Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

54 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

The heat and humidity are alive and well here in KC. Hope you boys up north have a chance to get into some of this before the relay. It's tough already. Supposed to be 89 tomorrow and a dew point of 65. Perfect time for my 7 miler after work.

:headbang:

Agree. Wish I could find some heat and humidity before the relay. 

• Love 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I suppose if you're chasing and setting world, old guy AG records, the correct description is "gentleman."  I'm a "dude."  :kicksrock:

That gentleman raced Boston, Big Sur, Broad Street, and this past weekend 111 miles in 24 hrs. Unbelievable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

The Monumental is back in play.

Stay tuned...

So you'll be a little slower at the relay, then, given the weight of the pair you just grew.  :D

• Laughing 9

On 5/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, gruecd said:

So yeah, really couldn't have raced any smarter. I'm guessing probably 10-15 people went out ahead of me, and by the time we hit the turnaround at 6.5, I was in 8th place. Never got passed the entire day. Ran the next 6.5 miles all alone (except all the people coming from the other direction on their way out). I think I was 1:48 or something for the 13. Passed one dude towards the end of the first 9-mile loop to move into 7th and then two more towards the end of the second loop to take 5th.

I was 2nd in the 40-49 AG, but since the 1st place guy (44yo) was also the overall winner, I won the masters championship.

I'll maybe add some more thoughts later, but needless to say it was a great day...

Great job! 

I love it when a fellow old dude gets in the top 3, then someone else gets Masters, then someone else gets the AG win. Trickle down economics works! 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

13 hours ago, ChiefD said:

The heat and humidity are alive and well here in KC. Hope you boys up north have a chance to get into some of this before the relay. It's tough already. Supposed to be 89 tomorrow and a dew point of 65. Perfect time for my 7 miler after work.

:headbang:

Meanwhile in Alabama, the weather has been perfect.

That's going to change by the weekend, but it's been nice here.

• Like 1

So, I'll pretty sure my vivoactive bit the dust. GPS works, but the swim counter and Bluetooth are off. I tried resetting to no avail. 😢

I will probably just keep it for a while but it will be time soon to look for another watch. I like the wrist HRM a lot, seems fairly accurate with me. 

2 years seems to be the max with these things.

After a bit of complaining to Garmin about my 2nd Forerunner 235 not measuring HR worth AF, I got them to send me a 245 to replace it.

Came in yesterday and looks/feels really nice. Will try it out today. Hoping this one works a bit more consistently.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

After a bit of complaining to Garmin about my 2nd Forerunner 235 not measuring HR worth AF, I got them to send me a 245 to replace it.

Came in yesterday and looks/feels really nice. Will try it out today. Hoping this one works a bit more consistently.

👏 👏 

let me know how it goes. 

8 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

So you'll be a little slower at the relay, then, given the weight of the pair you just grew.  :D

Your gait/stride assessment services may also be needed again. 

• Like 1

On my Twitter feed, Gary Robbins retweeted a request to participate in this survey being done by UBC about the perceptions of running shoes.  At the end of the survey, it presents you with various findings from studies about how shoes do/don't prevent injury.  I found it to be quite interesting.

If you don't want to participate in the survey or go through the detail, the tl;dr is "buy shoes for comfort -- cushioning (or lack thereof) and support (or lack thereof) don't prevent injuries".  

There is some evidence that having maximal cushioning lowers ankle/achilles impact at the expense of knee impact.  And minimalist shoes are the reverse.

If you really want to lower injury risk, the key appears to be running "lighter".  Which is what I try to do -- short strides with minimal foot elevation.

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Zasada said:

If you really want to lower injury risk, the key appears to be running "lighter".  Which is what I try to do -- short strides with minimal foot elevation.

My gait is best described as “boom-baba-boom-baba-boom”. 

• Laughing 2

49 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

My gait is best described as “boom-baba-boom-baba-boom”. 

I'm getting tired of these sex life references.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

I'm getting tired of these sex life references.

“Everything in human life is really about sex, except sex. Sex is about power.”

-Oscar Wilde

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, -OZ- said:

So, I'll pretty sure my vivoactive bit the dust. GPS works, but the swim counter and Bluetooth are off. I tried resetting to no avail. 😢

I will probably just keep it for a while but it will be time soon to look for another watch. I like the wrist HRM a lot, seems fairly accurate with me. 

Suunto

5 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I'll give you a 245 review in the next couple of days.

So far, it looks and feels really nice.  Same type of feel and profile of the 235 except it actually feels like a nice piece of equipment (the 235 always felt/looked like a toy).  If it can function as nicely as the 235, then it'll be a great upgrade.  The menus and options are already a huge upgrade.  And apparently it has their newer HR sensor technology which should improve on their previous watches. 

6 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Great job! 

I love it when a fellow old dude gets in the top 3, then someone else gets Masters, then someone else gets the AG win. Trickle down economics works! 

:hifive:

that seems to be 2 votes for "dude" , 1 vote for "gentleman". Old dudes unite!

Edited by The Iguana
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

that seems to be 2 votes for "dude" , 1 vote for "gentleman". Old dudes unite!

I still don't think of myself as "old."  I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, still listen to the same music, etc.  The only difference is that I go to bed and get up a lot earlier...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I still don't think of myself as "old."  I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, still listen to the same music, etc.  The only difference is that I go to bed and get up a lot earlier...

Here, here - it isn't how old you are, it's how old you feel.  We are entering 'the best shape of my life' portion of the football offseason and I feel like I can throw my hat into that ring too.  I was stronger 10 years ago, but my cardio was ####.  I was faster 20 years ago, but since I trained like an idiot it isn't supported in times - and strength was a foreign concept.  I have bested every teenage MAC time over a mile but even if I maintain this level of condition and do a program designed for those races I don't think I'll ever come close to my 400, 800, and 1600 meter times again.  Unless of course my gps goes wonky again like it did earlier this week.  If strava says I set a world record then dammit I did.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Just this week I ran the fastest 5K that I have run since I was 18. 6 months ago I was old, slow, and fat. 6 months later I'm still old and getting older every day - it's better than the alternative! But I'm now closing in on being 40 lbs lighter and I'm a hell of a lot faster with far more endurance.

I'm good embracing my oldness, especially if I can keep getting faster! I seriously doubt I ever break my 5k fastest time from HS but I have completely ruled out the possibility yet! 

Plus, if you are listening to the same music you were 20 years ago, you are getting close to listening to the "oldies station". Just sayin'. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, gruecd said:

The only difference is that I go to bed and get up a lot earlier...

But the real question is this... do you go eat dinner in time to get the early bird special? 

:popcorn:

And for the record, in my head I still like to think I'm closer to 20 than 50 but my body tells me different. After going to the fitness class at work on Monday, I'm reminded of that every time I get up out of my chair this week!

8 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

But the real question is this... do you go eat dinner in time to get the early bird special? 

:popcorn:

What is it if you now eat dinner at 9 PM and go to bed at 9:15?

I've taken a few days off after my last "run" as my back was hurting a little.  Spent time stretching, hydrating and resting.  The good news is my leg is feeling as good or better than when I've started back.  Been out 3 times and been nice and slow on all of them.  I managed to have some 12 min mile pace thrown in which I know sounds crazy slow but considering where I was and trying to not have a set back, I'll take it.  I'm going to get out tomorrow some time and go again - it's frustrating to take it this easy but I was never fast and I just want to feel 100% again so I may take it slow for months.

• Like 4

I've got you all beat in the old competition.  Usually I have dinner around 5:30 or 6:00 and I'm in bed by 7:30.

Now, that's because I get up at 3:00 or 4:00, depending on the day.  But my early bedtime is something that's well-deserving of some mockery!

#gettoffmylawn

#noonmatinees

#can'tdrinkcaffieneafterlunch

9 minutes ago, Zasada said:

I've got you all beat in the old competition.  Usually I have dinner around 5:30 or 6:00 and I'm in bed by 7:30.

Now, that's because I get up at 3:00 or 4:00, depending on the day.  But my early bedtime is something that's well-deserving of some mockery!

#gettoffmylawn

#noonmatinees

#can'tdrinkcaffieneafterlunch

My schedule is similar to this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gruecd said:

I think the bolded is a sign of being old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

Plus, if you are listening to the same music you were 20 years ago, you are getting close to listening to the "oldies station". Just sayin'. 

16 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I think the bolded is a sign of being old.

:lmao: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Jeez, all you relay guys are gonna be asleep by the time I get there on Friday night.

Can you leave the light on for me @gianmarco?

I'm sure someone's prostate will be acting up by the time you arrive and there will at least be a bathroom light on or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Racing Saturday and taper has been pretty meh and legs feel ok. Cut the past few runs short bc I’m paranoid and sluggish.  I have gotten some extra sleep and carbs & water all week. On the roller coaster of confidence and doubt and ready to erase these doubts that I’ve forgotten how to run goal pace. Ready to run my race.  I am confident based on workouts on tired legs and excited to see how I can perform rested, fueled (between 0 and 62 gels planned) and on a flat course. Its a big race but I’m in wave 1 so I think it won’t be jammed up too bad. 

Plan, assuming a good warmup, is first mile about 15 sec slower than goal pace (7:30s)and then get on goal pace by mile 3 end. Then goal pace miles until it’s time to see how much I can dig out for the finish. 

C goal - PR (1:42)

B goal - 1:39:xx

A goal - 1:38:xx

A+ goal aka “Legs Full of Running”- 1:37:xx

When I targeted this to be my A race it was with the intention to get under 1:40 and to set me up fit to proceed into racing shorter stuff in summer and longer in he fall. I’m curious to see what a focused half marathon cycle can produce. I got a good sense of my fitness in March on a test race on a cool day but hillier route and April training went really well to build more confidence for a run on a flat course.  I have had a great training cycle and am stoked for what’s to come on raceday and beyond. Weather looks clear and warm maybe 65* to start so we’ll see what that does to my plans.  

Not sure which of these links will work or perhaps both but I’ll be bib 1338 for anyone bored around guntime at 7:10est. 

https://results.sporthive.com/events/6531498277658068480

https://live.sporthive.com/event/5074/Live

• Like 11

I'm really enjoying this "running without a plan" thing. I'm back to kind of doing what I was early on... I'm just going out and pushing myself on most runs. Have been basically running the first quarter to half mile as kind of a warmup to loosen up the legs. Then pushing just a little faster with each mile, doing about 5 total. Tonight I made the 5th mile into more of a cool down - legs a little heavy but also city congestion and red lights on the way from the canal back to the gym. 

I kind of did the same thing early on - run the same routes but just push faster. Tonight I turned miles 2, 3 and 4 all in the 7:32-7:37 range and that is with my legs still achy and tired from the fitness workout Monday and a quickish 5 miles Tuesday. I want to be able to run that pace for 13+. I feel like I can get there sooner rather than later - maybe even faster... I really want that sub 1:40 half! 

This is so freaking fun! See @gruecd... I can embrace being old and still be a goofy kid waiting for Christmas! Best of both worlds!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

155 SI tonight. If we get this on the relay its gonna be tough boys.

Anyway, 4 miles for me at 9:42 pace with a HR of 158. Now, that does not sound that impressive on the surface. A year ago in this weather that’s a 10:50 pace.

Gonna run tomorrow night before our friends kids graduation, and then 10 on the trails Sunday on a track that should simulate the trail segment I will run during the relay. The goal on Sunday is to see if I can slam the pace on the downhills, since the first portion of my relay segment is a net downhill on the trail. Gotta see what kind of pace I can reasonably handle.

I will be the boat anchor for our team, so I need to try and gain some pace wherever I can. If I can keep my trail portion relatively low, we will be in good shape. If I cannot, I will wreck all of the time the other guys have built up. Should be a good learning run for sure.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, bushdocda said:

👏 👏 

let me know how it goes. 

Used it yesterday for the first time during a run.  Same look and feel as the 235 but better.  My HR curve looks pretty spot on to how things felt.  It looks smoother as well on Strava.  It was a short run, but so far so good. 

I also noticed a new addition that isn't on the 235:  When I finished the run and stopped it, in addition to the "resume" or "stop", there was a "resume later" button.  And, after the run, I could look at all my run info including lap times and even a map. 

I like it.

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Used it yesterday for the first time during a run.  Same look and feel as the 235 but better.  My HR curve looks pretty spot on to how things felt.  It looks smoother as well on Strava.  It was a short run, but so far so good. 

I also noticed a new addition that isn't on the 235:  When I finished the run and stopped it, in addition to the "resume" or "stop", there was a "resume later" button.  And, after the run, I could look at all my run info including lap times and even a map. 

I like it.

Nice. It looks great on paper and it will be an option when I kill my 235. Might take up swimming to speed up the process. 

34 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I like it.

The 245 is on my list (along with a basketball hoop) of things that I was planning to buy before my car got totaled and my hot water heater took a ####.  :rant:

hey.. one other thing I was going to point out... I think it was @ChiefD that had a similar epiphany at some point too... I think I am best suited to not having music with me if I am doing a harder run. Long, slow run - works for me. Going faster - I breath better and concentrate better without it. I can "lose myself" in the music on a longer run, which isn't bad. But if I am going harder, I have come to realize over the last couple weeks, I prefer to concentrate more on what I am doing and am more effective doing it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zasada said:

@bushdocda Good luck on your HM tomorrow!  Will you be using the power of beet juice?  Neurostim?  

Undoubtedly to both. I’ve been micro dosing beet juice for awhile and picked up a new jug this morning on the way to work.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bushdocda said:

Undoubtedly to both. I’ve been micro dosing beet juice for awhile and picked up a new jug this morning on the way to work.  

👍

Choking-down a pint of that is half the battle.