Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

20,801 posts in this topic

4 years of XC for this guy and sometimes I feel like I'm only trying to chase some of the high (runner's proverbial) that I was getting back then.

Enjoyed the break in bad weather with intervals this afternoon.

Schedule called for 5x800s but I modified it slightly to 11 x 3:15, first warm up, then then alternate hard/easy with the goal being to hit just over a half mile on each of the hard, recover well during the easy.

Mission accomplished. the hard were all over .51 (6:05 pace) on the recovery intervals I'd get below 140bpm within the first minute walking, then jog the rest.

Hope the road isn't too icy tomorrow but we already have a late work call so I'll probably ride in the morning.

You guys kicked me out of the original thread.

You forgot the beer - what do you expect?

Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8

Pinhoti is the real deal bud, it's a ball buster. Know a few that have run it, Brass N Brew may have even run it or maybe he wanted to...

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went well with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Awesome man, glad to hear :thumbup:

You forgot the beer - what do you expect?

Never forget the beer :D

Ned thanks for the hat tip :bowtie::suds:

You guys are freakin' crazy. I will never have this level of commitment to running....ever! Chomping at the bit to get going again though. How do you guys tell when you are sufficiently hydrated?

Yeah, most of us said that once. :lol:

For me, I'm usually drinking water most of the day anyway, so I never really worry about hydration.

When I start to pee really yellow is when I worry about it.

Guilty.

I'd ask for the link, but the thread is still inaccessible. Anyway, welcome back!

Another great day today. 4.34 Miles, HM pace. 168 HR. 8:53 pace.

Was at 9:05 Saturday with a 172 HR for about the same distance. Weather has been a little warmer this week, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But I'm getting excited about this HR training now.

Edited by ChiefD
1 person likes this

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Hell, yeah! What's the recovery effort/time look like?

Doctor said yesterday after a week and my incisions heal, there are no restrictions. :thumbup:

Was interesting when they said I could get dressed and head home...was having a hell of a time putting my pants, socks and shoes on as sore as I was. I walked about 15 feet and noticed that I sprung a leak...my jeans were soaked in blood. Had to go lay down for another 2 hours. So yeah, I probably won't push the 1 week time table on returning to running.

Very happy with my treadmill 5K this morning. After two mile warm-up, I set it to 10.1 mph which is 5:56 pace. Surprisingly, after an uncertain first 1.5 miles I suddenly felt like I settled in like one would on a hard tempo run. I knew I had it at that point and cruised the rest of the way on much less than 100% effort. That works out to 18:26 which is better than my outside PR of 18:41.

5 people like this

Posting from the recovery room now. Procedure went will with no apparent complications. They found the bad node and ablated. Hopefully I'll be back and better than ever sooner rather than later! :thumbup:

Hell, yeah! What's the recovery effort/time look like?

Doctor said yesterday after a week and my incisions heal, there are no restrictions. :thumbup:

Was interesting when they said I could get dressed and head home...was having a hell of a time putting my pants, socks and shoes on as sore as I was. I walked about 15 feet and noticed that I sprung a leak...my jeans were soaked in blood. Had to go lay down for another 2 hours. So yeah, I probably won't push the 1 week time table on returning to running.

I expect great things out of you this summer and fall. :thumbup:

1 person likes this

Very happy with my treadmill 5K this morning. After two mile warm-up, I set it to 10.1 mph which is 5:56 pace. Surprisingly, after an uncertain first 1.5 miles I suddenly felt like I settled in like one would on a hard tempo run. I knew I had it at that point and cruised the rest of the way on much less than 100% effort. That works out to 18:26 which is better than my outside PR of 18:41.

Can't wait to see what you can do in a real 5K soon. These treadmill 5K's you've been doing are incredible. :thumbup:

Had what I guess I'd consider a breakthrough run this morning in that I was dreading it, expecting it to be extremely tough but eded up feeling great. Felt like I could have added a 3rd 5k repeat.

1m w/u 9:45

5k 24:05

1 min rest

5k 23:37

1m c/d 9:33

Treadmill w 1% incline

With an easy 3 tomorrow and 16 (will finally get outside for this one) on Sat I'll complete my first ever 40 mile week.

In a great place now, as soon as I finish a run I can't wait for the next.

11 people like this

Had what I guess I'd consider a breakthrough run this morning in that I was dreading it, expecting it to be extremely tough but eded up feeling great. Felt like I could have added a 3rd 5k repeat.

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

With an easy 3 tomorrow and 16 (will finally get outside for this one) on Sat I'll complete my first ever 40 mile week.

Sounds like a pretty good training cycle. That has to feel incredible.

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

Nice job! I'm curious about the one minute rest. That's almost no time at all! Was that pre-planned or did you just feel ready to go again?

1 min rest

Treadmill w 1% incline

Nice job! I'm curious about the one minute rest. That's almost no time at all! Was that pre-planned or did you just feel ready to go again?

It was preplanned, what the guy who put the plan together that I'm following prescribed. I had a gu, a drink, a quick calf and quad stretch then fired it up again. Good question though, not sure why it wasn't just a 10k tempo. Edited by Nigel

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.

Coming off my distance PR I got some bad news, think I tore my meniscus again in my bad knee (this would be 3rd time). Just turned around, felt that familiar twinge and my knee just about gave out. Now I can just be walking and it buckles, hate this ####. I wasn't going to be challenging Steve for the tape but the marathon I had on the books for next Saturday is a pipe dream. Trying to get registration switched to next year.

Scheduled an appointment with an ortho, probably have to get an MRI and if it's what I think surgery then 6 weeks of light duty before it I can start back into it.

Oh man, what a bummer. :( Really sorry to hear this.

Hope you can get back to healthy again soon.

Oh man, what a bummer. :( Really sorry to hear this.

Hope you can get back to healthy again soon.

Ooof, sucks. Here's to a quick recovery :banned:

:sadbanana::sadbanana:

just rub some dirt on it... you've got another knee.

1 person likes this

sucks. You related to Derrick Rose?

WTF is going on here?!

who's the new guy?

sucks. You related to Derrick Rose?

Not unless he has fat, slow, white blood in his line someplace.

Another stupid snow day because of our stupid county.

Seriously...maybe a half inch of snow here.

But that dusting over a little ice still left in places out in the backwoods shuts down school for the county.

The snow was gone by 10:30...not like just a little left...but gone and the roads are completely dry.

So, another stupid treadmill run. Which sucked worse because my receiver in our room with the treadmill was not picking up my directv signal.

Staring at a wall listening to ESPN radio...holy suck.

But the run went well.

Knees feeling good...HR starting to creep back down where I was last year before the ankle injury (which is still a little bit off of where I was before the hernia 2 years ago...and odd that its been 2 years).

One more run Saturday before my 40th birthday...not a bad time to start feeling good again.

1 person likes this

WTF is going on here?!

who's the new guy?

:shrug: Did he bring the beer?

It's probably because I was a lazy P.O.S. that let work get the best of me in January and I haven't done as much as I usually do, but...I'm going to miss snow running.

I'm going to do one more good one Saturday. Supposed to be 20, sunny, and very little wind, so...perfect. Going to head to one of the nastier trails in the area and see if I can do an hour twenty on them. It's supposed to get above freezing Sunday and could be 3 days of rain next week, so this may be it. Getting out of February on a high note and making sure March goes better than the first two months of the year...

Haven't been feeling great this week - stressed, not feeling well, sleeping poorly, etc. Did 7 easy on Tuesday, but really felt blah yesterday so just took it off. But I forced my fat ### out the door this morning to get something in.

Nine miles and 1,656' of elevation later, I feel much better. It helped that it was an amazing day - about 60 degrees, I was dripping sweat down my back onto my legs when I stopped at the peak for a few minutes to take in the views. I was feeling pretty good at that point so I decided to do some focused downhill work to trash my quads a bit, and hammered all the way back down the 1,500' hill. It varied from really technical, rocky, steep sections to steep fire road to groomed single track, and I just kept pushing. It was a total blast, especially having to really focus while moving quickly over the really rocky sections. I came home and downed nine Master Amino Pattern tabs to let the quad rebuilding begin.

I'm glad I got that "workout" in as while I'm always out on hilly stuff I haven't done much focused, hard downhill running this year. With a 50K coming up next weekend I would have liked to have gotten this in a day or two earlier as I do believe in the "it takes 10 days to gain the full benefits of a workout" theory, but 9 days should be close enough.

2 people like this

Haven't been feeling great this week - stressed, not feeling well, sleeping poorly, etc. Did 7 easy on Tuesday, but really felt blah yesterday so just took it off. But I forced my fat ### out the door this morning to get something in.

Nine miles and 1,656' of elevation later, I feel much better. It helped that it was an amazing day - about 60 degrees, I was dripping sweat down my back onto my legs when I stopped at the peak for a few minutes to take in the views. I was feeling pretty good at that point so I decided to do some focused downhill work to trash my quads a bit, and hammered all the way back down the 1,500' hill. It varied from really technical, rocky, steep sections to steep fire road to groomed single track, and I just kept pushing. It was a total blast, especially having to really focus while moving quickly over the really rocky sections. I came home and downed nine Master Amino Pattern tabs to let the quad rebuilding begin.

I'm glad I got that "workout" in as while I'm always out on hilly stuff I haven't done much focused, hard downhill running this year. With a 50K coming up next weekend I would have liked to have gotten this in a day or two earlier as I do believe in the "it takes 10 days to gain the full benefits of a workout" theory, but 9 days should be close enough.

where'd you go?

One more run Saturday before my 40th birthday...not a bad time to start feeling good again.

Soon to be a masters runner!!

beer - bummer news about the knee! :kicksrock: Tell them to operate on your heart instead of the knee ...it'll be a quicker recovery.

SFDuck - you stopped at the peak to enjoy the views ..and didn't take any pics? Your fan base is not happy about this.

--

University benefits - I went to see our trainer about my ankle. She's quite certain it's a sprained ligament on the outside of the foot (just in front/along the base of the fibula (?)) ...recommended some exercises to recover/stretch/strengthen the area. I'm hoping that I can be back in action in another few or several days for a last big training push.

where'd you go?

I live in Novato now, so my go to routes are up and down Mt. Burdell. It's a good 1,500' peak on the North end of town with trails and fire roads all up and down it, so I can mix in a few different routes and distances. It doesn't hold a candle to climbing Mt. Tam out of Mill Valley or Ross, but it works.

And while these aren't from today (sorry Tri), these capture the views and trails:

Above the fog

From the peak

Looking up

Singletrack mind

1 person likes this

where'd you go?

I live in Novato now, so my go to routes are up and down Mt. Burdell. It's a good 1,500' peak on the North end of town with trails and fire roads all up and down it, so I can mix in a few different routes and distances. It doesn't hold a candle to climbing Mt. Tam out of Mill Valley or Ross, but it works.

And while these aren't from today (sorry Tri), these capture the views and trails:

Above the fog

From the peak

Looking up

Singletrack mind

damn.

I miss that place, sooooo much.

here's a view of the first half mile of most of my runs over the last 15 years.

Wow, tough break, Beer. :sadbanana:

It's seems so serious when I read about my own heart procedure in the thread title. :o

Edited by Hang 10
1 person likes this

I got through the 7 mile tempo run yesterday, I couldn't run it on the track since it was snow covered so I did it on some roads that bordered a local park (aprox 0.5 loop). It went okay, I was hoping I would be a little faster at this point but I got through it.

6:35 167, 6:38 170, 6:36 171, 6:35 170, 6:34 172, 6:31 171, 6:26 173.

Ned,
In the old thread you mentioned that you swapped out the Vo2 max 4X1200 and the 3X1600 workouts in the Pfitz plan with tempo runs, how long were your tempo runs?

5 people like this

I usually did the 9/5, but sometimes the 8/4 when I was feeling lazy.

Dude - those HR numbers are outstanding! You're in 1:25 shape, IMO.

Edited by Ned

Thanks I will go with the 9/5 then. I have yet to run a successful half so I am not so sure about the 1:25. My last half my avg HR was 172. I am hoping that once the weather gets above 30 I will speed up.

Thanks I will go with the 9/5 then. I have yet to run a successful half so I am not so sure about the 1:25. My last half my avg HR was 172. I am hoping that once the weather gets above 30 I will speed up.

Wow, that's interesting you're LT is lower but we have a similar mHR. My HM's are always around 178, but my LT training runs are usually around that 173-175 range.

This is the official running team, yes? If so, thought I'd share that I signed up for my first 5K. Decided to stop "planning" to get more active and just start doing it. Right now I'm training on the treadmill because the snow outside is still too deep to safely get around.

One question I'm wondering - I have some soreness currently in my hips, specifically the very top of my legs in front. I assume this is because I've been kicking things up a notch, so hopefully it just goes away in time. Anything specific I might need to be concerned about?

4 people like this