What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (4 Viewers)

I'm stuck in northern new jersey tonight (near Crystal Springs Resort). What beers should i look for?
Well, this is really helpful for you now, but should you ever be back, Kane and Carton are both toward northern NJ and I would say they are NJ's best breweries.

Kane has a lot of great hoppy beers, and can their Head High IPA.

Antares Barleywine. It's over 10 abv so it packs a punch. Thank God there is a place near where I live that have them on the shelves. Otherwise I'm looking at crap Argentinian commercial brews that are on par with Miller. In fact, if a restaurant has an imported beer here from the U.S. it's usually Miller. Why bother?

Born Yesterday: I friggin LOVE this stuff. Great hop profile, and super hoppy with the Mosaic giving that oh-so-delicious dankness right up front. Tastes like an IPA to me, and thats not a bad thing, I wish most beers tasted like IPAs.

A little steep at $14/six pack here, but Ill buy it as long as its available, as its better than any bottled or canned local beers. Im gonna go drink a couple more now.
Put this in the fridge today too.

I've got a lineup of blood red sour beers tonight to celebrate Halloween:

Wicked Weed Medora

Jester King Montmorency v. Balaton

Casey Montmorency Cherry Fruit Stand

Going wet hopped to start off. Going to be a combination of born yesterday, founders harvest, and Broodoo.

I really should but Celebration in there since Christmas season started a month ago.

Anybody have Seirra Nevada's "Hop Hunter" IPA? I'll usually grab some Lagunitas (Love the Lil Sumptin Sumptin) over SN but I cannot get enough of this Hop Hunter stuff.
Not a fan, pretty weak taste IMO. :shrug: course I'm not a big Lagunitas guy either.

Stone Enjoy By black DIPA.

Very much like FW wookie jack but smoother.

Knee Deep simtra Triple. Fantastic. Strongly recommend hop heads to check out Knee Deep

Founders Centennial

Allagash Tripel

Great Lakes Nosferatu

Telegraph Rhinoceros

That Rhinoceros was like a year and a half old. Drinking pretty well right now.

Born Yesterday. This is a top 3 or so APA for me, it ranks right up there with PseudoSue and Trillium's Fort Point.

Last edited by a moderator:
5Rings said:

Knee Deep simtra Triple. Fantastic. Strongly recommend hop heads to check out Knee Deep
Thats the only TIPA Ive had that I liked. Insane hoppiness for a 11+% IPA.

Steve Tasker said:
Buckfast 1 said:
Jester King Montmorency v. Balaton
One of the best beers I've ever had.
The JK Montmorency v. Balaton was ridiculously good. So was the Wicked Weed Medora and the Casey Family Preserves Montmorency Cherry. I had a really hard time picking my favorite of the night because they were all so good, but if I was forced to choose I think I would probably take the JK Montmorency v. Balaton.

Pipeworks Sure Bet courtesy of Hawks. Good beer, but I wish PW would dial back the ABV a bit on their DIPAs...most are a tad boozy for my taste...I think 8.5% would be about perfect. Its pretty tasty though.

Do they make any IPAs worth seeking out? DIPAs seem to be their flagship style.

Pipeworks Sure Bet courtesy of Hawks. Good beer, but I wish PW would dial back the ABV a bit on their DIPAs...most are a tad boozy for my taste...I think 8.5% would be about perfect. Its pretty tasty though.

Nope, well one of their cans might be but I doubt it.

Wicked Weed Xibalba - Generally not a pumpkin beer fan but had to give this one a try. This is an outstanding imperial pumpkin ale and the chiles (ancho, Serrano, habanero) do a great job balancing the pumpkin. :thumbup:

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]

you should try Lizard King in cans - it's a pale ale

Thats the only TIPA Ive had that I liked. Insane hoppiness for a 11+% IPA.
Agree. Can't think of any other TIPAs I've had that I like. I don't think Knee Deep makes a bad beer. Fantastic brewery

Beers in the fridge that will be consumed by the end of this weekend

Grapefruit Sculpin

Guinness Nitro IPA (curious to try this)

Firestone Double Jack

Lagunitas Born Yesterday PA (excited to try this as my buddy says it's amazing)

Lagunitas Daytime

you should try Lizard King in cans - it's a pale ale
He has :)
:yes: I like that one.I also like this Brickstone Hop Skip "Double Pale Ale"...which is basically an IPA, no? Either way, its a good beer!

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' just sounded good on this 75 degree (!!!) November day in Chicagoland.
Another record setting day here in FL...Tampa hit 92 degrees today. Its the hottest temp recorded here in November. Ever.So I'm having an Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose.

:banned:

I had some really good beers last night:

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break imperial stout

Avery Rufus Corvus sour ale aged in cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, and zinfandel barrels

Former Future Twin Ruby barrel-fermented sour red ale

Former Future Whiskey & the Vine quad aged in Leopold's cherry whiskey barrels

I really need to work on getting some Wicked Weed Freak and Pernicious soon.

Finishing a Revolution Unsessionable at the moment.

hey buck,how was this? was going to get it but it was $16 for a 22ox bottle and didn't want to spend that.

how's the taste compared to a yeti from great divide?
I'm a big fan of Imperial Biscotti Break, and it always seems to get great reviews on BeerAdvocate (96 BA rating). I think the flavor is dominated by chocolate and coffee with a slight biscuity character, and it drinks remarkably smooth for its 11.5% ABV. Last night, I drank it while eating homemade tiramisu, which was an incredible pairing. I love Yeti, but I definitely prefer IBB. I definitely recommend giving it a try despite the high cost. The bourbon barrel-aged IBB is a phenomenal beer.

hey buck,how was this? was going to get it but it was $16 for a 22ox bottle and didn't want to spend that.

how's the taste compared to a yeti from great divide?
I'm a big fan of Imperial Biscotti Break, and it always seems to get great reviews on BeerAdvocate (96 BA rating). I think the flavor is dominated by chocolate and coffee with a slight biscuity character, and it drinks remarkably smooth for its 11.5% ABV. Last night, I drank it while eating homemade tiramisu, which was an incredible pairing. I love Yeti, but I definitely prefer IBB. I definitely recommend giving it a try despite the high cost.The bourbon barrel-aged IBB is a phenomenal beer.
thanks a bunch buck. will breakdown and get 1 this weekend. sounds great.

My mother getting screened for colon cancer as we speak. So I might be drinking lots of beer tonight. I don't care what kind of beer it is. So long as it's cold. And not Bud, Miller, or Coors.

Alpine Bad Boy growler
I've heard great stuff about Alpine's Bad Boy. I've been hearing rumors that Pure Hoppiness is going to hit shelves in Denver soon. I drank a Hoppy Birthday last night, which had a really impressive fresh hop character. It's been nice to get Alpine beers on the regular out here in Denver since their acquisition by Green Flash.

Alpine Bad Boy growler
I've heard great stuff about Alpine's Bad Boy. I've been hearing rumors that Pure Hoppiness is going to hit shelves in Denver soon. I drank a Hoppy Birthday last night, which had a really impressive fresh hop character. It's been nice to get Alpine beers on the regular out here in Denver since their acquisition by Green Flash.
Pure Hop 6-packs are popping up around $20

Just cracked a bottle of Toolbox's Apropos, a Berliner brewed with apricots....it's delicious and very apropos for this hot Florida weather.

Going to Charlotte next weekend as part of the Great Escape From Illinois relocation tour. I have limited time but what local goodies should i be looking for? NoDa and Wicked Weed and...

abyss on stout day!!!

lbs47.jpg

Cahoots Brewing's Rabanas, a Belgian style ale aged in wine barrels, brewed w/orange peel, pineapple, and rhubarb...oakey, winey, dark fruits (raisin/figs, which is surprising considering the fruits used)...interesting and unique, and pretry f'n good. Not as boozy as I expected, very easy to drink (although it's a sipper). It almost has a sour/Flanders red ale quality to it (in fact, the nose brings Wicked Weed to mind).

Thanks for this one, Hawks...I've never had a beer quite like this, and I'm really enjoying it. Good call!

Going to Charlotte next weekend as part of the Great Escape From Illinois relocation tour. I have limited time but what local goodies should i be looking for? NoDa and Wicked Weed and...
Won't find much in the way of special Wicked Weed. Wing recommended a great bottle shop that I can't remember the name to now but they had some really nice beer on tap for crowlers. I would look for Birdsong Jalapeno Pale...it's excellent.

Cahoots Brewing's Rabanas, a Belgian style ale aged in wine barrels, brewed w/orange peel, pineapple, and rhubarb...oakey, winey, dark fruits (raisin/figs, which is surprising considering the fruits used)...interesting and unique, and pretry f'n good. Not as boozy as I expected, very easy to drink (although it's a sipper). It almost has a sour/Flanders red ale quality to it (in fact, the nose brings Wicked Weed to mind).

Thanks for this one, Hawks...I've never had a beer quite like this, and I'm really enjoying it. Good call!
Yeah it almost has a sour feel and it's awesome. I really love that one and he said he likely will only brew it once every few years due to the length of time it takes to brew and the amount of fruit in it.

Won't find much in the way of special Wicked Weed. Wing recommended a great bottle shop that I can't remember the name to now but they had some really nice beer on tap for crowlers. I would look for Birdsong Jalapeno Pale...it's excellent.
Salud is a great bottle shop and close to Noda and Birdsong breweries. Depending on where you are staying Brawley's beverage on Park Rd is also solid.

You can find Triple C Babymaker in bottles and that is a tasty DIPA and their 3C IPA was a bronze medal winner at the GABF. Wooden Robot, Unknown and Sycamore are newer but also make some tasty brews.

One thing to note is most of the breweries close at 9 but you can find their brews on tap at most bars around town.

Salud is a great bottle shop and close to Noda and Birdsong breweries. Depending on where you are staying Brawley's beverage on Park Rd is also solid.

You can find Triple C Babymaker in bottles and that is a tasty DIPA and their 3C IPA was a bronze medal winner at the GABF. Wooden Robot, Unknown and Sycamore are newer but also make some tasty brews.

One thing to note is most of the breweries close at 9 but you can find their brews on tap at most bars around town.
That's the place! Kind of in the middle of nowhere right? I've had a couple of different Unknowns and they were fantastic, both were on tap at Salud and I got crowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread