Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

Deep Web

Saw this premiere at sxsw festival today. Strong documentary that really explained the whole thing to me in an engaging manner. Reminded me a lot of the citizen 4 release a few months ago (highly recommended) and while not as good, it comes close.

3.88/5 stars

John Wick. Formulaic. Clichéd. Awesome.

I agree it was cliche, but those gun battles felt pretty original.

This is one of your "appropriate expectations" films. We all knew what it was (or should have known) before seeing it and it delivered exactly what it promised. Not great cinema but a fun film.

ETA: And boy Theon Greyjoy just has the look of a weasely DB that you just want to punch in the face. He's perfect for these roles but I wonder if he is disappointed as an actor to be typecast that way.

I think he will have a hard time getting out from under the "Reek" role

Good thematically, subject matter-related double feature.

In Cold Blood

Capote (on how he created a new literary genre, the non-fiction novel). I didn't appreciate PSH as much as I should have when he was alive, but I'm remedying that. This was a masterful performance. I even forgot how brilliant his small role in The Big Lebowski was.

This is one of your "appropriate expectations" films. We all knew what it was (or should have known) before seeing it and it delivered exactly what it promised. Not great cinema but a fun film.

ETA: And boy Theon Greyjoy just has the look of a weasely DB that you just want to punch in the face. He's perfect for these roles but I wonder if he is disappointed as an actor to be typecast that way.

Yeah, definitely. He's going to play a lot of villains, I assume.

He's going to play a lot of weasely, weak sons of the real villains. If he's lucky when he's older he will be able to handle the main villain role until then he's just inspired cannon fodder.

maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2.

He's going to play a lot of weasely, weak sons of the real villains. If he's lucky when he's older he will be able to handle the main villain role until then he's just inspired cannon fodder.

maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2. working

maybe, but most aspiring actors would be thrilled to be part of GoT, John Wick and Agent Cody Banks 2. working

You're right of course but I always found this bit from the Ghostbusters IMDB page to be funny and kind of sad (that people could be so stupid).

In the DVD commentary, Ivan Reitman says he received a call from William Atherton complaining that the movie ruined his life. The character of Walter Peck was so hated that people would talk to Atherton as if they were giving the character Peck a piece of their mind. Apparently more than once, physical fights had been started with Atherton in bars.
Edited by Chaka

You're right of course but I always found this bit from the Ghostbusters IMDB page to be funny and kind of sad (that people could be so stupid).

In the DVD commentary, Ivan Reitman says he received a call from William Atherton complaining that the movie ruined his life. The character of Walter Peck was so hated that people would talk to Atherton as if they were giving the character Peck a piece of their mind. Apparently more than once, physical fights had been started with Atherton in bars.

Wonder why he blames Ghostbusters? He was a bigger ##### in Real Genius and Die Hard too for that matter. If anything he should blame himself for consistently choosing major ##### roles.

I met William Atherton once, working on set. True story, I almost called him "D##kless" by mistake.

I heard that this movie was put together by stuntmen, which explains the slick camerawork.

Fury - Started off good but from the heavy handed shelling of the piano girl to the climax it just couldn't stop operating with a hatchet. A finer touch could have made this a really good movie.

I understand, although the tank battles made this worth recommending.

Plural? Wasn't there only one?

Ok, battles with tanks in them. I assume there's more than one of those.

Fury - Started off good but from the heavy handed shelling of the piano girl to the climax it just couldn't stop operating with a hatchet. A finer touch could have made this a really good movie.

sure, there are battles with tanks that are just there but not doing anything. I think there was just one tank to tank battle.

If you cant tell, i didn't like Fury much.

sure, there are battles with tanks that are just there but not doing anything. I think there was just one tank to tank battle.

Fury was not good. The one good tank battle took about 5 minutes. The 25 minute firefight where the tank sits stationary was dumb.

Fury was not good. The one good tank battle took about 5 minutes. The 25 minute firefight where the tank sits stationary was dumb.

but it was so realistic when:

Pitt's body suffers no ill effects of having a couple grenades dropped in the tank.

So dumb, especially when they weren't afraid to show the newbie scraping a face off the inside of the tank at the beginning.

Going to watch Dracula Untold tonight. Im ready to be disappointed :unsure:

Going to watch Dracula Untold tonight. Im ready to be disappointed :unsure:

I saw this and I'm confident your expectations will be met.

• Like 1

Into the Woods:

What a horrible piece of crap.

I assume someone bound you in rope and drugged you in order to force you to watch this.

Into the Woods:

I assume someone bound you in rope and drugged you in order to force you to watch this.

Was bored and popped it in at the store today. It was worse than expected.

Saw Nightcrawler.

Thought it was pretty good. Exciting, liked the night scenery, and good performances.

The ending reminded me a little of Gone Girl but not as absurd.

Incendies

"A mother's last wishes send twins Jeanne and Simon on a journey to the Middle East in search of their tangled roots."

This is about as far from a feel good movie as you can get. How a persons life can endure so much hardship is unthinkable. It's a slow starter, I even had moments where I wondered if I was going to get through it, but it builds as you go and by the end I was emotionally exhausted.

4/5

'71 is good. British soldier separated from his squad in Belfast during the Troubles. He has to navigate his way out of a very complicated place. It's not a new story to tell at its core but pretty well told here. Shot really well. Lots of tension.

Edited by saintfool

Into the Woods:

Went to see it with six relatives of the director - each of whom left the theater shaking their heads.

Into the Woods:

Was bored and popped it in at the store today. It was worse than expected.

That's pretty bad, since I'm expecting it to be garbage.

Saw A Clockwork Orange last night at our local movie house in town. He plays only classic and indie movies there. It's quite a little downtown gem.

ACO is such a classic and even better on the big screen in full HD and Theater surround. The soundtrack goes right through you in that film. 100/10.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

Exodus: Gods and Kings

:lmao:

:goodposting:

####### horrible

Darn. This was my fear.

well, your movie tastes have been off for a little bit now, so you might enjoy it. ;)

Hey now. Did we recently bicker about a movie? I've forgotten.

Just bustin balls. I think there were a couple summer blockbustery movies i was surprised you liked, but that is about it.

You know, Adam Corolla said it well: when a movie tells you what it's going to be, and then it delivers, you should recalibrate your expectations accordingly. So like with Lucy, that's a pretty bad movie. But really, did anyone watch the trailer and expect something different? So it's not like I think The Kingsmen is a great "film," it's that The Kingsman delivered what it advertised in the trailer.

Lucy did not deliver. Even based on the trailer, it did not deliver.

Against my better judgment I rented lucy last night (another free movie from redbox). Expectations were low. It met my expectations up until the last 20 minutes or so. WTF was that? I'll give it a 3/10 but that's generous.

Had wanted gone girl but my wife wants to see that with me and wasn't up for a movie last night.

300: Rise of an Empire - 3/5

This is a hard one to rate. The acting and action are far less enjoyable than the original but the story is more interesting. It's more of a side-story than a prequel or sequel (though it had elements of all 3). I'm a fan of the original and this deepened my appreciation of it but as a stand alone action movie it's a letdown.

300: Rise of an Empire - 3/5

This is a hard one to rate. The acting and action are far less enjoyable than the original but the story is more interesting. It's more of a side-story than a prequel or sequel (though it had elements of all 3). I'm a fan of the original and this deepened my appreciation of it but as a stand alone action movie it's a letdown.

It's not important to see this sequel if you've seen the original. However, I will say that the movie looked great and the action was solid.

A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Seth would have been better suited in a supporting role complaining the whole time. Ribisi and Silverman were hysterical. The death scenes were stupid funny. I laughed hard in several spots.

Didn't hate it.

Seth would have been better suited in a supporting role complaining the whole time. Ribisi and Silverman were hysterical. The death scenes were stupid funny. I laughed hard in several spots.

Didn't hate it.

I watched it last night too. I laughed quite a bit more than I thought I would based on the very poor reviews I read in here, but I did think that it missed on it's full potential.

Didn't hate it.

He structured it wrong. The comedy - besides the standard McFarlane cutaways - is in that he's the only person of self-conscious, 21st C sensibilities in the Old West. It would have been fine for him to have met his match in Theron's character, but the rest of his WestWorld kept breaking from their roles with modernisms too, taking the straight-man rhythms out of most of the jokes. No respect for any perspective but his own - a central, but quite common flaw in comedy these days. Laughed several times, but remained confused and irritated thru most of it.

Didn't hate it.

I watched it last night too. I laughed quite a bit more than I thought I would based on the very poor reviews I read in here, but I did think that it missed on it's full potential.

VERY :goodposting: So much potential, and there were a few times I :lmao: But it had a chance to be great rather then just OK..

Didn't hate it.

He structured it wrong. The comedy - besides the standard McFarlane cutaways - is in that he's the only person of self-conscious, 21st C sensibilities in the Old West. It would have been fine for him to have met his match in Theron's character, but the rest of his WestWorld kept breaking from their roles with modernisms too, taking the straight-man rhythms out of most of the jokes. No respect for any perspective but his own - a central, but quite common flaw in comedy these days. Laughed several times, but remained confused and irritated thru most of it.

I expected it to be more like Idiocracy.

Watch it again last night. I think I laughed more. I'm going to file this movie into the category of stupid story but laugh anyway type. I think what it missed was actually trying to tell a story at all. I think I would have liked it more had it just been one rant about the west after another with ridiculous deaths from all manner of things. The actual love story/hero story/getting courage part of it was the bad part.

I'm still giggling from the mayor scene. From his rant in the bar to the wolves taking the body, just solid stupid funny.

The Time Traveler's Wife - 7/10

Not bad, as far as chick flicks go. And I :heart: Rachel McAdams.

Zero Dark Thirty - 7/10

It's definitely well done and Chastain is really good...but I found it tedious. Just like I did Hurt Locker. Didn't help that it was just too darn long.

I will say this though, if Obama really did give the go ahead for the mission based on Sherlockian "dogs not barking" evidence then hats off to him. That was a pretty ballsy call.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

Didn't hate it.

I expected it to be more like Idiocracy.

I expected to actually laugh.

With the new addition to the family, I have been up a lot of nights and I have been powering through a bunch of 80s movies. I had seen most of them, but I was curious to watch a bunch again to see if I thought they held up and to view some of the PG ones keeping my son in mind since he will be forced to watch some of them soon.

I won't rate each movie individually, but just give a quick list of ones I thought held up vs. not.

Held up:

Breakfast Club: Some scenes of brilliance in here. Gets teens as well as any movie from this era. Just wish it didn't have the crappy dance sequence/glass breaking.

Stand By Me

The Goonies

Splash

Gremlins

Some Kind of Wonderful

E.T.

The 'Burbs (I know, but I still love this movie)

The Lost Boys

Revenge of the Nerds

Big

Parenthood

Didn't hold up to memory/expectations: (most in here are still decent, just not AS good as I had in my mind)

Weird Science - still love Chet, but overall didn't love it as much as I remembered

Neverending Story - great story, but really shows it's age

Porky's - couple funny things, but overall meh

Pretty in Pink - to me, a lesser version of Some Kind of Wonderful, even though it was first

Bull Durham- I will take heat for this one. Couple scenes of greatness, but overall I thought it was dull and I think Susan Saradon is kinda nasty.

Spaceballs

War of the Roses

Roxanne - I have come to realize that I am not a huge Steve Martin fan

I think there have been more, but these were off the top of my head.

In a world... 3.9755/5

Pretty cool movie. Really liked the actors in it. The protagonist is sneaky hot.

Nightcrawler

Watched a couple nights ago. Wasn't bad, thought it would be better based on some reviews in here. Worth a watch I guess. 3/5.

Nightcrawler

Watched a couple nights ago. Wasn't bad, thought it would be better based on some reviews in here. Worth a watch I guess. 3/5.

Felt exactly the same.

Didn't hate it.

I liked it just fine. Could have used more death scenes.

Bull Durham- I will take heat for this one. Couple scenes of greatness, but overall I thought it was dull and I think Susan Saradon is

I re-watched a few minutes of this recently, and the acting was cringe-worthy.

Bull Durham- I will take heat for this one. Couple scenes of greatness, but overall I thought it was dull and I think Susan Saradon is

I re-watched a few minutes of this recently, and the acting was cringe-worthy.

Especially Tim Robbins.

Didn't hate it.

Agreed. Would have loved to see them try to pull off an actual million deaths old west style.

Didn't hate it.

Agreed. Would have loved to see them try to pull off an actual million deaths old west style.

Death from cholera isn't all that enjoyable to watch.

Didn't hate it.

Nah they could have pulled off a solid scene where Seth is naming all the ways that the line of dead people died kinda like Madaline Kahn in History of the world when she was naming the Eunichs in line for her orgy. Seth could have pulled that off.

Didn't hate it.

As opposed to having your head crushed by a giant block of ice?

The Tiger that was used in filming (the 3 vs 1 tank battle scene) I believe is the only one left of it's type. I love these types of war movies that are that exact with their "props". Where do they find all that stuff?!