Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

21 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

I have a question.  Hypothetically, let's say you're on mile 12 of a 15 mile long run.  50 yards ahead walking on the sidewalk you see a guy finish off a plastic water bottle and toss it on the grass.  If it matters, the grass borders a small lake and is not private property.  If it matters, the guy is probably in his young 20s and outweighs you by 50 lbs.  What do you do?

I'd pick it up, and as I ran by I would stop and hand it to him and say: "You dropped this back there." 

• Like 1

Just now, MAC_32 said:

Before I go through setup - what time?  

Start time?  It's on that link....7:30am

Just now, gianmarco said:

Start time?  It's on that link....7:30am

I didn't see it, but in the interest of transparency I spent maybe 2 1/2 seconds looking.  Maybe.

I'd love to track, by wife is 10K'ing Sunday morning and too many phone notifications causes me anxiety.  Need to figure out logistics before I know if I can actually follow along or if the combination of small humans and technology is too much for me.

Some day runner "tracking" is going to be a live feed from a camera the runner is wearing, right?  And that will include live pace, distance, heart rate, cadence, and other stats?  And you'll be able to save the video to watch again?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Some day runner "tracking" is going to be a live feed from a camera the runner is wearing, right?  And that will include live pace, distance, heart rate, cadence, and other stats?  And you'll be able to save the video to watch again?

Could probably do it now with a GoPro and live feed. 

Like this...

33 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Eventually live betting on splits/finish time and vomit y/n will be available. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, Juxtatarot said:

I have a question.  Hypothetically, let's say you're on mile 12 of a 15 mile long run.  50 yards ahead walking on the sidewalk you see a guy finish off a plastic water bottle and toss it on the grass.  If it matters, the grass borders a small lake and is not private property.  If it matters, the guy is probably in his young 20s and outweighs you by 50 lbs.  What do you do?

I probably look at the bottle in disgust as I run by it and then think terrible thoughts about the loser for the next 3 miles. 

What'd you do?

I forgot how good a proper recovery run felt. I ran an easy 4 at soccer practice tonight and was kinda stiff/sore. When I got home and did some stretches I noticed how friggin good my legs felt.  100x better than beforehand. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Ned said:

I probably look at the bottle in disgust as I run by it and then think terrible thoughts about the loser for the next 3 miles. 

What'd you do?

Yeah, that's about what I did.  I made an assessment looking at the guy (rightly or wrongly) that any confrontation wouldn't end positively and wouldn't be worth it in the end.  I thought about doing exactly what Tri-man mentioned (picked it up and running it back to him) and saying "you dropped this" when handing it back.  I kind of think I wussed out but, on the other hand, I also try to remind myself not to get worked up over stuff that's trivial in the grand scheme of things. (Not that littering as a global problem is trivial but one bottle that hopefully will be picked up by a lawn maintenance crew later probably is.)

• Like 9

My son had his first cross country meet yesterday. 2 miles and apparently very hilly and it was hot AF yesterday (85+). I wasn't there, but when he gets in the car after getting dropped back off at school, he's beaming ear to ear.

About 200 kids from different schools and he finished 17th with a time of 15:40. And his legs are sore this morning so I know he ran hard.  Most importantly, he was proud of himself and looks like he's finally starting to enjoy it.

• Like 13

That reminds me, our 8 year old is clearly a victim of the suck index like the rest of us.  To my surprise other kids don't seem to be impacted much by the conditions - at least based on their performance anyway.  There's some variance based on the course, temp, dewpoint but there's consistency week-to-week.  My son though - he put up a 12:43 mile and a half race in ideal conditions.  Mid 50's and cloudy.  The weather has not broken right any other day and he's net 13:58, 15:31, 16:17, and 17:25 :lmao:  Not that I would anyway since it isn't the point of him doing this, but boy would I be a hypocrite if I were critical of him.  Because he's just like his dad (and mom) - gimme the cold.  Unfortunately he isn't going to get it on his last meet this Sunday, but since it's on the lake maybe a breeze will be enough to cool him off to at least get near that 12+ minute performance.  No matter the result it's been a successful season - he's had fun and made new friends.

• Like 6

Getting ready have my first pacing experience at the Marathon distance.  I'm pacing Mohawk Hudson marathon on Sunday for a 3:45 time.  Supposed to be warm (low 80's) so there is a chance they will bump all the pacers back 5-10 minutes.  Waiting to hear.

If anyone has paced ( @gruecd , etc) or has been paced by someone, if you have any recommendations of do's and don't's, please feel free to let me know. 

#nervous

• Like 6

1 minute ago, SteelCurtain said:

Getting ready have my first pacing experience at the Marathon distance.  I'm pacing Mohawk Hudson marathon on Sunday for a 3:45 time.  Supposed to be warm (low 80's) so there is a chance they will bump all the pacers back 5-10 minutes.  Waiting to hear.

If anyone has paced ( @gruecd , etc) or has been paced by someone, if you have any recommendations of do's and don't's, please feel free to let me know. 

#nervous

Make sure you start a BMF chant at mile 20.

Good luck....I'm quite sure you're going to rock it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I recall a pair of pacers that were bantering back and forth in a manner that made it very clear that they weren't working too hard.  I didn't like that at all.  The people you'll be pacing are working hard to achieve a goal, so don't trivialize the tempo as something that's rather 'easy' for you or joke around.  I don't expect you would do this, but just to mention.  I'm positive you'll do a great job.

• Like 5

Hey, fellas. Been a while hasn't it!?

Figured I'd give you guys an update. Unfortunately there's not much change with my nerve damage/neuropathy in my right foot. I've had 2 steroid injections in my back to reduce the inflammation caused by my bulging L5 S1 disc. So far, no luck in helping my foot. So yeah...my PT started talking in terms of "if" my nerve heals, so I got that going for me. So I might be done running. I just don't know. 

The silver lining to this story is that I discovered how much I like cycling, as I'm sure you strava guys have noticed. Cycling has given basically everything I got out of running and more but with less abuse on my body. At this point I don't really miss running. I miss the races. But overall, I prefer cycling training. It's highly competitive. The group rides on the weekends are a blast. And the bikes/gadgets are as addicting as crack cocaine. I'm hooked. I've done a couple cycling races and though terrifying, were a lot of fun. Definitely plan on training to race more next Spring. 

Anyway, it was tough to watch Boston registration come and go and not register. But hey, what am I going to do? I gotta keep moving and luckily I've found a way to do it. 

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Hang 10 said:

Figured I'd give you guys an update. Unfortunately there's not much change with my nerve damage/neuropathy in my right foot. I've had 2 steroid injections in my back to reduce the inflammation caused by my bulging L5 S1 disc. So far, no luck in helping my foot. So yeah...my PT started talking in terms of "if" my nerve heals, so I got that going for me. So I might be done running. I just don't know. 

The silver lining to this story is that I discovered how much I like cycling, as I'm sure you strava guys have noticed. Cycling has given basically everything I got out of running and more but with less abuse on my body. At this point I don't really miss running. I miss the races. But overall, I prefer cycling training. It's highly competitive. The group rides on the weekends are a blast. And the bikes/gadgets are as addicting as crack cocaine. I'm hooked. I've done a couple cycling races and though terrifying, were a lot of fun. Definitely plan on training to race more next Spring. 

Anyway, it was tough to watch Boston registration come and go and not register. But hey, what am I going to do? I gotta keep moving and luckily I've found a way to do it. 

That both sucks and is awesome.  You've been killing it on the cycling and I've enjoyed following along.  Do miss you in this thread.  Just would rather you chose cycling over running because you wanted to and not because you have to. 

Glad you checked in and hope you didn't mind the call out a couple weeks ago.

• Like 2

Just now, Hang 10 said:

Just don’t be one of those bike diiks that don’t wave at the runners when they wave at you.

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 6

That both sucks and is awesome.  You've been killing it on the cycling and I've enjoyed following along.  Do miss you in this thread.  Just would rather you chose cycling over running because you wanted to and not because you have to. 

Glad you checked in and hope you didn't mind the call out a couple weeks ago.

Oh yeah, would have been nice to not be forced to change. I wish I would have discovered it long before I got injured. I love running but one thing that I hated was I always felt like I was doing a balancing act to increase my training load and not get injured. In retrospect, I could have used cycling to supplement some my training and stay healthy. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to do that.

And yeah, sorry for completely ducking out of here. I'll try to stop by more and check in you fellas. Glad to see lots of great training on strava tho! 

• Like 3

good to hear an update @Hang 10 even if it's not the news you were looking for.  I do a little cycling and I'll come in after a (for me) tough workout and see that I was averaging 16 to 18 mph with a peak on a downhill at 22. Then I'll look at your Strava activity and see that you averaged 21 mph on an off day.  It's inspiring.  I usually hate your guts, but it is inspiring. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Brony said:

good to hear an update @Hang 10 even if it's not the news you were looking for.  I do a little cycling and I'll come in after a (for me) tough workout and see that I was averaging 16 to 18 mph with a peak on a downhill at 22. Then I'll look at your Strava activity and see that you averaged 21 mph on an off day.  It's inspiring.  I usually hate your guts, but it is inspiring. 

Apples and oranges, my friend. I thought the same thing until I learned how to ride in a group and got the right equipment. I used to avg 17-18 riding around my hood years ago and I was blown away by the paces guys did during group rides. Drafting is massive. Once I figured it out, I was one of the guys riding 30 mph pushing the group. But you can't do that alone and you can't do that on a heavy bike. 

I'm sure with a proper road bike and your athletic ability you wouldn't be far behind. 

• Like 3

On 10/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, Juxtatarot said:

Well, on the internet I say I’ll shove the bottle up the dudes ### and take his wife to bear his children. 

IRL?  Prolly just look at him as I run by wishing I would do more. 

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 8:38 PM, mr. furley said:

is it just me or does running in the rain feel easier? like there's more..... oxygen in the air or something :oldunsure:

Yes

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:24 PM, SFBayDuck said:

The race website had splits for the "last runner" or 38 hour pace that looked to be actual aid station splits, and not just taking the overall time and applying to the cumulative mileage.  So I was able to use that to quickly extrapolate a 32-hour pace chart..  I'll probably hide the "segment pace" column when I print this as it won't be very helpful out there (just used it for the math).  I'm also playing around with the display options on my Garmin, setting up some screens that have time/distance/avg pace and time/distance/elevation/total ascent, things like that.  

Didn't get to my drop bags yesterday so will do that today.  As an out-and-back course having 5 places with drop bags are really just 3 bags, so that'll simplify things a bit.

And of course the wet weather has in fact moved up, so not only rain but looks like thunderstorms forecast for pretty much the entire race.  I don't know the weather patterns in VA, anybody know if it's typically an afternoon thunderstorm kind of deal like the mountains in Colorado or the tropics typically are, or some other pattern (or none at all)?  @BassNBrew?

Yup...afternoon pop ups.  Widely scattered usually.  Looks like perfect temperatures for you.  It's been dry so you shouldn't be running in miles of downhill drainage ditches.

Wish I could head that way.  Son has a game that night in Asheville.  Too damn slow to pace you anyway.

Wishing you the best.  The mountain trails out this way suck based on the pictures I see from you.  Rock and more rock with roots mixed in.  If you're a downhill technical guy you'll dominate on this track.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

How long until you learn how to love swimming?  Then you can compete in aquabike. Those races are becoming wicked competitive.  My old coach and one of her students competed in worlds not too long ago. 

Edited by JAA

5 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Just don’t be one of those bike diiks that don’t wave at the runners when they wave at you.

Wait ... runners wave at runners. Bikers wave at bikers. Runners don’t wave at bikers, walkers, or any of the sort. These are the rules pal. 

6 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

Apples and oranges, my friend. I thought the same thing until I learned how to ride in a group and got the right equipment. I used to avg 17-18 riding around my hood years ago and I was blown away by the paces guys did during group rides. Drafting is massive. Once I figured it out, I was one of the guys riding 30 mph pushing the group. But you can't do that alone and you can't do that on a heavy bike. 

I'm sure with a proper road bike and your athletic ability you wouldn't be far behind. 

Glad to see you check in.

I too have wondered HTF you were riding so fast. I have been riding both road and dirt and noticed your 20+ mph rides - I even talked about your rides with my brother when we rode a flat road ride last week.  We hammered the hell out of it on the last 4mi or so and barely held onto 20mph. So when I see you doing that for 30mi I was :kicksrock:   :lol: 

• Like 2

Anyone see this new NY Times article We Slow as We Age, but May Not Need to Slow too Much?

Although it's interesting enough, it's more fun to play with the calculator that they mention.  It's on the Yale site here:   https://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/aging/runoth2.htm

It thinks I can run a sub 20:00 5K at 60 and a sub 4-hour marathon at 78.  :popcorn:

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

Not sure if cycling is my calling, but I'm glad that you've found an activity that provides a lot of the positives of running.  Very interesting to hear your perspective on what you miss and don't miss from running. My body likely won't tolerate a decade of running abuse, so encouraging to hear that there are good substitutes. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Yup...afternoon pop ups.  Widely scattered usually.  Looks like perfect temperatures for you.  It's been dry so you shouldn't be running in miles of downhill drainage ditches.

Wish I could head that way.  Son has a game that night in Asheville.  Too damn slow to pace you anyway.

Wishing you the best.  The mountain trails out this way suck based on the pictures I see from you.  Rock and more rock with roots mixed in.  If you're a downhill technical guy you'll dominate on this track.

Thanks buddy. The technical stuff will be a challenge, but I’m looking forward to it. 

Flying out at 10:00 tomorrow morning  to Dulles, then headed down to Harrisonburg where I’m staying tomorrow night.  I’ll head over to race start/finish in Swoope late Friday morning to check in, set up camp, hopefully nap a bit, and be ready to go at 6:00 pm. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ned said:

Glad to see you check in.

I too have wondered HTF you were riding so fast. I have been riding both road and dirt and noticed your 20+ mph rides - I even talked about your rides with my brother when we rode a flat road ride last week.  We hammered the hell out of it on the last 4mi or so and barely held onto 20mph. So when I see you doing that for 30mi I was :kicksrock:   :lol: 

Thanks, buddy.

Well, will say that after about 6 months of riding, I'm fairly comfortable at 20-23 mph without the aide of drafting. Typically, thou solo rides are usually super easy/recovery efforts because I'm trying to save my legs for the group ride which are like intense interval workouts. The other day I did a recovery and avg 19 mph and my bpm was 115. So I'm not sure how fast I could time trial by myself but I'm guessing it's around 25ish for an hour.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Brony said:

Not sure if cycling is my calling, but I'm glad that you've found an activity that provides a lot of the positives of running.  Very interesting to hear your perspective on what you miss and don't miss from running. My body likely won't tolerate a decade of running abuse, so encouraging to hear that there are good substitutes. 

I miss races. I miss competing. Miss my buddies/gals that still run. I miss the beers after. Tho, I would say the biggest advantage of running is that you can basically do it anywhere. Going on vacation? Just bring your running shoes. It's impractical to bring a bike with you and dangerous to ride roads you've never seen. And you get more bang for your buck time wise. Cycling needs more planning for your routes and it takes more time get the same caloric benefit if you care about such things.

The massive advantage cycling has over running is that is easier on your body. I don't need all the post run/pre run maintenance for cycling. I haven't stretched in 6 months. I don't need to get massages and trigger point sessions. No more dry needling. I rode almost 250 miles last week and I don't have one ache or pain related to cycling. So it definitely appears to be a sport that you can do long term. 

It's also a very social activity because group rides are so much more fun than riding by yourself. So while I've lost some running friends, I've picked up quite a few more. And there are cycling races which I've done a few. VERY different from running races. In running the fittest/fastest guy always wins. In cycling it's all about strategy. Cycling races are like endurance chess. You need to be fit, have bursts of massive power but you need to be smart about where you choose to use those skills. A weaker rider can beat a much stronger guy if the weaker guy rides smart. Let others do the work and save your energy for the final sprint or the final break away. So, trying to figure out the nuances of cycling is another thing that's  pulled me in.

The downside of the races is tho is the very real possibility of wrecking at high speeds. When I did my last race I got bumped going 27 mph and that scared the #### out of me. But maybe that's why they're such a rush. Cycling is definitely way more intense than running. If you're a fast runner your daily speeds probably range between 7-12mph. In cycling the speeds vary greatly. Could be 18 mph and I've gone as fast a 37mph on a flat road. You need all your senses and focus when pushing the pace during a group ride/race. Running I would try to block out senses and just sorta check out mentally when I could. You can't do that when you're doing 30 mph and you're separated from 2 bikes on each side you by a total 18 inches. So the adrenaline junkie in me certainly gets my fix. 

HTH

Edited by Hang 10
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, JAA said:

How long until you learn how to love swimming?  Then you can compete in aquabike. Those races are becoming wicked competitive.  My old coach and one of her students competed in worlds not too long ago. 

I've always hated swimming. Probably because I'm so bad at it. But if my foot ever heals, I'm going to need to tolerate it because I'm definitely going to do a tri. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Anyone see this new NY Times article We Slow as We Age, but May Not Need to Slow too Much?

Although it's interesting enough, it's more fun to play with the calculator that they mention.  It's on the Yale site here:   https://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/aging/runoth2.htm

It thinks I can run a sub 20:00 5K at 60 and a sub 4-hour marathon at 78.  :popcorn:

The algorithm seems to overlook the previously untrained burnout turned runner. 

20 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

The algorithm seems to overlook the previously untrained burnout turned runner. 

Yes, I think it assumes consistency in training.  

19 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I recall a pair of pacers that were bantering back and forth in a manner that made it very clear that they weren't working too hard.  I didn't like that at all.  The people you'll be pacing are working hard to achieve a goal, so don't trivialize the tempo as something that's rather 'easy' for you or joke around.  I don't expect you would do this, but just to mention.  I'm positive you'll do a great job.

This is great advice.  I certainly wouldn't minimize what others are doing but its a good reminder that mile 20+ for these people will be hell for them.

Thank you!  And happy belated birthday!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Gents,

If anyone is interested in buying the vaunted Nike Vaporfly's that are impossible to find.  Fleet Feet has them in stock right now.  Just bought a pair. 

Damn!  $250?!?!  

I was embarrassed to buy a pair of Ultra Boosts the other day for $180.  Had $20 off at ##### a $20 coupon though.  One thing I did take note of is how much the Ultra Boosts go for on eBay.  I feel pretty confident if I keep mine relatively clean I can use them for 6-8 months then sale them for $100+.  Its crazy watching what used running shoes go for on there. 

I do love them though...:wub: 

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

@pbm107  How are feeling about the Hansen schedule so far?  Looks like you have been nailing the workouts.

Thanks, I am not sure how I feel about it yet.  I am 2 weeks in starting on week 12 of the 18 week schedule.  Today was the first day where I noticed the cumulative fatigue that everyone talks about with the program.  I got through the workout but I didn't have a lot of life in my legs. So far the marathon pace runs are the most difficult (which isn't surprising), but they aren't brutal like the Pfitz tempo runs.

My concern at the moment is that my HR was a bit high for my two MP runs, so I could be running them a bit fast.  I may have to adjust my goal as I get closer to the marathon.  At least with this program I have 4 more MP runs to evaluate.

2 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Thanks, I am not sure how I feel about it yet.  I am 2 weeks in starting on week 12 of the 18 week schedule.  Today was the first day where I noticed the cumulative fatigue that everyone talks about with the program.  I got through the workout but I didn't have a lot of life in my legs. So far the marathon pace runs are the most difficult (which isn't surprising), but they aren't brutal like the Pfitz tempo runs.

My concern at the moment is that my HR was a bit high for my two MP runs, so I could be running them a bit fast.  I may have to adjust my goal as I get closer to the marathon.  At least with this program I have 4 more MP runs to evaluate.

Haven't you been running workouts 10 to 15 seconds faster that you "should" based on your goal? 

Just now, pbm107 said:

I think your HR on all 3 of the hard runs will decrease beginning the week after your step back week.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Haven't you been running workouts 10 to 15 seconds faster that you "should" based on your goal? 

Not really, I am hoping to be able to run the marathon at 6:40 pace and today all my MP miles were between 6:35-6:41. I have been about 5 sec fast on my Tuesday workouts which have been 4 X1.5 or 3 X 2 @ MP -10. The pace for my long run was supposed to be 7:17 and I came in at 7:15. I have been trying to hit my paces on all the SOS (something of substance) runs.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Not really, I am hoping to be able to run the marathon at 6:40 pace and today all my MP miles were between 6:35-6:41. I have been about 5 sec fast on my Tuesday workouts which have been 4 X1.5 or 3 X 2 @ MP -10. The pace for my long run was supposed to be 7:17 and I came in at 7:15. I have been trying to hit my paces on all the SOS (something of substance) runs.

OK.  Is your goal 2:55 or are you factoring in extra mileage due to imperfect tangent running?

Well, I'm just about done.  Just finished a couple easy miles.  Went to StretchU yesterday and had 40 minutes of stretch work done mostly on legs/hips.  Ran some speedwork afterward yesterday to keep some intensity although not much volume.  I've done 7 miles so far this week (2 Monday, 3 yesterday, 2 today), I'll take tomorrow off and then just run 1-2 miles on Saturday really easy to get some neuropriming™  done.  At this point, it is what it is but I'm happy with where I am I think.  I don't know if I'm going to hit my goal of sub 8 min mile but I'm hoping I'm ready enough to run a good race for this distance so we'll see what happens.

Work last night was easy which helped.  Only one more night (Friday night).  Drinking plenty of fluids (yes, Gatorade), eating plenty, weight is up a couple pounds but it's ok.  Unfortunately, Sunday morning weather looks awful.  Temp of 68 to start and will be in the 70's by race end with a dew point of 68.  Should be lovely.  The day before with a high of 88 and 67 is the low for the night.  Oh well.....so much for taking advantage of my heat training.

Surprisingly not thinking too much about the race........yet.

• Like 3

Well, I'm just about done.  Just finished a couple easy miles.  Went to StretchU yesterday and had 40 minutes of stretch work done mostly on legs/hips.  Ran some speedwork afterward yesterday to keep some intensity although not much volume.  I've done 7 miles so far this week (2 Monday, 3 yesterday, 2 today), I'll take tomorrow off and then just run 1-2 miles on Saturday really easy to get some neuropriming™  done.  At this point, it is what it is but I'm happy with where I am I think.  I don't know if I'm going to hit my goal of sub 8 min mile but I'm hoping I'm ready enough to run a good race for this distance so we'll see what happens.

Work last night was easy which helped.  Only one more night (Friday night).  Drinking plenty of fluids (yes, Gatorade), eating plenty, weight is up a couple pounds but it's ok.  Unfortunately, Sunday morning weather looks awful.  Temp of 68 to start and will be in the 70's by race end with a dew point of 68.  Should be lovely.  The day before with a high of 88 and 67 is the low for the night.  Oh well.....so much for taking advantage of my heat training.

Surprisingly not thinking too much about the race........yet.

I feel really bad for you about the weather. All of that training and unfortunately you are at the whims of mother nature. But, you do what you can and persevere. 

You'll kick some ###. Can't wait to see the report. :thumbup:

• Like 1