Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

What time you figuring on getting into town? We may want to make a reservation at that place now.

I should be there late afternoon.  Anytime 5:00 or after would be fine.

by the way, that's got last year's date on it... hopefully they have something similar but without year old pasta!

• Laughing 1

4 hours ago, gruecd said:

Let's see, the shots are $1.39/ounce on Amazon.  Five gallons equals 640 ounces, so unless Beet It offers some kind of volume discount, that would be $889.60 per 5-gallon bottle of concentrated beet juice.  I just don't have that kind of scratch lying around...

But you'd be faster.

• Laughing 1

29 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

by the way, that's got last year's date on it... hopefully they have something similar but without year old pasta!

I called.  They said it will be "essentially" the same as last year.  

@ChiefD  @The Iguana  6:00 OK?  Will it be four (Chief, Chief's wife, Iguana, Juxt) or more?

almost certain that works for me. Will double check the family schedule when I get home shortly but fairly certain that it should work. 

5 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

@ChiefD  @The Iguana  6:00 OK?  Will it be four (Chief, Chief's wife, Iguana, Juxt) or more?

Yeah, that works for us. Maybe @gruecd and his buddy will join us?

Are you going to make the reservation?

5 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

By the way, about 15 minutes after downing two glasses of beet juice Saturday morning, I started sneezing and my nose started running.  I don't have a cold or anything so I wondered if that was cause by the beet juice.  Shortly after, I was fine.  Did anyone experience something similar?

Made me think of scenes in District 9  (starting at :55).  Come to think of it, many of us deal with lost toenails.  Maybe beet juice is the final act pushing us over to alien status.

Watch question:

I currently have a Garmin 235. It's the same as my wife's watch that I used for a few months last summer and worked great for me. HR monitor never gave me any problems.

Before my October HM, I finally got my own. After 3-4 weeks it was clear something wasn't right as it was screwing up the HR significantly. Not just being off, but sometimes just showing a straight line up or being fine then cutting out or vice versa.

Brought it back to the store, got another 235 and this one does the same thing. Sometimes it's fine and then others it's just way off or just plain broken (look at my run just now).

I had called Garmin a couple months ago, reset it, but no improvement. Just called back today. Here are options:

1) I can try another 235 (no cost)

2) I can try one of their watches with the newer optical HR sensor but pay the difference

-- Garmin 645 ($150 more) - reviews aren't that great on it

-- Garmin Instinct ($50 more) - reviews are actually really good but it's more of a rugged trail/hiking watch even though it can do running functions

3) There are a couple new watches coming out in the next couple months although she didn't know the specifics. I can wait and upgrade to one of them

4)  Forget the watch and just drink lots of beet juice, HR be damned.

I'm not currently training by HR but it's nice to know the data and potentially use it during a race. And no, I can't do the chest strap and yes, I know overall it's not always going to be accurate.

Thoughts?

Edited by gianmarco

40 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Confirmed that I am good to go. 

2 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Confirmed that I am good to go. 

Awesome. You'll know it's me when you see the guy in running shoes.

• Laughing 2

16 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Watch question:

I currently have a Garmin 235. It's the same as my wife's watch that I used for a few months last summer and worked great for me. HR monitor never gave me any problems.

Before my October HM, I finally got my own. After 3-4 weeks it was clear something wasn't right as it was screwing up the HR significantly. Not just being off, but sometimes just showing a straight line up or being fine then cutting out or vice versa.

Brought it back to the store, got another 235 and this one does the same thing. Sometimes it's fine and then others it's just way off or just plain broken (look at my run just now).

I had called Garmin a couple months ago, reset it, but no improvement. Just called back today. Here are options:

2) I can try one of their watches with the newer optical HR sensor but pay the difference

-- Garmin Instinct ($50 more) - reviews are actually really good but it's more of a rugged trail/hiking watch even though it can do running functions

3) There are a couple new watches coming out in the next couple months although she didn't know the specifics. I can wait and upgrade to one of them

I'm not currently training by HR but it's nice to know the data and potentially use it during a race. And no, I can't do the chest strap and yes, I know overall it's not always going to be accurate.

Thoughts?

I have the Garmin vivoactive 3 with music. Has been great on HR so far. Actually just got a pair of aftershocks bone conduction headphones this weekend. Will be doing my first run using the watch for music in a just a bit...

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

I love having the data and it's frustrating when it doesn't work right.

My Fenix 5+ will sometimes go wonky with HR.  Usually deep into a run, which I figure is sweat buildup.  Sometimes I have to move it around on my wrist or try to dry it off to get it to come back to "normal" readings.  Short runs it's normally quite good.

And a chest strap isn't the be-all/end-all of HR accuracy, either.  On my race Sunday, my chest strap was reading 179 at the start and that's just plain wrong (I'd be dead).  It took a good 2km for it to settle down.  Might just be a lack of moisture, but my point is that a chest strap could still give you issues.

Edited by Zasada

3 hours ago, matttyl said:

Wasn't a 10k, or even running related - but I did bike 94 miles Saturday - over gravel/mud/sand down in North Carolina.  First time ever doing anything like that, so didn't know what goal to set for myself like I could back when I was running.  Did it in under 7 hours, though, so I was happy with it. 

I did something very similar yesterday.  My buddy hooked me up with one of his road bikes and we biked about .94 miles before I turned around and said I was done.  My ### is still sore from the 10 minutes of riding we did.  After that little adventure, the chances of me doing that duathlon and riding 12 miles "for fun" are somehow less than 0.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

9 hours ago, gdub said:

So I have to ask about this beet juice stuff.  I did a little reading on it several months ago.  The article I read involved cyclists.  A couple of questions for you running guys who are taking it...

1.  How much are you taking?

2.  How soon before a race (week, days, hours?)

3.  Will this stuff help for a 5K?

Any personal experience with this stuff would be appreciated.

It may not be the most palatable performance booster but there’s a solid base of evidence to suggest that beetroot juice may help you perform better during exercise lasting between four and 30 minutes, thanks to its high content of nitrates. It’s important to note that the majority of studies showing a positive effect involved untrained or recreational athletes. Whether beetroot juice also benefits performance in elite athletes is unclear.

Avoid using antibacterial mouthwash, as this removes beneficial bacteria in the mouth that convert some of the nitrate to nitrite and thus reduces the benefits of beetroot juice. As for side effects, there’s a harmless, temporary, pink colouration of urine and stools.

The optimal dose is likely to be 600mg nitrate, equivalent to 2 x 70 ml concentrated beetroot ‘shots’, say University of Exeter researchers, although it has also proved to benefit performance in studies using 300 – 400mg (0.62 mg/kg body weight), equivalent to 500ml beetroot juice or a single 70ml shot. Both acute and chronic loads have an effect. Professor Jones suggests consuming one to two 70ml shots a day for three to five days before competition as well as two to three hours before the race starts (blood NO levels peak 2 – 3 hours after ingestion and approach baseline 12 hours later). Boost your overall dietary nitrate by including more green leafy veg – plus you’ll gain the benefits of other nutrients in these foods too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

I have the Garmin vivoactive 3 with music. Has been great on HR so far. Actually just got a pair of aftershocks bone conduction headphones this weekend. Will be doing my first run using the watch for music in a just a bit...

Question was originally about a watch but as mentioned, I picked up a set of the Aftershockz Trekz Air bone conduction headphones. These things are awesome. Actually have never been one to run with music, mostly because I hate ear buds and have never had headphones that were comfortable to run in. These are great. Very lightweight and barely noticeable on my head but could hear both the music and traffic around me while running. And the same boost I usually feel from lifting/working out with music was pretty nice on the run. Highly recommend them but for headphones they are a bit pricey.  

• Like 1

And on a completely other note... that run with them on was awesome! Gian kind of poked me a bit for running all my runs a little harder than I probably should be. Took his words to heart and the preview few runs I had were toned down a bit in pace. Today was meant to be a speed work out. When out for 6.6, averaged 7:45 over all and negative split the poop out of that #####! About 7:50/mile for the first 4 and 7:35/mile for the last 2.5. And I was totally under nourished. Starving right now!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

It may not be the most palatable performance booster but there’s a solid base of evidence to suggest that beetroot juice may help you perform better during exercise lasting between four and 30 minutes, thanks to its high content of nitrates. It’s important to note that the majority of studies showing a positive effect involved untrained or recreational athletes. Whether beetroot juice also benefits performance in elite athletes is unclear.

Avoid using antibacterial mouthwash, as this removes beneficial bacteria in the mouth that convert some of the nitrate to nitrite and thus reduces the benefits of beetroot juice. As for side effects, there’s a harmless, temporary, pink colouration of urine and stools.

The optimal dose is likely to be 600mg nitrate, equivalent to 2 x 70 ml concentrated beetroot ‘shots’, say University of Exeter researchers, although it has also proved to benefit performance in studies using 300 – 400mg (0.62 mg/kg body weight), equivalent to 500ml beetroot juice or a single 70ml shot. Both acute and chronic loads have an effect. Professor Jones suggests consuming one to two 70ml shots a day for three to five days before competition as well as two to three hours before the race starts (blood NO levels peak 2 – 3 hours after ingestion and approach baseline 12 hours later). Boost your overall dietary nitrate by including more green leafy veg – plus you’ll gain the benefits of other nutrients in these foods too.

I’m confused by the two parts I bolded.  They don’t seem to fit together.  What do you make of this? Maybe that it only helps you for high intensity activities that you could only sustain for up to 30 minutes? If so, it might not work well for a marathon.

29 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I’m confused by the two parts I bolded.  They don’t seem to fit together.  What do you make of this? Maybe that it only helps you for high intensity activities that you could only sustain for up to 30 minutes? If so, it might not work well for a marathon.

It's from this site and I think that's just a mistake.  Most things I've read shows it actually helps for endurance events.

• Thanks 1

I dabbled in Beet juice during my 1st marathon training plan, and I read this before. I was going to tell you all not to brush your teeth on raceday mornings so you didn’t lose nitrates. I refrained because I was scared of the backlash from our resident doctor.

Edited by JShare87
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Thoughts?

Re Garmin 235 : yeah it almost drove me nuts. Added a wahoo tickr to the 235 and it’s about 90% better. My 235 invariably would drop out or flatline just when I wanted it to work the most.  Beets taste better, water is wetter living that chest strap life. 

• Laughing 2

@gianmarco you should be able to hook up an external HR monitor to your watch now. At least I think you should.  IME chest straps have been more accurate than optical, especially optical in a watch.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Watch question:

https://trailrunnermag.com/training/why-you-should-be-skeptical-about-your-wrist-based-heart-rate.html

I've got the 235, too.  Doesn't really bother me because I train by perceived effort, not heart rate, but basically all wrist-based HRMs are garbage. :shrug:

13 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I did something very similar yesterday.  My buddy hooked me up with one of his road bikes and we biked about .94 miles before I turned around and said I was done.  My ### is still sore from the 10 minutes of riding we did.  After that little adventure, the chances of me doing that duathlon and riding 12 miles "for fun" are somehow less than 0.

I was on a cyclocross bike (think of a beefed up road bike with semi knobby tires).  I've also had a professional fitting of the bike to me, and was sporting some lovely spandex type bibs with padded butt.  That said, I couldn't feel anything from my nether regions after about 50 miles.  Really enjoyed it (as did the wife, she did the same distance) and we plan on going back next year. 

15 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Yeah, that works for us. Maybe @gruecd and his buddy will join us?

We've got a reservation at 6pm at a restaurant offsite.  But I'll text you guys when we get back so hopefully I can meet y'all in the lobby to say hello!

56 minutes ago, gruecd said:

but basically all wrist-based HRMs are garbage

I don't think so.  Aside from an infrequent irregularity, my Fenix 5+ (wrist based) tends to track well with my Wahoo chest strap.  DC Rainmaker's review (about halfway down the page) seems to show that it competes well with the chest strap (and is in some cases, better).

I think I'm going to try this approach when wearing my chest strap though.    

5 minutes ago, Zasada said:

I don't think so.  Aside from an infrequent irregularity, my Fenix 5+ (wrist based) tends to track well with my Wahoo chest strap.  DC Rainmaker's review (about halfway down the page) seems to show that it competes well with the chest strap (and is in some cases, better).

I think I'm going to try this approach when wearing my chest strap though.    

I haven't actually tested the accuracy of my watch but I have the Vivoactive 3 and it at least reports consistently - having spent more time looking at current and past runs that I probably want to admit and in comparing HR results from various runs at various pace and such, I have never seen any results that don't look reasonable. That's with a whopping 3 months of data behind it but I've never had it go crazy high or low, lose track, or any other similar things. 

5 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I haven't actually tested the accuracy of my watch but I have the Vivoactive 3 and it at least reports consistently - having spent more time looking at current and past runs that I probably want to admit and in comparing HR results from various runs at various pace and such, I have never seen any results that don't look reasonable. That's with a whopping 3 months of data behind it but I've never had it go crazy high or low, lose track, or any other similar things. 

Yeah I can't speak to the Vivoactive 3, but I just wanted to point out that not all optical HR monitors are garbage.  I actually think my Fenix 5+ is pretty good. 

3 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Yeah, I think my Vivoactive 3 is reasonable.  It reads bad in stretches but not that often.

Scosche Rhythm + might still be the best and I miss my old one.  

13 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Oh...it works for a marathon.  And the tart cherry juice works for recovery.

Just knocked a another 45 seconds off my 5k time this morning after the fourth night of less than 6 hours sleep.  I feel like I didn't even run a marathon or half this weekend.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Watch question:

Thoughts?

I use a HR strap with my Forerunner 920xt.  I got my wife the 935xt (optical HR) and I like mine much much more.

2 minutes ago, JAA said:

I use a HR strap with my Forerunner 920xt.  I got my wife the 935xt (optical HR) and I like mine much much more.

A buddy of mine uses a Scosche armband and loves it

Currently at 10 days in a row and getting into a groove.  Everything feels pretty good and I'm enjoying being back on a plan.  Legs feel fresh and I wish the easy days were longer than 3 miles but I'm going to stick with and trust the plan.  I know it's still early and fatigue will start to set in but 3 miles feels like just a warmup to me now (cue laughter). 

Oh, and I still hate hill training but I know it's good for me. 

Temps have been glorious.  Upper 40's to mid 50's and some sun.  Should stay this way for at least a week with a little rain mixed in.  Please, please stick around.....

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Currently at 10 days in a row and getting into a groove.  Everything feels pretty good and I'm enjoying being back on a plan.  Legs feel fresh and I wish the easy days were longer than 3 miles but I'm going to stick with and trust the plan.  I know it's still early and fatigue will start to set in but 3 miles feels like just a warmup to me now (cue laughter). 

Oh, and I still hate hill training but I know it's good for me. 

Temps have been glorious.  Upper 40's to mid 50's and some sun.  Should stay this way for at least a week with a little rain mixed in.  Please, please stick around.....

Which plan are you doing?  I forgot.

6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Which plan are you doing?  I forgot.

Higdon's Advanced Base training plan (12 weeks)

ETA -- As inconsistent as my running/training has been for the last 4-5 months, I figured I'd be best going back to this, resetting, and doing exactly what's intended:  build a good base.  It'll have me in good shape for the relay and then I can start a HM plan to race in October.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 3

I'm just happy to read something that isn't about beet juice

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Higdon's Advanced Base training plan (12 weeks)

ETA -- As inconsistent as my running/training has been for the last 4-5 months, I figured I'd be best going back to this, resetting, and doing exactly what's intended:  build a good base.  It'll have me in good shape for the relay and then I can start a HM plan to race in October.

I need to do something like that.  I’ve been fairly consistent lately but having no plan messes with me.

i have a fenix 3, works well for the most part.  I get the best, most consistent results when I wear it a little too tight and uncomfortably high on my wrist.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Oh...it works for a marathon.  And the tart cherry juice works for recovery.

Just knocked a another 45 seconds off my 5k time this morning after the fourth night of less than 6 hours sleep.  I feel like I didn't even run a marathon or half this weekend.

Time to sign up for a 100. 

• Like 1

Asheville Half and Full Marathon Results

Placement by sections for the Half

0 - 10k: 582nd

10k-11.5 mi: 560th

Overall 545th

Splits Half

1 - 10:35

2 - 11:31, all up

3 - 9:59

4 - 10:53

5 - 11:15, all up

6 - 10:43

7 - 9:37

8 - 10:16

9 - 10:49

10 - 10:50

11 - 10:59

12 - 10:42

13 - 10:06

13.1 - 8:03 pace

2:20:24 total

Full Marathon Placement by sections

0-10k: 318th

10k-10 mi: 288th

10mi-23 mi: 235th

23-26.2: 177th

Overall 242

Splits Full and Sat Half for comparison, net difference

1 - 10:44, 10:35, 9 sec slower

2 - 11: 32, 11:31, all up, 10 sec slower

3 - 10:17 (shoe came untied), 9:59, 28 sec

4 - 10:40, 10:53, 15 sec

Lost sight of the 4:45 pacer

5 - 11:10, 11:15, all up, 10 sec

6 - 10:36, 10:43, 3 sec

7 - 9:30, 9:37, +4 faster Sunday

Passed the 4:45 pacer

8 - 10:09, 10:16, +11 faster

9 - 9:35, 10:49, +1:25 faster

10 - 10:47, 10:50, +1:28 faster

11 - 10:41, 10:59, +1:46 faster

Course changed here from Sat to Sunday and we went up hill the next two miles on Sunday

12 - 11:18

Ran with the 4:45 pacer

13 - 11:04

Got dropped by the 4:45 pacer

Halfway point - 2:22:30 at the halfway point marked on the course

14 - 10:28

15 - 9:44

Passed the 4:45 pacer

16 -10:59

17 - 11:17

Got passed and insta dropped by the 4:45 pacer

18 -10:51

19 - 10:54

20 - 11:03

Lost sight of the 4:45 pacer

21 - 11:11

22 - 10:40

23 - 11:22

24 - 11:18

25 - 11:06

Caught sight of the 4:45 pacer

26 - 10:46

26-26.4 - 9:14 pace

Ran down the 4:45 pacer

4:44:31 finish time 

2:22:01 for the second half, about a 30 second negative split.

• Like 11

@gianmarco  I had trouble with my wrist HR monitor on my Garmin this morning.  I forgot to tighten the watch before heading out which often leads to problems.  It was reading some funky high numbers so I tightened it.  No change.  Then I did my next trick and took the watch off for about a quarter of a mile and ran with it in my hand.  It still was reading high even though it obviously wasn't measuring anything.  I walked for a bit to put the watch back on and shortly afterwards it started reading right.

I mention this because if you look at my Strava graph, you can see where I walked to put it back on shortly before the 3 mile point.  Why I mention this is because if you look at my heart rate on the graph, my 1 to 2 mile line looks exactly like yours did when your watch HR was malfunctioning.  If you have the problem happen again, perhaps try what I did?

3 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

Do one google search ok several on beet juice studies and BAM ads everywhere...  

Did I mention it helps with erectile dysfunction? Make sure you search for that too....

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Did I mention it helps with erectile dysfunction? Make sure you search for that too....

Hard. Pass.

Told a client this week that I wasn't gonna google a vaginal prep tray...she was going to have to give me a competitors number.  we chuckled at that.