What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Huh.  After knowing the general story behind Imitation Game before seeing the movie, all I can remember about the movie now is that it was fairly forgettable.  Was there really anything great about the movie other than the story it represented?
Not really. By 2014 we were all pretty well aware that vilifying people because of their sexuality is stupid. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Not really. By 2014 we were all pretty well aware that vilifying people because of their sexuality is stupid. 
Was that such a huge part of the story? I don’t remember it being front and center.

Was that such a huge part of the story? I don’t remember it being front and center.
It really wasn't front and center for the whole movie, but it was the main gut punch at the end of the movie.  

ETA:  for the rest of it, that plot was confined to a couple coversations and the flashback scenes of him in school with his friend.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to getting a Blu Ray player and so I took advantage of the Criterion half off month at Barnes and Noble. Are there any other companies that might do something similar? Put out older movies at a trusted high quality?

Huh.  After knowing the general story behind Imitation Game before seeing the movie, all I can remember about the movie now is that it was fairly forgettable.  Was there really anything great about the movie other than the story it represented?

Hello.

(Also, it was a really good and fun movie. Think the show House but math and not doctor).

Finally got around to getting a Blu Ray player and so I took advantage of the Criterion half off month at Barnes and Noble. Are there any other companies that might do something similar? Put out older movies at a trusted high quality?
Uh, what? 

What did you end up buying? 

Uh, what? 

What did you end up buying? 
lol, yeah just never got one. With HBO, Prime, Netflix and TCM, there hasn't been a need. As for the movies I chose, not sure exactly how I ended up on the ones I did. I wanted variety and other than that it was kind of the first 10 that I came across that caught my eye. 

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc
  2. The Philadelphia Story
  3. All About Eve
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. McCabe and Ms. Miller
  6. Notorious
  7. Elevator to the Gallows
  8. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  9. A Room with a View
  10. The Thin Red Line

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yeah just never got one. With HBO, Prime, Netflix and TCM, there hasn't been a need. As for the movies I chose, not sure exactly how I ended up on the ones I did. I wanted variety and other than that it was kind of the first 10 that I came across that caught my eye. 

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc
  2. The Philadelphia Story
  3. All About Eve
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. McCabe and Ms. Miller
  6. Notorious
  7. Elevator to the Gallows
  8. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  9. A Room with a View
  10. The Thin Red Line
Interesting mix of movies!  

I was just surprised because you seem like a bloke who would be all about digging into the bonus features and commentaries, so that's why the surprise was there.  That is a huge thing that is missing as we go to everything streaming, and why I still cling to my blurays more than most and get a good % of my movies from the library.   

I need to see what has come out on Criterion recently and hit up that sale for a few as well.  

Wolf of Wall Street:

Been sloooooowly working on my project of seeing movies by major directors I haven't gotten around to, and I figure this one also fills the bill as I catch up on some movies from the decade.   Absolutely a ####ed up movie about terrible people that I had a blast watching.  The more I watch Leo on screen the more I think he has to be in the discussion for best actor in the last 10-20 years.   The scenes where he takes the old 'ludes and goes to the country club and his initial sales pitches with the penny stocks were worth the price of admission.  Scorsese does things that drive me crazy, but one of the many things he is great at doing is getting you to start to root for a horrible person a bit, but still present it in a way by the end of the movie that make you start questioning yourself.  I got caught up a little in the fun of the access, but it's still horrible how many people got screwed for him to get there.   I still wonder why Scorsese goes back to the voiceover well time and time again, but here it worked a little more for me, unlike in something like Goodfellas.  I guess it was more for fun as he broke the 4th wall which is why I went along with it more?

Iron Man:

Yeah, I started watching Marvel movies on my Disney+ - I might as well get my money's worth, right?  I still absolutely love RDJ in this movie and love the energy here.  It hooks me right from the opening scene in the Humvee and the soldiers.  It also has a good villain, which will always elevate a superhero movie for me.  One of these days if I rewatch them all I will revist my Marvel rankings, but I would assume this would still land in my top 6 or so.  

Wolf of Wall Street:

Been sloooooowly working on my project of seeing movies by major directors I haven't gotten around to, and I figure this one also fills the bill as I catch up on some movies from the decade.   Absolutely a ####ed up movie about terrible people that I had a blast watching.  The more I watch Leo on screen the more I think he has to be in the discussion for best actor in the last 10-20 years.   The scenes where he takes the old 'ludes and goes to the country club and his initial sales pitches with the penny stocks were worth the price of admission.  Scorsese does things that drive me crazy, but one of the many things he is great at doing is getting you to start to root for a horrible person a bit, but still present it in a way by the end of the movie that make you start questioning yourself.  I got caught up a little in the fun of the access, but it's still horrible how many people got screwed for him to get there.   I still wonder why Scorsese goes back to the voiceover well time and time again, but here it worked a little more for me, unlike in something like Goodfellas.  I guess it was more for fun as he broke the 4th wall which is why I went along with it more?

Iron Man:

Yeah, I started watching Marvel movies on my Disney+ - I might as well get my money's worth, right?  I still absolutely love RDJ in this movie and love the energy here.  It hooks me right from the opening scene in the Humvee and the soldiers.  It also has a good villain, which will always elevate a superhero movie for me.  One of these days if I rewatch them all I will revist my Marvel rankings, but I would assume this would still land in my top 6 or so.  
You forgot to mention the best part of Wolf of Wall Street.....hello Margot. Good Lord.

Wolf of Wall Street:

Iron Man:

I thought that Wolf was about an hour too long. It got too repetitious in the 2nd half. 

The first Iron Man was easily one of the best comic book movies.

KarmaPolice said:
Interesting mix of movies!  

I was just surprised because you seem like a bloke who would be all about digging into the bonus features and commentaries, so that's why the surprise was there.  That is a huge thing that is missing as we go to everything streaming, and why I still cling to my blurays more than most and get a good % of my movies from the library.   

I need to see what has come out on Criterion recently and hit up that sale for a few as well.  
I am just not typically a collector type- more of a minimalist. So far, I really like the blu rays though. A Room with a View and My Darling Clementine both looked fantastic. Even better than I imagined. Skyfall looked good ofcourse, but it especially blew the roof off my house with the sound. My wife didn't appreciate that.

I am just not typically a collector type- more of a minimalist. So far, I really like the blu rays though. A Room with a View and My Darling Clementine both looked fantastic. Even better than I imagined. Skyfall looked good ofcourse, but it especially blew the roof off my house with the sound. My wife didn't appreciate that.
I get that.  I assume you have a decent library system that would give you access to just about any bluray you want though, no? 

I have always thought the bluray I get look and sound better, but like I said - that could possibly be my trash internet.  Or it could be confirmation bias.  

KarmaPolice said:
I get that.  I assume you have a decent library system that would give you access to just about any bluray you want though, no? 

I have always thought the bluray I get look and sound better, but like I said - that could possibly be my trash internet.  Or it could be confirmation bias.  
In 2019, no matter how fast your internet connection, a Blu-ray will always look better than a stream. Always.

KarmaPolice said:

Blu rays for new movies- yes. Older movies- no, they are all DVD. I have absolutely noticed that the Blu Rays I watched so far look better than when streamed off NF or watched on TCM.

Thanks for confirming I'm not making that up.  That makes me even more surprised that people are so willing to give up the physical media.  
4K cable boxes are not as popular, which is why TCM not as good.  Internet buffering and resolution going to limit quality on streaming devices.

But, I guess I got mocked for once watching a movie on an iPad (egad!), so maybe I'm not one to weigh in here.

4K cable boxes are not as popular, which is why TCM not as good.  Internet buffering and resolution going to limit quality on streaming devices.

But, I guess I got mocked for once watching a movie on an iPad (egad!), so maybe I'm not one to weigh in here.
i wish they had a mocking button in between "sad" and "thank you"

Blu rays for new movies- yes. Older movies- no, they are all DVD. I have absolutely noticed that the Blu Rays I watched so far look better than when streamed off NF or watched on TCM.
And they don't pool together different libraries?  Seems weird that with the access to other stuff that you do, your library system would be lacking.  

I rarely can't get a bluray through the library.  They don't have all the Criterion on bluray, but last I checked I thought they had 400-500 Criterion blurays.  

And they don't pool together different libraries?  Seems weird that with the access to other stuff that you do, your library system would be lacking.  

I rarely can't get a bluray through the library.  They don't have all the Criterion on bluray, but last I checked I thought they had 400-500 Criterion blurays.  
They do, just usually don’t bother to request it. My DVR is full and there’s a million things on streaming so it hasn’t been necessary 

Ok, getting into another blu ray now...

The prettiest sight in this fine, pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges.

Chinatown - Just watched it for the first time. I feel a little guilty because I don't watch Polanski movies. And not only did I watch this, but I liked it quite a bit. A moment of weakness, I reckon. 

Anyway, I'm not saying anything new about it. It was terrific and I enjoyed it very much.

The Descendants:

I watched this the other night and have been trying to wrap my head around how I felt about it for the last couple days.  I think overall I wasn't really into it, but there were some scenes that really punched me in the gut as a father so it seemed to elevate my ranking because of that.   Maybe I am still wrestling with how I feel since I can't seem to express my thoughts about it.  

Chinatown - Just watched it for the first time. I feel a little guilty because I don't watch Polanski movies. And not only did I watch this, but I liked it quite a bit. A moment of weakness, I reckon. 

Anyway, I'm not saying anything new about it. It was terrific and I enjoyed it very much.
It's a damn good movie and there were hundreds of people who helped make it great who aren't Polanski. That's how I look at it. No reason to wipe out the work of Robert Townes, John Huston or Faye Dunaway because Polanski is a rapist. Also as I have heard before, "we don't take art off the walls." 

It's a damn good movie and there were hundreds of people who helped make it great who aren't Polanski. That's how I look at it. No reason to wipe out the work of Robert Townes, John Huston or Faye Dunaway because Polanski is a rapist. Also as I have heard before, "we don't take art off the walls." 
yeah, thinking "i gotta see more Polanski" is the worst possible reaction to Chinatown. diamond....dreck...dreck...ruby...dreck...interesting dreck...dreck...fire opal...dreck...

@whoknew's experience and comments reminds me of those youtube reaction vids of young black kids w Vitamin Water bottles listening to Aqualung or Joni Mitchell. some of those make me cry to see a kid's first experience of "Roundabout" blowing up everything they know bout stuff, but the trivialization of my classics in others pissed me off into stop watchin em

Just watched Luce.  91% on Rotten Tomatoes, but regular viewers tend to either love it or hate it. It’s an admittedly imperfect movie, but I thought the broader themes were very thought-provoking, and it also worked more simply as an intense, slow burn thriller (not an action thriller though, so moderate your expectations accordingly). The acting performances were also really quite good. Movie description:

A married couple is forced to reckon with their idealized image of their son, adopted from war-torn Eritrea, after an alarming discovery by a devoted high school teacher threatens his status as an all-star student.

The Lion King (2019):

I disliked this movie on just about every level.   Original is one of my favorite Disney movies, so I was really hesitant to watch this one, but it seemed to be universally praised, so I figured I would give it a go.   On the plus side, if this is supposed to be the best of the Disney remakes, I know I don't need to bother with Aladdin, Beauty and Beast, Little Mermaid, or whatever else they are going to be bombarding us with...

I say that now, but I am sure the 4y.o. will talk me into watching some of these soon enough.

wikkidpissah said:
@Ilov80s favorite and one of the more watchable silent epics, 1928's The Passion of Joan of Arc, on TCM @ midnight tonight
an oddly modern flick. still can't say i care for it, much as i recognize that

The last Wednesday Showcase of Cinematographer's Month on TCM starts with a bang this week - Kieślowski's Blue (when i saw it listed as the 6am kickstarter, i was hoping we were going to get a triple-feature of the Three Colours films, but alas no) and probably the least-viewed of the MOVIES EVERYONE MUST SEE,  Wings of Desire @ 8am, followed by Paris, Texas, Being There, Das Boot, Hong Kong classic In the Mood For Love (looking fwd to my first viewing of this), Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey wrapping it up @ 4am.

Users who are viewing this thread