Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Lots of discussion lately about classic films which reminds me that I find Ingrid Bergman radiant in almost every role I've seen and Katherine Hepburn irritating in at least 1/2 of hers.

Anyone else agree or feel the opposite?

Radiant is the word. I've only seen two actresses who generated their own light on film, Ingrid Bergman and Jennifer Lawrence. Maybe Audrey Hepburn, but a very different wattage. An old business partner of mine grew up in Beverly Hills and met several golden age stars as a child. The ones he'd make most note of were Edward G Robinson and Miss Bergman. This Frank would thrill in stories of Eddy G's many kindnesses, but he'd get quiet and his eyes would moisten & heart swell when he was to speak of the latter. For one, he remembered her as a true giantess, says she was over 6 ft tall (wiki say 5'9) and looked sculpted compared to the other fancy folk at his father's parties. Not merely of a different species but an alternate universe. And, of course, when she'd give him attention, she made him feel like the only person in the world, immediately speaking in the language of his conceptions instead of the "hey, buddy" patronizations of adultspeak. Sounds deep, but we had a lot of long drives from Reno down to San Luis Obispo in the early 90s when we were trying to get them to license us a poker room (Cali was county-tolerance on gaming then) and i'd let the ol' fella wax at his own pace in these stories about basking in Ingrid Bergman's glow. I was already well used to watching her unfurl onscreen by then but, ever since, my own chest fills with the lustwonder i inherited from Frank when i watch her onscreen.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, wikkidpissah said:

an oddly modern flick. still can't say i care for it, much as i recognize that

The last Wednesday Showcase of Cinematographer's Month on TCM starts with a bang this week - Kieślowski's Blue (when i saw it listed as the 6am kickstarter, i was hoping we were going to get a triple-feature of the Three Colours films, but alas no) and probably the least-viewed of the MOVIES EVERYONE MUST SEE,  Wings of Desire @ 8am, followed by Paris, Texas, Being There, Das Boot, Hong Kong classic In the Mood For Love (looking fwd to my first viewing of this), Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey wrapping it up @ 4am.

I froze at B&N the other night when I went in to look at the Criterion selection and ended up not getting anything.  I love this movie, and I am kicking myself for not picking up the Three Colors trilogy for $40.  Still might go back before November is over and grab that.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Imitation Game

Continuing along my quest to catch up on my misses of the last decade, and this movie was absolutely amazing :hey:@wikkidpissah.   0 clue what took me so long to watch, since I have had it a few time at the house, but I ended up watching it twice in the last couple days.  Fascinating story that I only new the peripherals of, brilliant performance by Cumberbatch, and absolutely heartbreaking at the end.  Should vault up any list of best of the decade and be towards the top.  

:thumbup:

Excellent movie.

7 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Bergman and Grace Kelly are literally breathtaking.

Others come close but there's nothing like those two.

To this day, this is the most erotic moment in cinema history (outside of latinachubbymature.com, of course)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Bergman and Grace Kelly are literally breathtaking.

Others come close but there's nothing like those two.

Not sure how many older movies I had seen up to that point, but I remember watching Rear Window for the first time (my first intro to Grace Kelly), and being mesmerized by her.  

On 11/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, wikkidpissah said:

@Ilov80s favorite and one of the more watchable silent epics, 1928's The Passion of Joan of Arc, on TCM @ midnight tonight

ETA: also reminding all of @Eephus's rec in the Movie Club thread of hippie-noir The Late Show @ 6:15pm

Thanks for bringing up The Late Show. My dad mentioned that awhile ago and I was waiting to catch it. What a funny neo noir. Tomlin was hysterical. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Mr. Mojo said:

Lots of discussion lately about classic films which reminds me that I find Ingrid Bergman radiant in almost every role I've seen and Katherine Hepburn irritating in at least 1/2 of hers.

Anyone else agree or feel the opposite?

I think Bergman is a great actress but I don’t find her quite as gorgeous as everyone says. And no I don’t find Hepburn irritating but I get how people could. I dig her mid-Atlantic old money Ivy League attitude. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I think Bergman is a great actress but I don’t find her quite as gorgeous as everyone says. And no I don’t find Hepburn irritating but I get how people could. I dig her mid-Atlantic old money Ivy League attitude. 

More goddess than siren, Bergman. She gets more of a "iwishiwishiwish" than a "unhh" from me, because of her personal luminosity.

Hepburn is the most important actress ever. She's got a man's way of being a woman and that has elevated the thicker thex's conthideration of female capacity more than any other. I'm just tired of her now, as i was a li'lbit even when i appreciated her most.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

More goddess than siren, Bergman. She gets more of a "iwishiwishiwish" than a "unhh" from me, because of her personal luminosity.

Hepburn is the most important actress ever. She's got a man's way of being a woman and that has elevated the thicker thex's conthideration of female capacity more than any other. I'm just tired of her now, as i was a li'lbit even when i appreciated her most.

The public generally tired of her from the early days. Much of her 40s-50s appeal was seeing her torn down. 

Found some huge blu ray half off sales at a local shop. Added 23 more blu rays. 

35 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

WB Archive 4/$44.

Actually, anything over four titles are $11 each.

Incredible options: Night Moves? Gun Crazy?  

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

Bad Day At Black Rock

Seven Days In May

Ordered Night Moves, Gun Crazy, The Big Sleep. Out of the Past and The Thin Man. #NOIRDER

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Found some huge blu ray half off sales at a local shop. Added 23 more blu rays. 

One of my faves is the $5 bin at Walmart. I have been surprised what I find in there.  

Eta: pretty sure stuff like The Wrestler, Black Swan, Die Hard, Nightcrawler,  and a handful of others have been gotten from the bin.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

One of my faves is the $5 bin at Walmart. I have been surprised what I find in there.  

Eta: pretty sure stuff like The Wrestler, Black Swan, Die Hard, Nightcrawler,  and a handful of others have been gotten from the bin.  

Local place had a used blu ray 50% off sale for Black Friday. I saw $6 on most of them and assumed that was the price for the sale- nope it was 50% off that. I started scooping from there. 

56 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Iirc, this was an episode of Bojack. And bad things resulted.

Just rewatched Searching . Very well made thriller starring John Cho who realizes he doesn't know his daughter as she goes missing.

Really liked the way it was filmed

80s bluray kick is interesting to me since so many people seem to be going the opposite way and dumping physical media.   I am just curious - what criteria are you using for deciding what you are buying?  Favorites?  you think they will look good on bluray?  bonus features? 

On 11/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, wikkidpissah said:

an oddly modern flick. still can't say i care for it, much as i recognize that

The last Wednesday Showcase of Cinematographer's Month on TCM starts with a bang this week - Kieślowski's Blue (when i saw it listed as the 6am kickstarter, i was hoping we were going to get a triple-feature of the Three Colours films, but alas no) and probably the least-viewed of the MOVIES EVERYONE MUST SEE,  Wings of Desire @ 8am, followed by Paris, Texas, Being There, Das Boot, Hong Kong classic In the Mood For Love (looking fwd to my first viewing of this), Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey wrapping it up @ 4am.

Watched Wings of Desire on the recommendation of @krista4

It’s every bit as strange, smart and gorgeous as I anticipated. I really enjoy that kind of Central European intellectual esthetic that was happening in the 80s and 90s. It was like getting into the heads of a hundred different Milan Kundera characters while also seeing a stunning documentary of Berlin. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, KarmaPolice said:

80s bluray kick is interesting to me since so many people seem to be going the opposite way and dumping physical media.   I am just curious - what criteria are you using for deciding what you are buying?  Favorites?  you think they will look good on bluray?  bonus features? 

Not much rhyme or reason- just movies I like and anticipate wanting to watch again. I am giving some extra weight to movies that would look good. The Searchers looked incredible-  better than many modern movies I’ve seen on blu ray. I got Mad Max Fury Road. I’ve never seen seen it but for $3, I’m sure it will look and sound awesome.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Not much rhyme or reason- just movies I like and anticipate wanting to watch again. I am giving some extra weight to movies that would look good. The Searchers looked incredible-  better than many modern movies I’ve seen on blu ray. I got Mad Max Fury Road. I’ve never seen seen it but for $3, I’m sure it will look and sound awesome.

I will be interested in your take.  This is a movie for whatever reason I feel I need to reconcile with - seems like it's near the top of every list of best of the decade.  I also bought it on the cheap (I think in the $5 bin), and think digging through the bonus features might help.    There was a post Black Friday box when I was there yesterday and grabbed First Man and The Revenant for $9 total.  

34 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will be interested in your take.  This is a movie for whatever reason I feel I need to reconcile with - seems like it's near the top of every list of best of the decade.  I also bought it on the cheap (I think in the $5 bin), and think digging through the bonus features might help.    There was a post Black Friday box when I was there yesterday and grabbed First Man and The Revenant for $9 total.  

Sounds like I need to do some shopping...

Best Buy seems to be treating their non-Disney Blu-ray section to be a loss leader. There are a lot of good movies for cheap in their bargain bins - and they rotate titles in that bin every so often.

Their 4k titles aren't terrible either (again, unless they're Disney).

6 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Best Buy seems to be treating their non-Disney Blu-ray section to be a loss leader. There are a lot of good movies for cheap in their bargain bins - and they rotate titles in that bin every so often.

Their 4k titles aren't terrible either (again, unless they're Disney).

Might have to try there next time.  I haven't been in a BB for years since the last time I was in one I was asked about 8 times if I wanted to sign up for DirecTV.  

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

It’s every bit as strange, smart and gorgeous as I anticipated. I really enjoy that kind of Central European intellectual esthetic that was happening in the 80s and 90s. It was like getting into the heads of a hundred different Milan Kundera characters while also seeing a stunning documentary of Berlin. 

it certainly was a strange way to start one's day (dont have DVR or whatever so watched it from bed @ 8am). krista & floppy have been the angels of this movie on FFA and it was because of their love for it that i first watched Wings of Desire a few years ago.

i have always felt like an angel descended because i was raised Catholic, blessed w estimable quickread talents - so i always know people too intimately too quickly - and have always had an overwhelming belief in the virgin day (that each day is a gift). Sixty years i wandered this earth not knowing if i had a friend in this feeling until floppy & krista turned me on to Bruno Ganz's remarkable portrayal of Damiel. the film is a fine version of a great concept, but it is Ganz's wide-angle eyes and ability to make hope & appetite feel like the same thing that tunes me like an abandoned piano.

anyways, getting up feeling like an angel is not a good way to treat a virgin day. i had a tussle w my phone carrier and had NO patience w the temporal fidgets of customer service, fought the desire to poison my peeps w the holiday turkey (as i've done to myself several times for some reason) as they listed the sides i just HAD to make for them the next day and eventually gave up, went back to bed and re-binged my other favorite celestial media, the tragically majestic Angels in America.

ETA: and, having watched Al Pacino so badly misplay Roy Cohn AND Jimmy Hoffa in the same weekend, i never want to watch him act again. might even toss my beloved Dog Day Afternoon & Looking for Richard (i'm the only person who liked that flick) DVDs.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Campanero!

This is my favorite film...so much done so well in those couple hours- for me a perfect distillation of writing, story telling, character development, acting, editing, visuals, sound, art and music direction (love the soundtrack) .

I love hearing wikkids explanation of Bruno and how the character relates to his life. For me it's Peter falks inclusion, which iirc was last minute and improvised, that puts the movie into the elite territory. Loved that he was playing himself...but Fallen angel or devil? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

The Clint film about the terror attack on the train in France is as bad as anything I can remember seeing. Wow.

Just saw a poster for his next film...about the guy arrested for the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Not sure what the appeal of that story is.

29 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Just saw a poster for his next film...about the guy arrested for the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Not sure what the appeal of that story is.

Many will pay to see anything with his name on it and he works so quickly, his films continue to have the appearance that there is far more concern for getting it out fast than making a quality film.

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I am kind of I interested in this.  

In case you don't the story

The appeal is the security guard that got arrested had his life ruined for something he didn't do ... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Beautifully put.  Glad you enjoyed it.

wikkid nailed it regarding Bruno Ganz as well.

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Campanero!

This is my favorite film...so much done so well in those couple hours- for me a perfect distillation of writing, story telling, character development, acting, editing, visuals, sound, art and music direction (love the soundtrack) .

I love hearing wikkids explanation of Bruno and how the character relates to his life. For me it's Peter falks inclusion, which iirc was last minute and improvised, that puts the movie into the elite territory. Loved that he was playing himself...but Fallen angel or devil? 

I knew you were a fellow aficionado, but didn't realize we both had it pegged as our favorite movie.  :hifive: 

On another front, for fans of the Up Series, which should be all of us, there was a fascinating article about it in the NYT magazine this weekend.  The final chapter, 63 Up, was just released.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, belljr said:

I am kind of I interested in this.  

In case you don't the story

Hide contents

The appeal is the security guard that got arrested had his life ruined for something he didn't do ... 

Guy was a legit hero that saved lives. Then He was thrown under the bus and convicted in the court of public opinion. Life ruined. It was deplorable.

• Like 4

I tried to watch SHAZAMM! over the weekend.  Got about 45 minutes in or so.  Just did nothing for me up to that point.  Though I grant I know literally nothing about the character at all. Still, I don't know if I will finish it.

3 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I tried to watch SHAZAMM! over the weekend.  Got about 45 minutes in or so.  Just did nothing for me up to that point.  Though I grant I know literally nothing about the character at all. Still, I don't know if I will finish it.

It was horrible. Don't bother with the rest.

16 hours ago, krista4 said:

On another front, for fans of the Up Series, which should be all of us, there was a fascinating article about it in the NYT magazine this weekend.  The final chapter, 63 Up, was just released.

Remarkable stuff. Seen most of em & marvel over the participation each time since the prep seems so casual "Oh, is it 7 years again? Let's pop 'round to those we can find". Such a non-American way of doing things - UpKids over here would be pitching their sagas to magazine shows in between & such. I suppose that's its strength - the UpKids aren't UpKids so self-consistency  is maintained. I missed 56Up - dunno whether to catch up or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Briefly thought this was that Shaquille O'Neal genie movie, until I realized that was Kazaam. But I'm not sure which one I'd rather watch if forced to pick.

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

4 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It was horrible. Don't bother with the rest.

My family and I liked it quite a bit. To each their own I guess. The reviews are usually above 90% positive. 

On 11/29/2019 at 8:25 PM, badmojo1006 said:

Just rewatched Searching . Very well made thriller starring John Cho who realizes he doesn't know his daughter as she goes missing.

Really liked the way it was filmed

I liked this film quite a bit as well mainly because of the way that it was filmed. Very creative. Plot and acting was good as well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Payne said:

My family and I liked it quite a bit. To each their own I guess. The reviews are usually above 90% positive. 

That's the ugliest hat I've ever seen...looks good on you though! ;)

3 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Briefly thought this was that Shaquille O'Neal genie movie, until I realized that was Kazaam. But I'm not sure which one I'd rather watch if forced to pick.

Lol.

Knives Out - Saw it last night. Its very funny. Good whodunit. I thought the ending hit a double not a home run. But overall, very good. Highly recommend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Knives Out - Saw it last night. Its very funny. Good whodunit. I thought the ending hit a double not a home run. But overall, very good. Highly recommend.

I agree with you here. It's a fun movie that sort of cleanses the palette for certain types of moviegoers. It looks like most of the cast - especially Evans and Craig - enjoyed their roles. It's a great homage to the genre. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintfool said:

I agree with you here. It's a fun movie that sort of cleanses the palette for certain types of moviegoers. It looks like most of the cast - especially Evans and Craig - enjoyed their roles. It's a great homage to the genre. 

This is a good point. You described it well - a fun movie made by people who were clearly having fun making it.

4 hours ago, whoknew said:

Watched the trailers and they must not show any of the funny parts. :shrug:  I like the genre, tho, so may go this weekend.

2 hours ago, falguy said:

Watched the trailers and they must not show any of the funny parts. :shrug:  I like the genre, tho, so may go this weekend.

Daniel Craig in a thick Southern accent is pretty funny to me 

On 11/23/2019 at 10:33 PM, bigbottom said:

Just watched Luce.  91% on Rotten Tomatoes, but regular viewers tend to either love it or hate it. It’s an admittedly imperfect movie, but I thought the broader themes were very thought-provoking, and it also worked more simply as an intense, slow burn thriller (not an action thriller though, so moderate your expectations accordingly). The acting performances were also really quite good. Movie description:

A married couple is forced to reckon with their idealized image of their son, adopted from war-torn Eritrea, after an alarming discovery by a devoted high school teacher threatens his status as an all-star student.

I’ve had good luck lately stumbling across really interesting new rentals that didn’t get a lot of exposure. First it was Luce, reviewed above, and now I just watched Freaks, which is an excellent science fiction movie that relies far more on good acting and an interesting storyline than special effects. Great performances by Emile Hirsch, Bruce Dern and the little girl who is the central character.