What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Improvement over Boston 18 though.
I'll take Boston '18 ALL DAY LONG over 2012.  Temp reached 89° during the race.  I walked basically the last 6-7 miles for my slowest marathon finish ever.  God, that was awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it OK to call out good weather here or are we only allowed to complain about it?

There was a good chance for rain this morning but I got up and things looked otherwise.  Average temp recorded during my run was 3C (37F), almost no wind to speak of.  Humidity a little high at ~70%.  

I actually overdressed.  Wool base layer and long-sleeve running shirt.  Speed tights + shorts.  Didn't realize until I got home that I was soaked in sweat.  

But still, a very pleasant "morning".  If that's what you call it at 0330.  :crazy:

Trying to think positive thoughts for you BostonGuys.  It seems like a hard enough course already, without the weather trying to bring you down as well.  

My favorite half marathon is this Saturday. Supposed to be 37 with barely any breeze at the gun. I'd be stupid to run this, right? Been itching to sign up but have resisted thus far. And I probably shouldn't.....but......

:lol:

The difference a few hours makes

A noon headwind becomes a late afternoon tail wind.  It'll change between now and the weekend, but this tells me scattered - not a down pour.  And forecasters usually err on the side of the worst case in the range of potential outcomes this far out.  i.e. this time 16 days ago y'all were talking about outright bailing on Carmel.

My favorite half marathon is this Saturday. Supposed to be 37 with barely any breeze at the gun. I'd be stupid to run this, right? Been itching to sign up but have resisted thus far. And I probably shouldn't.....but......

Juice vs. squeeze, but if things go well this month and the weather's cooperating early May then by all means.  I haven't experienced it, but I've seen enough cases of the post marathon fitness boost to understand it's probably real.

I think you should be able to sense on recent runs whether your body is up to it or not. Maybe even try a mile or two an half marathon pace if you're not sure. My body isn't.  Or maybe just my mind isn't.  Either way...

I'm no expert but I do believe from my Houston experience that I tapered too much before the race, and rested too much after.  So my plan for the future and current bias is to get back at it faster next time.  Which impacts my thoughts that you should go for it.

Would it make sense to sign up for the race, go out at the pace you're hoping for and if things feel wrong, just slow down and call it a training run?

I'm no expert but I do believe from my Houston experience that I tapered too much before the race, and rested too much after.  So my plan for the future and current bias is to get back at it faster next time.  Which impacts my thoughts that you should go for it.

Would it make sense to sign up for the race, go out at the pace you're hoping for and if things feel wrong, just slow down and call it a training run?
It would definitely be more of a training run than a race. For now...

I think @Juxtatarot's idea is a good one - I may go out tomorrow and run a couple of miles at HM pace and see how it feels. 

If it doesn't feel right then it's probably best to tap out.  Injury risk is higher post race, so if your body isn't happy about something you gotta listen to it.

Is it OK to call out good weather here or are we only allowed to complain about it?
Big fan of good weather shout outs !!!  I’ve been catching some sweet weather and adjusting my water intake/carry up since I got really used to no water needs in the cooler temps. 

ShoeGuys,

Been having ankle pain (a first for me!) near the end of, and after, my long runs.  Today included.

No idea why, so I'm just speculating that it could be shoes.  A couple of months ago I switched from the Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 to the Brooks Ghost 11 with the hopes of getting more cushioning.  And the Ghosts do feel nicer/softer, even with 450km (280mi) on them.  

But the Mizunos are described as having more support that then Ghosts, and perhaps my ankle pain is because of that.  I have wicked over-pronation and I moved my corrective insoles when I switched shoes.

At the rate I'm putting miles on the Brooks shoes, I'm going to need a new pair for my marathon in May regardless.  While I had knee pain pre-Houston (which itself could have been the shoes too, who knows) I'm inclined to go back to the Mizunos.

So I guess my question is, does a lack of support in a shoe sometimes manifest itself in ankle pain, and if so, is there a good option out there to get more support like the Mizuno but with the cushioning of the Ghost?

ShoeGuys,

Been having ankle pain (a first for me!) near the end of, and after, my long runs.  Today included.

No idea why, so I'm just speculating that it could be shoes.  A couple of months ago I switched from the Mizuno Wave Inspire 14 to the Brooks Ghost 11 with the hopes of getting more cushioning.  And the Ghosts do feel nicer/softer, even with 450km (280mi) on them.  

But the Mizunos are described as having more support that then Ghosts, and perhaps my ankle pain is because of that.  I have wicked over-pronation and I moved my corrective insoles when I switched shoes.

At the rate I'm putting miles on the Brooks shoes, I'm going to need a new pair for my marathon in May regardless.  While I had knee pain pre-Houston (which itself could have been the shoes too, who knows) I'm inclined to go back to the Mizunos.

So I guess my question is, does a lack of support in a shoe sometimes manifest itself in ankle pain, and if so, is there a good option out there to get more support like the Mizuno but with the cushioning of the Ghost?
I'm no expert, but it's probably the touque.

ShoeGuys,

I ran in Mizuno's for a long time, and switched to a pair of Ghosts just to try something else a few years ago. Switched back to Mizuno. No pain or anything, but the Ghosts just didn't feel right to me after wearing them for a month or so.

ShoeGuys,

I ran in Ghosts for a long time.  Now my primary training shoe is the Hoka Clifton.  

Warning.  I think they look stupid.  And putting them on and walking around the store felt weird.  But once i started running in them, i liked the support and it lasts me 500 miles.  It’s too bulky for a racing shoe but great for training.

ShoeGuys,

Both ankles?  The overpronating and insoles might have this out of the range of viable ShoeGuy advice.  I’d be back in a new pair of the Mizunos pronto though to see if that helped. If not then electro-stim treatment. But I think that helps most things. 

Edit to actually help - never tried Mizunos but both shoes you link above appear to have cushion and 12mm drop in common. Check out the brooks shoe finder to see if other Brooks are more ‘stability’ at same drop. Not sure how Adrenaline compare to Ghosts in detail but both have a lot of fans and Adrenaline appear to offer more support from a quick look. 

I ran in Ghosts for a long time.  Now my primary training shoe is the Hoka Clifton.  

Warning.  I think they look stupid.  And putting them on and walking around the store felt weird.  But once i started running in them, i liked the support and it lasts me 500 miles.  It’s too bulky for a racing shoe but great for training.
which Clifton?

Zasada said:

There was a good chance for rain this morning but I got up and things looked otherwise.  Average temp recorded during my run was 3C (37F), almost no wind to speak of. 
37 degrees is good weather?  I'd have been dressed like this.

What's the coldest you remember running in?
Well if it's not on Klimat it didn't happen.  So "37°F, Feels like 33°F," back on February 5th. And I included the word "Chilly" in my description of the run.  I remember I wanted to use "Cold", but I figured someone here would make fun of me. 

Seriously, probably somewhere in the high 20s a few times.  I've run in NYC and Boston and Chicago when it was still winterish a couple of times, and have had some cold runs while back home in Portland.  And while I wasn't exactly dressed like Ralphie's little brother (does he even have a name?), I guarantee I had multiple shirts, a shell, gloves, and a beanie. 

Seriously, probably somewhere in the high 20s a few times.  I've run in NYC and Boston and Chicago when it was still winterish a couple of times, and have had some cold runs while back home in Portland.  And while I wasn't exactly dressed like Ralphie's little brother (does he even have a name?), I guarantee I had multiple shirts, a shell, gloves, and a beanietouque
FYP

Supposed to be in the mid 20's to low 30's here this weekend.   Annnnd upwards of a foot of snow.  And I'm supposed to run a 50 at midnight on Friday.  And my long run in the past six months has been 15 miles, which coincidentally enough is about my total average miles per week over that timeframe.  And I'm idiotically attempting to go Whole 30 this month.  So I'm currently in an active snow dance, pulling hard for a foot of snow because it seems likely that they'd likely have to cancel all events due to the remote location of the races.  :scared:

(I truly hope they don't have to cancel as we had a brutal snowstorm this exact same weekend last year that caused havoc at these same races...100 milers started the race on Friday, blizzard hit throughout the day, midnight 50 mile and Sat morning 17 mile races were canceled, people couldn't get into or out of the race site, volunteers pushing 36-48 hours straight, etc.  But I know if they don't cancel that 50 miles in the snow/slush/mud/rain/cold on poor training is going to be unpleasant.)

Well, I signed up for that Duathlon on April 28th. Doing it as a relay with a friend. He was a track cyclist for Barbados for some international competitions so I have a feeling he might be fast. He doesn't ride anymore but I'm pretty sure it's just like riding a bike.

I'll have a 1.5 mile run, wait for his 12 mile bike ride, then another 1.5 mile run. It'll be interesting if he takes a lead and then I'm running with someone trying to catch me at the end of the race if we are in a position to win. 

Goal is 7:00 min/mile pace. We shall see....

Supposed to be in the mid 20's to low 30's here this weekend.   Annnnd upwards of a foot of snow.  And I'm supposed to run a 50 at midnight on Friday.  And my long run in the past six months has been 15 miles, which coincidentally enough is about my total average miles per week over that timeframe.  And I'm idiotically attempting to go Whole 30 this month.  So I'm currently in an active snow dance, pulling hard for a foot of snow because it seems likely that they'd likely have to cancel all events due to the remote location of the races.  :scared:

(I truly hope they don't have to cancel as we had a brutal snowstorm this exact same weekend last year that caused havoc at these same races...100 milers started the race on Friday, blizzard hit throughout the day, midnight 50 mile and Sat morning 17 mile races were canceled, people couldn't get into or out of the race site, volunteers pushing 36-48 hours straight, etc.  But I know if they don't cancel that 50 miles in the snow/slush/mud/rain/cold on poor training is going to be unpleasant.)
Sounds like you're doing a snowshoe race.  Or skimo, if lots of hills.

Well, I signed up for that Duathlon on April 28th. Doing it as a relay with a friend. He was a track cyclist for Barbados for some international competitions so I have a feeling he might be fast. He doesn't ride anymore but I'm pretty sure it's just like riding a bike.

I'll have a 1.5 mile run, wait for his 12 mile bike ride, then another 1.5 mile run. It'll be interesting if he takes a lead and then I'm running with someone trying to catch me at the end of the race if we are in a position to win. 

Goal is 7:00 min/mile pace. We shall see....
Ummm..........

Well, there's a saying about something you haven't done in a while, if it's easy to come back to you and pick up again, it's "just like riding a bike"

I'm hoping that riding a bike is "just like riding a bike".
I get what you're saying.  But if you show up with no riding after years it would be like running after taking years off.  Yeah you can do it, but you will be painfully slow.  If your partner is in great condition, then he could get back his biking fitness quickly.

I get what you're saying.  But if you show up with no riding after years it would be like running after taking years off.  Yeah you can do it, but you will be painfully slow.  If your partner is in great condition, then he could get back his biking fitness quickly.
He's an MMA fighter and in crazy good shape. He's gonna ride over the next couple weeks to get back into it.

He actually gave up riding when he started in martial arts. 

What happened?
My midnight 50 miler was canceled as half the state is in a shutdown due to the April winter storm that rolled through yesterday. 

That said, I’m bummed for the RD.  He’s a great dude and this is the 2nd year in a row that he’s had this race get screwed over by a random mid-April snowstorm.  And it does suck getting a foot of snow in April.  So on those fronts, it’s a  :sadbanana: , especially for the RD.

Well in that case, you better not lose that lead he gives you.

Have fun!!!
Yeah, my friend that I work out with (the guy who did lots of tris competitively), said that there's a good chance my racing partner is going to smoke the other riders.  I looked at last year's winning relay time and the runner ran at a 6:08 pace.  The bike was at 20.3 mph.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if he got up to 24 mph.  He's actually lending him his custom bike for the race.  In addition to track cycling, the guy I'm racing with used to do time trials so he said this shouldn't be a big deal for him (it's a flat 6 miles out and 6 miles back).  Of course, he's an otherwise super nice, quiet, modest guy so he hasn't mentioned what he's capable of and I haven't asked how well he thinks he can do.  So it's going to be a lot of fun  :)

So, I just had my followup with the ortho so I figured I'd give an update here.  Basically my leg/hamstring is not really any better or worse than when I first visited them and started doing PT.  It is better than when this first started back in October but I now haven't jogged/run or done any exercise activity where I'd need to use my legs for 6 months.  Unbelievably frustrating but the visit today may have helped shed some light on things.  During my PT sessions I would have some "pain" that was almost tingling.  Happened again today during the exam and based on that and his questioning he thinks I have some kind of nerve issue going on.  The current thought is that the original injury was a tear and that somehow is impacting my leg nerve.  He started mashing on the back of my leg in a somewhat new spot and when he did that I had a distinct tingling sensation and eventually some numbness in my foot. 

I've had 3 somewhat severe injuries during my lifetime on my right leg.  Tore the ligaments in my right ankle, tore the hip muscle in my upper right leg and now tore my right hamstring.  I'm beginning to wonder if all these combined is causing some of this nerve "issue".  He wants to send me for an MRI to completely check everything out but when I asked if that doesn't show anything new and it's "just" the muscle/nerve then what the next step.  He didn't have a great answer for me - short of nerve surgery it seems like doing mostly what I've been doing for months - which hasn't seemed to help.

So, my frustration of the last few months is even greater now.  Sure, maybe I have a better understanding of what is going on but not really how to fix it.  I mainly wanted to type this out because of my frustration but also wanted your input. 

• should I do the MRI?  Is paying 1k going to really help anything if the remedy is going to be the same
  • I asked him if it is a nerve issue would I be able to just start activity again to see if it helps - he basically just said don't do anything that aggravates it.  But from what I can tell the only thing that doesn't aggravate it is lying in bed for days - I know that because I developed walking pneumonia weeks ago and spent almost a full work week in bed.  By the end of that illness my leg felt the best it had since October.  This tells me I should stay off it but without going on bed rest I don't see how I can do this
  • anybody have anything similar to this and any additional advice/suggestions?

Yeah, my friend that I work out with (the guy who did lots of tris competitively), said that there's a good chance my racing partner is going to smoke the other riders.  I looked at last year's winning relay time and the runner ran at a 6:08 pace.  The bike was at 20.3 mph.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if he got up to 24 mph.  He's actually lending him his custom bike for the race.  In addition to track cycling, the guy I'm racing with used to do time trials so he said this shouldn't be a big deal for him (it's a flat 6 miles out and 6 miles back).  Of course, he's an otherwise super nice, quiet, modest guy so he hasn't mentioned what he's capable of and I haven't asked how well he thinks he can do.  So it's going to be a lot of fun  :)
A couple thoughts.  You will feel all kinds of pressure with this because you know he will kick some serious butt. 

Run hard the first segment.  While he's riding, do NOT just sit down as your legs will get tight.  You want to stay active.  Walk and light jogging so when he comes back, your legs can blast through the last 1.5 miles. 

Get it done!

A couple thoughts.  You will feel all kinds of pressure with this because you know he will kick some serious butt. 

Run hard the first segment.  While he's riding, do NOT just sit down as your legs will get tight.  You want to stay active.  Walk and light jogging so when he comes back, your legs can blast through the last 1.5 miles. 

Get it done!

Awesome, thanks.

My schedule has me racing a 5K on Sunday.  I'm not signed up for one and had asked here recently what I should do in its place.  Now, to prepare for this, I'm going to go for about 3-4 mile run and run an all out mile toward the end to see what I can handle for a mile and go from there.  When I was in peak fitness last year, that was around 6:40 (actually what I ran during the 1st mile of my 5K in July).  It's possible I'm close to being there now so I'll see on Sunday to get a good feel. 

If the above does happen, it'll be the first time I would be racing with that kind of pressure.  :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread