What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

SFBayDuck said:
The hardest part was just finding the damned trail head.  After taking a couple of pics of the Golden Gate Bridge I wandered around in the dark staring at the arrow on the Garmin before finally finding it and heading up the single track.  It was raining and pretty gnarly the first mile or so as the initial climb is on rocky singletrack.  The views of The City as it started to get a little lighter were a nice payoff for that initial climb.  I didn't even mind that it was dumping rain on me, it was just cool to be out there by myself pre-dawn, and I didn't see another person until about 90 minutes in (only saw four people total in 2 1/2 hours).  I've only used the navigation on the Garmin once or twice before, but I kept that screen up the entire time checking it at each trail intersection, not worrying at all about pace, time, mileage, HR.  No numbers, just my feet slogging over rocks, mud, and water. 

After a few miles of trails I'd never been on I ended up on sections I've run during races out there which brought back some good memories.  As I left Tennessee Valley and started the 2 1/2 mile climb up Marincello, I paused for a few minutes to just stare and take in a rainbow.   At the top of that climb you're treated with a view of the Pacific outside of the Golden Gate, and then it was back down the singletrack toward the bridge, with the sun poking through the clouds over Alcatraz and The City in the distance.  
You win.  Wowza.

Not getting in as much running just yet as I'd have liked but that's ok. Fly to Maui tomorrow and maybe it'll be a bit better.

Have our 21K relay race next week. We each do 7K. 

I really don't know what to plan on as a goal pace. It's only a little over a mile longer than a 5K but I'm still not sure what to expect. I'd like to think I can run it faster than my first 5K a few months ago but how much? Or should I just run as fast as I think I can keep up with and no specific pace? 

For you guys that have seen my runs on Strava over the last month, what do you think? My gut says 7:45 is safe and 7:30 is possible but that makes me nervous and I have nothing to really base those numbers on that I can reliably say "yeah, this is it". 

FWIW -- The route has 140 feet of gain which isn't too bad. There's a decent hill toward the end of the first mile and then pretty decent the rest of the race.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1412857429

Last edited by a moderator:
Juxtatarot said:
How many of us are racing this weekend?

@pbm107 5K Saturday.

@Steel Curtain 1/2 marathon Sunday.

me 1/2 marathon Sunday.

Who else?

Good luck to all.
:hey: local small town 10 miler this morning. Free, I have no idea what to expect but I've ridden on these roads fairly often.

Goal is in the low 70s and to practice marathon pace for the first 5 or so. 

Fwiw I’m here because I didn’t see a dedicated Tri thread. In addition, folks here seem active and personable. I’ll try and limit the swim/bike schtick
Bring it!  From May on, I'll be riding, swimming and lifting more than running. I won't say I'm hanging up the running shoes but almost.

Not getting in as much running just yet as I'd have liked but that's ok. Fly to Maui tomorrow and maybe it'll be a bit better.

Have our 21K relay race next week. We each do 7K. 

I really don't know what to plan on as a goal pace. It's only a little over a mile longer than a 5K but I'm still not sure what to expect. I'd like to think I can run it faster than my first 5K a few months ago but how much? Or should I just run as fast as I think I can keep up with and no specific pace? 

For you guys that have seen my runs on Strava over the last month, what do you think? My gut says 7:45 is safe and 7:30 is possible but that makes me nervous and I have nothing to really base those numbers on that I can reliably say "yeah, this is it". 

FWIW -- The route has 140 feet of gain which isn't too bad. There's a decent hill toward the end of the first mile and then pretty decent the rest of the race.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1412857429
Looking at your strava, i think 7:30 is possible.  On Feb. 25, you did 6 miles at 8:18.  

Since this is a shorter distance and a race, you could surprise yourself.  I vote plan on 7:30 and then hold on for dear life.  :-)

:towelwave:  for the racers this weekend

Sitting here on a free weekend morning and waiting for a few more degrees of warm up and booking a hotel for next weekend, gotta be near the greek restaurant where the gyro and pancakes post race are going to happen again.  Looking at last year vs this year so far in Strava - twice the hours run so far this year but only about 60% more miles with the slow rehabby miles that have dominated the year so far.  Good factors heading into race are familiarity with race (first time last year) and more time on my feet so far this year with some good bursts of training in the past few weeks.  Looking at runs leading into this race last year i had done nothing as fast as i ran this race that is somewhat hilly and partially on rocky chunk trail.  Assuming the course hasn't changed much i'm targeting something faster than the 1:34:42 of last year.  I've felt pretty good on the faster pace segments over the past few weeks but haven't held them long.  Quality run planned for tomorrow then easy slightly longer weekday stuff until saturday.

Enjoy the weekend yall!     

Lost my GPS for the 10k, but did get it for the 5k.  No idea what happened (most likely user error).  Decent time for me in the 10k and used the 5k as a recovery race.  I will report by the end of this weekend (really).  All in all, a fun set of races...and strawberries ?   :excited:

ETA: Even tried to go in and recover .FIT file and nada.   :kicksrock:

I’m getting ready for my long endurance day, 4 total hours.

I’m in the end stages of coughing up small animals which is boosting my spirits .  Yesterday sucked as I tried to get up early and brick my endurance ride and hill climbs on the treadmill.  It was more of a struggle on the 1:15 bike ride than it should of been.  I was dreading the thought of the 45 min run.  I decided that I could have killed myself for the run, but it wouldn’t have been worth it.  In the end I was pissed I missed the run intensity, but ultimately I knew deep down in my whiny ### sick self it was the right call.  

While the wife isn’t so happy about it today, I’m scheduling my 3.5 in the saddle to start shortly. By my estimates I’ll be able watch most the Nova/Bama game without annoying interruptions. GB MM mobile app.

im optimistic with tomorrow being a full rest day I’ll be close to 100% Monday. 

:hey: local small town 10 miler this morning. Free, I have no idea what to expect but I've ridden on these roads fairly often.

Goal is in the low 70s and to practice marathon pace for the first 5 or so. 
74 so I guess that's low 70s. Nice race but it's disappointing that was in better shape last year. Starting to really think I need to recover / cross train more. 

And for the first time in almost 30 years, I detest running. :bag:

SFBayDuck said:
Rough night last night and I couldn't sleep so I finally got out of bed at 4:30. I uploaded to my Garmin a route I've wanted to try for awhile, brewed up some coffee, grabbed a rain shell and a headlamp and headed out the door.  

The Ninja Loop is a well known one here in the Bay Area, hitting several well known trails in the Marin Headlands.  I see it on my Strava feed weekly.  It takes about 30 minutes for me to drive there with no traffic, so it's always on my list but I've never made the effort.  It's described as, "This route's tradition goes back several years to when a few ultra-runners decided to squeeze in a trail run into the early morning hours. If you want to start your run before dawn (like a true ninja!), be sure to bring a headlamp. You'll earn your breakfast as you log over 2,000 feet of climbing including two epic climbs on the Miwok and Marincello trails. The early wake-up will ultimately pay off as you crest the final ridge and witness a breathtaking sunrise over San Francisco."

The hardest part was just finding the damned trail head.  After taking a couple of pics of the Golden Gate Bridge I wandered around in the dark staring at the arrow on the Garmin before finally finding it and heading up the single track.  It was raining and pretty gnarly the first mile or so as the initial climb is on rocky singletrack.  The views of The City as it started to get a little lighter were a nice payoff for that initial climb.  I didn't even mind that it was dumping rain on me, it was just cool to be out there by myself pre-dawn, and I didn't see another person until about 90 minutes in (only saw four people total in 2 1/2 hours).  I've only used the navigation on the Garmin once or twice before, but I kept that screen up the entire time checking it at each trail intersection, not worrying at all about pace, time, mileage, HR.  No numbers, just my feet slogging over rocks, mud, and water. 

After a few miles of trails I'd never been on I ended up on sections I've run during races out there which brought back some good memories.  As I left Tennessee Valley and started the 2 1/2 mile climb up Marincello, I paused for a few minutes to just stare and take in a rainbow.   At the top of that climb you're treated with a view of the Pacific outside of the Golden Gate, and then it was back down the singletrack toward the bridge, with the sun poking through the clouds over Alcatraz and The City in the distance.  

I needed that.....
 Awesone stuff here, Duck. Thanks for sharing. 

I saw some hot girl at the gym drinking kombucha while working out. I’m going to try that today, but my gut tells me that even a little bit of bubbles is going to make it uncomfortable. There is a little bit of sugar in gt kombucha, But not really that much.

Yesterday sucked as I tried to get up early and brick my endurance ride and hill climbs on the treadmill.  It was more of a struggle on the 1:15 bike ride than it should of been.  I was dreading the thought of the 45 min run.  I decided that I could have killed myself for the run, but it wouldn’t have been worth it.  In the end I was pissed I missed the run intensity, but ultimately I knew deep down in my whiny ### sick self it was the right call.  
I bailed on some intended mile repeats yesterday ...just feeling sluggish and run-down.  Settled for 5 miles of junk miles.  Slept 9 hours last night, and ended up feeling great for a 14 mile run today with a lot of recurring small hills.  :shrug:   Some days we just don't have it, and it's generally wise to not force the issue.

Is your long ride indoors on a trainer??  I don't mind the indoor bike workouts when I have a TV in front of me, though my crotch is never too pleased with all the sitting (easier to stand and pedal for a bit when outdoors).

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I saw some hot girl at the gym drinking kombucha while working out. I’m going to try that today, but my gut tells me that even a little bit of bubbles is going to make it uncomfortable. There is a little bit of sugar in gt kombucha, But not really that much.
It’s 1000x better on tap imo.  The bottle stuff is mostly awful.

• Smile
I have the stick and roller but might have to purchase the new sex toy. massage therapy ball.
I've been doing the foam roller every day since November ish and I still find that really beneficial. The ball helps with those small tough spots and it finds problem spots that the roller does not. I wind up  flexing the ankle while putting pressure on tight spots in the calf. Hurts like a mofo but improves the muscles. 

I've been doing the foam roller every day since November ish and I still find that really beneficial. The ball helps with those small tough spots and it finds problem spots that the roller does not. I wind up  flexing the ankle while putting pressure on tight spots in the calf. Hurts like a mofo but improves the muscles. 
I've actually found I can't get deep enough with the roller.  I'm assuming this thing would help?

I bailed on some intended mile repeats yesterday ...just feeling sluggish and run-down.  Settled for 5 miles of junk miles.  Slept 9 hours last night, and ended up feeling great for a 14 mile run today with a lot of recurring small hills.  :shrug:   Some days we just don't have it, and it's generally wise to not force the issue.

Is your long ride indoors on a trainer??  I don't mind the indoor bike workouts when I have a TV in front of me, though my crotch is never too pleased with all the sitting (easier to stand and pedal for a bit when outdoors).
Yea, in the garage on the trainer. Have my phone and TV. I’ve gone through most of amazon prime video and just about done with HBO. Next is Netflix. It’s easy to power watch when you are in front of a screen for 3+ hours. 

Ive been managing perenium (taint) discomfort. The junk used to fall asleep big time, it was real annoying. I went to 2 pairs of bike pants. Chnged saddles 3 times also. What seemed to work is elevAting the bike front tire a good 6-8 inches and a single nice pair of riding shorts. I was definitely uncomfortable today, but it was at least managable. No idea how I am eventually going to get to 7 some hours in the saddle should I choose to do a full Ironman. 

On my plane on the ground in LA.  Race starts in 7.5 hours in NYC. Starting to think I’m crazy for trying this.

PR is 1:32:52.  I’d be thrilled to beat that.  I’m exhausted from work and dinner wasn’t ideal.  Now I’ve got 5 hours of lousy sleep (hopefully) before NYC half marathon.

Breaking 1:30 is a pipe dream at this point.

Since I started working out with purpose, I find I can’t drink nearly as much and my hangovers are 10x worse. 

I didn’t have more than 4 beers last night and a couple snifters of port wine. I feel like absolute #### this morning. Prolly due some to the cold also. It’s been like 2 weeks since my last drink. 

Since I started working out with purpose, I find I can’t drink nearly as much and my hangovers are 10x worse. 

I didn’t have more than 4 beers last night and a couple snifters of port wine. I feel like absolute #### this morning. Prolly due some to the cold also. It’s been like 2 weeks since my last drink. 
This all sounds like a good thing.

• Smile
The tri-almost/team mate wasnt there today, and I realized she was probably holding our conversational pace back a bit. Same 6.5m, but easy conversation at 9:30s. Which is making me think maybe I do a marathon in the fall- possibly Hartford which is day trip-able, or Philly. Or not. Or furley's mom.
Kind of a weird one today. 

NYC 1/2 ran through my hood today, so other guy and I were going to meet up with another friend who was running the half as he came through, about m5. 

That was the idea at least. Of course being NYC, guy actual started 40mins after his allotted start time. It's 28deg, so we ran around a mile or so while waiting, but didn't want to miss him and the opportunity to run on the FDR drive and times square. 

He finally shows, and we jump in for 10:30s with him- fun to be back in a race environment. I had to get home, so bailed out after 2.5 (FDR, but no times square). Ran back down the East River to home... Another 2.5, but decided to spin the legs out and go at more of a race pace. The legs remembered what to do- exactly 7:45s the rest of the way. Felt good to see the consistency of the pace and to push part conversational pace.

On my plane on the ground in LA.  Race starts in 7.5 hours in NYC. Starting to think I’m crazy for trying this.

PR is 1:32:52.  I’d be thrilled to beat that.  I’m exhausted from work and dinner wasn’t ideal.  Now I’ve got 5 hours of lousy sleep (hopefully) before NYC half marathon.

Breaking 1:30 is a pipe dream at this point.
Wow that's awesome. Congrats!

With rest and calm winds, i think i have a shot.  Today, i had neither of those things.  
Holy crap dude... That's blazing! Regardless of the travel...with the travel to PR the day after all of that- insane! And it was windy and witch's teat cold out there today. Nice work! But you didn't stop to say hi... We were right at the turn onto Houston St right before you got on the FDR Drive. 

Bolingbrook St. Paddy's Day Half Marathon

I ran this race last year when I was also in marathon training and ran great until I got a terrible side stitch during mile 9 that I had to walk off. That kind of derailed me for the rest of the race.

PR is 1:22:36 (6:19 pace) which I set in 2015 a month before my PR marathon.  Although I usually am hyper-focused on PRs, that wasn’t the goal this time for several reasons.  First, I had a series of excellent tempo runs and marathon pace runs that 2015 summer. I’ve never felt as strong of a runner as I did then.  This cycle, tempos have been hard and not that fast and I only have tried one long run with fast miles. I ran those mainly in the 6:40s and they were hard enough.  Another concern is that my PR half measured a little short (about 13.07) while the Garmin measured over 13.2 at this race last year. Although we know GPS isn’t exact, I knew I’d probably be “behind” again making my pace checks and splits not as strong as they showed.  Finally, there is a killer hill during mile 11 that I would surely lose time on. It’s less than 100 feet in elevation which is laughable to some of you but that’s a beast for a Midwestern flatlander like me.

However, there were a few signs that I might do well.  I ran a pretty good 5K last weekend without any 5K specific training.  Also, with a mileage frontloaded week, I noticed that my natural pace was responding well with some shorter mileage runs the last few days.  I was accidentally running some miles in the low 7s which I’ve learned over the years is a good sign.

I decided to set a goal of keeping under 6:30 pace which would be my second or third best half marathon time.

Weather was good for this one.  It was about 30 at the start climbing to about 40 at the end.  Sunny with only about a 5 mph wind.

Mile 1: 6:21

Mile 2: 6:19

This race was a combined half marathon and 5K.  The 5K runners split off around mile 2. I noticed I was running faster than I planned but I was feeling OK and I didn’t feel like running slower than the other runners around me.

Mile 3: 6:23

As I ran with an older runner for a while, I joked to him about how he was squeaking with every step.

“Orthotic inserts,” he said, “Something you get to look forward to when you get older.”  Guessing who he was from the results, he’s only 4 years older than me. Routinely I’m shocked how old I am.

Mile 4: 6:19

Mile 5: 6:21

We merged back into the 5K runners here who were on their last mile.  I was focused on running near perfect tangents but it was impossible here.  I got reprimanded by a volunteer for running outsides the cones. I had passed a few runners over the last few miles and passed an additional two young guys in matching singlets.

Mile 6: 6:10

There was a steep, quad-pounding downhill here that helps with the pace but I know I have to go back up the hill to the west on mile 11 so that reminder makes it suck.  We went off the streets here onto a nature path (paved) that would wind around a lake for the next several miles.

Mile 7: 6:12

There were two runners immediately ahead.  I passed one of them when he decided to walk after getting water.  I skipped the station like I did all the others since it was cold enough for me not to need anything.  I followed the other runner for a while and was debating whether to pass him. I was running faster than planned and didn’t want that feeling of having to be re-passed later.  However, there was something about his body shape (he was bigger, stronger guy compared to a wispy thin runner like me) and something about the sweat on his back made me want to pass him.  So I did.

Mile 8: 6:08

Even running faster I heard the footsteps of the runner behind me.  I couldn’t seem to shake him.

Mile 9: 6:17

This was the mile I got the side stitch last year and I was irrationally nervous as I passed the same spot.  I thought I passed it and sensed relief. I still heard the footsteps behind me. There are a few runners ahead maybe around 100 to 200 yards including who I knew was the first place woman. They were running strong and I didn’t really consider catching them.

Mile 10: 6:19

Suddenly a side stitch came on.  It wasn’t too bad though and I immediately went into comically deep pronounced breathing and it subsided.  There is a U-turn in this mile and to my surprise the footsteps behind me weren’t coming from the guy I passed but a 36 year-old woman.  The guy is now another 100 yards back from her. She followed me the rest of the way and at the end thanked me for “pulling” her through while apparently elated with her time.  She said she just fixated her eyes on the back of my shirt and kept on going. It’s nice to help someone without trying.

Mile 11: 6:23

This was the mile with the hill I was dreading the whole race.  I had a plan though. I was going to try @JShare87’s trick and, out loud, tell myself “I’m a bad mutha####er” as I started up the hill.  I tried a few times, “I’m a…”, “I’m a…”, but that’s a lot of syllables in a row to say while trying to run up a hill at a fast pace and I couldn’t do it.  Oh, well, I still made it up the hill.

Mile 12: 6:12

Another side stitch started but I was able to parry again.

MIle 13: 6:09

Toward the end of this mile I noticed I was still under 1:20 in time and for the first time I wondered if I might PR.  Since the course was measuring long on the Garmin again, I had assumed I would be behind but I tried to do the math and realized it would be close (but, I thought, still unobtainable).

Final .18 on Garmin: 6:03 pace

I tried to pick up the pace but I didn’t have much left.  I saw the clock in the distance slowly tick past my PR.

Official time 1:22:38 (two seconds slower than my PR).  13/524, 2/41 in AG.

Bolingbrook St. Paddy's Day Half Marathon

I ran this race last year when I was also in marathon training and ran great until I got a terrible side stitch during mile 9 that I had to walk off. That kind of derailed me for the rest of the race.

PR is 1:22:36 (6:19 pace) which I set in 2015 a month before my PR marathon.  Although I usually am hyper-focused on PRs, that wasn’t the goal this time for several reasons.  First, I had a series of excellent tempo runs and marathon pace runs that 2015 summer. I’ve never felt as strong of a runner as I did then.  This cycle, tempos have been hard and not that fast and I only have tried one long run with fast miles. I ran those mainly in the 6:40s and they were hard enough.  Another concern is that my PR half measured a little short (about 13.07) while the Garmin measured over 13.2 at this race last year. Although we know GPS isn’t exact, I knew I’d probably be “behind” again making my pace checks and splits not as strong as they showed.  Finally, there is a killer hill during mile 11 that I would surely lose time on. It’s less than 100 feet in elevation which is laughable to some of you but that’s a beast for a Midwestern flatlander like me.

However, there were a few signs that I might do well.  I ran a pretty good 5K last weekend without any 5K specific training.  Also, with a mileage frontloaded week, I noticed that my natural pace was responding well with some shorter mileage runs the last few days.  I was accidentally running some miles in the low 7s which I’ve learned over the years is a good sign.

I decided to set a goal of keeping under 6:30 pace which would be my second or third best half marathon time.

Weather was good for this one.  It was about 30 at the start climbing to about 40 at the end.  Sunny with only about a 5 mph wind.

Mile 1: 6:21

Mile 2: 6:19

This race was a combined half marathon and 5K.  The 5K runners split off around mile 2. I noticed I was running faster than I planned but I was feeling OK and I didn’t feel like running slower than the other runners around me.

Mile 3: 6:23

As I ran with an older runner for a while, I joked to him about how he was squeaking with every step.

“Orthotic inserts,” he said, “Something you get to look forward to when you get older.”  Guessing who he was from the results, he’s only 4 years older than me. Routinely I’m shocked how old I am.

Mile 4: 6:19

Mile 5: 6:21

We merged back into the 5K runners here who were on their last mile.  I was focused on running near perfect tangents but it was impossible here.  I got reprimanded by a volunteer for running outsides the cones. I had passed a few runners over the last few miles and passed an additional two young guys in matching singlets.

Mile 6: 6:10

There was a steep, quad-pounding downhill here that helps with the pace but I know I have to go back up the hill to the west on mile 11 so that reminder makes it suck.  We went off the streets here onto a nature path (paved) that would wind around a lake for the next several miles.

Mile 7: 6:12

There were two runners immediately ahead.  I passed one of them when he decided to walk after getting water.  I skipped the station like I did all the others since it was cold enough for me not to need anything.  I followed the other runner for a while and was debating whether to pass him. I was running faster than planned and didn’t want that feeling of having to be re-passed later.  However, there was something about his body shape (he was bigger, stronger guy compared to a wispy thin runner like me) and something about the sweat on his back made me want to pass him.  So I did.

Mile 8: 6:08

Even running faster I heard the footsteps of the runner behind me.  I couldn’t seem to shake him.

Mile 9: 6:17

This was the mile I got the side stitch last year and I was irrationally nervous as I passed the same spot.  I thought I passed it and sensed relief. I still heard the footsteps behind me. There are a few runners ahead maybe around 100 to 200 yards including who I knew was the first place woman. They were running strong and I didn’t really consider catching them.

Mile 10: 6:19

Suddenly a side stitch came on.  It wasn’t too bad though and I immediately went into comically deep pronounced breathing and it subsided.  There is a U-turn in this mile and to my surprise the footsteps behind me weren’t coming from the guy I passed but a 36 year-old woman.  The guy is now another 100 yards back from her. She followed me the rest of the way and at the end thanked me for “pulling” her through while apparently elated with her time.  She said she just fixated her eyes on the back of my shirt and kept on going. It’s nice to help someone without trying.

Mile 11: 6:23

This was the mile with the hill I was dreading the whole race.  I had a plan though. I was going to try @JShare87’s trick and, out loud, tell myself “I’m a bad mutha####er” as I started up the hill.  I tried a few times, “I’m a…”, “I’m a…”, but that’s a lot of syllables in a row to say while trying to run up a hill at a fast pace and I couldn’t do it.  Oh, well, I still made it up the hill.

Mile 12: 6:12

Another side stitch started but I was able to parry again.

MIle 13: 6:09

Toward the end of this mile I noticed I was still under 1:20 in time and for the first time I wondered if I might PR.  Since the course was measuring long on the Garmin again, I had assumed I would be behind but I tried to do the math and realized it would be close (but, I thought, still unobtainable).

Final .18 on Garmin: 6:03 pace

I tried to pick up the pace but I didn’t have much left.  I saw the clock in the distance slowly tick past my PR.

Official time 1:22:38 (two seconds slower than my PR).  13/524, 2/41 in AG.
Awesome write-up and race. Thanks for the shoutout! Really glad to see you run to your ability in this race. After checking Strava and this forum, I would say we are all a bunch of bad mutha******. So many quality runs and races, this group is top-notch.

Driscoll's Strawberry Classic 10k

I don't think I can match @Juxtatarot's race report so I am not going to even attempt it.  Very impressive gb.  :thumbup:

The race was near USF in the city of Temple Terrace.  It was the first of 2 races for the 15k challenge.  The course itself is awesome.  While an open course, there was very little traffic at the 7:15 start and all drivers in the particular neighborhoods I was in were very courteous.  There are a couple of parks and a golf course I skirted in the middle and the end of the course.  I actually felt pretty good.  The toe (lefty) seemed to be just fine throughout the entire race.  The heel lock lacing really makes a huge difference and it was comfortable as can be.  I was off my PR pace for 10k by about 4 minutes or so iirc.  Last year I ran this race about 8-10 minutes slower.  This year I had roughly 8-9 minutes before the 5k started so I know I improved.  No big deal for this one.  I was taking it easy throughout.  There were a couple of rolling hills and the finish line was above an incline as well.  Not like the 4% fun I had a few weeks ago, but an incline nonetheless.  All in all a pretty smooth race.  My mile times actually seemed pretty consistent which bodes well for me in my next race in the Keys 4 weeks from now.   

Driscoll's Strawberry Classic 5k

I actually did treat this race like a recovery run.  There were twice as many folks in this one as the 10k (shocker) and I was just looking to finish and relax.  I ended up running into this lady I have seen in many races and her pace was similar to mine (maybe slightly slower).  We talked pretty much the whole race about our races and current and upcoming schedules.  It was nice to have this kind of chat whereas I was mostly on my own for the 10k.  A slow time for me, but again, no big deal.  My focus is on the Keys race and this was the last race in a 4 week cycle of races.  

I just added up the total race miles I have run over the last 4 weekends and it comes out to almost 43 miles.  Dang.   :lol:   The plan for the next few weeks is to keep running, but adding some some much needed gym time back into the mix.  I have actually been spending more time adding in lower body circuit and free weight work. Running will be a mix of shorter and longer runs until mid-April.  The plan is also to take it easy and have some recovery time as well.  Mrs. O was at the finish for both races yesterday and I yelled to her when I finished the 5k "4 week vacation!!!".  Lol.  I do need some time off.  Nothing planned yet for Fall (although I do have some ideas) and no races during the Summer (aka Florida hell) except one I may have a leftover registration for.  Great seeing all of you kicking ### out there.  I will continue to improve over time through dedication and persistence, but you all are to thank for motivating me to keep going.  Once again, most appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread