thought the beginning set up the dread and tension for the relationship well, but once they got to Sweden that was mostly gone and it was mostly style over substance (still a fantastic looking movie).   While the weird pictures and scenes that were shown in the art work were an interesting touch visually, it also took away from the impending dread because if you took 2 seconds to look at them, it spells out the movie for you.  And most of the stuff set up with the first part of the movie - her family and the relationship with the boyfriend/friends felt mostly shoved aside.  I enjoyed it a little more than Joker, but felt a lot like after watching that - great acting performance and great looking movie, but the movie itself was not good.  

13 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Not on fire at the moment, so I'm grateful.

That was a horrible week. Whatever firefighters earn, it's not enough.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

That was a horrible week. Whatever firefighters earn, it's not enough.

Glad to hear you and yours are ok. 

• Like 1

Labyrinth C-/D+. It may have been something back in the 80's but it has aged horribly. All the acting is bad, visual effects are awful and the writing is atrocious.

The ballroom scene was creepy. Bowie is lusting after Jennifer Connelly. She was 16 when the movie came out

• Like 1

God bless everyone, terrible to hear about the fires

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:10 AM, Waingro said:

I walked into this movie completely blind and walked out stumbling.

I liked it a lot though. It's um, different, which I appreciated. 

The more I think about Parasite, the more I am realizing how much I enjoyed this movie. It really is one hell of a ride. Sorry to add to the hype, but this might be one the best movies I have seen in the theaters all year. This movie hits on so many notes and weaves its way through genres seamlessly.   

• Like 1