What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Destry Rides Again (39): I had never heard of this but saw Criterion released it recently so I recorded if off of TCM. What a surprise this was. A funny, charming and clever Western with a superb cast headlined by James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich. Dietrich plays a club owner who helps the local crime boss swindle people out of money and land in crooked poker games. Stewart is Destry, the son of a famous lawman who comes to clean up a crooked town. Unlike his father, Destry doesn't carry a gun- his tool is his cleverness and wit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Destry Rides Again (39): I had never heard of this but saw Criterion released it recently so I recorded if off of TCM. What a surprise this was. A funny, charming and clever Western with a superb cast headlined by James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich. Dietrich plays a club owner who helps the local crime boss swindle people out of money and land in crooked poker games. Stewart is Destry, the son of a famous lawman who comes to clean up a crooked town. Unlike his father, Destry doesn't carry a gun- he's tool is his cleverness and wit. 
My uncle pointed this one out to me as it's one of his favorite westerns.

I enjoyed it.

Heads up that TCM has a great night of Buster Keaton programming planned tonight in honor of 125 years since his birth. It starts with a great documentary on him at 6, followed by Sherlock Jr, The General, Steamboat Bill Jr., and Seven Chances.

Wow

Where's My Roy Cohn?

All I really knew about him was that he was a mob lawyer and was involved with Trump at some point. I just remember his name in NY newspaper headlines. I didn't know he was such a big part of the McCarthy hearings or anything about his personal life. Really interesting documentary.

Wow

Where's My Roy Cohn?

All I really knew about him was that he was a mob lawyer and was involved with Trump at some point. I just remember his name in NY newspaper headlines. I didn't know he was such a big part of the McCarthy hearings or anything about his personal life. Really interesting documentary.
I only really learned about him from Angels in America, where he's essentially the devil.

Might give this a spin...thanks 

El Floppo said:
I only really learned about him from Angels in America, where he's essentially the devil.

Might give this a spin...thanks 
I didn't see Angels in America but after looking it up, I guess you know about his personal life. I had no idea as I watched the documentary so it really came as a surprise as they started getting into it.

TCM also just had  Bunuel double feature. What a fascinating film maker. The one that I really dug was an early 60s film called The Exterminating Angel. Now Bunuel was a friend of Dali so lots of movies are quite surrealistic. This involves a high society European dinner party that attendees mysteriously can't leave. They all want to leave but nobody else is leaving so they don't want to be weird and leave. This extends on for days and days and it's just incredibly well done how the crazy plot works with the relationships between the 15 or so characters trapped in the room. I first thought it as a metaphor for the upper class Europeans who just kind of went on with their lives and supported fascist regimes like Hitler or Franco. They just kind of go a long with it to be polite or so as to not rock the boat and eventually they find themselves trapped in a dangerous situation. By the end, I am not sure it meant anything but it was one of the better movies I've seen this year. 

Archive - liked it

Sure it has lots of elements borrowed from other movies. But it looks and sounds cool and isn't dumb. It's like an extended Twilight Zone episode.

Acts of Violence - got some really bad reviews but I liked it. Shrug.   Thought it was pretty solid not being polished over the top

Kiss Me Deadly. Just watched (Criterion BluRay). Saw it many many years ago and remembered some of what I saw, but not everything.. The ending may not have been known about or widely known about back then (alternate ending. Don't think I would have forgotten that. And the Mickey Spillane interview was great. Awesome movie

With no Canada trips this year, I'm trying to use up my last 3+ weeks of Vacation before the end of the year ( we have a "use it or lose it" policy).. so have been on a Staycation which includes watching movies..

Repeaters - 2.5 out of 5 - Kind of a GroundHog Day meets Hollowman - One of the 3 that are repeating loses his mind and goes all out "I can do anything I want" with repeatable bad consequences..

He's out there - 2 out of 5 - Way too predictable and many moments where you are thinking "No :censored: way does anyone do that".. Which is about normal for some horror movies.

Mandela effect - 4 out of 5 -  Think Matrix meets Parallel  Universe theory.. Many parts where you are lost on has what happened really happened or in his mind... This one stuck with me..

Possibly because I have a daughter and can't fathom dealing with what they have to deal with.

Good people - 3.5 out of 5 - Makes you think "What would I do?" and if you followed them would you continue down the path they go?

In a Valley of Violence - 4 out of 5 -  enjoyable "new" Western. But there is a part early on that I hate when they do it in movies.. Think the first John Wick and why he goes back in..

Patient Zero

Low budget zombie flick with a couple of GOT alumni. Not very good in any sense. Ending left in such a way that they somehow thought they could get ac sequel out of it. Nah!

For you Soviet sci-fi fans - set your DVRs for 2am Mon (Sun nite). the original Solaris is on TCM, i dont believe it's on either NF or Prime, so now's your chance. it may take a couplefew sittings to get thru but totes worth it - fax to da wap, in fact...

For you Soviet sci-fi fans - set your DVRs for 2am Mon (Sun nite). the original Solaris is on TCM, i dont believe it's on either NF or Prime, so now's your chance. it may take a couplefew sittings to get thru but totes worth it - fax to da wap, in fact...
Saw this in a film class. Gorgeous, but yeah- a slog.

I've been wanting to rewatch a few movies I haven't seen since the theaters... chacun cherche son chat (when the cat's away), fallen angels (early wong kar wai) and withnail and I. Can't find any of them for viewing.

I think I still have it DVR'd from the last time it was on TCM a year or 2 ago. I know it's one of those movies that is a bit challenging and just haven't yet committed myself.

I watched The Caine Mutiny last weekend. Really enjoyed seeing it again and I think it holds up quite well. 

Destry Rides Again (39): I had never heard of this but saw Criterion released it recently so I recorded if off of TCM. What a surprise this was. A funny, charming and clever Western with a superb cast headlined by James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich. Dietrich plays a club owner who helps the local crime boss swindle people out of money and land in crooked poker games. Stewart is Destry, the son of a famous lawman who comes to clean up a crooked town. Unlike his father, Destry doesn't carry a gun- his tool is his cleverness and wit. 
Great old western and the character of Lili Von Shtupp that Madeline Kahn plays in Blazing Saddles is obviously based on the Frenchy character played by Marlene Dietrich in Destry.

Lili Von Shtupp: ... Stage-door Johnnies constantly suwwound me. They alvays hound me Vith vone wequest. Who can satisfy their lustful habit? I'm not a wabbit! I need some weeeeeeeeeeee -- eeeeeeeeeeeeest. 

One of most physical and dangerous scenes I have ever seen Jimmy Stewart act in is the scene where Dietrich throws a chair at him and nearly hits him.  It reminds me of the scene in Animal House where Pinto Flounder and Bluto initially walk into Animal House and beer bottles are being thrown at their heads for real as they dodge them as they had members of the crew throwing them and some came real close. 

In Destry one chair was thrown right at Stewart who stood 6'6 and weighed 135 lbs and he contorted like a spider to get out of the way.  Its an amazing scene.

Kiss Me Deadly. Just watched (Criterion BluRay). Saw it many many years ago and remembered some of what I saw, but not everything.. The ending may not have been known about or widely known about back then (alternate ending. Don't think I would have forgotten that. And the Mickey Spillane interview was great. Awesome movie
It's on TCM this upcoming Sat night and Sun morning for their Noir Alley

Best new to me movies of the recent weeks:

Yi Yi- borderline masterpiece, simple story of the ups and downs of a Taiwanese family but it's just so perfectly done

Le Bonheur- must watch for the color and editing, also the kind of movie that will be totally different on a rewatch as it takes a full sitting to actually get what the movie is about

Dead of the Night- interesting old horror concept film where a man goes to a country home looking for work but he quickly realizes that he has been there before and knows everything that is about to happen. He tries to convince the other guests there of the impending doom.

High and Low (1963)

Directed by Akira Kurosawa

95% on Rotten Tomatoes:

Toshiro Mifune stars as a wealthy industrialist whose family becomes the target of a ruthless kidnapper in Akira Kurosawa's exemplary film noir. Based on Ed McBain's detective novel "King's Ransom," "High and Low" is both a riveting thriller and a brilliant commentary on contemporary Japanese society.

Mifune was great and if he didn't win any awards for his performance, he should have. Loved the movie. A great look at Japan, their society and how life was there less than 20 years after WWII ended. Similar to our Noir films and the way police investigate and operate.

Yi Yi- borderline masterpiece, simple story of the ups and downs of a Taiwanese family but it's just so perfectly done
Saw it when it came out...kept waiting for and expecting it to veer into cringey melodrama. Never did. It's a top 5 movie for me...just fantastic.

High and Low (1963)

95% on Rotten Tomatoes:

Toshiro Mifune stars as a wealthy industrialist whose family becomes the target of a ruthless kidnapper in Akira Kurosawa's exemplary film noir. Based on Ed McBain's detective novel "King's Ransom," "High and Low" is both a riveting thriller and a brilliant commentary on contemporary Japanese society.

Mifune was great and if he didn't win any awards for his performance, he should have. Loved the movie. A great look at Japan, their society and how life was there less than 20 years after WWII ended. Similar to our Noir films and the way police investigate and operate.
One of the best movies I’ve seen this year, 5 stars all the way. Amazing how it twists and turns becoming something slightly different each time.

Saw it when it came out...kept waiting for and expecting it to veer into cringey melodrama. Never did. It's a top 5 movie for me...just fantastic.
Yep, there are several spots where I suspected it was building to something obvious and dramatic but it handled every step with such grace. A movie like that is almost impossible to make and be so entertaining and interesting without ever being overly indulgent. Reminded me of The Best Years of Our Lives in that regards.

High and Low (1963)

95% on Rotten Tomatoes:

You guys hit two of my all-time favorite movies in successive posts.   :)

No “borderline” regarding Yi-Yi, though.  Masterpiece.

You guys hit two of my all-time favorite movies in successive posts.   :)

No “borderline” regarding Yi-Yi, though.  Masterpiece.
I’ll have to watch it a second time before I fully make that claim for almost any movie. But yeah, that movie had so many layers and it’s really stuck with me. Especially the little boy.

Le Bonheur- must watch for the color and editing, also the kind of movie that will be totally different on a rewatch as it takes a full sitting to actually get what the movie is about'

Dead of the Night- interesting old horror concept film where a man goes to a country home looking for work but he quickly realizes that he has been there before and knows everything that is about to happen and he tries to convince the other guests there of the impending doom 

DVR ALERT!!!! My favorite movie you havent seen, which i have been poundin & pimpin on since i first started talking about movies here, The Man Who Would Be King, will be on TCM at 5:30a Thanksgiving morning. it's part of a Connery tribute which starts w Thunderball @ 8pm this evening.

DVR ALERT!!!! My favorite movie you havent seen, which i have been poundin & pimpin on since i first started talking about movies here, The Man Who Would Be King, will be on TCM at 5:30a Thanksgiving morning. it's part of a Connery tribute which starts w Thunderball @ 8pm this evening.
I HAVE seen it. And it IS good.

Can't go wrong with Connery and young Michael Caine.

Set this up and then saw there's also a Hitchcock marathon starting at 5 pm PST, if anyone needs to catch up on any of those.  Somehow I've never seen Rope, so I scheduled that one, but there are a lot to choose from.

Hillbilly Elegy was a huge swing and a miss, IMO.   I thought a lot of the point of the book was political, but instead of anything focused on that, it was basically an over the top melodrama and an Oscar grab attempt for Close and Adams.  

I like Rope 10x more than Lifeboat.
I accidentally ended up in a Farley Granger movie-thon Friday night, watching Rope and then re-watching Strangers on a Train.  I didn't realize he starred in both as it had been a long time since I'd seen the latter.  I found Rope much better than expected.  I have a fondness for movies that are filmed on one set, and this had some amazing camera work and a feeling of increasing claustrophobia that I found compelling.  There was one shot where the camera was only on the maid cleaning up the top of the "casket," and you can hear the main characters talking but they remain offscreen for a painfully long time, with the tension getting horribly intense as you wonder if they're going to notice her getting close to finding the body.  Very well done, and the acting was terrific.  I do think Granger was better as the unwilling participant in the murder swap in Strangers on a Train than he was as the lead bad guy in Rope, but that's mostly because Robert Walker was absolutely stunning as the psychopath in the former.

Since I'm on a Hitchcock kick, I'm going to re-watch The Man Who Knew Too Much tonight.  :)   ETA:  the latter one.

I finally saw The Irishman

The good:

All star cast.

Liked Pesci playing an understated, cerebral role for a change. 

Interesting history that I never knew much about

The Bad:

It's way too long and has very few exciting moments

Pacino was really weak in it. I recently watched The Godfather again and compared to that, he was closer to Big Boy Caprice as Jimmy Hoffa.

I accidentally ended up in a Farley Granger movie-thon Friday night, watching Rope and then re-watching Strangers on a Train.  I didn't realize he starred in both as it had been a long time since I'd seen the latter.  I found Rope much better than expected.  I have a fondness for movies that are filmed on one set, and this had some amazing camera work and a feeling of increasing claustrophobia that I found compelling.  There was one shot where the camera was only on the maid cleaning up the top of the "casket," and you can hear the main characters talking but they remain offscreen for a painfully long time, with the tension getting horribly intense as you wonder if they're going to notice her getting close to finding the body.  Very well done, and the acting was terrific.  I do think Granger was better as the unwilling participant in the murder swap in Strangers on a Train than he was as the lead bad guy in Rope, but that's mostly because Robert Walker was absolutely stunning as the psychopath in the former.

Since I'm on a Hitchcock kick, I'm going to re-watch The Man Who Knew Too Much tonight.  :)   ETA:  the latter one.
1. Yeah. Rope is a good movie and the whole one cut thing works pretty well IMO. It's a stunt and I don't think it really adds to the movie the way it does in 1917. 

2. Strangers is one of my favorites of his. Robert Walker is one of the best villains of that era. Also, what was with Hitch and tennis players? Strangers, Dial M for Murder. I am sure that is where Woody Allen got his inspiration for Match Point. 

3. How was TMWKTM? 

4. I've got Topaz DVR'd to watch tonight. It isn't supposed to  be good but I've seen so Hitch films, might as well try to catch as many as possible. 

1. Yeah. Rope is a good movie and the whole one cut thing works pretty well IMO. It's a stunt and I don't think it really adds to the movie the way it does in 1917. 

2. Strangers is one of my favorites of his. Robert Walker is one of the best villains of that era. Also, what was with Hitch and tennis players? Strangers, Dial M for Murder. I am sure that is where Woody Allen got his inspiration for Match Point. 

3. How was TMWKTM? 

4. I've got Topaz DVR'd to watch tonight. It isn't supposed to  be good but I've seen so Hitch films, might as well try to catch as many as possible. 
2.  That is a great thought on Match Point.  Absolutely must be.

3.  I would have sworn I'd seen it before, but I remembered zero of the movie to the point where I'm convinced I was wrong.  Perhaps I mixed it up with Bill Murray's "The Man Who Knew Too Little."  I kid.  In any case, I enjoyed it but less than Strangers on a Train and not even as much as Rope.  It was interesting to me that Jimmy Stewart was basically a doofus, while Doris Day figured everything out.  Good plot but not as suspenseful as the others.

4.  How was Topaz?  I've never seen it.

xyz.  Last night I watched "Throne of Blood," as I also had a bunch of Kurosawa recorded and that was the only one I hadn't seen before.  I'd read it inspired "Star Wars" but will have to read more to understand that connection.  Clearly a Macbeth adaptation, and well done as always.  Not as compelling as some of Kurosawa's best, though.  Maybe because it was less than two hours long!  :lol:  

2.  That is a great thought on Match Point.  Absolutely must be.

3.  I would have sworn I'd seen it before, but I remembered zero of the movie to the point where I'm convinced I was wrong.  Perhaps I mixed it up with Bill Murray's "The Man Who Knew Too Little."  I kid.  In any case, I enjoyed it but less than Strangers on a Train and not even as much as Rope.  It was interesting to me that Jimmy Stewart was basically a doofus, while Doris Day figured everything out.  Good plot but not as suspenseful as the others.

4.  How was Topaz?  I've never seen it.

xyz.  Last night I watched "Throne of Blood," as I also had a bunch of Kurosawa recorded and that was the only one I hadn't seen before.  I'd read it inspired "Star Wars" but will have to read more to understand that connection.  Clearly a Macbeth adaptation, and well done as always.  Not as compelling as some of Kurosawa's best, though.  Maybe because it was less than two hours long!  :lol:  
Isn't it Hidden fortress that inspired Star Wars?

Isn't it Hidden fortress that inspired Star Wars?
Both, from what I'd read.

ETA:  I should mention I use "Star Wars" to mean the entire series.  I just think of them all as "Star Wars."  The two films supposedly inspired different parts of the series.

ETA2:  Here's an explanation from dorks.

Users who are viewing this thread