What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Knives Out - Saw it last night. Its very funny. Good whodunit. I thought the ending hit a double not a home run. But overall, very good. Highly recommend.
Watched the trailers and they must not show any of the funny parts.  :shrug:  I like the genre, tho, so may go this weekend.

Just watched Luce.  91% on Rotten Tomatoes, but regular viewers tend to either love it or hate it. It’s an admittedly imperfect movie, but I thought the broader themes were very thought-provoking, and it also worked more simply as an intense, slow burn thriller (not an action thriller though, so moderate your expectations accordingly). The acting performances were also really quite good. Movie description:

A married couple is forced to reckon with their idealized image of their son, adopted from war-torn Eritrea, after an alarming discovery by a devoted high school teacher threatens his status as an all-star student.
I’ve had good luck lately stumbling across really interesting new rentals that didn’t get a lot of exposure. First it was Luce, reviewed above, and now I just watched Freaks, which is an excellent science fiction movie that relies far more on good acting and an interesting storyline than special effects. Great performances by Emile Hirsch, Bruce Dern and the little girl who is the central character.

Marriage Story

VERY good movie, but damn was it a kick to the nuts.  I had zero clue what I was getting into besides who was in it, but this is a heavy drama that really nails the festering anger and resentment of a marriage on the down slide.  The brilliant thing is that it had all that, but I still left feeling positive about the characters.  Highly recommended, but prepare for emotions.  There were a couple scenes that seemed out of place and want to rewatch this soon, but initial take is 8/10.

Marriage Story

VERY good movie, but damn was it a kick to the nuts.  I had zero clue what I was getting into besides who was in it, but this is a heavy drama that really nails the festering anger and resentment of a marriage on the down slide.  The brilliant thing is that it had all that, but I still left feeling positive about the characters.  Highly recommended, but prepare for emotions.  There were a couple scenes that seemed out of place and want to rewatch this soon, but initial take is 8/10.
Guess we aren’t doing this for movie club next month ;)

Marriage Story

yeah, i lauded it AND warned against watching it in the Netflix thread.

for some reason, the TV of my era used an extraordinary number of scenarios involving quicksand. as a result, 90% of the nightmares of my lifetime involved it somehow (having my personality stuck inside an animal not being able to tell anyone, thx to Shaggy Dog, is the other 10%), so i'm psychically terrified of it and i'm one of very few fears.

this movie is 2 hours of quicksand, of a marriage sinking past redemption and all the hope & wishes & love & struggle upon which a life together might still be based. the pernicious nature of a love which no longer matches a life has never been better presented. i'll put the constructions and execution of this Noah Baumbach piece up against Eugene O'Neil anytime, yet i wish i hadn't seen it

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, i lauded it AND warned against watching it in the Netflix thread.

for some reason, the TV of my era used an extraordinary number of scenarios involving quicksand. as a result, 90% of the nightmares of my lifetime involved it somehow (having my personality stuck inside an animal not being able to tell anyone, thx to Shaggy Dog, is the other 10%), so i'm psychically terrified of it and i'm one of very few fears.

this movie is 2 hours of quicksand, of a marriage sinking past redemption and all the hope & wishes & love & struggle upon which a life together might still be based. the pernicious nature of a love which no longer matches a life has never been better presented. i'll put the constructions and execution of this Noah Baumbach piece up against Eugene O'Neil anytime, yet i wish i hadn't seen it
I knew I was in for it within the first 10 or so minutes.  Such a brilliant set up of those letters then cutting to the meeting.  It gave the movie that much more weight and sense of dread.   Like I said, I was sucker punched that much more not knowing anything about the movie besides who was in it and who wrote/directed it.  

I knew I was in for it within the first 10 or so minutes.  Such a brilliant set up of those letters then cutting to the meeting.  It gave the movie that much more weight and sense of dread.   Like I said, I was sucker punched that much more not knowing anything about the movie besides who was in it and who wrote/directed it.  
Glad i didn't know it was Baumbach goin' in or i wouldnta watched. His stuff has always flashed enough talent to make me dislike what he does with it even more vehemously.

Marriage Story

Love Baumbach, so I'm psyched to see this.

TCM tonight - Pink Panther/Clouseau marathon

The Pink Panther
A Shot in the Dark (my favorite Clouseau movie)
The Return of the Pink Panther
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Revenge of the Pink Panther
It's probably been 40 years since I've seen it but one of the times I've laughed hardest in my life is when the over-inflated fake parrot shoots of his shoulder.

Salty Swedish Sea Dog

:lmao:

TCM tonight - Pink Panther/Clouseau marathon

The Pink Panther
A Shot in the Dark (my favorite Clouseau movie)
The Return of the Pink Panther
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Revenge of the Pink Panther
I love the part in Revenge where Closeau returns home and finds that Kato has turned his place into a brothel. Classic!

Upgrade - available on HBO

Very much enjoyed this one. Really interesting and fun concept that introduces some cool futuristic technology. Good camera work, decent acting, some cheesiness but overall a really fun movie that will keep you engaged and entertained throughout. 

Knives Out - Saw it last night. Its very funny. Good whodunit. I thought the ending hit a double not a home run. But overall, very good. Highly recommend.
I agree with you here. It's a fun movie that sort of cleanses the palette for certain types of moviegoers. It looks like most of the cast - especially Evans and Craig - enjoyed their roles. It's a great homage to the genre. 
Agree with all of this. The comedy was well done as was the mystery. Loved Craig and his accent, thought it was a bit over the top but it still worked really well.  

Ana De Armas is beautiful (her sexiness is a bit diluted in this one) but would love to see her in more roles. I recognize her from a movie she was in with Keanu Reeves, Knock Knock. Terribly horrible bad movie, but she is unbelievably smokin in this one. (Free ####### pizza) 

Agree with all of this. The comedy was well done as was the mystery. Loved Craig and his accent, thought it was a bit over the top but it still worked really well.  

Ana De Armas is beautiful (her sexiness is a bit diluted in this one) but would love to see her in more roles. I recognize her from a movie she was in with Keanu Reeves, Knock Knock. Terribly horrible bad movie, but she is unbelievably smokin in this one. (Free ####### pizza) 
She was Joi in Blade Runner 2049.

Just FYI - I think she's the new Bond girl.

And yes, she is beautiful.

I agree with you here. It's a fun movie that sort of cleanses the palette for certain types of moviegoers. It looks like most of the cast - especially Evans and Craig - enjoyed their roles. It's a great homage to the genre. 
:goodposting:  fun movie.  really enjoyed it.

Marriage Story

I don't know which performance was best.  Driver, Scarlett and Dern should all get nominated.  Alda and Liotta were good too.

Dern really nailing it with this and Big Little Lies.

This is peak Scarlett.  The perfect balance.

Edge of Tomorrow 

Through the first 10 minutes I was pretty sure I was going to hate this movie. Ten minutes later though, I was completely hooked. This film is pretty freaking cool and ends up going in a very unexpected direction. Watching this felt like I was playing Call of Duty. Not really a video game movie, but it felt like one.  

Edge of Tomorrow 

Through the first 10 minutes I was pretty sure I was going to hate this movie. Ten minutes later though, I was completely hooked. This film is pretty freaking cool and ends up going in a very unexpected direction. Watching this felt like I was playing Call of Duty. Not really a video game movie, but it felt like one.  
Paxton in full Paxton mode.  I loved this movie.  

Edge of Tomorrow 

I need to watch this one again.  Enjoyed it the first time.  I'm sure it will be just as enjoyable second time around

Edge of Tomorrow 

Always kick myself for not seeing this in the theater.. Great :popcorn:  movie ...
The original title "Live Die Repeat" as well as the marketing and, if I recall correctly, this was right around the time Cruise was in the middle of his psycho year made us skip it..  

I was hoping not to agree with some of the negative reviews but Jordan Peele's Us was pretty bad. It started out good but I was fast forwarding through a bunch of long,drawn out scenes towards the end. Normally, I'd like to think a little deeper about what the movie was trying to say but once it was over, I didn't give it much of a second thought. I really didn't care.

I was hoping not to agree with some of the negative reviews but Jordan Peele's Us was pretty bad. It started out good but I was fast forwarding through a bunch of long,drawn out scenes towards the end. Normally, I'd like to think a little deeper about what the movie was trying to say but once it was over, I didn't give it much of a second thought. I really didn't care.
It's a fine line with horror.  I think some of the best are good tense, scary movies but on rewatching you can get some other social commentary out of it. IMO Peele seems to be coming at it from the perspective of social commentary first, horror second.  I thought Get Out was good, but a little overrated - for me Us was a big dud.  

It's a fine line with horror.  I think some of the best are good tense, scary movies but on rewatching you can get some other social commentary out of it. IMO Peele seems to be coming at it from the perspective of social commentary first, horror second.  I thought Get Out was good, but a little overrated - for me Us was a big dud.  
It's a good point about putting the social commentary above the horror and basically explains why I didn't think much about it afterwards. Make a great horror movie and people will think about the underlying message. Agree about Get Out too. A bit overrated but a rare movie that I hope to watch a second time eventually.

I don't know which performance was best.  Driver, Scarlett and Dern should all get nominated.  Alda and Liotta were good too.

Dern really nailing it with this and Big Little Lies.

This is peak Scarlett.  The perfect balance.
I wrote it above, but between this and JoJo she had a terrific year.

watched Paddleton on Netflix - Mark Duplass and Ray Romano

GF and I both really liked this black comedy. Big fan of Duplass

Wife has been wanting to see Hustlers. Good reviews, I like caper movies (as noted in many reviews) and JLo?? Sure.

Even my wife was disappointed. Her only comment was "well, at least you got to enjoy Jlo".

You only need to watch the first 10 minutes. 😍 After that, shut it off. 

Won some fantasy money, what blu rays should I pull the trigger on?
I know you just bought a Blu-ray player, but I would suggest buying the 4k set of a movie if possible. They normally include the Blu-ray version, are rapidly dropping in price, and you're going to want the 4k eventually. IMO

Now, for Blu-rays...you want classic movies, stuff that just looks good...?

https://www.blu-ray.com/

BestBuy.com is having s B2G1 sale on ALL 4k/BD/DVD today. They also carry Criterion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Dufresne said:
I know you just bought a Blu-ray player, but I would suggest buying the 4k set of a movie if possible. They normally include the Blu-ray version, are rapidly dropping in price, and you're going to want the 4k eventually. IMO

Now, for Blu-rays...you want classic movies, stuff that just looks good...?

https://www.blu-ray.com/

BestBuy.com is having s B2G1 sale on ALL 4k/BD/DVD today. They also carry Criterion.
Yeah when available I’ve gotten some 4K ones that come with the blu ray though based how long it took me to get a BR player, there I will probably be 64k by the time I’m ready to upgrade.

Saw Knives Out and enjoyed it. It's a fun movie and will please any fan of the whodunnit, but I was a little less entertained than I was expecting given the reviews. 

We saw the new Jumanji.

8yo thought it wasn't as funny as the previous one (I'm talking the rock vehicles, not the original two).

12yo thought there was more action.

Both right. Less funny because it's the same body switching schtick, so less fresh and interesting. Plus, I found Danny devitos character borderline unwatchable annoying- whether played by Danny or anybody else.

While its not for me, it's an ok family watch. Although for some reason they throw in some random swearing that seemed unnecessary (s word) 

Users who are viewing this thread