What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

It isnt apples to apples but I just cross referenced chief's failure in Chicago vs his success in Indy and his Chicago race sorta followed this approach. It ended badly. 

He kept the hr down a few notches over the first half of this race and shaved 25 minutes. 
The only flaw to this is that my prep for this race was miles ahead of what I did for Chicago. I don’t even consider those comparable experiences at this point. 

Chicago was a joke. Carmel was me doing it properly.

The only flaw to this is that my prep for this race was miles ahead of what I did for Chicago. I don’t even consider those comparable experiences at this point. 

Chicago was a joke. Carmel was me doing it properly.
I hesitated to post the sample because I thought you trained better this time. You were able to hold 170 once you got there this time whereas you never even got to it for any real period of time then. But you were into the high 160's quickly whereas you werent consistently there this time until the second half of the race. 

I just dont think mortals can hold that relative hr like bnb described. Working too hard for too long will likely lead to a blow up.

February

136 miles ran

7:35 net pace, in these conditions this is extremely encouraging

25 hours of exercise (17.25 hours running, 7.75 hours lifting)

Weight 191 lbs, Body Fat 14.4% - wanted to get below 190 and that didn't happen, but I've trimmed up over 2% of body fat since January 3rd.  

March plan

I was going to begin the shift to more running and less lifting today, but looking at our temperatures next week I'm going to delay the shift.  Windy and somewhere between 8 and 19 degrees Monday-Wednesday.  I'll layer up and foot shuffle a couple of those days, but I'll get more out of a lift.

I've been just under 5 miles per day so far this year.  I'd like to get on the other side of that number for March, drop to 185 lbs, and get the body fat into the 13's.
I have done a piss poor job with weight so far in 2019.

But...I have made tremendous progress with body fat.  I set out to make some progress in both areas, but instead have made great progress in one and none in the other.  The ingredients aren't gonna change the next 11 days, but I'm thinking about strategies to fix that beginning April 15.

March

186 miles ran w/a near identical net pace (7:34), initially I was taken aback but upon further review I only made it to the trails once in March so maintaining the pace kinda makes sense despite increasing miles/day by more than one - elevation has been between 32 and 33' per mile each month so far too.

Increased total exercise time to 30 hours (23.5 hours running, 6.5 hours lifting), weight's the same but body fat is now down to 13.6!

April plan

Maintain mileage, adjust lifting routine (result - more of it), and start making actual progress w/weight in the second half of the month

I've been doing total body lifts 2-3x per week.  I'm currently adjusting to 4x per week, 2 upper and 2 lower.  If the schedule forces a week of just 3x then I'll do 1 upper, 1 lower, and 1 total.

I expect my net pace to go the other way this month because of iso leg days, so my primary running focus will be weekend SoS workouts.  If I am able to do a SoS workout during the week I will, but lifting is the priority so I'm not going to force the issue.

I'm being realistic about the weight because a couple of busy weekends lie ahead.  Goal is to be in the same place 11 days from now - between now and then examine where I need to make changes to trim those pesky 10 pounds.

But...I have made tremendous progress with body fat.  I set out to make some progress in both areas, but instead have made great progress in one and none in the other.  The ingredients aren't gonna change the next 11 days, but I'm thinking about strategies to fix that beginning April 15.

March

186 miles ran w/a near identical net pace (7:34), initially I was taken aback but upon further review I only made it to the trails once in March so maintaining the pace kinda makes sense despite increasing miles/day by more than one - elevation has been between 32 and 33' per mile each month so far too.

Increased total exercise time to 30 hours (23.5 hours running, 6.5 hours lifting), weight's the same but body fat is now down to 13.6!

April plan

Maintain mileage, adjust lifting routine (result - more of it), and start making actual progress w/weight in the second half of the month

I've been doing total body lifts 2-3x per week.  I'm currently adjusting to 4x per week, 2 upper and 2 lower.  If the schedule forces a week of just 3x then I'll do 1 upper, 1 lower, and 1 total.

I expect my net pace to go the other way this month because of iso leg days, so my primary running focus will be weekend SoS workouts.  If I am able to do a SoS workout during the week I will, but lifting is the priority so I'm not going to force the issue.

I'm being realistic about the weight because a couple of busy weekends lie ahead.  Goal is to be in the same place 11 days from now - between now and then examine where I need to make changes to trim those pesky 10 pounds.
Sounds like you are pretty fit already.  Impressive bf%.  Keep up the good work.

March

April plan

I didn't see a single mention about cadence.

Do not approve.

9. All runners have different minds and bodies.  The most important thing is for the runner to be mentally and physically comfortable with a plan.
Loved the discussion from this last night. Fell asleep and woke up this morning thinking about it. I'm still a relative newb and all and haven't run a full marathon but here's my two cents worth anyway...

I think it all starts with knowing who you are and what you are capable of doing. Thus, #9 is the key, IMO. I spent much of the winter on the treadmill and used those runs to test where my HR went at different paces and then put that info to the test out on the road. Too many of my runs are me "pushing it" to see what I can do, but starting from no where, I didn't really know what I could do. 

So, knowing who you are, and what you can do is key. If you know that, then I would think that most of my best runs are going to be pretty close to "even split" runs. Other people could be different but if I know that I :can: run at a given pace for the full distance and I go out and run that pace there just becomes a couple of factors - 1) monitoring my data - namely pace, HR, breathing - if those are all in line with the goal, then it just comes down to 2), mental fortitude. 

I also think others made some great points that there is a huge difference between someone trying to win a race and someone trying to PR a time. Winning a race isn't just about you. It's also about the competition. PRs and maximizing your own performance is totally a solo endeavor.

But that also comes in 2 flavors, IMO - 1) hitting a PR/goal time; 2) running the best possible time you have in you. Those aren't quite the same thing. As someone noted, you rarely are going to do 2. There's a fine line between basically falling over spent as you cross the line and not even finishing at all. When going for 1), you can do it in a number of fashions - go out balls to the wall and try to hold on; go out at a given steady, maintainable pace and just keep going; go out slow and then sprint some distance to the finish. There's other options but most should fall somewhere into that continuum. 

Personally I like the "steady pace" route. Then as you monitor your day and performance, you can make minor tweaks along the way pretty easily based on the data. Based on what I remember from long ago and from recent info, all of my "best runs" from a time perspective fall somewhere between a "slight negative split" to a "slight positive split". I have to think that is "best" from a maximizing potential standpoint. Saturday I set my pace about as good as I could hope, IMO. I am sure I had "more in me" to have beat 1:44:08 - I didn't fall over dead at the end. There were some "gut check moments" that I met "well enough" but I definitely didn't mentally dominate the race the entire way. I "could have" been faster - I'm not sure how much faster but definitely at least 8 seconds, IMO. 

But, I still am trying to find my limits. I feel like I had a solid understanding of who I am and what I can do. I set that pace - with slight adjustments based on course elevation and such - and just executed it. 

I never (and that should be NEVER) listened to my coach in high school. He used to complain plenty about me always, always, always having too big a "kick" at the end of any distance race. He used to tell me that if I had that kind of kick left, then I obviously didn't run hard enough earlier in the race. Having that kind of kick available is probably awesome if your goal is just to "win". Probably not at all ideal if your goal is driven around personal achievement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning's run should be a solid baseline for the upcoming season.  Conditions were ideal (40 degrees; no wind; warm sun).

10 miles, 8:38/mile pace, 138 avg HR

I believe this reflects the benefits of the last three months of long, slow runs and every week being 30+ miles.  I've only started adding tempo in the past two weeks.  I'm thrilled to see that HR below 140!   

And: Found a small 5K (school fundraiser) on Saturday, April 13, out in the suburb of Lombard, 1/2 mile from my son's house.  Next week's a step-back week anyway, so I'll cap it off with a race.  Last year had just 100+ in the 5K and one slower guy in my AG, but the timing and convenience work out well.

@ChiefD

Any 5K race you considered trying over the next month to take advantage of current miles/fitness?  Might help gauge for the relay too, no?
There is a 5K on Memorial Day that I've run before that I'm thinking about doing. Thinking about something else also, but not sure yet. 

Monthly update:

Jan - 82.9 miles
Feb - 106.0 miles
Mar - 117.6 miles, rocked my goal for the Carmel HM
April plan - keep adding miles, hopefully hit a new "record" for miles in the month and get ready for May the 4th.

Speaking of May 4th... 

Today while on a nice slow run around the office neighborhood, I set my mind to the idea of trying to run the mini in 1:39:59 or better. 

:unsure:

19 seconds a mile seems daunting... we'll see how things go but I feel like I have to try.

Monthly update:

Jan - 82.9 miles
Feb - 106.0 miles
Mar - 117.6 miles, rocked my goal for the Carmel HM
April plan - keep adding miles, hopefully hit a new "record" for miles in the month and get ready for May the 4th.

Speaking of May 4th... 

Today while on a nice slow run around the office neighborhood, I set my mind to the idea of trying to run the mini in 1:39:59 or better. 

:unsure:

19 seconds a mile seems daunting... we'll see how things go but I feel like I have to try.
May the Fourth be with you.

I've been pretty excited about the race being on May the 4th. I'm sure it's hard to imagine with how suave and debonair I come off in all my posting, but I might have more than a little :nerd:  in me. 

Saw a tweet today from Des Linden:  "Some call it taper time, I prefer 'putting on the finishing touches.' Knowing the purpose of the work becomes more critical than ever.  Today's workout mantra:  Nothing to prove, lots to lose.  Believe it's all within you."

So everybody knows that I was hoping to run 2:57ish in Carmel (and I legitimately think I was in shape to do so) but ended up running 10 minutes slower.  Part of me wants to go with the "just wasn't my day" narrative, but I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't at least partially my fault.  On March 23, one week before the race, my coach's training plan called for a 12-mile progression run with 1-5 at 7:45 pace, 6-9 at 7:20-7:30, and 10-12 at 7:00-7:10 for overall average pace somewhere around 7:28. 

You'll recall that my last 20-miler a couple weeks prior didn't end well, and so it was mentally important for me that I do well on this run.  So instead of following the plan and intentionally holding back, I kinda just went with the flow, which in my rested state meant running a lot faster than Coach prescribed; I ended up averaging 7:06 overall with the last 5 miles at 6:42 average/mile (a couple seconds faster than GMP).  I never felt like I was pushing or anything until maybe the last 10 minutes or so, but I still can't help but wonder if maybe I wasn't fully recovered from that run when I toed the line at Carmel.  Is 22 seconds/mile for 10 miles a full 7 days before the marathon really that big of a deal for a guy who tends to recover quickly?  I guess I'll never know...

By comparison, I did look at my last "long" run a week before I ran 2:59:25 at Indy last fall.  11 miles at 7:23/mile, last two at 6:54 and 6:50...

Your HR averaged 152 in Indy.  You averaged 156 in Carmel and got up to 160 pretty early. 

Carmel looks a lot hillier and the wind and rain had an effect obviously.  I assume Indy was cool/cold.  Was the wind mild?

I followed your training pretty closely on Strava and always felt things were going well. If I were to guess, I’d say it was a combination of the course/conditions and the inexplicable bad day.

I’d be surprised if that last progression run made  much of a difference if any. Although maybe you should follow what you did that last week before Indy the next time before an A marathon just in case.

You should send an email to the Klimat guy and ask why you live in a perpetual fog:

support@klimat.app
I keep meaning to then not remembering until I'm getting ready to run then forgetting again until Gian makes the suggestion but I'm too tired to do it now and tell myself I'll do it tomorrow morning only to forget again until I'm getting ready to run.

Vicious cycle I tell ya

Saw a tweet today from Des Linden:  "Some call it taper time, I prefer 'putting on the finishing touches.' Knowing the purpose of the work becomes more critical than ever.  Today's workout mantra:  Nothing to prove, lots to lose.  Believe it's all within you."

So everybody knows that I was hoping to run 2:57ish in Carmel (and I legitimately think I was in shape to do so) but ended up running 10 minutes slower.  Part of me wants to go with the "just wasn't my day" narrative, but I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't at least partially my fault.  On March 23, one week before the race, my coach's training plan called for a 12-mile progression run with 1-5 at 7:45 pace, 6-9 at 7:20-7:30, and 10-12 at 7:00-7:10 for overall average pace somewhere around 7:28. 

You'll recall that my last 20-miler a couple weeks prior didn't end well, and so it was mentally important for me that I do well on this run.  So instead of following the plan and intentionally holding back, I kinda just went with the flow, which in my rested state meant running a lot faster than Coach prescribed; I ended up averaging 7:06 overall with the last 5 miles at 6:42 average/mile (a couple seconds faster than GMP).  I never felt like I was pushing or anything until maybe the last 10 minutes or so, but I still can't help but wonder if maybe I wasn't fully recovered from that run when I toed the line at Carmel.  Is 22 seconds/mile for 10 miles a full 7 days before the marathon really that big of a deal for a guy who tends to recover quickly?  I guess I'll never know...

By comparison, I did look at my last "long" run a week before I ran 2:59:25 at Indy last fall.  11 miles at 7:23/mile, last two at 6:54 and 6:50...
To bring it back to a question I asked you last month - bigger people like you and I are impacted more by the elements. I wouldnt be surprised if it isnt any more complicated than that. 

Your HR averaged 152 in Indy.  You averaged 156 in Carmel and got up to 160 pretty early. 

Carmel looks a lot hillier and the wind and rain had an effect obviously.  I assume Indy was cool/cold.  Was the wind mild?

I followed your training pretty closely on Strava and always felt things were going well. If I were to guess, I’d say it was a combination of the course/conditions and the inexplicable bad day.

I’d be surprised if that last progression run made  much of a difference if any. Although maybe you should follow what you did that last week before Indy the next time before an A marathon just in case.
Thanks for the reply.  Indy last year was perfect.  30-something degrees and no wind that was memorable at all.

Carmichael always said it takes ten days to get the benefit of any training run (fitness wise).  I've never followed that, but it would indicated that anything faster the GMP is a waste of time inside of ten days.  If you used training peak software (I don't), you could see whether your performance improves with fitness or freshness, then adapt your plan accordingly.  

Personally I think you're going to crush Boston.

I agree with most everyone else. I truly just think it wasn’t your day. I remember you saying you knew pretty early on that 2:57 wasn’t going to happen. Also, you were definitely capable of sub 2:57, in my opinion. I am firm believer in some days you have it and some you don’t.

One of my major struggles during training and races was trying to find consistency. Some mornings, running would feel effortless and my HR would stay extremely low. Other mornings, it would be a struggle and my HR would be high. I could never pinpoint what the factors were that led to this other than random chance. I would try to mimic my diet, sleep, hydration, and other factors in hopes to find that sweet spot. Based off your work ethic and dedication, I know you’re pretty pissed off about your performance. However, chalk it up as a bad day, don’t beat yourself up, and use it to fuel your next race. My failed marathon is the one I’ll never forget and learned the most from. Hang in there and run that 2:57 in Boston.

Did any of you Carmel guys see the email from the RD today? Apparently 25% of people registered for Carmel decided not to run.  :shock:

Put in a solid March since I started my base plan on March 11th.

--2nd highest monthly total I've ever had at 123 miles (previous best was last April at 125)

--Currently at 26 days in a row (and have hit all my scheduled runs so far, including running in the rain today!!)

--Previous 5 week totals of 22, 28, 31, 33, and now 18 which should end close to 34

--Easy HRs back down to the upper 130's, low 140's.

Legs just felt tired for the first time during my run today.  Not terrible, but just noticeable compared to no fatigue up until this point.  Still not the big miles you guys put in, but this is decent volume for me.  Less than 2 months away from our relay.  Trying to get in good shape for it.

Final hard run today for Boston. 

The plan called for 10 miles at 6:52-6:55 pace, however, last time I did this plan, I felt that hard of a run 10 days before the race was just a bit too much.  So I did 6 miles at that pace and it was definitely doable.  I could have gone longer and/or faster if needed.   I feel good and now its just time to weather stalk, take a bunch of easy runs and start to do my serious race prep.

Props to everyone who raced last weekend.  So fun to watch the achievements and I can definitely empathize when the race doesn't go as planned.

I'll post more about my Boston plan in the coming days as it is becoming very real. Hoping to meet up with @gruecd at some point too. In the meantime, I'm in the middle of 18 straight days of work so I'm just trying to keep my head above water. 

Also tracking information will be shared too next week. 

So, what is a good post-marathon running plan? Right now I need to be careful on the number of days, as my wife wasn't thrilled with the 6 day a week plan. My kids have soccer practices, so I usually run at those cause I can get away with it. So right now I'm thinking:

Mon: Off

Tuesday: Run - probably 5 miles based on soccer practice

Wednesday: Run - Can get in 7- 9 easy miles or a longer tempo run in my 1.5 hour time limit

Thursday: Run - Can get in 7- 9 easy miles or a longer tempo run in my 1.5 hour time limit

Friday: Off

Saturday: Run - Flexible on distance

Sunday: Run - Flexible on distance

I'm thinking something like a tempo run on either Wednesday or Thursday, and pretty much easy runs the other days with the mileage varying on time. Thoughts? Will probably add some speed work on one of the easy days in May to get ready for the relay.

@ChiefD

Probably depends on what your goal is.  Are you aiming for a certain mileage per week?  And if you want to add speed work, may want to start now instead of only 1 month before, no?

I will say that the schedule I'm following is pretty non-disruptive.  I run 7 days/week but 4 of the days are 30 minutes in length.  2 of the other days are 45 minutes.  And just 1 long run per week.  It's got speed work.  And it's about 30 mpw.  IIRC, I think you prefer doing longer runs so it may not be for you, but just something to consider.

So, what is a good post-marathon running plan? Right now I need to be careful on the number of days, as my wife wasn't thrilled with the 6 day a week plan. My kids have soccer practices, so I usually run at those cause I can get away with it. So right now I'm thinking:

Wednesday: Run - Can get in 7- 9 easy miles or a longer tempo run in my 1.5 hour time limit

Thursday: Run - Can get in 7- 9 easy miles or a longer tempo run in my 1.5 hour time limit

I'm thinking something like a tempo run on either Wednesday or Thursday, and pretty much easy runs the other days with the mileage varying on time. Thoughts? Will probably add some speed work on one of the easy days in May to get ready for the relay.
Be careful here.  You just ran a marathon and you are a relatively newer marathon runner.  I would recommend you run nothing but easy runs for at least 2-3 weeks.  You may feel recovered but there is underlying muscle/tissue damage that needs to fully heal. 

If you want to get faster, lots of slow easy miles will do that.  I recognize time is an issue, but if you can get a kid to ride a bike with you, then you are taking a kid and getting your run in! 

Nothing of substance for 3-4 weeks. Start off with Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday then see how you feel and decide whether to add Wednesday or not. Re-assess weekly until you get to the end of week 3 or 4. Then decide if you want to add any SoS.

First quarter stats

Run - 48/44:40/339. 

Bike - 42/47:52/311 (this is nowhere near accurate for mileage as most of my rides have been on the trainer which account for zero miles, I'd probably hit 1,000 miles next week if I kept better track of the trainer miles)

Swim - 28/16:58/56,200y

Some, but nowhere near enough weight/strength sessions. 

Feeling okay overall, definitely bed to get back into weights at some point.

I took note of that as well.  Pure MAF has me at a HR under 120!  But the Friel trial would be more like 145, I believe.  My slow, easy-breathing pace puts my HR in the 140s, and I'm OK with that.  I just don't have an interest in running slow enough to put the HR in the 120s ...I feel that doing so makes my stride so abnormal that I'm doing more harm than good.  

@Brony - which race is your company sponsoring?  I believe the Cosley Zoo Run in Wheaton is on June 1st.  I'm hoping to catch a race somewhere around mid-May to early June.
sorry - didn't catch this til now.  My calendar had June 1 circled to be present at St. Louis relay for S's and giggles.  I likely won't be in shape to run any event whether St. Louis, Wheaton or Chicago (not that I was even on the list for relay).   To answer your question though, my company is committed to prostate cancer events throughout the U.S.  If my left knee cooperates, I'll be out at a few of these.  

sorry - didn't catch this til now.  My calendar had June 1 circled to be present at St. Louis relay for S's and giggles.  I likely won't be in shape to run any event whether St. Louis, Wheaton or Chicago (not that I was even on the list for relay).   To answer your question though, my company is committed to prostate cancer events throughout the U.S.  If my left knee cooperates, I'll be out at a few of these.  
Whoa, so are you coming down for it? 

BTW, on the relay front. I know @ChiefD mentioned that he and @Juxtatarot are trying to talk his wife into driving.

I mentioned it to mine and it turns out she was indeed planning on coming along. So the 2 of them may be our driving pair for the relay. She just needed to make sure she wasn't on call (which she's not).  Then again, she's not the greatest of drivers, especially with a 15 passenger van, so make sure you all have life insurance before heading over here.

Oh, and one last post about the relay.

After a few weeks, I figured I might as well start coming up with some goals. Last year, I PR'd my 5K time during the first leg and then again shortly afterward with a 7:22 pace.

My 3 legs are all ~4 miles each and I'd like to get all 3 done at 7:30 pace for an A goal. If I don't quite get there, my B goal is to make sure every mile pace of the race has a 7 in front of it.

I don't know exactly where I am now, but I would like to think if I stick with what I'm doing now, I should get there since i did the same last year (only 8 weeks, actually) and was in that kind of shape.  I'll reassess in a few more weeks to see where I'm at realistically.

As a training question, this base plan has quite a few races scheduled with the first being a 5K at the end of next week. It's a scheduled step-back week as well. As I'm not running a race next week, should I just run a hard 5K on my own or just do what would otherwise be a long run on that Sunday?  I MIGHT do a 10K on May 4th as of right now, but nothing else planned.

gianmarco said:
As a training question, this base plan has quite a few races scheduled with the first being a 5K at the end of next week. It's a scheduled step-back week as well. As I'm not running a race next week, should I just run a hard 5K on my own or just do what would otherwise be a long run on that Sunday?  I MIGHT do a 10K on May 4th as of right now, but nothing else planned.
A hard 5k effort would be a great idea to know where you’re at. Also maybe start fitting faster 3-4 miles in the middle of longs runs. 

I was thinking about the relay race this morning and @JShare87's health. We may want to think about him not having to run a trail leg if at all possible. He has no hills in Florida to train on, and with his back pain I think flat surfaces would be best. Thoughts?

I was thinking about the relay race this morning and @JShare87's health. We may want to think about him not having to run a trail leg if at all possible. He has no hills in Florida to train on, and with his back pain I think flat surfaces would be best. Thoughts?
He's not on a trail leg. You have it. He and I are the 2 without.

Users who are viewing this thread