What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

Fun run today.  Another gorgeous day weather-wise with temps in upper 40's, sun, slight wind.  After pushing hard a couple days ago on a short run, I just wanted to get out and take it easy and enjoy being outside.  Also went a new route the other day and wanted to do something similar and slightly different as I find I enjoy running along routes I haven't run before.  This is the same up and over but just going further and coming back down another road.  As I found out, more elevation that way, which is fine as I think running more hills helps me out overall.

Few things:

1)  I've mentioned this before, but now this is definitely a real thing.  When I start my runs on the slower side and keep the effort down, something happens at ~3-4 miles.  It feels very different.  Things just get so much easier.  I know some of you have said that happens for you.  What exactly is that?  Part of me feels like my stride opens up and thus I'm covering more ground at the same effort.  But I also feel different in my breathing and how my body feels like it's working.  I'm trying to figure it out because if it has to do with my stride, then I wonder what I can do to replicate it earlier on, if possible.  Either way, I certainly plan on doing a longer warm up for my next race to see if I can get that earlier on.

2)  As much as I hate hills, I REALLY like running downhill.  I've seen you guys mention that it can be hard on the quads and it takes practice but I don't think I've ever had any issue running downhill.  During my 5th mile today, it was both downhill as well as a combo of #1 above and a new route and I ended up running it at 7:45ish and it felt like almost no effort at all.  It was by far my easiest mile of the day and even with a slight uphill halfway through, it was crazy how good it felt while almost running at my fastest ever mile pace.  As I was running this part, I just thought to myself "this is perfect".  I wish I could capture that feeling and make other parts feel like that.  But, the downhill really makes it so, so nice.

3)  So much for today being slow.  That said, while the time doesn't reflect it, it still felt like a minimal effort run.  It was just one of those days where things felt good and I went with it.  I've had enough slow runs lately that I'm not going to worry about it too much.  My short run a couple days ago was tough.  The hills on that 3 mile route are crazy but I know it's a good workout and I tried to run it faster than I usually do.  I then finished the last half mile at a race effort and actually held a solid 6:45ish pace for ~half mile.  I was pretty surprised to see those numbers when I looked at it later.  Finished feeling I had just a little bit left but not much and even that short run was a taxing effort. 

Anyway, just a couple random thoughts/questions that I like to pop in here with.  Side note, my wife is feeling much better.  Definitely not a tear and I'm thinking she had a sudden muscle spasm and the sound must have been some joint popping as a result.  She's been stretching all week and was able to run intervals yesterday without any pain.  I'm glad because I felt bad and took off a couple days from running as sort of a "sympathy" thing.  I didn't want to get out there and keep training for our race in a couple weeks while she couldn't. 

Leaving for Hawaii in 3 days and look forward to running there.  Hoping to get out there every day but will see how things go.  Congrats on the awesome race @Juxtatarot. And love seeing @ChiefD getting out there for the long one today.

Fun run today.  Another gorgeous day weather-wise with temps in upper 40's, sun, slight wind.  After pushing hard a couple days ago on a short run, I just wanted to get out and take it easy and enjoy being outside.  Also went a new route the other day and wanted to do something similar and slightly different as I find I enjoy running along routes I haven't run before.  This is the same up and over but just going further and coming back down another road.  As I found out, more elevation that way, which is fine as I think running more hills helps me out overall.

Few things:

1)  I've mentioned this before, but now this is definitely a real thing.  When I start my runs on the slower side and keep the effort down, something happens at ~3-4 miles.  It feels very different.  Things just get so much easier.  I know some of you have said that happens for you.  What exactly is that?  Part of me feels like my stride opens up and thus I'm covering more ground at the same effort.  But I also feel different in my breathing and how my body feels like it's working.  I'm trying to figure it out because if it has to do with my stride, then I wonder what I can do to replicate it earlier on, if possible.  Either way, I certainly plan on doing a longer warm up for my next race to see if I can get that earlier on.

2)  As much as I hate hills, I REALLY like running downhill.  I've seen you guys mention that it can be hard on the quads and it takes practice but I don't think I've ever had any issue running downhill.  During my 5th mile today, it was both downhill as well as a combo of #1 above and a new route and I ended up running it at 7:45ish and it felt like almost no effort at all.  It was by far my easiest mile of the day and even with a slight uphill halfway through, it was crazy how good it felt while almost running at my fastest ever mile pace.  As I was running this part, I just thought to myself "this is perfect".  I wish I could capture that feeling and make other parts feel like that.  But, the downhill really makes it so, so nice.

3)  So much for today being slow.  That said, while the time doesn't reflect it, it still felt like a minimal effort run.  It was just one of those days where things felt good and I went with it.  I've had enough slow runs lately that I'm not going to worry about it too much.  My short run a couple days ago was tough.  The hills on that 3 mile route are crazy but I know it's a good workout and I tried to run it faster than I usually do.  I then finished the last half mile at a race effort and actually held a solid 6:45ish pace for ~half mile.  I was pretty surprised to see those numbers when I looked at it later.  Finished feeling I had just a little bit left but not much and even that short run was a taxing effort. 

Anyway, just a couple random thoughts/questions that I like to pop in here with.  Side note, my wife is feeling much better.  Definitely not a tear and I'm thinking she had a sudden muscle spasm and the sound must have been some joint popping as a result.  She's been stretching all week and was able to run intervals yesterday without any pain.  I'm glad because I felt bad and took off a couple days from running as sort of a "sympathy" thing.  I didn't want to get out there and keep training for our race in a couple weeks while she couldn't. 

Leaving for Hawaii in 3 days and look forward to running there.  Hoping to get out there every day but will see how things go.  Congrats on the awesome race @Juxtatarot. And love seeing @ChiefD getting out there for the long one today.
In reference to things getting easier at Mile 3-4, i think that’s completely normal.  I think your body is now fully warmed up so your stride opens up and things are firing at all cylinders.  

For a 5k, most runners will warmup several miles to get muscles and joints warmed up so when the gun goes off, you are ready to sprint.

For marathons, I’d say most people do not warm up as people want to conserve energy.  They use the first few miles as their warmup even if it’s a little slower paces.

Great job on your run!

Oh.  One last thing. I like downhills too!   :)

Leaving for Hawaii in 3 days and look forward to running there.  Hoping to get out there every day but will see how things go.  
Neat to read of the great run!

Regarding Hawaii, be careful if you choose to run barefoot on the sand.  I learned the hard way a few years ago in Gulfport, MS, that sand can be rather unforgiving.  #blistersoneverytoe

So when you drink way too much wine and have a long run in less than 12 hours besides all of the water what the hell do you do. 

Asking for a friend. 

MAC_32 said:
So when you drink way too much wine and have a long run in less than 12 hours besides all of the water what the hell do you do. 

Asking for a friend. 
Salt

i find alcohol makes me pee a lot and then there goes all my electrolytes. I like taking some salt (pink himilayian :unsure:) and some pure maple syrup (sucrose) in 12 oz of water. 2 of those some hours before the run is the best I’ve figured out. 

It certainly doesn’t help all that much, I hate suffering after drinking. One of the best things about working out is that it’s reduced my desire to drink frequently. 

gianmarco said:

Few things:

IMHO I love a good 10 min warmup. Just makes everything so much more comfortable. 

In races, I find it takes a good 2 miles for me to start sinking in. I’ve read that some people are like high Reving engines and others are like slow moving Diesel engines. I find I’m more of a Diesel engine. I need a little time to get going, then I feel comfortable. 

I also find that a lot of this training, the loading we do, is all about adaptation. Your comments about things being easier sounds to me like your body is adapting to the higher stress. This isn’t about something like a vo2max adaptation, but more of increasing the floor of your body and the slow twitch muscles learning to convert more glycogen. 

One other aspect, that I’m working on in particular, is learning to consume more calories. The more fuel your body can take on, the more you can convert, the longer you can work 

Salt

i find alcohol makes me pee a lot and then there goes all my electrolytes. I like taking some salt (pink himilayian :unsure:) and some pure maple syrup (sucrose) in 12 oz of water. 2 of those some hours before the run is the best I’ve figured out. 

It certainly doesn’t help all that much, I hate suffering after drinking. One of the best things about working out is that it’s reduced my desire to drink frequently. 
I chose, wisely. 

The three corned beef sandwiches were probably excessive, but mixed with potato salad and nibbling on pretzels and crackers all night must have helped.

My wife and I definitely didnt plot out who was long running when this weekend too well. We both thought I would be the one to get sauced Friday and she Saturday. It was the opposite. Whoops! 

I chose, wisely. 

The three corned beef sandwiches were probably excessive, but mixed with potato salad and nibbling on pretzels and crackers all night must have helped.

My wife and I definitely didnt plot out who was long running when this weekend too well. We both thought I would be the one to get sauced Friday and she Saturday. It was the opposite. Whoops! 
Mmmm corned beef.  :porked: we had corned beef, cabbage and potatoes last night. That was fine, the multiple whisky and Waters probably wasn't.

I chose, wisely. 

Not sure about others on here, but running makes my system /move/. I’m not sure how it would have reacted to that type of meal before a long run the next day. I frequently can’t go more than 7 miles without dumping on training runs. That said, weird enough, I’m typically fine on race day. 

Been waiting to write until I got even a tiny bit of traction...

Couple of parents in my daughter's 1st grade class are runners/marathoners. Turns out one was on my old tri club and did the same IM with them two years after me. We're all close by, so they mentioned a regular Sunday run around the hood. I opted in.

First run- I hadn't done more than a couple miles in...probably years- and hadn't been out for anything at all in close to a year. But we kept it conversational pace (10:30ish) and I figured I could just duck out if needed.. legs felt ok the whole way so I stayed and I was able to do 6+. Could barely walk for a few days, but even that felt good.

Did my 4th Sunday with them today, all between 6-7 miles, similar conversational pace. I haven't made time to run during the week, but it's too have the legs remember what they used to do. Regularly commuting (short distances) by bike has helped.

We meet at a place called Pickle Guys, and they're already designing our team t-shirts and figuring what marathons to race in the fall. For now, I'm just happy to be using those gift Hokas and reminding the body what it used to do.
The tri-almost/team mate wasnt there today, and I realized she was probably holding our conversational pace back a bit. Same 6.5m, but easy conversation at 9:30s. Which is making me think maybe I do a marathon in the fall- possibly Hartford which is day trip-able, or Philly. Or not. Or furley's mom.

Last edited by a moderator:
He and @gruecd both killed their 20 milers.
Thanks, boss.  :thumbup:

Run definitely went well.  Coach wanted me starting in the low 8s and then progressing down into the low 7s by the end. 

Miles 1-5:  7:58, 8:06, 7:48, 7:54, 7:53 (average 7:56)

Miles 2-10:  7:43, 7:34, 7:38, 7:39, 7:36 (7:38)

Miles 11-15:  7:21, 7:18, 7:19, 7:13, 7:07 (7:16)

Miles 16-20:  6:52, 6:55, 6:48, 7:00, 6:52 (6:53)

Overall average for the 20 was 7:26 (only 11 seconds slower than GMP), and my AHR was only 146.  Hit a little rough patch around mile 11-12, and of course the last few miles were tough, but overall I felt pretty good.  The fact that I could average GMP-10 for the last half of my 20-miler at the end of a 63-mile week definitely has me feeling good about my chances of going sub-3:10 at Carmel later this month. 

Super easy schedule for week #1 of the taper.  Only 34 miles on 5 runs as Coach stresses recovery from today's hard effort.

gianmarco said:
Few things:

1)  I've mentioned this before, but now this is definitely a real thing.  When I start my runs on the slower side and keep the effort down, something happens at ~3-4 miles.  It feels very different.  Things just get so much easier.  I know some of you have said that happens for you.  This happens to me quite frequently. Usually when I'm not really enthusiastic about getting out there. After a couple of miles in I start to warm up. I guess I'm like one of those old tube TV's that needs to get going for awhile.  :lol:

And love seeing @ChiefD getting out there for the long one today. Thanks for noticing. On the days where I feel good, I need to take advantage and gain as much volume as possible. This past week was one of those weeks where everything cooperated. So hopefully it continues. Going to try and do a HM pace run this Saturday if all systems are a go. The race is a month out, so a good time for that I think. 

I'm feeling pretty good. Actually rested.  Gonna go out and put in a 5k before tomorrow.  I think one of the things that has been missing from my races lately is that I wasn't having fun.  Last week was fun.  Hoping tomorrow is the same way.  No pressure on me for my first Half. Looking forward to my first PR at that distance.  My time will most likely look like many of your full marathon times.  :lol:   Pray for Mojo.

Survived my first Half.  This is a race to work towards in the future.  I was in my head a lot out there.  I’ll post a report tomorrow most likely.  Ugh.
Congrats on surviving your half. It's a great accomplishment to be sure.  :thumbup:

I have to ask on the first post I quoted: did you run a 5K on Saturday and then a half on Sunday? If so, I hope one of the things you learned is: Don't Do That!  :lol:

Congrats on surviving your half. It's a great accomplishment to be sure.  :thumbup:

I have to ask on the first post I quoted: did you run a 5K on Saturday and then a half on Sunday? If so, I hope one of the things you learned is: Don't Do That!  :lol:
Nope.  Just the Half.  Just went out for a short run Saturday morning.  I have a 10/5 next Saturday though.  I get strawberries when I finish  :thumbup:

Here are my targeted races for 2018.  This year will be my first Half-Iron which I am definitely looking forward to.  A few optional ones in there depending where I am with training and weather.

• 4/29/2018 - Earth Rock Run :: Half-Marathon (Amesbury, MA)
  • 6/24/2018 - Bare Hill :: Sprint Tri (Harvard, MA)
  • 7/8/2018 - Boilermaker :: 15k road race (Utica, NY)
  • ~7/11/2018 - Oneida Lake :: 5 Mile Swim (Cleveland, NY)
  • 8/26/2018 - Ironman Maine 70.3
  • 9/8/2018 (Optional) - Hyannis II :: (Hyannis, MA)
  • 9/15/2018 (Optional) - Pilgrimman :: Sprint Tri (Plymouth, MA)

"Speed?" Week

Going into this week the weather had me creating all sorts of different contingency plans.  Ultimately, I left a few miles out there, but overall I'm happy with my week.

M - 5 recovery @ 8:25

Tu - Higdon Tempo/Bell Curve, 7:31/7:16/7:03/6:47/6:33/6:21/7:05/7:52 (net 7:03) + 20 mins strength training

W - 5 recovery @ 8:24, more encouraging - I didn't feel at all fatigued from yesterday's workout

Th - schedule said MLR with intermittent pick ups, but the hourly forecast had me tugging at my collar.  Mother nature opened the flood gates about 3 and as a result delayed my wife's arrival.  By the time she got home I was left with just over an hour to squeeze in a run and outside looked like a snow globe.  Oh well - play the hand you're dealt.  So I trudged through a white out for 6 miles at a similar pace as the prior two recovery's...but with a whole lot more effort!

F - (looks outside) yep, that's almost a foot of snow on the ground...and it's still coming down.  I chalked up the hour of shoveling as my strength training for the day and brought my entire closet to work saying I'll figure out my workout once I get there.  The snow didn't stop and I decided I needed to do a speed workout, so - dreadmill it is!  To keep things interesting I turned on a random rock playlist and decided I would do intervals based on the music.  L1 - 10 min pace, L2 - 9 min pace, L3 - 8 min pace, L4 - 7 min pace, L5 - 6:30 pace, and L6 - as far into the 5's as I felt I could go.  Not being able to anticipate the next song and what I'd need to do kept things fresh throughout and caused the time to fly by.  I only really needed to do one extended recovery too.  This just in - Pyschosocial is a difficult song for this workout!  Titled them 7 miles of helter skelter intervals and called it a day.

Sa - yep, that's more than a foot of snow on the ground - try to stick to shoveled sidewalks.  I was mostly successful, but one street that's usually cleared wasn't.  By the time I got back to cleared sidewalks I felt I had expended too much energy for a recovery, so I cut it short at 5 (8:54).

Su - 17 @ 7:19, and to be totally honest - I didn't feel great for most of this run.  Part of it was alcohol and another part of it was (bad) food, but it was mainly my body not being too thrilled about the vigorous week.  But I trudged on and a funny thing happened around mile 13 once I stopped the incline portion of the workout - I felt strong.  To that point I maintained an uncomfortably comfortable effort and was rewarded with end of run energy.  But knowing my plan for the week I held back and didn't let loose to finish.  There are bigger fish to fry ahead.  That said, I was not expecting to see 16.3 when I looked down at the 2 hour mark of the run.  In my mind I was hoping for 15.x, so it was a major confidence booster to see I maintained that pace despite being nowhere near 100%!

Total for the week - 53 miles @ 7:44 pace.

Big week ahead...

Ive been so bad running outside this season.  Been really lazy and spent most all the winter on the treadmill.  Last year I was out in temps all the way down to 17f.  For some reason this season, havnt gone out below 40.  :ptts:

Overall, 18:17.  2/74 in age group.  26/1,720 overall.

I'm happy with this one.  I thought there was a good chance I would do much worse while little chance I'd do much better.  During my marathon taper, there is a 5K in my neighborhood that starts less than a quarter mile from my front door.  I think I will sign up for that one and try to force myself to get under 18:00 again.
Great race, @Juxtatarot!  

Users who are viewing this thread