Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

3 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Anyone else enjoy running on the painted lines in the road? During my runs I’ve realized, I really enjoy running on long straight aways. While on the long straight aways, I enjoy taking to the bike lane and staying on the painted line. Not sure why, but when I get on a nice straight away with a painted line, I get this laser focus and run so much better. I know this sounds really weird, just thought I’d share. Anyone else do this?

not me but it's mostly related to how slippery they are in winter....... and since it's winter here 9 months a year :(

13 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Not sure I deserved this, but I can’t disagree. About to head out for a long one. No clue how far or fast, just going to run and enjoy this beautiful weather while it lasts. Have fun out there, fellas!

Just busting your sack a little bit.

Just nice to run in some warm air after a LONG cold winter in KC. Down here for a long weekend, and have gotten two great runs in the last two days.

Ms. Chief even joined me today for a 3 miler on the beach. It was wonderful to run with a warm sun on our faces.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Anyone else enjoy running on the painted lines in the road? During my runs I’ve realized, I really enjoy running on long straight aways. While on the long straight aways, I enjoy taking to the bike lane and staying on the painted line. Not sure why, but when I get on a nice straight away with a painted line, I get this laser focus and run so much better. I know this sounds really weird, just thought I’d share. Anyone else do this?

Sounds like one of my nightmares.  :sleep:

Roads are for :drive:!  Hit the trails JShare, and stare at anything other than a straight long line.  :hifive:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Intereting

i don’t like running on any painted line. If feels like an unnatural surface. Also feels a bit slippery, even though of course it isn’t. 

13 hours ago, bushdocda said:

Cliffs - didn’t #### myself or hurt my groin ?

Extended Race recap

Marine Corp 17.75k

This is my second go at this race that with a finish prequalifies you for entry into the Marine marathon without lottery.  This my two step plan for last year and when my race reminder sign up in my outlook calendar went off a few months back I couldn’t resist trying to get a slot in the race that fills in about 7 minutes. I wasn’t planning on running the Marine corp marathon in October again this year but that may have changed.  Been training pain free for about 6-8 weeks or so but last month has been pretty good. Expectations were going to be in line with last year time wise and to keep myself in some semblance of control to not blow my trail half in April by jacking up my groin again. My fitness has been getting better and I was optimistic I could push it a bit. Then strangely on Friday at 2am I woke up with a nauseous knot in my stomach and fought a stomach thing for the next 12 hours. Felt better and hit the road for packet pick and my dumpy $80 hotel and was stoked when my hunger came back on the 90 min ride. Drank a ton of seltzer and water and after packet pickup tried to sleep in my stinky motel room. Woke up before the hoops games were even over and then eventually fell asleep again and was up around 445.  Geared up in shorts and long sleeve with balaclava thing in it and a drop layer of sweats as it was 27* and race start at 0700.

Start - through mile 3 was smooth - I was up further in the crowd to start than last year (no corrals) and by 1.5 it was thinned out and I was warm. 

Mile 3 drops a good bit and mile 4 rises pretty significantly and this is where the real start is. I was burning more than I wanted to be here bc I stupidly stress-ran hills earlier in the week.  Grinded it out and hit some water at some point at the top. 

Miles 5-9 I’m really hearing the pain all around me and I’m staying smooth and resisting a pace that’s too fast bc some chunky rock trail up downs are still out there. I didn’t bring music and soaked in the cold air breathing and gasps. I wasn’t hurting as bad as them. I had part of a goo somewhere in here  just before a water spot to wash it down. 

Final push through mile 11 was where in my mind I thought I’d burn it up but it just wasn’t happening with the hills chopping my down. Was pleased to be passing folks and kept a fast cadence moving as my main thought (other than hating this one dude who I kept passing on uphills and he’d catch me on downhills, ####).  Pretty sure last year I said I need to get better at running downhill.  Other noteworthy runners- Phone guy who took a call around mile 5 to shoot the #### with someone waiting at the finish.  And another gent I named the ‘Yes breather’ as he said ‘yes’ with each exhale. WTF. I got the #### away from him. 

Finale and what’s next

I was officially 32 seconds faster than last year and was 8:33 per mile and pleased with my GAP on strava. I am pleased with the year over year time and pleased to be sitting here feeling good and not trashed like last year. Snuck in top 10% of ~2800 finishers. Heart rate monitor consistency has been really bad in the cold lately and has me frustrated but it did pick me up at 192 at one point today which is my highest I’ve seen.  Fun. 

So with the finish I have an entry to the Oct 28 MCM and I was going to defer this year as I wanted to target something new like Richmond or Philly this fall. But turns out my 10 yr anniversary is the weekend of Richmond and we’re going somewhere so I want to target sept/oct race so I’m not a freak show on our trip. So now I will sign up and book at hotel for DC in Oct and perhaps not defer or if I do something in Sept the driveable options include the Steamtown in Scranton or a trail marathon in Alexandria, VA (Chessie Trail??). Nearer term I’m excited for next race in just under a month.

Thanks for the support, advice and being cool.  It means a lot.

:pickle:

Awesome RR. Great run and finish. Congratz!

12 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Sounds like one of my nightmares.  :sleep:

Roads are for :drive:!  Hit the trails JShare, and stare at anything other than a straight long line.  :hifive:

What about animals on those trails?  The viscous Mountain Lions, Mountain Cats, and Mountain Goats?

Just finished run here in Puerto Vallarta. I was up early due to time change and drinking in the sun caused me to wipe just after ncaa games. So I start before the sun is up in an area I've never been to before. I see this group of people across the street with music pumping and I'm initially nervous if this is a street party still continuing from Saturday night .  Turns out it's a race as I see the inflatable starting line. Octavo Medio Maraton.. Oh a marathon!  (thinks for a minute) Idiot. Half marathon. 

I jog with other runners around a track near starting line then I continue a little further to run by Ocean since race won't be starting yet. As I return back, I see runners bunching up, so I watch the start of the half. They are heading down the road to my hotel and have the streets blocked. So like anyone else here would do, I jump in with the runners and do about a mile in the race. 

If I had pesos on me, I would have done the 5k but it was still way better than I thought this Sunday morning would go. 

Time to resume margaritas. 

• Like 13

On 3/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, El Floppo said:

Kind of a weird one today. 

NYC 1/2 ran through my hood today, so other guy and I were going to meet up with another friend who was running the half as he came through, about m5. 

That was the idea at least. Of course being NYC, guy actual started 40mins after his allotted start time. It's 28deg, so we ran around a mile or so while waiting, but didn't want to miss him and the opportunity to run on the FDR drive and times square. 

He finally shows, and we jump in for 10:30s with him- fun to be back in a race environment. I had to get home, so bailed out after 2.5 (FDR, but no times square). Ran back down the East River to home... Another 2.5, but decided to spin the legs out and go at more of a race pace. The legs remembered what to do- exactly 7:45s the rest of the way. Felt good to see the consistency of the pace and to push part conversational pace.

The third wheel was back with us and could only go an hour.. so we did 5+ @ 10:30s. After letting the legs go a little last week, they were ready to open up again... Had to force myself to go slower to stay with the group.

There was talk of Disney, Hartford or Philly marathons... maybe.

I also didn't #### myself...much.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brony said:

Just finished run here in Puerto Vallarta. I was up early due to time change and drinking in the sun caused me to wipe just after ncaa games. So I start before the sun is up in an area I've never been to before. I see this group of people across the street with music pumping and I'm initially nervous if this is a street party still continuing from Saturday night .  Turns out it's a race as I see the inflatable starting line. Octavo Medio Maraton.. Oh a marathon!  (thinks for a minute) Idiot. Half marathon. 

I jog with other runners around a track near starting line then I continue a little further to run by Ocean since race won't be starting yet. As I return back, I see runners bunching up, so I watch the start of the half. They are heading down the road to my hotel and have the streets blocked. So like anyone else here would do, I jump in with the runners and do about a mile in the race. 

If I had pesos on me, I would have done the 5k but it was still way better than I thought this Sunday morning would go. 

Time to resume margaritas. 

Viva la Vida!

• Like 1

Just got home from our relay race.  I'll write up a report a bit later.  Ended up finishing in 4th because our 2nd leg missed a turn and decided to do an 8k leg instead of a 7k leg and added about 10 minutes to our time getting back on track :wall:  Would have finished in 3rd otherwise but doesn't really matter as there was only hardware for 1st anyway.

I tried to make up time and came out faster than I should have and faded toward the end so didn't end up running negative splits.  Still ran fine but was hoping I could have been a little faster.  My GAP was right around 7:45. 

Anyway, I'll write up the RR in a bit, but overall can't complain with my effort today.

• Like 10

Relay and Run for 21 Race Report --

This run is a smaller local run to support Down Syndrome.  As our last race was early December and I otherwise didn't have anything until the long trail relay in June, this was a perfect race to have something in the meantime.  Plus, it's close to home and part of the route is where I normally run.  It is a 21K run (i.e. Half Marathon), 21K relay (what we did) and 7K run along with a 2.1K walk to keep along with the 21 theme for Down Syndrome.  I'd say there were a few hundred runners total.  The relay team that won it last year ran it at ~7:00 min pace and they were running again so I knew we weren't going to win this thing but wanted to have fun with it and see what kind of improvements I made.  My wife and guy from work that I work out with (the guy that does competitive tri's and adventure races) were the other 2. 

Race start at 7:30am and it's only 1.5 miles from our house.  We initially were going to jog there as a warm up but my wife decided she wanted to just drive there.  As I was running the 3rd leg and would have plenty of time to warm up if I wanted, I didn't really care.  Business got taken care of and out the door about 6:45, got there, parked, and at race start area by 7am.  It was a bit cooler than anticipated at 35 degrees but not terrible.  Not too much wind, partly cloudy, overall nothing terrible. 

My wife runs the 1st leg and finishes just after 35 minutes (8:05 pace).  She said she wasn't quite feeling it this morning and her watch showed an average HR in the 140's with a max of like 156.  I'm glad she had a nice jog this morning :wall:.  She got faster as the race went on, but her 1st mile was like 8:30 (the rest were closer to 8:00).  I know she's capable of better and could have run as fast as me but overall it was fine.  Then our 2nd leg went out.  About 15 minutes into the run I get a text on my phone and it's him.  It's a picture of a map with his location a good bit north of the route and he goes "Apparently missed my turn".  :wall: This is a guy that does adventure races too!  Oh well.  So now I have no idea when he's going to cross.  Ends up coming across about 10 minutes later than expected (he normally runs in the low 7's).  As we're waiting for him, we see another team send off their final leg runner and my wife goes "well, we won't be catching them".  I'm thinking "Ok, challenge accepted".

He finally comes across, I get the ankle bracelet timer and get going:

Mile 1 -- 7:45 pace

I take off pretty quickly, almost at a sprint, come around the first corner and already greeted with an uphill.  None of the hills on this route were terrible except the very end but there were also virtually no flat areas.  It was just a constant up and down all 4 miles except toward the end.  I looked down about a minute into my run and see 6:30 so I quickly back it down and try to settle in especially with the first 3/10ths of the mile a steady slow uphill.  The one good thing at this point is that because of the delay, it's now mostly slower people running so I started picking off people left and right.  I'd say I passed at least 25 people during my run and wasn't passed by anyone.  That motivation certainly helped for the first couple miles.  Aside from one quick downhill that I went pretty fast down (for me), it was a net uphill for almost the entire 1st mile.  It passed pretty uneventfully.  I was working a bit but in that comfortably uncomfortable state.  I wanted to see if I could keep it up so I didn't back off.

Mile 2 -- 7:45 pace

1st half of this mile is downhill and the 2nd half is almost all uphill.  About halfway through this 2nd mile I already see the chick my wife said I wasn't going to catch that started almost 2 minutes ahead of me.  You can see a nice spike in my pace as I went after her and passed her.  With that out of the way, now it was just a matter of seeing if I could hold where I was and have enough left to go harder toward the end.  Not much else happens in mile 2.

Mile 3 -- 7:55 pace

The most up and downs of the course.  I tried to push on the downhills and not let up too much on the uphills but I knew my pace was slowing just a little.  But, I also knew the 4th mile coming up is where I run all the time and it's pretty flat so I figured I'd try and keep it right about here and then work hard in the 4th mile.  I passed a few more people throughout this mile which ended up leaving me without anyone near me towards the end of it and into mile 4.  Towards the end of this mile I can feel myself starting to get pretty tired. 

Mile 4 -- 8:06 pace

This was pretty disappointing.  As I said above, this is mostly a flat mile that I know very well and run routinely.  There was no one around me and I kind of lost some motivation at this point.  I was feeling tired and just started slowing down figuring I'd pick it up soon but just never got that urge to really start hurting.  In hindsight, I probably could have run this faster.  I wasn't checking my pace throughout this mile and if I did I think I would have pushed a bit more.  I thought I was running the same as I was before but clearly wasn't.  Oh well.

Final 0.3 miles -- 7:51 pace

The last part of this has a decent uphill before the final downhill around a corner.  I'm feeling pretty spent here but as I got up to the top of the hill over the last 1/10th of a mile or so I see this chick a good 75 yards ahead of me or so and she's not finishing strong.  Without even realizing it I broke into a full sprint with the intention that I was going to pass her before she crossed the line.  I got up to a 5:00 pace for that last 1/10th and could hear a couple people cheering for me to pass her as I went flying by her and beat her over the line.  So, at least there was that. 

Final time -- 34:17 (7:53 pace)

I ended up topping my fastest mile and fastest 2 miles during this run.  My 5K time (and overall pace) was almost identical to my first race 5K back in October, so considering the extra distance, I'm a bit faster than I was then.  My GAP on this run was 7:44 which is about where I thought I could be.  7:30 wasn't happening at all.  I'm just not there yet.  The elevation on Strava showed 255 feet which is over 100 more than I thought it was going to be and certainly felt like it.  I think I could have done a little better both in coming out a little slower as well as pushing harder during that 4th mile but overall I'm happy with how things went.  While I'm faster than I was a few months ago, I'm not THAT much faster and I think at this point I just need to get way more miles in.  It was a good measure to see that bit of improvement but to also give some motivation to get that time down.  I'd like to be able to do something like this at a 7:30 pace and run longer races under 8:00 so that's what I'll be working on the next few months as I'm just not there yet. 

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and following along and advice heading into this.  I get to try some new shoes this week and will start doing some 2-a-days to practice for the upcoming relay on June 2nd.  It looks like we've added a couple pretty fast guys to our team and might have a shot at winning.  It's 6 guys and we are all over 40 so will be competing in the Masters division.  Last year's winners in that division averaged ~8:00 pace over the 82 miles.  Two of the guys run ~7:00 over long distances, another is mid 7's, and the 2 slower guys are around 8:30 and 9:15.  So, I need to try and get at 8:00 or under for my runs and could end up being the deciding factor on if we win this thing or not.  The motivation is there and my next 2 months I'm going to try and get some good work in. 

ETA -- If you look at my run on Strava, check out the Fly-By and watch Diane.  That is who I passed at the finish.  Slow it down to ~10x speed at the end and you can actually see me go flying by her at the finish.  It's pretty funny.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 14

On 3/24/2018 at 4:54 PM, SFBayDuck said:

Speaking of crazy, Barkley kicked off this morning. Sounds like 6 runners are now on the second loop, not sure If any more have a chance to beat the cutoff. And if you haven’t seen the Netflix doc, go watch it right now. Do it. 

No finishers this year. Gary Robbins missed the loop 3 cutoff by 12 minutes (36:12), so he gets credit for a “Fun Run”.  Only one other runner was even out there trying to finish loop 3, and the 40 hour fun run cutoff just passed for Guillaume Calmettes and he’s still out there somewhere. 

One more week to go

M - 6 recovery @ 8:18, after logging 20 @ 7:10 the day before I was doing some internal fist pumps once I saw this pace.

Tu - first rest day since March 1 and honestly didn't feel like I needed it.

W lunch - 6 @ 8:03 + 20 mins strength training, GA was supposed to include pick ups but running into a stiff north wind in 20some degree temps sapped my energy so I called an audible.

W pm - 4 recovery @ 8:29

Th - 12 MLR @ 7:32, poor sleep the night before led to some major fatigue throughout the day - and I battled an upset stomach from about mile 5 on.  I was very happy just to finish this damn thing.

F - 5 recovery @ 8:21 + 20 mins strength training

Sa - was supposed to be 10 at goal marathon pace, but despite my best efforts to hold back I ended up a little faster than I wanted - 10 @ 6:44 + 1 WU/CD.

Su - 17 @ 7:23, was every bit of a grind as it was supposed to be.  The pace wasn't too vigorous and I didn't feel like I worked too hard, but my body felt every bit of the previous day's workout.

Total - 61 miles @ 7:37 pace

The miles are piling up and the pace keeps coming down - in a good spot right now, but still 7-8 days to go til the taper.  And I'm bailing on my plan to do 10 @ GMP then 20 the next day to finish this training cycle.  Miles 12-15 yesterday were going to seal that fate and my body wasn't too happy during that stage.  Nothing note worthy in of itself but hips were tightening off-and-on, change of direction was not fluid and required more effort than normal, feet felt weird more than a couple of times, hams were not just barking on inclines, calves felt twingy...battling through 4-5 miles like that is good for race prep, but 7-8 miles is just asking for an injury.  I'm still doing both workouts, but I'm going to split them up.  

Now, let's pop some :popcorn: for Carmel.

• Like 11

Nice run @gianmarco, and awesome race report too.  Also, props for entering an event supporting a great cause. That’s the trifecta right there!  :thumbup:

• Like 4

21 hours ago, gianmarco said:

My wife runs the 1st leg and finishes just after 35 minutes (8:05 pace).  She said she wasn't quite feeling it this morning and her watch showed an average HR in the 140's with a max of like 156.  I'm glad she had a nice jog this morning :wall:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Nice job, @gianmarco!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

One more week to go

M - 6 recovery @ 8:18, after logging 20 @ 7:10 the day before I was doing some internal fist pumps once I saw this pace.

Tu - first rest day since March 1 and honestly didn't feel like I needed it.

W lunch - 6 @ 8:03 + 20 mins strength training, GA was supposed to include pick ups but running into a stiff north wind in 20some degree temps sapped my energy so I called an audible.

W pm - 4 recovery @ 8:29

Th - 12 MLR @ 7:32, poor sleep the night before led to some major fatigue throughout the day - and I battled an upset stomach from about mile 5 on.  I was very happy just to finish this damn thing.

F - 5 recovery @ 8:21 + 20 mins strength training

Sa - was supposed to be 10 at goal marathon pace, but despite my best efforts to hold back I ended up a little faster than I wanted - 10 @ 6:44 + 1 WU/CD.

Su - 17 @ 7:23, was every bit of a grind as it was supposed to be.  The pace wasn't too vigorous and I didn't feel like I worked too hard, but my body felt every bit of the previous day's workout.

Total - 61 miles @ 7:37 pace

The miles are piling up and the pace keeps coming down - in a good spot right now, but still 7-8 days to go til the taper.  And I'm bailing on my plan to do 10 @ GMP then 20 the next day to finish this training cycle.  Miles 12-15 yesterday were going to seal that fate and my body wasn't too happy during that stage.  Nothing note worthy in of itself but hips were tightening off-and-on, change of direction was not fluid and required more effort than normal, feet felt weird more than a couple of times, hams were not just barking on inclines, calves felt twingy...battling through 4-5 miles like that is good for race prep, but 7-8 miles is just asking for an injury.  I'm still doing both workouts, but I'm going to split them up.  

Now, let's pop some :popcorn: for Carmel.

Some smoking fast workouts.  Tell me again what race your'e doing and what's your goal?

• Like 1

It's race week!!  :excited::excited::excited:

Not much running left to do.  Just 4 miles today, 6 miles with a little mini workout tomorrow, and 4 on Wednesday.  SRD on Thursday, and then all that's left between me and the starting line are a couple of easy shakeout miles on Friday afternoon in Carmel.

Right now I'm just focusing on rest, hydration, and diet.  I felt weak on my 11-miler on Saturday, which tells me that I'm not getting enough calories and/or carbs.  So I'll increase the calorie intake a bit this week and up to the carbs to 60-70% of my diet.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Not much running left to do.  Just 4 miles today, 6 miles with a little mini workout tomorrow, and 4 on Wednesday.  SRD on Thursday, and then all that's left between me and the starting line are a couple of easy shakeout miles on Friday afternoon in Carmel.

Right now I'm just focusing on rest, hydration, and diet.  I felt weak on my 11-miler on Saturday, which tells me that I'm not getting enough calories and/or carbs.  So I'll increase the calorie intake a bit this week and up to the carbs to 60-70% of my diet.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

Are you going with your old #23 jersey or are you going to switch to #45?

• Like 8

Just now, Ned said:

Are you going with your old #23 jersey or are you going to switch to #45?

LMAO.  It really does feel like I'm coming out of retirement.  It's been 3-1/2 years since I legit raced a marathon!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Some smoking fast workouts.  Tell me again what race your'e doing and what's your goal?

Toledo - April 22.

Plan is to get into Boston (3:10, but really 3:05ish?), aggressive plan is sub 3.  Actual strategy is going to depend on mother nature but in optimal conditions I'll do the first half around 6:55, consider increasing pace 5-10 seconds until 20, then re-assess.  I started off too fast in my first and only BQ attempt Fall 16 (first half 1:27), but weather played a huge role in that risky endeavor.  Now I have an extra 5 minutes to play with, but more importantly I'm in a better training position now than I ever was during that cycle. 

I hesitate to eval training in winter vs. summer from a timing perspective, but I went over the edge amidst week 11 that year - the week prior I had done my second 20 miler (8:03 w/a fast finish) but only one other workout at a net sub 8 pace - 64 weekly miles was a career high though.  Compare that to the last two weeks - 126 total miles w/a 20 @ 7:10, 17 @ 7:23, mile repeats, 10 @ 6:44, and 12 @ 7:32.  The devil side of me is saying you can probably go faster and go get sub 3, but I'm trying to keep the main goal front and center - just get to Boston.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Nice job, @gianmarco!

Seriously, no ####.

I just got home from working overnight:

Me:. "Man, my legs are pretty sore".

Her: "Oh, really? Mine aren't. Maybe tomorrow they will be"

Me: "I doubt it" :rolleyes:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Toledo - April 22.

Plan is to get into Boston (3:10, but really 3:05ish?), aggressive plan is sub 3.  Actual strategy is going to depend on mother nature but in optimal conditions I'll do the first half around 6:55, consider increasing pace 5-10 seconds until 20, then re-assess.  I started off too fast in my first and only BQ attempt Fall 16 (first half 1:27), but weather played a huge role in that risky endeavor.  Now I have an extra 5 minutes to play with, but more importantly I'm in a better training position now than I ever was during that cycle. 

I hesitate to eval training in winter vs. summer from a timing perspective, but I went over the edge amidst week 11 that year - the week prior I had done my second 20 miler (8:03 w/a fast finish) but only one other workout at a net sub 8 pace - 64 weekly miles was a career high though.  Compare that to the last two weeks - 126 total miles w/a 20 @ 7:10, 17 @ 7:23, mile repeats, 10 @ 6:44, and 12 @ 7:32.  The devil side of me is saying you can probably go faster and go get sub 3, but I'm trying to keep the main goal front and center - just get to Boston.

All this sounds right and wise to me based on what I've seen in your training.  I think you'll "fell good" and have an excellent negative split but it makes sense to be cautious.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Toledo - April 22.

All this sounds right and wise to me based on what I've seen in your training.  I think you'll "fell good" and have an excellent negative split but it makes sense to be cautious. 

@MAC_32, I agree with Juxt and I think you have a good plan in mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Who's doing Carmel other than @gruecd?

I don't think anyone.  Somebody( @ChiefD?) talked about maybe doing the half, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

4 hours ago, gruecd said:

Make sure you eat some rice! Also, don’t discount the importance of a good pair of socks. Best of luck! Show us how it’s done.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gruecd said:

Great race, @bushdocda!

Thanks @gruecd - enjoy the big week!

edit - a camels humps are comprised mainly of fat

Edited by bushdocda
Knowledge
  • Like 1

Strava dudes - did we get a new, more attractive, group member lately? The not safe for work type?

3 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Strava dudes - did we get a new, more attractive, group member lately? The not safe for work type?

I think it's been a month or two since Tri-man joined us.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

I think it's been a month or two since Tri-man joined us.

If that's tri-man, I'm throughly impressed.

And a little confused ..

• Like 1

having not seen the new addition to the Strava group, but having met @tri-man 47, if the new addition is "impressive" then that's definitely him :wub:

• Like 3

Final Training Week before tapering for Boston

M – 0.7 miles to run from my hotel in NYC to my car.  9:29 pace.  No HRM.  The day after the half marathon PR.  #EveryMileCounts

Tu – 10.5 miles at 7:50 overall pace. Average HR was 149.  3 x 2 miles at 7:00 pace with 800m recovery.  1.5 miles warmup and 2 mile cool down.  Hit all paces and this was a confidence builder. The winds were brutal though. 

W – 11.3 easy (9:12) pace and 127 HR. It was cold, dark and windy.  Not fun.  Ready for spring.

Th – 12.1 with 10 at Marathon Pace (7:10).  Overall average pace was 7:29 with 153 HR.  This one was really hard. Just about hit all the paces (had a 7:11 and 2 7:12’s).  The rest were 7:05 to 7:10.  I could really feel the cumulative fatigue in this run.

F – Easy 11.2 miles at 9:22 and 128 HR. – Easy run that I extended to get a few extra miles.  I like to go double digits the day before the long run to really do that long run on tired legs.

Sa – 21.54 miles at 7:48 with 147 HR. This was very cool.  I took a free bus (compliments of New Balance) from the finish line to mile 5ish of the marathon.  They dropped us off and 150 of us ran the last 21.5 miles of the course.  I started with 3 warmup miles in 8:37, 8:21, and 8:36.  Then it was time to do the next 16 at 7:40 or below.  The first 8 were between 7:30 and 7:40.  Then I got into the hills and put down 7:52, 7:41, 7:34, 7:38 and 7:42 in the hills. (Funny story about the hills…..I know there are four hills.  I get done with the first one…tough.  Second one was okay…..third one I catch a couple guys who are clearly out for a leisurely jog – turns out one of them is shooting for sub-3.  Anyway, I’m thinking to myself, hill #3 is rough.  I get to the top and start picking up speed on the downhill to bank time for hill #4 – Heartbreak Hill.  Welp, I look to my right and there is Boston College.  Apparently I ran over heartbreak hill and didn’t realize it as I was talking to those guys.  Hope race day turns out the same.)  With my banked time, I decide to push in the last three.  7:24, 7:11 and 7:05.  I felt good and might have been able to do another one sub 7:10, but didn’t.  Finished with 2.5 miles of easy cool down. 

More importantly, I need to share the scene.  There were literally THOUSANDS of runners.  There was music playing.  Maybe 50 water stops in the 21 miles.  Police officers who were directing traffic, in some areas they closed a lane of traffic so there was enough room for runners. Admittedly, most of the runners seemed to be charity runners.  I think I was passed a total of 3 times in nearly 3 hours, so a lot more slower runners out there.  Many of the charities organize/sponsor busses for people.  Regardless, very cool environment.

Su – 9.1 miles at 8:50ish on treadmill.  Average HR was 111.  Treadmill was on -3% decline to work the quads and just try to let the legs cruise.  Easy run and watched NCAA hoops.

Total – 76.5 miles.  Highest of this training cycle.  Time to Taper

• Like 11

Great race reports! 

@gianmarco - way to catch that woman.  Fun report to read.

@bushdocda - nice job on the improvement!  Great report.  If you have questions about Philadelphia Marathon, @Ned and I ran it together back in 2012.  Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

having not seen the new addition to the Strava group, but having met @tri-man 47, if the new addition is "impressive" then that's definitely him :wub:

:oldunsure:  "his" only activity is a 28.2 mile run at a 1:03 pace. 

Also the NSFW picture was removed. It was quite impressive. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Great race reports! 

@gianmarco - way to catch that woman.  Fun report to read.

@bushdocda - nice job on the improvement!  Great report.  If you have questions about Philadelphia Marathon, @Ned and I ran it together back in 2012.  Happy to answer any questions.

Holding hands?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Holding hands?

Ha.....nope.  It was the first time we had met.  I don't do that on a first run. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:
15 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Holding hands?

Ha.....nope.  It was the first time we had met.  I don't do that on a first run. 

Although, our first phone conversation was while I was taking a dump in the porto-pot.  :wub: 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, -OZ- said:

:ph34r:

16 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Yeah, the pron trolls have made their way to Strava.  I gained a new follower yesterday that I would be very, very happy to....ummmm....follow.  :blush:

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 0:10 PM, gianmarco said:

My wife runs the 1st leg and finishes just after 35 minutes (8:05 pace).  She said she wasn't quite feeling it this morning and her watch showed an average HR in the 140's with a max of like 156.  I'm glad she had a nice jog this morning :wall:.  

:lmao: This just cracked me up. 

Man, your running has just gotten better and better. You might be addicted now.  Great race and report.

T minus 18 months until your first marathon. :yes:

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 7:14 PM, bushdocda said:

Cliffs - didn’t #### myself or hurt my groin ?

I was officially 32 seconds faster than last year

Two very important things to come out of your race. Awesome job. :thumbup:

• Like 3