Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight?

I haven't noticed a change in Devils Backbone since AB-InBev purchased them. Just easier to find. I would guess the same will apply to Wicked Weed as long as the same brewers are around. Or are people saying RIP because they just won't buy AB-InBev?

...Oh, and drinking some Dogfish 90 Minute. An old standby.

New Sarum Blood Orange Blonde

:banned:

17 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I haven't noticed a change in Devils Backbone since AB-InBev purchased them. Just easier to find. I would guess the same will apply to Wicked Weed as long as the same brewers are around. Or are people saying RIP because they just won't buy AB-InBev?

...Oh, and drinking some Dogfish 90 Minute. An old standby.

People don't like giving their money to an international mega-company that uses its market share and giant portfolio to club distributors, retailers, and bars in attempts to strangle out local craft. Eff them.

• Like 5

Pretty much only drink Old Nation these days.

8 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

People don't like giving their money to an international mega-company that uses its market share and giant portfolio to club distributors, retailers, and bars in attempts to strangle out local craft. Eff them.

This.

Looks like a bunch of breweries are pulling themselves out of WW's Funkatorium Invitational including Jester King, Grimm, Jackie O's, Trillium, as well as others. Should be interesting to watch. 

I would say I should be happy to get WW distro but then again there is plenty enough good stuff on the shelves here already that I honestly don't care. Good for them on the money grab, can't fault the owners for that at all. However, looks like I will be buying more Foothills and other locals (still need to try Heist and Wooden Robot) when I travel to the SE for work. 

• Like 3

Bottle shops around here can't drop WW fast enough.  Brawley's is one of the best places in town and are fiercely independent.  They discounted all of the WW in stock and are donating all the sales to Doctor's Without Borders. :thumbup:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

I saying it because WW is dead to me. I can't remember the last time AB got money from me.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Unless its Bourbon County Stout, in which case they still line up around the block for the chance to pay $25 for a 4 pack.

• Like 1

For what its worth, Lagunitas announced today they are going all-in with Heineken, after working under some form of vaugely-defined partnership over the past year or so. I'll still buy it though.  Strange, rambling, vague announcement containing little or no details --> http://lagunitast.tumblr.com/post/160302587026/greetings-beer-lovers-this-blog-has-been-quiet

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Unless its Bourbon County Stout, in which case they still line up around the block for the chance to pay $25 for a 4 pack.

Yeah, many people surely do -- I didn't this year, just bought a single bottle of regular. And you're underselling on price -- it was $12 (regular) up to $70 (for the incredibly easy to get "rare") for single bottles this year (16 oz IIRC).

Just now, CletiusMaximus said:

For what its worth, Lagunitas announced today they are going all-in with Heineken, after working under some form of vaugely-defined partnership over the past year or so. I'll still buy it though.  Strange, rambling, vague announcement containing little or no details --> http://lagunitast.tumblr.com/post/160302587026/greetings-beer-lovers-this-blog-has-been-quiet

Yeah, saw that. Disappointing, but probably inevitable.

Lagunitas has made pretty significant headway into Ontario in the past couple years. I wasn't aware of the Heineken connection but it makes sense now.

Edited by Northern Voice
edit - I said Canada, which I don't know, but they have made big gains in Ontario, at least.

Just now, Coeur de Lion said:

Yeah, many people surely do -- I didn't this year, just bought a single bottle of regular. And you're underselling on price -- it was $12 (regular) up to $70 (for the incredibly easy to get "rare") for single bottles this year (16 oz IIRC).

I don't actually buy that stuff myself anymore, but am happy to drink it when my friends get it. I'll always have a bottles of Sophie and Matilda in my cellar though - still great beers many years after the ABinBev acquisition.

I've found if you scratch very deep with many of the craft breweries you often find something you don't like. Lots of these guys are egomaniacal jackasses, political freaks, and greedy twats. Of course, many are awesome dudes just making good beer, like @Sebowski. I won't question anyone's decision to vote with their dollars, and there are so many great beers out there now its not hard to just decide not to buy a certain brand for one reason or another. For me, I decided long ago, if they make good beer at a good price I'll probably drink it. I'm never going to question a brewery founder's decision to cash out - got no basis to do that as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't blame the craft brewers for selling at all.

I used to buy and drink based solely on the beer too -- but started digging a bit after a few comments from Sebowski, and AB-InBev in particular plays some really dirty pool in the distro space particularly, so it's hard for me to give them $ for me personally, as much as I too love Sofie, Matilda, and the Sour Sisters.

• Like 2

The small brewers all complain about how the deck is stacked against them (which is true in most states, particularly mine), until they get big enough that they benefit from it.

Here's a good article on Wicked Weed. http://goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2017/5/3/anheuser-busch-acquires-wicked-weed

Just based on a few beer related twitters I follow, the negative reaction is off the hook on this one. 

Born Again Yesterday. These are really hit and/or miss to me. Some taste fantastic. Some are very astringent. Might be me but have a love/hate thing going on with this one. 

Edited by ditka311

Now Sun Crusher -- bought on the recommendation from @ditka311. Thanks GB -- this is going to be a regular in my summer rotation. Very good indeed.

• Like 1

Also hot-smoking two more Amish cage-free organic chickens -- whole family is just flat out addicted to this technique, so freaking good.

Grabbed some ramps and morels ($40 / lb, I must be nuts but they're effing good once or twice a year) at the local farmer's market to sauté with dinner as well.

34 minutes ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Now Sun Crusher -- bought on the recommendation from @ditka311. Thanks GB -- this is going to be a regular in my summer rotation. Very good indeed.

I'll have to give that a shot. Born again after a few pints at Noon Whistle. Fajitas going on the grill later and then Guardians of the Galaxy later tonight.

ETA first beers since I got sick on Sunday. Man that was awful, still not 100% but hoping the beer kills the rest of it off!

Edited by Hawks64
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

I'll have to give that a shot. Born again after a few pints at Noon Whistle. Fajitas going on the grill later and then Guardians of the Galaxy later tonight.

ETA first beers since I got sick on Sunday. Man that was awful, still not 100% but hoping the beer kills the rest of it off!

Alcohol does kill germs GB.

I was at the Tilted Barn Brewery in Exeter, RI today, this place has blown up recently. They are only open two days a week for 4 hours at a time and just started canning their beers two months ago. Over 150 people in line today when they opened and more when I left. Lots of folks favorably comparing their IPAs to some of the giants out there. I'm enjoying their Cactus which is one of their rotating DIPA series and it is dank and delicious juice. 

• Like 2

Was going grab some xtra citra since I have nothing below 7% abv in the fridge. Got some sun crusher instead. 

• Like 1

$10 bomber from Costco looks good bout to pop it

hardywood

bourbon barrel cru

abbey quad aged in bourbon barrel 

yes please

12%

Brother came over to watch the game and we did some damage -- feel like absolute a$$ today lol. HF Civil Disobedience (damn), Stone Enjoy After 4-20-17, FFF Permanent Funeral, and Four Fathers BA Wheelhouse (coffee imperial stout) were among the bombers we went through once we reached the bad judgement zone. Looking like a two pots of coffee morning...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Brother came over to watch the game and we did some damage -- feel like absolute a$$ today lol. HF Civil Disobedience (damn), Stone Enjoy After 4-20-17, FFF Permanent Funeral, and Four Fathers BA Wheelhouse (coffee imperial stout) were among the bombers we went through once we reached the bad judgement zone. Looking like a two pots of coffee morning...

So looking like a 2 PM Funday start?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 5:09 AM, Sebowski said:

Cool. Don't go out of your way. Just if it's easy.

Sorry for the delay.  Investigation still ongoing. 

(By which I mean just waiting for a response from my one best contact in this matter)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ditka311 said:

So looking like a 2 PM Funday start?

Waited until 4 d/t a bunch of errands and having to pick my daughter up at a birthday party.

Devil's Trumpet today -- I was too busy and hungover to drive to Hammond and felt like something different. Space Caravan, My Ghetto, and Farmhouse Gypsy -- all very solid, but nothing exceptional, which is par for the course with DT.

And jerk pork tenderloins about to go on the grill.

Just took a couple of pork tenderloin off the grill. Never thought to use Walkerwoods...buy now I will try it. 

Onward, Funday!

On 4/30/2017 at 5:09 AM, Sebowski said:

Cool. Don't go out of your way. Just if it's easy.

Looks possible for at least one can, maybe more.  Is there a particular amount that you would want if more can be procured?

5 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Looks possible for at least one can, maybe more.  Is there a particular amount that you would want if more can be procured?

Nah. Just one would be awesome. I'd take more too. Whatever works for you. We can expand out a trade or I can PayPal you. Your call. 

Deck , sun, beer

• Like 6

The Dark Lord walks amongst  us today....and my liver shakes in fear of the onslaught about to happen. 

Edited by ditka311
  • Like 3

I dug out a 2013 Pipeworks Murderous from the cellar last night to celebrate Chelsea FCs premier league title and close out the barleywine season. Not the best, but still a very good sipper. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ditka311 said:

The Dark Lord walks amongst  us today....and my liver shakes in fear of the onslaught about to happen. 

Good luck and Godspeed GB.

Finally stopped by Mikerphone. 2 minutes wait to get Mikerphone check 1, 2 and I want IPA. Didn't have time for tasting room and that line was 15 deep. I wanna get back there sometime. Great beer! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Deck , sun, beer

up here right now:

Basement Office, Monsooning outside, Girls at Spring Dance Recital rehearsal/Pizza Party .... BEER ?

lotsa BEER :banned:

Today's lineup features Jolly Pumpkin -- Oro de Calabaza, Bam Bier, and Biere de Mars. Also howlers of two new ones from Four Fathers: a new session IPA and a blackberry hefe.

• Like 3

Sitting in a bar in Lititz PA. Drinking Firestone Walker PIVO. I ain't from around here and came for one. I am on beer #6. It's tasty and redrinkable. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dope said:

Sitting in a bar in Lititz PA. Drinking Firestone Walker PIVO. I ain't from around here and came for one. I am on beer #6. It's tasty and redrinkable. 

Love that beer, a really good hoppy Pils

• Like 1

I had a few to choose from. Glad i ,hose that one....it's really fn good. 

Tomorrow might be a different story 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dope said:

Great summer beer.

1 hour ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Today's lineup features Jolly Pumpkin -- Oro de Calabaza, Bam Bier, and Biere de Mars. Also howlers of two new ones from Four Fathers: a new session IPA and a blackberry hefe.

The Triple Berry Neptune is really effing good, if hefes are your thing (I love em in the summer). Typical hefe yeast esters (banana / clove) but tart blackberry just smacking you in the face. Sweet / sour thing going on and really works.