What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Good luck @JShare87!  How are you feeling?  Is the race tomorrow or Sunday?  Runner tracking?

Anyone else racing this weekend?
Thanks! The race is Sunday at 6 am. The weather is going to be 50 degrees at the start and only reach the mid 60s by the end. The humidity is also supposed to be surprisingly low for this time of year. So, couldn’t ask for better weather. My body feels amazing. The Sciatica pain is still there but very mild on my run this morning. All in all, zero excuses. The only thing I struggle with is the mental aspect. How do I make this run seem meaningless in my mind? Or how do I control the energy and turn it into a positive? The anxiety is already starting to kick in, and my HR was elevated on my run this morning because of it. Gotta figure out how to settle myself down before races, it’s becoming a pretty big issue. This is what they have on their website for run tracking:  https://racejoy.com/widget_buyout.html The race is called the Treasure Coast Marathon. I’ll post my bib number when I get it tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I make this run seem meaningless in my mind? Or how do I control the energy and turn it into a positive? The anxiety is already starting to kick in, and my HR was elevated on my run this morning because of it. Gotta figure out how to settle myself down before races, it’s becoming a pretty big issue. 
I don't have much advice.  Although I also get nervous before races I usually settle down once the race starts.  

Maybe just keep thinking of your 22 miler two weeks ago.  You'll be better rested this time and the weather will be cooler.  I think you'll be fine.

Thanks! The race is Sunday at 6 am. The weather is going to be 50 degrees at the start and only reach the mid 60s by the end. The humidity is also supposed to be surprisingly low for this time of year. So, couldn’t ask for better weather. My body feels amazing. The Sciatica pain is still there but very mild on my run this morning. All in all, zero excuses. The only thing I struggle with is the mental aspect. How do I make this run seem meaningless in my mind? Or how do I control the energy and turn it into a positive? The anxiety is already starting to kick in, and my HR was elevated on my run this morning because of it. Gotta figure out how to settle myself down before races, it’s becoming a pretty big issue. This is what they have on their website for run tracking:  https://racejoy.com/widget_buyout.html The race is called the Treasure Coast Marathon. I’ll post my bib number when I get it tomorrow.
Pre-race (now until the race): My mentality to address the nerves is to focusing on "hitting my marks."  E.g., finish the workday (check), get in a little shake-out run on Sat (check), have my go-to pre-race dinner(check).  Then race morning, have a more detailed sequence of "check" points ...bit of breakfast, morning poop, get to the site, get through a warm-up, get in the shoot.  Just click 'em off as you go.  Each step moves you closer to the goal of starting the race.

Race: You could try focusing on runners around you ...find someone with a similar pace and stride, and shadow run behind them ...in effect, let them do the work.  Or relax by interacting with the volunteers; distract yourself by counting flags or something.  Then when it's time to race ...race hard and bring 'er home.

Celebrate the fact that you're there accomplishing something amazing!

Pre-race (now until the race): My mentality to address the nerves is to focusing on "hitting my marks."  E.g., finish the workday (check), get in a little shake-out run on Sat (check), have my go-to pre-race dinner(check).  Then race morning, have a more detailed sequence of "check" points ...bit of breakfast, morning poop, get to the site, get through a warm-up, get in the shoot.  Just click 'em off as you go.  Each step moves you closer to the goal of starting the race.

Race: You could try focusing on runners around you ...find someone with a similar pace and stride, and shadow run behind them ...in effect, let them do the work.  Or relax by interacting with the volunteers; distract yourself by counting flags or something.  Then when it's time to race ...race hard and bring 'er home.

I appreciate it.

Wise in the ways of the force, he is.

This.

Or some cocaine.

Good luck tomorrow! 
You too.  I drove up it on the way over today.  4% up and 4% down for about 1.5 miles on each side.  It’s a cool bridge, but it’s gonna be windy as hell tomorrow just like today.  At least it will be cooler than last weekend.   :thumbup:

You too.  I drove up it on the way over today.  4% up and 4% down for about 1.5 miles on each side.  It’s a cool bridge, but it’s gonna be windy as hell tomorrow just like today.  At least it will be cooler than last weekend.   :thumbup:
Going to be windy here too. 

This is crazy. When it is less than 60 here, I legitimately put on a long sleeve and gloves. All of my runs are early in the morning, and I prefer to run without a shirt, so maybe that’s why I get so cold. As you said though, to each their own. 
Hope you got those race gloves cleaned for tomorrow's race.  ;)

Also, with just a little planning, we could have run a 5k here in South Beach. Sure enough as we were running yesterday, they were setting up for a race scheduled for this morning (HM and 5k) called the 305. 

Unfortunately, now can't even really go down there to run/hang out as traffic will be insane with closures.  We almost did a late sign up and packet pick up, though :)

Anyway, go get em @Osaurus and @JShare87!

Since I'm procrastinating doing my taxes, I'll provide a belated February month-end report.

I ended the month at 274 miles.  That's less than I did in February 2017 but still a satisfactory amount.  My fitness seems to be coming around OK.  I'm particularly pleased with my endurance.  I haven't bonked on a run since very early in this training cycle and have completed 2 20-milers and a 23-miler with gas left in the tank.  I think I usually bonk more frequently on my long runs.  I'm not sure why I've been better.  I've been bringing Bloks each long run but those are less than 200 calories.

I don't think my stamina and speed have progressed as well as my endurance although surely due to lack of specific focus on my end.  I have been getting in weekly tempos more recently but practically zero speed work.  My tune-up races are starting (5K next weekend and a half marathon the following week) and I have little idea what paces I should attempt.  

My heel is still pretty much a mess.  I finished 8 weeks of physical therapy last week.  There seemed to be some improvement after the first 4 weeks but progress has stalled in regard to the heel pain.  It did provide other benefits.  I'm certainly looser in my calves and my balance has improved.  But the heel pain can be quite bad at times.  I can still run on it for now.  It's usually only bad for the first mile or two.  After that it just more of a nagging thing.  It's certainly worse the more I run and when I increase intensity.  I'm sure I would be training harder if I were pain-free but it is what it is.

I saw the doctor again last Friday.  I'm stopping physical therapy but will still do at-home stretches and exercises.  My plan is just to power through the rest of this training cycle no matter what.  After the marathon, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to decide to have the bone growth removed.  That will put me in a boot for a while and require a lot of recovery time afterwards.  My plan, then, is to make my comeback for Boston '19.

Finished around 8:15 or so.  Logistics for this race were not so good.  It is the inaugural race after all.  They’ll do better next year.  I’ll report later, but basically I took it easy and chilled with a cute pacer for the last 3 miles or so.  Leg feels good and I think I dislike Brooks Levitates.  Going back to Glycerins 100% of the time.

5.6 miles this morning. Doesn't seem like much to most, but longest I've done in a couple of years.  Leg has been doing pretty good the last couple of weeks as I've been bumping up the mileage and I don't have any residual pain in the posterior lateral gastroc even when rolling post run. Still getting some aches tenderness in the hamstring just north of the typical pain point, but it's to a much lesser degree as historic.   Good progress.  I still think I'll ultimately be on limited mileage due to right leg, but for now it's some good news. 

Average cadence for today was 174 which is closer to where I want to be.  I did metronome at 175 for the first mile and then tried to mirror that for most of the run. 

Looks like my streak of 20 days is coming to an end. We are set to fly back home tonight, were going to go for a run later this morning but my wife bent over to stretch and suddenly there was this REALLY loud pop and she just froze and couldn't move.

She's actually better now but have spent the last couple hours trying to stretch her out and no way she's running. And I can't just go out on my own here and leave her in the room, especially needing to check out soon. 

Ugh.... Guess I'll have to make it up tomorrow.

3:21:54 I’m so proud of myself. You guys are awesome! I can’t walk. I’ll report back later.
Awesome!  Can't wait to read the details.

@gianmarco , so what popped?  Calf?  Back?  

@Juxtatarot , bummer to hear about the continued pain.  I'll repeat what I've experienced ...it took over a year, but my body acclimated to the bone spur and it isn't an issue.  I didn't think twice about doing 10 miles Friday then 14 on Saturday.  I had done some therapy, but ultimately, it came down to the body adapting ...the long time frame needed for ligaments/tendons or whatever (unlike faster healing muscles or bones) to adjust.  I hate to hear about your limitation!!

Awesome!  Can't wait to read the details.

@gianmarco , so what popped?  Calf?  Back?  

@Juxtatarot , bummer to hear about the continued pain.  I'll repeat what I've experienced ...it took over a year, but my body acclimated to the bone spur and it isn't an issue.  I didn't think twice about doing 10 miles Friday then 14 on Saturday.  I had done some therapy, but ultimately, it came down to the body adapting ...the long time frame needed for ligaments/tendons or whatever (unlike faster healing muscles or bones) to adjust.  I hate to hear about your limitation!!
Her back. It was really strange. She immediately froze thinking it might be a disk, but it seems it was all muscular. Still not sure what the sound was but it's amazing how loud it was. I thought she hit something or dropped something.

She's still stiff and sore but definitely moving better. 

2018 Treasure Coast Marathon 

Not sure where to start with this one. I truly feel I learned so much from my last marathon and vowed not to let the marathon win again. Going in, I had no real goal and didn’t really think about this run as a race. I just wanted to complete the 26.2 without stopping and finish strong. Considering the 8 week training program and issues with my back, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. However, since January 1st, I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my life to accomplish this goal. I don’t think I missed a single day of the gym since the 1st, on top of all the running throughout. My weight in Seattle last July was 155 at the start. Today, I was 165 but felt it was a completely different body. 

On to the race.... 

It was tough to not let the marathon distract me the entire week. I was physically at work, but I’d be lying if I said thoughts of the marathon didn’t consume me the entire week. Anxiety started to kick in around Friday. When I say anxiety, my breathing changes and I get tightness in my chest. Still not sure why this happens, gotta figure out a way to turn the thoughts and energy into something positive on race day. I had my socks picked out about 5 days in advance (fairly thick, quarter socks), they were grey. Only one bag of rice Saturday night. I wanted more, but remembered Gruced laughing at me and saying something like “where you gonna get your protein bro? Good luck with that.” It seemed like a minimum 2 bagger kinda race, but I resisted. 

I slept pretty well and woke up at 4 am. I had 2 bathroom sessions and did my normal routine (this includes holding the cobra yoga pose for minutes on end to try and loosen that nerve). Left the house around 5:15 and arrived at the race site around 5:40. I waited in line to use the restroom for about 17 minutes. 5:57 rolls around as I stumble out of the porta-potty. Race starts in 3 minutes and the corral is jam-packed! I squeeze in behind the 3:30 pacer without a warm-up. I turn some music on, adjust my gloves (Brony) and waited for the start.

Gun goes off and the heart rate is somewhat elevated. I kept saying, just ease into this race and don’t do anything stupid. I listened to some music for the first 4 miles, and I just couldn’t find a groove. I switched over to a podcast and it had a nice calming effect on me. I wasn’t really concerned with my paces at this point, only my heart rate. I tried to keep it around or under 155. It was really windy, and I hit the first bridge around mile 11. 3 bros and a lady all running as a team, passed me on the bridge. I decided to take it a bit easy and settle in behind them. They built a wall that blocked the wind. 

I positioned my wife and dad at the halfway point. I had a mixture of tailwind and salt tabs mixed in a water bottle that they delivered to me. Around mile 15 the caffeinated tailwind kicked in and I went into the zone. I was following that group but decided to break away and get after it. I jumped the sidewalk and hit the street. This was a long 3-4 mile straightaway. I don’t know why, but I love straightaways and live running on the white painted lines. There is something therapeutic about it. I find a mark on the horizon, and I get this laser-like focus. 

When I got to mile 18, I hit a tiny wall. My heart rate was high, I was going pretty slow, and my legs were dying. I said to myself, not already! I changed my mentality rather quickly and caught up with a guy that was running at a good clip. We ran together all the way up to mile 22. If you remember my last marathon write-up, mile 22 was my breaking point. Not today! I used that experience and left my running mate. At this point, I knew I had the heart to finish this thing strong. I said to myself out loud a few times, “you’re a bad mutha*****.” Not sure where that saying came from but I said it a few times. There was only one thing that stood in my way, the last of the 4 bridges we had to run with a heavy wind. I finished the bridge somewhat strong and knew I was home-free. 

I had 2 songs that I was saving for mile marker 25. Once I hit mile marker 25, I put the music as high as I could, with a smile from ear to ear and started to jam. A numbness came over my entire body, and I literally started singing out loud. It was the best feeling I’ve ever had during a run. Maybe even one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. It was such a high and euphoria, I almost got emotional. I was picking people off left and right, and they probably thought I was crazy, because I was singing, smiling, and almost dancing to the music. 

I saw the finish line in the distance and it hit me. I veered out into the middle of the road and gave it all I had. The course went a bit long, but I didn’t care. 100 yards from the line, I spotted my family, friends, and my wife. I crossed the line with a huge smile on my face and dove into my wife’s arms for a huge hug (it felt awesome). After that, I walked a bit and had a nice moment to myself. I know the time is nothing spectacular but it wasn’t about the time for me. I ran a negative split in a marathon and felt amazing after I finished. Did I leave a little on the table? Maybe. But I learned so much from this race too. I have such a long way to go in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I’m not sure where I go from here, but I know I’m going to enjoy this one for a while. One run or day should never define anyone, but it feels damn good for all the hard work and dedication to culminate with a great run. 

I truly appreciate everyone in here. We are all different, but share common goals. We get each other, and I am glad to be a part of it. I was thinking about all of you on the course today each time I crossed a timing mat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knew channeling ones inner Jules Winfield was the key to marathon success. Should have known all along. 

"What does that wallet say?" 

2018 Treasure Coast Marathon 

Not sure where to start with this one. I truly feel I learned so much from my last marathon and vowed not to let the marathon win again. Going in, I had no real goal and didn’t really think about this run as a race. I just wanted to complete the 26.2 without stopping and finish strong. Considering the 8 week training program and issues with my back, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. However, since January 1st, I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my life to accomplish this goal. I don’t think I missed a single day of the gym since the 1st, on top of all the running throughout. My weight in Seattle last July was 155 at the start. Today, I was 165 but felt it was a completely different body. 

On to the race.... 

It was tough to not let the marathon distract me the entire week. I was physically at work, but I’d be lying if I said thoughts of the marathon didn’t consume me the entire week. Anxiety started to kick in around Friday. When I say anxiety, my breathing changes and I get tightness in my chest. Still not sure why this happens, gotta figure out a way to turn the thoughts and energy into something positive on race day. I had my socks picked out about 5 days in advance (fairly thick, quarter socks), they were grey. Only one bag of rice Saturday night. I wanted more, but remembered Gruced laughing at me and saying something like “where you gonna get your protein bro? Good luck with that.” It seemed like a minimum 2 bagger kinda race, but I resisted. 

I slept pretty well and woke up at 4 am. I had 2 bathroom sessions and did my normal routine (this includes holding the cobra yoga pose for minutes on end to try and loosen that nerve). Left the house around 5:15 and arrived at the race site around 5:40. I waited in line to use the restroom for about 17 minutes. 5:57 rolls around as I stumble out of the porta-potty. Race starts in 3 minutes and the corral is jam-packed! I squeeze in behind the 3:30 pacer without a warm-up. I turn some music on, adjust my gloves (Brony) and waited for the start.

Gun goes off and the heart rate is somewhat elevated. I kept saying, just ease into this race and don’t do anything stupid. I listened to some music for the first 4 miles, and I just couldn’t find a groove. I switched over to a podcast and it had a nice calming effect on me. I wasn’t really concerned with my paces at this point, only my heart rate. I tried to keep it around or under 155. It was really windy, and I hit the first bridge around mile 11. 3 bros and a lady all running as a team, passed me on the bridge. I decided to take it a bit easy and settle in behind them. They built a wall that blocked the wind. 

I positioned my wife and dad at the halfway point. I had a mixture of tailwind and salt tabs mixed in a water bottle that they delivered to me. Around mile 15 the caffeinated tailwind kicked in and I went into the zone. I was following that group but decided to break away and get after it. I jumped the sidewalk and hit the street. This was a long 3-4 mile straightaway. I don’t know why, but I love straightaways and live running on the white painted lines. There is something therapeutic about it. I find a mark on the horizon, and I get this laser-like focus. 

When I got to mile 18, I hit a tiny wall. My heart rate was high, I was going pretty slow, and my legs were dying. I said to myself, not already! I changed my mentality rather quickly and caught up with a guy that was running at a good clip. We ran together all the way up to mile 22. If you remember my last marathon write-up, mile 22 was my breaking point. Not today! I used that experience and left my running mate. At this point, I knew I had the heart to finish this thing strong. I said to myself out loud a few times, “you’re a bad mutha*****.” Not sure where that saying came from but I said it a few times. There was only one thing that stood in my way, the last of the 4 bridges we had to run with a heavy wind. I finished the bridge somewhat strong and knew I was home-free. 

I had 2 songs that I was saving for mile marker 25. Once I hit mile marker 25, I put the music as high as I could, with a smile from ear to ear and started to jam. A numbness came over my entire body, and I literally started singing out loud. It was the best feeling I’ve ever had during a run. Maybe even one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. It was such a high and euphoria, I almost got emotional. I was picking people off left and right, and they probably thought I was crazy, because I was singing, smiling, and almost dancing to the music. 

I saw the finish line in the distance and it hit me. I veered out into the middle of the road and have it all I had. The course went a bit long, but I didn’t care. 100 yards from the line, I spotted my family, friends, and my wife. I crossed the line with a huge smile on my face and dove into my wife’s arms for a huge hug (it felt awesome). After that I walked a bit and had a nice moment to myself. I know the time is nothing spectacular but it was t about the time for me. I ran a negative split in a marathon and felt amazing after I finished. Did I leave a little on the table? Maybe. But I learned so much from this race too. I have such a long way to go in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I’m not sure where I go from here, but I know I’m going to enjoy this one for a while. One run or day should never define anyone, but it feels damn good for all the hard work and dedication to culminate with a great run. 

I truly appreciate everyone in here. We are all different, but share common goals. We get each other, and I am glad to be a part of it. I was thinking about all of you on the course today each time I crossed a timing mat. 
Awesome race and fabulous write up.   Great to hear.  With two marathons under your belt, you can now start to refine how you train and race the marathon distance.

In terms of before the race, I lay out my clothes several days in advance and put it in the order that I will put them on (including HRM, vaseline, sunglasses, etc.).  Its one less thing I need to think about.  At the start line, I try to get into a zen like state for a few minutes taking slow, deliberate breaths.  I bring cardboard or a garbage bag to sit on the ground (bag helps keep my butt dry).  I finally set my goal pace for the first 6 miles. Whatever it is, I try to follow it.  I make that goal pace hopefully a bit slower to just let me ease into the race.   Once I get to 6 miles, the anxiety is in the past and then its time to execute the plan.  

Again, great job and enjoy this one!  You earned it.

Been waiting to write until I got even a tiny bit of traction...

Couple of parents in my daughter's 1st grade class are runners/marathoners. Turns out one was on my old tri club and did the same IM with them two years after me. We're all close by, so they mentioned a regular Sunday run around the hood. I opted in.

First run- I hadn't done more than a couple miles in...probably years- and hadn't been out for anything at all in close to a year. But we kept it conversational pace (10:30ish) and I figured I could just duck out if needed.. legs felt ok the whole way so I stayed and I was able to do 6+. Could barely walk for a few days, but even that felt good.

Did my 4th Sunday with them today, all between 6-7 miles, similar conversational pace. I haven't made time to run during the week, but it's too have the legs remember what they used to do. Regularly commuting (short distances) by bike has helped.

We meet at a place called Pickle Guys, and they're already designing our team t-shirts and figuring what marathons to race in the fall. For now, I'm just happy to be using those gift Hokas and reminding the body what it used to do.

Thanks for your input.  I remember your experiences and have thought about a similar approach -- stepping back from running and the pounding  for a long while and focus mainly on therapy.  Maybe that would work for me but maybe not.  I have been dealing with this for two years now.  In my mind as of now, I'd rather just get that stuff out of there.  I know there are always risks with medical procedures but I think this one is a risk I can accept.

Been waiting to write until I got even a tiny bit of traction...

Couple of parents in my daughter's 1st grade class are runners/marathoners. Turns out one was on my old tri club and did the same IM with them two years after me. We're all close by, so they mentioned a regular Sunday run around the hood. I opted in.

First run- I hadn't done more than a couple miles in...probably years- and hadn't been out for anything at all in close to a year. But we kept it conversational pace (10:30ish) and I figured I could just duck out if needed.. legs felt ok the whole way so I stayed and I was able to do 6+. Could barely walk for a few days, but even that felt good.

Did my 4th Sunday with them today, all between 6-7 miles, similar conversational pace. I haven't made time to run during the week, but it's too have the legs remember what they used to do. Regularly commuting (short distances) by bike has helped.

We meet at a place called Pickle Guys, and they're already designing our team t-shirts and figuring what marathons to race in the fall. For now, I'm just happy to be using those gift Hokas and reminding the body what it used to do.
What kind of scarf is good for running?  ;)

Users who are viewing this thread