Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

22,423 posts in this topic

Another breakthrough!!!

5.46 Mile Run. 147 HR. 10:57 Pace. (in the 10's for an easy run. whohoooooo)

Baby steps, I know. Still excited.

Atta boy. This is when you get hooked....

it also makes it really hard to come back after a long absence... my body and mind remember what it is to go out and bang out fast miles, or just decide to do an easy 45min each way out and back.

but now, new goal-posts and enticements are required as the old numbers are probably years of lots of training away... and I haven't figured what they are enough to get me out the door.

Put away the watch and HRM. Run by feel for a bit. Find a few fun routes and enjoy.

Yup, it's not where you've been it's where you are. Accepting that back in December coming off an injury has gotten me through the first 12 weeks of marathon training feeling healthy and back to where I was, with 7 weeks to build on that.

I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.

See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.

2 people like this

Another breakthrough!!!

it also makes it really hard to come back after a long absence... my body and mind remember what it is to go out and bang out fast miles, or just decide to do an easy 45min each way out and back.

but now, new goal-posts and enticements are required as the old numbers are probably years of lots of training away... and I haven't figured what they are enough to get me out the door.

Put away the watch and HRM. Run by feel for a bit. Find a few fun routes and enjoy.

that's the other problem for me- I live in NYC... there aren't many routes, and aren't any routes I haven't run thousands of times.

:violin:

I know none of that matters and I need to get back out there.

Another breakthrough!!!

that's the other problem for me- I live in NYC... there aren't many routes, and aren't any routes I haven't run thousands of times.

:violin:

I know none of that matters and I need to get back out there.

Run down a subway tunnel. Bet you hit record speed marks then.

I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.

See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.

:lol:

Kudos for the bolded, btw. :hifive:

1 person likes this

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinnier now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).

Edited by worrierking

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).

Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).

Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.

Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:

Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:

Looking back on high school, I can't imagine wanting to be more skinny. XC would have made me invisible from the side.

:hey:

XC for 2 years, swam 4, track 1, tennis 1. Junior and senior years I swam year round but still wasn't very good. Was lucky to get below 60 seconds in 100y free a couple times, never won anything more than an event in a minor meet or two.

College - wasn't fast enough to even try out for the swim team but water polo was a metric ####-ton of fun.

Varsity team as a freshman? Wow, for my school that was unheard of. We had one freshman that made the sophomore team.

Varsity team as a freshman? Wow, for my school that was unheard of. We had one freshman that made the sophomore team.

I was 4 year varsity soccer (and all-state) in HS and 4 year varsity at top 20 Div 1 college- so running was never an issue for me, but I never had reason to try to go super fast for mileage (outside of needing to do the Cooper run- 2miles under 12:00).

When I started doing the tris, something about a shorter stride/higher cadence got me running a lot faster over distance. probably didn't hurt that I was also putting in lot more miles of pure running (versus soccery type sprint, run, walk, zig-zag, etc).

It's fun to reminisce.

We were a div 1 school in Delaware, which doesn't mean much; the competition wasn't all that for soccer. I made up for my mediocre technical skills with speed. I won plenty races in regular H2H meets, but I wasn't very good at the state level. My Uncle Rico claim to fame is being 6th in the state for the 200m @ 22.9. I scored the team 1pt with that effort :lol: :flex:

We had an amazing mid distance runner on our team that dominated the 800. He routinely ran low 1:50s - nobody could hold a candle to him. Anyone that could break 2:00 was in the top flight. Low 1:50s is sick.

It makes me feel old to think this was all before they kept results online. I'd love to page through the archives and see old meet results. :kicksrock:

The only running I did was for other sports (a ran to shed weight for wrestling) and during my time in the Army. I started running to improve my health and fitness at age 43.

BTW, I hit 100 miles for the year with my 4 mile run today. Not a lot compared to a lot of you, but I am pretty excited about my progress (did about 250 miles last year).

6 people like this

Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8

NICE!! A point-to-point 100, love it.

I obviously can't compare to IM training time, but I would think it would be comparable or maybe even less. But it all depends. I'm relatively low volume at 45-55 miles per week training for my 100 miler, while others are busting out 70-100 per week. Pinhoti isn't mountainous, but with 16K' of vert it's not flat, either. How technical is the course? I don't know a lot about this one.

Random thoughts:

• It's all about specificity, and as you're going to be spending some time power hiking (especially mile 35-40 and mile 73) be sure you mix that in to your training. I just include it in my hilly long runs, but I also go out and do some specific hiking as well, especially on tired legs. If this course is technical, try to get out and train on that kind of terrain.
  • 16,500' of elevation loss = train your quads on downhills. Long downhills, downhill repeats, pushing the downs hard on rolling terrain. I did this a lot and still had quad/IT issues in my race, so I need to do it even more. Of course strength training like <tri-man>lunges<\tri-man> would help as well.
  • Practice running at night, with the light system you're going to use. I like a combo of a headlamp and a handheld as it evens out the shadows and improves depth perception.

You've done IMs, so you're used to being uncomfortable I'd assume. That'll come in very handy.

Obviously I've only done one of these so far, so I still have a ton to learn as well.

Looking forward to following your training!

Some comments here:

1. Awesome - I hope you get to do it!

2. I know a guy who has done Pinhoti a couple of times. I can ask him whatever you'd like or put you in touch. He's a super cool guy, so he'd be happy to help.

3. I offered to BnB to pace him on a section. That offer stands for you. I enjoy pain (in smaller doses).

Ok, gents. #### has gotten real.

My calendar is now overflowing. I just signed up for a 7 day cycling tour in the Highlands of Scotland. This was a wonderful confluence of events as I had a conference the week before, so very convenient to stay over. And it was the one that lit my eyes up, as a huge bonus. The ride sports:

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

1 Cat 1, 4 Cat 2, and like 8 Cat 3 climbs

The final climb is the Bealach-na-Ba. Climb, Top.

This is on top of a number of centuries including Cheaha Ultra (13k climbing) and Blood, Sweat , and Gears. My legs hurt already.

And I need to drop weight, fatty.

4 people like this

My calendar is now overflowing. I just signed up for a 7 day cycling tour in the Highlands of Scotland. This was a wonderful confluence of events as I had a conference the week before, so very convenient to stay over. And it was the one that lit my eyes up, as a huge bonus. The ride sports:

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

This is on top of a number of centuries including Cheaha Ultra (13k climbing) and Blood, Sweat , and Gears. My legs hurt already.

Man, that's gonna be cool. Keep us posted with pics and such.

340 miles in a week

31,000 feet of climbing

You have a GoPro, right?

My 2015 running has flat out sucked. Frankly, I've been pretty demotivated from running between work being insane, the weather, kids indoor soccer, and working really hard on my archery game.

It's a balmy 37 degrees today, so I decided to do an 8/4 LT run for the hell of it. I just needed to know where my fitness is at. Granted this is just barely under MP, but I was thrilled to be able to do this and not pass out at mile 6. 6:58/176.

Man it felt great to feel some pain.

3 people like this

Anyone still thinking about a RoadID? I believe you can use this code they sent me for $5 off on $10 or more:

Use Coupon Code: UB8TXP4MJU (Expires 02/28/2015)

Ned, I picture this as your uncle, of course:

http://courtneybeckblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/SS_NapoleonDynamite.jpg

El Floppo, since we're reminiscing, you should use Throwback Thursday and give (re-post?) a Lake Placid Ironman race report from back in the day.

Sand - geez, dude. You're just a little bit insane. I can't wait for that race report!!

1 person likes this

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went well with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Edited by Hang 10
10 people like this

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Great news. Thanks for the update. Pics of the hot nurse would be appreciated.

TIA

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Hell, yeah! What's the recovery effort/time look like?

Hell, yeah! What's the recovery effort/time look like?

It's not bad from what I've read but I haven't talked to my doctor yet. I've read one week off of running mainly just from the groin entry point of the catheters. After that I've heard mixed things from a month with nothing intense to being ready to roll.

Great news. Thanks for the update. Pics of the hot nurse would be appreciated.

TIA

You are better off googling naughty nurses, GB.

You have a GoPro, right?

Garmin VIRB, but essentially yes. The VIRB will mesh with my computer for overlays and all kinds of other stuff.

I will be taking my good camera, but fully expect most of my pictures will be with this.

Sand - geez, dude. You're just a little bit insane. I can't wait for that race report!!

Oh, I'm not even in the top 5 in this thread on the insanity scale...

But it should be an epic ride.

1 person likes this

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went well with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Excellent, great to have that over with, hopefully it takes.

We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?

We're you completely under or local anesthesia? I've heard of it done either way, local would freak me out. How long it take?

I was under the impression that I was going to much more sedated than I was. I was comfortable but I was talking to the doctor and the nurses most the time. seemed like the set up took longer than the actual procedure. All together I think it took 2-1/2 hours. It wasn't bad at all. Now I'm just recovering lying still for 4 hours to let my legs clot and then I can go home.

1 person likes this

I was under the impression that I was going to much more sedated than I was. I was comfortable but I was talking to the doctor and the nurses most the time. seemed like the set up took longer than the actual procedure. All together I think it took 2-1/2 hours. It wasn't bad at all. Now I'm just recovering lying still for 4 hours to let my legs clot and then I can go home.

Whoa - you were awake with them working on your heart??? :shock:

Definitely sounds scarier than it was...might had something to do with the drugs. ;)

I could definitely feel the burn when he caratized the bad sections. Didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable.

I'm really glad it went well!!!

1 person likes this

Definitely sounds scarier than it was...might had something to do with the drugs. ;)

I could definitely feel the burn when he caratized the bad sections. Didn't hurt. Just uncomfortable.

Modern medicine is amazing. Glad you're all good.

You guys are freakin' crazy. I will never have this level of commitment to running....ever! Chomping at the bit to get going again though. How do you guys tell when you are sufficiently hydrated?

Modern medicine is amazing. Glad you're all good.

It really is amazing. The fact they can go through your legs all the way to your heart and manipulate these little wires with such precision is crazy. Burn the wrong spot and I would need a pacemaker for the rest of my life but burn the right spot and I'm cured. Unreal.

You guys are freakin' crazy. I will never have this level of commitment to running....ever! Chomping at the bit to get going again though. How do you guys tell when you are sufficiently hydrated?

Yeah, most of us said that once. :lol:

For me, I'm usually drinking water most of the day anyway, so I never really worry about hydration.

When I start to pee really yellow is when I worry about it.

Edited by ChiefD

when I have to pee.

Handy dandy chart here. In terms we can all understand.

1 person likes this

good luck on the recovery H10!

1 person likes this