What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Tips for running in light to moderate rain? Looks like we might have light T-storm for my 5k sat AM. (60% chance of rain - 0.02"/hr - Mid 70's temps at 8am - light breeze) 

I have decent NB running socks, Good lined running shorts, "performance" (not cotton) t shirt, and a patagonia ultralight running shell (I think houdini?). Is it better to run with the shell or just in shirt and get wet? Gold bond up for chafing or something? I've run in the past and got some wear chafing on feet though was from diff pair of shoes. 

Not a long run or anything but any tips are welcome. TIA. 

Tips for running in light to moderate rain? Looks like we might have light T-storm for my 5k sat AM. (60% chance of rain - 0.02"/hr - Mid 70's temps at 8am - light breeze) 

I have decent NB running socks, Good lined running shorts, "performance" (not cotton) t shirt, and a patagonia ultralight running shell (I think houdini?). Is it better to run with the shell or just in shirt and get wet? Gold bond up for chafing or something? I've run in the past and got some wear chafing on feet though was from diff pair of shoes. 

I'd skip the running shell and I'd consider band-aids on the nips.  Other than that try to stay out of the rain as much as possible pre-race and be careful on the turns.

I'd skip the running shell and I'd consider band-aids on the nips.  Other than that try to stay out of the rain as much as possible pre-race and be careful on the turns.
my nips consistently bleed in the rain if i'm wearing a looser fitting shirt. 

wear something tight that won't rub. slather your #### in Aquaphor or something similar. pray to your god.

I'm unsure anyone at this event wants to see me in anything tight. Will opt for band aids. :lol:

Thanks guys! 

If you can identify any areas of standing water beforehand, do it. Last thing you want to do early in the race is unexpectedly step in a mini-lake. Nothing slows you down faster than water logged shoes.

I like wearing a headband too. Sweat being the obvious reason, but if it gets real bad it can sop up some of the rain that would otherwise be in your eyes.

Gonna get my speedwork in this weekend. Playing in a 3 on 3 soccer tournament. One game tomorrow night and 3 games on Saturday.

Playing with some guys I played with in grade school. I am pretty sure I will be the most fit.  :lol:

pbm107 said:
[icon] said:

:goodposting:

Just get wet; it'll add to the experience!

Spot bandages work great.  I won't run a single run without them.

Buy some Body Glide and lube up the areas that may chafe...inner thighs, lower arm pit areas, and feet.  When you get wet, things chafe quickly.

ChiefD said:
Gonna get my speedwork in this weekend. Playing in a 3 on 3 soccer tournament. One game tomorrow night and 3 games on Saturday.

Playing with some guys I played with in grade school. I am pretty sure I will be the most fit.  :lol:
Nice!!!

Yeah gonna grab some body glide.... walgreens? Last time I ran in the rain I had a toe that got raw as hell quickly. Odd. Thanks again guys. :thumbup:

I've been unimpressed with body glide. I tried it on my nips and they still chafed like crazy. Much prefer the Aquaphor.

For a long run, I lather it on the nips, thighs and in between my toes. And you're welcome for that image.

This Body Guide for the thighs....is that because thighs rub together when running?  That sounds terrible and like something that would slow a runner down.

This Body Guide for the thighs....is that because thighs rub together when running?  That sounds terrible and like something that would slow a runner down.
I need it on long sweaty runs, but it's not like they're rubbing so bad you're creating enough friction to start a fire.

ChiefD said:
You could always just go shirtless and strut your action out there. 
at the last race i was in, maybe 6-7k people.. something like that... warm enough day. saw a small handful of guys going shirtless. less than 1% if i had to ballpark it.

the number of women wearing only a sports bra..... 20%?

not that i'm complaining.. just... seems weird. generally, women are more body conscious than men. but, maybe not?

So, my 10K is tomorrow.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm hoping to run about 6:10 miles.  Before taking it easy this week, I'd been running a few 4 and one 5-mile tempo averaging closer to 6:20.  The last mile of those felt hard.  Hopefully the rest will do me good.  Weather will be in the upper 60s so not too terrible.  The 10K distance has been a bad one for me.  I've only been successful at that distance once in three attempts. 

So, my 10K is tomorrow.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm hoping to run about 6:10 miles.  Before taking it easy this week, I'd been running a few 4 and one 5-mile tempo averaging closer to 6:20.  The last mile of those felt hard.  Hopefully the rest will do me good.  Weather will be in the upper 60s so not too terrible.  The 10K distance has been a bad one for me.  I've only been successful at that distance once in three attempts. 
36:59 

Everything will need to be clicking, but I think you can flirt with six flat.

Forecast was for pouring rain so went to bed drunk as hell at 3am. Woke to gf in shower at 7:10am. Rain held off? Wat? 

Jumped up and threw on gear. So dehydrated I can't even piss. Parking at 8am cross start line at 01:25 (not bib start). Rain set in. #### it. First race I've ever run start to finish. Sub 33. I'll take it. Next run sub 30. 

Forecast was for pouring rain so went to bed drunk as hell at 3am. Woke to gf in shower at 7:10am. Rain held off? Wat? 

Jumped up and threw on gear. So dehydrated I can't even piss. Parking at 8am cross start line at 01:25 (not bib start). Rain set in. #### it. First race I've ever run start to finish. Sub 33. I'll take it. Next run sub 30. 
So is (icon) the new Annyong in this thread? 

I still can't get my garmin to connect with my computer properly.  Garmin tech support has not been much help.  I finally gave in and downloaded the garmin connect app on my phone and paired it with my garmin so my runs will be going into Strava properly.  I promise I will keep up with everybody there.

Five miles this morning, best since December.  The suck index will prevent me from overtraining.  I have signed up for the Houston Marathon again since I have a legacy entry.  This is perhaps the most unrealistically optimistic act I have committed since I hit on that hot local newscaster babe in 1988 at a party.  I expect similar results.

Jumped up
and threw on gear. So dehydrated I can't even piss. Parking at 8am cross start line at 01:25 (not bib start). Rain set in. #### it. First race I've ever run start to finish. Sub 33. I'll take it. Next run sub 30. 
:excited:

Nice work @[icon] way to not be a complete vag about the rain.

Ran 10 this morning and think it may be time to bring some water with me. Was sweating my ### off. Got home and I felt wrecked. Must have been dehydrated. Took like 2 hours to feel normal.

:clap: icon! 

I've started going east on the weekends and finding good roads with a few good hills.  It's the business / engineering district in huntsville so I won't go there during the week with traffic.  There's a nice 10k loop which I stayed on for a few times around, actually forgot which road to take to get out of it (if you look at my Strava map you'll see where I cut into the middle of the loop).  I think I might have reached a new max speed of 42mph, kind of scary but I'll see if I can hit 50 sometime. 

Ran 10 this morning and think it may be time to bring some water with me. Was sweating my ### off. Got home and I felt wrecked. Must have been dehydrated. Took like 2 hours to feel normal.
I'll need to add salt soon.  Debating between just using himalayan salt in the water or buying base salt or something else.  Probably just using what I have for now but what products do you all use for electrolytes?

Not sure what "new annyong in thread" means but that guy rules. 

Dont mean to thread crash and I realize 33min 5k isn't much but reading you guys has been a driving force in getting me to love running. Appreciate that. Truly.

funny side story. GF decided not to run because of rain... Crossed finish after taking pics and somehow registers 7min mile an first in age group. Had to go correct at judging to ensure medal went to right girl. 

shower time then back to Italian festival to drink all day I guess. Ugh 

My 10K this morning was disappointing.  As I mentioned, I was hoping to run 6:10 miles but during the third mile, I could tell that was going to be a big problem.  Having a 170 HR has always been a huge danger sign for me that I'm about to fall apart.   I decided during that third mile to just focus on my heart rate and not the pace.  Splits:

6:05/150

6:09/167

6:18/169

6:21/169

6:19/169

6:37/170

1:39 for last .25 on Garmin/171

39:29 unofficially. Official results aren't in so I'm not sure where I placed yet.

Weather wasn't great but not terrible either -- 69 with a 58 dew point.  I guess a silver lining is I stuck it out with high heart rate instead of giving up.  In retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised since this run falls somewhat in line with the tempos I've been doing.  I guess I gotta do a little more and work a little harder.

I think it has something to do with staying up until 3:00 a.m. drinking the night before the race.  
This.  Annyong would stay up all night drinking and cap it off with seven chicken breasts before a race.  Then figure he should have stopped at six chicken breasts. Always hilarious.

Congrats Jux.  I can't run a 6:10 pace now in metric.

I am guessing the temperatures did you no favors.  That's a great run.

I guess I gotta do a little more and work a little harder.
Tough one, we all know in better conditions you are capable of more.  The above concerns me though, especially considering the amount of quality you have been running lately.  I'm thinking you could use a little break to recharge.

Tough one, we all know in better conditions you are capable of more.  The above concerns me though, especially considering the amount of quality you have been running lately.  I'm thinking you could use a little break to recharge.
This.

I don't think this result of not working hard enough. You have been working plenty hard. Maybe too hard. 

I'll need to add salt soon.  Debating between just using himalayan salt in the water or buying base salt or something else.  Probably just using what I have for now but what products do you all use for electrolytes?
Hammer Endurolytes.  During a couple of the 10 leg survival tris I did I was even able to "run away" cramping after taking these.  And, like most Hammer products, they are very easy on the stomach.  I could pop a couple at any point during a long race with no ill effects.  

I think it has something to do with staying up until 3:00 a.m. drinking the night before the race.  
In my defense, forecast was 90% thunderstorm all morning. Said "#### it" at 7pm and went into high gear at the festival. Then 56min before start woke up to forecast that called for go. Oh well... :lol:

thanks again guys. Gravy (tomato sauce) judging now (our guy has finished 0.2pts from first at world food championships in vegas... Good stuff) 

Not sure what "new annyong in thread" means but that guy rules. 

Dont mean to thread crash and I realize 33min 5k isn't much but reading you guys has been a driving force in getting me to love running. Appreciate that. Truly.

funny side story. GF decided not to run because of rain... Crossed finish after taking pics and somehow registers 7min mile an first in age group. Had to go correct at judging to ensure medal went to right girl. 

shower time then back to Italian festival to drink all day I guess. Ugh 
Nice icon! You arent by chance in KC are you? I was at an Italian festival for my soccer tournament today.

And nice job @Juxtatarot. Well done. 

Good Lord, my legs feel like I just ran a half marathon. 3 more games today, and 3 more against a bunch of young'uns.  :lol:

We held our own for a bunch of old guys, and even inflicted a little bit of physical pain on those boys old school style. They did not appreciate that one bit.

Was planning on running in the morning, but my legs are really sore. Gonna see how I feel.

I guess I gotta do a little more and work a little harder.
Yeah man, be careful; you can't play this game with brute force.  You're already working too hard with the every other day workouts.  Going even harder is just asking to get hurt, IMO.  I'd consider this race a warning sign from your body that it's time for some focused recovery.  

Tailwind is where it's at. :thumbup:  

you run 10 without water?!  HFS. 

you run 10 without water?!  HFS. 
Sheeyatt...when the weather is good, I run a lot further than that sans water. Probably not the smartest thing but I didn't bring much water with me when trained for my marathon last summer either. I'd bring an 8oz water bottle on long runs (17-22 miles), drink it, fill it at water fountain about halfway and that would be enough to make it back home. In the end though I think it worked out, as I didn't really need much water during my marathon. Ran through water stops and only needed a cup at a time. 

Sheeyatt...when the weather is good, I run a lot further than that sans water. Probably not the smartest thing but I didn't bring much water with me when trained for my marathon last summer either. I'd bring an 8oz water bottle on long runs (17-22 miles), drink it, fill it at water fountain about halfway and that would be enough to make it back home. In the end though I think it worked out, as I didn't really need much water during my marathon. Ran through water stops and only needed a cup at a time. 
went 9.4 this morning without water, after a cup of coffee, a cup of water and a salted avocado.  ~140SI and light rain, MAF/Z2   

When it gets above 150SI I'll bring water and electrolytes. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread