What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Not enough fuel (yes, Cliff Bloks)? 
On this point - I made huge strides by changing my diet from a high carb to a high fat high protein diet. I also learned how to train in a fasted state.  I went from relying on the gels, chews, etc every 45-60mins to using very little on race day.  

Teach your body how to burn fat (there’s loads of info out there on this subject).  Don’t lean on that crutch and think you need to consume a ton of calories during the race to have a successful run. 

So, why the bonk?

Too fast to start? Not enough fuel (yes, Cliff Bloks)? Weather? All of it? 
With all due respect to Tri-man, I’m not sure you bonked. By this I’m referring to bonking technically meaning glycogen depletion.  With your nutrition and training I think mile 8 is too soon for that to happen. I think it was fatigue.  Here’s an article that discusses this in marathons but I think it’s valid here too.

I think the weather certainly played a role and you went out at an unsustainable pace. Solution is to race slower, pick a cooler race, and/or add more mileage to your training.

Big congrats to @SFBayDuck @SteelCurtain @gianmarco  :thumbup:  Also a belated congrats to @Juxtatarot (1st place, wow). I aspire to your levels of ###-kicking.

@gianmarco as a newbie I don't have much to add, but a top-15% finish is *really* solid, especially in rough conditions on your first HM attempt. There's just no way around ####ty weather. From what I've read, everyone in here has had an unpleasant experience with their first half - you have some big PRs in your future. :yes:  

Thanks, guys. Seriously.

Certainly a learning experience. And while I probably could have started slower and had a better race, I would have then wondered if I left some out there. 

I do think it's interesting that my HR, for the most part, at least to me, seemed pretty under control.  I thought I did well interpreting what I was seeing but clearly not and now I can use that moving forward.

It'll take time, and hopefully things change, and I won't give up on it just yet, but either way, I still don't think longer races are ultimately going to be for me. I will be trying again, though, despite today.

So, why the bonk?

Too fast to start? Not enough fuel (yes, Cliff Bloks)? Weather? All of it? 

Is there any way to know it's going to happen? 

The other time it happened to me was in the final leg of a relay so I can see exactly why. 

Today seemingly came out of nowhere and relatively "early" in the race. 

And, just of note, I don't see HR splits after each mile. Just spot checks as I'm going. I saw the trend was higher, but I was seeing mostly low 160s when I looked in mile 3 and that seemed reasonable at that point. In hindsight, I guess I should have kept it lower for longer. 
I do not have the knowledge of the folks in here. I do have some experience though. Was this the furthest distance you’ve ever ran? I only ask because I don’t recall ever seeing your long runs get up to 13 miles. I think it is what so many talk about in here, building that base. I can recall the 1st time I ever ran 13 miles, I could barely move from mile 11 on. I think if you spend more time at distances > 10 miles, you will finish much stronger.

Also, I hate judging others, but I did notice one really big mistake you made. Not sitting behind that smokeshow pacer, really made me question your intelligence. You should’ve eased into the first few miles, enjoyed that view, and then finished strong. These opportunities do not come along very often. When they do present themselves, passing on them creates bad ju-ju.

Seriously though, you should be proud of yourself. For you first half, that time is great. Also, the guts and heart you displayed during the tough times will take you a long way. Head up and continue going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have the knowledge of the folks in here. I do have some experience though. Was this the furthest distance you’ve ever ran? I only ask because I don’t recall ever seeing your long runs get up to 13 miles. I think it is what so many talk about in here, building that base. I can recall the 1st time I ever ran 13 miles, I could barely move from mile 11 on. I think if you spend more time at distances > 10 miles, you will finish much stronger.

Also, I hate judging others, but I did notice one really big mistake you made. Not sitting behind that smokeshow pacer, really made me question your intelligence. You should’ve eased into the first few miles, enjoyed that view, and then finished strong. These opportunities do not come along very often. When they do present themselves, passing on them creates bad ju-ju.

Seriously though, you should be proud of yourself. For you first half, that time is great. Also, the guys and heart you displayed during the tough times will take you a long way. Head up and continue going forward.
Yes, that was my longest distance I've ever run. I had an 11.5 mile run a few weeks ago that was longest. It was a good run although obviously not at race pace.

Watching her go by at the end, I had that same thought after the fact. Completely blew it :(

I had all the warnings I could have had. I even told my wife to do the same, she listened, and raced well. I should have trusted the numbers and adjusted the pace significantly more. With the math on temperature that I read and they confirmed with announcements at the race, I should have adjusted all the way down to 8:30 goal pace. 

My ego just wouldn't let that happen, though. Will do what I can moving forward to keep that ego in check.

With all due respect to Tri-man, I’m not sure you bonked. By this I’m referring to bonking technically meaning glycogen depletion.  With your nutrition and training I think mile 8 is too soon for that to happen. I think it was fatigue.  Here’s an article that discusses this in marathons but I think it’s valid here too.

I think the weather certainly played a role and you went out at an unsustainable pace. Solution is to race slower, pick a cooler race, and/or add more mileage to your training.
You may be right!  I used the term "bonk" in too casual a manner.  @Ned describes the likely cause, which was the hot/humid conditions.  It seems rather odd that the HR stayed steady in the mid-160s.  I had that in my last marathon, where I kept slowing the pace, but the HR wouldn't adjust.  It wasn't overly high, I just couldn't push the pace on a warm day.

WBGT (wet bulb global temperature) > 82 is my guess. That can be a threshold for cancellation in many marathons.

Edit: Here’s an article about how it can work: https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/crime--law/wet-bulb-globe-temperature-why-could-shutdown-the-air-force-marathon/UhvDAPdswaI6LW6f92tJbM/

This is what happened to me when my marathon was cancelled in 2012.
I don’t know what the WBGT was, but I was told the heat index was 88 on Saturday during my race.  And I felt like I had jumped in a swimming pool from the start with the humidity, was drenched the entire time.  Wet clothes + 36 hours = some serious chafing. 

But I get the intensity level of a marathon is a different animal.  And that’s gotta suck to put in the training, start the race, and have it cancelled.

I’ll tell you what’s real...that you’ve got yourself a Hardrock qualifier!  

Congrats dude!!
Yeah I do.  And let me tell you, after running this thing I have zero doubts why it’s one of very few HR100 qualifying races. I’ll touch on it during my report I’m sure, but climbing up a ridge line of flat, movable rocks with a several hundred (thousand?) foot drop off....by yourself....in the middle of night 2....lets just say even I was questioning my sanity at one point. I remember saying out loud ( because I hadn’t seen any people in an hour), “ you have a kid, what are you doing?”

I don’t know what the WBGT was, but I was told the heat index was 88 on Saturday during my race.  And I felt like I had jumped in a swimming pool from the start with the humidity, was drenched the entire time.  Wet clothes + 36 hours = some serious chafing. 

But I get the intensity level of a marathon is a different animal.  And that’s gotta suck to put in the training, start the race, and have it cancelled.
I think the concern is medical will be overwhelmed with the number of people needing attention in a short period of time. With ultras medical has their eye on everyone at the aid stations, right? 

:wub: simply awesome

I'm sure all of it was hard, but looking at some of those drops - -900ft in mile 92 had to hurt like hell.  

You're an inspiration.

Somehow I missed that this was fairly close to Charlottesville. That area is beautiful, I miss it. 
Thanks gb. That was one of the steeper fire roads I’ve ever seen. But I was so over it by that point that I slowly pulled away from the 4-5 runners I had been with for the last hour. Little did I know that those final 8 miles would be unlike anything I’ve ever experienced......

(yes, I’m teasing my own race report, which I really hope to knock out tomorrow).

I think the concern is medical will be overwhelmed with the number of people needing attention in a short period of time. With ultras medical has their eye on everyone at the aid stations, right? 
Not everyone, and not every aid station has medical people. But your point is a good one - the smaller numbers in most ultras allow medical to at least sometimes observe people as they come in.  Or in my case at AC100 be waiting for me when I arrived because he’d been warned. 

I did hear a story this morning of a female runner who was peeing blood sometime on Saturday night. Apparently she was able to get to a fire road so they could get a Jeep in to pull her out. The guy described hearing her screaming over the radio when the driver of the Jeep radioed in. 

So after a week off and very little improvement with my knee pain, I headed to the doctor on Thursday. He said it's probably tendinitis, gave me some prescription nsaids, and told me to keep resting it for another two weeks.  :kicksrock:  He emphasized the importance of easing into mileage and not taking on too much too fast.

What I'm wondering is, how much is "too much too fast?"  My weekly mileage totals have gone 14, 16, 19, 21, 24 - didn't seem like crazy increases at the time, but my knees said otherwise. Once I'm running again, I'm not sure where I should start and how fast I should step it up. I found three main schools of thought when I googled this - 

• Don't increase more than 10% of last week's mileage
  • Don't increase more than 2-3 miles/week (I had been doing this)
  • Increase one mile for every time you run in a week, then stay at that mileage for three weeks before increasing again
Bullet #3 seems *very* conservative, but since I'm apparently a delicate little flower, maybe that's the way to go. Just seems like it would take forever to reach any sort of decent weekly mileage. What do you think would be a reasonable attack plan?

Very cool comments on my strava from a couple people who ran with me today.   Also just posted a pic of a comment made on the race FB page about me from someone who ran with me.

Very gratifying and fulfilling day for me.  I’ll share more details in the coming days.

Back to the grind tomorrow AM.

I get what you're saying, and I'll certainly focus more on whatever the main goal is at the time, but I refuse to completely give up on strength training just because I'm running. It might be ten minutes of pullups instead of 90 focused on legs. 
First and most importantly, good luck with your little warrior.  Second just to clarify, it isn't one or the other; it's one is the priority.  Instead of having devoted strength training sessions it'll be more like 10 minute circuits after an easier run.  During strength seasons it'll be schedule a lunch lift and an optional evening run; if I am out of gas for the day then tap out of the run.  The quantity and quality of SoS runs (good acronym - aaand stolen) will also decrease, but when I have the time/energy for them I'll do them.  More than one per week will be difficult though.

@MAC_32good luck with the new plans. Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. I tend to focus on one race at a time, but I'm always doing road 5ks so there is never new prep per se. Only potential flaw in the plan is that if you happen to have a bad day on race day then the outcome may not reflect the preparation if you don't allow yourself the chance for a redo. I'm sure you have considered this.
I am curious how I'll respond if I have a couple of poor ones in a row since that's essentially it for the year, but given my last 12-15 months I'm cautiously optimistic.  I believe I wrote it in my 2016 year-end report, but I'll never have a year like that again.  Now that the bar has been elevated it's going to be increasingly difficult to best those efforts.  I wandered aimlessly through 2017 and while I pr'd the half in October it was not a good race.  I overcame some neck-up battles to BQ spring 2018, but between race day fueling decisions and those early winter setbacks I didn't qualify by enough to make it in the race.  So in some backwards way you could say I've had two subpar races in a row.  And I'm still comfortable with this approach, which weighed heavily in deciding this would be my new approach - if failure starts to impact my mind set and output the re-evaluate, but I like my chances.  Preciate the feedback though  :thumbup:

bud29 said:
So after a week off and very little improvement with my knee pain, I headed to the doctor on Thursday. He said it's probably tendinitis, gave me some prescription nsaids, and told me to keep resting it for another two weeks.  :kicksrock:  He emphasized the importance of easing into mileage and not taking on too much too fast.

What I'm wondering is, how much is "too much too fast?"  My weekly mileage totals have gone 14, 16, 19, 21, 24 - didn't seem like crazy increases at the time, but my knees said otherwise. Once I'm running again, I'm not sure where I should start and how fast I should step it up. I found three main schools of thought when I googled this - 

• Increase one mile for every time you run in a week, then stay at that mileage for three weeks before increasing again
Bullet #3 seems *very* conservative, but since I'm apparently a delicate little flower, maybe that's the way to go. Just seems like it would take forever to reach any sort of decent weekly mileage. What do you think would be a reasonable attack plan?
That mileage increase seems reasonable to me. Have you gotten a foam roller yet and stretched your IT bands?

JShare87 said:
Waking up this morning (sore as hell although I can't really complain after Duck), this was one of the first things I thought of. It really was a big mistake. 

Ignoring the obvious reason of sitting behind and watching that for miles, it would have been ideal to start my first few miles at that pace, which adjusting for weather would have actually been perfect for me, and then started to race the second half.

I completely blew that opportunity.  

As @bushdocda said, yesterday was a serious gut check and a reminder that you can prep all you want but have to be able to adjust as well as a reminder that none of this is easy. As prepared as I thought I was, this was a new distance for me and I didn't respect that enough. 

While I'm still disappointed in how things went, I feel much better overall about the whole thing and realize that I still got through it.  Most of that is from the feedback you all gave. Big thanks.

Well, off to Italy tomorrow for several days. I plan on getting a few runs in over there but nothing crazy.  

I really don't know where I went wrong.  Maybe I didn't do enough of the really longer runs in my training.  And I know this is a new distance for me.  But man, I wasn't expecting this. 

There's no question at this point that I'm simply a better shorter distance runner (5K and 10K) and that my wife owns me at these longer distances.  Based on our training, I should have smoked her today.  By a lot. 
I'm not going to repeat what others have said (they're right though) but three things jumped out at me with your training that I intentionally never commented on until now because the last thing you needed pre-race were additional reasons for doubt.  

#1 - quantity of miles, 23-23-22-26-19-37-26-27-20-16.  That's your weekly mileage output for the last 10 weeks.  It probably seems like a large number to you because you're still new (remind yourself of that!) and it's enough to run a half, but race a half?  I'm not going to say no, but it's definitely more difficult.

#2 - the friggin heat, and I'm not just referring to raceday conditions.  You've been running in boiling heat all summer.  You physically cannot effectively train to race in those conditions.  Your ability for quality training would be enhanced with a goal race in late fall or late spring since you'll then have conditions in which you can actually get in some quality workouts.  I get that you felt like you had some quality workouts despite the heat, but tbh I think your body just normalized to the conditions.  It may have felt effective but really wasn't.

#3 - the schedule, there are several that wander around here that have proven they can over come scheduling difficulties but they've also been doing it for years.  That whole normalization thing again.  They can go on a work trip or vacation and maintain 90% of where they were prior.  It drives me mad because I want to figure out how to do the same and quite simply haven't yet.  Anytime I'm outside of my structure it's 2 days for every one day that I'm out to get it back.  And while that Vegas trip led to a quality 10K (despite fatigue you were sufficiently tapered) it probably played a role in your struggles yesterday.  Your training picture looks a whole lot different if you built on the momentum from your 37 mile week and did 4 of those in a row.  Instead you net just 19 then struggled getting into a groove again before a weekend trip to KC then next thing you knew you were set to taper for the half.  

I've probably written it before, but there are more reasons than just optimization why I'm shifting my racing approach.  And they're heavily schedule influenced.  Summer and Fall are friggin busy and it's only going to get busier.  Training isn't a priority for me and I treat it as such.  Whenever I can get quality or quantity in I will, but I'm not going to force the issue.  I get the sense that's the case with you too.  And I think that's a good thing.  But scheduling early Fall races is an exercise in futility.  I can do them, but I'm not going to do it as well as I want/can.  Because I'm not going to prioritize my own training, especially in that heat, and ultimately that's the most important thing - race day success is primarily just a function of one's training.  'Raceday is a victory lap" as one of my good friends puts it.  You can be a good distance runner if you want to.  You're not just a good short distance runner; you're just better at it right now because that's a product of your current training.  More miles and more quality (in reasonable conditions!) and that will change.  So next time around I urge you to really think about a late fall or late spring race...when you don't have trips planned 2-6 weeks prior anyway.

That mileage increase seems reasonable to me. Have you gotten a foam roller yet and stretched your IT bands?
I have - it feels really nice after I roll/stretch everything out, but it didn't seem to do much for the knee flare-ups. Once the inflammation dies down, though, I'm hoping that consistent rolling keeps it from coming back. The good news is that after 10+ days of rest, walking no longer aggravates it and I'm feeling a lot better. Just concerns me that I got to this point so quickly with so few miles.

gianmarco said:
Yes, that was my longest distance I've ever run. I had an 11.5 mile run a few weeks ago that was longest. It was a good run although obviously not at race pace.
One last thing - understanding my wife and I are just two data points, but...

My best half when I never did a training run over 13 miles - 1:34/my wife's - 1:55

My first half when I did three training runs > 13 miles - 1:25/my wife's 1:48

bud29 said:

I get that it seems counter intuitive, but - go slower.  And do everything slowly.  Whatever you think is slow probably isn't slow enough.  So go even slower than that.  After 6-8 weeks of that if you're symptom free then start testing out some quality, maybe once per week.  Then everything else at that 'excessively' slow pace.

Think, long game.  This approach won't lead to any quality racing in fall, but it will set you up for a much better spring - if you can maintain health.

Ok... I'm back. Kind of avoided this as I've kind of been depressed over the whole ankle thing - worst I have hurt it in a very long time.

2 weeks ago yesterday I rolled my left ankle bad enough that I basically could barely move Sunday afternoon. Monday-Wednesday I had a pretty major limp. After about a week, I could more or less walk normal but was exhausted by the end of the day. I've done a little stationary bike and a little on an elliptical. Today was the first day I have run since I rolled it. Did 2.5 miles in 24.30. Mostly felt good, a little sore to start but loosened up ok. 

I'm doing a half marathon in 4 weeks. Basically looking for some advice here. Originally had 7 weeks to train with some aggressive goals in mind of how I might do. Now, I just want to be able to do it in any time and be able to walk afterwards. Original plan is posted a while back and was very workable, imo. Now, I'm just planning to get some miles on my legs over the next month and just have a nice long, slow run on 11/3. 

Any advice on a plan? Figure I'll do 2-3 miles 3 or 4 days a week and then go out on long runs on Saturday mornings. Anything else I can/should do?

Thanks gb. That was one of the steeper fire roads I’ve ever seen. But I was so over it by that point that I slowly pulled away from the 4-5 runners I had been with for the last hour. Little did I know that those final 8 miles would be unlike anything I’ve ever experienced......

(yes, I’m teasing my own race report, which I really hope to knock out tomorrow).
Hey, please knock mine out while you're at it.  TIA.  :thumbup:    :whistle:

Some great feedback for you, @gianmarco, from everyone else in here much more familiar with training and racing half marathons. And how about @MAC_32‘s notebook skills?  That’s next level attention to detail right there.

From my perspective, and pretty much all things already touched on:

• More mileage.  I think most importantly is consistency leading to increased weekly mileage, but also pushing those long runs up to 14-15 miles, at least a couple per cycle.  Like you, I’m pretty sure I had never run 13.1 before I ran my first half, just like I’d never run 26 before my first marathon. But if you want to “race” these things to your own potential, teach your body and more importantly your mind that the distance won’t be an issue, then you can just focus on pace and race execution.
  • @Ned hit on the nutrition thing already, and that’s obviously a huge interest and focus of mine.  For 2 hours or less, you really shouldn’t need much other than maybe water/electrolyte drink (definitely on a hot day).  But you need to train that way as well.  Doesn’t need to be every run, and definitely not for a key pace-based workout, but incorporate fasted long or longish runs into your schedule.  Teach your body to burn fat efficiently, and between that and the 2500 or so calories of glycogen/glucose you’re carrying around you’ll be more than fine getting through a 2 hour effort.
  • Always run behind the smoke show, especially if the pace is around where you need to be and it’s the beginning of the race.  And take pics.
All that said, I’d say the overall result, while personally disapointing, is still pretty damned impressive for your first time at the distance in not-ideal conditions.  So I still say congrats!

Hopefully that all makes sense, even after a decent night’s sleep I’m feeling pretty brain foggy today.

Any advice on a plan? Figure I'll do 2-3 miles 3 or 4 days a week and then go out on long runs on Saturday mornings. Anything else I can/should do?
With a race in 4 weeks, you really only have about 2 1/2 weeks to truly improve.  So not much you can do but get in some miles without overdoing it.  One consideration for the race, if you're undertrained for the distance, is to consider a run/walk strategy.  E.g., deliberately walk through the aid stations, which (a) ensures you take in a good amount of fluids, and (b) let's your body adjust (such as lowering the HR).  You might be itching to rush right back into the running, but those short breaks could pay off in the latter miles of the race.  Something to think about as you plan for the race.

@gianmarco - i don’t have much to add.  

The heat can’t be discounted.  Give yourself a break partially due to that.

Someone else mentioned it, and I’ll have to agree.  Your weekly mileage in training was lower than what I would want for a half marathon.  If you could get your weekly mileage near 40 with a 15 mile long run, it will do wonders for your HM time.  I think running that pace in that heat with your training shows you have some natural talent.  Now to harness it with a solid training cycle, you’ll see some serious gains.   

With running, volume is king.  The more you run (even if it’s slow easy runs) will result in faster times.

Don’t be discouraged.  I think you did great and you can learn from this and build on it for your next race!

Thanks fellas, bummed the tracking sucks. Not surprised, pretty old school race. 

Net net is that i limped, literally, into the finish in 35:46ish. My feet completely fell apart - blisters, macerated, likely black toenails and possible broken pinky toe. damn near half the course was rocks. Big rocks, small rocks, pointy rocks, round rocks, stable rocks, rocks that move. And those rocks ate me up. 

Of course I think this is all true. The last three hours out there I was hallucinating and paranoid. Still not really sure what is real, other than I know I’ve been awake since Friday morning. 

More to come, but I’m going to close my eyes for a bit....
Congrats, @SFBayDuck.  My buddy is talking about maybe doing a 100-miler in the next few years.  There's a small part of me that's considering joining him...

On the topic of the size of runners, I’m watching the Chicago Marathon right now and Galen Rupp who is the same height and weight as me (well within a few pounds) looks like a giant out there.
I remember when Chris Solinsky broke 27 in the 10K.  At 6'1" and 160 pounds, he was the first man over 6 feet and over 141 pounds to do it.  And he towered over the rest of the runners.  I can't image how I look at 6'4" and 200 lbs.

SteelCurtain said:
Very cool comments on my strava from a couple people who ran with me today.   Also just posted a pic of a comment made on the race FB page about me from someone who ran with me.

Very gratifying and fulfilling day for me.  I’ll share more details in the coming days.

Back to the grind tomorrow AM.
Congrats on a job well done.  Pacing is awesome, right?! 

@gianmarco, congrats on gutting it out despite the tough conditions.  FWIW, I wouldn't have even bothered starting in weather like that, so you've already got me beat.  

In terms of nutrition, I know that @Ned and @SFBayDuck are all about fasting and fat adaptation and blah blah blah, but I still like to use two GUs during half marathons, one around mile 5 and another one around mile 9-10.  But that's just me.

Again, congrats on a job well done!

Just got my last 4 weeks from my coach.  How's this for my last 20 miler this Saturday:

Miles 1-6 at 7:40 pace and miles 7-11 at 7:30 pace.  Use mile 12 to work down to "lower 7:00 pace."  Miles 13-16 at 6:55-7:00.  Miles 17-20 at 6:45-6:50.

Fun!  :unsure:

I remember when Chris Solinsky broke 27 in the 10K.  At 6'1" and 160 pounds, he was the first man over 6 feet and over 141 pounds to do it.  And he towered over the rest of the runners.  I can't image how I look at 6'4" and 200 lbs.
Does this mean that at 6'6"/165lbs I have a built-in excuse for being slow?  In addition to being old (45)?

6'6", 165?!  Jesus, you're skinnier than @Juxtatarot and @tri-man 47!  Do you disappear when you turn sideways?
Yeah I have nothing for upper-body muscle mass and really fine-boned (always been a thing for me -- my dad, too).  Even with all this hiking/running I have very little definition in my calves/quads.  

Once I get past this HM in Nov I might add a weekly weight session to my training.  But for now I just need to keep the hiking/running volume as high as I can despite the ####ty weather here up north (record Oct snow in Calgary this year).

I'm almost at the halfway point Higdon HM Intermediate 2, seems like a good time to give yall an update.  This is the best I've felt running in a long time, if not ever.  Think I've finally found that happy balance in life.  

Week 1 - 19.2 miles

Week 2 - 22.5 miles

Week 3 - 11.4.  This was my only bad week.  Rolled my ankle that Monday and took off the newt 2 days.  I hated it at the time, but it was the right call. Missed 2 runs which would have put me at about 17 miles total.  It was a "cut back week" anyways.  Still did the 5K that week and thought it went well, 25:13. 

Week 4 - 22.5 miles  Long run was 7 miles at 10:36.  HR avg was 133 which had my pumped.  That was with an SI of 150 too.  

Week 5 is under way.  Had a nice 7x400 run this morning.  Speed work is still foreign to me, but I enjoy it.  Avg pace on the intervals ended up a little erratic.  Had a stiff breeze coming off the water I did half my runs into.  It was everywhere from 7:20 pace to 7:53.  Garmin HRM has been acting funky lately but I took my apple watch and my HR was 165-171 during the ints.  Guess thats where it needs to be?  

I'm seeing lots of improvement with myself thats got me excited.  Its not the weather either.  Still dealing with a SI of around 150 most mornings.  Things are finally going to cool off this weekend.  Just weeks ago it would feel like a struggle to break a 10 min mile at an easy pace.  Now an easy pace is around 9:45 or so.  Love running in my new neighborhood too.  Its a circle thats right over 1 mile.  2 nice long straightaways and one decent hill, decent for here at least.   It probably looks maddening to yall, but I enjoy it.   

I've become a bit skeptical about the plan now with now.  My longest run is 12 miles.  Should I modify that at all?  The plan creeps up the long run 1 mile at a time and tops out at 12 on week 11.  I don't feel like I'd be over exerting myself if I modified it to bump all the runs up by 2 miles or so.  

Also I'm interested in @Ned fasting diet.  As of right now 100% of these runs are on an empty stomach.  Its really unintentional too.  I just get up and go in the morning.  With the exception of the long run and the tempo run nothing I do right now is over 45 minutes and I feel fine.   

My longest run is 12 miles.  Should I modify that at all?  The plan creeps up the long run 1 mile at a time and tops out at 12 on week 11.  I don't feel like I'd be over exerting myself if I modified it to bump all the runs up by 2 miles or so.  
Take it one week at a time - if this week says 8 then i'd set out with 10 on my mind but with bail outs at 8 and 9 if my body's had enough.  Then I'd approach each week thereafter similarly.  If your body behaves then you can increase it > plan, but if it doesn't you can audible back to the original.

I'm almost at the halfway point Higdon HM Intermediate 2, seems like a good time to give yall an update.  This is the best I've felt running in a long time, if not ever.  Think I've finally found that happy balance in life.  

Week 1 - 19.2 miles

Week 2 - 22.5 miles

Week 3 - 11.4.  This was my only bad week.  Rolled my ankle that Monday and took off the newt 2 days.  I hated it at the time, but it was the right call. Missed 2 runs which would have put me at about 17 miles total.  It was a "cut back week" anyways.  Still did the 5K that week and thought it went well, 25:13. 

Week 4 - 22.5 miles  Long run was 7 miles at 10:36.  HR avg was 133 which had my pumped.  That was with an SI of 150 too.  

Week 5 is under way.  Had a nice 7x400 run this morning.  Speed work is still foreign to me, but I enjoy it.  Avg pace on the intervals ended up a little erratic.  Had a stiff breeze coming off the water I did half my runs into.  It was everywhere from 7:20 pace to 7:53.  Garmin HRM has been acting funky lately but I took my apple watch and my HR was 165-171 during the ints.  Guess thats where it needs to be?  

I'm seeing lots of improvement with myself thats got me excited.  Its not the weather either.  Still dealing with a SI of around 150 most mornings.  Things are finally going to cool off this weekend.  Just weeks ago it would feel like a struggle to break a 10 min mile at an easy pace.  Now an easy pace is around 9:45 or so.  Love running in my new neighborhood too.  Its a circle thats right over 1 mile.  2 nice long straightaways and one decent hill, decent for here at least.   It probably looks maddening to yall, but I enjoy it.   

I've become a bit skeptical about the plan now with now.  My longest run is 12 miles.  Should I modify that at all?  The plan creeps up the long run 1 mile at a time and tops out at 12 on week 11.  I don't feel like I'd be over exerting myself if I modified it to bump all the runs up by 2 miles or so.  

Also I'm interested in @Ned fasting diet.  As of right now 100% of these runs are on an empty stomach.  Its really unintentional too.  I just get up and go in the morning.  With the exception of the long run and the tempo run nothing I do right now is over 45 minutes and I feel fine.   
This all sounds oh so familiar very recently. Awesome to read.  Great job and keep with it.... It's amazing to see the results at the end.

I started tracking all of my intake on myfitnesspal and was watching my macros closely.  I was eating a lot of carbs every day when I first started; 4-500 grams per day.  I worked that down to around half of that at peak marathon training (70mpw).  I focused on eating high fat/high protein and avoided the simple sugars, processed carbs, etc.  I coupled that with running all of my workouts fasted (it was a slow process of doing it on just shorter recovery runs and worked up to doing 20 milers fasted).  The fasted runs were running with water only - no carbs taken in during the runs except for dress rehearsal runs where I made sure my stomach could still handle the sudden surge of carbs.  

My previous races were always with a gel every 5mi, but after changing my diet and training fasted I cut that back to 2 gels in a marathon instead of 5.  It's still a lifestyle for me, but I don't track any more.  I'm probably eating more carbs than back in 2014 when I was really into it, but I am still mindful of that balance.

ETA: I stopped carb loading pre-race also.  I'm a firm disbeliever in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started tracking all of my intake on myfitnesspal and was watching my macros closely.  I was eating a lot of carbs every day when I first started; 4-500 grams per day.  I worked that down to around half of that at peak marathon training (70mpw).  I focused on eating high fat/high protein and avoided the simple sugars, processed carbs, etc.  I coupled that with running all of my workouts fasted (it was a slow process of doing it on just shorter recovery runs and worked up to doing 20 milers fasted).  The fasted runs were running with water only - no carbs taken in during the runs except for dress rehearsal runs where I made sure my stomach could still handle the sudden surge of carbs.  

My previous races were always with a gel every 5mi, but after changing my diet and training fasted I cut that back to 2 gels in a marathon instead of 5.  It's still a lifestyle for me, but I don't track any more.  I'm probably eating more carbs than back in 2014 when I was really into it, but I am still mindful of that balance.

Can you list some examples of types of foods you would eat to be able to sustain your nutrition? I'm probably on a heavy carb and lean protein diet for the most part  - lots of pasta, chicken, potatoes, lean red meats, fruits, veggies, etc. Has definitely helped it out, but would like to get even healthier. 

Can you list some examples of types of foods you would eat to be able to sustain your nutrition? I'm probably on a heavy carb and lean protein diet for the most part  - lots of pasta, chicken, potatoes, lean red meats, fruits, veggies, etc. Has definitely helped it out, but would like to get even healthier. 
I'm far from a perfect eater, but I do try hard most times.  I used to get mad about letting myself slip up with junk, but I've learned over time to just let it go.  It's not worth the stress of eating chick fil a every once in a while.  Spicy chicken sandwich  :wub:  

Most of my protein sources are eggs, chicken, venison, and just about any fish (I love salmon).  I don't intentionally avoid beef - it's just that I enjoy my deer hunting and usually have a chest freezer full of it  :)  .  It helps that venison is healthier.  I'll eat a steak or a burger if that's what's for dinner.  Hell I ran my HM PR on a burger/fries the night before thx to @comfortably numb  :lol:  

I completely avoid pastas and most breads - I'll have an english muffin or a wrap, but that's about it.  Otherwise I just try to be sensible with my carb sources - potatoes, rice etc are all fair game.  

A typical day:

Breakfast = 2-3 eggs in various forms (all kinds of omelettes and wraps).  I'll have sausage (pork) with a wrap or sometimes a English muffin sandwich.

Lunch = grilled chicken and cheese wrap with mustard and tons of spinach (huge fan of spinach)..... greek yogurt, blueberries (try to eat them every day), banana, etc.  I'll eat chips to satisfy that vice from time to time (weakness).

Dinner = whatever my wife cooks, I eat.  It's usually venison or chicken based with rice and veggies as the sides.  Try to eat spinach salads when we can, but we're not as good about that as I'd like (it gets boring really quick).  

Snacks = I'm a chocolate fiend - my go to is almond bark thins.  If a doctor tells me I can't have these, I'll throat punch'em.  :boxing:   Almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc - I think nuts are great.  Apples dipped in natural peanutbutter is friggin heaven.  Veggies in hummus.  Just a few off the top of my head.

I know I've posted it way back when, but I think it's so damn hard to eat clean and get enough calories in for runners.  You almost have to cheat to get properly fueled.

This thread is moving way too fast! 

@SteelCurtain - great job with the pacing.  Look forward to hearing more about that experience! 

@SFBayDuck - really looking forward to this race report.  Good for you toughening up out there.  I thought PBM's puking was the effort threshold level, but you've reset the bar. 

@gianmarco - welp, the outcomes weren't what you looking for, but it certainly wasn't for lack of game planning/ strategy.  In the grand scheme of things, though, you are still new to races.  Each distance is its own beast and takes a few tries to master.   Personally, I'd rather fail the first couple of times from going too hard than finish with tons left in the tank - much better way to find your optimal pace for that distance. 

I'm far from a perfect eater, but I do try hard most times.  I used to get mad about letting myself slip up with junk, but I've learned over time to just let it go.  It's not worth the stress of eating chick fil a every once in a while.  Spicy chicken sandwich  :wub:  

Most of my protein sources are eggs, chicken, venison, and just about any fish (I love salmon).  I don't intentionally avoid beef - it's just that I enjoy my deer hunting and usually have a chest freezer full of it  :)  .  It helps that venison is healthier.  I'll eat a steak or a burger if that's what's for dinner.  Hell I ran my HM PR on a burger/fries the night before thx to @comfortably numb  :lol:  

I completely avoid pastas and most breads - I'll have an english muffin or a wrap, but that's about it.  Otherwise I just try to be sensible with my carb sources - potatoes, rice etc are all fair game.  

A typical day:

Breakfast = 2-3 eggs in various forms (all kinds of omelettes and wraps).  I'll have sausage (pork) with a wrap or sometimes a English muffin sandwich.

Lunch = grilled chicken and cheese wrap with mustard and tons of spinach (huge fan of spinach)..... greek yogurt, blueberries (try to eat them every day), banana, etc.  I'll eat chips to satisfy that vice from time to time (weakness).

Dinner = whatever my wife cooks, I eat.  It's usually venison or chicken based with rice and veggies as the sides.  Try to eat spinach salads when we can, but we're not as good about that as I'd like (it gets boring really quick).  

Snacks = I'm a chocolate fiend - my go to is almond bark thins.  If a doctor tells me I can't have these, I'll throat punch'em.  :boxing:   Almonds, cashews, peanuts, etc - I think nuts are great.  Apples dipped in natural peanutbutter is friggin heaven.  Veggies in hummus.  Just a few off the top of my head.

I know I've posted it way back when, but I think it's so damn hard to eat clean and get enough calories in for runners.  You almost have to cheat to get properly fueled.
http://static.quickmeme.com/img/d7/d748d4018cb471d357409c9306477a336645cce5cfa2bf861895546983b07703.jpg

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Just got my last 4 weeks from my coach.  How's this for my last 20 miler this Saturday:

Miles 1-6 at 7:40 pace and miles 7-11 at 7:30 pace.  Use mile 12 to work down to "lower 7:00 pace."  Miles 13-16 at 6:55-7:00.  Miles 17-20 at 6:45-6:50.

Fun!  :unsure:
Good luck with the 20 miler, I know you mentioned before that you were running less 20 milers this cycle.  I haven't decided if I am going to run one or not.  I plan on jumping up to 18 this Sunday and we'll see how that goes. I have decided to move Thursday's MP run to Friday because of weather so Sunday's run could be a challenge.

Good luck with the 20 miler, I know you mentioned before that you were running less 20 milers this cycle.  I haven't decided if I am going to run one or not.  I plan on jumping up to 18 this Sunday and we'll see how that goes. I have decided to move Thursday's MP run to Friday because of weather so Sunday's run could be a challenge.
That cold front can't come through soon enough, huh?

I scaled back last week since I had bumped mileage up pretty consistently over September.  Feels good to look back to the beginning of the month and see a nice chunk of improvement.  

Tu - 4 easy @ 9:27/145; ran at soccer practice.  Felt alright.

We - 10mi mtn bike ride; I haven't ridden a serious mtn bike ride in a couple of weeks.  I saw a big difference in my recovery between sprints.  It's amazing how different mtn biking is than anything else.  It's just a series of sprints + hills with recovery in between while the group regroups.  Fun stuff.

Th - 5.5 easy @ 10:02/142; Running at soccer practice again, this time the first 3 were with my sister so it was considerably slower.  I could definitely feel yesterday's ride in my quads.

Fr - 6 easy @ 8:56/149; I felt pretty good here today.  I had to force myself to keep slowing down.

Su - 10 @ 9:02/152.  Weird run.  I had to work to slow down again at the beginning, but then got stuck in that pace and couldn't break out of it when I started to get tired.

Another good 5hr week with 25mi running + 10mi mtn biking

Users who are viewing this thread