Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

Looking at the box office results, reviews and early Oscar odds and it seems like 2019 might end up being a throwback year where we get big productions with big stars and big box office returns on serious, movies for adults.  Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Hustlers and potential with JoJo Rabbit, Knives Out, 1917, Uncut Gems. It might be a good sign for the future of movies. 

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I need to rewatch this based on your persistant praise. I really liked it when I saw it but it didn't jump out at me. I'll seek it out. 

There's no especially great filmmaking here, but it has, in spades, the element of great movies. A great inner story set against a great outer story or a love story set against grand events makes the best movies and, more, reminds us all to keep arguing with the gods.

I am not a genius but i have an unusual intelligence which caused me to throw in with and, therefore, understand a lot of geniuses. I've written here before about my childhood friend Jack, who could read 2000 words a minute when he was 8 and had over a dozen patents (the water filtration system for the city of Worcester MA is his) when he died at 19yo. He was such a squishy noodge that even his parents bullied him (of course, Irish parents believe it their duty to beat the exceptionalism out of their children so they're spared special attention) and, til i moved out of the city, i was his only friend and, with my paid bodyguard (honest), his only defense. 

But he was fun. Once he stopped cringing & dropping his glasses, it was easy to see that there was a greater amusement park in his head than any summer shore ever held. Among other fantastic exercises we figured out, without having ever seen or heard of such a thing, how to hypnotize ourselves to do the stiff-as-a-board trick. And if we'd written them down, the me-a-line-you-a-line stories we'd fashion together would likely be children's classics.

Fear made Jack treat my move out to the burbs @ 11yo as a betrayal and we were never great friends again. Because most of the fam was still in town, i was in there regularly, but we seldom hung out. As i feared, he beat himself to a pulp long before the bullies got to him after losing my companionship & protection (tho Big Wayne, who worked for me in one form or another til in moved west in my late 20s, kept an eye on him). He was a morphine addict by age 14 because it was the only way to make his head quiet and escape the pressure his engineering prodigiality put upon him. He died loaded in a car crash on Halloween night 1972.

The point here is that, like my Jack and many others, what made Alan Turing one of the 20th century's most necessary & important people occurred naturally within him. What made him an illegal "pervert" also occurred naturally within him. One saved the world. The other ruined, ended him needlessly, prevented what further miracles he had in him, even though he had honored us 1000s of times for every occasion he might have dishonored himself. If there's a story greater to be told - and, in The Imitation Game, told well - i don't know of it. Let us be cautioned about the codes within and without us which turn us from givers into takers, lovers to fighters, whole persons to broken puzzles. Just as Alan Turing gave us artificial intelligence, let the example of his life give us inner intelligence. *steps off soapbox*

"When people talk to each other, they never say what they mean. They say something else. And you’re supposed to just know what they mean. Only, I never do." - codebreaker Alan Turing, as a child, in The Imitation Game

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Imitation Game

Continuing along my quest to catch up on my misses of the last decade, and this movie was absolutely amazing :hey:@wikkidpissah.   0 clue what took me so long to watch, since I have had it a few time at the house, but I ended up watching it twice in the last couple days.  Fascinating story that I only new the peripherals of, brilliant performance by Cumberbatch, and absolutely heartbreaking at the end.  Should vault up any list of best of the decade and be towards the top.  

Loved it when I saw it in theatre. Need to watch it again. Absolutely is one of my top 10 of the decade 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Looking at the box office results, reviews and early Oscar odds and it seems like 2019 might end up being a throwback year where we get big productions with big stars and big box office returns on serious, movies for adults.  Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Hustlers and potential with JoJo Rabbit, Knives Out, 1917, Uncut Gems. It might be a good sign for the future of movies. 

The Irishman is a Netflix joint, right?

ETA:  Knives Out looks like a blast, and I am going to try to catch that.  Interested in 1917 because of Mendes.   I saw the trailer for Uncut Gems at the beginning of Joker, and I had 0 interest in seeing it, but keep hearing podcasts and critics praise it.    Regardless, I would love to see tilt back to people seeing movies like this on the big screen, even if it is just a slight tilt.  I guess to be fair, this is the typical critical darling/Oscar bait season starting up anyway and of the big properties are out of the theaters besides Star Wars coming up.  

Edited by KarmaPolice

On 11/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Imitation Game

Continuing along my quest to catch up on my misses of the last decade, and this movie was absolutely amazing :hey:@wikkidpissah.   0 clue what took me so long to watch, since I have had it a few time at the house, but I ended up watching it twice in the last couple days.  Fascinating story that I only new the peripherals of, brilliant performance by Cumberbatch, and absolutely heartbreaking at the end.  Should vault up any list of best of the decade and be towards the top.  

This film was my pick for Best Picture in 2014. 

Especially compared to that piece of crap, Birdman, that actually won the Oscar. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Huh.  After knowing the general story behind Imitation Game before seeing the movie, all I can remember about the movie now is that it was fairly forgettable.  Was there really anything great about the movie other than the story it represented?

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Huh.  After knowing the general story behind Imitation Game before seeing the movie, all I can remember about the movie now is that it was fairly forgettable.  Was there really anything great about the movie other than the story it represented?

Besides the top-notch Humperdink Cucumber performance, the only cinematic greatness i can ascribe to it is that, for decades, British filmmakers have been trying to tell this story definitively. Breaking the Enigma code has been the subject of a number of UK miniseries and 2 or 3 films at least and they never really got the large & small scale aspects of it balanced into great storytelling until IG. That is always a point of great credit to me, as my director cousin fails to get due respect for being the first of seven directors assigned over the course of 30 yrs to turn the hit Broadway musical Chicago into a film who actually figured out how to do it.

People who appreciate The Imitation Game may be interested to know that the screenwriter has since written a successful novel on the contest between Edison & Westinghouse and that he and the IG's director and turning that into a movie now.

14 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

The Irishman is a Netflix joint, right?

ETA:  Knives Out looks like a blast, and I am going to try to catch that.  Interested in 1917 because of Mendes.   I saw the trailer for Uncut Gems at the beginning of Joker, and I had 0 interest in seeing it, but keep hearing podcasts and critics praise it.    Regardless, I would love to see tilt back to people seeing movies like this on the big screen, even if it is just a slight tilt.  I guess to be fair, this is the typical critical darling/Oscar bait season starting up anyway and of the big properties are out of the theaters besides Star Wars coming up.  

Irishman is at very limited theaters now and on NF I think the day after Thanksgiving. I thought the Uncut Gems trailer looked awesome.

9 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Not really. By 2014 we were all pretty well aware that vilifying people because of their sexuality is stupid. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Irishman is at very limited theaters now and on NF I think the day after Thanksgiving. I thought the Uncut Gems trailer looked awesome.

Gotcha - didn't know that part.  

23 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Not really. By 2014 we were all pretty well aware that vilifying people because of their sexuality is stupid. 

Was that such a huge part of the story? I don’t remember it being front and center.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Was that such a huge part of the story? I don’t remember it being front and center.

It really wasn't front and center for the whole movie, but it was the main gut punch at the end of the movie.  

ETA:  for the rest of it, that plot was confined to a couple coversations and the flashback scenes of him in school with his friend.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1

I had a chance to see Parasite. Great film and definitely gonna win some more awards. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to getting a Blu Ray player and so I took advantage of the Criterion half off month at Barnes and Noble. Are there any other companies that might do something similar? Put out older movies at a trusted high quality?

On 11/18/2019 at 1:11 AM, FreeBaGeL said:

Hello.

(Also, it was a really good and fun movie. Think the show House but math and not doctor).

12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Finally got around to getting a Blu Ray player and so I took advantage of the Criterion half off month at Barnes and Noble. Are there any other companies that might do something similar? Put out older movies at a trusted high quality?

Uh, what? 

What did you end up buying? 

24 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

https://www.arrowfilms.com/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Uh, what? 

What did you end up buying? 

lol, yeah just never got one. With HBO, Prime, Netflix and TCM, there hasn't been a need. As for the movies I chose, not sure exactly how I ended up on the ones I did. I wanted variety and other than that it was kind of the first 10 that I came across that caught my eye. 

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc
  2. The Philadelphia Story
  3. All About Eve
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. McCabe and Ms. Miller
  6. Notorious
  7. Elevator to the Gallows
  8. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  9. A Room with a View
  10. The Thin Red Line
Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

lol, yeah just never got one. With HBO, Prime, Netflix and TCM, there hasn't been a need. As for the movies I chose, not sure exactly how I ended up on the ones I did. I wanted variety and other than that it was kind of the first 10 that I came across that caught my eye. 

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc
  2. The Philadelphia Story
  3. All About Eve
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. McCabe and Ms. Miller
  6. Notorious
  7. Elevator to the Gallows
  8. Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  9. A Room with a View
  10. The Thin Red Line

Interesting mix of movies!  

I was just surprised because you seem like a bloke who would be all about digging into the bonus features and commentaries, so that's why the surprise was there.  That is a huge thing that is missing as we go to everything streaming, and why I still cling to my blurays more than most and get a good % of my movies from the library.   

I need to see what has come out on Criterion recently and hit up that sale for a few as well.  

• Like 1

Cinematographers' nite again on TCM. Most overrated Western of all time, McCabe & Mrs Miller, on in one hour @ 8EST followed by Klute, The Last Picture Show & The Wild Bunch

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Got THIS  when it was released. Still sealed. Limited to 3,000, I figured it would go way up in price over the years. $75.99 on Amazon now.
I paid $31.39

SO JEALOUS

7 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Go look at what The Criterion Blu-ray version of The Third Man costs.

Yeah that is just absurd

Wolf of Wall Street:

Been sloooooowly working on my project of seeing movies by major directors I haven't gotten around to, and I figure this one also fills the bill as I catch up on some movies from the decade.   Absolutely a ####ed up movie about terrible people that I had a blast watching.  The more I watch Leo on screen the more I think he has to be in the discussion for best actor in the last 10-20 years.   The scenes where he takes the old 'ludes and goes to the country club and his initial sales pitches with the penny stocks were worth the price of admission.  Scorsese does things that drive me crazy, but one of the many things he is great at doing is getting you to start to root for a horrible person a bit, but still present it in a way by the end of the movie that make you start questioning yourself.  I got caught up a little in the fun of the access, but it's still horrible how many people got screwed for him to get there.   I still wonder why Scorsese goes back to the voiceover well time and time again, but here it worked a little more for me, unlike in something like Goodfellas.  I guess it was more for fun as he broke the 4th wall which is why I went along with it more?

Iron Man:

Yeah, I started watching Marvel movies on my Disney+ - I might as well get my money's worth, right?  I still absolutely love RDJ in this movie and love the energy here.  It hooks me right from the opening scene in the Humvee and the soldiers.  It also has a good villain, which will always elevate a superhero movie for me.  One of these days if I rewatch them all I will revist my Marvel rankings, but I would assume this would still land in my top 6 or so.  

11 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Wolf of Wall Street:

Been sloooooowly working on my project of seeing movies by major directors I haven't gotten around to, and I figure this one also fills the bill as I catch up on some movies from the decade.   Absolutely a ####ed up movie about terrible people that I had a blast watching.  The more I watch Leo on screen the more I think he has to be in the discussion for best actor in the last 10-20 years.   The scenes where he takes the old 'ludes and goes to the country club and his initial sales pitches with the penny stocks were worth the price of admission.  Scorsese does things that drive me crazy, but one of the many things he is great at doing is getting you to start to root for a horrible person a bit, but still present it in a way by the end of the movie that make you start questioning yourself.  I got caught up a little in the fun of the access, but it's still horrible how many people got screwed for him to get there.   I still wonder why Scorsese goes back to the voiceover well time and time again, but here it worked a little more for me, unlike in something like Goodfellas.  I guess it was more for fun as he broke the 4th wall which is why I went along with it more?

Iron Man:

Yeah, I started watching Marvel movies on my Disney+ - I might as well get my money's worth, right?  I still absolutely love RDJ in this movie and love the energy here.  It hooks me right from the opening scene in the Humvee and the soldiers.  It also has a good villain, which will always elevate a superhero movie for me.  One of these days if I rewatch them all I will revist my Marvel rankings, but I would assume this would still land in my top 6 or so.  

You forgot to mention the best part of Wolf of Wall Street.....hello Margot. Good Lord.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Payne said:

You forgot to mention the best part of Wolf of Wall Street.....hello Margot. Good Lord.

Huh.  Didn't notice her.  

2 hours ago, Payne said:

As I think we are only allowed to talk about acting skills in here... she has a very good set of, um, vocal cords.

14 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Wolf of Wall Street:

Iron Man:

I thought that Wolf was about an hour too long. It got too repetitious in the 2nd half. 

The first Iron Man was easily one of the best comic book movies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I thought that Wolf was about an hour too long. It got too repetitious in the 2nd half. 

I could see that - the debauchery did get a bit repetitive, but I was still entertained enough by Leo to not notice the run time.   

21 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

As I think we are only allowed to talk about acting skills in here... she has a very good set of, um, vocal cords.

And if they are ever strained, I do believe  applying honey to them would be beneficial. 

On 11/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Interesting mix of movies!  

I was just surprised because you seem like a bloke who would be all about digging into the bonus features and commentaries, so that's why the surprise was there.  That is a huge thing that is missing as we go to everything streaming, and why I still cling to my blurays more than most and get a good % of my movies from the library.   

I need to see what has come out on Criterion recently and hit up that sale for a few as well.  

I am just not typically a collector type- more of a minimalist. So far, I really like the blu rays though. A Room with a View and My Darling Clementine both looked fantastic. Even better than I imagined. Skyfall looked good ofcourse, but it especially blew the roof off my house with the sound. My wife didn't appreciate that.

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I am just not typically a collector type- more of a minimalist. So far, I really like the blu rays though. A Room with a View and My Darling Clementine both looked fantastic. Even better than I imagined. Skyfall looked good ofcourse, but it especially blew the roof off my house with the sound. My wife didn't appreciate that.

I get that.  I assume you have a decent library system that would give you access to just about any bluray you want though, no? 

I have always thought the bluray I get look and sound better, but like I said - that could possibly be my trash internet.  Or it could be confirmation bias.