What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (16 Viewers)

2018 Treasure Coast Marathon 

Not sure where to start with this one. I truly feel I learned so much from my last marathon and vowed not to let the marathon win again. Going in, I had no real goal and didn’t really think about this run as a race. I just wanted to complete the 26.2 without stopping and finish strong. Considering the 8 week training program and issues with my back, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. However, since January 1st, I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my life to accomplish this goal. I don’t think I missed a single day of the gym since the 1st, on top of all the running throughout. My weight in Seattle last July was 155 at the start. Today, I was 165 but felt it was a completely different body. 

On to the race.... 

It was tough to not let the marathon distract me the entire week. I was physically at work, but I’d be lying if I said thoughts of the marathon didn’t consume me the entire week. Anxiety started to kick in around Friday. When I say anxiety, my breathing changes and I get tightness in my chest. Still not sure why this happens, gotta figure out a way to turn the thoughts and energy into something positive on race day. I had my socks picked out about 5 days in advance (fairly thick, quarter socks), they were grey. Only one bag of rice Saturday night. I wanted more, but remembered Gruced laughing at me and saying something like “where you gonna get your protein bro? Good luck with that.” It seemed like a minimum 2 bagger kinda race, but I resisted. 

I slept pretty well and woke up at 4 am. I had 2 bathroom sessions and did my normal routine (this includes holding the cobra yoga pose for minutes on end to try and loosen that nerve). Left the house around 5:15 and arrived at the race site around 5:40. I waited in line to use the restroom for about 17 minutes. 5:57 rolls around as I stumble out of the porta-potty. Race starts in 3 minutes and the corral is jam-packed! I squeeze in behind the 3:30 pacer without a warm-up. I turn some music on, adjust my gloves (Brony) and waited for the start.

Gun goes off and the heart rate is somewhat elevated. I kept saying, just ease into this race and don’t do anything stupid. I listened to some music for the first 4 miles, and I just couldn’t find a groove. I switched over to a podcast and it had a nice calming effect on me. I wasn’t really concerned with my paces at this point, only my heart rate. I tried to keep it around or under 155. It was really windy, and I hit the first bridge around mile 11. 3 bros and a lady all running as a team, passed me on the bridge. I decided to take it a bit easy and settle in behind them. They built a wall that blocked the wind. 

I positioned my wife and dad at the halfway point. I had a mixture of tailwind and salt tabs mixed in a water bottle that they delivered to me. Around mile 15 the caffeinated tailwind kicked in and I went into the zone. I was following that group but decided to break away and get after it. I jumped the sidewalk and hit the street. This was a long 3-4 mile straightaway. I don’t know why, but I love straightaways and live running on the white painted lines. There is something therapeutic about it. I find a mark on the horizon, and I get this laser-like focus. 

When I got to mile 18, I hit a tiny wall. My heart rate was high, I was going pretty slow, and my legs were dying. I said to myself, not already! I changed my mentality rather quickly and caught up with a guy that was running at a good clip. We ran together all the way up to mile 22. If you remember my last marathon write-up, mile 22 was my breaking point. Not today! I used that experience and left my running mate. At this point, I knew I had the heart to finish this thing strong. I said to myself out loud a few times, “you’re a bad mutha*****.” Not sure where that saying came from but I said it a few times. There was only one thing that stood in my way, the last of the 4 bridges we had to run with a heavy wind. I finished the bridge somewhat strong and knew I was home-free. 

I had 2 songs that I was saving for mile marker 25. Once I hit mile marker 25, I put the music as high as I could, with a smile from ear to ear and started to jam. A numbness came over my entire body, and I literally started singing out loud. It was the best feeling I’ve ever had during a run. Maybe even one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. It was such a high and euphoria, I almost got emotional. I was picking people off left and right, and they probably thought I was crazy, because I was singing, smiling, and almost dancing to the music. 

I saw the finish line in the distance and it hit me. I veered out into the middle of the road and gave it all I had. The course went a bit long, but I didn’t care. 100 yards from the line, I spotted my family, friends, and my wife. I crossed the line with a huge smile on my face and dove into my wife’s arms for a huge hug (it felt awesome). After that, I walked a bit and had a nice moment to myself. I know the time is nothing spectacular but it wasn’t about the time for me. I ran a negative split in a marathon and felt amazing after I finished. Did I leave a little on the table? Maybe. But I learned so much from this race too. I have such a long way to go in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I’m not sure where I go from here, but I know I’m going to enjoy this one for a while. One run or day should never define anyone, but it feels damn good for all the hard work and dedication to culminate with a great run. 

I truly appreciate everyone in here. We are all different, but share common goals. We get each other, and I am glad to be a part of it. I was thinking about all of you on the course today each time I crossed a timing mat. 
Stoked you had a great day - awesome race and report!

What podcast got you settled in??

Gun goes off and the heart rate is somewhat elevated.  I wasn’t really concerned with my paces at this point, only my heart rate. I tried to keep it around or under 155. It was really windy, and I hit the first bridge around mile 11. 3 bros and a lady all running as a team, passed me on the bridge. I decided to take it a bit easy and settle in behind them.  
:wub:     and    :wub:

Smart racing!  Great to hear the payoff of a super-strong finish!!!  

:pickle:

Great run JShare87. Those days are awesome when you get in that zone. You described it really  well and that's a pretty damn good event  to enjoy it. Congrats on hard work and preparation meets a great running day! 

Not to diminish your pr, but do you know the women in neon green behind you in your finish line pic? If she ran 3:22, I think we need some drug tests done stat. 

Not to diminish your pr, but do you know the women in neon green behind you in your finish line pic? If she ran 3:22, I think we need some drug tests done stat. 
I was chasing that lady from mile one, she was a real trooper. She ran the half. I was waiting for your shtick, Brony. That was a nice heart-felt post by you and I was waiting for your usual bs. Thanks for coming through for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:clap: great job jshare! 

Starting to realize I really need to start taking nutrition on longer runs. Never really needed to before, but now I get past 8 and while my HR is great, pretty much in zone 2 / MAF range but literally cannot get my damn legs to move faster. I have used 1 scoop of tailwind in my bottle but that isn't sufficient.  Not really feeling exhausted, it's muscular. Maybe part mental...

JShare87 said:

Not sure where to start with this one. I truly feel I learned so much from my last marathon and vowed not to let the marathon win again. Going in, I had no real goal and didn’t really think about this run as a race. I just wanted to complete the 26.2 without stopping and finish strong. Considering the 8 week training program and issues with my back, I wasn’t too sure what to expect. However, since January 1st, I have worked harder than I have ever worked in my life to accomplish this goal. I don’t think I missed a single day of the gym since the 1st, on top of all the running throughout. My weight in Seattle last July was 155 at the start. Today, I was 165 but felt it was a completely different body. 

On to the race.... 

It was tough to not let the marathon distract me the entire week. I was physically at work, but I’d be lying if I said thoughts of the marathon didn’t consume me the entire week. Anxiety started to kick in around Friday. When I say anxiety, my breathing changes and I get tightness in my chest. Still not sure why this happens, gotta figure out a way to turn the thoughts and energy into something positive on race day. I had my socks picked out about 5 days in advance (fairly thick, quarter socks), they were grey. Only one bag of rice Saturday night. I wanted more, but remembered Gruced laughing at me and saying something like “where you gonna get your protein bro? Good luck with that.” It seemed like a minimum 2 bagger kinda race, but I resisted. 

I slept pretty well and woke up at 4 am. I had 2 bathroom sessions and did my normal routine (this includes holding the cobra yoga pose for minutes on end to try and loosen that nerve). Left the house around 5:15 and arrived at the race site around 5:40. I waited in line to use the restroom for about 17 minutes. 5:57 rolls around as I stumble out of the porta-potty. Race starts in 3 minutes and the corral is jam-packed! I squeeze in behind the 3:30 pacer without a warm-up. I turn some music on, adjust my gloves (Brony) and waited for the start.

Gun goes off and the heart rate is somewhat elevated. I kept saying, just ease into this race and don’t do anything stupid. I listened to some music for the first 4 miles, and I just couldn’t find a groove. I switched over to a podcast and it had a nice calming effect on me. I wasn’t really concerned with my paces at this point, only my heart rate. I tried to keep it around or under 155. It was really windy, and I hit the first bridge around mile 11. 3 bros and a lady all running as a team, passed me on the bridge. I decided to take it a bit easy and settle in behind them. They built a wall that blocked the wind. 

I positioned my wife and dad at the halfway point. I had a mixture of tailwind and salt tabs mixed in a water bottle that they delivered to me. Around mile 15 the caffeinated tailwind kicked in and I went into the zone. I was following that group but decided to break away and get after it. I jumped the sidewalk and hit the street. This was a long 3-4 mile straightaway. I don’t know why, but I love straightaways and live running on the white painted lines. There is something therapeutic about it. I find a mark on the horizon, and I get this laser-like focus. 

When I got to mile 18, I hit a tiny wall. My heart rate was high, I was going pretty slow, and my legs were dying. I said to myself, not already! I changed my mentality rather quickly and caught up with a guy that was running at a good clip. We ran together all the way up to mile 22. If you remember my last marathon write-up, mile 22 was my breaking point. Not today! I used that experience and left my running mate. At this point, I knew I had the heart to finish this thing strong. I said to myself out loud a few times, “you’re a bad mutha*****.” Not sure where that saying came from but I said it a few times. There was only one thing that stood in my way, the last of the 4 bridges we had to run with a heavy wind. I finished the bridge somewhat strong and knew I was home-free. 

I had 2 songs that I was saving for mile marker 25. Once I hit mile marker 25, I put the music as high as I could, with a smile from ear to ear and started to jam. A numbness came over my entire body, and I literally started singing out loud. It was the best feeling I’ve ever had during a run. Maybe even one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. It was such a high and euphoria, I almost got emotional. I was picking people off left and right, and they probably thought I was crazy, because I was singing, smiling, and almost dancing to the music. 

I saw the finish line in the distance and it hit me. I veered out into the middle of the road and gave it all I had. The course went a bit long, but I didn’t care. 100 yards from the line, I spotted my family, friends, and my wife. I crossed the line with a huge smile on my face and dove into my wife’s arms for a huge hug (it felt awesome). After that, I walked a bit and had a nice moment to myself. I know the time is nothing spectacular but it wasn’t about the time for me. I ran a negative split in a marathon and felt amazing after I finished. Did I leave a little on the table? Maybe. But I learned so much from this race too. I have such a long way to go in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I’m not sure where I go from here, but I know I’m going to enjoy this one for a while. One run or day should never define anyone, but it feels damn good for all the hard work and dedication to culminate with a great run. 

I truly appreciate everyone in here. We are all different, but share common goals. We get each other, and I am glad to be a part of it. I was thinking about all of you on the course today each time I crossed a timing mat. 
I was literally smiling while reading your report.  Well done, what a day for you.  Congrats!

El Floppo said:
First run- I hadn't done more than a couple miles in...probably years- and hadn't been out for anything at all in close to a year. But we kept it conversational pace (10:30ish) and I figured I could just duck out if needed..
:rant: :censored:

seems mean :hot:

(we're getting 4-7" tomorrow :hot: )
Of course you are. I've got meetings in Manitowoc on Tuesday afternoon and a dinner at Hinterland in Green Bay on Tuesday night. Might actually drive up to Manitowoc tomorrow night to beat the worst of it.

seems mean :hot:

(we're getting 4-7" tomorrow :hot: )
There was totally ice on my car this morning.  My coffee travel mug almost slid off the top when I set it down.  But yeah, then it was pretty much a perfect day.

As always, mad props to you midwesterners who keep getting it done.

I like URP...Ultra runner podcast. I know @SFBayDuck does, too.
Yup, Eric is a good dude and has great guests, although obviously my tastes are pretty ultra-focused. If you want to get geeky into the stuff go with Science of Ultra, Endurance Planet or Ben Greenfield Fitness.  Billy Yang just started a podcast, those are good.  And Trail Runner Nation is alright, they regularly have good guests.

But I like a lot of non-running podcasts as well, like Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History, The Ringer's podcasts (NBA, Bill Simmons, Against All Odds, etc), The Russillo Show, and if you want really long form stuff check out Dan Carlin's podcasts.

JShare87 said:

On to the race.... 

Excellent race and I really enjoyed your report. You were really smart with your pacing and it’s impressive that you were able to run a negative split so early in your running career.

JShare87 said:
Thank you! You’re a very supportive and positive dude. I like Pardon My Take. It’s sports podcast with senseless humor. Got any suggestions?
Will give it a listen, I stick to some Ringer stuff and Endurance Planet in the car mostly.  Once more miles start piling up I’ll need something new to add to my go tos of yacht rock and Ghostfacekilla.

Hope recovery is off to a good start

Will give it a listen, I stick to some Ringer stuff and Endurance Planet in the car mostly.  Once more miles start piling up I’ll need something new to add to my go tos of yacht rock and Ghostfacekilla.

Aside from my right leg because of the Sciatica, my body feels great. My right leg after the race was completely dead, like a pirate’s peg leg, just there for a walking stick. It feels a bit better today but still not functioning like a normal leg.

Aside from my right leg because of the Sciatica, my body feels great. My right leg after the race was completely dead, like a pirate’s peg leg, just there for a walking stick. It feels a bit better today but still not functioning like a normal leg.
Crazy you were able to run such a great race with that and such short training. 

I think we can all tell how badly you wanted this and you went and got it. So awesome.

Step forward week

Objective for this week was to mimic 4 weeks ago and see how much progress I've made.

M - 7 GA @ 7:44 + 20 mins strength training 

Tu - 4 recovery

W am - 3 shakeout

W pm - 18 @ 7:26 (last month - 17 @ 7:42)

Th - rest

F - 4 recovery + 20 mins strength training

Sa - 6 hills, planned to do closer to 8 but stomach was angry so I didn't tempt fate

Su - 15 @ 7:24 (last month - 15 @ 7:46), not only were the two key workouts 15-20 seconds/mile faster month-over-month but I was faster on workout #2 this time around and I feel great today whereas last month I didn't want to get out of bed.

Total - 57 miles @ 7:43 pace!!!

I was already in a good place mentally after the 13 mile MP run last weekend and I brought the momentum to this week.  Hopefully this week will be devoted to speed, but we'll see just how angry mother nature gets this week.  Doesn't sound anything like that monster from last week, but also doesn't sound conducive to speed either!

Love me some Yacht Rock.  I have to revisit the original web video series at least every few months.

Of course you are. I've got meetings in Manitowoc on Tuesday afternoon and a dinner at Hinterland in Green Bay on Tuesday night. Might actually drive up to Manitowoc tomorrow night to beat the worst of it.
news says the worst of it will fall in the middle of the night and be over mid-day tomorrow but to expect a rough commute on tuesday morning

Step forward week

Objective for this week was to mimic 4 weeks ago and see how much progress I've made.

Tu - 4 recovery

W am - 3 shakeout

Th - rest

Sa - 6 hills, planned to do closer to 8 but stomach was angry so I didn't tempt fate

Su - 15 @ 7:24 (last month - 15 @ 7:46), not only were the two key workouts 15-20 seconds/mile faster month-over-month but I was faster on workout #2 this time around and I feel great today whereas last month I didn't want to get out of bed.

I was already in a good place mentally after the 13 mile MP run last weekend and I brought the momentum to this week.  Hopefully this week will be devoted to speed, but we'll see just how angry mother nature gets this week.  Doesn't sound anything like that monster from last week, but also doesn't sound conducive to speed either!
And you wanted to quit because there were no treadmills available one day. Look at you now! Glad you stuck with it. Really excited to see the upcoming marathons from the people in this group. 

Step forward week

Tu - 4 recovery

W am - 3 shakeout

Th - rest

What's your goal pace?

And you wanted to quit because there were no treadmills available one day. Look at you now! Glad you stuck with it. Really excited to see the upcoming marathons from the people in this group. 
The 'more than that' finally came to fruition - can't get into the details but I was promoted last week.  It was at the expense of others, which I still have mixed feelings about, but it was their own damn fault.

I'm glad I started training early (20+ weeks).  And I'm also glad I got started again with the mind set that I did - no expectations, no plans - just move.  If the fitness doesn't catch up in time then audible to a half and prepare for Erie before the Boston cutoff in September.  But if the fitness does catch up - #### some #### up.  

Gonna be a fun Spring in here...and this is where @Hang 10 pops in and says I'm ready to rock again!

What's your goal pace?
Lol, still don't have one.  I'm going to change my schedule a half dozen more times throughout March, but I probably won't know until sometime after Paddy's.  I'm preparing with 7:03 being the high end though.  My BQ time is "3:10," which means you better run a 3:05 or else you'll get squeezed.  7:03 min miles is the 3:05 pace, so that's where I'm starting.  If things keep clicking like they have then I'll probably push it a little faster, but won't decide until after I do at least one more 20 and pace runs.

Listened to a really interesting podcast interview/conversation today with Tommy Rivers Puzey.  Fascinating guy personally, and he's done everything from Ironman at Kona to 50K world championships to multiple sub-2:20 marathons (monthly!) leading up to a 2:18:20 at Boston last year.   And he has one of the most amazing 100 mile stories I've ever heard.

It's a long, 2 hour conversation, but load it up before your next long run and give it a listen!

Skyway Bridge 10k Late and Abbreviated Race Report

Traffic getting into the parking area at Tropicana Field Sunday was ridiculous just like when I picked up my bib on Saturday.  Pretty sure there were more cars there for this than most Rays games.  I managed to park about 10 minutes before my shuttle (aka school bus).  I didn't have any time to warm up or do anything else.  The driver got lost getting to the start delaying our arrival by at least 15 minutes.  When I got to the start, they announced I had 7 minutes before my wave was set to go.  WTF?  I wasn't even ready.  Start cannon (really) fired and we were off.  This was the 2nd wave so there were lots of people on the course already.  My first couple of miles were okay.  I was just trying to relax and get into a groove.  At around mile 2.5 is where the incline starts.  If you look on Strava, the profile makes it look like a volcano  :lol: .  I would say in my wave there were probably less than 200 people that ran all the way to the top.  I was not one of them.  I met up with one of the slower pacers on the way down and stuck with her and a couple of other folks within a mile of the finish.  I took off as the pace was too slow (even for me).  I finished with a meh time.  In all honesty I was treating this one like a recovery run.  My time was better than I thought it would be, but I felt like I still hadn't recovered from last week's races yet.  We all got back on the buses again back to the Trop.  They dump us off in a holding pen to collect our medal.  I think I waited at least 15 minutes to get to someone handing out medals.  I would have spent more time there to get out to the vendor area/party area if I didn't find part of one of the gates that was loose and I cut across near to porto-lets and was out of there in 5 minutes.  This race is awesome. There is not another course like this anywhere in Florida imo.  They need a lot of work on logistics.  I highly recommend it if they have it again.  The last race on this bridge was like 1987 when it was first built.  Rumor is they are planning a Half for New Year's Day 2019.  I think I would do it again if I have the chance. 

The good:

I took it easy, enjoyed the scenery and used it to take a break in this seemingly endless string of race weeks I find myself in. A selfie paradise on that bridge.

The bad:

The Brooks Levitates are killing my feet.  I have had blisters where I've never had them before, achy toes, and pressure points when I'm running unlike I have ever had with any other running shoe.  If anyone want a slightly worn pair (Size 11, Width D) of Levitates, they are yours.  They seem to run about true to size, but mine are a half size (or maybe a quarter) too big for me as I followed Roadrunner Sports 1/2 size up recommendation.  I bought another pair of Glycerins and will now have 2 new pairs in rotation again.  

My times have been slow lately and this stretch I am in is really wearing me out.  I feel like week to week I can't recover and my race times suffer.  I have 2 more in the next 2 weeks including my Half next week.  I don't have any expectations for it other than finishing it.  Then I have a somewhat easy 10k/5k (combo) race the weekend after that.  Fortunately I get almost a month off before my Keys race (7 mile bridge for those who are familiar with the Keys) and I am going to need it.  This is the end of my season where it is the beginning for a lot of you.  It feels like a continuation of last year.  I am slowly getting burned out.  I am determined to finish up what I am currently registered for, but the Summer can't get here soon enough. I have one race in May and possibly one in June (a carry over registration for a 7 mile night trail run I backed out of last year).  Nothing in the Summer planned other than lots of kayaking and gym time with some regular running at night as always.  I have no registrations for any races in the Fall other than another carry over from last year (carried over thanks to Irma) in September.  I think at most I am doing 1 a month through the end of the year.  I am looking to do a few Halfs next year with some others sprinkled in.  I may cap my annual races at 10 next year. Still enjoying it, but it's now become a grind.  Any advice (other than run less races) on how to get through the doldrums is greatly appreciated.      

I may cap my annual races at 10 next year. Still enjoying it, but it's now become a grind.  Any advice (other than run less races) on how to get through the doldrums is greatly appreciated.      
Asked, and answered.   :yes:   In effect, you're doing hard efforts every weekend.  Give yourself more of a break so you can follow a better training cycle.  Specifically, after a race, let yourself enjoy it for a couple/few days without having to immediately think about the next weekend's race.  

Asked, and answered.   :yes:   In effect, you're doing hard efforts every weekend.  Give yourself more of a break so you can follow a better training cycle.  Specifically, after a race, let yourself enjoy it for a couple/few days without having to immediately think about the next weekend's race.  
@Osaurus It's tough because it seems the races are what drive you and I have hesitated saying anything because if you stop them will it cause you to start skimping on all exercise? Obvious that's not optimal. 

But just for perspective I've only done a few races each of the last couple of years. I've enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than the constant grind - I think I did 11 in 2014 at my peak. I also get that I'm probably on the extreme end only doing 3-4 races per year now. And by the time I toe the line in April it will only be my 2nd in 8 months. 

So I do most of my runs at night. Recently (I am sure Grue saw this on the news) there was a cougar filmed in my area along with numerous sightings. This was 20 blocks from my house. I have continued to run at night, but I am not gonna lie, I have been extra jumpy at pretty much any noise. There was a possum that made me pretty much crap my pants a few nights ago.

Am I just a huge whimp? 

So I do most of my runs at night. Recently (I am sure Grue saw this on the news) there was a cougar filmed in my area along with numerous sightings. This was 20 blocks from my house. I have continued to run at night, but I am not gonna lie, I have been extra jumpy at pretty much any noise. There was a possum that made me pretty much crap my pants a few nights ago.

Am I just a huge whimp? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

Cars seem like they'd be thousands of times more dangerous.

Am I just a huge whimp? 
Not a whimp in my book.  We get snakes around here.  Dead or alive, if I see it its almost too late.  The HR spikes are always funny. 

On one really early morning run I was next to the woods and had a headlamp on.  Caught 3 sets of eyes reflecting about 15 ft in the woods.  There are always deer in the woods, but those were clearly not deer.  Then a lady at my work who farms near there was talking about the coyote problems they've been having.   

I don't go that way until sunlight now. 

Picked up Born to Run at the library this past weekend. 

I know several of you have read this book, but for those that haven't, it is a great read. About halfway through at this point - and there is some good stuff to glean out of there for a lowly runner like myself.

Highly recommend.  :thumbup:
It's great historical fiction, for sure.  I've heard plenty of interviews with some of the "characters", especially Jenn Shelton and Ann Trason, and they both have some issues with the accuracy of their portrayals.  Jenn's portrayal probably isn't too far off, but Ann's is probably unfair. But still an awesome book, and it got a lot of people into trail and ultra running.  And chia seeds.  Of course it also got a lot of people achilles tendinosis when they threw on the Vibrams or huraches and went out for a 10 mile trail run.

I haven't yet met her, but my crush on Jenn Shelton that started reading the book continues to this day.  There's a great short film on her called Outside Voices that really captures the "her" that I've heard others confirm.  You have to pay for the movie on Vimeo, but this is a good 4 minute clip (she doesn't show up until the 2:30 mark).  She and Rickey Gates put on a hut-to-hut trail running adventure camp in Colorado every year that absolutely includes tequila, that's high on my bucket list.  

Am I just a huge whimp? 
I always say I've never seen a mountain lion, but I absolutely know they've seen me.

If you're not a small cat or dog, you're probably good.

Am I just a huge whimp? 
Something that was mentioned before I went to Africa a while back: Carry an empty pop can with a few stones in it ...use it as a noise maker if a big cat appears.  I suppose something simple like a whistle would work just as well.

I always say I've never seen a mountain lion, but I absolutely know they've seen me.

If you're not a small cat or dog, you're probably good.
I always figure I will never hear the cougar until it's on top of me anyway.  That's kind of what they're good at.

...and I mean this in the outdoors sense.  Not the Jessep "Hug Life" sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t been too active in here the last week or so because I was on travel for work and then immediately went to Savannah with friends for the weekend.  It was the most significant work meeting of the year, an important training week since it was 3 weeks out from my goal race, and the weekend vacation was with some my closest friends some of which I only see a few times a year who want to drink all day and night.  A tough week that tested my priorities.

The running schedule had a 5k tune-up race slated for Saturday, so I signed up for the one that had the fastest participants the year before.  I knew I’d operating at less than 100% for the 5K, but I really needed to get in a workout, especially considering I failed my last interval session.  The night before the race I did a fairly decent job managing the drinking and woke up not feeling too badly Saturday morning.  I was also able to convince three of my friends to get up and race at 8:30 AM. 

Get Your Rear in Gear Savannah 5K Race Report

I choose this race because last year 3 guys finished under 18 with the winner finishing at 17:11.  When I got to the starting line wearing a singlet everyone was looking at me like I was an alien, I guess 50 degree weather is really cold in Savannah.  Looking around I saw two guys that might be capable of running sub 18 but no one else looked that fast.  At the start 5 kids rabbited out as I was working on finding my pace.  About 200 meters in, one I the guys I noticed earlier ran by my side for about 5 seconds and then backed off.  By 400 meters I caught all the kids and was in first place following the lead bike and police motorcycle.  

I tried settling into 5:40 pace and that felt doable, but I got the sense by the half mile point that no one was near me.  I don’t know if it was the drinking or the lack of competition but I found myself slowing down and getting to the mile marker at 5:46.  Motivation to really push it in mile 2 was tough and for some reason the guy on the lead bike pedaling a bit and then coasting really was annoying me.  I got to the 2nd mile marker in 5:50. 

Mile 3 is where I starting see runners and walkers going in the opposite direction.  This was really cool and a good number of people were cheering for me. I got my first real adrenaline rush of the day and started picking up the pace.   This had negative consequences because with the increased effort I felt like I had to vomit.  Here I had this huge lead and I was about to vomit in front of all these people cheering me on.  I ended yo-yoing my pace to prevent vomiting, but with just 0.5 miles to go the body had enough and I vomited on the side of the road (95% was a good call @Juxtatarot).  I ended up finishing in 17:39 on a course that was likely a bit short, 2nd place was 20:41.

I am happy with the result and it was a good workout, and I guess this is a PR but it’s likely the course was short. It really shouldn’t matter as I expect to improve on this time in 2 weeks.

decent job managing the drinking and woke up not feeling too badly...

...ended up finishing in 17:39 on a course that was likely a bit short, 2nd place was 20:41.

I am happy with the result and it was a good workout, and I guess this is a PR but it’s likely the course was short. It really shouldn’t matter as I expect to improve on this time in 2 weeks.
How many drinks we talking about here? To even drink ANY and accomplish that time is freaking awesome.  :banned:   :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread