Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

On 11/2/2019 at 6:55 AM, Waingro said:

The more I think about Parasite, the more I am realizing how much I enjoyed this movie. It really is one hell of a ride. Sorry to add to the hype, but this might be one the best movies I have seen in the theaters all year. This movie hits on so many notes and weaves its way through genres seamlessly.   

I just came in to post a glowing review of Parasite. What a fantastic film!

• Like 2

Logan Lucky

I guess I was maybe in too much of a mood for a Ocean's 11 type heist movie from Soderbergh, but I found this movie to be fairly dull.  Not terrible, but nothing that I would purposely watch again or really recommend.  

Finally saw In the Mood for Love. I get the hype, it’s gorgeous and just seers itself right in your soul. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Finally saw In the Mood for Love. I get the hype, it’s gorgeous and just seers itself right in your soul. 

One of the more beautiful movies, and I genuinely liked it- even if I preferred his earlier Fallen Angels. I've always thought of that latter as one of my favorites- but I haven't rewatched it since seeing it in the theaters. It's so stylized, I wonder how it holds up.

Might go see "Midway" this weekend as I am an avid WWII buff.  But it's not getting good reviews.  Anyone going to go see it?

2 hours ago, Copeman said:

Might go see "Midway" this weekend as I am an avid WWII buff.  But it's not getting good reviews.  Anyone going to go see it?

The 1976 Midway is good. Good from a historical perspective but slow when they aren't focused on the battle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nightmare said:

The 1976 Midway is good. Good from a historical perspective but slow when they aren't focused on the battle.

I agree, it was good.  From the reviews, it sounds like this new one is more focused on the battle itself, and that the CGI isn't great, and that there is little character development, although the characters are portrayed very accurately.  I don't care.  It's WWII.  I am there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

One of the more beautiful movies, and I genuinely liked it- even if I preferred his earlier Fallen Angels. I've always thought of that latter as one of my favorites- but I haven't rewatched it since seeing it in the theaters. It's so stylized, I wonder how it holds up.

I thought it held up fine. Nothing about it seemed out of place for a 2019 movie. And that score, my god.  Just a beautiful movie to see and hear. 

9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I thought it held up fine. Nothing about it seemed out of place for a 2019 movie. And that score, my god.  Just a beautiful movie to see and hear. 

I was talking about Fallen Angels, one of my all time faves

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I was talking about Fallen Angels, one of my all time faves

Yep my skimming failed me there

The Disaster Artist - 8/10

There's no way I should like this movie. I don't like James Franco and really detest Seth Rogan. I've never watched The Room and am not likely to.

But Franco is absolutely awesome here. Rogan is minimized. And this movie is feel good and funny. I loved it.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, Copeman said:

I went today I thought it was pretty good especially the special effects.  Even got a Midway pin for going the first day that was pretty cool.  Mostly an older crowd my age or older.  One man sat next to me that I swear was old enough to have fought at Midway.  I would recommend it.

• Like 2

Private Life:

Maybe a tad long, but I really ended up liking this one.  I enjoyed Hayn and Giamatti as a couple going through hell to try to have a baby, and thought the ending was fitting for this movie.  Had laughs, drama, and realistic dialogue and reactions between characters.  7/10

I am trying to stop playing so many video games and slowly get caught up on the huge pile of movies I haven't gotten around to in the last 2-3 years.  Tonight might be First Reformed.

Just saw the new Terminator. Its really good. HIGHLY entertaining.

The action is relentless, the story is pretty good, and its quite funny. Two thumbs up.

First time viewing of Coming Home and this movie needs a major restoration. What a shame it's in such bad shape. 

First Reformed:

I am not sure what I watched last night.  Thought it was OK at first, but the last 1/3 or so was pretty terrible.  Maybe I am just getting too old and jaded and have lost my ability to enjoy movies, or maybe critics are way off on this one - it happens.  (like that dumb ### Ghost Story movie that was hyped up and highly rated).  Hawke was good, but still not enough to recommend watching this one.  

Rewatched Taxi Driver for the first time in ages. Holds up... Still fantastic.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 6:52 PM, rustycolts said:

I went today I thought it was pretty good especially the special effects.  Even got a Midway pin for going the first day that was pretty cool.  Mostly an older crowd my age or older.  One man sat next to me that I swear was old enough to have fought at Midway.  I would recommend it.

I enjoyed it, glad I went.  Not sure why all the bad reviews.

30 minutes ago, Copeman said:

I enjoyed it, glad I went.  Not sure why all the bad reviews.

how would you compare it to Pearl Harbor from 2001?

19 minutes ago, joffer said:

how would you compare it to Pearl Harbor from 2001?

More accurate, in fact is was very accurate.  One of the more accurate war movies that I have seen.  Not as much character stuff as Pearl, but the action was top notch.  Bad reviews out there on the CGI, but I thought it was fine. I saw it in that dolby digital where your seats vibrate and the experience was pretty cool.

i rented traveling sisterhood of the pants last week and brohans it was not good and when i say not good i mean it was great you will laugh you will cry and you will learn a little bit about pants along the way and that my friends is the meaning of thanksgiving take that to the bank brochachos

On 11/9/2019 at 11:12 PM, El Floppo said:

Rewatched Taxi Driver for the first time in ages. Holds up... Still fantastic.

Same, wanted to revisit this after I saw Joker and I agree, holds up really well..... expect for the music. It's the same damn riff over and over and over again. That was painful for me. 

Saw JoJo Rabbit this weekend and enjoyed it a ton. I mean, you really can't go wrong when making fun on Nazis. 

Lots of laugh out loud moments throughout, especially coming from the Hitler character. And while it was really funny, it still was able to strike a really good balance of being very sad, tragic and ironic at the same time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Waingro said:

Same, wanted to revisit this after I saw Joker and I agree, holds up really well..... expect for the music. It's the same damn riff over and over and over again. That was painful for me. 

Really? Wow. That Bernard Hermann score is one of the best in film history. The clash between the ominous and romantic is incredible. 

10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Really? Wow. That Bernard Hermann score is one of the best in film history. The clash between the ominous and romantic is incredible. 

It is very good at first and it works really well in tangent with the tone of the movie. I guess for me though it just felt overly repetitive. 

Just watched The art of racing in the rain. Jeez I had a knot in my throat the whole dang movie.

4 hours ago, Waingro said:

Saw JoJo Rabbit this weekend and enjoyed it a ton. I mean, you really can't go wrong when making fun on Nazis. 

Lots of laugh out loud moments throughout, especially coming from the Hitler character. And while it was really funny, it still was able to strike a really good balance of being very sad, tragic and ironic at the same time. 

My kid's daycare has a "parent's night out" this weekend. May try talking my wife into seeing that one -- not seeing much else in the theatre that interests me as a date night kind of movie.

Edited by Don Quixote

4 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

My kid's daycare has a "parent's night out" this weekend. May try talking my wife into seeing that one -- not seeing much else in the theatre that interests me as a date night kind of movie.

Great date night movie... sweet and funny regardless of the heavy subject matter

• Like 1

Had a leftover film I meant to watch in October: Suspiria (70s version).WTF? The lighting and set design was super cool and fun. I was expecting a seriously scary movie and this was pure camp.

22 hours ago, Waingro said:

I want to see this before the holiday movies elbow it back out of theaters. I watched the trailer several times and it always make me giggle.

A couple of movies on a flight:

John Wick 3 - Better than the 2nd, not as good as the first. I think because there was more hand to hand fighting instead of relentless shooting. Fun ride, imo.

Taking Woodstock - Ang Lee movie from 2009. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking but interesting take on the festival. Strange role for Liev Schrieber.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, Copeman said:

Going Friday night. Critics are trashing it, but the Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews are mostly pretty good. 

Review:

Story 4/10-  Tries too hard to be The Longest Day /A Bridge Too Far/Letters from Iwo Jima. 

The maligned CGI deserves a lot of its criticism 4/10

Acting/Script - Eye rolling, stomach turning, God awful bad. Maybe the worst acting I've ever seen in a real movie. 1/10 

It reminded me of a studio that had a lot of money to spend on actors and effects to make a pet project movie that the owner wrote himself and couldn't be talked into a good rewrite. 

Overall 5/10. Decent popcorn movie that's going to be killed by critics. See it at a cheapie matinee or wait for the streaming / DVD release 

Edited by simsarge

On 11/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, nightmare said:

I saw it in the theater back in the day in Sensurround . Not sure what I liked more. The movie or the body blasting sound 

• Like 1

I'm going through classics that for whatever reason I've missed along the way.

Night of the Hunter - Great performance from Robert Mitchum. I've seen hundreds of movies that stole from it, which adds to it's importance.  It's a good watch if you haven't seen it, but there's some real bad child acting and people making stupid decisions to keep the plot moving.  The adult actors are all pros putting in good work.  It got some bad reviews at the time of it's release, but it's subject matter was just way ahead of it's time.  The reviews (and Mitchum's drunken and drug-addled behavior on set) soured director Charles Laughton so much he never directed again.

Next up: Marty

• Like 1

I'm going through classics that for whatever reason I've missed along the way.

Marty - A disappointment.  Everything done in there I've already seen in other movies and done much better.  I found Borgnine's performance grating and the movie was filled with people (outside of the school teacher) that I really couldn't stand.  What is this movie trying to tell me?  That if you think you're ugly just hang on, someone that thinks they're even uglier than you will come along and settle for you?  It was essentially a Rom-Com without the Rom or the Com.  I didn't actively hate it, but I did find myself at times wishing they would hurry up and get to the point - or just end already.

You can definitely see some of the seeds of Seinfeld in here, as it is kind of a movie about nothing.  Regular people having regular conversations.  I just wasn't interested in what these characters had to say.

ETA - Next Up: Sweet Smell of Success

Edited by Statorama

On 11/8/2019 at 7:14 PM, whoknew said:

Just saw the new Terminator. Its really good. HIGHLY entertaining.

The action is relentless, the story is pretty good, and its quite funny. Two thumbs up.

Loved when Sara Connor showed up in the bridge, the rest was good.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:49 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

The Disaster Artist - 8/10

There's no way I should like this movie. I don't like James Franco and really detest Seth Rogan. I've never watched The Room and am not likely to.

But Franco is absolutely awesome here. Rogan is minimized. And this movie is feel good and funny. I loved it.

Very good movie. 

Midway looks exactly like Pearl Harbor, so I'm out. 

I know it has it's own thread, but Ford v Ferrari is a good film and is really worth the theater (and imax if possible) experience. It's nice to see an adult drama with big stars and great action. 

Glass.

I think I loved this movie. I read reviews of it after I watched it and was surprised it got panned so much. I was glued to it from start to finish.

Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Glass.

I think I loved this movie. I read reviews of it after I watched it and was surprised it got panned so much. I was glued to it from start to finish.

Hmmmm.

We just saw it.

awful. Really awful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

We just saw it.

awful. Really awful.

I expected more from it. I got bored about half way through and just surfed on my phone until it finished. The whole social justice/dark ops thing was just too much. Pretty dumb imo.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1

Imitation Game

Continuing along my quest to catch up on my misses of the last decade, and this movie was absolutely amazing :hey:@wikkidpissah.   0 clue what took me so long to watch, since I have had it a few time at the house, but I ended up watching it twice in the last couple days.  Fascinating story that I only new the peripherals of, brilliant performance by Cumberbatch, and absolutely heartbreaking at the end.  Should vault up any list of best of the decade and be towards the top.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Imitation Game

Continuing along my quest to catch up on my misses of the last decade, and this movie was absolutely amazing :hey:@wikkidpissah.   0 clue what took me so long to watch, since I have had it a few time at the house, but I ended up watching it twice in the last couple days.  Fascinating story that I only new the peripherals of, brilliant performance by Cumberbatch, and absolutely heartbreaking at the end.  Should vault up any list of best of the decade and be towards the top.  

What occurred within Alan Turing made him one of the great persons of history (unless being the central figure in the Allied victory and inventing the computer doesnt impress you). What occurred within Alan Turing made him a criminal, a pariah and, eventually, a suicide. That makes his the greatest story of our time and, in Imitation Game, it is incisively & sympathetically told, besides being the only movie i've ever seen which properly addresses the curse of genius. The only more incredible thing i've seen this century is a great number of lists of the Best 21st C movies that don't even mention it.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

What occurred within Alan Turing made him one of the great persons of history (unless being the central figure in the Allied victory and inventing the computer doesnt impress you). What occurred within Alan Turing made him a criminal, a pariah and, eventually, a suicide. That makes his the greatest story of our time and, in Imitation Game, it is incisively & sympathetically told, besides being the only movie i've ever seen which properly addresses the curse of genius. The only more incredible thing i've seen this century is a great number of lists of the Best 21st C movies that don't even mention it.

I need to rewatch this based on your persistant praise. I really liked it when I saw it but it didn't jump out at me. I'll seek it out. 

50 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I need to rewatch this based on your persistant praise. I really liked it when I saw it but it didn't jump out at me. I'll seek it out. 

It was on NF a bit ago, but it looks like it's off all the main streamers now.  I had to get mine from that library thing.  

• Like 1