Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

OK.  Is your goal 2:55 or are you factoring in extra mileage due to imperfect tangent running?

Not much thought was put into a goal time.  The table in the book has prescribed paces in 5 minute increments based on goal marathon time. 2:50 didn't seem realistic, didn't want to go with 3:00, so I went with 2:55.  I don't really have a set goal time, just that I'll be disappointed if I finish over 3.  Training for 2:55 gives me some margin I guess.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Anyone see this new NY Times article We Slow as We Age, but May Not Need to Slow too Much?

Although it's interesting enough, it's more fun to play with the calculator that they mention.  It's on the Yale site here:   https://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/aging/runoth2.htm

It thinks I can run a sub 20:00 5K at 60 and a sub 4-hour marathon at 78.  :popcorn:

Interesting stuff!  It shows me at a 3:59 marathon at age 75.  I tend to agree with an early comment on the article about how the decline can be attributed to merely falling out of shape and putting on pounds as well as just not doing the hard training.  If we stay on our game and work hard at it, yeah, we can still maintain some semblance of speed. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Interesting stuff!  It shows me at a 3:59 marathon at age 75.  I tend to agree with an early comment on the article about how the decline can be attributed to merely falling out of shape and putting on pounds as well as just not doing the hard training.  If we stay on our game and work hard at it, yeah, we can still maintain some semblance of speed. 

Daily lunges, ftw. Amirite?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

It’s encouraging how almost linear the decline is from their data. About 1% per year in the 40s slowly increasing to about 1.2% in the 60s. 

Every time I revamp after taking time off I wonder if I’ll be able to get back where I was. Luckily I’ve always been able to. I’m sure I’ve physically declined some but have been able to counteract that with consistency and perhaps a little more wisdom. 

I think we’ve discussed this before, but I daydream about being a great Masters runner. :bag:

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Hang 10 said:

I miss races. I miss competing. Miss my buddies/gals that still run. I miss the beers after. Tho, I would say the biggest advantage of running is that you can basically do it anywhere. Going on vacation? Just bring your running shoes. It's impractical to bring a bike with you and dangerous to ride roads you've never seen. And you get more bang for your buck time wise. Cycling needs more planning for your routes and it takes more time get the same caloric benefit if you care about such things.

The massive advantage cycling has over running is that is easier on your body. I don't need all the post run/pre run maintenance for cycling. I haven't stretched in 6 months. I don't need to get massages and trigger point sessions. No more dry needling. I rode almost 250 miles last week and I don't have one ache or pain related to cycling. So it definitely appears to be a sport that you can do long term. 

HTH

Thanks for sharing.  A lot of that rings true.  I am much much pickier about weather conditions for biking vs. running.  Running is rain or shine; -5F to 95F.  I won't get on bike if it's windy or recently rained or raining.  I'm unlikely to bike once December hits.  

On the pro side, though, I need to move to something less damaging on the joints and need to  get on the bike more. 

Not sure I'll ever be spotted in bike shorts and flamboyant shirt, but I'm coming around on the bike thing and glad to hear you are enjoying it. 

• Like 1

So, had my yearly physical today. When I made my appointment a few weeks ago, my primary doctor was booked until December. They gave me the option to have my appointment with his nurse practitioner.

Knowing my guy was a ham-fisted neanderthal, I said: "Sure."

Was pleasantly surprised to see her walk through the door. Nice small, skinny fingers - :wub:. And very attractive to boot. Not to mention a very nice person as well.  Lost 8 pounds since my last checkup. Sitting at 151, with my goal for race day being 145. I'll get there with no problem. And since I'm a short little feller, should work out good.

All systems ok for now.  :thumbup:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Get some sleep boss. Tomorrow is #BMF time.

:boxing:

Thanks dude.  Landed safely at Dulles, uneventful two hour drive to Harrisonburg, and found a local bar and grill to get some dinner and a couple of glasses of wine.  Now in the hotel watching TNF, feet elevated, going to do a little light stretching to work out all of the sitting inherent in what was really an 11 hour travel day.  It’s only 7:20 my time so not ready to go to sleep, just hoping with the evening start that I get a solid 8 and sleep in a bit.  Race is about 45 minutes away and I don’t really have to be there until 12:30 or so with the pre-race meeting at 1:00.  Then it’s just sitting in the back of my rental car, feet up again, hoping to catch a nap.

The worst part about this week has been no caffeine.  I’m a 2+ cup of coffee per day guy, but I cut it out on Monday hoping it’ll give me a little more kick than usual when I need it the next couple of nights. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Sitting at 151, with my goal for race day being 145

Jesus Christ, we have a bunch of midgets in here.

Glad your butthole is healthy.  :hifive: 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

The worst part about this week has been no caffeine.  I’m a 2+ cup of coffee per day guy, but I cut it out on Monday hoping it’ll give me a little more kick than usual when I need it the next couple of nights. 

Your prep is awesome. This one and sitting in your car on heat blast come to mind as completely insanely brilliant strategies. 

Have a great east coast experience, hope it’s a worthy trail!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Jesus Christ, we have a bunch of midgets in here.

Had a conversation with another xc parent last night about identifying your own best sport.  How you can tell just by looking at the body makeup of other good ones if you'll be any good or not.  No surprise this thread is littered with a buncha little people.  Good runners are usually little people.  

14 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Had a conversation with another xc parent last night about identifying your own best sport.  How you can tell just by looking at the body makeup of other good ones if you'll be any good or not.  No surprise this thread is littered with a buncha little people.  Good runners are usually little people.  

Yeah, you don't look at me and think "yep, runner".  Curling?.....maybe.

Just now, gianmarco said:

Yeah, you don't look at me and think "yep, runner".  Curling?.....maybe.

I look more like a bass fisherman than a runner. 

7 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I look more like a bass fisherman than a runner. 

You should race in one of these.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ned said:

You should race in one of these.

I actually have a bass pro fishing jersey like that my kids gave me for Christmas one year. :yes:

Supposed to rain solid here for the next 4 days. Might have to wear it. 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Almost a year anniversary....

I still hate that second one.  It makes me worry that you're going to get run over.

I've spent more time then I'd care to admit thinking about this over the last couple years, but especially over the last few months since April's marathon.  The balance between running and strength.  @Hang 10's post the other day really sparked some additional considerations - all the maintenance that's necessary pre and post run to maintain health.  I'm probably still not at my conclusion, but I feel a lot closer now than I did earlier in the week or anytime prior.  I've trended more and more towards less racing as the last few years have gone by.  Despite running substantially more.  It's been intentional, but I think I'm taking it to the next level.  How do you get faster and stronger at the same time?  It's simple, you can't.  Unless you're a paid professional and it's your life anyway.  Reality is for us mere mortals we can't; you need to choose.  I've tried morning running, but I won't sustain it.  I've tried evening running, but also won't sustain it.  I've tried 2-a-days and, same thing.  One-off's here and there?  Sure, but week-after-week and I simply run out of gas.  It isn't effective.  I can do it but then another workout, or workouts, suffer.  In the end, juice isn't worth the squeeze.  So I'm not doing it anymore.  

And I'm breaking running and strength into their own seasons - make one the priority and the other a compliment.  There's really no end game for the strength seasons (summer and winter) other than get to the end of it stronger/healthier without gaining (much) weight.  I may race during it just to break up the monotony, but I'm not preparing for any - it'll just be a workout.  For running I'll just try to maintain about 40+ mpw, but won't force the issue if my body is asking for a break.  The running seasons will obviously have an end game though.  What race/distance am I working towards?  And it's singular.  I will have a contingency plan in my back pocket (weather/ilnness/real life/etc), but I think focusing on one particular race will maximize that performance whereas before when I've been trying to accomplish multiple goals I fell short of all of them.

Not just physically (although it is), but mentally I think this is better anyway.  I'm probably not alone in this but accomplishing one goal then jumping right to the next training plan burns me out.  I need a reset period.  Focus on rebuilding lost strength for a few months and just accumulating mostly easier miles before getting back into training mode again.  Whenever I make another run at Boston I'll have to adjust a bit, but ideally I go into such a plan stronger and healthier.  I just need to make sure that like this last time I schedule 6-8 weeks on the back end to get my body right again - I'll need more time to rebuild strength since I will have lost more of it (and I'm only getting older).

So for Fall 2018 I'm setting my sights on a 5 mile turkey trot.  In our December year-end report I wrote something like this year was just about BQ'ing then I'll figure the rest out later.  It was and still is, so no matter how this goes this year has been a successful one.  But it'd be nice to hang another accomplished goal on the 2018 mantle.  I'll probably still do the 10K two weeks from tomorrow that I planned on in August because it fits the schedule, but I'm not going to taper for it like I had written down until an hour ago.  The plan's for the 5 miler - with a 10K contingency 10 days after.  The 5 mile was my breakthrough in 2016 (30:09) and I want to see how much I can best that number by now.  So as much as it pained me to delete yesterday's strength workout and substitute it with an hour run in the woods with post workout lunges, it was time.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I still hate that second one.  It makes me worry that you're going to get run over.

Heh, I remember you posting that at the time.

Probably best you don't watch it anymore just in case one of the times you do and I do end up getting run over. 

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Heh, I remember you posting that at the time.

Probably best you don't watch it anymore just in case one of the times you do and I do end up getting run over. 

Me too - I think of it anytime I end up on the wrong side of the road and immediately look for the safest way to the other side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

Me too - I think of it anytime I end up on the wrong side of the road and immediately look for the safest way to the other side.

Me too!!  Every time.

This thread and you guys are so ingrained, it's nuts.

ETA -- And don't think I'm not looking for cops at every red light I'm thinking of running through.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

ETA -- And don't think I'm not looking for cops at every red light I'm thinking of running through.

I think I posted about that.  About a week later I had that exact situation.  Ran right through the red.  The cop was cool.  He didn't even give me a WTF look.

Edited by Juxtatarot

46 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Good luck/best wishes to @SFBayDuck @gianmarco and @Steel Curtain this weekend!

Thanks! 

I'll be honest, I'm nervous as all get out.  Its one thing to run a race for yourself.  But this time, others are counting on me.  I've been on the pacers website for this race and several people are running with me and counting on me to get them to sub 3:45.  :oldunsure:

Plus I'm going to Red Sox/Yankees tonight with my son, so a 3.5 hour drive each way today and tonight will also wear on me. 

And its gonna be warm (mid to upper 70's by end of race) on Sunday.

I'll just have to chill out and try to rest when I can, hydrate, and remember, it isn't THAT far.  :D

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

And its gonna be warm (mid to upper 70's by end of race) on Sunday.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Chicago Marathon organizers have to be incredibly stressed about this Laquan McDonald murder trial verdict expected soon.  If the cop isn't found guilty, there will be massive protests downtown this weekend.

My legs feel funny today. Almost "tingly". I feel like I need to get out but will just wait for a short jog tomorrow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

My legs feel funny today. Almost "tingly". I feel like I need to get out but will just wait for a short jog tomorrow.

Welcome to the  end of the taper - full of fake injuries, self doubt, and general irritability.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Welcome to the  end of the taper - full of fake injuries, self doubt, and general irritability.

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!

• Like 3

At a royal farms in a long line as I try to get to the beach. Dude all tatted up starts yapping and I see a BMF tatted on his hand.  Perhaps he is. 

1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

@SFBayDuck is off!  Follow along HERE if you like. :thumbup:

The site doesn’t appear to be updating as they should be past the first station.

10 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I've spent more time then I'd care to admit thinking about this over the last couple years, but especially over the last few months since April's marathon.  The balance between running and strength.  @Hang 10's post the other day really sparked some additional considerations - all the maintenance that's necessary pre and post run to maintain health.  I'm probably still not at my conclusion, but I feel a lot closer now than I did earlier in the week or anytime prior.  I've trended more and more towards less racing as the last few years have gone by.  Despite running substantially more.  It's been intentional, but I think I'm taking it to the next level.  How do you get faster and stronger at the same time?  It's simple, you can't.  Unless you're a paid professional and it's your life anyway.  Reality is for us mere mortals we can't; you need to choose.  I've tried morning running, but I won't sustain it.  I've tried evening running, but also won't sustain it.  I've tried 2-a-days and, same thing.  One-off's here and there?  Sure, but week-after-week and I simply run out of gas.  It isn't effective.  I can do it but then another workout, or workouts, suffer.  In the end, juice isn't worth the squeeze.  So I'm not doing it anymore.  

And I'm breaking running and strength into their own seasons - make one the priority and the other a compliment.  There's really no end game for the strength seasons (summer and winter) other than get to the end of it stronger/healthier without gaining (much) weight.  I may race during it just to break up the monotony, but I'm not preparing for any - it'll just be a workout.  For running I'll just try to maintain about 40+ mpw, but won't force the issue if my body is asking for a break.  The running seasons will obviously have an end game though.  What race/distance am I working towards?  And it's singular.  I will have a contingency plan in my back pocket (weather/ilnness/real life/etc), but I think focusing on one particular race will maximize that performance whereas before when I've been trying to accomplish multiple goals I fell short of all of them.

Not just physically (although it is), but mentally I think this is better anyway.  I'm probably not alone in this but accomplishing one goal then jumping right to the next training plan burns me out.  I need a reset period.  Focus on rebuilding lost strength for a few months and just accumulating mostly easier miles before getting back into training mode again.  Whenever I make another run at Boston I'll have to adjust a bit, but ideally I go into such a plan stronger and healthier.  I just need to make sure that like this last time I schedule 6-8 weeks on the back end to get my body right again - I'll need more time to rebuild strength since I will have lost more of it (and I'm only getting older).

So for Fall 2018 I'm setting my sights on a 5 mile turkey trot.  In our December year-end report I wrote something like this year was just about BQ'ing then I'll figure the rest out later.  It was and still is, so no matter how this goes this year has been a successful one.  But it'd be nice to hang another accomplished goal on the 2018 mantle.  I'll probably still do the 10K two weeks from tomorrow that I planned on in August because it fits the schedule, but I'm not going to taper for it like I had written down until an hour ago.  The plan's for the 5 miler - with a 10K contingency 10 days after.  The 5 mile was my breakthrough in 2016 (30:09) and I want to see how much I can best that number by now.  So as much as it pained me to delete yesterday's strength workout and substitute it with an hour run in the woods with post workout lunges, it was time.

I get what you're saying, and I'll certainly focus more on whatever the main goal is at the time, but I refuse to completely give up on strength training just because I'm running. It might be ten minutes of pullups instead of 90 focused on legs. 

This winter is going to be interesting. And stressful. 

Our daughter is going to undergo a bone marrow transplant sometime in the next 6 months, probably February. She'll be in St Jude's for 4 months at least. My wife will go with her, leaving the 5 of us guys for that time period. We're in as good a position to do this as possible, great support network, my boss is awesome especially when it comes to flexibility, if I need a day off I'll just have to tell him. If I need to adjust my hours (and I will), I just tell him. 

I think I'll still do the HIM in May, I'll just need to train at 5am before the boys get up for school.  Essentially being a single dad for 4-6 months won't be easy, but the boys are awesome. I've left her with these boys twice for 4 and 6 months, they survived and thrived. We'll be fine.

The princess is tough as nails, but chemo and the transplant is going to be rough for anyone.

All of us will just have to HTFU for a few months. :boxing:

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I get what you're saying, and I'll certainly focus more on whatever the main goal is at the time, but I refuse to completely give up on strength training just because I'm running. It might be ten minutes of pullups instead of 90 focused on legs. 

This winter is going to be interesting. And stressful. 

Our daughter is going to undergo a bone marrow transplant sometime in the next 6 months, probably February. She'll be in St Jude's for 4 months at least. My wife will go with her, leaving the 5 of us guys for that time period. We're in as good a position to do this as possible, great support network, my boss is awesome especially when it comes to flexibility, if I need a day off I'll just have to tell him. If I need to adjust my hours (and I will), I just tell him. 

I think I'll still do the HIM in May, I'll just need to train at 5am before the boys get up for school.  Essentially being a single dad for 4-6 months won't be easy, but the boys are awesome. I've left her with these boys twice for 4 and 6 months, they survived and thrived. We'll be fine.

The princess is tough as nails, but chemo and the transplant is going to be rough for anyone.

All of us will just have to HTFU for a few months. :boxing:

Man, not much to say but thoughts and prayers coming to you guys from KC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

@SFBayDuck is off!  Follow along HERE if you like. :thumbup:

Damn, they have about 40 TOTAL times through ANY of the aid stations updated. 

:penalty:

No update on Duck’s time at all. That sucks.  :kicksrock:

As an aside one of the few updates provided appears to have Jake Hegge in the lead through the third aid station, which was five hours ago.  Jake is one of the better local runners from my area.  

That said, I feel confident that @SFBayDuck is right on his heels and ready to kick him down around mile 97. :towelwave:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Damn, they have about 40 TOTAL times through ANY of the aid stations updated. 

:penalty:

No update on Duck’s time at all. That sucks.  :kicksrock:

As an aside one of the few updates provided appears to have Jake Hegge in the lead through the third aid station, which was five hours ago.  Jake is one of the better local runners from my area.  

That said, I feel confident that @SFBayDuck is right on his heels and ready to kick him down around mile 97. :towelwave:

Yeah, I've been up for an hour and was surprised not to see anything.

Raining like a mofo here - looks like the lightning will keep me inside today. Anyone say rest day? :thumbup:

Good luck to @SFBayDuck. It will always be weird to me waking up from 8 hours knowing that someone was just running that whole time.

@MAC_32good luck with the new plans. Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I tend to focus on one race at a time, but I'm always doing road 5ks so there is never new prep per se. Only potential flaw in the plan is that if you happen to have a bad day on race day then the outcome may not reflect the preparation if you don't allow yourself the chance for a redo. I'm sure you have considered this.

@-OZ- best of luck with the bmt. The road has to be pretty damn rocky to even consider this so my thoughts go out to you and the family. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Maybe I can score you some free interferon. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pbm107 said:

The site doesn’t appear to be updating as they should be past the first station.

Still. 

Looks like something just hit that site.  

Lookout Mt.  8:19 hours in 16:14 pace.

• Like 5

Brutal group ride this morning. Nice steady 25 mph pace out with a slight tailwind coming back with a headwind and a bunch of surges to 30 mph and beyond. Guys dropping left and right.

My cardio is probably the best it's ever been and that kept me getting dropped but my legs were trashed. Felt like a 10k effort out there. Exhausted. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jb1020 said:

Looks like something just hit that site.  

Lookout Mt.  8:19 hours in 16:14 pace.

According to his pace chart, his 32 hour pace chart had him there in 7:55:44. I believe the cut-off time is 38 hours, so based on that he would need to be there in 9:25 if I'm reading his chart correctly.

So he is doing ok so far. Might need to pick up some time somewhere. Keep on trucking @SFBayDuck. :thumbup:

Hate not being able to follow along with @SFBayDuck. I hope he's killing it out there.

Well, I'm as ready as can be. Another good night at work, feel rested, hydrated, and overall feel good.

I'm not even thinking about this race now because I'm pretty bummed about this weather at this point. Low tonight won't even get below 70. Dew point today was 71 and may be in the 70s again tomorrow and every time I've checked the temps keep going higher. Just frustrating.

At this point, looks like I will indeed be racing by HR and hope I can get it right. No chance at getting in under 1:45 so it's just going to be what it is. I just ran a couple miles in a SI of 157. It's not that I can't run in this stuff but it would have been nice to run in better conditions and see what I could have done. 

Anyway, thanks for all the help leading up to this and hope to turn in a good race. 

Good luck with the marathon pacing @SteelCurtain. And go get some @SFBayDuck.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ChiefD said:

According to his pace chart, his 32 hour pace chart had him there in 7:55:44. I believe the cut-off time is 38 hours, so based on that he would need to be there in 9:25 if I'm reading his chart correctly.

So he is doing ok so far. Might need to pick up some time somewhere. Keep on trucking @SFBayDuck. :thumbup:

Yep, actual cut time at that aid station (~31 miles in) was 11 hours, so well ahead of that.  I was thinking he’s on a 30-31ish hour pace, so sub 32 makes sense.  Hope that first 30% went off without a hitch.  Lots of climbing left, which Duck is great at, so I’m optimistic.  Kill it Duck!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, MAC_32 said:

Good runners are usually little people.  

A good number of people in this thread who refute this generalization as well...

• Like 1