What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Things got a little dicey at the very end of my 15 yesterday, but I went without water. I try to plot out my long runs so I am always within a mile of water once I get beyond 10, especially if the suck is north of 140. It wasn't yesterday though. I think I am getting a hand held for Father's Day, but I really try to only take chews with me on anything over 10. 

Things got a little dicey at the very end of my 15 yesterday, but I went without water. I try to plot out my long runs so I am always within a mile of water once I get beyond 10, especially if the suck is north of 140. It wasn't yesterday though. I think I am getting a hand held for Father's Day, but I really try to only take chews with me on anything over 10. 
Chews without water?  I guess it could work but if I eat anything or take a gel I want some water to wash it down. 

Chews without water?  I guess it could work but if I eat anything or take a gel I want some water to wash it down. 
Honey stingers are the ones I've found in which I don't need water, so Ive stuck with them. Certainly easier with water, but it isn't mandatory like I've found with others.

Honey stingers are the ones I've found in which I don't need water, so Ive stuck with them. Certainly easier with water, but it isn't mandatory like I've found with others.
Thats what I use as well. But I do carry water for anything over 7 miles or so. And in the summer's he with the SI we have, it's almost mandatory.

ChiefD said:
Good Lord, my legs feel like I just ran a half marathon. 3 more games today, and 3 more against a bunch of young'uns.  :lol:

We held our own for a bunch of old guys, and even inflicted a little bit of physical pain on those boys old school style. They did not appreciate that one bit.

Was planning on running in the morning, but my legs are really sore. Gonna see how I feel.
I lied. My legs feel like I ran a marathon. Rough day yesterday - did not get out.

Still pretty dang sore today, but I WILL run tonight. It will be slow, but damn, I'm old.  :lol:

Good for the legs though - clearly I need cross training. 

I don't know exactly what it is but my last couple of pool days have been drudgery.  Might be that I'm getting back into running, might be just one of those things we work through.  But wow, my times have been a bit slower (about 3-5 seconds slower per hundred, roughly equivalent to 30 seconds slower per mile for runners) than a few weeks ago. 

Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon -

Well that sucked. The only positive thing to say about this race was that I finished and it's a great course.

By mile four I knew I was screwed. My gut was a mess from eating breakfast (I normally run on a near empty stomach) and humidity was pegged at 100% with a downpour at mile 10. Easily my worst time, much worse than any of my expectations, and much worse than I thought my fitness would get me. Yuck. Less said the better.

On to the next one. Try to run at least one more this year and then maybe try my hand at 5Ks/10Ks over the winter.

Final time: 2:00:05

Well that sucked. The only positive thing to say about this race was that I finished and it's a great course.

By mile four I knew I was screwed. My gut was a mess from eating breakfast (I normally run on a near empty stomach) and humidity was pegged at 100% with a downpour at mile 10. Easily my worst time, much worse than any of my expectations, and much worse than I thought my fitness would get me. Yuck. Less said the better.

On to the next one. Try to run at least one more this year and then maybe try my hand at 5Ks/10Ks over the winter.

Way to gut it out and finish.  :thumbup:

I can relate - I've had several of these over the last 4 years. Sometimes there are just bad days. And you learned something - don't eat something when it is outside your norm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Legitimately disappointed in myself.  I had a first in a looooong time weekend at home without my wife or kids, who took a weekend trip with our niece for a quick getaway.  Free reign all weekend?  Free reign!!  In addition to getting some projects done around the house, I was pumped about being able to get out on a long run or two without that feeling of guilt being away from the family for 3-4+ hours. 

I had planned a ~4 hour run on Saturday, with another 1-2 hours on Sunday.  Well the weather ended up flipping those days around for me, so I went for 1.5 hours on Saturday and planned a 4 hour run at a local park/ski hills first thing Sunday morning.  Got to the trail at 7am and ran with a friend for an hour before he departed, then I was off on my own.  An hour and a half later, I was back around within a mile of where I parked and had the choice of heading to my truck or looping back out for another 1.5 hours.  And you know what I did?  I quit.  I ####### quit.  Not a single obligation at home or reason why I couldn't spend more time out training and I just flat bailed.  Yep, that's the mental makeup I need to finish my first 100 in three months. :angry: So frustrated and disappointed with myself.

Pretty sure we've all done this before.  Lord knows I have.  Don't do anything differently raceday than you do on a normal day  :yes:

Way to show off that grit though.  :thumbup:

Legitimately disappointed in myself.  I had a first in a looooong time weekend at home without my wife or kids, who took a weekend trip with our niece for a quick getaway.  Free reign all weekend?  Free reign!!  In addition to getting some projects done around the house, I was pumped about being able to get out on a long run or two without that feeling of guilt being away from the family for 3-4+ hours. 

I had planned a ~4 hour run on Saturday, with another 1-2 hours on Sunday.  Well the weather ended up flipping those days around for me, so I went for 1.5 hours on Saturday and planned a 4 hour run at a local park/ski hills first thing Sunday morning.  Got to the trail at 7am and ran with a friend for an hour before he departed, then I was off on my own.  An hour and a half later, I was back around within a mile of where I parked and had the choice of heading to my truck or looping back out for another 1.5 hours.  And you know what I did?  I quit.  I ####### quit.  Not a single obligation at home or reason why I couldn't spend more time out training and I just flat bailed.  Yep, that's the mental makeup I need to finish my first 100 in three months. :angry: So frustrated and disappointed with myself.
So I'm going with your math:

Original Plan: 5-6 hours this weekend.

Actual: 4 hours.

You did 4 hours of training this weekend and got a mental break from family obligations. Nice work.  :thumbup:

Pretty sure we've all done this before.  Lord knows I have.  Don't do anything differently raceday than you do on a normal day  :yes:

Way to show off that grit though.  :thumbup:
Yeah, I hope that my own stupidity on fueling was the main culprit. At least that is easily fixed. I broke the cardinal rule. Thinking I needed the fuel I ate a decent meal in the morning instead of just chomping down a granola bar or something. 

The other one was the heat/humidity. I run so early most days that it's pretty cool and pleasant out. This race has a relatively late start time due to the train schedule so it was getting pretty warm by the time we started.

Based on how the last 3 weeks have gone, I think I am going to roll with pfitz 70.  I'll do my own thing whichever week I decide to 5K race, but that being during the endurance cycle I don't think it will have much of an impact in the big picture.  Taking a step back and looking at the whole thing, the two items I will play around with some on the schedule are my second strength training day (one doesn't do anything - need two) and find ways to fit some of these 1 hour workouts into 50 mins.  I can get away with an hour 10 minute lunch (including shower), but don't really feel right pushing it beyond that.  Figure I can make up the time w/an extra mile on morning MLR's.  

The Wed 8/24-Sun 9/18 window is going to be real demanding (bachelor party in New Orleans, test race, bachelor party in Vegas, then wedding all while my wife goes back to teaching and those morning runs need to begin in the 4's), but I think I was able to juggle the schedule well enough so I can hit all the high points without risking over-training while understanding which days I simply will not complete the required workout.  Thankfully there is nothing on the social calendar between 9/18 and marathon day in October, so I have some time to cleanse my body of all the bad things I'll do to it over that stretch.

Pretty proud of my run today. Legs are still pretty trashed, and the suck index was 152. Did 4.1 miles at a pace of 10:26, HR at 155.

i know that may not sound great to you guys, but in similar conditions last year I was a full :45 to 1:00 slower at that same HR. And today was on real sore and dead legs.

For those who are just starting HR training, trust me - it works. Progress, slowly but surely.

Pretty proud of my run today. Legs are still pretty trashed, and the suck index was 152. Did 4.1 miles at a pace of 10:26, HR at 155.

i know that may not sound great to you guys, but in similar conditions last year I was a full :45 to 1:00 slower at that same HR. And today was on real sore and dead legs.

For those who are just starting HR training, trust me - it works. Progress, slowly but surely.
Good stuff!

ChiefD said:

Nice! That's very close to where my pace/HR range is at that general distance range. 

As a n00b, I was surprised (shouldn't have been) at the correlation between my heart rate and how my body felt.. running in the 140s is a breeze... Running in the 150s and talking is tough.... running in the 160s and I'm working hard for air and struggling more. I've learned to adjust my pace based on a mix of the data and how I feel... and working on better reconciling the two.  My Wahoo TickrX has become a pretty critical tool as I try to learn more about running and how my body responds. :thumbup:  

I've got a device stuck to my chest collecting round the clock heart data, need to keep it on until it falls off, 10 days minimum two weeks ideal. Got it yesterday morning after my run, part of my post-ablation follow up plan, also did it 3 months ago during marathon training and it only made it six days. Sweating doesn't help. So I need to go easy for a bit to make it last and keep the docs happy. Kind of sucks as I'm grumpy when I don't run but this is the last step to me being free and clear and completely off meds. 

Agree with ChiefD, still a good weekend.  So don't beat yourself up too much.  We've all been there.

That being said, time on feet is king when you're prepping for a 100M.  If you don't feel like running for whatever reason, just keep moving.  You had time goals instead of mileage, which makes that easier.  So just keep ####### moving.  If the run sucks then hike, you're still getting specific training for your race, especially if it's a hilly trail.  Remember how you felt when you typed this, and multiply that by 10000 if you DNF your race.  The fear of that feeling is what keeps me moving in training when I feel like bailing.

my two oldest sons swim in their first meet tonight.  They couldn't do last week while others did, so the others have times posted.  Some of those times for 13-14 yo are better than I can do now, or could do most of HS (as a Senior I was slightly faster but not much).  Should be fun and as this is their first summer on the swim team, it's all about learning and having a good time working hard with friends.  But the last meet went 4 hours, started at 6 and ended around 10.  :shock:    That's past my bedtime!

my two oldest sons swim in their first meet tonight.  They couldn't do last week while others did, so the others have times posted.  Some of those times for 13-14 yo are better than I can do now, or could do most of HS (as a Senior I was slightly faster but not much).  Should be fun and as this is their first summer on the swim team, it's all about learning and having a good time working hard with friends.  But the last meet went 4 hours, started at 6 and ended around 10.  :shock:    That's past my bedtime!
My boys learned a lot yesterday as did I.

First, the other team is a lot better.  Faster, more team cohesion, had swimmers participate in 4 events each while ours did 2 or 3. It wasn't that our team is bigger, we didn't have anyone in quite a few events.  Their coaches are either in college or young adults with the charisma the kids love.  

Second, my boys don't want to wear the tight suits but they need to.  I think my 13yo understands better now and is willing to wear it but they're reluctant "it will squeeze my junk! " :wall:  

We're just getting started and they did okay, but my 11yo got switched from breaststroke to butterfly and he doesn't get the stroke.  It's tough for sure, I struggle to do anything more than 50. He'll learn.  

Our goal for them was to have a positive experience, so far they are mostly enjoying it. 

Finally after weeks of letting my grade 2 calf strain heal I was finally able to do a little running the other night.  Going to do a little more through the weekend and have a 5k on the 18th.  Gonna take it easy for that one to make sure I don't jack myself up again.

Ran an easy four yesterday at lunch but sweat my ### off and the device on my chest wast coming loose. So I went to CVS and got some waterproof tape and taped the hell out of it. Shaved my chest first to make sure I got a good stick. Feeling like it would hold I went out for 8 with 4 @ tempo (6:57, 7:37 overall) this morning and felt great. Had to re-rig the thing afterwards but worth the trouble, great start to my day. Easy run tomorrow then I'll sqeeze something in this weekend while on Long Island for my son's lax tourney to salvage a decent week. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Finally after weeks of letting my grade 2 calf strain heal I was finally able to do a little running the other night.  Going to do a little more through the weekend and have a 5k on the 18th.  Gonna take it easy for that one to make sure I don't jack myself up again.
Missed this.. how did you strain the calf? That sucks. :(

Went out last night for the first time since the 5k Sat. Was pressed for time so it was a short run. Suck index of 162, combined with deciding to burst a bit mid-run had me sucking air a bit toward the end, but felt great. It's shocking to me how much more "zen" I am in the day or so after a run.. and how stressed/anxious I get when I go several days without running. So strange. 

Bentley shot me a link to an article about Dean Karnazes that really hit home. I'm not superhuman, however, so I'm going to settle for running at least a mile every day for the next week. It's not much for you guys but that's a lot for me, cumulatively. Starting with that, and and seeing where it takes me. 

Officially down 20lbs as of this morning. Halfway there. 

Went out last night for the first time since the 5k Sat. Was pressed for time so it was a short run. Suck index of 162, combined with deciding to burst a bit mid-run had me sucking air a bit toward the end, but felt great. It's shocking to me how much more "zen" I am in the day or so after a run.. and how stressed/anxious I get when I go several days without running. So strange. 

Bentley shot me a link to an article about Dean Karnazes that really hit home. I'm not superhuman, however, so I'm going to settle for running at least a mile every day for the next week. It's not much for you guys but that's a lot for me, cumulatively. Starting with that, and and seeing where it takes me. 

Good work!  Be careful in 162 SI, that's dangerous stuff.  Congrats on the -20!

On the bolded - I'm a different person when I get my run in.  That outlet for me is so huge.  On a day where I have a good workout, I'm especially happy and more motivated.  Love it.

On the bolded - I'm a different person when I get my run in.  That outlet for me is so huge.  On a day where I have a good workout, I'm especially happy and more motivated.  Love it.
:goodposting:

schedule lately has conspired against me running my normal time/routine. been getting them in but on odd days at odd times. hadn't really thought much about it, was just happy to be able to get in what i could when possible.  but my mood has sucked for the last few weeks.  this week i got back to running on schedule and things are falling back in to place. my mood has much improved :thumbup:

Ran an easy four yesterday at lunch but sweat my ### off and the device on my chest wast coming loose. So I went to CVS and got some waterproof tape and taped the hell out of it. Shaved my chest first to make sure I got a good stick. Feeling like it would hold I went out for 8 with 4 @ tempo (6:57, 7:37 overall) this morning and felt great. Had to re-rig the thing afterwards but worth the trouble, great start to my day. Easy run tomorrow then I'll sqeeze something in this weekend while on Long Island for my son's lax tourney to salvage a decent week. 
:thumbup: Today must be tempo day.  Perfect weather for one! 

Starting to feel really good, cardio wise.  My legs aren't quite there yet, but my cardio was fantastic.  I did a 9/5 tempo @ 6:34/171 today.  The 91 SI sure did the trick.

It's funny how one's approach can change over time.  I used to be unwilling to run before noon and preferred to run in the evening, sometimes at night.  Now?  Outside of my sporadic small group trail run I hate it.  I still prefer to run late morning/lunch, but if that's not an option I'm trending more and more towards morning.  I had an evening run scheduled Tuesday because my wife was going to take the early morning slot and my schedule was full until 6 pm, but when the baby kept her up all night and she decided a 6:__ am run was not in the cards I bolted out of bed, threw on all of my stuff, and got out the door.  It was a great day.  3 months ago, let alone 3 years ago, I'd grind my teeth at the thought of running so early though.

It could just be the newness, so I'll see if it is sustainable.  I'm not a morning person, but forcing myself to run a few morning's per week has helped change that recently.

• Smile
It's funny how one's approach can change over time.  I used to be unwilling to run before noon and preferred to run in the evening, sometimes at night.  Now?  Outside of my sporadic small group trail run I hate it.  I still prefer to run late morning/lunch, but if that's not an option I'm trending more and more towards morning.  I had an evening run scheduled Tuesday because my wife was going to take the early morning slot and my schedule was full until 6 pm, but when the baby kept her up all night and she decided a 6:__ am run was not in the cards I bolted out of bed, threw on all of my stuff, and got out the door.  It was a great day.  3 months ago, let alone 3 years ago, I'd grind my teeth at the thought of running so early though.

It could just be the newness, so I'll see if it is sustainable.  I'm not a morning person, but forcing myself to run a few morning's per week has helped change that recently.
Love it.  Especially this part.

Great job on the weight loss!  I need to drop 20 myself.

What was the Karnazes story?  His first book is what introduced me to ultras, and set me on the path I've been on since.  The first time I saw him was at a race expo back in '09, and I had my then 6 year old daughter in tow.  Dean is telling stories of eating a whole pizza while running and running all night from San Francisco to meet his family up in wine country for breakfast, and my little girl turns to me and says, "Daddy, is he telling the truth?".  

He's a great part of the local running community here and I've had the chance to meet him a few times, nice guy.

:kicksrock:   local 5k and 10k this weekend.  I'm not running because I know I'll want to push it and pushing it might reinjure the leg.  I want to run it, so the internal debate of "I'll run it but not race it" coupled with my plan of doing MAF throughout the summer with the exception of two tris vs. knowing that I'd want to push it.

:thumbup: Today must be tempo day.  Perfect weather for one! 

Starting to feel really good, cardio wise.  My legs aren't quite there yet, but my cardio was fantastic.  I did a 9/5 tempo @ 6:34/171 today.  The 91 SI sure did the trick.
You one-upping mother ####er.  :hot:

• Smile
:kicksrock:   local 5k and 10k this weekend.  I'm not running because I know I'll want to push it and pushing it might reinjure the leg.  I want to run it, so the internal debate of "I'll run it but not race it" coupled with my plan of doing MAF throughout the summer with the exception of two tris vs. knowing that I'd want to push it.
Check out your SI.  That should be enough to talk you out of it  :yes:  It's going to be bad enough up here, let alone in Alabama.  I was really hoping to 5K next Saturday, but I'm beginning to come to terms with settling on a July 2nd race, no matter the conditions.  I don't think I should wait any longer than that.

Check out your SI.  That should be enough to talk you out of it  :yes:  It's going to be bad enough up here, let alone in Alabama.  I was really hoping to 5K next Saturday, but I'm beginning to come to terms with settling on a July 2nd race, no matter the conditions.  I don't think I should wait any longer than that.
only 141.  By July it will probably be around 150+ at the start of any race (all the more reason I like shorter tris throughout the summer)

only 141.  By July it will probably be around 150+ at the start of any race (all the more reason I like shorter tris throughout the summer)
Huh...you're actually looking at something better than us then.  We're projected for 75 and 86% humidity at 8 am.  No...thanks!  I hope the Cavs don't keep me up too late Friday, so I can get my 14 MLR done as early as possible but I'm not optimistic.

Missed this.. how did you strain the calf? That sucks. :(
Believe it or not I was crossing the street in downtown Tampa and lifted off my left leg to move faster and avoid getting hit by a car and then felt it.  I ran 4 days later in a 5k and made it worse.  I literally limped across the finish line. It was very sad.  

Thanks! Yeah I noticed REALLY quickly how my HR climbed into 160s/170s much faster in the 160 SI range. Leaning toward some morning runs now... 

my mood has sucked for the last few weeks.  this week i got back to running on schedule and things are falling back in to place. my mood has much improved 
Awesome to see that i'm not the only one... means it's a real thing and sustainable. I like that. :thumbup:

Funny you mention this. I am NOT a morning person. Lately I've had a lot on my mind and have been waking between 5am and 6am and annoyingly haven't been able to go back to sleep. A few weeks back, I said #### it, and went out. Early morning runs are a different animal. So peaceful. Given summer coming and its associated 160+ suck indexes... I may follow your lead and start running more in the AM before work. :thumbup:

Great job on the weight loss!  I need to drop 20 myself.

What was the Karnazes story?  His first book is what introduced me to ultras, and set me on the path I've been on since.  The first time I saw him was at a race expo back in '09, and I had my then 6 year old daughter in tow.  Dean is telling stories of eating a whole pizza while running and running all night from San Francisco to meet his family up in wine country for breakfast, and my little girl turns to me and says, "Daddy, is he telling the truth?".  

He's a great part of the local running community here and I've had the chance to meet him a few times, nice guy.
The Perfect Human - Wired Magazine
Great read. What really resonated with me was his awakening from his empty/partying/boozehound existence. Not that I would consider my existence empty, but my social calendar better fits a 30yo than a 40yo. It's been something I've been thinking about. When coupled with my fitness levels being at an all time low, blood pressure getting dangerously high...etc.

One day a few months ago I was laying on the couch watching a movie with the GF and had a lot on my mind (deaths in family, some life changes, etc) and I just got up, laced up, threw headphones in and took off. It was cathartic and that day really set the tone for me falling in love with running. I guess this morning's reading of Karnazes' "just get off the couch / out of the bar and change your life" experience resonated.  

Anyway... blah blah blah... rambling. Point is: Cool read about an amazing dude. 

:goodposting:

schedule lately has conspired against me running my normal time/routine. been getting them in but on odd days at odd times. hadn't really thought much about it, was just happy to be able to get in what i could when possible.  but my mood has sucked for the last few weeks.  this week i got back to running on schedule and things are falling back in to place. my mood has much improved :thumbup:
@mr. furley - You still living in the Milwaukee area?  We're in Pewaukee.  We need to get together for a run and a beer sometime soon!

@mr. furley - You still living in the Milwaukee area?  We're in Pewaukee.  We need to get together for a run and a beer sometime soon!
been in Green Bay for 12 years!

but i work out of the Milwaukee office periodically. i'll take you up on the meet/run/beer.. just keeping in mind that we'll meet, you'll run much farther and faster than me and i'll be buying you the beer(s).

Wow... So pre-work morning runs may be a thing for me now. Suck index 125 felt downright cool compared to the 146 I ran in at 7:30 last night or the 165 at 5:30 the night before. Such a huge difference. 

PR'd every distance on strava and got my first 9:00mi. Slow as hell for many of you but that's :40 improvement on legs that just went 11 hours earlier. 

mac32, you rock :thumbup:

Wow... So pre-work morning runs may be a thing for me now. Suck index 125 felt downright cool compared to the 146 I ran in at 7:30 last night or the 165 at 5:30 the night before. Such a huge difference. 

PR'd every distance on strava and got my first 9:00mi. Slow as hell for many of you but that's :40 improvement on legs that just went 11 hours earlier. 

Welcome to the dark side. :thumbup:  

Best way to start your day!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA

Nice! That's very close to where my pace/HR range is at that general distance range. 

As a n00b, I was surprised (shouldn't have been) at the correlation between my heart rate and how my body felt.. running in the 140s is a breeze... Running in the 150s and talking is tough.... running in the 160s and I'm working hard for air and struggling more. I've learned to adjust my pace based on a mix of the data and how I feel... and working on better reconciling the two.  My Wahoo TickrX has become a pretty critical tool as I try to learn more about running and how my body responds. :thumbup:  

This is pretty much where I am now. I have 9 miles scheduled for Saturday and I am going to try to keep the HR in the 140's. I have been trying to run "comfortably" during the week. HR seems to be in the 155 range when I do this. I always feel like that was to hard for a long run. I could talk in the 150's but it would not be comfortable.

I am currently finishing up week 4 of the Hal Higdon marathon novice training plan. I am pretty happy that I have stuck to it. Due to work running during day/night is pretty much off the table. I have been doing my runs at 4:15 in the morning. It has been a struggle but I have been successful so far.

Users who are viewing this thread