What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

I’m eating a 5 egg omelette with some onion and celery, with Italian seasoning. 

I don’t think I’ve ever had a 5 egger before. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a 4 egger now that I think about it. 

I remember reading some of you who like eggs before running. That’s still horrible and disgusting. However, eggs after is :bowtie:

Saturday I am racing a 5 miler that I have run the past 3 years and while I have no shot to PR 29:22, it would be nice to beat my 2nd best time of 29:54.  I am behind where I would like to be, but that is due to a minor calf injury from earlier in the year. It has been a while since I have raced so it will be fun to compete a bit, plus it should give an indication whether or not a half PR is possible in March.
Today went as well as it could have, ran a 29:51. I guess a half marathon PR may be possible.

tri-man 47 said:
@Brony - ugh!  If we catch a spring race with @Juxtatarot (Air-reek'), maybe I should just bring a hacksaw and we'll cut your legs off.  They're not serving you very well.  
it's a deal.  cut them after the race preferably. 

I don't have any spring races circled on the calendar, so let me know if you have one in mind. 

Went with the treadmill option. First 5 miles 37:29 (7:29 avg), middle 5 miles 35:57 (7:11), last 5 miles 33:26 (6:41). Last mile 6:27. Overall average 7:07.

Honestly felt comfortable the whole way. With 5 weeks to go, I'm feeling really fit. Looking forward to adding a bit more fitness and then letting 'er rip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain all day in KC today, so treadmill time. Son had a hockey game at 10:20, and the rink he was playing in had a gym. So I left early and decided to get my workout in there before the game.

It is a smaller gym, so they had the treadmills facing a mirrored wall. So that was a plus - got to look at my beautiful self for 8 miles. So I’m rolling along, and I look down and see this little button with a fan blade on it. So I’m thinking, wonder what this does.

So I push it, and all of a sudden this treadmill starts blowing cool air on me. WHY THE FOOK DID YOU GUYS NOT TELL ME THIS WAS POSSIBLE??!???!!!???

Holy Smokes that was a game changer. Felt delightful and refreshed this whole run. And after about 4 miles this cute young honey walked in and started running on a treadmill a few places down. Yowzaa.

If this community center wasn’t 30 miles from home this would be my new home treadmill base.

Rain all day in KC today, so treadmill time. Son had a hockey game at 10:20, and the rink he was playing in had a gym. So I left early and decided to get my workout in there before the game.

It is a smaller gym, so they had the treadmills facing a mirrored wall. So that was a plus - got to look at my beautiful self for 8 miles. So I’m rolling along, and I look down and see this little button with a fan blade on it. So I’m thinking, wonder what this does.

So I push it, and all of a sudden this treadmill starts blowing cool air on me. WHY THE FOOK DID YOU GUYS NOT TELL ME THIS WAS POSSIBLE??!???!!!???

Holy Smokes that was a game changer. Felt delightful and refreshed this whole run. And after about 4 miles this cute young honey walked in and started running on a treadmill a few places down. Yowzaa.

If this community center wasn’t 30 miles from home this would be my new home treadmill base.
Did you explain the fan button to her? "Excuse me miss. Did you know that you have quite a fan in here?" 

Went with the treadmill option. First 5 miles 37:29 (7:29 avg), middle 5 miles 35:57 (7:11), last 5 miles 33:26 (6:41). Last mile 6:27. Overall average 7:07.

Honestly felt comfortable the whole way. With 5 weeks to go, I'm feeling really fit. Looking forward to adding a bit more fitness and then letting 'er rip!
5 weeks and I can't wait! 10 miles for me today and it felt awesome. Really looking forward to Carmel. 

Seriously... I am completely jacked up to do this. Was talking with a couple friends lately that noted my weight loss. We were then talking about my running adventures. Which made me realize that I have been doing this for right at 5 months and the gains I have had running (and the losses I've had in weight/fat %) are really fun.

My first "long run" on strava was on Oct 13th and was 5 miles at 10:30 a mile and my HR averaged about 151 BPM. Just over 4 months later, I ran 10 miles averaging 8:18/mile and my HR averaged 157 BPM. 

HR comparison isn't apples to apples. I had my Fitbit hr2 then verses the Garmin now. But close enough for me.
Just got a Charge 3 that lasted a total of 1 day before it died so while waiting for a replacement, I’ve been wearing my Forerunner 735xt all the time.  For non-running activity, it is showing me almost identical HR stats.  It actually surprised me.

Foreplay.

hey Hanson people.  

Thinking of using two pairs of shoes...one heavier max cushioned, one for SOS tempo and race day. That make sense or should I be look into something different?
It does.  Quite frankly, I rotate about 6-8 pairs through. I use my newer shoes on SOS days and older ones on easy days.

i have some flats that are lighter that i use periodically on a speed workout but the bulk of mine are in Hoka Clifton 4’s.  Most recent few pairs lasted 500+ miles while my Brooks were good for 350ish.

My gym has probably 30 treadmills. Five of them have fans. And if all five are being used, I will wait...even if all the other 25 are open.

####, winter in Calgary can really grate on me sometimes.

Yesterday we got a couple inches of snow so I did my easy 10K on the treadmill.  Which sucked, as always.  Especially so, because on Saturdays I'm normally in the mountains.

I told myself that I would go out and clear the walk & driveway after my treadmill and that through the rest of the day the various other walks would get cleared so that Sunday morning (right now) I could do my planned long run (16k/10mi) outside.  

Get up this morning and it ####### mother####ing snowed again last night (it wasn't supposed to).  Not even a quarter inch but enough to cover all the walks/paths again and no hope for them to be cleared until late today or tomorrow.

:angry:   :rant: 🤬😡

Being close to the mountains rocks, but this winter #### gets really old this time of year.  And I've got at least two more months of it in front of me.

Maybe I need to move to California.  Too bad there are no airlines headquartered there.

But the immediate problem is what I'm going to do for my run this morning.  Not sure I can do 1.5 hours on the treadmill.  There's a 200m indoor track a short drive from my house.  80 laps of that?  Ugh.  Or I can just try to run outside despite the risky footing.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
It does.  Quite frankly, I rotate about 6-8 pairs through. I use my newer shoes on SOS days and older ones on easy days.

i have some flats that are lighter that i use periodically on a speed workout but the bulk of mine are in Hoka Clifton 4’s.  Most recent few pairs lasted 500+ miles while my Brooks were good for 350ish.
6-8 pairs?  Don’t you think that’s somewhat obsessive?  I only have 1 active pair of shoes. Well, and 3 swim suits, one Tri suit - wait 2. But only one bike. And 4 pairs of riding pants, 3 riding shirts. 2 chest straps, you know I need a dedicated swim one for the pool.  A bike computer edge 520 and a forerunner 920xt wrist wearable.

Thats a lot of shoes though!

Yesterday we got a couple inches of snow so I did my easy 10K on the treadmill.  Which sucked, as always.  Especially so, because on Saturdays I'm normally in the mountains.

I told myself that I would go out and clear the walk & driveway after my treadmill and that through the rest of the day the various other walks would get cleared so that Sunday morning (right now) I could do my planned long run (16k/10mi) outside.  

Get up this morning and it ####### mother####ing snowed again last night (it wasn't supposed to).  Not even a quarter inch but enough to cover all the walks/paths again and no hope for them to be cleared until late today or tomorrow.

Being close to the mountains rocks, but this winter #### gets really old this time of year.  And I've got at least two more months of it in front of me.

Maybe I need to move to California.  Too bad there are no airlines headquartered there.

But the immediate problem is what I'm going to do for my run this morning.  Not sure I can do 1.5 hours on the treadmill.  There's a 200m indoor track a short drive from my house.  80 laps of that?  Ugh.  Or I can just try to run outside despite the risky footing.
Have you considered running in place?

6-8 pairs?  Don’t you think that’s somewhat obsessive?  I only have 1 active pair of shoes. Well, and 3 swim suits, one Tri suit - wait 2. But only one bike. And 4 pairs of riding pants, 3 riding shirts. 2 chest straps, you know I need a dedicated swim one for the pool.  A bike computer edge 520 and a forerunner 920xt wrist wearable.

you need at least 6 pairs!*

*My livelihood might involve athletic shoes being purchased... 

I have 5 pair at all times. And...none of the other stuff. 

Days like today are why I'm happy I didnt train for a marathon this spring. 30 mph winds with gusts of 50-70. Nah, I'm good #PassTheWine

Well, I made it this long without my stomach/colon acting up - until yesterday that is. Mini-flare up that if I don’t get it under control will be problematic down the stretch. Basically didn’t sleep last night and evacuated most of my resources, if you know what I mean.

So my 16 miler today turned into a 14 miler. Felt great for most of it until my tank emptied. Luckily I had my wife drop me off from home 14 miles away instead of 16, or else I may be sleeping on the side of the road somewhere.

But on the bright side, the miles I got in were pretty good with a good heart rate. Say a prayer for my bowels. Thanks in advance.

Days like today are why I'm happy I didnt train for a marathon this spring. 30 mph winds with gusts of 50-70. Nah, I'm good #PassTheWine
Yeah days like today test my resolve.

Decided to get outside.  Some sections were uncleared even from yesterday and quite slow.  Most were just uncleared from last night so they were pretty easy.

A run outside today would have been interesting. Just came back from taking the dog for a walk and that was interesting enough. The winds are crazy out there. A couple of times I thought I was about to turn into a kite when my coat really caught the wind. Glad today is a rest day! It is sunny, however, so I am not complaining.

Strange day today. I took Friday off, and then yesterday after a 2 hour walk with the dog, some family time and errands, and then an afternoon hour walk the day just got away from me. So today after an hour walk with the pup I set out for a 2 1/2 hour run figuring I’d have fresh legs, but from the start they were just dead. So it turned into quite a hike-filled slog, and the route took three hours (probably would have been 2:40ish if I’d felt ok). 

Not a great confidence builder six days out from a 50K, that’s for sure. 

A run outside today would have been interesting. Just came back from taking the dog for a walk and that was interesting enough. The winds are crazy out there. A couple of times I thought I was about to turn into a kite when my coat really caught the wind. Glad today is a rest day! It is sunny, however, so I am not complaining.
There was at least one moment where I resembled a mime today.

It would have been a good day to attempt a CR on a strava segment heading east but my my body wasn't feeling it. 

The strangest time was running along a cross wind where the wind was pushing one leg into the other. 

Wow, that wind must have been everywhere. I ran basically into a gusting and cold west wind the whole time also. Probably 15-20 mph gusts. 

Strange day today. I took Friday off, and then yesterday after a 2 hour walk with the dog, some family time and errands, and then an afternoon hour walk the day just got away from me. So today after an hour walk with the pup I set out for a 2 1/2 hour run figuring I’d have fresh legs, but from the start they were just dead. So it turned into quite a hike-filled slog, and the route took three hours (probably would have been 2:40ish if I’d felt ok). 

Not a great confidence builder six days out from a 50K, that’s for sure. 
That’s the funny thing about running. You just never know what you are gonna get sometimes. And you move on.

You’ll kick ### as usual.

I'm in the grinding part of Boston training.  Week 12 began this morning with 4 x 1.5 miles at 6:40 pace.  I didn't want to be inside but 40-50 mph winds sent me to the gym. I set the treadmill at 1.5% incline, did a 1.5 mile warmup.....then got into the intervals. 

As usual, the first interval,  I was saying "This isn't bad. I could easily extend this to 2 - 2.5 miles if need be." 

The second one was an about face "Will I be able to finish this one?"

Third one "Maybe I'll move the incline down on my last one as I don't think I can keep this up."

Fourth one "I'm a BMF and there is no way I'll lower this incline.  Let's just get this done."

Wednesday, I need to run 9 miles at sub 7 minute miles.  Ugh.

Hard to imagine only 49 days until race day.  I've also been asked to lead a Boston training group pace run on 3/23.  Hoping I can swing it with the family.  Asked to run 7:30 paces for 20 miles.  Yikes!

I'll admit, I'm kind of wishing I signed up for Carmel.  I'm ready for this training cycle to be over!

Looking at this 10-day forecast feels like a kick in the balls.
Single-digit lows this weekend does not sound fun.

We've got our next storm series coming through this week, should bring 4"-6" of rain over the next 2-3 days to my local trails, and more importantly 2"-4" inches to the trails up in Cool where my race is.  It's supposed to let up Thursday and Friday....and then start again Saturday for race day. 

In other news, I either didn't realize or just forgot there was a wait list for Lake Sonoma 50M. That is until I received an email this morning saying I need to immediately accept or decline a spot in the race.  It's a local(ish) classic that I've wanted to run for a few years, but this is the first time I've actually put in for the lottery.  But I'm leaning toward declining the spot, as I think it just might be a little much for the first half of the year:

3/2:  50K

4/13:  Lake Sonoma 50M

5/4:  100K

6/7:  100M

I think I could pull it off, and obviously the distance progression is perfect.  But it would just take away some flexibility in training as I'd spend most of the next few months basically tapering and recovering, with maybe a week between each race of any sort of focused work.  I think it'd probably be a lot smarter to just run a local 50K in early April, if I'm feeling up for it.  There's just a huge difference in recovery between a 6 hour race and an 11 hour race.

2018-2019 - The Winter of Suck - Everywhere, USA

aka the year ChiefD signed up for a spring marathon, thus screwing it up for everyone else.
Every year around late February I'm fooled into thinking the worst part of winter is behind us.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.

In other news, I either didn't realize or just forgot there was a wait list for Lake Sonoma 50M. That is until I received an email this morning saying I need to immediately accept or decline a spot in the race.  It's a local(ish) classic that I've wanted to run for a few years, but this is the first time I've actually put in for the lottery.  But I'm leaning toward declining the spot, as I think it just might be a little much for the first half of the year:

3/2:  50K

4/13:  Lake Sonoma 50M

5/4:  100K

6/7:  100M

I think I could pull it off, and obviously the distance progression is perfect.  But it would just take away some flexibility in training as I'd spend most of the next few months basically tapering and recovering, with maybe a week between each race of any sort of focused work.  I think it'd probably be a lot smarter to just run a local 50K in early April, if I'm feeling up for it.  There's just a huge difference in recovery between a 6 hour race and an 11 hour race.
Maybe I'm just risk-averse but if either of those 100K or 100M races are really important to you, it might make sense to keep Apr race-free.  Things could work swimmingly but I imagine your risk of injury would be high given all the racing and comparatively low training.

But I'm so new to this I shouldn't be giving advice.  Only you know you!

Every year around late February I'm fooled into thinking the worst part of winter is behind us.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now.
Usually about this time Kansas starts to warm up a little bit, and by St. Patricks Day we will start to creep into the 70's. Doesn't look to be happening this year. Yet.

I miss Chicago.  Winter was a good 3 months shorter there.

I just checked and average *April* snowfall up here is greater than average Feb snowfall.  :wall:

2018-2019 - The Winter of Suck - Everywhere, USA

aka the year ChiefD signed up for a spring marathon, thus screwing it up for everyone else.
I get that writing this may not help anyone right now, but it only seems worse because to stick to your training schedule you have to make decisions you don't want to for basically 10 weeks in a row.  When it really isn't that much different than usual.  It just grinds away at you as the weeks pass by.  Then like @Juxtatarot just wrote, you spend all winter saying to yourself just get to the end of February...then you get there and forget that March isn't really any better.  It's just different.

I'm looking at my 10 day and I probably see why you guys aren't happy with yours - the temp numbers.  But my eyes actually went to different numbers - the wind.  The one thing I distinctly remember from last March is wind. wind. and more mind. Yet on this 10 day?  Only one day over 10 mph.  So yeah it may be a little colder than last year, but if the forecast holds I think it'll be more comfortable!

Anyway, tl;dr.  Late February/early March is just time to HTFU. You've made it this far.  Now finish the ####### thing.

p.s. remember how you feel right now before signing up for your next March/April race. I don't know how you guys do it year-after-year.  I'll be back out there again, but I couldn't fathom consecutive years of this.

Maybe I'm just risk-averse but if either of those 100K or 100M races are really important to you, it might make sense to keep Apr race-free.  Things could work swimmingly but I imagine your risk of injury would be high given all the racing and comparatively low training.

But I'm so new to this I shouldn't be giving advice.  Only you know you!
They are important, as the 100K is a States qualifier and the 100M is a Hardrock qualifier.  Which is why I think I'm going to pass on Sonoma.  I just don't want to be "forced" into running it if I'm feeling any niggles or injuries or just plain beat up, as that would just set me back.  It's already going to be an interesting 5 weeks with that 100K/100M combo, and I need to be feeling good going into that.

Users who are viewing this thread