What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Looking forward to seeing full results online later but I do know I won my age group. Guessing I was about 15 to 20 overall. I think the time they announced when they gave me the gift certificate was 21:20.

That really felt good. Was definitley an effort but not all I had. Now I want another one to see if I can get under 21... That said, courses don't get much flatter or easier than that one so... 
Way to go, buddy! Congrats!

...until I got into an accident on the way home when some dumb ##### pulled out in front of me at an intersection and I hit her at 50 mph. I'm totally fine. My car not so much...  :rant:
Damn. Glad you are ok.

And for the record, you will obviously have race soreness and now wreck soreness. Get yourself checked out tomorrow if you start feeling more off than normal.

Official results: 21:19.2, 16/297 overall, 1/11 in my AG

bummer part... Missed being the masters champion by 5.8 seconds! 56 year old dude beat me by that little...

awesome part... Started near the front of the pack and got off to a nice start. Looked down and found myself running about a 6:30 pace or so, then settled into the proper pace.  I would guess that once the start got settled, I was about 30th +/-. Had no music with me intentionally. Focused completely on breathing, pace and cadence. Worked on ignoring those around me and just following the plan. 

Per strava, my mile splits were 6:56, 7:07, 6:54. I slowly picked off people one at a time. After the first half mile, I never got passed by anyone. Well, technically one. One of the fun parts was passing a guy with about a half mile to go, +/-. With about a 1/4 mile to go he pulled back around me. I tucked just behind him as we went around the corner and then decided I wasn't letting him beat me. We actually raced toward the finish with me beating him by 2.6 seconds. Strava says my last .1 (Garmin/strava recorded it as .07) was a 5:45 per mile pace for that little bit. 

I know I can get under 21. Actually wondering if I can get under 20 minutes... That would be pretty cool. 

Simulated marathon again today.  Fueling went well.  Took an Immodium pre-run and didn't have to poop during the run for the first time in weeks. 

Legs were more or less shot after 27K.  Really hoping that's a function of cumulative fatigue and not my 30K wall that seems to hit me all the time.  Otherwise this race in two weeks is really going to suck.

First tshirt & shorts day of the year.  Can I complain about the heat now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Already thinking about (and leaning towards) racing a trail 30K on the 25th. If I can avg 8:45 pace it's likely I'd win, assuming no ringers show up. Averaged 8:35 yesterday for 50K on a tougher course. It's on my calendar, and as long as the weather is good, I'm in.

ETA: Last year some dude from Nevada (WTF?) showed up and ran 2:34:16 (8:25/mile). It's a small, low-key race, so that's bizarre. Second was 3:03:56 (10+ pace).

Tomorrow is my check-in with my ortho and hopefully he's in agreement that I need another steroid shot in the right calf.  I've had them in July and December of last year and he wants less than 3 per year, so I think we should be good. Does wonders. My right calf is pretty GD sore at the moment at 5 months past shot.

I can't complain though - last few weeks have been really good. I feel like my self diagnosis of mild LCL strain on my left knee was on point.  I rested, iced, and stretched that for 4-6 weeks as the internet suggested.  I'm now in a good spot on the left leg. Considering I was in a dark "why the hell do I even do this?" in March - I'm very content.   

Crossing my fingers for 2 healthy legs in the near future.  

Also crossing my non-thumb fingers to get my thumb problem addressed.  It's been hurting since New Years. 

Already thinking about (and leaning towards) racing a trail 30K on the 25th. If I can avg 8:45 pace it's likely I'd win, assuming no ringers show up. Averaged 8:35 yesterday for 50K on a tougher course. It's on my calendar, and as long as the weather is good, I'm in.

ETA: Last year some dude from Nevada (WTF?) showed up and ran 2:34:16 (8:25/mile). It's a small, low-key race, so that's bizarre. Second was 3:03:56 (10+ pace).
I'm sensing we might have a trail junkie in the making, here.  👍

As I look at the official results from my 5k, there's 2 things that stand out... one was getting beat by the 56 year old by 6 seconds... the other is getting beat by an 11 year old by 19 seconds... An 11 YO ran it in 21:00.4. That's pretty impressive, IMO. Cool part is that the 11 YO's first name is Jett. Obviously he was born to be fast. 

The Iguana said:
As I look at the official results from my 5k, there's 2 things that stand out... one was getting beat by the 56 year old by 6 seconds... the other is getting beat by an 11 year old by 19 seconds... An 11 YO ran it in 21:00.4. That's pretty impressive, IMO. Cool part is that the 11 YO's first name is Jett. Obviously he was born to be fast. 
Now to be really blown away, that 11 year old probably gets lost in the shuffle among his top peers. This track season has made me realize there are some fast mother ####ers out there.  We have a strong 9 year old (6:09 mile, 2:58 half yesterday) and 10 (6:06 mile, 2:54 half) and neither one of them is going to win next week - should place though.  And we are probably going to have another 10 year old run the 400-800 back-to-back (with literally almost no rest) because his 6:14 mile isn't going to place - and for whatever reason other team's aren't putting their best runners in the 400.  We also have a 12 year old girl that's run a 5:25 mile and 2:29 half.  Unlike the younger boys, she is going to win next week though.  And they all put down those half mile times about 20 mins after those mile's.

Now to be really blown away, that 11 year old probably gets lost in the shuffle among his top peers. This track season has made me realize there are some fast mother ####ers out there.  We have a strong 9 year old (6:09 mile, 2:58 half yesterday) and 10 (6:06 mile, 2:54 half) and neither one of them is going to win next week - should place though.  And we are probably going to have another 10 year old run the 400-800 back-to-back (with literally almost no rest) because his 6:14 mile isn't going to place - and for whatever reason other team's aren't putting their best runners in the 400.  We also have a 12 year old girl that's run a 5:25 mile and 2:29 half.  Unlike the younger boys, she is going to win next week though.  And they all put down those half mile times about 20 mins after those mile's.
Yep, I was talking with daughter's friend who does track in 7th grade.  She said she recently did a 5:47 mile.  My knee jerk reaction was to ask if she meant 6:47 mile, but fortunately bit my tongue and then congratulated her. (and then went and wept because I don't know if I could run a 5:47 today).

Yep, I was talking with daughter's friend who does track in 7th grade.  She said she recently did a 5:47 mile.  My knee jerk reaction was to ask if she meant 6:47 mile, but fortunately bit my tongue and then congratulated her. (and then went and wept because I don't know if I could run a 5:47 today).
Just saw the same thing at my son's track meet.  And the girl made it look easy.  I just sat there and shook my head.

Coach isn't going to update us on times until tonight, but I'm curious what our K-2's put down Saturday morning.  First nice morning for running all season - 50's, sun, and no wind of consequence.  Best performances by quite a bit, but - how much.  We think my son's K 4x100 relay team can win at the leeg finals next week and think it's possible they break a minute 20.

Ugh.  This accident stuff is such a PITA.  Other driver clearly at fault (and police report confirms that), but her insurance company has to review report and talk to her before they'll formally accept liability, so now I wait.  In the meantime, my hot water heater is leaking, so I've gotta get someone to come over and replace that, too.  When it rains, it pours.  So much for the basketball hoop I was planning on buying this week...  :rant:

whew... went down to the gym at work today for the first time in a while. Now that my 1/2 marathon events are over I really want to mix in some weight work and other cross-training along with continuing to run. So, went to the "crossfit fitness" class today - they are more cardio-centric workouts with weight work mixed in. Started off with a nice stretch/warm up session, which was awesome - they are always good for some focused stretching that I am prone to neglect. Then it kicked my butt!

12 minute "amrap" workout: 12 calorie assault bike ride, 10 ball slams w/ 30 lb ball, 10 push-ups. Bike ride was fine, ball slams ok, push-ups I could tell how much I've neglected strength stuff of late - whole thing combined kind of kicked my ###. Afterwards did bonus work of sit-ups and hollow-rock holds for core strength. Double bonus work was about a dozen flights of stair runs - 1 step at a time on odds, 2 at a time on evens. 

Really looking forward to more strength stuff and some different workouts in with running for awhile. Should be fun.

Eight days post Miwok and I'm still feeling tired.  I've taken a power nap pretty much every day, and based on this morning's run my legs still haven't bounced back. 

Going to try to put together some sort of rr today, I've got some free time.

The Go! team is running the full relay course today to see how it is. So far so good.

We had a ton of rain this weekend again but looks like it's finally going to clear.

You guys should still plan on bringing 2-3 pairs of shoes. The trail legs will have water regardless plus the chance of rain at any time.

Getting excited!

ChiefD said:
Remind me at the relay. 
Group neurostim?

--

Back from Cuba!  (Despite a five hour delay in Ft. Lauderdale yesterday.)  Congrats to pbm, Iguana, and gruecd on strong races!!!  Three very different races, but three great outcomes.  And don't think I haven't noticed that pbm referenced an old guy as a "gentlemen" while to Iquana, they're "dudes."   #keepingalist

I was able to squeeze in some workouts:

Tuesday: 3.2 mile run on the Malecon in Havana

Wednesday: 150 push-ups/50 squats in the a.m.; 30 minute Atlantic Ocean swim at Varadero Beach (2 1/2 hours east of Havana) in the p.m.  Throughout, fighting rather strong waves.

Thursday: 6.04 mile run on the Malecon.  Running with a younger, faster guy ("kid"), so we averaged pacing and settled in at a 7:54/mi pace.  However, with temps already approaching 90, with humidity, we were both cooked at 4 1/2 miles and took it in easy from there.

Saturday: 4.23 mile run through the small village of Los Palos and the surrounding countryside (about 75 miles SE of Havana).  Temp was probably closer to 100 than 90, so this was more of a stubborn run to get in miles and a rural run than anything else.  Not too often that a number of horse-drawn carts go by or goats bleat as I'm running down the road.

Sunday: 10 minute leisurely pool swim at the comically small village pool in Los Palos during the church's pool party to celebrate Dia de la Madre.  Six easy strokes from one corner to the other ...really not a workout; more just another swim at a new, unique location.

Still shaking off a stomach virus that developed on Saturday morning.  Looking forward to the relay in less than three weeks!

Eight days post Miwok and I'm still feeling tired.  I've taken a power nap pretty much every day, and based on this morning's run my legs still haven't bounced back. 

Going to try to put together some sort of rr today, I've got some free time.
I hope it comes back soon for you.  I'm 6 weeks post Amsted and the legs are still dead.

I hope it comes back soon for you.  I'm 6 weeks post Amsted and the legs are still dead.
Thanks man.  Today was better.  It was buoyed in part by running by YiOu Wang and Mario Fraioli with about a mile and half to go.  And by "running by" I mean they were headed the other direction, as their average pace was juuuust a bit faster than mine.  Something about seeing some of the best trail runners in the world (especially in YiOu's case) just gets you moving a bit.

24 days until San Diego 100M.  So the legs had better come back soon!

So I'm at a conference in Vegas and taking advantage of the nice weather with a couple of runs.  Out on the path today I pass a guy going the other way.  He's running solo and there's nobody else for miles.  

I make a note to check flybys on Strava and sure enough he's on there with this post.  Nothing of note except he's got at least three photos with him in them where he clearly had to set up the camera beforehand to take pictures of himself.  One is even of him running which would have required even more effort.  Do people really do this?  I get the odd hand-held selfie and all, but to set up a camera on the ground, go back and run by it, and then return to pick it up again seems a bit, ummmm, involved.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
So I'm at a conference in Vegas and taking advantage of the nice weather with a couple of runs.  Out on the path today I pass a guy going the other way.  He's running solo and there's nobody else for miles.  

I make a note to check flybys on Strava and sure enough he's on there with this post.  Nothing of note except he's got at least three photos with him in them where he clearly had to set up the camera beforehand to take pictures of himself.  One is even of him running which would have required even more effort.  Do people really do this?  I get the odd hand-held selfie and all, but to set up a camera on the ground, go back and run by it, and then return to pick it up again seems a bit, ummmm, involved.
maybe the coyote took the picture. 

I have a female friend who does that, but she's also a "brand ambassador" for a running apparel company.

The heat and humidity are alive and well here in KC. Hope you boys up north have a chance to get into some of this before the relay. It's tough already. Supposed to be 89 tomorrow and a dew point of 65. Perfect time for my 7 miler after work.

:headbang:

Yeah that's so lame.

That was the one and only time I've done that.  I've only ever even taken a handful of selfies, just not really my thing.  Plus we can all agree that the scenery, and my dog, are much more photogenic than I am.

So yeah, really couldn't have raced any smarter. I'm guessing probably 10-15 people went out ahead of me, and by the time we hit the turnaround at 6.5, I was in 8th place. Never got passed the entire day. Ran the next 6.5 miles all alone (except all the people coming from the other direction on their way out). I think I was 1:48 or something for the 13. Passed one dude towards the end of the first 9-mile loop to move into 7th and then two more towards the end of the second loop to take 5th.

I was 2nd in the 40-49 AG, but since the 1st place guy (44yo) was also the overall winner, I won the masters championship.

I'll maybe add some more thoughts later, but needless to say it was a great day...
Great job! 

I love it when a fellow old dude gets in the top 3, then someone else gets Masters, then someone else gets the AG win. Trickle down economics works! 

ChiefD said:
The heat and humidity are alive and well here in KC. Hope you boys up north have a chance to get into some of this before the relay. It's tough already. Supposed to be 89 tomorrow and a dew point of 65. Perfect time for my 7 miler after work.

:headbang:
Meanwhile in Alabama, the weather has been perfect.

That's going to change by the weekend, but it's been nice here.

Users who are viewing this thread