Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

26 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

How is your health? I know you were batting an injury. Are you able to run once we all shame you into coming back?

I could run, but each time I do the achilles just flares back up.  It kills the motivation to try for a comeback right now.

17 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

:goodposting:  Aren’t you up kinda early?

Yep... Only 2nd night sleeping here and up early from time change. I feel rested so it's all good :) Breakfast is only 2 1/2 hours from now!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yep... Only 2nd night sleeping here and up early from time change. I feel rested so it's all good :) Breakfast is only 2 1/2 hours from now!

Not sure how much you’ve explored around Lihue, but there is a really good shave ice place called Fresh Shave in Lawa’i.  There’s other food trucks there on the side of the road.  It’s worth going to.  Happy to provide any other recommendations.  Maholo.

ETA: I liked Puka Dog too, but Mrs. O thought it was meh.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1

Just now, Ned said:

I could run, but each time I do the achilles just flares back up.  It kills the motivation to try for a comeback right now.

Damn. :(

• Like 2

For the folks training this winter, did you get hit with Cold/Flu bugs?

I got decimated this season.  I will say im somewhat a weakling.  My issue is that when I get bad colds, where congestion is significant, I will also tend to get sinus infections.  This season, about the time of the Super Bowl (:eagles:), it got real nasty.  I was bed ridden a couple days with the cold (no fever), then as I was recovering the sinus infection hit.  The totality of both of those was 3 weeks.  Sinus infections are the bane of my existence.  This was was so bad I ended up scheduling an appt with one of those ENT docs to see how messed up my passages are.

I hate coming back from being sick and having no working out.  Looking at my TP logs, i missed almost 2 weeks of training.  After about 1-2 weeks of getting my wind back, I then get hit with a different cold.  A cold I still have right now, for which its been now a week.  I have been "working out" through this cold, but im prolly only 75%.  If am now deeply afraid of getting another sinus infection.

If Im being honest, its downright debilitating.  It really pisses me off and brings me down big time.  Im just sick and tired of it.  Even typing right now is pissing me off :stepsawayfromkeyboard:

Granted, I am in the North East which makes me more susceptible.  I also have 3 kids, which makes me more susceptible.  I had been travelling which makes me more susceptible.

FML

28 minutes ago, Ned said:

swim and bike down?  :triplug:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ned said:

Checking in fat and unmotivated to run. :shrug: 

:sadbanana:

####ing Achilles man.  I know a couple of other people that suffer from that. 

Edited by Brony
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Not sure how much you’ve explored around Lihue, but there is a really good shave ice place called Fresh Shave in Lawa’i.  There’s other food trucks there on the side of the road.  It’s worth going to.  Happy to provide any other recommendations.  Maholo.

ETA: I liked Puka Dog too, but Mrs. O thought it was meh.

So, I'm here for a conference that I have to somewhat attend. But, still plans for getting out.

Yesterday was a torrential downpour all day. Flash flooding across the island. Having grown up in Florida, even I was impressed with the rain. We drove to a couple falls (Wailua and Opaekaa) and then back to hotel for reception and finally some drinks at Duke's.

Today we are going to Waimea Canyon to hike after morning conference. And tomorrow doing a Na'pali sail throughout the morning. 

Open to dinner suggestion for Friday night.

• Like 1

My therapy/recovery has been going pretty well the past few weeks.  My gastroc has been pain free the last few weeks which is still insane to me.  After Monday's 6.7 mile run, I got some tenderness in the place where that outer hamstring meets the gastroc.  Very focused point, but fairly minor pain.  Anyway, that pain point very slowly subsided Monday, Tues and into Wed. By last night,there was still some tenderness there, but prolly 20% of Monday's pain.  

So went for an easy 5 last night.  I rarely have my injuries exacerbate mid-run so I have to wait til after run to see if things get worse, stay the same, or sometimes even improve.  Woke up this morning and it's feeling no worse than yesterday afternoon, if not a little better.  sweet!  :knockonwood:

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

So, I'm here for a conference that I have to somewhat attend. But, still plans for getting out.

Yesterday was a torrential downpour all day. Flash flooding across the island. Having grown up in Florida, even I was impressed with the rain. We drove to a couple falls (Wailua and Opaekaa) and then back to hotel for reception and finally some drinks at Duke's.

Today we are going to Waimea Canyon to hike after morning conference. And tomorrow doing a Na'pali sail throughout the morning. 

Open to dinner suggestion for Friday night.

I experienced some high wind and rain that blew through the Grand Hyatt in December.  That was interesting.  

Merriman’s Fish House was good, but pricey.  That’s in Poipu I think.  Beach House was good too.  I liked the wasabi crusted mahi mahi.  Great views so it’s busy naturally.

ETA:  I liked Kauai Brewery and Grill too

Edited by Osaurus

17 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Very late and abbreviated Shamrock Halfathon Report

I spent a lot of time out there thinking about my dad.  By my age (44), he was dead.  I thought every step and every mile completed was to ensure I wouldn’t end up like him. 

My dad died at age 52 of cancer (just before chemotherapy was fully developed).  I was in college.  When I reached his age (ten years ago!), I was very aware, and remain aware - and appreciative - that I am living years that he was not able to.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JAA said:

I got decimated this season.  I will say im somewhat a weakling.  My issue is that when I get bad colds, where congestion is significant, I will also tend to get sinus infections.  This season, about the time of the Super Bowl (:eagles:), it got real nasty.  I was bed ridden a couple days with the cold (no fever), then as I was recovering the sinus infection hit.  The totality of both of those was 3 weeks.  Sinus infections are the bane of my existence.  This was was so bad I ended up scheduling an appt with one of those ENT docs to see how messed up my passages are.

I hate coming back from being sick and having no working out.  Looking at my TP logs, i missed almost 2 weeks of training.  After about 1-2 weeks of getting my wind back, I then get hit with a different cold.  A cold I still have right now, for which its been now a week.  I have been "working out" through this cold, but im prolly only 75%.  If am now deeply afraid of getting another sinus infection.

If Im being honest, its downright debilitating.  It really pisses me off and brings me down big time.  Im just sick and tired of it.  Even typing right now is pissing me off :stepsawayfromkeyboard:

Granted, I am in the North East which makes me more susceptible.  I also have 3 kids, which makes me more susceptible.  I had been travelling which makes me more susceptible.

FML

I hesitate to answer because the ups and downs of March has a tendency to get to me and I also have three small humans constantly bringing new stuff home, but outside of a couple of mild 24 hour things I think I dodged bugs this winter.  That said, I think a big part of it is I have been exercising outside for several years.  Nowhere near the mileage I've done this winter, but doing so in smaller doses probably helped adapt.

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

My dad died at age 52 of cancer (just before chemotherapy was fully developed).  I was in college.  When I reached his age (ten years ago!), I was very aware, and remain aware - and appreciative - that I am living years that he was not able to.

My dad did pretty much all the things that would stunt your life.  Smoking, overeating, sedentary lifestyle, and stress.  Surprisingly no drinking.  Result...massive heart attack and gone in an instant.  I try and do the opposite of him as much as I can and really do appreciate each day now.  

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JAA said:

FML

I'm with you dude. 

I deal with stuff all the time. My immune system is susceptible to colds and sinus infections due to some other issues I have, so I have had stretches like you. Usually for colds, if it's not in my chest I run. Not as long, but I will at least try and get in 3 miles or so.

Once it hits my chest I'm toast because it lingers for awhile. But you just deal with it and move on. And I have 3 kids as well, so it's always a germ factory. But I do know that the more I'm in shape, the better I can fight off the minor stuff. So sometimes I just try and push through it, and the running can help remove some of those toxins from my system.

• Like 1

I get sick about once a year.  Usually lasts less than a week.  Unfortunately I got it last year when I was in Hawaii.  I think I’m pretty lucky.

5 hours ago, JAA said:

swim and bike down?  :triplug:

@Ned if running is off the table I hope you consider some other exercise outlet.  I know you have other hobbies but I hope you've found something to replace running.

• Like 1

Looks like we got a few new guys on Strava in the last couple days. 

Welcome to the jungle. :fro::headbang:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ned said:

I'm so sorry GB.  I wish you had a path forward.

I met with a podiatrist (actually to see my son) and we got to talking running and he had run Boston many many years ago.  I told him about my strain on the tendons near my Achilles.  He recommended I try getting a small heel lift.  (Not a cushion but a lift.)  4cm or something that lifts the heel a bit.  It gets slid under the top level of the shoe.  He said it sometimes is enough to take the edge off the achilles.  He said its important to wear it during the day with dress shoes, etc. I'm not sure I'd actually wear it when running.  I don't know how it impacts cushioning if you run in it. 

I just pass it along as a possible help. 

For anyone who has achilles/calf issues, I can't stress enough the importance of stretching.  I was dealing with some issues a few weeks ago.  I stretched like crazy after runs for a couple weeks and things settled down.  I'm not saying thats the answer to everything but I was able to make it nearly a non-issue. 

My racing shoes have a lower drop.  I plan on trying them on Sunday for the race.  I'll see if my calves and achilles flare up after that.  If so, then a lower drop shoe isn't for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteelCurtain said:

I'm so sorry GB.  I wish you had a path forward.

I met with a podiatrist (actually to see my son) and we got to talking running and he had run Boston many many years ago.  I told him about my strain on the tendons near my Achilles.  He recommended I try getting a small heel lift.  (Not a cushion but a lift.)  4cm or something that lifts the heel a bit.  It gets slid under the top level of the shoe.  He said it sometimes is enough to take the edge off the achilles.  He said its important to wear it during the day with dress shoes, etc. I'm not sure I'd actually wear it when running.  I don't know how it impacts cushioning if you run in it. 

I just pass it along as a possible help. 

For anyone who has achilles/calf issues, I can't stress enough the importance of stretching.  I was dealing with some issues a few weeks ago.  I stretched like crazy after runs for a couple weeks and things settled down.  I'm not saying thats the answer to everything but I was able to make it nearly a non-issue. 

My racing shoes have a lower drop.  I plan on trying them on Sunday for the race.  I'll see if my calves and achilles flare up after that.  If so, then a lower drop shoe isn't for me.

Sux, @Ned.  I'm sure you've explored a plethora of options.  My notebook skills are the worst, but I think we've talked about the Alfredson protocol, and I'm assuming if you've been seeing professionals about this they've recommended it and you've gone down that route.   If you really want to exhaust all options, I have an ultrarunning acquaintance who couldn't get over her achilles issues, so she went to Sweden to see Dr. Alfredson himself to have him perform surgery in the fall.  She ran a 50K last weekend.  I'm happy to connect you with her if you're interested.  She's totally hot, too, not that that's relevant to the conversation or anything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Sux, @Ned.  I'm sure you've explored a plethora of options.  My notebook skills are the worst, but I think we've talked about the Alfredson protocol, and I'm assuming if you've been seeing professionals about this they've recommended it and you've gone down that route.   If you really want to exhaust all options, I have an ultrarunning acquaintance who couldn't get over her achilles issues, so she went to Sweden to see Dr. Alfredson himself to have him perform surgery in the fall.  She ran a 50K last weekend.  I'm happy to connect you with her if you're interested.  She's totally hot, too, not that that's relevant to the conversation or anything.

Hey, I've had some achilles issues too....uh....yeah my ankle and foot hurts kind of.....so um....go ahead and send me her number.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

How many of us are racing this weekend?

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

@Steel Curtain 1/2 marathon Sunday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.

Good luck, guys!!!

My wife has a 5K tomorrow morning, but she strained her calf a little bit, so God knows how that’s gonna go...

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.

Good luck, what is your goal and plan for the race?

53 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Good luck, what is your goal and plan for the race?

I'll be disappointed if I can't keep the miles under 6:30 pace.  If I feel good, I'll go a little faster but I haven't done enough fast running to have confidence that will happen.  I ran this half last year and ran well until I had a terrible side stitch after mile 9.  One issue is the Garmin measured it at 13.28 miles last year.  I think it's an officially measured course so I don't know how much of that is GPS error and how much was poor tangent running. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I'll be disappointed if I can't keep the miles under 6:30 pace.  If I feel good, I'll go a little faster but I haven't done enough fast running to have confidence that will happen.  I ran this half last year and ran well until I had a terrible side stitch after mile 9.  One issue is the Garmin measured it at 13.28 miles last year.  I think it's an officially measured course so I don't know how much of that is GPS error and how much was poor tangent running. 

I like your chances if you can avoid the side stitch, have you considered running conservatively early on in attempt to avoid get the stitch?  Perhaps running the early miles right at 6:30.

4 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

I like your chances if you can avoid the side stitch, have you considered running conservatively early on in attempt to avoid get the stitch?  Perhaps running the early miles right at 6:30.

My deep breathing trick has worked the last handful of times to keep them at bay when I start feeling them.  I think the problem is I don't breath deep enough running fast in the cold.  It will be a little warmer for the race (high 30s to low 40s) so hopefully it won't be an issue at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Yes, this!  Got some of the best of FFA running this weekend.  Looking forward to the results!  get some!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.

No shocker here, but me as well.  I have a 10k and then a 5k back to back Saturday.  This is week 4/4.  3 medals for this challenge plus strawberries!!!  Toe still not 100%, but I have 4 weeks until my Keys Race so I should be good. Low expectations going into this set for me, but it was fun last year so hoping for the same this year.

• Like 6

Just now, Osaurus said:

No shocker here, but me as well.  I have a 10k and then a 5k back to back Saturday.  This is week 4/4.  3 medals for this challenge plus strawberries!!!  Toe still not 100%, but I have 4 weeks until my Keys Race so I should be good. Low expectations going into this set for me, but it was fun last year so hoping for the same this year.

Good luck this weekend! :thumbup:

Edit: What part of Florida are you in?

Edited by ChiefD

Just now, ChiefD said:

Thanks.  I tried the heel lock lace thing last night and it works well.  I need to loosen the lower laces some, but thinking it will help.    

• Like 2

Just now, JAA said:

Is there a Strava group?

:yes:

1 minute ago, Osaurus said:

:yes:

Found it OP, thanks

1 minute ago, JAA said:

Found it OP, thanks

You’re in.  ? ? 

• Like 1

Fwiw I’m here because I didn’t see a dedicated Tri thread. In addition, folks here seem active and personable. I’ll try and limit the swim/bike schtick

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Edit: What part of Florida are you in?

Tampa

Just now, Osaurus said:

Tampa

Ah, ok. I'm going to be in Naples next weekend for a long weekend. If you were closer I'd sign up for a 5k and run with you. 

Just now, JAA said:

Fwiw I’m here because I didn’t see a dedicated Tri thread. In addition, folks here seem active and personable. I’ll try and limit the swim/bike schtick

All schtick welcome here. :lol: 

The only guy we don't make fun of is @SFBayDuck. He's the bad-### of the group and would crush us with his mental fortitude. 

• Like 3

Now that the groin pain is gone, PT is taking me back to basics with glute strengthening and single leg stuff and making me feel like a poosay. I have a lot of quad compensation going on and hopefully can wake up my weak ### muscles to improve health and performance. 

Happy to be back to more regular runs and volume with some intensity about once a week. Race next week and my fitness is suspect for sure. May need to ego check my expectations. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Ah, ok. I'm going to be in Naples next weekend for a long weekend. If you were closer I'd sign up for a 5k and run with you. 

Naples is nice (especially Marco Island)  I’m partial to Sanibel Island up near Ft. Myers.  Some other time.  I’ll be in Cocoa Beach next weekend.

14 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Naples is nice (especially Marco Island)  I’m partial to Sanibel Island up near Ft. Myers.  Some other time.  I’ll be in Cocoa Beach next weekend.

Love Sanibel.

Good luck this weekend, everyone.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Love Sanibel.

Good luck this weekend, everyone.

That hike looked a little wet yesterday, but I bet it was awesome.  We drove all the way to the top.  Our Na Pali Coast catamaran trip was cancelled while we were there due to bad weather.  Hope you enjoy it.

1 hour ago, JAA said:

Don't.  We have a @tri-man 47 in here after all.  @ThreeThousand, @Sand, and @2Young2BBald should post more too.  Some @Nigel cameos would also be nice.  He needs to up his hot chick game in peloton though.  He's been struggling lately.  @jb1020 had a nice addition last week though. :thumbup:

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

That hike looked a little wet yesterday, but I bet it was awesome.  We drove all the way to the top.  Our Na Pali Coast catamaran trip was cancelled while we were there due to bad weather.  Hope you enjoy it.

It was nuts. Still raining in the morning and a good portion of time we were there. Unfortunately couldn't see the canyon because of it. It was a muddy mess and actually had to cross a small river as a result of the rain/floods. Still flash flood warnings across the island.

You guys that run these trails -- Nuts! @SFBayDuck, I was thinking of you during that hike yesterday. That said, the cool thing was that I wasn't tired doing that hike like I would have been a year ago due to being in much better shape.

Anyway, about to head out for our catamaran on the Na'pali coast. Let's see what we can do today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAA said:

Yup, tri talk is fair game here.  I got back into it last year after a ten year layoff while pursuing a number of marathons and AG medal mongering ..just an old guy still hanging on.  As mentioned, @ThreeThousand is the tri stud here; @Sand is an ultra swimmer and a biking stud; @2Young2BBald loves all kinds of adventures; plus the others.  Even the resurrected @El Floppo was an Ironman way (way ...) back in the day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Yup, tri talk is fair game here.  I got back into it last year after a ten year layoff while pursuing a number of marathons and AG medal mongering ..just an old guy still hanging on.  As mentioned, @ThreeThousand is the tri stud here; @Sand is an ultra swimmer and a biking stud; @2Young2BBald loves all kinds of adventures; plus the others.  Even the resurrected @El Floppo was an Ironman way (way ...) back in the day.

Right now my adventures are all behind a desk.  I'll hit 70hrs this week :X.  Hopefully it'll slack up soon and I can rejoin this thread with a good conscience. 

5 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.

Good luck everyone!  Looking forward to reading about all of the ### kicking and name taking that goes on out there.

• Like 2

Rough night last night and I couldn't sleep so I finally got out of bed at 4:30. I uploaded to my Garmin a route I've wanted to try for awhile, brewed up some coffee, grabbed a rain shell and a headlamp and headed out the door.  

The Ninja Loop is a well known one here in the Bay Area, hitting several well known trails in the Marin Headlands.  I see it on my Strava feed weekly.  It takes about 30 minutes for me to drive there with no traffic, so it's always on my list but I've never made the effort.  It's described as, "This route's tradition goes back several years to when a few ultra-runners decided to squeeze in a trail run into the early morning hours. If you want to start your run before dawn (like a true ninja!), be sure to bring a headlamp. You'll earn your breakfast as you log over 2,000 feet of climbing including two epic climbs on the Miwok and Marincello trails. The early wake-up will ultimately pay off as you crest the final ridge and witness a breathtaking sunrise over San Francisco."

The hardest part was just finding the damned trail head.  After taking a couple of pics of the Golden Gate Bridge I wandered around in the dark staring at the arrow on the Garmin before finally finding it and heading up the single track.  It was raining and pretty gnarly the first mile or so as the initial climb is on rocky singletrack.  The views of The City as it started to get a little lighter were a nice payoff for that initial climb.  I didn't even mind that it was dumping rain on me, it was just cool to be out there by myself pre-dawn, and I didn't see another person until about 90 minutes in (only saw four people total in 2 1/2 hours).  I've only used the navigation on the Garmin once or twice before, but I kept that screen up the entire time checking it at each trail intersection, not worrying at all about pace, time, mileage, HR.  No numbers, just my feet slogging over rocks, mud, and water. 

After a few miles of trails I'd never been on I ended up on sections I've run during races out there which brought back some good memories.  As I left Tennessee Valley and started the 2 1/2 mile climb up Marincello, I paused for a few minutes to just stare and take in a rainbow.   At the top of that climb you're treated with a view of the Pacific outside of the Golden Gate, and then it was back down the singletrack toward the bridge, with the sun poking through the clouds over Alcatraz and The City in the distance.  

I needed that.....

• Like 12