What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

I’d strongly consider taking some real honest rest.  If your body is screaming for a break, give it a break.  I get the thinking on switching things up, but I don’t know that still working out every day is the answer. 
Or just hit the pool. 

Well, i had another failed workout this morning.  

3x1 mile.  Goal was 6:00-6:05 pace.  I did them in 6:31, 6:36, 6:43.  Completely and utterly discouraging.

I’m not improving. I’m not having fun. I’m getting frustrated and losing all motivation.

i need to mix it up so I’m cutting back on my mileage and gonna go lift for a few weeks and ride the bike at the gym.  I’ll likely run three days a week and see how I feel.

October Marathon is out and I’ll do the half instead.  Still hoping to possibly do Monumental in November.  But I’m only going if I feel like I can BQ.

Hope I can get out of this rut.
I understand that you are struggling and it sucks, and perhaps some time off would do some good.  Why was your goal pace 6:00-6:05 for this workout?  I see that your 5K PR is 19:26 (6:15 pace).  I know that I am incapable of running 3X1 mile 10-15 sec faster than my 5k pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
The others haven't registered yet. Everyone has been sent the link except @tri-man 47. Considering it took him a year or two to figure out Strava, we may start this league in September of '21.
Ok, I have sent invite's to everyone (thank you @tri-man 47).

If you did not receive it, let me know and I'll try again. Had to do this with one of you guys. In the meantime, since we have some time before the draft, review the settings I've put for the league in terms of scoring, lineup requirements, etc.

Let me know if ya'll want something changed. I just went with the basic settings - did not really change anything. Also, check waiver rules to see if anything needs to be tweaked there. I would prefer this to be as least complicated as possible.

I'll also say that I prefer not to be a traditional commish in this - I figure we are all big boys here and all are fair and honest. So any decisions we may ever need to make can just be a majority rules type of thing. 

For me, this is for fun and some smack talk.  :headbang:

If you did not receive it, let me know and I'll try again. Had to do this with one of you guys. In the meantime, since we have some time before the draft, review the settings I've put for the league in terms of scoring, lineup requirements, etc.

Let me know if ya'll want something changed. I just went with the basic settings - did not really change anything. Also, check waiver rules to see if anything needs to be tweaked there. I would prefer this to be as least complicated as possible.

I'll also say that I prefer not to be a traditional commish in this - I figure we are all big boys here and all are fair and honest. So any decisions we may ever need to make can just be a majority rules type of thing. 

Not seeing it in my yahoo inbox. Can you resend?

The others haven't registered yet. Everyone has been sent the link except @tri-man 47. Considering it took him a year or two to figure out Strava, we may start this league in September of '21.
That was my plan. Delay for two years, snag the 1.1 pick, and take Trevor Lawrence.  #winning. But then I decided to go along with the original arrangements.  #conformist

Fun/hilly 7 mile sightseeing run thru San Fran this morning.  Can’t let @gruecd have all the fun with hill work.

Legs have felt really heavy the last couple of days.  Struggled a couple days ago, took yesterday off, and just got out again and just didn't feel right out there.  Doesn't help it's super humid as well, but I cut it short because I'm a pooooosay.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Maybe I'm just due for a little step back week anyway.

Legs have felt really heavy the last couple of days.  Struggled a couple days ago, took yesterday off, and just got out again and just didn't feel right out there.  Doesn't help it's super humid as well, but I cut it short because I'm a pooooosay.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Check your nutrition as well. When I start to feel sluggish, I'll think back to what I have eaten the last few days. Usually my worst runs are on Mondays because I've been eating out or drinking beer all weekend. Or skipping lunch because I'm out in the yard doing stuff.

As I reload all week my runs usually get better. So review your intake lately and see if there are any gaps or poor choices.

3 things to think about - you made a big jump on the long run 9 days ago, mentioned you haven't been eating as much in general, and have never run as much over a 7 week period as you just did. 

I really messed up last week by not upping my intake when upping my mileage from mid 20s to 40.  By the end of the week I was feeling miserable and couldn't put my finger on why.... then the came the aha! ... you're a moron moment and I ate a good bit more.  What can I say, sometimes I'm a slow learner ... but the upside being it was the first big mileage week so it'll be easier to make sure I'm eating enough the rest of the way. I'm actually looking forward to my SOS days this week (particularly my tempo day) to see how much my PE drops.  
Yeah.  Eating.    I started my hobbit diet and eating this much is as hard as running.  WTF

3 things to think about - you made a big jump on the long run 9 days ago, mentioned you haven't been eating as much in general, and have never run as much over a 7 week period as you just did. 
Yep.  I'm not worried about it.  It's why I'm just listening to what my body is saying and taking it easier and why I didn't push it today.

As for intake, I haven't been limiting anything and actually was letting myself eat whenever I was hungry last week.  I'll try to get a little more in, though. 

Thanks, guys.

Yep.  I'm not worried about it.  It's why I'm just listening to what my body is saying and taking it easier and why I didn't push it today.

As for intake, I haven't been limiting anything and actually was letting myself eat whenever I was hungry last week.  I'll try to get a little more in, though. 

Thanks, guys.
More chews.

Right now trying to figure out how to get today's in. Had a lunch meeting and will be going out to eat with the family this evening before moving my daughter back college tomorrow. Hoping to finish up some work and either go home early for a run or get one in here before leaving... Stupid work!

Thanks, guys.
You haven't been limiting, but you mentioned your weight loss without an increasing appetite (probably due to MAF) at the end of July. You then did that long run fasted and with no fueling. Then mentioned a couple days later how you were hungrier than usual. I think all of those things are good things - just between it and all the miles you've piled up that may explain the lack of energy the last few days. I don't think you need to increase your intake - just don't do any consequential mileage until the energy comes back. If that's this weekend, cool. If it's not til sometime next week, so be it. Just stay in that 45-70 min zone til whenever that time is.

Right now trying to figure out how to get today's in. Had a lunch meeting and will be going out to eat with the family this evening before moving my daughter back college tomorrow. Hoping to finish up some work and either go home early for a run or get one in here before leaving... Stupid work!
Adopt my approach and run in the morning!

Don't worry about the darkness, cold, or loneliness.  It's all good.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The only problem with running early in the morning is the getting out of bed part. Have started getting up early-ish on Saturday mornings to get the long runs done but M-F isn't happening yet...

after last night I can't get over the feeling that if I can get my diet/GI issues worked out (and I'm confident I will) I can have fun with the NYC marathon.  I'm training at a 3:56 pace on Hanson (still a plebe) and feel pretty good with the pacing.  I started out with the mindset of 4:15-20 would be a nice finish... and thought quietly wanting a 4:00 finish.   I now I feel like 3:45 pacing would feel like I'm a bit over my skis, so my pacing is correct. 

Appreciate the community here and the encouragement, boys...   81 days until race day.  

Productive run this morning.  Got 20.3K done in 1:41:31.  Had I run another 800 meters it would have been an estimated HM PR for me.

While the temps were cool (12C/54F), the dew point was only a degree lower than that and the humidity was 89%.  So I was a @gruecd (in moisture only, not in speed) by the time I was done.  

Don't know how you guys do this in 90F.  

Oh and probably funny only to me, but as I was running I saw up ahead a small black creature crossing the street, toward the side I was running on.  As I got closer, it saw me and did the !!!! HOLY #### HUMAN !!!! bounce.  It's bushy tail went up and I saw the distinctive black and white markings of what my dog thinks are "kitties with white stripes".  Kept my distance.

Things you find entertaining at 0355 on deserted and semi-lit streets...

Last edited by a moderator:
ChiefD said:

We've got 14, right?  Two people just haven't accepted the invites yet?

Also, can we do a random number generator or something to determine draft order?

We've got 14, right?  Two people just haven't accepted the invites yet? Correct

Also, can we do a random number generator or something to determine draft order? Not sure. I figured I would wait until everyone logged on and see what kind of flexibility we have.

We've got 14, right?  Two people just haven't accepted the invites yet?

Also, can we do a random number generator or something to determine draft order?
Random is so boring.

I say we rank everyone by elevation gain in the last month.  Or by number of mid-run poops.

Do any of you have a dynamic stretching or warm-up routine that you do regularly before a hard workout or a race?  It's one thing when I'm just going out for an easy run, but when I know I'm gonna need to run hard, it would be nice to have a little 5- or 10-minute routine that I could do after a 1-mile jog or something.

Do any of you have a dynamic stretching or warm-up routine that you do regularly before a hard workout or a race?  It's one thing when I'm just going out for an easy run, but when I know I'm gonna need to run hard, it would be nice to have a little 5- or 10-minute routine that I could do after a 1-mile jog or something.
I eat chews vigorously. 

Sounds like you want something structured. I can't offer that, but I can very loosely describe what I do before an interval workout and race 10K or under - I generally don't do anything beyond neurotism for races longer than that though.

I treat the warm-up like a kinda hybrid between strides, pick up's, and a progression. And I rarely decide how long of a warm-up in advance.  I've done as little as a half mile and as much as 2-3 miles. Just depends how everything's going that day. And the frequency, quantity, and intensity of those strides/pick-up's and the overall progression depend on a lot of factors. i.e. I didn't do this at all before yesterday's 5x1K workout because of the humid conditions - 78/71. While I don't have a HR monitor I'm keenly aware of the state my body in those conditions vs. cooler temps or drier air.  I intentionally go into hard workouts with a higher HR to try to get more out of them, but there's a line. In cooler or drier conditions I can back off from the warm-up a couple minutes before starting reps and get my HR under control. But once my HR goes up in conditions like yesterday it doesn't come back down. Since I don't wear a monitor I don't know, but...I know.

The only real differences between what I do before a hard workout and a race are #1 a break because I obviously don't want an elevated HR before starting a race and #2 1-2 minutes of stretching - walking lunges, tip toe walking, and hip swings. How much of what just depends on how everything's feeling.  If nothing's barking then stop and try to find a place in the shade to lie down til as close to the race starting as possible. I'll stretch out my back if possible, but it's more to just try and relax. I'm never comfortable between finishing stretching and the race starting, but if nothing was barking more stretching isn't gonna solve anything. It's just nerves.

Been a long time boys...

Update for me is that road cycling season is officially ovah and I've scheduled ankle surgery for the end of the end of September.  2 weeks in a walking boot and an additional 2-3 weeks recovery. Will this fix the nerve damage in my foot? Will I be able to run again after? Will I even want to? We shall see...

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! From the activity on strava, I see that most of you are!

Been a long time boys...

Update for me is that road cycling season is officially ovah and I've scheduled ankle surgery for the end of the end of September.  2 weeks in a walking boot and an additional 2-3 weeks recovery. Will this fix the nerve damage in my foot? Will I be able to run again after? Will I even want to? We shall see...

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! From the activity on strava, I see that most of you are!
Hope it all works out great, although I imagine you’ll be something of a nervous wreck for the next several weeks (or at least I would be).  You’ve found a strong niche with your biking!

Good race to see you but dammit, Chiefs  Hang10. I KNOW you can go faster will run again. If that heart monitor determined that pace the whole race surgery makes you think about quitting, next time leave it that attitude in the car when you leave that hospital. Your heart rate was basically on one line the whole race...through hills and even your kick at the end. I'd like to see a gradual uptick as you struggle to maintain pace. is as big or bigger than any #BMF here. I think you left to some time out on that course have something left in those legs of yours for a running career.

Will I be able to run again after? Will I even want to? We shall see...
See above please. 

Good luck on the surgery @Hang 10! Trying to be the most competitive version of yourself when your body is not cooperating is a real #####. Hope this path lands you in a better spot. 

Users who are viewing this thread