Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

9 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Thank you again for this very timely bump.  With just a couple of tweaks to my daily fueling I've both been able to maintain the quality of workouts and finally dropped some of those pesky pounds I quite simply did not shed over winter.  The 3-5 pounds I "lost" between Christmas/New Year's and early February may have just been December bloat.  While I gained strength between then and mid April my weight was basically exactly the same.  After 5 weeks with tweaks guided by the above?  From 192 to 187.  And I don't think strength nor body fat have suffered either, but won't check up on it til the beginning of June. When hopefully the weight check will yield 185.  I'll decide then if I want to shed anymore.

Re racing - I may finally give it a go this Sunday, 5.25 miler.  But long range isn't good - mid 60's and humid with storm possibilities.  I have a plan through Thursday then I'll make a decision Friday.  If it's looking bad I'll do SoS/long'ish, but if not I'll just do something easy and get fresh.  Of the races I have on my radar the next couple weeks this is the one I want to do most though.  

Awesome!

I'm back on the horse also with the cleaner diet and feel so much better.  I'm getting really strong on the mtn bike - highlighted with a 30mi ride on Saturday.  The sprinting on the bike seems to have my metabolism on overdrive - losing weight in places I thought would never happen.  I've never been more in love with an activity than I am with the bikes - I'm almost euphoric every time we finish a ride.  It's such a great blend of adventure/fun and putting in hard work.  I can't explain it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Awesome!

I'm back on the horse also with the cleaner diet and feel so much better.  I'm getting really strong on the mtn bike - highlighted with a 30mi ride on Saturday.  The sprinting on the bike seems to have my metabolism on overdrive - losing weight in places I thought would never happen.  I've never been more in love with an activity than I am with the bikes - I'm almost euphoric every time we finish a ride.  It's such a great blend of adventure/fun and putting in hard work.  I can't explain it.

@Ned love that feeling that a good MTB ride gives me.    I don't recall ever feeling anything close to that from running.  only thing I routinely feel running is the elation that I'm finished 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Hey @gianmarco - has the race sent anything out about possible flooding conditions?

If Kansas and Missouri gets as much rain as they are forecasting over the next week, that river along the trail is going to be seriously high. I would guess that area is a flood zone as well. Something to keep an eye on.

Just now, ChiefD said:

Hey @gianmarco - has the race sent anything out about possible flooding conditions?

If Kansas and Missouri gets as much rain as they are forecasting over the next week, that river along the trail is going to be seriously high. I would guess that area is a flood zone as well. Something to keep an eye on.

They've been doing recon on the trail. The Katy trail is in good shape. The single tracks are getting better.

We aren't scheduled to get rain except one day this week. Temps are 90 all week as a high. Things should be in good shape. 

Just need it to cool off the following week.

9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

They've been doing recon on the trail. The Katy trail is in good shape. The single tracks are getting better.

We aren't scheduled to get rain except one day this week. Temps are 90 all week as a high. Things should be in good shape. 

Just need it to cool off the following week.

You guys may get the storm we are getting this week next week in your area. And we are getting like 5-7 inches of rain through this weekend. Which will flow down the Missouri River, of which some of this race is run near. Just something to keep an eye on.

Edited by ChiefD

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

And we aren't holding hands like the Pauls.

Not all Pauls :(

6 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

You guys may get the storm we are getting this week next week in your area. And we are getting like 5-7 inches of rain through this weekend. Which will flow down the Missouri River, of which some of this race is run near. Just something to keep an eye on.

Just looked at extended forecast, looks like "possible" thunderstorms every day next week including the last day being race day. Who knows. But temps will drop to highs of upper 70s by the end of the week which is good.

I think we will be fine as we got ridiculous rain recently and it stayed in good shape. Single tracks will just be super muddy and mosquito infested. And it'll be humid. @gruecd will love it.

• Laughing 1

Boston Date Run Report 2019

Well, as alluded to above, I got to meet up with @JAA for a run today. Today was a good time for his schedule and I'm pretty free so it worked out well. We decided to plan on 30-60 minutes and see how the weather cooperated.

It was a nice 80 degrees and no rain as was originally forecasted. Met up and got going pretty quickly along the river. Of course, I tried to just play it cool during the run and chit chat like it was nothing but I realized I was pretty tired from my last few days of running (5+, 5+, and 8+ yesterday). But, he was making it look easy and I wasn't going to be the one to give in at first. 

What's funny is that neither of us ever run with other people. I've run a few times with my wife but that's it and we don't ever really talk when we run. So it was interesting running and holding a conversation.

Anyway, I eventually caved and had to slow him down a bit but had a fantastic run with good weather and great company. It was a pleasure meeting and getting to spend a short time together. Maybe someday I can return the favor in our town.

Of note, he never even noticed the FlipBelt until I showed it off at the very end. 

Thanks again, JAA. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Boston Date Run Report 2019

Of note, he never even noticed the FlipBelt until I showed it off at the very end. 

"Is that a packed FlipBelt or are you just happy to see me?"

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

Did a bunch off kettle bell swings and wall balls at lunch today and then ran tonight... first "2 a day" I've done in a long time. Might not be able to walk or lift my arms tomorrow...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Did a bunch off kettle bell swings and wall balls at lunch today and then ran tonight... first "2 a day" I've done in a long time. Might not be able to walk or lift my arms tomorrow...

The inner thighs after the first round of swings in months may be quiet now. Wednesday though. Those ####ers will bark with a vengeance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brony said:

Did you hold hands like the Pauls? 

11 hours ago, gianmarco said:

And we aren't holding hands like the Pauls.

9 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

"Is that a packed FlipBelt or are you just happy to see me?"

I think a Flip Belt should be the entire kit for each of you for the relay. Just tuck and run. 

• Laughing 1

6 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

I think a Flip Belt should be the entire kit for each of you for the relay. Just tuck and run. 

I think we need more than 1, though.  Otherwise that's not very hygeinic. And it won't affect our time.

Edited by gianmarco

9 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

The inner thighs after the first round of swings in months may be quiet now. Wednesday though. Those ####ers will bark with a vengeance. 

Kinda looking forward to hitting the weight room, starting in a week or two. 

44 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

It's a long game that requires patience, but whatever speed I am right now will be attributed to that work over the last 6 months.  It's also part due to volume adaptation, but my recovery lately has been substantially better than I ever recall.  The sequencing I'm doing right now would have been silly to even consider attempting any time in the previous few years.  Last Thursday was the first time since Fall in which I experienced any sort of discomfort during/after a workout - left heel cut my track workout short.  It was still a little tender before I began Friday's 13 mile adventure but it loosened up, I finished fast, and despite 8 hours of track the next day it never bothered me once.  3 years ago that thing would probably still be bothering me now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

It's a long game that requires patience, but whatever speed I am right now will be attributed to that work over the last 6 months.  It's also part due to volume adaptation, but my recovery lately has been substantially better than I ever recall.  The sequencing I'm doing right now would have been silly to even consider attempting any time in the previous few years.  Last Thursday was the first time since Fall in which I experienced any sort of discomfort during/after a workout - left heel cut my track workout short.  It was still a little tender before I began Friday's 13 mile adventure but it loosened up, I finished fast, and despite 8 hours of track the next day it never bothered me once.  3 years ago that thing would probably still be bothering me now.

Good God man!

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

I technically started last week but I'm "easing into it slowly". Actually I was doing some work there a month or so ago but pretty sporadic. Trying to get to a point of doing it at least a couple days a week. I know it will good for me overall, just trying to make sure I don't over-do-it the first few workouts and then avoid it indefinitely... 

• Like 1

As for possibly over-doing-it... so far so good. I definitely feel it today - but not more than just knowing I did stuff. Will go out and run today and hopefully that well help keep things "loose". Tomorrow will be the big test. If I can get up the stairs at work in the morning, I'll be happy!

Edited by The Iguana
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JAA said:

Check Garmin support, its great.  My watch altimeter went, got a new watch for $100.

And on the 5th try to get things reconnected, Bluetooth is working again.

So my Strava blew up for the past week or two. It's funny how the phone in my Fanny pack running Strava is different than the Garmin. Sometimes by a lot, especially elevation.

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Good God man!

It turned out being a blessing in disguise, but that's why I passed on the Cleveland Half Marathon this year.  And probably will for the next couple decades.  Cause this is what this weekend will be like as long as my boys do track.  Track meet #1 8-12, 20 min drive home, swap out morning kid/food/clothes for afternoon, 20 minute drive out to track meet #2, 30 minute run, track meet #2 1:30-5:30.  No way was I racing the morning after that.

But it wasn't racing conditions anyway Sad finish to a day that left thousands well short of the goals they worked for months towards accomplishing.  It ended up being even hotter and muggier than I teased earlier last week.  There were supposed to be some clouds in the morning to keep things cooler, but it was all sun so it got up north of 80 fast.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

It turned out being a blessing in disguise, but that's why I passed on the Cleveland Half Marathon this year.  And probably will for the next couple decades.  Cause this is what this weekend will be like as long as my boys do track.  Track meet #1 8-12, 20 min drive home, swap out morning kid/food/clothes for afternoon, 20 minute drive out to track meet #2, 30 minute run, track meet #2 1:30-5:30.  No way was I racing the morning after that.

But it wasn't racing conditions anyway Sad finish to a day that left thousands well short of the goals they worked for months towards accomplishing.  It ended up being even hotter and muggier than I teased earlier last week.  There were supposed to be some clouds in the morning to keep things cooler, but it was all sun so it got up north of 80 fast.

Ugh, my wife was just reading that story. Just awful.