What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (2 Viewers)

Last night opened a midnight bomber that was sitting in the fridge for awhile: Pipeworks Almond Coconut Abduction. 

One of the best non-BA stouts I have had in awhile. Incredible. 

my Binny's finally has the Hubbards Cave Fresh IPA.  That's a great IPA.   Had Pipeworks Mandarina on Friday night.  Pretty good, but pretty damn bitter.  Lupine is my favorite of that series. 

Deschuttes is now widely distributed to Charlotte.  I enjoyed the Fresh Squeezed when I was in Oregon this summer.  What other notable beers do I need to try from them?

Deschuttes is now widely distributed to Charlotte.  I enjoyed the Fresh Squeezed when I was in Oregon this summer.  What other notable beers do I need to try from them?
I've always liked Chasing Freshies as long as it's not lemondrop hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a big fan of pale ale's but I do like Mirror Pond.  I would recommend.

I would also recommend Pacific Wonderland Lager.

The problem with Sam Adams is they make Sam Adams. Their seasonals are phenomenal. Regular Sam is terrible. Their Summer is fantastic as is their Winter. Love their October too. 

I have to say this. I broke down and bought my first pumpkin beers of the season. Yeah, I'm the guy that digs everything pumpkin and thus the reason for pumpkin being added to everything now :bag:
I read this reply and had a somewhat conflicted reaction.  The first time I tried SA Boston Lager I didn't like it at all.  Every couple years I would give it a try again because it is widely available.  I still never liked it.  Finally I decided I was giving up on trying Boston Lager ever again.  And I was confused by anyone that claimed to like it.  This was probably 10 or so years ago.

Recently, I started liking Vienna Lagers.  I searched the internets for Vienna Lagers and Beer Advocate had SA Boston Lager listed as a Vienna Lager with a pretty good rating.  I was shocked.  Fast forward to a company function about a month ago where we were provided 2 free drink tickets.  They only had SA Boston Lager and I think Corona.  I tried the Sam Adams and I actually liked it.  I was shocked again.

I am also a fan of Pumpkin beer, but I like the Oktoberfest / Marzen Lagers better.  I tried a lot of Oktoberfests last year and the best I had was SA and Great Lakes.  I recently had Goose Island's Oktoberfest beer and liked it.  I also like Victory's version of Oktober.  I also bought Blue Point's Oktoberfest but didn't get a chance to try it before my wife got the last one :bag: .  She gave it good reviews.

I read this reply and had a somewhat conflicted reaction.  The first time I tried SA Boston Lager I didn't like it at all.  Every couple years I would give it a try again because it is widely available.  I still never liked it.  Finally I decided I was giving up on trying Boston Lager ever again.  And I was confused by anyone that claimed to like it.  This was probably 10 or so years ago.

Recently, I started liking Vienna Lagers.  I searched the internets for Vienna Lagers and Beer Advocate had SA Boston Lager listed as a Vienna Lager with a pretty good rating.  I was shocked.  Fast forward to a company function about a month ago where we were provided 2 free drink tickets.  They only had SA Boston Lager and I think Corona.  I tried the Sam Adams and I actually liked it.  I was shocked again.

I am also a fan of Pumpkin beer, but I like the Oktoberfest / Marzen Lagers better.  I tried a lot of Oktoberfests last year and the best I had was SA and Great Lakes.  I recently had Goose Island's Oktoberfest beer and liked it.  I also like Victory's version of Oktober.  I also bought Blue Point's Oktoberfest but didn't get a chance to try it before my wife got the last one :bag: .  She gave it good reviews.
I guess I need to give them a try again. I like all their seasonal stuff, I might as well. 

Even the classic German stuff? I agree for the most part, but I do like a good Pils from time to time after mowing the lawn or a doppelbock on a chilly Fall evening around the fire pit.
No pils. I do like some doppels but that's about it. 

And whats a chilly fall evening? Ive been in FL so long Ive pretty much forgot whar that feels like...and I'm more than ok with that lol

lol

Cold sucks, but I do love a nice crisp 50ish Fall evening with a fire roaring out back.
If I ever have to wear more than shorts and a t shirt, I'm pissed. I hated fall almost as much as winter when I lived in Michigan.

Tonight's beer menu is all IPA: Green Bench Sunshine City,  Calusa Focus, and Tampa Beer Works Joosy Froot.

If I ever have to wear more than shorts and a t shirt, I'm pissed. I hated fall almost as much as winter when I lived in Michigan.
LOL -- I wear shorts and flip flops until there's actually snow on the ground, although I will bust out a hoodie when it gets into the 30s. I vastly prefer Chicago Fall over FL Summer, personally. Hell, there are usually chunks of Summer that suck up here, when it hits 90+ with high humidity. You won't get any argument from me that Winter blows, however.

Coeur de Lion said:
LOL -- I wear shorts and flip flops until there's actually snow on the ground, although I will bust out a hoodie when it gets into the 30s. I vastly prefer Chicago Fall over FL Summer, personally. Hell, there are usually chunks of Summer that suck up here, when it hits 90+ with high humidity. You won't get any argument from me that Winter blows, however.
Right there with you. Give me fall all day. I also like winter up to a point but am done with it after New Year's Day. It just makes the fall/winter beer budget quite costly due to barrel aged cravings. 

Wingnut said:
I only drink ales, can't stand lagers.

You haven't had the right ones. Wasn't that long that you hated all dark beer, right? Just need to find the right beer while you're in the right mood. Lagers are kind of the "it" "style" over here right now. I've seen a lot of trends start here and spread over the last 10+years. Lagers. Write it down. 

I also hate lumping all lagers together though. That's why I put it in quotes up there. Baltic Porters are lagers that most people who hate lagers like. An IPA lover would totally be down with a killer IPL. Not a ####ty one, mind you. Marzens, Doppels, and OMG, a great Pilsner. A great pilsner is probably my desert island beer over anything hoppy. Ok, not OG Nelson, but anything else. 

Wingnut said:
No pils. I do like some doppels but that's about it. 

And whats a chilly fall evening? Ive been in FL so long Ive pretty much forgot whar that feels like...and I'm more than ok with that lol
Hot and humid year round? Sounds like lager time!

You haven't had the right ones. Wasn't that long that you hated all dark beer, right? Just need to find the right beer while you're in the right mood. Lagers are kind of the "it" "style" over here right now. I've seen a lot of trends start here and spread over the last 10+years. Lagers. Write it down. 

I also hate lumping all lagers together though. That's why I put it in quotes up there. Baltic Porters are lagers that most people who hate lagers like. An IPA lover would totally be down with a killer IPL. Not a ####ty one, mind you. Marzens, Doppels, and OMG, a great Pilsner. A great pilsner is probably my desert island beer over anything hoppy. Ok, not OG Nelson, but anything else. 
I would be ecstatic if the bolded comes true.

One of the best lagers I've tried was in Bradenton, FL at Motorworks Brewing... V-Twin Vienna Lager. 

Ever try bourbon barrel aged stout? Do you like chocolate, coffee, etc? 
No, I have not, butt I do like chocolate and coffee though.

Tons of tremendous options in the craft beer world that aren't hoppy GB. Never any reason to resort to Miller Lite IMO.
I agree. It was left at my house by a guest after a get together. I have not  bought a beer since a trip to Nashville this past winter.

Both of you intrigue me. Any specific recommendations for a bourbon guy?

Where are you?

In general, dark beers (porters, stouts) have minimal hop character and focus on roasty malt goodness. If you are a bourbon fan, look for stout aged in bourbon barrels. There are a ton of good ones out there depending on where you are located.
Louisville, KY...bourbon country.

And, I am teh Jon Snow of beer....

....I know nothing. :(

Louisville, KY...bourbon country.

And, I am teh Jon Snow of beer....

....I know nothing. :(
I'm not hugely familiar with the Louisville beer scene, but Against the Grain makes some good beer.

http://www.atgbrewery.com/index.html

Here is a general link to KY breweries; your best bet for exploring is to start local and just tell the guy at the brewpub / bar / beer store that you're a newbie and don't like hops and love bourbon and just figure out what styles hit your palate the right way.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?c_id=US&s_id=KY&brewery=Y

I'm not hugely familiar with the Louisville beer scene, but Against the Grain makes some good beer.

http://www.atgbrewery.com/index.html

Here is a general link to KY breweries; your best bet for exploring is to start local and just tell the guy at the brewpub / bar / beer store that you're a newbie and don't like hops and love bourbon and just figure out what styles hit your palate the right way.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/place/list/?c_id=US&s_id=KY&brewery=Y
Awesome!

Thnx, CdL.

Awesome!

Thnx, CdL.
You are very welcome -- I pretty much guarantee you'll find something that you'll like, as there's really unending variety out there. Plus, you get to meet some great folks and support local businesses -- and fresh local beer is worlds better than mass produced crap that's been sitting on a store shelf for six months or more.

Don't thank me too fast, lol. You wallet and waistline will hate me if you end up getting bitten by the craft beer bug.

Pizza boy murren river is a very good ipa.
Pizza Boy... that is from my neck of the woods.  Al's of Hampden in Enola, PA is where they brew Pizza Boy beer.  If you actually go to Al's of Hampden they usually have a VERY long list of Pizza Boy beers on tap.

All together they have 100 beers on tap, and a good portion of them are normally Pizza Boy... I would estimate normally around 20.  Al's has the industrial look with high ceilings, cement floor, and inexpensive pizza shop booths and hi-top tables.  The menu is very basic... pizza, subs, some Italian dishes, wings.  The wings are very good.  Al's was one of the first restaurants of it's kind in the area... meaning a place with a huge beer selection, beer brewed in house, and the food service system where there is not a waiter or waitress for each table.  You open a tab, order everything at a register, then wait for beer orders, or put a number at your table for food orders.  Since it opened, places like it have opened all over the area.  It's a cool place if you are ever in the area.

He never has any tasty Vienna Lagers like Neshaminy Creek Churchville Lager that is out your way... but if you like IPA's they normally have many many varieties on tap there.  I'm glad to hear it getting good reviews!

Pizza Boy... that is from my neck of the woods.  Al's of Hampden in Enola, PA is where they brew Pizza Boy beer.  If you actually go to Al's of Hampden they usually have a VERY long list of Pizza Boy beers on tap.

All together they have 100 beers on tap, and a good portion of them are normally Pizza Boy... I would estimate normally around 20.  Al's has the industrial look with high ceilings, cement floor, and inexpensive pizza shop booths and hi-top tables.  The menu is very basic... pizza, subs, some Italian dishes, wings.  The wings are very good.  Al's was one of the first restaurants of it's kind in the area... meaning a place with a huge beer selection, beer brewed in house, and the food service system where there is not a waiter or waitress for each table.  You open a tab, order everything at a register, then wait for beer orders, or put a number at your table for food orders.  Since it opened, places like it have opened all over the area.  It's a cool place if you are ever in the area.

He never has any tasty Vienna Lagers like Neshaminy Creek Churchville Lager that is out your way... but if you like IPA's they normally have many many varieties on tap there.  I'm glad to hear it getting good reviews!
Yeah, I've always been interested in getting up there and try to coordinate it with other travels, but just haven't gotten it done.  Seemed like a really nice blend of both citrus and bitterness. (from what i recall, as i had a few others after that... Stone Ripper, 2SP Simcoe Daddy, and DFH Romantic Chemstry, all of which paled in comparison, and I liked RC in the past) 

Stopped into the new 7venth Sun in Tampa...man I love this place. Had a Passion Play (Passion fruit sour) and a Do You Even Sudachi Bro (Berliner with Sudachi fruit). Both world class. Picked up a crowler of Headbanger IPA to go...cant wait til they start canning next month  

I'm drinking a good beer on my own bed but it's not getting any easier to do anything with my own idea and then go back to normal 

Users who are viewing this thread