What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

While trying to find a decent sci-fi flick I realized I hadn't watched A Scanner Darkly. It has solid reviews and I couldn't believe I have missed it. However, I am struggling with it. I've started it twice, both times late at night and fell asleep, but I wasn't exactly getting into it. Does it get better?
It's a "high concept" film, which is a fancy way of saying No it doesn't get better but it still explores some interesting concepts.
.. and it helps if you are high while watching it.

John Wick - I thought it was fun. I knew exactly what it was going to be and it delivered on that. I also don't get the complaint about it being too dark to follow the action, I didn't have that problem at all.

I wonder it it's awesome or if it sucks to be Alfie Allen? I mean sure he is a famous actor that gets some pretty big parts in major productions but he must know that every time he gets a casting call the role is going to be some kind of weak-willed-idiotic-insufferable-#####bag. He's turning into the William Atherton of this generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
While trying to find a decent sci-fi flick I realized I hadn't watched A Scanner Darkly. It has solid reviews and I couldn't believe I have missed it. However, I am struggling with it. I've started it twice, both times late at night and fell asleep, but I wasn't exactly getting into it. Does it get better?
It's a "high concept" film, which is a fancy way of saying No it doesn't get better but it still explores some interesting concepts.
.. and it helps if you are high while watching it.
Wow, it does? I am glad I didn't watch it sober then.

Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.

The Body/El Cuerpo

This is fantastic. One of the better movies I have seen in a while. This type of movie appeals to me anyway so I might be a little over the top but I think most people would really like it. I don't want to say too much about it but if you think it's a horror movie it is not, it's more of a mystery/thriller movie. Highly recommended.

4.5/5

Fly said:
Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.
:lmao:

If it helps.. My wife and I will be married 24 years this June and the first Movie we ever saw together was " Fatal Attraction" :mellow:

Was in a crabby mood last night (which probably led to the reactions), but I wanted a few laughs, so I tried:

Dumb and Dumber To, Horrible Bosses 2, and The Interview

I only was able to make it through about 1 hour of each of the movies, and maybe laughed a combined 2 times in that nearly 3 hours wasted. All 3 = 3/10
maybe watching something funny when you`re not in the mood to laugh isnt such a great way to gauge a comedy...watching a violent blood fest would be more appropriate IMO
I was in a bad mood, but was in the mood to laugh/wanted to laugh. I just ended up popping in Arrested Development and watching that and laughing.

Are you saying that those three movies are funny?
well i havent see HB or D& D...but i got more than a few laughs from the Interview...James Franco nailed his part
Couldn't watch the first two, but The Interview was funny.

Nanny McPhee.

Don't judge me. I couldn't sleep. The color of the movie was really well done. But other than that...... I don't know how this made over $100 million.

Hell's Angels - 1930 Howard Hughes

Watched the Aviator the other day and the whole first part of The Aviator details Hughes making of this film. Made it sound like a great epic, so I checked it out at my local library.

The film is pretty groundbreaking for the time. Was made for around 4 million in 1930. 3 pilots and a ground crew person actually died during filming (Hughes nearly died as well during a stunt). Hughes actually started making it as a silent picture, but by the time he had nearly finished it, talkies were in vogue. So he went back and reedited the film as a talkie. This was Jean Harlow's first feature film (think she was 16-17 at the time).

The dogfighting scenes in it are incredible.

Highly recommend 7.5/10

The Maze Runner - I don't get it. Does every YA book series need to be made into a film trilogy? I guess it was better than Divergent but Divergent sucked balls. The one thing they have in common, aside from desperately wanting to be the next Hunger Games (and failing miserably) and sucking many, many, balls, is that they don't even bother to pretend that they are complete films and the cliffhanger endings only increase the level of ball suckitude.

Balls.

Do we need to put out an APB on Jdogg? He hasn't posted in here yet and I am starting to worry that he may have decided to go down with the old RVMT - (RE).

And despite what the OP says the old thread has not been archived yet. In fact the whole Archive forum seems to be DOA.

I just saw it and thought it was very good for 2:15 and then had one of the worst endings in recent film. Still can't get over how absurd it ended.

I just saw it and thought it was very good for 2:15 and then had one of the worst endings in recent film. Still can't get over how absurd it ended.
Still trying to finish it. Not good so far

Still dont get all the hate for Gone Girl. I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Sure, the ending was a bit off, but at least it was different and didn't go the route of damn near every other movie.

I see another one of Flynn's books is coming out soon too.

Still dont get all the hate for Gone Girl. I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Sure, the ending was a bit off, but at least it was different and didn't go the route of damn near every other movie.

It was a very good film and I really had no problem with the ending. I thought it was nicely demonstrated that part of Affleck's enjoyed the celebrity status that came with the way events unfolded.

Are people bothered by the fact that he chose the route he did rather than

Not playing along with her scheme. Is it because you feel that if you were in that situation you would have kicked her ### to the curb and not let yourself be manipulated in that way?

St. Vincent - It's pretty much what you would expect from an "odd-couple" type of film, it hits all the standard plot elements and doesn't break much new ground. Still I found it pretty funny and witty and charming. Murray is very solid as always, McCarthy really tones it down and brings a nice calmness to her humor that is surprising considering how 3-D she typically is. Naomi Watts is also pretty darn good as the pregnant, Russian stripper in many ways she is the highlight of the film.

Worth watching.

St. Vincent - It's pretty much what you would expect from an "odd-couple" type of film, it hits all the standard plot elements and doesn't break much new ground. Still I found it pretty funny and witty and charming. Murray is very solid as always, McCarthy really tones it down and brings a nice calmness to her humor that is surprising considering how 3-D she typically is. Naomi Watts is also pretty darn good as the pregnant, Russian stripper in many ways she is the highlight of the film.

Worth watching.
:lmao:

I didn't even realize that was Naomi Watts.

It was a very good film and I really had no problem with the ending. I thought it was nicely demonstrated that part of Affleck's enjoyed the celebrity status that came with the way events unfolded.Are people bothered by the fact that he chose the route he did rather than

Not playing along with her scheme. Is it because you feel that if you were in that situation you would have kicked her ### to the curb and not let yourself be manipulated in that way?
Finishing it now, but the story is not compelling to me at all.

Worth watching.
I agree with everything except Naomi Watts. Thought she was non-descript. Was really surprised Watts got the Golden Globe nomination instead of McCarthy. I really enjoy McCarthy when she does calm it down instead of her usual flailing (Tammy, Identity theft, )

I said that the majority of the movie was very good. But the ending was more that "a bit off". It was absurd. It's OK to be different, but not ludicrous. Makes me wonder if the book ended the same way.

It was a very good film and I really had no problem with the ending. I thought it was nicely demonstrated that part of Affleck's enjoyed the celebrity status that came with the way events unfolded.

Spoiler Alert:

I hate my control freak wife so much I want to divorce her

I hate her so much, I want to have an affair with someone else for 1.5 years

My wife frames me for murder so I can get the death penalty and is an elaborate schemer for revenge

My wife kills some guy by slitting his throat with a box cutter

My wife gets pregnant by someone else and implies that it's mine

My wife makes me a couple breakfasts and starts ordering me around again

Gee, let's stay together after all. :wub:

Yeah, that was an OK ending. :excited:

Spoiler Alert:

My wife frames me for murder so I can get the death penalty and is an elaborate schemer for revenge

you got the bolded wrong and now must rewatch the movie until you get it correct.

Spoiler Alert:

It was Affleck's kid, she froze his sperm
That change anything for you? Seems like a pretty big deal in regards to your critique.

Spoiler Alert:

That change anything for you? Seems like a pretty big deal in regards to your critique.

It's not enough to stay with her. Paying child support is a more than reasonable option here and seems pretty obvious.

Spoiler Alert:

It's not enough to stay with her. Paying child support is a more than reasonable option here and seems pretty obvious.

seemed like he was taking the chance to grow up and care about somebody else more than himself; he knew that kid would be ####ed if it was just the psycho mom.

not saying I accept or agree with that stance- but I get it.

I don't get police just walking away from the other actual murder.

Spoiler Alert:

seemed like he was taking the chance to grow up and care about somebody else more than himself; he knew that kid would be ####ed if it was just the psycho mom.

I agree with you there.

I don't believe that any sane person with a choice (no one is threatening to kill them if they leave) would stay with someone who they already hate, knowing that any sleight to the person could result in calculated revenge as extreme as murder.

Spoiler Alert:

I agree with you there.

I don't believe that any sane person with a choice (no one is threatening to kill them if they leave) would stay with someone who they already hate, knowing that any sleight to the person could result in calculated revenge as extreme as murder.

So much for spoilers, I guess.

Again, it was his child and leaving it with psycho mom does not seem very realistic either. But I actually think that fact is beside the point. I think the intent was to demonstrate that Affleck's character begrudgingly admitted to himself that he did enjoy the celebrity that would come from with staying with her (struggling author and all) compared to the notoriety that would come from him leaving her. For the most part he was portrayed as a victim in the film (and in act 2 we find out it is of her sinister plot) but the character himself (absent the murder/kidnapping scenario) was a shallow and vain person who wanted to be a famous author but was likely too middling of a talent to achieve it. I think him staying is merely an acknowledgement that it was the best path to get what he really wanted in life (or at least it was the path of least resistance).

Big Hero 6, very good kids movie. Thought penguins was funnier and BH6 isn't one of my favorites but it's a fun watch.

Spoiler Alert:

I agree with you there.

So much for spoilers, I guess.

Again, it was his child and leaving it with psycho mom does not seem very realistic either. But I actually think that fact is beside the point. I think the intent was to demonstrate that Affleck's character begrudgingly admitted to himself that he did enjoy the celebrity that would come from with staying with her (struggling author and all) compared to the notoriety that would come from him leaving her. For the most part he was portrayed as a victim in the film (and in act 2 we find out it is of her sinister plot) but the character himself (absent the murder/kidnapping scenario) was a shallow and vain person who wanted to be a famous author but was likely too middling of a talent to achieve it. I think him staying is merely an acknowledgement that it was the best path to get what he really wanted in life (or at least it was the path of least resistance).

I think that the consequence of living in fear every day overwhelms any worries about good or bad publicity. It also seems like selling his story to the media would make him famous and likely rich, anyway, without her.

Do we need to put out an APB on Jdogg? He hasn't posted in here yet and I am starting to worry that he may have decided to go down with the old RVMT - (RE).
noticed that as well.

also, will Krista come back in since we haven't talked tv yet?

Watched Taxi Driver, Scarface, and Gladiator the other day.

Taxi Driver is still an all-timer.

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.

Foxcatcher:

I really liked the performances by Ruffalo and Tatum, but overall I thought the movie was quite boring and it took a bit of willpower to get through it.

KarmaPolice said:

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.
The soundtrack for Scarface is a real killer for replay value.

KarmaPolice said:

The soundtrack for Scarface is a real killer for replay value.
Giorgio Moroder was the composer. Cat People is probably his best movie score.

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?
I watched this last year and thought it was an excellent film. Very powerful and highly frustrating stuff. I wanted to go back and read my review in the old thread but it appears that the archive forum where it is supposed to be is not a real thing so I can't. I hope they fix that, it would be a bummer to have lost the whole thing.

The Hunt

4/5

such a loaded question. So many good ones, and without knowing what you have seen. Must see ones off the top of my head:

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

if you like horror movies:

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]

The Hunt

4/5

I watched this last year and thought it was an excellent film. Very powerful and highly frustrating stuff. I wanted to go back and read my review in the old thread but it appears that the archive forum where it is supposed to be is not a real thing so I can't. I hope they fix that, it would be a bummer to have lost the whole thing.
yes it would. That thread was one of the best on the boards.

Users who are viewing this thread