What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

So, the most likely explanation is vasovagal syncope.  You can look it up but essentially you get a transient drop in your blood pressure, decrease blood flow to your head, you get light-headed and you may or may not actually briefly pass out.  Typically your heart rate will spike during this as well (tries to compensate to increase flow to your brain).  Things that can lead to it are dehydration, not eating well, getting up too quickly from lying position or seated position (esp early morning), pain, fear, and others for reasons really unknown other than it just happens.  You certainly had a few of those going on so it's pretty likely this is what happened.  This is a pretty common thing and most everyone has experienced it at least once.  That's why I was wondering if you noticed a HR spike during or shortly after this happened.

That said, the bigger concern would be something like an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).  So, if it starts happening more, you should probably get it checked out.  And, it may not be a bad idea to check anyway given how serious a runner you are to make sure all is good.  
Thanks, I think you're right.  

Regarding the heart rate, I did see a spike to 86 in the morning (up from 40s) but I'm not sure if that was right after I got up or right before I fainted.  I guess that's higher than it usually would be for easy going morning actives. 

Regarding the heart rate, I did see a spike to 86 in the morning (up from 40s) but I'm not sure if that was right after I got up or right before I fainted.  I guess that's higher than it usually would be for easy going morning actives. 
Well, it actually usually drops initially with your blood pressure which leads to the whole thing.  But, as your body responds, you see a spike or overall increase for a short period of time.  Either way, I was more just curious since you probably have a watch to even measure it.  If your weight is down, you probably are dehydrated and that will definitely contribute to it. 

Either way, good idea to not run this morning and your body is telling you to fix what's wrong.  In other words, eat better and drink more, things you already know.  Also, if it happens again, make sure you just sit down right away before you actually fall down.  There won't always be a laundry basket of soft clean clothes to fall into  :)

Juxtatarot said:
I wasn't feeling well yesterday and didn't sleep well last night.  I got up at 5:00 this morning as usual to start the morning rituals before going for a run.  First ritual is getting a cup of coffee.  After it was ready, I grabbed it and started walking through the living room about to go back upstairs.  Suddenly I felt a little light headed.  Then a lot light headed.  I tried bracing myself against the side of my couch but suddenly I'm going down.  I crashed into the coffee table before landing headfirst into a laundry basket of clean clothes.  I spilled a little coffee on me but mostly on the floor.  I then must have crawled to the stairs and I think I slept on the first few steps for a few minutes.  Afterwards, I headed to the couch to rest on that and noticed I was drenched in sweat.

I decided to skip my run since my body is obviously telling me something.  
Yikes!  Sounds like the moment passed, but that's still scary.  Hopefully you can catch up on some sleep.  (My new addictive trick is a shot of Nyquil even though I'm not congested.  It helps keep me in a good sleep all through the night.)

As I recall, you just keep your race medals in a box.  If'd you have collapsed and landed on that box instead of the laundry, that would have been quite ironic.

:yes:

But for kids.  So the above is taken with a nice size grain of salt as I don't deal with adults anymore.  Still, the principle is the same and I do see this in kids as well. 
You should have never told us this.

Now you are going to get questions for the next 20 years like:

"Hey gianmarco - can you tell me how tight my groin should be?"

"Um, gianmarco, how do I properly massage my hammy's?

"Gianmarco, how much would it cost for you to make a "trail call"? 

SayWhat? said:
On behalf of all of us living in ####ty, mediocre locales, you suck.   :rant:
yeah, you know, it's going to snow anywhere from 8 - 12" tonight in to tomorrow.. we haven't had measurable snow in a month. we've even had reasonable temps and plenty of sun.

:hot:

I was going to suggest the same thing...without the smart doctor talk.  I get this during peak training as well, I remember it happening quite a bit last summer leading into States.  I've always assumed it's largely dehydration-related, and obviously blood pressure drops when you stand up.  I've never actually fainted, but I'll stand up and get really dizzy and light headed, vision fades, and I'll either lean into a wall or sit back down to make sure I don't fall.  It happened to me for the first time this year a few hours after my run yesterday.

Be careful with this - some of you may remember a few years ago my dad fainted and hit his head on the pavement.  His next memory was almost 3 months later, which was probably for the best since those three months involved ambulance and helicopter rides, brain surgery, multiple hospital rooms, and an inpatient rehab facility.  That was followed by months of in-home physical, occupational, and speech therapies.  He's largely recovered, but he'll never be quite the same.

You should have never told us this.

Now you are going to get questions for the next 20 years like:

"Hey gianmarco - can you tell me how tight my groin should be?"

"Um, gianmarco, how do I properly massage my hammy's?

"Gianmarco, how much would it cost for you to make a "trail call"? 
That's why I don't typically advertise it around here.

That said, I figured I was mostly going to start getting questions on your kids which I can actually help with.  So yes, you can send PMs if you want (my way of giving back in this thread!).

That other stuff, ha... Good luck.

I was going to suggest the same thing...without the smart doctor talk.  I get this during peak training as well, I remember it happening quite a bit last summer leading into States.  I've always assumed it's largely dehydration-related, and obviously blood pressure drops when you stand up.  I've never actually fainted, but I'll stand up and get really dizzy and light headed, vision fades, and I'll either lean into a wall or sit back down to make sure I don't fall.  It happened to me for the first time this year a few hours after my run yesterday.

Be careful with this - some of you may remember a few years ago my dad fainted and hit his head on the pavement.  His next memory was almost 3 months later, which was probably for the best since those three months involved ambulance and helicopter rides, brain surgery, multiple hospital rooms, and an inpatient rehab facility.  That was followed by months of in-home physical, occupational, and speech therapies.  He's largely recovered, but he'll never be quite the same.
Yes, I've gotten those same dizzy feelings before too but not this year that I can recall.  I thought I was being more careful!  

I allowed my leg to rest pretty well last week as my right hamstring was pretty strained to start the week.  Outside of beach volleyball, most of the time was on a lounger with a pina colada.  Just got in 2 runs on Spring Break which were both pretty leisurely.  

Ran an easy 6 on Saturday and leg was feeling decent during run and afterwards. Hammy tightened up about 3 or 4 hours after the run, but this only lasted a few hours (which is good for me).  Got some beastie ball treatment yesterday and I can still find a couple of really tender spots on the hamstring, but fortunately well north of my usual calf hotspots.  So hopefully this whole hamstring strain/pain is temporary as the leg muscles continue to adjust the new gait and distance. 

Went pretty hard for 2 of the miles this morning and while I'm disappointed with my overall fitness compared to last year, I feel like I'm in a good spot as 5 miles is my new "no probs" distance. Historically, that's been around 3 to 3.5 miles. 

Hoping to continue on the trend pre-vacation of bumping up the mileage.  I don't think I'll have any stellar spring 5K's, but the ultimate plan is to see if I can get to 6 to 8 miles regularly without right leg complications.  If I can do that, the 5K stuff will come.  

I allowed my leg to rest pretty well last week as my right hamstring was pretty strained to start the week.  Outside of beach volleyball, most of the time was on a lounger with a pina colada.  Just got in 2 runs on Spring Break which were both pretty leisurely.  

Ran an easy 6 on Saturday and leg was feeling decent during run and afterwards. Hammy tightened up about 3 or 4 hours after the run, but this only lasted a few hours (which is good for me).  Got some beastie ball treatment yesterday and I can still find a couple of really tender spots on the hamstring, but fortunately well north of my usual calf hotspots.  So hopefully this whole hamstring strain/pain is temporary as the leg muscles continue to adjust the new gait and distance. 

Went pretty hard for 2 of the miles this morning and while I'm disappointed with my overall fitness compared to last year, I feel like I'm in a good spot as 5 miles is my new "no probs" distance. Historically, that's been around 3 to 3.5 miles. 

Hoping to continue on the trend pre-vacation of bumping up the mileage.  I don't think I'll have any stellar spring 5K's, but the ultimate plan is to see if I can get to 6 to 8 miles regularly without right leg complications.  If I can do that, the 5K stuff will come.  
I was thinking about you the other day during my run. 

I was having a hard time with pain on the back of my leg starting at my heel and going up my calf. After trying to run on it, I had to stop. After a couple of seconds of self-assessment, I realized my left shoe was tied way tighter than I am used to. Readjusted and finished the run with no pain.

I apologize if this seems stupid and totally unrelated to what you are dealing with, but if you haven't thought of this maybe see how tight you are tying your shoes. 

I was thinking about you the other day during my run. 

I was having a hard time with pain on the back of my leg starting at my heel and going up my calf. After trying to run on it, I had to stop. After a couple of seconds of self-assessment, I realized my left shoe was tied way tighter than I am used to. Readjusted and finished the run with no pain.

I apologize if this seems stupid and totally unrelated to what you are dealing with, but if you haven't thought of this maybe see how tight you are tying your shoes. 
Calf pain?  I'm your huckleberry. 

but... I haven't had that kind of thing. I rarely get any pain while running.  I have to wait 30 minutes to 6 hours to see if I overdid it. 

You know, I'd forgotten about that and it didn't come to mind when I met him at WS last June.  We had great conversations, and I really enjoyed my time with him.  He might not be "quite the same," but I didn't pick up on anything in that regard.  He's a wonderful man who quickly earned my respect.  

Calf pain?  I'm your huckleberry. 

but... I haven't had that kind of thing. I rarely get any pain while running.  I have to wait 30 minutes to 6 hours to see if I overdid it. 
I'm curious... Have you tried running a longer distance but really, really slowly? 

I'm curious... Have you tried running a longer distance but really, really slowly? 
yep.  Same probs but never got to the longer distances as things flared up at similar mileage as running if not a little sooner.   Walking is fine. 

yep.  Same probs but never got to the longer distances as things flared up at similar mileage as running if not a little sooner.   Walking is fine. 
How has your stride been? I know you've been working on your turnover. Where are you right now in regards to that?

How has your stride been? I know you've been working on your turnover. Where are you right now in regards to that?
It's mostly unconscious now and cadence is around 170.  Most significantly, I used to observe that my right foot was along for the ride... there wasn't any push off my right toe on the end of the stride; whereas  the left side felt more natural and I'd finish the stride with my toe pushing off the surface.  Now, I'm much more natural and engaged on both sides.  

The shorter gait has my leg at a slight bend at the knee when initiating contact with the surface whereas before it was almost locked out.  This cartoon  is illustrative of the before/after.

I honestly don't think gait was the primary source of my problems.  Things improved a lot when I got the vise grip release treatment.  Joint alignment was also messed up and correcting this via the PT pushing stuff back into place helped a lot too.  Still don't feel like I'm cured by any stretch.  A long ways to go. 

I still have some work to go on shortening up the stride and faster cadence, but that requires me listening to metronome, so I save that for special occasions. 

yeah, you know, it's going to snow anywhere from 8 - 12" tonight in to tomorrow.. we haven't had measurable snow in a month. we've even had reasonable temps and plenty of sun.

:hot:

Well I did get this alert in my inbox today, not necessarily what you want to see during race week:

North Bay Could Get Up To 4 Inches Of Rain

BAY AREA, CA – "Pineapple Express" showers will hit the Bay Area beginning Thursday and several locations may see heavy rainfall through Saturday morning.

National Weather Service officials said the rain pattern begins with a large area of moisture streaming up to California from Hawaii.

It will bring an "atmospheric river" with light to moderate rain and possible heavy rain in the North Bay and coastal areas.

There will be 0.75 inches to 2 inches of rain in urban areas, and up to 4 inches of rain in the North Bay, according to the weather service.

Winds will pick up throughout the week and may reach speeds of 30 to 45 mph near mountain ridge areas.

Yes, my race is in the North Bay.  And I'm pretty sure I'll be near some "mountain ridge areas."

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought the ugliest shoe I have ever seen. I can’t even look at it. I really don’t even want to take it out of the box. Except for the part where I paid a bunch of money for it.

i wanted the ghost 9’s but my local running store can’t get them anymore.

im ready for the ridicule. Not sure I will be able to look people in the eye while wearing them. Maybe I’ll just run at night. 

I just bought the ugliest shoe I have ever seen. I can’t even look at it. I really don’t even want to take it out of the box. Except for the part where I paid a bunch of money for it.

i wanted the ghost 9’s but my local running store can’t get them anymore.

im ready for the ridicule. Not sure I will be able to look people in the eye while wearing them. Maybe I’ll just run at night. 
I thought Crocs weren't that expensive. 

And a filet o fish. And a big mac. And 6 nuggets. And 2 orders of fries. And the remains of the foods everyone else didn't eat. 
Man, do I miss those days. My go-to was: a crispy chicken sandwich meal, 2 double cheeseburgers, 2 crispy ranch snack wraps, a sausage egg and cheese McMuffin, 4 hash browns and a large fry. No coke for me though, always just went with a water. That used to be my Sunday cheat meal, but I never tried it after a run. Congrats on the run, the food, and the alone time.

Man, do I miss those days. My go-to was: a crispy chicken sandwich meal, 2 double cheeseburgers, 2 crispy ranch snack wraps, a sausage egg and cheese McMuffin, 4 hash browns and a large fry. No coke for me though, always just went with a water. That used to be my Sunday cheat meal, but I never tried it after a run. Congrats on the run, the food, and the alone time.
https://goo.gl/images/3CwmMY

So, the most likely explanation is vasovagal syncope.  You can look it up but essentially you get a transient drop in your blood pressure, decrease blood flow to your head, you get light-headed and you may or may not actually briefly pass out.  Typically your heart rate will spike during this as well (tries to compensate to increase flow to your brain).  Things that can lead to it are dehydration, not eating well, getting up too quickly from lying position or seated position (esp early morning), pain, fear, and others for reasons really unknown other than it just happens.  You certainly had a few of those going on so it's pretty likely this is what happened.  This is a pretty common thing and most everyone has experienced it at least once.  That's why I was wondering if you noticed a HR spike during or shortly after this happened.

That said, the bigger concern would be something like an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).  So, if it starts happening more, you should probably get it checked out.  And, it may not be a bad idea to check anyway given how serious a runner you are to make sure all is good.  
Nice work doc. I’d get this on occasion as a freshman when I’d run to the dorm bathroom in the middle of the night and almost pass out standing there. Or from eating too many pot brownies. 

:eek:  JFC

I’m tired

M lunch- 5 recovery @ 8:19, with 28 miles and 10 at GMP+ the last two days I expected to be more fatigued - still on a runner's high probably

M evening- 4 recovery @ 8:27

T- 7 @ 7:56 w/60 second pick ups (6:30-7 min pace) at the beginning of each mile + 20 mins strength training

W lunch- 12 w/a 7 mi progression to start (753/737/724/702/649/633/608) then 4x 90 second sprints after a one mile reset (516/457/459/512)…mentally, this was the hardest workout of the whole training cycle

W afternoon- nap

W evening- 4 recovery @ 8:44

Th- 5 recovery @ 8:26

F- 10 @ 8:03 with 4x hill repeats halfway + 200 post run lunges & 100 post run push ups

F afternoon- nap

Sa- 12 GMP @ 6:51 + 1 mi net WU/CD, I held back better this week and came much closer to my goal pace

Su- 6 recovery @ 8:28

M- the final 20 @ 7:26 and while Wednesday was mentally the most difficult workout of this cycle, this one was physically the most difficult.  I fought some potential GI issues miles 3-7 followed by an angry right foot then an angry left foot then twingey calves before everything finally seemed to calm down...14 miles in.  And by then I was at the wall.  So this is a perfect opportunity to simulate the last 10K of the real thing – manage this as best as you can.  I made it to about mile 18.5 before I felt any discomfort (tight hips) and despite being on the brink of bonking the whole time I actually sped up. 

The rest of the day- either lying in bed, on the couch, or getting McDonald's

So I think I’m ready for this thing.

March stats- 264 miles, a new high by 25 miles.  I eclipsed 8K feet in elevation for just the third time and unlike the previous two efforts I didn’t try to - I actually felt like I tried to avoid them on non-hill repeat days!

The final week- 66 miles @ 7:50 pace, a new weekly high despite no long run. 

The final short cycle- 12 days, 141 miles, two GMP runs (22 miles total), two long ones a day or two after the GMP’s (37 miles total), with a hellish speed workout and hill repeats in between.

And now to figure out the taper schedule…

Ok fellas, a little help for a rookie would be appreciated.  I'm 2 weeks out from my first race (1/2 marathon).  I did 10.5 today.  What should be my schedule for the next 2 weeks?  Run 10+ again next Saturday/Sunday?

What should my schedule be the day/night before and morning of the race?   Mostly asking about food/drink, but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I'm probably a broken record at this point, but I'm a bit of an extremist when it comes tot he final week or so.  I don't think there's much you can do physically to help once getting to the final 10 days - only hurt it.  That last week is all about minimizing stress, resting, and spending all that time & energy you previously spent running focusing on good diet choices.  Not knowing anything about your training and understanding now may be too late to juggle the calendar, but I'd plan your last hard(ish) workout for as close to tomorrow as possible.  There can be some psychological benefits to a quality run Sat or Sun, but generally speaking there isn't enough time to improve your fitness so close to the race.  

I'm probably a broken record at this point, but I'm a bit of an extremist when it comes tot he final week or so.  I don't think there's much you can do physically to help once getting to the final 10 days - only hurt it.  That last week is all about minimizing stress, resting, and spending all that time & energy you previously spent running focusing on good diet choices.  Not knowing anything about your training and understanding now may be too late to juggle the calendar, but I'd plan your last hard(ish) workout for as close to tomorrow as possible.  There can be some psychological benefits to a quality run Sat or Sun, but generally speaking there isn't enough time to improve your fitness so close to the race.  
To echo this, I follow the Hanson's marathon plan.  Hanson's says you realize fitness gains 10 days after the workout.  Therefore, for the Hanson's marathon plan, the last hard workout is 10 days before the race.  I can't imagine its any different for a half marathon. 

If I were in your shoes, I would go long 10+ on Thursday (10 days before your race).  After that, its all easys -- anywhere from 4 to 7 miles.

Good luck!

Some fun with numbers this morning. Been thinking about how to pace this 1/2 next Saturday, since my fitness is about as good as I can be right now considering my body hates me now. I ran this same race at 1:55:59 last spring with little training.  So here is my mileage last year:

January: 50.16 miles

February: 34.87 miles

March: 65.93 miles

So far this year: 

January: 75.23 miles

February: 85.09 miles

March: 95.99 miles

So then I compared a long run from the same period last year versus this year. I ran that 13 mile run this last weekend, and looking back I ran that exact run almost the exact same weekend as last year. (so a GREAT comparison)

Last year: 13.1 miles. 9:37 pace. 166 HR

This year: 13.1 miles. 9.36 pace. 166 HR

:lmao:  Couldn't believe it. So I feel pretty good I can run a 1:55 or so for this race. Which is probably my goal, which would help wipe the bad taste out of my mouth from that fall race. So I then looked at all of my 1/2 marathons where I had HR data to see what my effort was on race day.

April 2015: 8:29 pace. 174 HR. 1:51:20

April 2016: 8:09 pace. 174 HR. 1:46:55

April 2017: 8:51 pace. 172 HR. 1:56:00

October 2017: 9:32 pace. 168 HR. 2:06:40 (was completely wiped this race if you recall)

So I feel comfortable running this race in the 170-175 HR zone. My last few long runs have felt strong - meaning I'm not feeling completely wiped at the end. So I figure if my nutrition is good and weather cooperates, I should be good.

I also now know that this really is probably my last half I'll run. :lol: One of the disheartening things is even with increased mileage this year and actually "feeling better", it seems I can't get over the hump to start approaching some faster times. And for me, I don't want to run a 1/2 just to do it. If I can't see real gains then I think my time with distance running is over.

I know the only real way to see gains again is by mileage. And I've learned I can't push my body too hard or it makes me pay. I can run 4 days a week and still feel somewhat normal. I supposed I could try and maximize those four days with volume, and that may be something worth looking into.

Or, I just start exploring the trail thing and see what happens.

So, since in my mind since this is my last half, I'm thinking of trying to pace this thing a little more aggressively. If I remember from my last race report in April last year, I believe there were a few more minutes left on the course. So I'm thinking of shooting for an 8:30 pace, but keeping an eye on my HR throughout - at least the first part of the race - and use 175 as my target HR. 

I think I can get there, and at this point I'd rather go in with the mentality of: "fook it - don't leave any time out there."  

To echo this, I follow the Hanson's marathon plan.  Hanson's says you realize fitness gains 10 days after the workout.  Therefore, for the Hanson's marathon plan, the last hard workout is 10 days before the race.  I can't imagine its any different for a half marathon. 

If I were in your shoes, I would go long 10+ on Thursday (10 days before your race).  After that, its all easys -- anywhere from 4 to 7 miles.

Good luck!
This reminds me - it totally depends on my recovery this week, but if I'm feeling good by week's end is 14 GMP too much for 14 days out from race day?  I felt great on Saturday's 12 GMP and this is where that thought stemmed from.  As I neared the end of the run I was telling myself I can definitely keep going, but knowing what lies ahead Monday I'm not going to.  But what's the risk/reward behind going further next weekend?

This was the extent of my taper plan when I wrote it out a few weeks ago, I haven't touched it since, and looking at it just now - it isn't changing/just need to start filling in the actual mileage.

Today- recover

Tomorrow- rest

Sometime this weekend- something good (if sufficiently recovered, GMP - if not then intervals)

8-9 days from now- last call (if I did the GMP then tempo today, if I didn't then GMP today)

So, since in my mind since this is my last half, I'm thinking of trying to pace this thing a little more aggressively.
Reading your post, this is exactly what I was thinking until I got here.  I say to hell with 1:55, go for 1:50.  And if you're feeling strong at mile 10 then let er rip.  You probably won't get to your April 2016 PR, but maybe you'll get close to it.  Then the distance stuff can live on.

And if you flame out then you can confidently migrate to the wonderful world of trails.

We did an organizational sexual assault awareness color run this morning. My first color run and I'm still green. 

I was in front for most of the race and got hit in the crotch!  One of the color throwers was trying to hit us low (which is preferable to the face) and stuck her hand out just a little too long...  :eek: :excited:

We did an organizational sexual assault awareness color run this morning. My first color run and I'm still green. 

I was in front for most of the race and got hit in the crotch!  One of the color throwers was trying to hit us low (which is preferable to the face) and stuck her hand out just a little too long...  :eek: :excited:
Was Tanner there?

This reminds me - it totally depends on my recovery this week, but if I'm feeling good by week's end is 14 GMP too much for 14 days out from race day?  I felt great on Saturday's 12 GMP and this is where that thought stemmed from.  As I neared the end of the run I was telling myself I can definitely keep going, but knowing what lies ahead Monday I'm not going to.  But what's the risk/reward behind going further next weekend?

This was the extent of my taper plan when I wrote it out a few weeks ago, I haven't touched it since, and looking at it just now - it isn't changing/just need to start filling in the actual mileage.

Today- recover

Tomorrow- rest

Sometime this weekend- something good (if sufficiently recovered, GMP - if not then intervals)

8-9 days from now- last call (if I did the GMP then tempo today, if I didn't then GMP today)
I'll just say that my buddy did his last 20-miler (including some hard stuff) two weeks out from Carmel, and he totally regrets it.  His heart rate for the marathon was in the 170s starting at mile 12, so he effectively had to gut out a 16-mile tempo run to finish the marathon.  He still made it sub-3:10 like he wanted, but it was a suckfest.  I ended up leaving him at mile 19 or so.

So, since in my mind since this is my last half, I'm thinking of trying to pace this thing a little more aggressively. If I remember from my last race report in April last year, I believe there were a few more minutes left on the course. So I'm thinking of shooting for an 8:30 pace, but keeping an eye on my HR throughout - at least the first part of the race - and use 175 as my target HR.
I don't know based on your race report from the trail race you did back in February (it sounded like it was good experience for you), I'd consider taking it a bit easier the first half of the race (HR under 170) and try to enjoy the atmosphere a bit.  If you feel good enough to increase the effort the 2nd half of the race do it, if not it's a good thing you didn't push it early.

I know you've had a tough stretch for a while but it seems like the past few weeks have been going relatively well.  Since this may be your last half, I'd want to have a good experience and try to build on some of the positive momentum from March.

Users who are viewing this thread