Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

22,613 posts in this topic

This is the official running team, yes? If so, thought I'd share that I signed up for my first 5K. Decided to stop "planning" to get more active and just start doing it. Right now I'm training on the treadmill because the snow outside is still too deep to safely get around.

One question I'm wondering - I have some soreness currently in my hips, specifically the very top of my legs in front. I assume this is because I've been kicking things up a notch, so hopefully it just goes away in time. Anything specific I might need to be concerned about?

No, but listen to your body. When things start barking don't ignore it, that's what leads to injury. Take it easy for a few to 10 days then try pushing yourself again and see how things are feeling after.

Welcome, and stay after it!

This is the official running team, yes? If so, thought I'd share that I signed up for my first 5K. Decided to stop "planning" to get more active and just start doing it. Right now I'm training on the treadmill because the snow outside is still too deep to safely get around.

One question I'm wondering - I have some soreness currently in my hips, specifically the very top of my legs in front. I assume this is because I've been kicking things up a notch, so hopefully it just goes away in time. Anything specific I might need to be concerned about?

Good to see the race commitment!

Getting in some rest days is a safe approach. On an off day, you might spend some time working on hip rotation and flexibility. That could include some yoga or simple stretches. Also, you could do some leg swings and high knee lifts as well as some squats ...just a number of different movements (front to back, and some side to side) to hopefully ease the soreness.

When is your tune-up half, pbm?

Unfortunately there isn't one scheduled, I wish there was. In the past I have run them 10 weeks out from the marathon and while I was always disappointed with my results they were a good marathon predictor.

In 2012 I ran a 1:30:49 half and I figured that a 3:12 marathon was possible with 10 additional weeks of training. However who goes for a 3:12 when a 3:10 is your BQ time. I went for a 3:10 and ended up with a 3:14.

In 2013 I ran a 1:29:22 half off of base training, so I figured after following the Pfitz plan I could run a 3:08 and ended up with a 3:08:11.

There are 3 tuneup races scheduled in the Pfitz plan and I am having a tough time finding races to run. I think I will just run tempo runs for the first two, but I really would like to run a 10k on 4/4. Before my 2013 marathon I ran a 10k at the same point in the schedule and it was a huge confidence boost as I ran it in 38:18 which is my best race since getting back into running.

Oh as to why I didn't schedule half during this training cycle, I am an idiot

Unfortunately there isn't one scheduled, I wish there was. In the past I have run them 10 weeks out from the marathon and while I was always disappointed with my results they were a good marathon predictor.

In 2012 I ran a 1:30:49 half and I figured that a 3:12 marathon was possible with 10 additional weeks of training. However who goes for a 3:12 when a 3:10 is your BQ time. I went for a 3:10 and ended up with a 3:14.

In 2013 I ran a 1:29:22 half off of base training, so I figured after following the Pfitz plan I could run a 3:08 and ended up with a 3:08:11.

There are 3 tuneup races scheduled in the Pfitz plan and I am having a tough time finding races to run. I think I will just run tempo runs for the first two, but I really would like to run a 10k on 4/4. Before my 2013 marathon I ran a 10k at the same point in the schedule and it was a huge confidence boost as I ran it in 38:18 which is my best race since getting back into running.

:lol:

I run 9/5 tempos on the scheduled races on his plan too. I'm a tempo wh0re. :wub:

:lol:

I run 9/5 tempos on the scheduled races on his plan too. I'm a tempo wh0re. :wub:

I always (well, since 2010, anyways) throw in a half marathon about a month before a marathon. Marathon training with long tempos gets you is such great half marathon shape. I always feel like I can PR the half at that point. And it's nice to have something to show for all the hard work in case things don't work out as planned during the marathon.

I always (well, since 2010, anyways) throw in a half marathon about a month before a marathon. Marathon training with long tempos gets you is such great half marathon shape. I always feel like I can PR the half at that point. And it's nice to have something to show for all the hard work in case things don't work out as planned during the marathon.

You have got me thinking about it and I see there is one 3/22 in Ned's state.

:thumbup: What state are you in?

I completely agree, Juxt. And I didn't mean to say that I don't run tune-up HM's. I always do and have always set a HM PR during a tuneup. The volume you run for the full sets you up perfectly for the HM.

pbm - the Ceasar Rodney HM? That's a challenging, but fun course. If you end up running it, I can give you a scouting report. I know all the hills up there like the back of my hand. This link has the elevation chart - http://www.halfmarathons.net/course-map-caesar-rodney-half-marathon/

I live in Montgomery County PA, suburbs of Philadelphia. Yes it would be Ceasar Rodney HM.

Edited by pbm107

Quick self-serving (and motivating update):

I was getting pretty tubby over the winter (horrible personal stuff that thankfully appears to be subsiding). So at the start of February I weighed 189 - ugh. Fighting weight should be sub 175 and ultimate awesomeness would be achieved at 163. So, yeah, not good. I set goals of 180 at the end of February, 175 end March, 170 April, 165 May. On February 14th (just after Mardi Gras) - 188. Ugh.

This morning - 180.2. :pickle:

Onward and downward!

7 people like this

pbm - the Ceasar Rodney HM? That's a challenging, but fun course. If you end up running it, I can give you a scouting report. I know all the hills up there like the back of my hand. This link has the elevation chart - http://www.halfmarathons.net/course-map-caesar-rodney-half-marathon/

Looks like a great tune up course for Boston!

Thanks guys, I signed up.

1 person likes this

I was getting pretty tubby over the winter (horrible personal stuff that thankfully appears to be subsiding). So at the start of February I weighed 189 - ugh. Fighting weight should be sub 175 and ultimate awesomeness would be achieved at 163. So, yeah, not good. I set goals of 180 at the end of February, 175 end March, 170 April, 165 May. On February 14th (just after Mardi Gras) - 188. Ugh.

Onward and downward!

Put a little more energy into patting yourself on the back and you'd probably be below 180. Wait, did I just say that? :D Good to hear you're getting some mojo back! I truly enjoy not fully understanding your bike and swim successes.

1 person likes this

Onward and downward!

WTG tubby :hifive:

I can't weight to see what I balloon up to with this knee. Already about 10 to heavy at 195, figure if i keep it under 210 I'm doing good.

Onward and downward!

:thumbup:

Had planned a 2 hour ride this morning but my 10 year old collided with my 4 year old last night. 4 yo has a black eye, 10 yo lost half a front tooth. Took him to the dentist last night but they couldn't get him seen until 11pm (it's a Day and Night dentist, seems pretty popular around here) so we scheduled an appointment for 8 this morning instead. He'll probably get a root canal and crown. He needs braces badly anyway so maybe this will expedite things.

Frankly I don't feel motivated this morning, and the Higdon program calls for a rest day so I'll be resting instead.

February closes with 246 miles. 5 swim, 6 hike, 101 run, 134 bike (indoor trainer), total of 28 hours with a almost perfectly consistent 7 hours per week.

For the year, total 575 miles; 262 run. 301 bike. I'll be getting back in the pool more after March.

Onward and downward!

Congrats on being only 20 lbs overweight. :thumbup:

1 person likes this

Any of you running the Phoenix marathon? My in laws and wonderful wife are the ones with the ridiculously annoying cowbells. :hot:

New to the thread. Started running about a year ago, and have been training on the treadmill in the winter. Typically do 8 miles @ 8min/mi 3 times a week. I was asked to do a half marathon with people from work, so I'm taking the plunge in early April. I took a look at the calculators in the OP, and it has me at about a 1:48 for 13.1. Is it all in my head, or is this possible based upon where I am right now? I guess I'm asking strategy, because I'd assume to go another 5.1 miles, I'm pushing my pace up into the 9 minute mile arena, and gauging how I feel. Going to do some outside runs coming up in March with the weather in SE PA getting (hopefully) a little better and test this out. Do you guys find if you can consistently run X pace for Y miles, ticking the pace up Z will get you within the range of a target time for a race? I think that's where I'm struggling with the online calculators.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I finally have a reason to pop into this thread.

1 person likes this

New to the thread. Started running about a year ago, and have been training on the treadmill in the winter. Typically do 8 miles @ 8min/mi 3 times a week. I was asked to do a half marathon with people from work, so I'm taking the plunge in early April. I took a look at the calculators in the OP, and it has me at about a 1:48 for 13.1. Is it all in my head, or is this possible based upon where I am right now? I guess I'm asking strategy, because I'd assume to go another 5.1 miles, I'm pushing my pace up into the 9 minute mile arena, and gauging how I feel. Going to do some outside runs coming up in March with the weather in SE PA getting (hopefully) a little better and test this out. Do you guys find if you can consistently run X pace for Y miles, ticking the pace up Z will get you within the range of a target time for a race? I think that's where I'm struggling with the online calculators.

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I finally have a reason to pop into this thread.

Welcome!

How do you feel after those 8 milers at 8:00 pace? Assuming you're handling those reasonably comfortably, I think 1:48 is certainly obtainable. In fact, holding that 8:00 pace the whole way shouldn't be out of the question. You'll be psyched on race day and able to push yourself to do things you might not be able to do on a routine training run.

Agreed, if you're running 8min pace for 8 miles in training runs then you can likely run close to that pace in a race. Keep hanging out here and the guys who know stuff will help you out along the way.

Done with my 16 mile long run, treadmill again. Just too damn cold this morning and I had to get it done early. 9:50 pace over the first 10, 9:30 over the last six. Felt great overall but hunger was an issue throughout, took 5 GUs to get through it despite eating a banana and an English muffin w peanut butter 2 hrs before the run.

40 miles for the week, day off tomorrow and on to week 13.

4 people like this

Don't worry too much about the race goal until you get outside for some runs. The first ones might seem sluggish vs. the treadmill. But I agree that if you're holding 8's for 8, you have a good shot at extending that out to 13.1. Remember that you won't be able to improve much over the two weeks prior to the race, so get outside as soon as you can!

Hey dudes I've gained 20lbs since the Chicago Marathon in Oct. I hate winter running and treadmills. Cannot wait to get back outside and back into this thread.

1 person likes this

Rest day turned into 90 minute rock climbing with my 12yo. My grip is weak

2 people like this

Rest day turned into 90 minute rock climbing with my 12yo. My grip is weak

Did a high ropes course with my 9 year old about 2 months ago. I went up to make sure he was safe. Yeah, right. Kid was 2 obstacles ahead of me at all times and constantly asking why I was so slow. He thoroughly trounced me.

:bag:

Best run since October. 9 snow covered hilly trail miles. No climbs were more than 250 feet, but there were more than a half dozen of them and one was so steep I had to army crawl up the top embankment. I got about 3/4 of the way up and started slipping on the ice, after the third failed attempt I just fell then rolled over and crawled the rest of the way. Glad no one was around to see that! All told, took me an hour twenty and I was able to get three miles under 7:30 despite the conditions and single digit temps. Beautiful sunny windless morning, very happy I made the thirty minute trek to this area for this run.

For something totally different tomorrow I'm going to high step my way for 3-4 miles on the unshoveled sidewalks in the neighborhood as we get blanketed by another half foot of snow. But for now, vino.

4 people like this

Guess I can't complain about tomorrow's forecast. 7am 29 degrees and freezing drizzle. It will get into the 40s again but should rain most of the day.

Nice 5 miles for my last run before 40.

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I like having total time, total mileage, lap time and HR all one the screen.

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

I know there are several that like the TomTom

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

What is your price limit? The Tom Tom is only $100 and may get you what you want. The polar M400 does 4 data fields (and a nice return to start feature). The 310XT also does (and does lots of other stuff, but is a bit bulkier than some). I'm sure the running Garmins (620, etc.) will do what you want, but $$$.

Or maybe a refurbished 610 for $120?

Lots of choices out there.

Sho nuff - happy birthday!

I like Tom but it depends what you want. I'm perfectly happy to only see HR and time for most of my runs. If you want more, it might not work as well for you.

If anyone is interested in joining a long running dynasty league, I'm taking over one of my favorites as co-commissioner this year (last commish is still around but is getting too busy so two of us took over together). http://www2.myfantasyleague.com/2015/home/20654#0 We have one open for sure and are waiting for 6 replies; in a 32 team league we've had some turnover but it's a good group. 14 years and running. Figured I'd ask here first before the "looking for leagues" forum as I'd rather get people I know (and have obvious commitment) involved than random strangers.

Just wondering.

What is your price limit? The Tom Tom is only $100 and may get you what you want. The polar M400 does 4 data fields (and a nice return to start feature). The 310XT also does (and does lots of other stuff, but is a bit bulkier than some). I'm sure the running Garmins (620, etc.) will do what you want, but $$$.

Or maybe a refurbished 610 for $120?

Lots of choices out there.

If its just a GPS/HR monitor...price limit is probably $150 right now. Just not sure at this point how much more serious training I am going to be doing going forward. I like that now I run because I want to...not because I have to for some event.

I up that price range if there are other capabilities (like the VivoActive...being able to sync with my phone into a smart watch as well as having the GPS and HR capabilities)

That 610 looks good...have been looking at the Garmin factory outlet on some refurbed 405 and 110 I think...but they look like they only do 3 fields...the more I think about it...the more my need for 4 fields is dwindling. It is a prefernce...but for what my training mostly is, I don't know that I need to have my total time there during a run. More interested in my lap, HR, and distance.

Just things I am looking at.

Thanks for the post.

Edited by sho nuff

Just 31 miles for me this week. After's Thursday's treadmill 5K, my Achilles/heel that was bothering me a little started bothering me a lot. I took an extra day off, cancelled a long run and have ran easy the last few days. It's better, but there is still lingering tenderness. With two weeks before my first 5K, I see little upside in being aggressive with it so I think this upcoming week will be an easy one. I have a new pair of shoes which should also help.

Quality, not quantity this week. Same number of miles (19), but a better overall week.

Monday- three mile recovery run after a solid seven Sunday, only real tough aspect was all of the snow drifts I needed to jump

Wednesday- four miler, pushed it a little bit. Ran into some rough, unshoveled terrain mile two which wiped away energy for a strong finish but I was able to maintain a sub eight minute pace despite it.

Saturday- 9 snow covered hilly trail miles, best run of the year so far. Took an hour twenty with three miles under 7:30.

Today- didn't really know what I wanted to do when I headed about, but a half mile in I decided to test my hand at speed intervals. With all the snow that has came down and is coming down? That was a lot of fun. I held a sub six minute pace for more than five minutes at one point, then closed with several shorter bursts at the same pace.

Very solid week. I don't think I'm going to beat my five mile St Pattys day time from last year, but the last two weeks have me slightly more optimistic I can if the weather holds race day.

2 people like this

Juxt sorry to hear about the achilles/heel, get some rest.

MAC- you have some serious talent I would love to see what you could with some more miles.

Had a decent week with zero miles on the treadmill.

Mon AM 6 at 8:37 140, PM 4 at 7:57 147
Tue 15 at 8:04 142, I was happy this run considering I went out of my way to run a hilly route and felt strong throughout. It did beat up my quads though and I am still feeling the effects today. I need to run more hills.
Wed 6.5 at 8:38 139
Thur 12 with 7 at tempo
6:35 167, 6:38 170, 6:36 171, 6:35 170, 6:34 172, 6:31 171, 6:26 173.
Fri OFF
Sat 22 at 8:11 141
Sun 5 at 9:10 135

70 for the week and 263 for the month

5 people like this

Just 31 miles for me this week. After's Thursday's treadmill 5K, my Achilles/heel that was bothering me a little started bothering me a lot. I took an extra day off, cancelled a long run and have ran easy the last few days. It's better, but there is still lingering tenderness. With two weeks before my first 5K, I see little upside in being aggressive with it so I think this upcoming week will be an easy one. I have a new pair of shoes which should also help.

Freshness over fitness at this point, just make sure you're as close to 100% as possible race day.

Freshness over fitness at this point, just make sure you're as close to 100% as possible race day.

Yes, I agree. I've had Achilles problems so many times over the years that I'm not too worried about it. More annoying than anything else.

MAC- you have some serious talent I would love to see what you could with some more miles.

I have consistency issues. My primary goal for this year is to become a quality distance trail runner. I figure if I have issues staying focused running distance on the road that maybe that issue can be masked if I do more on trails. I did better on the road last year than previous years, but I hit a wall during fall training. Trying something a little different this year.

Saddling up to start back again tomorrow (been off this whole last week). It's felt like forever and I'm not sure how much progress I've "lost" in this week. I don't think I should pick up where I left off. Maybe go back to the week prior and do that plan and see how it goes?

Saddling up to start back again tomorrow (been off this whole last week). It's felt like forever and I'm not sure how much progress I've "lost" in this week. I don't think I should pick up where I left off. Maybe go back to the week prior and do that plan and see how it goes?

Pick up where you left off. From my experience that week off is often a good thing, even though it doesn't seem like it until after you're back at it. You're refreshed now. If there is any sort of unusual discomfort, during or after, the first one back then re-eval but I'd just start off as you were.