What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

How much do you guys pay attention to cadence? When I started I found that I was very plodding, running below 150 bpm. I've been using the Spotify app to push that up and now have been running at 160. I know optimum is often cited as 180 but at my speed that just feels too unnatural and choppy. At 160 I feel lighter and it's easier to speed up than it was when I was running at a lower cadence. I may try to push it higher as I speed up (I hope). What's this crew run at for cadence? Am I still slow at 160?

I've always considered doing something like this but never have.  Usually I run hard no more than twice a week.  The concern, of course, is I won't recover properly from the workouts and I'll start performing poorly or even get injured.  However, I've noticed I haven't been improving much this year which makes me want to try to mix things up.   This kind of training just seems to feel like the right thing to do for some reason. I also think I've worked enough on my endurance base that I can neglect it a little for a while.  Besides, I'll still get in around 50 miles a week.  Thoughts?  Does this sound stupid?
I don't think it is a good idea to run more two quality workouts in a week, and I don't recall seeing any training plans recommending anything like it.  I wouldn't be too alarmed about not seeing much improvement so far this year, you like many of us improved a ton in the Fall after a great summer/fall marathon cycle.  I am happy with my Spring season, but I was in better shape in the Fall.  I am certain we are both in better shape this Spring than last, which should give us a better starting point for summer buildup for Fall racing season.

I'm curious what the actual plan looks like.  Are you still going to be running 7 days/week?  Doing 4 hard workouts per week?  The thought of stacking intervals - recovery - tempo in a 3 day span makes my hamstrings cringe.  Doing it for a few months sounds like you're asking to go on the shelf.  
Yes, 7 days.  I'm trying to run by feel more and if it feels too difficult to back off.  I think that will be important.  My last 7 days on Strava would be a good example of what I'm considering although I've started this a little conservatively (only 400s for intervals, 4 mile tempos).  However, you've probably right that I shouldn't do this.  I guess it's easy enough to stop if I notice myself struggling.
Ahhh I see it now.  Man I didn't realize that was all stacked in a single week!

Wed = 8/4 tempo
Thu = 6mi easy 
Fri = 6mi w/ 8x400
Sat = 7 easy (that was fast for easy)
Sun = 12 fast finish? it also looks like the last 4 were really tempo so this was a 12/4 tempo?
Mon = 5 easy (that seems more like it pace wise - your HR agrees)
Tue  = 7/4 tempo

3 tempos and an interval session in a 7 day span - how are you not crippled with soreness? :shock:   :shock:   :shock:  

goes back to what I said earlier:

Wouldn't it be worth testing the theory that rest makes you faster?

I sort of get it though, a swim day is somewhat of a rest day for me. 
Full disclosure, a lot of my rest days haven't been true rest days - some strength training, some hiking, some coaching.  When I think of true rest days I've had a total of 3 since Easter.  1 was weather, only 1 was general fatigue, and 1 was this past Friday to get ready for the half.

thanks, but I'm the ####### who kept running on it after the problem started.  I'll manage and finish but the sub 5 hour dream is going to have to wait.
When are you heading to Chattanooga?  I'll be up there with some buddies mid-Saturday if you want to get together.  Also hoping for sub-5.

How much do you guys pay attention to cadence? When I started I found that I was very plodding, running below 150 bpm. I've been using the Spotify app to push that up and now have been running at 160. I know optimum is often cited as 180 but at my speed that just feels too unnatural and choppy. At 160 I feel lighter and it's easier to speed up than it was when I was running at a lower cadence. I may try to push it higher as I speed up (I hope). What's this crew run at for cadence? Am I still slow at 160?
I don't actively track it, but I do try to consciously think about keeping my stride lighter with quicker turnover.  I seem to naturally over-stride...  

My watch tracks my cadence based on arm swing...  I can't see that being 100% accurate, but it looks like I am in the 175-180 range on anything slower than tempo pacing.  My last tempo run I was at 184.  

Full disclosure, a lot of my rest days haven't been true rest days - some strength training, some hiking, some coaching.  When I think of true rest days I've had a total of 3 since Easter.  1 was weather, only 1 was general fatigue, and 1 was this past Friday to get ready for the half.
sure.  When I think of a rest day I'm not thinking of sitting around binging on Netflix.

When are you heading to Chattanooga?  I'll be up there with some buddies mid-Saturday if you want to get together.  Also hoping for sub-5.
Saturday morning.  It only takes 2 hours but we lose an hour, so probably around 1ish.  Would love to do dinner or just get together.  I won't have anyone up there, some company would be great. 

sure.  When I think of a rest day I'm not thinking of sitting around binging on Netflix.

Saturday morning.  It only takes 2 hours but we lose an hour, so probably around 1ish.  Would love to do dinner or just get together.  I won't have anyone up there, some company would be great.
You got it.  PM me your number and I'll text you.  We'll probably do dinner somewhere around Ross's Landing/downtown area, as half of us are staying downtown and the other half out at Lookout Mountain.  I'll probably get into town around 4:00ish local time.

You got it.  PM me your number and I'll text you.  We'll probably do dinner somewhere around Ross's Landing/downtown area, as half of us are staying downtown and the other half out at Lookout Mountain.  I'll probably get into town around 4:00ish local time.
:thumbup:   gives me time to check into the hotel before meeting up. 

Pretty amazing @MAC_32 and from what I can tell from Strava your max mileage week is 43. I know you do a bunch of other stuff to augment but you've clearly got the formula nailed. Write a book. 

Great stuff, @MAC_32.  You're really running well.  I ran 8 miles up in Grand Rapids, MI on Sunday morning and had a few snow flurries up there!  Speaking of which, Grand Rapids has a really good fall marathon.  Easy logistics and a generally flat, fast course.

@Juxtatarot, I understand your every-day mentality since, as you note, you have a number of easy runs each week.  I feel that's as good for recovery as a day off in that you're getting the blood moving through the system, which is beneficial.  I agree that two quality workouts a week should be the goal.  But don't get stubborn about the days off. 

Hang 10 said:
Just got a pair of Saucony Kinvara 6's from runningwarehouse.com at almost a 50% discount. :thumbup:  
I don't know what shoe you typically run in but keep in mind that the Kinvara has a 4 mm drop.  Sometimes when transitioning from a traditional drop to a 4 mm you can experience some achilles soreness.

@Hang 10 ...remind me what shoes you typically use (since I'm a low mm guy myself).  At some point I should probably break from my Asics-only mentality, though I do love the DS Racers.

5K for me on Saturday.  I've had six track workouts over the past four weeks though overall mileage has been less than 30 miles/week.  Amazing how the mileage can drop when we don't make it a major priority (which has been the case for me post-Boston).  Intervals have included a couple each of one milers (4x1 and 3x1, the latter at 6:32, 6:29, 6:24), 800m's (4x800 and 8x800, the latter at 3:10), and 400m's (8x400 and 4x400, the latter yesterday at a comfortable :87-:88 per rep).  Hope to run something around 20:30-20:40.

@Hang 10 ...remind me what shoes you typically use (since I'm a low mm guy myself).  At some point I should probably break from my Asics-only mentality, though I do love the DS Racers.

5K for me on Saturday.  I've had six track workouts over the past four weeks though overall mileage has been less than 30 miles/week.  Amazing how the mileage can drop when we don't make it a major priority (which has been the case for me post-Boston).  Intervals have included a couple each of one milers (4x1 and 3x1, the latter at 6:32, 6:29, 6:24), 800m's (4x800 and 8x800, the latter at 3:10), and 400m's (8x400 and 4x400, the latter yesterday at a comfortable :87-:88 per rep).  Hope to run something around 20:30-20:40.
Lately I've been rotating brooks purecadences, saucony triumph iso's and hoka cliftons. Originally I ran in pureconnects and I can't remember why I switched to the cadence...I just found out recently that it was a stability shoe. Guess I don't need that. 

Great job Mac! Love the hat tip to Sand first mile then just crushing it in #### weather. You're a little more accustomed to it but I had some friends drive up from SC to run what I assume was the marathon portion of this race. His comment on the conditions: Coldest most miserable marathon ever. 38 deg. 18-20 mph winds, sleet, snow and rain the whole time.

Congrats man!
Conversation at work today made me think of your post.  I make a point of it to stick to my schedule and run outside regardless of the elements (within reason) and this is a big reason why.  We never know what mother nature may throw at us race day, so preparing in the worst gets you ready to run in the worst...if you end up needing to.  I get that a South Carolina guy isn't going to have as many opportunities to run in conditions like we had Sunday, but those 90+ degree days in the middle of Summer?  Get out and get it done.  You'll benefit from it some day when you aren't expecting it.

Conversation at work today made me think of your post.  I make a point of it to stick to my schedule and run outside regardless of the elements (within reason) and this is a big reason why.  We never know what mother nature may throw at us race day, so preparing in the worst gets you ready to run in the worst...if you end up needing to.  I get that a South Carolina guy isn't going to have as many opportunities to run in conditions like we had Sunday, but those 90+ degree days in the middle of Summer?  Get out and get it done.  You'll benefit from it some day when you aren't expecting it.
Oh he does, he's one of the better ultra guys in the area. He's also an OH native so he knows what to expect (although all he brought to run in Sunday was shorts and a singlet). We do have opportunities to train in the cold during the winter, morning are in the 20's pretty regularly and if you really want the winter experience, drive an hour to the mountains and run in the snow. Just don't think anybody was expecting it in May but i guess their weather app was broke...all week :loco:

Agree 100% with you on training no matter the condition. Never have a guarantee what the weather is going to be race day and if you're running a marathon + the weather is for sure going to change over that long a period anyway so you have to be ready for anything. Right now we have ultra runners doing heat training for the races coming up in June/July/August. Gotta do it or you'll melt like butter when the sun gets up & hot.

beer 30 said:
Oh he does, he's one of the better ultra guys in the area. He's also an OH native so he knows what to expect (although all he brought to run in Sunday was shorts and a singlet). We do have opportunities to train in the cold during the winter, morning are in the 20's pretty regularly and if you really want the winter experience, drive an hour to the mountains and run in the snow. Just don't think anybody was expecting it in May but i guess their weather app was broke...all week :loco:

Agree 100% with you on training no matter the condition. Never have a guarantee what the weather is going to be race day and if you're running a marathon + the weather is for sure going to change over that long a period anyway so you have to be ready for anything. Right now we have ultra runners doing heat training for the races coming up in June/July/August. Gotta do it or you'll melt like butter when the sun gets up & hot.
Yup, this.  If the weather race day sucks and you hit the treadmill every time it's too hot, too cold, too rainy, too windy, you'll be unprepared.  Get out there and Embrace the Suck!

Not that anyone in this thread doesn't do this already.  I'm already bracing myself for the daily suck index updates from all you guys living east of the Rockies in the humidity zones. ;)

Thirteen days off post-100K with just a fair amount of walking and another week of business travel (and accompanying nightly steak houses and last call late nights), I was sure ready to get back at it today.  Ran 5 miles without worrying about heart rate, pace (well, I never worry about pace), or anything else, just testing everything out.  Even ran up a couple small inclines and threw in a few strides at the end, everything felt pretty good!  I'll continue to just get out and do what feels good for the next two weeks, including a week in the Bahamas at the end of the month, and then jump into a training block for Cascade Crest.  I'm already getting excited to get back out there on a long run (was thinking about Western State's Memorial Day training runs) but I know I still have some deeper recovery needed before that happens.  

I don't actively track it, but I do try to consciously think about keeping my stride lighter with quicker turnover.  I seem to naturally over-stride...  

My watch tracks my cadence based on arm swing...  I can't see that being 100% accurate, but it looks like I am in the 175-180 range on anything slower than tempo pacing.  My last tempo run I was at 184.  
Interesting... Looked at my numbers from a short run today and was wondering if anything jumps out as an issue:

cadence 179spm

Smoothness 50

Ground contact ~300ms

Oscillation: moved around a bit but avg 2.8"

I've been seeing pretty big improvements in pace and distance which is good. Just finally started running a bit more seriously in March and my pace on ~2mi normal runs (I'm still n00b and am building endurance) has fallen from 10:30 to as low as 8:30, but generally low 9s now. Should I be trying to push pace more, or distance? Or both (1 long run a week and 1-2 shorter pace runs?)  I'm trying to get 3-4 runs in a week now while the weather is nice. 

had two week long setbacks with a bad cold and BBQfest. 

I think I'm finally actually hooked.  Today was rough day at work, I was hungover and exhausted from late night (2am at bar) so I forced myself to run (short but good) and felt 10x better after. If I wake up early and the GF is still sleeping, I find myself slipping out for a run. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucks County Mile Race Report

On the site where you sign up for this race there is a page that shows the list of participants and as of Monday I was a little concerned that there wasn't any faster runners signed up.  When I checked again on Thursday, I was happy to see that a 19 year old was now in the race and while he didn't have an Athlinks profile he ran a sub 57 400 hurdles for his college team.  This was good I now had someone to chase.

Yesterday when I got to the race I saw the college kid, two high school kids that looked fast, and three other guys about my age that had potential.  I was happy there should be plenty of competition.  As we lined up for the race I found myself next to the college kid and I was confident that he'd be the one to win this thing.  When the gun went off after about 200m the two high school kids were leading, the college kid was right behind them, and was in 4th.  I figured since the college kid was a sprinter that maybe he's just stay with the leaders and sprint at the end to win it.  As we approached the 1/4 mile marker the one high school kid and the college kid started to slow down and I passed them and was now in 2nd place.  I crossed the 1/4 mile marker at 1:15, which is right where I wanted to be.  At about 600m the leader started to slow down and I passed him but now I started to notice a decent headwind.  I got to the 1/2 mile marker at around 1:32 and tried to pick up the pace.  There was a pace car next to me shooting video and I am pretty sure I was running faster because as I passed the car and the girl shooting the video told the driver to speed up to keep up with me.  As I passed the 3/4 mile marker I had fallen even more off 5:00 mile pace, which was disappointing but I was still in the lead.  I couldn't go any faster the last 1/4 mile and ended up finishing around 5:09 for first overall.

Considering I really haven't done much training since Broad Street I am happy with this result.  I think this is a race I will do again and within a year or two I think I will break 5.

Bucks County Mile Race Report

On the site where you sign up for this race there is a page that shows the list of participants and as of Monday I was a little concerned that there wasn't any faster runners signed up.  When I checked again on Thursday, I was happy to see that a 19 year old was now in the race and while he didn't have an Athlinks profile he ran a sub 57 400 hurdles for his college team.  This was good I now had someone to chase.

Yesterday when I got to the race I saw the college kid, two high school kids that looked fast, and three other guys about my age that had potential.  I was happy there should be plenty of competition.  As we lined up for the race I found myself next to the college kid and I was confident that he'd be the one to win this thing.  When the gun went off after about 200m the two high school kids were leading, the college kid was right behind them, and was in 4th.  I figured since the college kid was a sprinter that maybe he's just stay with the leaders and sprint at the end to win it.  As we approached the 1/4 mile marker the one high school kid and the college kid started to slow down and I passed them and was now in 2nd place.  I crossed the 1/4 mile marker at 1:15, which is right where I wanted to be.  At about 600m the leader started to slow down and I passed him but now I started to notice a decent headwind.  I got to the 1/2 mile marker at around 1:32 and tried to pick up the pace.  There was a pace car next to me shooting video and I am pretty sure I was running faster because as I passed the car and the girl shooting the video told the driver to speed up to keep up with me.  As I passed the 3/4 mile marker I had fallen even more off 5:00 mile pace, which was disappointing but I was still in the lead.  I couldn't go any faster the last 1/4 mile and ended up finishing around 5:09 for first overall.

Considering I really haven't done much training since Broad Street I am happy with this result.  I think this is a race I will do again and within a year or two I think I will break 5.
Damn right! :excited:    :headbang:   Figures you got me by 3 seconds!!

Let us know if you find that video.

If I wake up early and the GF is still sleeping, I find myself slipping out for a run. 
And if she's awake, you get to slip in.  Win ...win.  

I wouldn't worry too much about pace yet.  The endurance will continue to help bring down the overall pacing (as your legs get stronger and your aerobic capacity improves).  Instead of focusing on the pace, focus on a crisp, smooth stride (as you mention, cadence, ground contact, etc.).  When you feel like you're floating, it's a beautiful thing.

Lew Blond Memorial 5K

20:58 (6:41/mile per my watch), HR 173

1st of 8 AG, 18th of 663 overall

The main goal here was to squeeze in a 5K before heading to Europe for a month next Sunday.  Training was decent the last few weeks, but I didn't know how much the late speed work would help me here.  Morning routines all went off without a hitch.  Arrived about an hour early ...plenty of time to pick up my gear back and then head out to run the course as my warm-up.  It was a very flat course.  I freaked out a few volunteers who saw a runner coming down the course half an hour before the race!  The start was crowded with kids (Blond had been a middle school arts teacher who died from ALS).  Despite starting just off the start line, the first couple hundred yards were the usual madness.  But the race itself was quite uneventful.  I picked off several runners while two teenagers caught me.  Pleased with the even pacing ...just need to put in more after my long vacation! 

Mile 1: 6:36 ...164 HR

Mile 2: 6:46 ...174 HR

Mile 3: 6:44 ...178 HR

.1 mile: 6:25 ...180 HR

Got a nice shout-out during awards for beating many of the younger age groups ...but then on the way home, I realized they'd messed up and given me the next category's 65+ 3rd place award.  Not sure how they got ahead of themselves.   :unsure:

Well, that 4-mile run today sucked. The conditions were great, but the course was just up one hill and down the other. People who like that sort of thing have something wrong with them and should talk to someone.

I started off well, but it eventually caught up with me about the 3.5 mile mark (which also happened to be the base of the largest hill on the course. I had nothing left in me and ended up breaking down and ended up having to walk from 3.5-3.75. According to the MapMyRun app, the hill rose about 170 feet over the quarter-mile. I don't know if that is a lot, but it sure as hell felt like it.

Split times:

09:20

08:44

09:28

11:38

My goal for the race was 09:30/mile. Aside from my physical breakdown, I'm pretty happy, having hit 09:45.
Braggin' time....

Returned to this course today for this year's race.  Here are the split times one year later (first and last split time are a little skewed, having started/stopped the app early/late):

09:30

08:35

09:16

09:38

Official chip time was 36:41.  Managed to climb the hill at the end and knock 2:19 off of my time from last year.  My pace went from 9:45/mile last year to 9:10.  Last year, I was 160 out of 391.  This year, I was 65 out of 212.  

Way to go, CCC2!   :clap:   I remember that hill and the course ...the big hill, then a right turn to the finish, as I recall from checking google maps.  Way to hang tough on that hill!

Hey guys.  I started a thread about starting out a couch to 5k and a bunch of runners suggested I come post over here.

I'm north of 300lb, 6'2" and my wife and I starting the day after tomorrow. The plan is to take it slow.  Do each week and if I can't do it without feeling like I'm dying I'll just repeat the week.  I'm going to look for a 5k to sign up for somewhere in the early fall.  9 weeks I think is a bit too quick, I'm guessing more like 12 or more considering my current shape.  

I got us both some Hoka Bondis (wow, they feel funky but super cush) and we moved our schedules around so we can go 3-4x a week after dropping the kids off at school. Wish me luck!

(Here is my other thread if you're interested...  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/743318-couch-to-5k-and-betting-on-it/ )

Hey guys.  I started a thread about starting out a couch to 5k and a bunch of runners suggested I come post over here.

I'm north of 300lb, 6'2" and my wife and I starting the day after tomorrow. The plan is to take it slow.  Do each week and if I can't do it without feeling like I'm dying I'll just repeat the week.  I'm going to look for a 5k to sign up for somewhere in the early fall.  9 weeks I think is a bit too quick, I'm guessing more like 12 or more considering my current shape.  

I got us both some Hoka Bondis (wow, they feel funky but super cush) and we moved our schedules around so we can go 3-4x a week after dropping the kids off at school. Wish me luck!

(Here is my other thread if you're interested...  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/743318-couch-to-5k-and-betting-on-it/ )
Nice. The hardest part of this journey is taking the first step. After two weeks you will be angry at yourself if you DON'T go. Just keep it up. 

I started 4 years ago when my neighbor asked if I wanted to run a half marathon. Sure, I said! I was never a runner. Granted, I ran when I played competitive soccer, but never ran at all. Hated it. Some days I still hate it. But I do it. Why?

4 years later and I've lost 20 pounds and have kept it off. I've run 9 half marathons and 1 marathon, and training for my second. And some days I still hate it. And it's hard. And there are days where you just don't wanna go. But go anyway. It will change your life.

Changed mine for the better. I eat better. I drink booze less. I look and feel better. And this thread has helped me pretty much the whole way. The advice and support you will get here is invaluable. Great group of people.

And if she's awake, you get to slip in.  Win ...win.  

I wouldn't worry too much about pace yet.  The endurance will continue to help bring down the overall pacing (as your legs get stronger and your aerobic capacity improves).  Instead of focusing on the pace, focus on a crisp, smooth stride (as you mention, cadence, ground contact, etc.).  When you feel like you're floating, it's a beautiful thing.
Good point on focusing on stride smoothness. I could stand to improve there certainly. Going to head out for a short run again this am. Was up late drinking with friends at a cookout again, so will likely suck but I want to go. 

Anyone have suggestions on a good mix/format for a 3x a week program? Two short and one long day where I push distance? Something different? Should I be pushing pace on any days or let that naturally come? 

Oh, and I was reading through this thread a bit on Friday but it's so big.  Going to take a while.   :)
If you're going to read the whole thread you should start at the beginning!

But, seriously, there are some good links to general info in the first page but other than that I don't think you need to bother even skimming.  This thread isn't like some others where someone will be angry that you asked a question that clearly was answered 30 pages prior.  Just jump on in with questions and with reflections on your new journey.  Good luck!

Good point on focusing on stride smoothness. I could stand to improve there certainly. Going to head out for a short run again this am. Was up late drinking with friends at a cookout again, so will likely suck but I want to go. 

Anyone have suggestions on a good mix/format for a 3x a week program? Two short and one long day where I push distance? Something different? Should I be pushing pace on any days or let that naturally come? 
2 short, 1 long sounds fine.  You don't need to worry about pace for now since you're focusing on endurance.  However, if you're having a good day, feel great during a run and want to test out your speed a bit, I say go for it.  

Cause & Event 5K race report

My 9 y/o daughter has been doing a thing at school the last couple of months calld Fit Girls. All seven of the elementery schools in town have an after school thing where the girls get out and run a couple of times a week after school with the goal of running a 5K at the end of the program. Today was the race.

I had no intention of racing today. By the time I knew about the race and went to register it had sold out, so I was just going to watch and support my daughter. The race was starting at 8am, so walked down to the HS where it was starting at around 7:30 so my daughter could find her friends and get ready. I was dressed for a run, planned to do a ten miler after the race finished, with my while my wife would bring Lily home. I ran into the lady who runs the program, who I know, and she asked if I was running. I told her no, got shut out of registration. She pulled an extra bib out of her bag and offered it to me but it was registered to an 11 y/o girl...I said no thanks, that would be weird. So I went on my way and was milling around waiting for the race to start and the same lady came up to me with another lady who said to me "my husband decided not to run, take his bib." Hmmm...49 y/o male?...#### it, I'll run. So I pinned the thing to my shorts and got in line two minutes before the gun. I wasn't sure what may plan was...am I really racing this thing with no warm up, in another dude's name?

There were 1,000 registered runners, 250 of them 9 - 11 y/o girls from the fit girls program, and tons of other kids. By the time I figured out I was running I didn't have time to get to the front so when the gun went off it was a bit chaotic trying to get free from the pack. A lot of the kids, predictably, went out in full-on sprint mode but faded immediately. It was not a fast field, lots of families running together. I broke free of the kid-pack, saw a few guys going out quick ahead of me, and deciced yes - I guess I am racing.

The course took two quick rights then on to Mass Ave. When you make the turn you can see clearly 1/2 mile down the road and I could see there were 10 or so people ahead of me after the first 1/4, on guy way out in front. The course is essentially a segment of the run I do almost every morning. The Mass Ave portion (uphill) runs paralell to the paved bike path I typically run on, then the course hooks around and the way back is actually on the bike path, downhill the whole way home. My 5K PR from last fall was 20:27, and one of my goals for this racing season is to get it under 20:00. I wasn't thinking it was going to happen today and frankly I'd rather wait until I had my own bib to make it "official".

First mile: 6:32 I didn't feel great, just not loose at all and felt like I may have gone out too fast. I looked at my watch soon after the turn onto Mass Ave and it said 6:02, and I slowed down from there considerable. Spent a lot of energy busting out of the kid zone.

Second mile: 6:41. I hit the bike path at about the 1.7 mile mark and had told myself leading up to that point that this was when I would turn it on. But when I got there I felt like it was too early, that I wouldn't be able to sustain it, so I waited. And it was a little slower than it should have been.

Third mile: 6:21. With a mile to go I tried to push it. I had not passed anyone or been passed sinc the 1/4 mark. There was a guy who had been 20 yds ahead the entire time though and I set my sights on passing him. He knew I was there, as he would later tell me, and sped up as I did. With a half mile to go I had to seriously fight the urge to puke. Had to slow down and take a few deep breaths, swallow hard, made some wretching dry-heave noises but kept it in. Got that under control and finished strong but never caught the guy and actually got picked with 20 yds to go by a guy who came out of nowhere. I'm not sure what the final .1 split was as once again I failed to turn my watch off at the end of a race.

Official time was 20:08, a 19 second PR, 9th place overall. I'm totally ok with not going under 20 this time around. I didn't prepare this past week with racing in mind and certainly would have done some things diffrently to have fresher legs. Very happy with how it went under the circumstances and have no doubt I'll be in the 19s next time around.

And my daughter did great! 33:13 and very pleased with herself. Of my three kids I refer to her as "the lazy one". Very athletic but not nearly as competitive as the other two, but she's coming around!

Nice racing, fellas! 

I had an interesting little Sunday. Saw that there was a local 5K at elementary school approx 4 1/2 miles from my house. It just so happens that this school wasn't far off my normal long run route. Also, this race was at an odd time (2PM) and the medal monger in me thought it might be a winnable race. So I figured, I'd bring some cash and if I felt up to it, I'd jump in. 

I started my long run and I ain't feeling great but not too bad either. What the hell..I'm in. I get to the race around 30 minutes early and register. Run another half mile to make it an even 5 miles and then stretch and size up the competition. I see one tall kid with a high school cross country shirt and figure, I'm ####ed. Whatever...just use the race as workout and try to post something respectable.

Race starts and CC kid is quickly in the lead which he never relinquishes. There's a few other pretenders starting out fast but for the most part there's not a lot of competition, as I figured there wouldn't be.

Mile 1 - 6:13 (180)

I'm feeling okayish...honestly I'm bummed I'm not going to win this dumb race but I press on and try to hold even splits. I drop the kid in 2nd place that started way too fast and that was probably the last exciting bit of the race.

Mile 2 - 6:13 (192)

Starting to hurt a bit but try to stay focused for a decent finish. Sub 19 seems out the window but I didn't figure I'd be pushing that hard today anyway.

.9 mile 3? - the race ends! the course was way short and I think I finished in 17:40 or something but like a crazy person I sprint through the finish line and finish my own personal 5K workout.

Mile 3 - 6:07 (191)

.1- :39 (192)

19:11 Unofficially and 2nd overall.

Decided to skip the awards and just finish my long run. Overall ran 12.6 @ 7:53 (160). Not a bad day. 

Holy ####balls. Nigel and Hang10 just, oh well, I guess I will stumble onto a race and run my ### off and get a PR and a second place finish. Oh, and while I am at it, finish a long run after. Not to mention Nigel Jr. kicking some butt.

And if that isn't enough, a one-legged FUBAR finishes a 70.3 and gets massaged by two fine ladies. 

:headbang: :lmao: :thumbup:

ChiefD said:
Holy ####balls. Nigel and Hang10 just, oh well, I guess I will stumble onto a race and run my ### off and get a PR and a second place finish. Oh, and while I am at it, finish a long run after. Not to mention Nigel Jr. kicking some butt.

And if that isn't enough, a one-legged FUBAR finishes a 70.3 and gets massaged by two fine ladies. 

:headbang: :lmao: :thumbup:
Yup, just another ho hum Sunday around here.   :yawn:

:P Nice job fellas!

Cellcom Half Marathon today

if i didn't have to stop for a #### at about the 8.5 point, i would not have missed my goal by 0:04 seconds :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread