What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Yep. But I did ask on the FB page if we'll be allowed to have it in the camp and drink some. Waiting on the response.....
Buddy of mine (from STL) is also running and is friends with the RD.  He was going to ask him directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post my thoughts on some of these from what I remember (drove 2 years ago and ran last year)

Leg 1 -- This starts on a High School Track and it's a short and quick first leg.  @Juxtatarot should be able to smoke this.  He's also going to only be running with 4 others and they should all be FAST.  I'm guessing that will only help him.  Here was our guy from last year.  You 2 are similar runners.

Leg 2 -- This will be mine.  I'm familiar with this area as this is where my son plays soccer and I've run around this lake where we start.  It's a relatively flat segment until we cross the bridge.  I'm hoping to get this done between 7:30 and 7:45 pace.  What'll be fun is the fact that I'll be getting in less than 10 minutes before the station closes based on our start time.  Pressure?  :)

Leg 3 -- This is the one I ran last year.  @tri-man 47 should do well here.  There's an initial descent where you can really pick up speed and then it's just a nice and flat 3 miles with some shade to boot.  I did this last year at a 7:24 pace

Leg 4 -- A nice and flat 7 mile run for @JShare87.  This should be a little after 9am so should be a good run for him. 

Leg 5 -- This is where the challenge starts.  @gruecd starts with a trail leg.  That said, he compares similarly to guys ranked in the top 10 on that leg.  I'm pretty sure he'll finish this with a sub 8 pace. 

Leg 6 -- @ChiefD should do well here.  I know you're worried about losing time here, but if you look at the leaderboard for this leg, you compare favorably to a lot of the guys in the top 25.  There's only 1 decent climb, but IIRC, the person who ran this last year said it wasn't too bad. 

Leg 7 -- Juxt gets a trail leg here.  Again, you are a very similar runner to the guy we had on our team last year who did this.  Here was his leg.  I think you'll do close to that.

Leg 8 -- Another relatively flat 4 mile leg for me.  Once again, I'm shooting for 7:30-7:45 here. 

Leg 9 -- Tri-man gets this trail leg.  I did this one last year.  The first 3 miles or so are nice and flat and easy.  But this trail kicked my ###.  Keep in mind, I'd never run a trail before so that's part of it.  Here was what I did.  After the climb, it wasn't terrible, but that climb took a lot out of me.  There's a final climb to get to the relay point that sucks, though.

Leg 10 -- JShare gets a flat 2.6 mile leg to blaze.  In the afternoon.  Expecting a lot!!  :)

Leg 11 -- Oh, poor Grue.  This is going to be the worst of the day for anyone, I think.  7 1/2 miles of open running in the afternoon with no shade.  Just get it done.

Leg 12 -- Alright, Chief.  3.8 miles of flat open land to burn.  If you can run a HM at an 8 min pace, this should be a piece of cake for you  :)

Leg 13 -- 7 flat miles for Juxt.  Our guy last year ran this really hard.  But it was hot as hell and he almost passed out when he was done.  The biggest challenge here will be the heat along with it being your 3rd run. 

Leg 14 -- Another flat 4 mile run for me.  I'm not letting up and plan on hitting 7:30-7:45 for all my runs.  That's the hope, at least.

Leg 15 -- This is a pretty flat 5 mile run for tri-man.  But, this is also the one I bonked in.  With your experience, you should do well here.

Leg 16 -- Another flat 3.4 mile run in the heat for JShare to smoke.  Just need the wheels to hold up!

Leg 17 --- Grue finally gets rewarded with a 5K distance like run in the afternoon after his first 2 legs.  He should love this, right?

Leg 18 -- Chief gets to bring us home.  You're running through the city of Hermann for most of this.  There's a bridge you go over and then we join you at the very end and cross together.  That motivation alone should pick up the pace.  That, or Grue will just throw you on his back and carry you across.
Fixed.

Ok, I decided to do some predictions based on what you guys have said and what I've seen you guys do and also just some pure guesswork (not everyone is running a PR every leg, fatigue, heat, elevation, etc.).  And I might be way off on some of these (either too high or too low) so don't hold any of this against me, but I figured I'd give a shot at predicting paces/times for each leg to see where we are.  Especially the 3rd legs I dropped the paces some.  I think the end product is pretty close and why we got the start time we did, so here goes.  Asterisk denotes a trail leg so could widely vary.

Leg 1 (Juxt) -- 2.3 miles at 6:00 pace (I think those fast guys will push him).  Total time -- 13:48

Leg 2 (Gian) -- 3.93 miles at 7:40 pace.  Total time 30:06

Leg 3 (Tri) -- 3.2 miles at 7:00 pace.  Total time 22:24

Leg 4 (JShare) -- 7.25 miles at 6:50 pace.  Total time 49:32

*Leg 5 (Grue) -- 4.72 miles at 8:00 pace.  Total time 37:45

*Leg 6 (Chief) -- 5.9 miles at 9:00 pace.  Total time 53:06

*Leg 7 (Juxt) -- 5.73 miles at 7:00 pace.  Total time 40:06

Leg 8 (Gian) -- 4.43 miles at 7:40 pace.  Total time 34:00

*Leg 9 (Tri) -- 5 miles at 8:30 pace.  Total time 42:30

Leg 10 (JShare) -- 2.56  miles at 6:30 pace.  Total time 16:38

Leg 11 (Grue) -- 7.56 miles at 7:00 pace.  Total time 52:55

Leg 12 (Chief) -- 3.8 miles at 7:45 pace.  Total time 29:27

Leg 13 (Juxt) -- 7 miles at 7:00 pace.  Total time 49:00

Leg 14 (Gian) -- 4.2 miles at 7:50 pace.  Total time 32:56

Leg 15 (Tri) -- 5.3 miles at 8:00 pace.  Total time 42:24

Leg 16 (JShare) -- 3.4 miles at 6:45 pace.  Total time 22:57

Leg 17 (Grue) -- 3.84 miles at 7:00 pace.  Total time 26:54

Leg 18 (Chief) -- 3.14 miles at 8:00 pace.  Total time 25:07

Total miles = 83.26 miles

Total time = 10:21:44

Total pace:  7:28 pace

That would have been good enough for 4th place last year.  We would need to shave ~21 total minutes off for 3rd, or about 7 seconds off our total pace.  Which is possible.  But, since the top male team will certainly be in the overall standings, we would still get hardware for that assuming all the above is accurate and similar times from last year.

Of note, here are the total distance/times for each person based on this:

@Juxtatarot -- 15.03 miles/1:42:55
@gianmarco -- 12.56 miles/1:37:00
@tri-man 47 -- 13.5 miles/1:47:18
@JShare87 -- 13.21 miles/1:29:08
@gruecd-- 16.12 miles/1:57:34
@ChiefD-- 12.84 miles/1:47:40

Grue is definitely doing the heavy lifting.  I've got the easiest running for sure.  Chief has the best position (won't have to listen to Grue after each leg).  Juxt and JShare with chances to put up some really speedy legs and challenge our driving.  And Tri is a big wildcard as I went way conservative on the trail leg and I bet he's going to make me regret those paces and is probably where we can make up the most time.

P.S. -- If any of you want me to adjust any of those times for yourself, let me know and I'll update this post.
Also fixed.

FML. :kicksrock:

The Iguana said:
Couple years ago my anniversary weekend was spent doing a tough mudder with a few guys from work. My wife and I stayed at a bed and breakfast for the weekend. I went and ran 11 miles or whatever with obstacles while she sat on the bank of the river all day with a book, wine, snacks, etc. I came back, showered, changed, and we went out to dinner. 
Last year the local tri (Rocketman) was on our anniversary. Sunday morning.  Wife had no problem with me doing it. We celebrated a different weekend. 

gruecd said:
I'll take "Things that would get me divorced in a hot minute" for $500, Alex.
🤷‍♂️ We'll talk again in 20 years. 

ChiefD said:
:lol:

And I'm not laughing AT you...I know how frustrating this may be. But look at it this way - you got a crew of guys who are still coming down to hang out and run. THAT's the part we are happy about.
Oh, I know. I'm actually still super pumped for that. It's going to be awesome.  It'll be fun to compare to last year as well.

gruecd said:
I'll take "Things that would get me divorced in a hot minute" for $500, Alex.
We spent the weekend away together in a huge old house that was turned into a b&b. It was an awesome anniversary weekend. I just spent a few hours off on a run and she spent it hanging out on the bank of a river being pampered. Win/win. 

Could totally see doing the same kind of thing next year in St. Louis if graduation doesn't get in the way. That would be a show stopper. 

No one invited me nor would want me on their team but I’m still OUT
Regardless, these guys seem all gung ho on finishing with a fast time and getting medals or something.  I've never tried but I suspect it's hard to run fast after drinking beers in 80 degree weather.   Plus, due to my "skillset" (whatever the hell that means) they made the most difficult "cross-country" non-paved leg my last one.  I wouldn't be able to drink between legs anyway.  :kicksrock:

Good luck @Zasada and @-OZ-!

Should have been more talk about you guys! We’ve been monopolizing the thread.
Thanks!  

I'm actually finding myself really jealous of your relay.  Sounds like a ton of fun.  Keep posting about it and I'll live vicariously through you.

My race is Sunday 0700 MDT.  Weather looks fantastic.  6C (43F) at the start, and 13C (55F) at the finish (provided I run 4:00).  Wind 11kph (6mph).  Partly cloudy skies, only a 10% chance of rain.

Only thing I can complain about (since in this thread we have to complain about the weather) is that the wind is forecast to shift halfway through the race so there's a chance I get a headwind in both directions (it's a predominantly O&B course).  But with a wind that light, if it's all I have to complain about I'm lucky.

Good luck @Zasada and @-OZ-!

Should have been more talk about you guys! We’ve been monopolizing the thread.
Your relay sounds like a lot more fun. Maybe someday we'll do a FBG tri relay. 

Thanks!  

I'm actually finding myself really jealous of your relay.  Sounds like a ton of fun.  Keep posting about it and I'll live vicariously through you.

My race is Sunday 0700 MDT.  Weather looks fantastic.  6C (43F) at the start, and 13C (55F) at the finish (provided I run 4:00).  Wind 11kph (6mph).  Partly cloudy skies, only a 10% chance of rain.
I'm a bit jealous of your weather, but then we do live in Alabama.

Sunday looks like it will hit the 90s before we're done. Probably 70% humidity, suck index will be in the 150s, maybe 160. Which is just a reminder to not get stuck on the time, just do the race as best planned.  

I do wish we would be able to use wetsuits, but we're all in the same playing field. 

I like how the site lies to us "The protected waters of Lake Guntersville will have little or no current and should offer a great opportunity for a personal record swim time."  Not so much whether there will be a current, but a current offers a better chance at a PR. I think back to beach to battleship, with the current my 2.4 was in the 40s - just about midpack. 

This will be my first 70.3 since chatty a few years ago, I'm pretty sure I'll do better than that (tire issues plus coming off injury). I confuse the stage names, but I think it was tri man who kicked my tail that race, good guy. 

Any of you guys ever get really messed up data on a Strava segment?  Out on my run today I decided to attack a hill where the CR is 30 seconds and I'm #2 at 31 seconds.  Gave the SOB everything I had and was pretty sure I'd gotten a new CR, only to find out when I got home that Strava had me at 1:21 (10:45/mile).  Dafuq?  How does this happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you guys ever get really messed up data on a Strava segment?  Out on my run today I decided to attack a hill where the CR is 30 seconds and I'm #2 at 31 seconds.  Gave the SOB everything I had and was pretty sure I'd gotten a new CR, only to find out when I got home that Strava had me at 1:21 (10:45/mile).  Dafuq?  How does this happen?
Kawhi was defending you?

Just meant as good natured ribbing.  I’ve been hoping for a Bucks v Warriors final. Hell, I’m a Lakers fan so definitely not talking real ####. 
Hahaha I know.  I just had no idea until after Game 5 how emotionally vested I am in this team.  Really hope we can somehow get the tough road win tonight with our backs up against the wall.

So...anything new?  I’m up in Grand  Rapids for the weekend.  Not surprised by the Katy trail news , but it’s a bummer.  The new event will still be fun with you guys.  Something we’ll need are lawn chairs for the day. Brony, you have room for four guys, gym bags, and chairs??

Rooting for Zasada and Oz!!!!!

Yeah it's actually a little cooler than average but that's great.  I guess this is the payoff for training through -30 degree temps in Feb...
Yep. 

November-March reminds me of why we live here.

May-September make me want to move to the Upper Peninsula.

🤷‍♂️

Either of you two have tracking info?
I can't find it on the website.  Maybe I got spoiled with Houston but this marathon doesn't seem to be as well-organized as that one.  

I'm Bib 1926 but there are no tracking links on that page.  Maybe something will come up on the main website on race day.  This tweet suggests something will be live early tomorrow morning (but currently links to last year's results).

On a cool note, my wife volunteers for a dog & cat rescue here in Calgary and her organization was recruited to staff the aid station at the 8K point.  Will be awesome to see her there.

Not exactly running news, but HFS this story is amazing and gave me the chills.  I cat even imagine any of it.  Not being her.  Not being her dad.  Not being her fiancé.  Not being part of the search effort.  None of it.  So unreal.

Not exactly running news, but HFS this story is amazing and gave me the chills.  I cat even imagine any of it.  Not being her.  Not being her dad.  Not being her fiancé.  Not being part of the search effort.  None of it.  So unreal.
that's nuts.  She must have watched Gilligan's Island pretty closely to be able to survive in Hawaii that long.  

I can't find it on the website.  Maybe I got spoiled with Houston but this marathon doesn't seem to be as well-organized as that one.  

I'm Bib 1926 but there are no tracking links on that page.  Maybe something will come up on the main website on race day.  This tweet suggests something will be live early tomorrow morning (but currently links to last year's results).

On a cool note, my wife volunteers for a dog & cat rescue here in Calgary and her organization was recruited to staff the aid station at the 8K point.  Will be awesome to see her there.
Link above doesn't work.

Go here to track: http://www.startlinetiming.com/en/races/2019/calgarymarathon/view/1926

Users who are viewing this thread