What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

The Vast of Night - liked it and I'm growing to really like it

This Amazon Original is getting a lot of buzz. I like the description from Roger Ebert review site: "You already know the plot. You've seen it all before. But the way the story is told is new. With "The Vast of Night," it really is about the how, not just the "what happens." It's a first effort from the director and is a really great effort. If you like long takes and tracking shots, you'll love this movie.
I changed my mind on the ending I think

They were vaporized.

The old lady talked about the aliens being malevolent. Manipulating mankind in destructive ways by keeping it confused and out of communication.

Because Everett and Fay bother to listen, they're a threat...and have to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Postman Always Rings Twice - Disappointing

The first half is good noir, and Lana Turner really is something else. But the second half, when we get to the double cross, gets bogged down in the legalese. Won't watch this one again.
Yeah, I agree it falls flat after the initial affair and plot. The book is much much better and can be read in just a few hours. 

The Outpost. Soldiers in a remote outpost in Afghanistan getting attacked on a daily basis.
I streamed it on primewire so I'm not sure where it is available. The docu-drama is as good
and bad as you can imagine. Good in that some of these soldiers are remarkable. Bad in
that they are put into an impossible situation. It's rated 7.8/10 on IMDB.

Ford v Ferrari is not just a car guys movie. It's driven by story and all the characters.
For all the nay sayers with their "Hollywood is no longer original" mantra-this one is for you.

Greyhound. Toms Hanks as a first time Destroyer Captain leading a convoy of supply
ships across a U-boat infested North Atlantic. This one is rated 9.6/10

Andy Dufresne said:
The Postman Always Rings Twice - Disappointing

The first half is good noir, and Lana Turner really is something else. But the second half, when we get to the double cross, gets bogged down in the legalese. Won't watch this one again.
woulda helped if i bought any heat between the principals, too. same fault in the remake -

prosopis said:
Just watched this for the first time. It was a fun movie. I kind of want to know how true it was but I don't really care enough to look it up. Great acting!!!
All the characters are, real, miles death was real. Leo Beebe's decision to lineup the ford's was real. Miles death was real. Beebe was more of a goof ball than a dbag in real life from what I read

All the characters are, real, miles death was real. Leo Beebe's decision to lineup the ford's was real. Miles death was real. Beebe was more of a good ball than a dbag in real life from what I read
Thanks, I was most curious about the lining up of the three cars and him losing the race due to that. I don't know if that is how he took it in real life but if so he is a bigger man than I.

Thanks, I was most curious about the lining up of the three cars and him losing the race due to that. I don't know if that is how he took it in real life but if so he is a bigger man than I.
Among the many rough edges smoothed over in the process is one of the historic Ken Miles’ most iconic and dramatically relevant quotes. Upon realizing that he had lost his well-deserved win at Le Mans ’66 to another Ford driver, by conceding against his gut to a publicity stunt, the real Miles said something that probably would have made for a delightful line-reading from Bale: “I think I’ve been ####ed.”

But, in keeping with the many acts of dramatic license already reviewed, there was less internal bickering within the Ford team about Beebe’s directive that Miles slow down long enough for the second- and third-place Fords to catch up for a three-way photo finish. In the heat of the moment, Shelby was completely fine with Beebe’s suggestion, although he came to regret it after Miles’ unexpected death a few months later. As he says in Go Like Hell, “I’ll forever be sorry that I agreed with Leo Beebe and Henry Ford to have the three cars come across at the same time. Ken was one and a half laps ahead and he’d have won the race. It broke his heart. Then we lost him in August.”

Miles, too, was also more accommodating in real life than in the movie, despite a clear awareness that he’d been ####ed. As he judiciously tried to explain to Los Angeles Times reporter Bob Thomas, “Please be careful in how you report what I have said. I work for these people. They have been awfully good to me.” Perhaps a man that congenial and talented, denied recognition in his lifetime due to minor technicalities and a fatal accident in his late 40s, deserves a slightly

The Birds

I've watched it three times now in my life and have arrived at a definite conclusion...

It's just not very good.

Daughter just finished reading the first book, so we watched the Artemis Fowl movie on Disney. A mess in terms of telling the story- a kids story- and casting the lead. Only going to recommend this of your kid was a giant fan of the book(s?). Otherwise...nope.

Been plowing through a bunch of movies on HBO with mostly positive, but varying results: 

Jaws, Doctor Sleep, Philadelphia Story, Aliens, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Maltese Falcon, Misery, The Fighter, and Midway.  

I think in that group there are two 10s,  two 9s, one 8, two 6s, a 5, and a 3.   Probably not too hard to figure out what was what.    I've seen a few of those before, but either new or a long time for about 1/2 of them.  

Looks like the next wave of movies includes:  He Got Game, Ford v Ferrari, Frantic, Magnolia, Treasure of Sierra Madre, and a huge pile of foreign movies.  
Looks like you were doing some movie draft prep

Which ones have you watched lately? I have a vague recollection of seeing The Big Red One 15-20 years ago, but more recently I have seen White Dog, Shock Corridor, and I am pretty sure I watch The Naked Kiss, but it might be confusing that one with another movie.   

I actually thought of him yesterday as I added more to my HBO queue and saw Shock Corridor on there.  
I’m watching Shock Corridor now and I am shocked by it. It’s really dark for 1963.

Dragged Over Concrete - Watched this last night on HBO Max. It was pretty good - but way too long. Its 2:30 but should have been like 1:45-1:50. There were scenes that just dragged. But overall - it was a good movie. I enjoyed it.

Man, I love Fight Club, but it just hits me how out of date it gets every time the world gets crazier.

Within a decade of the film coming out, we'd had both a great war and great depression. Now we're in an unprecedented pandemic, and all those people pumping gas and waiting tables are unemployed. Those that are white collar slaves feel lucky to have jobs at all.

Man the late 90s were a hell of a time. 
It was still true of the people he was talking to at the time. And anyway, a big point of the movie was that Tyler Durden was wrong about a lot of things. 

Man, I love Fight Club, but it just hits me how out of date it gets every time the world gets crazier.

Within a decade of the film coming out, we'd had both a great war and great depression. Now we're in an unprecedented pandemic, and all those people pumping gas and waiting tables are unemployed. Those that are white collar slaves feel lucky to have jobs at all.

Man the late 90s were a hell of a time. 
Funny, was just listening to a Ringer podcast and they were talking about Office Space which came out in '99. He said it's amazing how little was going on in the world in the late 90's. No 9/11 yet, economy is great, no wars, etc. He said now it looks a bit silly because the guys seem to have pretty nice jobs that are safe, pay well, etc. 

Tokyo Story

Contemplating this movie I realize that it's not the plot, but the pace is the message. With that, the movie seems more important today than ever.

The story doesn't really hit me I the way it's indented. My life has actually occurred oppositely - my parents, particularly my dad, haven't really been that involved in my adult life. He's pretty self absorbed.

But as I got impatient with the movie, I realized that that was the intention. Why was I impatient? Did I really have somewhere else to be? Was I going to turn something else in that was more exciting - and if I did want it likely to be something brainless? I was exhibiting the same impatience with the movie that the children did with the parents. And in the end isn't that the same thing?

My instant reaction was to wonder what the big deal was. But thinking about it for more than sixty seconds - I got it. How many other things in life do I/we do that to?

Kagemusha, a Kurosawa film is on FXM at 3:15 am and I'm gonna watch it. Have never seen it. (I work nights and am off tonight, so no problem, normal hours for me.)
I started watching it, looked it up, investigated, and realized it was not the entire movie*. So I quit watching and will buy the Criterion Collection dvd  (the only dvd/blu-ray with the original full length film release) when they have their 50% off sale in October. Put it wishlist so not to forget. Want to see the entire movie.

*20 minutes missing 

Tokyo Story

Contemplating this movie I realize that it's not the plot, but the pace is the message. With that, the movie seems more important today than ever.

The story doesn't really hit me I the way it's indented. My life has actually occurred oppositely - my parents, particularly my dad, haven't really been that involved in my adult life. He's pretty self absorbed.

But as I got impatient with the movie, I realized that that was the intention. Why was I impatient? Did I really have somewhere else to be? Was I going to turn something else in that was more exciting - and if I did want it likely to be something brainless? I was exhibiting the same impatience with the movie that the children did with the parents. And in the end isn't that the same thing?

My instant reaction was to wonder what the big deal was. But thinking about it for more than sixty seconds - I got it. How many other things in life do I/we do that to?
I just watched this for the first time a few days ago. It's the 3rd Ozu movie I have seen and it actually maybe my least favorite of the 3. The message of the movie is definitely felt and it home for me as I know there are many times where I have been selfish with my time despite the fact that parents have always been there for me with support. The movie was good but I don't fully get the hype for it as one of the best movies ever made. There also seems to be a lot of references to the changes to post war Japan and their generational gap. I picked up  on some of it, but am not well versed enough in Japanese history and culture to fully understand all of those elements.  

Make Way For Tomorrow does a better job making a film with this premise from my POV.

Been on a John Ford binge with TCM showing so many of his movies this month. Talk about complicated relationship with Natives. The movies are so beautiful to look but are really challenging morally. 

Watched Leave No Trace last night.

Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie as a father and daughter living off of the grid due to his PTSD. 

It started slow but ended up being really good. McKenzie was in Jojo Rabbit and was stellar in this film as the daughter. I was even more impressed when I watched the behind the scenes and heard her New Zealand accent that was unnoticeable in the film. 

I just watched this for the first time a few days ago. It's the 3rd Ozu movie I have seen and it actually maybe my least favorite of the 3. The message of the movie is definitely felt and it home for me as I know there are many times where I have been selfish with my time despite the fact that parents have always been there for me with support. The movie was good but I don't fully get the hype for it as one of the best movies ever made. There also seems to be a lot of references to the changes to post war Japan and their generational gap. I picked up  on some of it, but am not well versed enough in Japanese history and culture to fully understand all of those elements.  

Make Way For Tomorrow does a better job making a film with this premise from my POV.
Agreed

Watched Leave No Trace last night.

Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie as a father and daughter living off of the grid due to his PTSD. 

It started slow but ended up being really good. McKenzie was in Jojo Rabbit and was stellar in this film as the daughter. I was even more impressed when I watched the behind the scenes and heard her New Zealand accent that was unnoticeable in the film. 
I liked that too. We watched it for the FBG movie club in March...which seems like an eternity ago now. 

Watched a doc on Netflix called Satan and Adam. Interesting story about a young white student harmonica dude who hooks up with a legendary blues guitarist/street performer in Harlem in the 90s.

Worth a watch, imo...although not a world beater. 

Yeah, loved it. There could not be a more wheelhouse subject for me than Doug Kenney. Was juuuust a little bit late to the party to know the Lampoon guys but, as a result of backing into a job doing the funny on radio & writing for standups in the 70s, i got to know Ken Shapiro (Groove Tube - CChase's 1st collaborator), Jim Downey (SNL), Steve O'Donnell (SNL & Late Show) and their stories and the comedy modes they took away from those "founders" excited me with just how wide open comedy was for our gen. I mean human beings had been acting ridiculously stoopit for a million years without really making fun of themselves and we had full license to blow everything up. Only Swedish twins could be more liberating for human spirit & ingenuity. And Will Forte and the rest of the cast did a passable job of portraying what are icons to me. Only thing missing was one of their "Aristocrats" parties....
I just came across this movie (after watching a Tina Fey interview some algorithm must have been triggered and it popped up in the recommended tab), and thought it was really good.

I had heard the story of Lorne Michaels plundering the writing talent of "National Lampoon" with Doug Kenney refusing to join because he insisted on a ridiculous salary and a job title that went beyond head writer, like something like King Poobah Lord God Supreme Writer and he wanted a guarantee that his sketches always got on the air, something Lorne obviously resisted.

The movie presented Doug's refusal to join SNL for artistic and moral reasons.

Kenney as Stork in "Animal House" is an all-time great trivia question. 

I just came across this movie (after watching a Tina Fey interview some algorithm must have been triggered and it popped up in the recommended tab), and thought it was really good.

I had heard the story of Lorne Michaels plundering the writing talent of "National Lampoon" with Doug Kenney refusing to join because he insisted on a ridiculous salary and a job title that went beyond head writer, like something like King Poobah Lord God Supreme Writer and he wanted a guarantee that his sketches always got on the air, something Lorne obviously resisted.

The movie presented Doug's refusal to join SNL for artistic and moral reasons.

Kenney as Stork in "Animal House" is an all-time great trivia question. 
especially since he was a "Hollywood" good-looking guy.

every time i think of that era of comedy, i get incredibly nostalgic for the anger in the work. i mean, the righteous indignation was almost FoxNews-y in intensity (and really not much more sincere). there was just this brand of guy who saw his brothers protest war mostly cuz they didnt want to get drafted and race where they had no place and knew deepdown that hippies were in it more for the party than the culture and came out just as pissed off at their classmates as they were at The Man. combine that with decorum's loss of power and there was some really fierce, vitriolic, almost homicidal, approaches to attacking the times and deconstructing every form in sight. and God, was it funny - pharma-grade anger distilled into DARPA-grade comedy. much as i love Ferrell's & Fred Armisen's stuff, i miss that snarling, unstable, but incredibly productive age more each day.

Infinity Chamber - Liked it

Available on Prime...A guy wakes up in a cell and is "kept alive" by a machine embodied by a security camera. His memories of a certain event are being manipulated in order to get him to divulge important information. 

Made on a budget of $125k. Clever and leaves it open for debate at the end - like good SciFi does.

Knocking out some classics or at least older movies in some cases that I never saw 

Blade Runner 1982 - I just didn’t get into it. Feels like one of those movies you had to see in the 80s or 90s, just way too outdated for me to appreciate now. 3/5

An American in Paris - What a weird experience. Loved the long dance scene at the end but it feels like they made the whole movie just to serve that final scene  Dropped any pretense of the plot with the benefactor lady or his musician friend. They just went away! Still enjoyed it  4/5

3:10 to Yuma - the 2007 movie. pretty good. 4/5. You could inject the music from the chase scene to the train station right into my veins. 

Midnight Run - classic 80s chase movie. Perfect 80s cheese. I liked it. 3.5/5

Unforgiven - somehow never saw this. Boy is that a mistake. I’ll be going back to this one.  4.5/5 

All the President’s Men - I liked it because it’s a topic of interest to me and I have read many books on the topic many moons before. Wife was bored to tears and I understand why. 3.5/5

To Kill a Mockingbird - never actually saw the movie unless an English teacher in high school rolled the VCR out one day. Gregory Peck is dreamy. 4/5

A Fistful of Dollars - starting the man with no name trilogy now. 

Knocking out some classics or at least older movies in some cases that I never saw 

Blade Runner 1982 - I just didn’t get into it. Feels like one of those movies you had to see in the 80s or 90s, just way too outdated for me to appreciate now. 3/5 - Agree... I own this and have watched it 3 different times and each time left with  :mellow:  

An American in Paris - What a weird experience. Loved the long dance scene at the end but it feels like they made the whole movie just to serve that final scene  Dropped any pretense of the plot with the benefactor lady or his musician friend. They just went away! Still enjoyed it  4/5

3:10 to Yuma - the 2007 movie. pretty good. 4/5. You could inject the music from the chase scene to the train station right into my veins. Haven't seen this in awhile and can't recall what my overall impression was. I own it, just haven't gotten around to re-watching which tells me something .. just not sure what LOL

Unforgiven - somehow never saw this. Boy is that a mistake. I’ll be going back to this one.  4.5/5 - Agree - great movie

All the President’s Men - I liked it because it’s a topic of interest to me and I have read many books on the topic many moons before. Wife was bored to tears and I understand why. 3.5/5

To Kill a Mockingbird - never actually saw the movie unless an English teacher in high school rolled the VCR out one day. Gregory Peck is dreamy. 4/5 - Agree - Always thought this one was very well done.

A Fistful of Dollars - starting the man with no name trilogy now. Been a long time since I've seen all of the no names, but I don't recall disliking any of them.

Blade Runner 1982 - I just didn’t get into it. Feels like one of those movies you had to see in the 80s or 90s, just way too outdated for me to appreciate now. 3/5

3:10 to Yuma - the 2007 movie. pretty good. 4/5. You could inject the music from the chase scene to the train station right into my veins. 

Unforgiven - somehow never saw this. Boy is that a mistake. I’ll be going back to this one.  4.5/5 

To Kill a Mockingbird - never actually saw the movie unless an English teacher in high school rolled the VCR out one day. Gregory Peck is dreamy. 4/5

A Fistful of Dollars - starting the man with no name trilogy now. 

First time I saw Unforgiven I thought good, not great.  Some of the scenes were too slow as in Clint & Ned riding through grain fields with gentle music in the background, etc.  Well I was completely wrong.  the grain field rides, the campfire talks, etc. are what makes the movie build to the greatest last 45 minutes of a western I've seen.   Clint riding into Big Whiskey in a driving rainstorm with his best friend, Ned displayed in a window.  as if Wil Money(Clint) wasn't mad enough.  I liked it better every time I watched.

happy viewing!

I can get not getting it. It's slow. Really slow in some parts. And it's more noir than science fiction. And Deckard is a really peculiar character - particularly in his relationship with Rachel.

But calling it outdated is an interesting "criticism". 

I've recently watched 3 of the top movies from last year. Parasite, JoJO Rabbit and 1917.  I'd rank them

1. Jojo

2. 1917

3. Parasite.

Wasnt nearly as impressed with Parasite as most.  Didn't grab me, I guess. I watch lots of foreign TV shows with subtitles so don't think that was it.  Just didn't like the characters much.

JoJo Rabbit was great!  Loved this movie.  Superb mix of humour and drama. 

1917 was very good. Not quite as good as JoJo but thoroughly enjoyable.  Roger Deakens cinematography is always top notch. 

shadrap said:
First time I saw Unforgiven I thought good, not great.  Some of the scenes were too slow as in Clint & Ned riding through grain fields with gentle music in the background, etc.  Well I was completely wrong.  the grain field rides, the campfire talks, etc. are what makes the movie build to the greatest last 45 minutes of a western I've seen.   Clint riding into Big Whiskey in a driving rainstorm with his best friend, Ned displayed in a window.  as if Wil Money(Clint) wasn't mad enough.  I liked it better every time I watched.

happy viewing!
Yes I thought they did a good job of showing Ned and Will’s backstory through their little chats discussing their extended history. Clint showed more emotion than usual riding past Ned’s casket. 

Also, an amazing line: 

“you shot an unarmed man”

”he should have armed himself”

shadrap said:

happy viewing!
Great film for so many reasons. Will stop and watch if it comes up while surfing. The music adds so much to set the mood and spirit of the film.

Watched Harriet last night.  I was a bit disappointed with it. I get the difference between a film and documentary, and sometimes need some narrative conveniences to help entertain to condense time and not drag the film down, but I thought the inaccuracies were just too distracting.  The last half hour in particular was so clearly Hollywood contrived and formulaic; I didn’t think Tubman’s story needed to be embellished as much as they did.

We watched The Two Popes the other night. Loved it! Great performances and visuals, especially at the Sistine Chapel. I think they could have trimmed some of the current Pope's backstory but I didn't know much about him so it was still interesting. Recommended! 

Users who are viewing this thread