What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

This is crazy!  This whole time I thought it was just me and Mickey Mantle. 
I guess the 1020 does NOT stand for 10 beers in 20 hours, or 10 nacho cheese doritoes in 20 minutes...... :thumbdown:

Happy birthday on the 20th of October I guess..... :kicksrock:

So yesterday was...interesting. Got a text from my mom early afternoon that my dad was admitted to the hospital because he'd apparently been having chest tightness for a week. Took some tests, determined that he'd probably had a heart attack, and sent him to the cath lab. Apparently there was too much damage to stent, so he's having bypass surgery this afternoon.

Wife and I drove up last night. She went home to take care of the dog, and I stayed here with my mom. Today is gonna be a looooooong day, so I got up this morning at 3am and ran my 10 miles on 2-3 hours of broken sleep (wearing my buddy's running shoes and some shorts I bought last night at Kohl's). It was pitch dark, just me and the stars....no music....and oddly peaceful.

Back at hospital now, hopefully meeting with surgeon soon. Thoughts and prayers greatly appreciated.
Glad you got in that mind clearing run.  Hang in there grue.  I’ve had my dad in for the same thing...twice.  The positive is that he got into the hospital. Modern medicine on this front is amazing.   It’ll all work out.  T&P heading your way.  
Ive been through the heart stuff far too many times.  Here for you @gruecd if you need an ear, GB.  ♥️

Working through how to manage training for Rehoboth and mountain biking.  I'm the type to need it all laid out in front of me so I can just follow the daily calendar, but juggling everything plus kids' soccer just isn't going to allow me to do that.  My youngest is going to be playing soccer for our club and also an MLS academy league, so I'm going to be spending a lot of time running laps around soccer facilities.  I've sketched out all 16 weeks of it, but I'm going to have to audible the #### out of it.

Today was the 3rd time I've run back to back days all year  :lol:   

I'm racing a mountain bike enduro (its like a time trials sorta race) on 10/13; short intense bursts followed by long recoveries.  That'll be my speed  work for that week, I think.

Looking at racing a local 10 miler on 10/27 if I feel fit enough.

Rehoboth HM on 12/7

I'm being very conservative with my training plan, running up to 5x a week and peaking at 36mi/week.  The old me is still wanting to crank it up to 55mpw, but that's just dumb to expect right now.

Working through how to manage training for Rehoboth and mountain biking.  I'm the type to need it all laid out in front of me so I can just follow the daily calendar, but juggling everything plus kids' soccer just isn't going to allow me to do that.  My youngest is going to be playing soccer for our club and also an MLS academy league, so I'm going to be spending a lot of time running laps around soccer facilities.  I've sketched out all 16 weeks of it, but I'm going to have to audible the #### out of it.

I'm racing a mountain bike enduro (its like a time trials sorta race) on 10/13; short intense bursts followed by long recoveries.  That'll be my speed  work for that week, I think.

Rehoboth HM on 12/7

I'm being very conservative with my training plan, running up to 5x a week and peaking at 36mi/week.  The old me is still wanting to crank it up to 55mpw, but that's just dumb to expect right now.
I'm just happy to see you posting training info in here again. Welcome back.  :thumbup:

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned

Rehoboth HM on 12/7

Welcome back to running. A lot of good resources at your disposal in here. Everyone is extremely helpful too so don’t be afraid to ask! Also, lots of important info on the first page of this thread.

Rehoboth HM on 12/7

only Enduro's I've raced were in TSE.   Was fun for sure.  

• Love
Reactions: Ned
So I had really sore/tight hamstrings on Sunday morning before heading out for my last long training run and couldn't figure out why.   I simply never have tight hamstrings.  Tight IT bands?  Sure.  Sore quads?  Yup.  But hamstrings?  Never. 

Was it the yard work for half the day on Saturday?  Nah, I've done that plenty of times.  Think think think.  Then it quickly hit me.  I was at a local lake with the family on Thursday night and decided that I'd run home and my wife could drive the kids.  Being this six mile run was going to be solely on pavement, coupled with the fact that (a) I rarely run pavement and (b) it was about to storm, I figured I'd "open it up a bit."  Averaged blazing 7:30's for six miles and am 100% certain that I ended up with tight hamstrings from running "fast," considering I couldn't tell you the last time I ran "fast."   How depressing. 

TLDR: Don't attempt to run faster than a slow trail pace.  Ever.  End of story. 

Sunday I had a good 15 mile “easy” run and the legs had pep.

sunday night i did a HIIT workout at home without sneakers on (stupid) and tweaked a ligament on the top of my foot/ankle.

ive been very careful to try to let this heal so it isn’t an issue throughout the fall.

I’m running little bits and icing.  

Ugh. If its not one thing it’s another.  

Thanks, everyone. I honestly have zero concerns about the procedure itself. The surgeon is extremely well-regarded and has been doing this forever...literally thousands of these...and could probably do it in his sleep.

Worst part BY FAR is seeing your dad all scared and vulnerable. He finally broke down last night and I can’t get the image out of my head.

Tried doing a hard treadmill workout this morning and bailed almost immediately. Neither my body nor my brain wanted anything to do with it.

Asking my coach if I can just re-do this whole week's training next week and pick up from there. I'll just do what I can between now and then...probably just some easy, mindless miles. Don’t the energy or mental focus for anything challenging.
Some mindless miles sounds like a good idea.  Good luck today.  We're all Grue fans here.  

Took my dog on a run last night for the first time in a while - he's got most of his running in lately chasing frisbees. Haven't really wanted him out there on the hot pavement and been worried that the heat would get to him in general on longer runs. He just goes and goes and doesn't know when to stop, IMO. Anyway, it was a little cooler, but ridiculously humid. We clicked off 7 miles at about an 8:45 average - he's such a beast. Was a lot of fun having him out there. Still kind of annoying that even though that pace is a comfortable one for me, he looks like he is basically just fast walking - and his legs are so stinking short!

Thanks, everyone. I honestly have zero concerns about the procedure itself. The surgeon is extremely well-regarded and has been doing this forever...literally thousands of these...and could probably do it in his sleep.

Worst part BY FAR is seeing your dad all scared and vulnerable. He finally broke down last night and I can’t get the image out of my head.

Tried doing a hard treadmill workout this morning and bailed almost immediately. Neither my body nor my brain wanted anything to do with it.
You are a good son being by his side throughout all of this. Your strength came from him, and now he's looking at you to give it back. And you are doing so. 

That's the sign of a couple of men cut from the same cloth. Hang in there.  :thumbup:

Thanks, everyone. I honestly have zero concerns about the procedure itself. The surgeon is a real BMF and has been doing this forever...literally thousands of these...and could probably do it in his sleep.

Fixed.

That's tough to hear about your dad's worries.  So glad that you're there for him.  You two are close already (#FeartheDeer, et al), but this adds a new dimension.  I had a particularly difficult night with my mom when she needed overnight care during her dementia, but in hindsight, being with her during that time of weakness was a powerful bond even after she improved.  God be with you all today.

Fixed.

That's tough to hear about your dad's worries.  So glad that you're there for him.  You two are close already (#FeartheDeer, et al), but this adds a new dimension.  I had a particularly difficult night with my mom when she needed overnight care during her dementia, but in hindsight, being with her during that time of weakness was a powerful bond even after she improved.  God be with you all today.
I was going to point this out also. You’ll grow closer after this is all over. Hang in there, GB. 

Third 40 mile week and I’m exhausted. I keep trying remind myself that my body will adapt. The thought of not only next weeks 50 but that I’ll be running that much for the foreseeable future is a bit daunting. 
What about a step back week before the trek up to 50? You haven't done back-to-back 40 plus since joining strava, so being exhausted right now makes sense. May need to reset before taking the next jump though.

Thanks @MAC_32 Today's an off day.  I'm going to do tomorrow's planned 5 at MP and reassess. I'm really happy today's a rest day.  I may end up cutting back my mileage until Tue's intervals from the planned 5, 6, 10, 5 to 3, 3, 5, 3.  Tomorrow will be the decider.  

Thanks again.  Means a lot. 

What about a step back week before the trek up to 50? You haven't done back-to-back 40 plus EVER so being exhausted right now makes sense. May need to reset before taking the next jump though.

Thanks @MAC_32 Today's an off day.  I'm going to do tomorrow's planned 5 at MP and reassess. I'm really happy today's a rest day.  I may end up cutting back my mileage until Tue's intervals from the planned 5, 6, 10, 5 to 3, 3, 5, 3.  Tomorrow will be the decider.  

Thanks again.  Means a lot. 
Are you doing Hanson’s?  What’s your goal marathon?  

Third 40 mile week and I’m exhausted. I keep trying remind myself that my body will adapt. The thought of not only next weeks 50 but that I’ll be running that much for the foreseeable future is a bit daunting. 
I'm feeling a bit in the same boat. After several weeks of bumping things up and then going out for 7 the last 2 nights instead of 5 or 6 like normal, I'm definitely starting to feel it a bit. This coming weekend will have a couple of restful like days with football drafts and some golf, however, so I'm good with it for now. 

Welcome to marathon training, guys!  It does become a grind, and it does become rather all-consuming as it affects sleep schedules, diet, even family commitments.  That's the nature of the beast.  :shrug:  

I will add that I was feeling really beat on Monday night, including a painful twinge on my outer ankle/Achilles.  On Tuesday, I substituted a strong bike workout (with a lower time commitment than another long run would have been), and that workout felt very beneficial (kind of an SOS) and the little pains went away.   

Cross country doesn't start til 3rd grade, but our first grader has been getting anxious since soccer doesnt start until after labor day so I took him out there tonight for practice. He ran track, but never more than a half mile at a time so I had no expectations for what he would do on a 5k run. Then he proceeded to beat every 3rd grader, every 4th grader but one, and even some 5th-8th's. Don't have an official time, but it was under 28 minutes. Proud of that boy. Wow.

MAC_32 said:
Cross country doesn't start til 3rd grade, but our first grader has been getting anxious since soccer doesnt start until after labor day so I took him out there tonight for practice. He ran track, but never more than a half mile at a time so I had no expectations for what he would do on a 5k run. Then he proceeded to beat every 3rd grader, every 4th grader but one, and even some 5th-8th's. Don't have an official time, but it was under 28 minutes. Proud of that boy. Wow.
Wow that's awesome for a first grader!  My third grader ran 26 something last winter and I thought that was pretty good.  

@tri-man 47  Any interest in running Naperville Trails Half September 8 (my birthday)?  It's the one in Danada that we've run before.

Maybe something for @gruecd to think about too although I'm sure you're not looking to commit to it right now.

@tri-man 47  Any interest in running Naperville Trails Half September 8 (my birthday)?  It's the one in Danada that we've run before.

Maybe something for @gruecd to think about too although I'm sure you're not looking to commit to it right now.
I'd very much like to, except that's a Sunday morning, and I have commitments at my church as we start up the new year of activities.  I might run a HM the day before way down in Frankfurt, fitting the standard recommendation of doing a HM about six weeks before a marathon.  Sorry!  I like the course, and it'd be fun to catch the race with you!!

I wish I could, but unfortunately I've already got plans that weekend.   :thumbdown:

Speaking of half marathons, I was planning to run a new one in Racine on September 29, but yesterday the race organizers announced that it was being canceled due to low registration numbers.  So now I'm considering doing the Chicago Half Marathon the same day.  It's a flat, fast race, but I just hate that it's stupid expensive for a half marathon ($115 + fees) and would require a hotel stay the night before.   :hot:

I'd very much like to, except that's a Sunday morning, and I have commitments at my church as we start up the new year of activities.  I might run a HM the day before way down in Frankfurt, fitting the standard recommendation of doing a HM about six weeks before a marathon.  Sorry!  I like the course, and it'd be fun to catch the race with you!!
No problem.  I remember that you prefer Saturdays.

fitting the standard recommendation of doing a HM about six weeks before a marathon
As an n of 1 but when I did this in 2017 I think I left my best on the HM course and my legs suffered the rest of marathon training.  Probably a result of a weak base on my part but I remain unsold on ‘racing’ a half in marathon training for me.  Running it as a long run/progression would be my approach nowadays. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As an of 1 but when I did this in 2017 I think I left my best on the HM course and my legs suffered the rest of marathon training.  Probably a result of a weak base on my part but I remain unsold on ‘racing’ a half in marathon training for me.  Running it as a long run/progression would be my approach nowadays. 
Basically, this ...a la-di-da, I'll run a HM effort.  I tend to recover quickly, so I'm not too worried.  I'm actually running quite a few (>HM) tough trail miles in the annual Dances With Dirt race in Michigan on September 21.  For that one, I worry more about a twisted ankle than I do the mileage.  

1st world problems alert --

We are closing on our new home tomorrow.  For the most part this has been relatively stress free but the last few days I've had a lot to get done.  Kids just started school last week, wife out of town this week for work again, so I'm dealing with all 3 kids with the driving, school open houses/meetings, new school forms, school pictures, soccer team meetings on top of calling to get things started at new house (utilities, trash, etc.), walk throughs (with issues now the day before closing :hot: ) so ......needless to say I've been feeling that stress a bit.  On top of that, my running hasn't been going well of late with some fatigue last week and overall my paces have regressed and that's been super frustrating.  I feel like I'm going backwards and right now I'm considering abandoning this MAF project and just running.

So last night, because I didn't have enough going on, we got a showing request for 6pm last night at our current house which is also when my son has a concussion baseline test to do at his school.  I can't run during the afternoon like I planned because I've got to get the house ready but I figure it's a perfect chance to try and get an hour in as I'll just run by his school during the showing/his test.  It's hilly around there but I'll make it work. 

Get there at 5:45 after picking him up from soccer, he goes in, and I get started.  A little over half mile into my run I get a text from him (now that he has a phone) that he needs the car open so he can get his laptop.  Apparently no one told them.  So after struggling with an uphill to start my run, I have to turn around and start heading back.  While it's downhill,  I'm trying to run faster so that he can get started and not be late for the 6pm start of the test.  As I get to the school, I see him strolling back to where he needs to go with his backpack and laptop.  Apparently I had left the car open and he hadn't checked before texting me.  He did let me know when he got it but I didn't see it.  So I'm running in the 7's with a HR of 160 for half mile and see this and was steaming.  I tried to start running again slowly and eventually just gave up toward the end and let the HR climb again.

The most stressful 3.5 mile run when all I wanted was an hour to run slow and stress-free.  Ugh.  I'd like to get out soon but dealing with stuff for our closing tomorrow plus imminent thunderstorms so I'm not very happy right now.  The only good part about my run yesterday was getting Grue's text about 2 miles in that all went well which was very comforting and made me relax a bit and put things in perspective.

Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

• xulf