What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

70 degrees here today. Had a choice of:

1. Run a nice slow 4 mile recovery run

2. Drink a cold beer and hang in the back yard with the kids

I chose 2. As Ned would say, hay is in the barn for next weeks race. Gonna run Saturday and do a mini taper next week. 

:banned:

Same forecast as earlier this week.  Must be time for my first race in 9 months!   :excited:

Atmospheric river could hit Bay Area with month of rain in 2 days

"Most of the region is expected to get 2 to 3 inches of rain, though the North Bay Mountains could see between 3 and 6 inches."

The good news is that, as of now, the forecast has most of that coming between tonight and about 11:00 AM Saturday.  So while I'd expect the trails to be sloppy, the rain shouldn't be terrible Saturday morning and should let up around mile 10-15.  Wind forecast is around 15 mph all day Saturday, likely higher up in the "mountains", so that could be a bit of a challenge.  Should be fun!

70 degrees here today. Had a choice of:

1. Run a nice slow 4 mile recovery run

2. Drink a cold beer and hang in the back yard with the kids

I chose 2. As Ned would say, hay is in the barn for next weeks race. Gonna run Saturday and do a mini taper next week. 

:banned:
Rest plus carb load. Winning.

Got a feet scan at fleet foot this morning, turns out I've been wearing shoes 1.5 sizes too small.

Has anyone else got this? It's pretty cool even if it does say my ball girth is small. 
That's what I had done. Since I've been running in these 14's, it's so different. My toes feel so free but the shoe doesn't feel too big. It's a revelation.

ETA -- My fleet feet foot scan

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in time to watch @SteelCurtain make Boston his #####.

Hard part's over, now just wiggle your big toe.
Thanks man.  Hard runs are all over.  Need to try to rest and deal with little kinks in the legs and joints.  Nothing big.

I'm weather stalking like a mo fo.  Right now, the conditions look IDEAL.  Insanely ideal.  51 degrees, cloudy and 14 mph tailwind gusting to 36 mph.  Of course, we are 10 days out, so take that for what its worth.

SFBayDuck said:
Same forecast as earlier this week.  Must be time for my first race in 9 months!   :excited:

Atmospheric river could hit Bay Area with month of rain in 2 days

"Most of the region is expected to get 2 to 3 inches of rain, though the North Bay Mountains could see between 3 and 6 inches."

The good news is that, as of now, the forecast has most of that coming between tonight and about 11:00 AM Saturday.  So while I'd expect the trails to be sloppy, the rain shouldn't be terrible Saturday morning and should let up around mile 10-15.  Wind forecast is around 15 mph all day Saturday, likely higher up in the "mountains", so that could be a bit of a challenge.  Should be fun!
Good luck.

Solid soakfest here too with temps in the 30s.  Son has a college soccer game so my just bag it and watch that instead.

What is the best running app?  I was using Runkeeper and it seemed fine until the GPS stopped working.  So I started using the Nike+ app.  It's horribly inaccurate.  I actually got in my car and re-traced my steps to make sure.  I also ran the exact same route and it showed a distance variation of almost a 1/4 mile the very next day.  

I can't believe Nike doesn't have a better app by now.  It can't be my iPhone, could it?

What is the best running app?  I was using Runkeeper and it seemed fine until the GPS stopped working.  So I started using the Nike+ app.  It's horribly inaccurate.  I actually got in my car and re-traced my steps to make sure.  I also ran the exact same route and it showed a distance variation of almost a 1/4 mile the very next day.  

I can't believe Nike doesn't have a better app by now.  It can't be my iPhone, could it?
Strava is excellent. And there's a group on there from here. See the OP.

Does Strava work independently?  Is that what you do?  I think most of us just have the data swept to Strava.
Sure does, I used to track mid-day walks during work with it (was trying to start a wellness thing with my team, but it never went anywhere).  But I've found the iPhone just isn't nearly as accurate as a gps watch.

Sure does, I used to track mid-day walks during work with it (was trying to start a wellness thing with my team, but it never went anywhere).  But I've found the iPhone just isn't nearly as accurate as a gps watch.
So that's probably @kOOk's underlying issue.

I think Higdon does a better job with this than the others so you may not need it, but do not hesitate to call an audible when/if your body asks for a step back week.  If you're going to bail on one of his workouts pick one (or both) during the week.  They're designed to be difficult weekends.  If you don't get to the weekend ready to rock you won't experience the full benefits.

I'm a big fan of doubles, but being new to actual training one word of caution - stay focused on run #2.  I'm guessing they will be recovery's and while pace is not important - form is.  I have seen you doing doubles (and more?) already, but it's different once amidst training.  Just something to be aware of.  
First week almost done.  So far, it's been fun trying to stick to this. Thoughts/questions up until this point:

1) The plan has me running every day but mostly short distances except for Sunday. My legs feel great and they are actually aching to run more.  Like they feel ready to just open up.

2). The hills was a killer on Tuesday despite being the shortest workout. I also ran them just a little too fast so I'll work on that. This is going to be the day I dread the most each week.

3) My tempo run yesterday felt too easy. The description of how to do it is different than what I've seen you guys do. It has me do 10-15 minutes easy, then slowly build for 10-20 minutes with a peak at 5k-10k pace for only a few minutes in the middle of that, decrease back down, and then finish 5-10 minutes easy.  I don't know if I should be more tired from that but I found building that way that my effort was pretty minimal and I didn't have to hold it long. I'm guessing it'll get harder as legs get tired and weeks go by, but if I'm missing something, let me know. I looked at paces when I finished and I think I did it right. And yesterday was a 40 min tempo, later they drop to 30, so it's going to be even easier?

4) Today is a good day to try and double. I'll try another easy 3 later this afternoon. 

5) It's so hard mentally to run slow. It almost takes more effort but I'm doing it and trying to keep good form with it. I actually talked to my mother on the phone for most of my run today to make sure I kept it easy. 20 minute conversation and the run just flew by. I'm looking forward to Fartleks tomorrow and just running fast.

6) Is it ok to do some strides during these easy runs? Or does that defeat the purpose and just stick with the plan as written? 

7) Finally, I meant to ask this earlier and kept forgetting. When you guys warm up for a race, how long before do you do it? I had that relay the previous weekend and I never did a good warm up because I wasn't sure the timing. If you run 2 miles, do you end the run right before you're going to start? If not, how long before? I was worried that if I did it too early, I was going to lose the benefit of it. And I'm assuming when you do that, it's just an easy pace with some strides or sprints when done? I thought about that with my tempo run yesterday that if I had done a good warm up, I probably could have done much better in that race.

Does Strava work independently?  Is that what you do?  I think most of us just have the data swept to Strava.
Yep. I don't have a watch. I wear my phone during runs and open up Strava before every run. When I run with my wife and she wears her Garmin, they are almost completely in sync. It also measures my cadence. Only thing missing is HR and I can pick up a BT monitor if I really wanted to connect but I just don't need it now. The only downside is that it's a little clunkier to start than a watch, obviously, but it's not bad. It has an auto-pause feature that works great so that if I have to stop at an intersection or some other reason, it automatically pauses and then restarts when I get going again. Most of the time you can't even tell on my pacing. That means I only need to start it at the beginning of the run and hit finish when I end. Then it syncs immediately.

Yep. I don't have a watch. I wear my phone during runs and open up Strava before every run. When I run with my wife and she wears her Garmin, they are almost completely in sync. It also measures my cadence. Only thing missing is HR and I can pick up a BT monitor if I really wanted to connect but I just don't need it now. The only downside is that it's a little clunkier to start than a watch, obviously, but it's not bad. It has an auto-pause feature that works great so that if I have to stop at an intersection or some other reason, it automatically pauses and then restarts when I get going again. Most of the time you can't even tell on my pacing. That means I only need to start it at the beginning of the run and hit finish when I end. Then it syncs immediately.
This is what I do too and I've only running into issues with GPS in the city.  I find that the phone (nexus 6) finds the gps signal much much quicker than my watch anyways.  I get audio updates every mile on cumulative time and last mile split. 

I do have a bluetooth HR wrist strap but it's a real pain to put a long sleeve shirt over the strap without knocking it out of place.  My solution has been to not run with a HR monitor and I'm happier without it.  

So that's probably @kOOk's underlying issue.
Yeah you're probably right.  Still surprising it can be this far off.  I'll get the Strava app and see what that does for me.

And why my Runkeeper suddenly went haywire I have no idea.  Used it for years without a problem.  All of a sudden, no more GPS.  I could uninstall and reinstall it but I will lose all the info.  I still may do that.

First week almost done.  So far, it's been fun trying to stick to this. Thoughts/questions up until this point:

1) The plan has me running every day but mostly short distances except for Sunday. My legs feel great and they are actually aching to run more.  Like they feel ready to just open up.

2). The hills was a killer on Tuesday despite being the shortest workout. I also ran them just a little too fast so I'll work on that. This is going to be the day I dread the most each week.

3) My tempo run yesterday felt too easy. The description of how to do it is different than what I've seen you guys do. It has me do 10-15 minutes easy, then slowly build for 10-20 minutes with a peak at 5k-10k pace for only a few minutes in the middle of that, decrease back down, and then finish 5-10 minutes easy.  I don't know if I should be more tired from that but I found building that way that my effort was pretty minimal and I didn't have to hold it long. I'm guessing it'll get harder as legs get tired and weeks go by, but if I'm missing something, let me know. I looked at paces when I finished and I think I did it right. And yesterday was a 40 min tempo, later they drop to 30, so it's going to be even easier?

4) Today is a good day to try and double. I'll try another easy 3 later this afternoon. 

5) It's so hard mentally to run slow. It almost takes more effort but I'm doing it and trying to keep good form with it. I actually talked to my mother on the phone for most of my run today to make sure I kept it easy. 20 minute conversation and the run just flew by. I'm looking forward to Fartleks tomorrow and just running fast.

6) Is it ok to do some strides during these easy runs? Or does that defeat the purpose and just stick with the plan as written? 

7) Finally, I meant to ask this earlier and kept forgetting. When you guys warm up for a race, how long before do you do it? I had that relay the previous weekend and I never did a good warm up because I wasn't sure the timing. If you run 2 miles, do you end the run right before you're going to start? If not, how long before? I was worried that if I did it too early, I was going to lose the benefit of it. And I'm assuming when you do that, it's just an easy pace with some strides or sprints when done? I thought about that with my tempo run yesterday that if I had done a good warm up, I probably could have done much better in that race.
I'll pick and choose some questions to answer - or at least stir up some discussion

3) I'm trying to stay open minded when it comes to both styles of tempo runs, but I've trended more towards the higdon version.  And it has everything to do with recovery.  It may just be me, but it takes me too long to recover from a traditional tempo - by that I mean holding a pace I can run for an hour for 30/40/50/etc mins.  I think doing them aided me in wandering into over-training issues before.  I haven't done one of those since summer 2017 and haven't repeated that mistake.  Ultimately, I just remind myself that every run has its purpose.  The higdon tempo isn't supposed to tax you - it's supposed to help you adapt to an uncomfortable pace and build some fatigue in your legs before the more challenging weekend runs but not so much that it's a chore to finish.

5) Get a few weeks into the cycle and the cumulative fatigue will make this easier - if it doesn't then you can consider increasing all of your target paces.

6) Yes, but I'd wait a few weeks to see how your body responds to the cumulative fatigue.

Yeah you're probably right.  Still surprising it can be this far off.  I'll get the Strava app and see what that does for me.

And why my Runkeeper suddenly went haywire I have no idea.  Used it for years without a problem.  All of a sudden, no more GPS.  I could uninstall and reinstall it but I will lose all the info.  I still may do that.
If you're having GPS problems with Runkeeper and Nike, the problem might be with phone or provider.  Strava is free and most of us have been happy with it, so no harm in loading that on your phone, but you shouldn't be shocked if you have probs there too.  Do full restart of the phone, that usually helps me if GPS is looking wonky.  

1) The plan has me running every day but mostly short distances except for Sunday. My legs feel great and they are actually aching to run more.  Like they feel ready to just open up. So your legs are "full of running?"  That's good!  Just enjoy it ...and don't get ahead of yourself.

2). The hills was a killer on Tuesday despite being the shortest workout. I also ran them just a little too fast so I'll work on that. This is going to be the day I dread the most each week.  If you're running with a good stride (slight forward lean; mid or forefoot strike), the hills should feel comfortable, even if the effort is hard.  If they're a "killer," then it's good you're working them!

3) My tempo run yesterday felt too easy. The description of how to do it is different than what I've seen you guys do. It has me do 10-15 minutes easy, then slowly build for 10-20 minutes with a peak at 5k-10k pace for only a few minutes in the middle of that, decrease back down, and then finish 5-10 minutes easy.  I don't know if I should be more tired from that but I found building that way that my effort was pretty minimal and I didn't have to hold it long. I'm guessing it'll get harder as legs get tired and weeks go by, but if I'm missing something, let me know. I looked at paces when I finished and I think I did it right. And yesterday was a 40 min tempo, later they drop to 30, so it's going to be even easier?  Different ways to approach it ...you're allowed to adapt as you choose.

5) It's so hard mentally to run slow. It almost takes more effort but I'm doing it and trying to keep good form with it. I actually talked to my mother on the phone for most of my run today to make sure I kept it easy. 20 minute conversation and the run just flew by. I'm looking forward to Fartleks tomorrow and just running fast.  How is mom?  But actually, be careful about being on the phone.  That creates a different pattern of your arm swing, and then can throw off other mechanics.  

6) Is it ok to do some strides during these easy runs? Or does that defeat the purpose and just stick with the plan as written?  Yes, it's OK (probably better toward the end of the run).

7) Finally, I meant to ask this earlier and kept forgetting. When you guys warm up for a race, how long before do you do it? I had that relay the previous weekend and I never did a good warm up because I wasn't sure the timing. If you run 2 miles, do you end the run right before you're going to start? If not, how long before? I was worried that if I did it too early, I was going to lose the benefit of it. And I'm assuming when you do that, it's just an easy pace with some strides or sprints when done? I thought about that with my tempo run yesterday that if I had done a good warm up, I probably could have done much better in that race.  This varies.  Longer (and slower) races tend to call for less of a warm-up.  For 5Ks, it's not uncommon to even run the course as a warm-up.  End the warm-up maybe 15-20 minutes before the race ...time to take fluid in, get fluids out, and rest for the race.  You could add a couple late accelerations or some stretching in the shoots before the start.

• Related, if you're going to walk (or stop dead) at a water station, get off to the side first
this always prevents me from stopping for water at races. typically there's a water station around the 1.5 mark and the crowd hadn't thinned a ton so there area dozens of people piled up.. well out in to the course.

then at the next there are fewer people but people are walking up to it from 20-30-40 yards away and then sort of mingling around the table. getting in there to grab a drink and then getting out without dodging people is near impossible.

and i loathe having to carry water/tailwind. i need a biker riding along to spray water in my face or something.

Excellent, thanks!  :)

Yes, I meant the hills were a killer for effort (and I ran them closer to 6:00 then 7:00).  The effort was far from comfortable!

As for the phone call, I had my Bluetooth headset that I spoke on (phone still on my arm) so no change in form at all.

That other stuff helps a lot, both you and @MAC_32.  I'll see how I feel after a couple more weeks of this as I'm sure I'm underestimating the effort that this will all take.

I signed up for a 5K for Sunday but I've been sick all week and took some days off.  I don't think I'll be 100% by then which likely dashes my initial hopes of sub 18:00 but I'll probably still give it a go.  
Same here. Have a 5K tomorrow morning but can’t move from my bed besides for going to work. I have been getting sick on and off for about 3 weeks. Most likely not going tomorrow morning. Hope you feel better, Juxt.

Yesterday I got Rascal Flats Fast Cars and Freedom followed by California Love then Rancid Roots Radical and capped off with Neil Diamond America.

I was going to do a 5 mile recovery instead of 4, but figured it wouldn't get any better than that so I bailed 8 mins early. 

Also, concerts I'm going to see this year:

• Brantley Gilbert
  • Blake Shelton
  • The Weeknd
  • Ed Sheeran
I saw Jay-Z a couple of months ago.  And I'm super excited that BG is gonna be back in Illinois this fall....with Kid #######' Rock!  :excited: :headbang:

My favorite artist is Eminem.  My second favorite is Brantley Gilbert. 

Hold my beer...
The groups I’ve seen the most in concert are Garbage, Cranberries, and Public Enemy. All three feature heavily on my playlist. 

I’ve never heard of Brantley Gilbert though. Sounds like the preppy villain in a college comedy. 

The groups I’ve seen the most in concert are Garbage, Cranberries, and Public Enemy. All three feature heavily on my playlist. 

I’ve never heard of Brantley Gilbert though. Sounds like the preppy villain in a college comedy. 
Can't help but smile ear to ear when Dreams pops up - RIP

The schedule called out for 8-10k tuneup race today, so I ran a 10k on the track. The plan was to keep under 6:00 pace since that is my goal for my upcoming 10 miler. It went really well, ran it in 36:37 5:53 pace. My PR for the 10k is 36:43.  I am liking my chances of running a sub 60 at Broad Street.

The schedule called out for 8-10k tuneup race today, so I ran a 10k on the track. The plan was to keep under 6:00 pace since that is my goal for my upcoming 10 miler. It went really well, ran it in 36:37 5:53 pace. My PR for the 10k is 36:43.  I am liking my chances of running a sub 60 at Broad Street.
You are ridiculous.

Nice easy 12 miler this morning. Just felt nice and smooth all the way through. Weather was cold though.

Oh, and an old lady had me dead to rights in an intersection. I had the green light. She's coming off the highway, has a red light and a good 15 feet from the stop light as I'm in the intersection. I am literally exactly in front of her yelling "STOP!!!!" She was getting ready to do a rolling through the red light turn. I had been watching out of the corner of my eye, so I was paying attention to her.

She finally sees me at the last second. :rant: She then tried to pull up and roll down her window to apologize, but I ignored her because I really didn't want to cuss out an old lady.

This was the one. Got lucky today.

Tried to do my usual Saturday morning run. Usually I just head out and do anywhere from 11-16 and throw some speed in if I’m feeling it. Went out this morning and got to about 3.5 miles and my body was just not into it at all. Turned around and headed back home. I guess running with Amoxicilin, Mucinex, Flonase, and a shot of Decadrone in your system isn’t smart. Hope I can get back to my normal self soon. 

JShare87 said:
Tried to do my usual Saturday morning run. Usually I just head out and do anywhere from 11-16 and throw some speed in if I’m feeling it. Went out this morning and got to about 3.5 miles and my body was just not into it at all. Turned around and headed back home. I guess running with Amoxicilin, Mucinex, Flonase, and a shot of Decadrone in your system isn’t smart. Hope I can get back to my normal self soon. 
Dude, I run like GARBAGE on antibiotics. Heart rate noticeably higher, etc. Now when I get a sinus infection or something I generally just ride it out and wait for it to go away on its own.

Check this out: https://runnersconnect.net/antibiotics-and-running-performance/

Users who are viewing this thread