Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

11 minutes ago, gruecd said:

LOL at "doing the camel"  :lmao::lmao::lmao:

You stating in Carmel, monterrey, or other? Love that part of the world. Great wine and phenomenal scenery. Really love that Lobos park by Camel. 

19 hours ago, gruecd said:

I don't think anyone.  Somebody( @ChiefD?) talked about maybe doing the half, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

That was my original plan, but not gonna happen obviously. 

Actually, my original, original plan was to actually try and do the marathon there as my final marathon. But another marathon is just not in the cards. I have a half coming up on April 12th, so we will see how that goes. 

That bad half I ran in October was going to be my final, but I signed up for this one because that last one left such a bad taste in my mouth. But as I am coming to realize, distance running is just not going to work for me. Any time I start to feel gains, something happens where it knocks me back and I am starting from scratch again. And I'm not willing to just go through all this work only to be kicked in the colon time after time after time.

Even when I'm feeling good, I can't seem to ramp up my energy on certain days to even WANT to run. Or do speed work. Or do hills. Or interval work.

One thing I can seem to do on a regular basis is run nice slow miles. That trail run was fun, and part of the reason why is because I never felt I need to "race". Just run and enjoy the scenery. 

So maybe that's where I go from now on. I may just hike and run trails all summer and do a fall 10 miler or something. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Yeah, the pron trolls have made their way to Strava.  I gained a new follower yesterday that I would be very, very happy to....ummmm....follow.  :blush:

I don't even know how a pron troll would make the $$$ from following me on Strava.   #Clueless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

That was my original plan, but not gonna happen obviously. 

Actually, my original, original plan was to actually try and do the marathon there as my final marathon. But another marathon is just not in the cards. I have a half coming up on April 12th, so we will see how that goes. 

That bad half I ran in October was going to be my final, but I signed up for this one because that last one left such a bad taste in my mouth. But as I am coming to realize, distance running is just not going to work for me. Any time I start to feel gains, something happens where it knocks me back and I am starting from scratch again. And I'm not willing to just go through all this work only to be kicked in the colon time after time after time.

Even when I'm feeling good, I can't seem to ramp up my energy on certain days to even WANT to run. Or do speed work. Or do hills. Or interval work.

One thing I can seem to do on a regular basis is run nice slow miles. That trail run was fun, and part of the reason why is because I never felt I need to "race". Just run and enjoy the scenery. 

So maybe that's where I go from now on. I may just hike and run trails all summer and do a fall 10 miler or something. 

I'm telling you if you ever want to try again, I can't say enough about Hanson's.  I've been following the advanced and added some easy miles along the way, but it will make you tired, but you see tangible gains each and every week.  Its really a great program.

• Like 2

Here is an example of progress which is pretty cool. 

I ran today's run.  4x1.5 miles at 7:00 minute mile with 800m recovery.  I typically do a warm up for 1.5 miles and a cool down of 2 miles-ish.

Today, in total, I ran 10.97 miles at 7:55 pace with an average HR of 149.

On February 26, I did this EXACT same run (4x1.5 at same pace).  That day, I ran 11.02 miles at 8:07 average pace and an average HR of 152.

Can't wait for April 16.

• Like 5

i ran this on Saturday (link is the course map, not my race map).

looking at the elevation changes from the map for the course's two big hills doesn't seem all that daunting.... but i don't know if that's skewed by seeing Duck talk about thousands of feet of elevation change, etc.

all i know is the two hills are monsters. lots of people walk them. the second one is an absolute soul-sucker. it made me contemplate..... everything i've ever done in life. just drained all the energy i had. took me a solid mile to recover and get my heart rate settled again.

love the race as it has some personal meaning and the challenge of the hills (slightly different course this year... changed the total number of hills) but holy bells does it hurt.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

looking at the elevation changes from the map for the course's two big hills doesn't seem all that daunting.... but i don't know if that's skewed by seeing Duck talk about thousands of feet of elevation change, etc.

all i know is the two hills are monsters. lots of people walk them. the second one is an absolute soul-sucker. it made me contemplate..... everything i've ever done in life. just drained all the energy i had. took me a solid mile to recover and get my heart rate settled again.

love the race as it has some personal meaning and the challenge of the hills (slightly different course this year... changed the total number of hills) but holy bells does it hurt.

Looks like a good challenge.  Come down to Tampa next March and run the Skyway 10k with me. Only 4% grade for ~1.5 miles.  Good times.  Most elevation change anywhere around these parts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I don't even know how a pron troll would make the $$$ from following me on Strava.   #Clueless

You click on the link in her profile, which takes you to an entirely different kind of page....

14 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

I've done that a couple of times.  Tough race.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I've done that a couple of times.  Tough race.

i feel like it is. then some 6'3", 165 lb, 22 year old running the half marathon (similar course up until mile....... 5, i think it was?) goes flying by me at the 8 mile mark and i think maybe it's just in my head.

the pace truck literally pulled up next to me just short of 8 miles and i thought "who the #### is this guy and what is his ####### about to remark?" then he waved at me and i heard footsteps from behind... which quickly turned in to footsteps going past ... and then footsteps disappearing in the distance.

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

I remember you posting about this race being canceled last year (due to budget/safety reasons IIRC).  It's nice to see it relaunched.

Looks like some punchy climbs there. Keep in mind the different mindset in a shorter race like that of trying to push the whole way, versus an ultra where a long climb is all about just getting up efficiently.   

Nice race, congrats!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I remember you posting about this race being canceled last year (due to budget/safety reasons IIRC).  It's nice to see it relaunched.

it was! but i ran the course anyways. there was supposed to be a meet & greet of anyone that wanted to show up... i was the only person  :mellow:

was really happy to see it was being staged again this year. albeit at a different start point. the course was mostly the same.. it starts more or less at the bottom of the Niagara Escarpment, climbs up, back down, up again and then to the finish (more or less).. just this time they eliminated the long climb at the finish and replaced it with a much steeper hill near the 3/4 pole.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:09 PM, gruecd said:

I don't think anyone.  Somebody( @ChiefD?) talked about maybe doing the half, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

I had thoughts of joining you (and doing the HM), but I put off registering and then life got in the way and filled up parts of the weekend.  I think I'll target a small crowd Earth Day trail race on April 21.  They have a 5 mile, 15 mile, and 50K.  Not sure which one I might do ...

19 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Ha.....nope.  It was the first time we had met.  I don't do that [hold hands] on a first run. 

Given that the standard around these parts is an intimate foot washing on the second meeting, you might as well get right at it and break the ice on the first encounter.  

• Like 3

i feel like it is. then some 6'3", 165 lb, 22 year old running the half marathon (similar course up until mile....... 5, i think it was?) goes flying by me at the 8 mile mark and i think maybe it's just in my head.

But consider, my friend, that you've progressed from 9 year olds kicking your butt back in your early days to sleek 22 year olds.  Measurable progress.

• Like 2

Is anyone else here having difficulty finding shoes cheaply?  I used to be able to purchase last year's model of the shoe I wear (Brooks Ghost) for around $80.  The past six months or so that hasn't been the case. Everywhere I look they are $120 dollars online, I can do better at my local running store with a coupon.

11 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Is anyone else here having difficulty finding shoes cheaply?  I used to be able to purchase last year's model of the shoe I wear (Brooks Ghost) for around $80.  The past six months or so that hasn't been the case. Everywhere I look they are $120 dollars online, I can do better at my local running store with a coupon.

Did you see my recent post? Look at @gruecd recommendation for shoes at running warehouse on clearance. There's a code for more off. Getting 3 shoes tomorrow for $175 total.

31 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

I had thoughts of joining you (and doing the HM), but I put off registering and then life got in the way and filled up parts of the weekend.  I think I'll target a small crowd Earth Day trail race on April 21.  They have a 5 mile, 15 mile, and 50K.  Looking forward to it.

Fixed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Did you see my recent post? Look at @gruecd recommendation for shoes at running warehouse on clearance. There's a code for more off. Getting 3 shoes tomorrow for $175 total.

Thanks but that code didn't work for the shoes I want, I guess because they aren't on clearance.

Just now, pbm107 said:

Thanks but that code didn't work for the shoes I want, I guess because they aren't on clearance.

Use this for 10% off

runblog10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Use this for 10% off

runblog10

Thanks that didn't work either but now I got this message "Discounts not applicable. Restricted by manufacturer." I guess Brooks doesn't want anyone getting a discount on their shoes.

37 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

But consider, my friend, that you've progressed from 9 year olds kicking your butt back in your early days to sleek 22 year olds.  Measurable progress.

:lmao: truth

at the start line of this race i noticed a woman dressed in some wild neon green camo pattern... she stood out like a sore thumb. passed her pretty quickly (like first hundred yards) and didn't think twice about her again until she passed me just after i climbed the Murderhorn.

at the top of that thing i was pouring sweat like hurricane Irwin and she was dry as the Negev. i was panting and sucking wind as if taking my dying breath and she wasn't even breathing through her mouth.

she then proceeded to pull away in to the distance.

i'm not 100% certain but let's call it 95% certain that she got picked up and dropped off by a car and popped out of the woods to finish the last bit of the race. 

at least that's the story i'm telling myself to feel better

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Just bought 2 pairs of Asics Cumulus for $64.88 each last month.  (With free shipping.)

Looking for Ghost 9s?  What size?  (I'm bored.)

Edited by Juxtatarot

3 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Just bought 2 pairs of Asics Cumulus for $64.88 each last month.  (With free shipping.)

Looking for Ghost 9s?  What size?  (I'm bored.)

10.5, thanks and good luck. Ghost 9s or 10s.

Edited by pbm107
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pbm107 said:

10.5, thanks and good luck. Ghost 9s or 10s.

Ha

Same shoe (Ghost 9) and size for me please!

Edited by JAA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Wait, we’re shopping for each other now?  In that case, size 18’s here please. 

Yup, yuge.

You're just stuffing a bunch of toilet paper in the toes for the Mrs........

• Like 2

I've never paid much attention to VO2 max other than understanding the concept.  My new watch has a lot of stats one of which is a VO2 max estimate.  It has mine at 63.  How likely do you think that is to being in the ballpark of my real number?  I'm guessing it's not accurate because looking online that appears to be off the charts.

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I've never paid much attention to VO2 max other than understanding the concept.  My new watch has a lot of stats one of which is a VO2 max estimate.  It has mine at 63.  How likely do you think that is to being in the ballpark of my real number?  I'm guessing it's not accurate because looking online that appears to be off the charts.

Your ranges between various training paces seem to be much more narrow than most - you only have one run > 8 min mile pace all month and outside of races only one run < 7:15 min mile pace.  My knee jerk is that projection system evaluates your standard output and projects your peak performance with a more common, wider range in mind - so it has your vO2 max higher than you probably could reasonably do right now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Mine hovers around 54-55 during peak marathon time.  During the off times, it drops to 49-50 area.

No idea if its accurate but I figure I track the trend of whether I'm getting in better shape as the number increases even if the number may be off from reality.  I figure if its off, its off all the time.  :-)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I have had with my watch for close to 2 years and it has ranged from 55 to where it is now at 64.  I agree that it probably isn't close to the real number, but it is nice info to have as another metric to measure where you are now compared to the past.

• Like 1

I was just thinking/wondering something. I've read most of these shoes have 300-500 miles of life. When you guys are training as much as you are and running 300 miles/month, are you going through a pair of shoes every 1-2 months?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I was just thinking/wondering something. I've read most of these shoes have 300-500 miles of life. When you guys are training as much as you are and running 300 miles/month, are you going through a pair of shoes every 1-2 months?

Yeah typically I'm lucky to get 400 miles out of a pair, so I burn through a pair about every 8 weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I probably shouldn't answer, but I seem to get just 2 new pair per year.  I've been in the 2K mile range per year, so...well, you can do the math.  I haven't had an issue (yet), but whenever I go in for a new pair my shoe girl just looks at me and shakes her head.  I don't really think about it much because I haven't had an issue (yet), but maybe my strength training routine combats any issue worn out shoes may cause? maybe it's the trails I often mix in when I'm not doing race specific training? or that I wear a different pair in snow/ice/rain vs. dry roads/sidewalks? or that I vary my form depending on the conditions? or maybe it's just my running form in general?  

I dunno.  :shrug: I just go in when I notice the noise my shoes make when hitting the pavement gets louder.  (So far) it's worked for me.  Hopefully that helps, but it probably only confused you more.

8 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I probably shouldn't answer, but I seem to get just 2 new pair per year.  I've been in the 2K mile range per year, so...well, you can do the math.  I haven't had an issue (yet), but whenever I go in for a new pair my shoe girl just looks at me and shakes her head.  I don't really think about it much because I haven't had an issue (yet), but maybe my strength training routine combats any issue worn out shoes may cause? maybe it's the trails I often mix in when I'm not doing race specific training? or that I wear a different pair in snow/ice/rain vs. dry roads/sidewalks? or that I vary my form depending on the conditions? or maybe it's just my running form in general?  

I dunno.  :shrug: I just go in when I notice the noise my shoes make when hitting the pavement gets louder.  (So far) it's worked for me.  Hopefully that helps, but it probably only confused you more.

That's just crazy.

Its hard to say how long I get from shoes because I rarely run in the same pair of shoes in multiple days.   I'm constantly using different shoes (older ones on easy runs or in bad weather).  I'm now trying to track them on Strava. I'm hoping to get 400-500 on my Hokas.  But usually I get about 300 on a pair of shoes.

18 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I dunno.  :shrug: I just go in when I notice the noise my shoes make when hitting the pavement gets louder sounds like bare feet.

FYP.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I track my shoes pretty religiously, and when a pair gets close to 400 miles, they're gone...no questions asked.  At any given time, I've got 2-3 new pairs in boxes in my closet, so it's just out with the old, in with the new.

• Like 4

PS:  I have no idea why I'm even bothering being at work anymore this week.  My mind is everywhere but here.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I had thoughts of joining you (and doing the HM), but I put off registering and then life got in the way and filled up parts of the weekend.  I think I'll target a small crowd Earth Day trail race on April 21.  They have a 5 mile, 15 mile, and 50K.  Not sure which one I might do ...

Is that the same one that you, me, and @Juxtatarot did a few years ago?

I'd think about coming down, but pretty sure I'm gonna be insulating/drywalling my garage that weekend.  Good times.

Edited by gruecd

9 minutes ago, gruecd said:

PS:  I have no idea why I'm even bothering being at work anymore this week.  My mind is everywhere but here.

Do you find yourself getting up and walking around every so often? For no particular reason? 

I find myself doing this way more often during race week. :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I’m like this at work every day.  It’s how I cope.

Oooooh, my shoes just came in.

First impressions, obviously, and will need to try them out, but......

1)  Love, love, love these Saucony Kinvara shoes.  They look awesome (normally don't even care about that) and they feel like a complete dream.  I cannot wait to try them out in a little bit.  I can see these being my go-to shoe.

2)  Nike Pegasus 34.  I know I tried it on in the store and liked it and I still do.  But, I tried them again after the Saucony and it makes me appreciate #1 even more.  Tons of cushioning, though.

3)  New Balance Foam Zante....incredibly light but very little support appreciated compared to the other 2.  My first impression is that I don't know if I'm going to like it that much but I can also see it growing on me.  I've been wearing them for the last 10-15 minutes around the house and they feel better than when I first put them on. 

Finally, I'm looking forward to running in these 14's.  I've been in 13's all my life and I'm not used to that much room up in the toe box but I think it's going to make my toes feel so much better.  It doesn't feel like my foot is moving around at all inside given the extra room but we'll see once I get out there.  Of the 3, the New Balance shoes have the most room and the Saucony has the least (still a full thumbnail, though). 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

That's just crazy.

Its hard to say how long I get from shoes because I rarely run in the same pair of shoes in multiple days.   I'm constantly using different shoes (older ones on easy runs or in bad weather).  I'm now trying to track them on Strava. I'm hoping to get 400-500 on my Hokas.  But usually I get about 300 on a pair of shoes.

Similar.  I have six pairs I'm using right now, five trail and one road.  They have 15, 125, 127, 140, 264, and 375 miles currently.  The two highest mileage are both Altra Olympus, but I have another pair ready to rotate in when I retire one (they are my highly cushioned long run/ultra shoes).  The road shoes (at 15 after 4 miles today on bike path) should last me a couple of years.  

8 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Similar.  I have six pairs I'm using right now, five trail and one road.  They have 15, 125, 127, 140, 264, and 375 miles currently.  The two highest mileage are both Altra Olympus, but I have another pair ready to rotate in when I retire one (they are my highly cushioned long run/ultra shoes).  The road shoes (at 15 after 4 miles today on bike path) should last me a couple of years.  

Redundant. I don't think you needed to clarify which shoes were the road shoes :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Is that the same one that you, me, and @Juxtatarot did a few years ago?

I'd think about coming down, but pretty sure I'm gonna be insulating/drywalling my garage that weekend.  Good times.

Nope ...different race.  

As to the shoes, I don't track my mileage on them.  I tend to get a new paid a couple of times a year, so I'm sure I go more than 500 miles.  @MAC_32, my sense is that with good running form (= not heel striking), shoes can last longer.  They'll lose cushioning and spring in the forefoot, but that's different than wearing down the heel and throwing off the stride.

• Like 2

I run far less than all of you.  I usually get a good 5-6 months out of a pair so we’ll say ~1 year for rotating 2 pairs.  I imagine that will change a little moving forward.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1