What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Thanks for the recs, I will keep an eye out. Are his movies often those kind of anthologies or interwewaving storylines? Or does he usually do more traditional stories.
It's a mix.  The three in my top picks are more traditional single storylines.  Other like Night on Earth are interweaving, and then others like Coffee and Cigarettes are a series of vignettes.

You need to do better than "keeping an eye out," though.  You need to make it a point to seek them out.  :lol:  

ETA:  I particularly think you might appreciate Down By Law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t deny I developed a quick crush on Mitsuko. It was a little bit of a bummer when she left the movie but yeah it’s a really good movie. What’s the next Jarmusch film to check out? 
I see K4 covered this...and I agree with her top two picks for you. I'll add that I flat out love Down by Law. Cast is in explicably fantastic (lurie, waits, and benigni) but it's Jarmusch's setting up gorgeous scenes with static camera and letting everything breath with the characters just inhabiting the space and time...kinda reminded me of slowly wandering through a museum and parking yourself in front of paintings that catch your eye long enough to take everything in....sometimes even longer. This pacing and approach isn't for people who just want traditional storytelling/action...iirc, Ghost Dog takes a more traditional approach in that regard.

ETA...I also remember leaving the theater after Mystery Train feeling unsatisfied...can't remember the movie at all now- but remember thinking it was one the one where Jarmusch lost his way (for me).

Watched Safety Last! earlier. :pigeon: 🕜Available on YouTube due to copyright being expired. Harold Lloyd is pretty timeless. I think I need to look for more silents on YouTube.

I suggested to my wife watching The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) tonight in honor of Olivia de Havilland’s 104th birthday today. Rejected. :kicksrock:

I was looking at a "best of 2020" list and trying some of those out that might be on a streaming service or cheap on VOD.   First up was...

The Vast of Night -

The pic looked bad when it popped up, but I was listening to a podcast that had it #2 on their list, and I am glad I watched this one.  Right in my wheelhouse.   It's a sci-fi story that's been done 100 times, but I loved the feel of the movie and that it was from the viewpoint of the young radio guy and phone operator.   This one is a low budget debut, but the camera work and style was great.   It's a bit slow moving, but I was into it the whole time and loved it.   This one is on Prime.   7.5/10

I was looking at a "best of 2020" list and trying some of those out that might be on a streaming service or cheap on VOD.   First up was...

The Vast of Night -

The pic looked bad when it popped up, but I was listening to a podcast that had it #2 on their list, and I am glad I watched this one.  Right in my wheelhouse.   It's a sci-fi story that's been done 100 times, but I loved the feel of the movie and that it was from the viewpoint of the young radio guy and phone operator.   This one is a low budget debut, but the camera work and style was great.   It's a bit slow moving, but I was into it the whole time and loved it.   This one is on Prime.   7.5/10
I liked it. Am going to watch again. The long takes, rat-a-tat dialog, and tracking shots make this worth a watch on at least a technical level.

Watched as an examination of communication, it's quite good.

Memory: The Origins of Alien was an excellent doc on the making of Alien.

Richard Jewell was better than expected.

I liked it. Am going to watch again. The long takes, rat-a-tat dialog, and tracking shots make this worth a watch on at least a technical level.

Good analysis. I didn't think it was much, esoecially in a non pandemic time. But it has some nice technical aspects with camera work, lighting, art direction, editing that elevate it. Acting doesn't help, but it's worth watching these days...they try ####, which I appreciate.

I assume some of those shots were on a drone the way it was moving around outside and through the gym?

Watched Safety Last! earlier. :pigeon: 🕜Available on YouTube due to copyright being expired. Harold Lloyd is pretty timeless. I think I need to look for more silents on YouTube.

I suggested to my wife watching The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) tonight in honor of Olivia de Havilland’s 104th birthday today. Rejected. :kicksrock:
Not sure if you have HBO Max but they have maybe 15-20 Chaplin movies available, including many of his early shorts. 

I assume some of those shots were on a drone the way it was moving around outside and through the gym?
How they did it...

“It’s a mixture of go-karts and camera gimbals and stitching,” Patterson said, reluctant to reveal that there were, in fact, some digital effects to seamlessly blend together everything captured in-camera.

“Everything is actually shot,” he continued. “But we didn’t use a drone. We used camera gimbals to offset the motion. And then we ran [the camera] down the road going 45 miles an hour on go-karts and then they would hand it off and we’d let it go on and on and on. And so it is not 100 percent practical, but shooting is practical [and] the geography is carefully created for this movie.”

Not sure if you have HBO Max but they have maybe 15-20 Chaplin movies available, including many of his early shorts. 
I have HBO Go through my cable instead of HBO Max. I should figure out how to make the switch though.  I do like Chaplin — I own a handful of Chaplin’s Criterion editions on Blu-Ray (The Kid, City Lights, The Circus, and Modern Times).

I have HBO Go through my cable instead of HBO Max. I should figure out how to make the switch though.  I do like Chaplin — I own a handful of Chaplin’s Criterion editions on Blu-Ray (The Kid, City Lights, The Circus, and Modern Times).
Not sure how it works but it was free for me to make the switch. Just needed to register through the app (my wife did it so I don’t know the exact details)

Bought the 4K disc of Jaws - it's phenomenal. The movie still holds up.

With theaters reopening, they're showing a lot of other movies. We went to Back To The  Future last week and it was awesome, as always. Will see my all-time favorite movie E.T. later this week.

Went to Jurassic Park last night and was shocked to find - it no longer holds up for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it but the cool parts seem no longer enough to ever come the dumb parts. Made me a little sad.
E.T. was great, although my setup at home is so good that I enjoy this older movies as much there as in the theater. I'm going to the theater just to "help them out". My wife and I were the only ones in the theater for E.T.

Next week - The Empire Strikes Back!

I watched 1776- had no clue it was a musical. I am not sure I needed a Founding Fathers Musical starring a young Mr. Feeny but it was alright. 

I watched 1776- had no clue it was a musical. I am not sure I needed a Founding Fathers Musical starring a young Mr. Feeny but it was alright. 
I watched it when I was younger and remembered it kind of odd. I record from TCM over the weekend — seemed time for a rewatch.

The Vast of Night -

I enjoyed this a lot.  loved the long takes

Saw two new films recently:

Da 5 Bloods

Spike Lee's new Netflix film has its moments - the filming in Vietnam is beautiful and there are some genuinely powerful moments - but overall this movie is very uneven and too long (I could have handled 2.5 hours if the movie was good). If you're thinking about watching this, I'd recommend you watch Lee's superior BlacKKKlansman instead. 

The King of Staten Island

Judd Apatow's new film starring Pete Davidson is fantastic. Mirroring Davidson's life in that the actor lost his father at a very young age, this is a wonderful, funny movie. Davidson is a natural actor, and totally willing to be genuinely vulnerable at times. I loved it. 

Been binging Sam Fuller movies. He was such a great director. Underworld USA might be my favorite. Any other fans of his?

Been binging Sam Fuller movies. He was such a great director. Underworld USA might be my favorite. Any other fans of his?
Which ones have you watched lately? I have a vague recollection of seeing The Big Red One 15-20 years ago, but more recently I have seen White Dog, Shock Corridor, and I am pretty sure I watch The Naked Kiss, but it might be confusing that one with another movie.   

I actually thought of him yesterday as I added more to my HBO queue and saw Shock Corridor on there.  

Been plowing through a bunch of movies on HBO with mostly positive, but varying results: 

Jaws, Doctor Sleep, Philadelphia Story, Aliens, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Maltese Falcon, Misery, The Fighter, and Midway.  

I think in that group there are two 10s,  two 9s, one 8, two 6s, a 5, and a 3.   Probably not too hard to figure out what was what.    I've seen a few of those before, but either new or a long time for about 1/2 of them.  

Looks like the next wave of movies includes:  He Got Game, Ford v Ferrari, Frantic, Magnolia, Treasure of Sierra Madre, and a huge pile of foreign movies.  

I watched Due Date with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifinakis . I wouldn't say I'd recommend it but it wasn't horrible.

KarmaPolice said:
Which ones have you watched lately? I have a vague recollection of seeing The Big Red One 15-20 years ago, but more recently I have seen White Dog, Shock Corridor, and I am pretty sure I watch The Naked Kiss, but it might be confusing that one with another movie.   

I actually thought of him yesterday as I added more to my HBO queue and saw Shock Corridor on there.  
I haven't seen Shock Corridor. The ones I especially like are: Pickup on South Street, Underworld USA, The Steel Helmet and The Crimson Kimono. Even two of his lesser movies, I Shot Jesse James and The Baron of Arizona were surprisingly solid after a very worrisome opening 15-20 minutes. 

Watched Underground (95) and it's been awhile since I have seen a movie that great. It is a Serbian war comedy that's both deeply dark and yet completely slapstick. It won the Palm d' Or in 1995 and I can see why- what a wild, crazy and hilarious film. Also, what a cursed people that final generation of Yugoslavia was. The film essentially tells their story from NAZI invasion to Communist control to the war that split the country apart. 

I think if Ford v Ferrari came out in 2018, it would have won Best Picture and probably 7 more Oscars. It was that good and the exact right kind of movie most years. It just ran into a murderers row in 2019. 

Started Ford v Ferrari this afternoon.  This is a damn fun movie.  Will finish it tonight.  
I watched it on HBO last week; agree on it being a fun movie.  I went in with somewhat low expectations, as I hate most car racing type movies (and lucky me that my kid’s favorite movie is Cars, so I get more than my desired fill of it). But story, cinematography, and acting all above the level that I usually see in those movies.  

Creed - More of the same from a Rocky movie...but that's not bad. Enjoyed it.

Aliens - Still a top 10ish movie for me. I've been wondering if & when we'd get a 4k of this one. But I'd forgotten how great the Blu-ray was; I'm not sure a 4k is necessary.

Started Ford v Ferrari this afternoon.  This is a damn fun movie.  Will finish it tonight.  
Just watched this for the first time. It was a fun movie. I kind of want to know how true it was but I don't really care enough to look it up. Great acting!!!

The Postman Always Rings Twice - Disappointing

The first half is good noir, and Lana Turner really is something else. But the second half, when we get to the double cross, gets bogged down in the legalese. Won't watch this one again.

Users who are viewing this thread