What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

I'll never understand why those in the south try to tell me it's so much better down there. 
I am not one of those people. This is the only thing I’ve ever known. It is absolutely brutal from May to October. Hot af. Humid af. Stormy af. Every single day is the same. 90 degrees, 100% humidity. Then, at around 2:30 everyday, a severe thunderstorm. Rinse and repeat.

I am not one of those people. This is the only thing I’ve ever known. It is absolutely brutal from May to October. Hot af. Humid af. Stormy af. Every single day is the same. 90 degrees, 100% humidity. Then, at around 2:30 everyday, a severe thunderstorm. Rinse and repeat.
I never minded it growing up there and living there until my mid 20s. New Orleans not much different. 

But now, it would be an adjustment going back. Fall and early spring here are so great. I just really dislike persistent gray and freezing temps. Every year I'm so ready for winter to be over. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I never minded it growing up there and living there until my mid 20s. New Orleans not much different. 

But now, it would be an adjustment going back. Fall and early spring are so great. I just really dislike persistent gray and freezing temps. Every year I'm so ready for winter to be over. 
I never did either. I really don’t remember it every being this bad, especially with the storms. I would get sick of the cold pretty quick too.

Btw, this is so true. It's amazing and you just know it's a fact of life. I remember it being 3pm. And it lasts about half hour and then it's over. 

Zach Bitter (ultrarunner and fellow Wisconsinite) is attempting to break the 100-mile world record this Saturday....indoor at the Pettit Center as part of the "6 Days in the Dome" race.  He's starting at 9am.  The record, set way back in 2002, is 11:28:03 (6:53/mile).  Zach already owns the American record for 100 miles and the world record for 12 hours.  If you're wondering, that's over 363 laps of the 443-meter track.   :shock:
And he did it!  100 miles in 11:19:18, bettering the previous record that stood for 17 years by about 9 minutes. 

#gotsome

I'll never understand why those in the south try to tell me it's so much better down there. 
Talk to my wife. 

I'm pretty happy here but the summer can eat a big fat ####. But you occasionally get days today that are in the 70s and perfect

I mean, juxt is right. Go west. But I'll battle the south debate til I'm blue in the face. Summer sucks down there. Winter sucks up here. I have more free time in summer, so I think I'd be stupid to prefer the south. It makes sense why old people go south though. Cold becomes more uncomfortable and you have more free time all the time. I'm curious what I'll think if I'm still running though. 

I mean, juxt is right. Go west. But I'll battle the south debate til I'm blue in the face. Summer sucks down there. Winter sucks up here. I have more free time in summer, so I think I'd be stupid to prefer the south. It makes sense why old people go south though. Cold becomes more uncomfortable and you have more free time all the time. I'm curious what I'll think if I'm still running though. 
Depends what you want to do. We enjoy being on the lake and the water park. The heat only really sucks for running, we've gotten used to it. The winters up north are only great until the roads get icy and slushy. I grew up near Detroit and just assumed dirty slush was everywhere.   We don't deal with any of that, just shut everything down if there's a chance of snow. If you ski or enjoy other winter sports you need to go up North or Northwest but we haven't missed that stuff.

Totally agreed for weather and nature, go west. 

Despite it being in the South and August, it is a perfect, almost chilly day today. 73° and beautiful.

33:50 in the swim, 1:12 bike, 44:29 run. 2:30:40 overall. 2nd in the illustrious 40-44 AG. 23/165 male.

the bike felt crappy but the run felt great.  Swim, I'm a drunken sailor

I love this race. A bunch of college kids competing here, Alabama, Clemson, USC, Auburn, Mississippi State, a few others representing. Got passed by an Auburn dude at the start of the run but made sure I beat him. Got passed at mile 3 by a 48 yo woman. I think I'm in love (I did pass her by mile 5, she didn't catch back up).

I'm pleased. 

Depends what you want to do. We enjoy being on the lake and the water park. The heat only really sucks for running, we've gotten used to it. The winters up north are only great until the roads get icy and slushy. I grew up near Detroit and just assumed dirty slush was everywhere.   We don't deal with any of that, just shut everything down if there's a chance of snow. If you ski or enjoy other winter sports you need to go up North or Northwest but we haven't missed that stuff.

Totally agreed for weather and nature, go west. 
Agree. With pools and AC everywhere down south, it's bearable. And there's ways to exercise (early in AM) to avoid when it's at its worst. 

Going out in the winter takes much more planning and supplies.  And I'll always take sweating over feeling cold. Feeling cold is miserable to me. 

I've now gotten enough wardrobe/supplies to manage but there's something to be said to just walk out the door without having to worry about the weather much.

Despite it being in the South and August, it is a perfect, almost chilly day today. 73° and beautiful.

33:50 in the swim, 1:12 bike, 44:29 run. 2:30:40 overall. 2nd in the illustrious 40-44 AG. 23/165 male.

I love this race. A bunch of college kids competing here, Alabama, Clemson, USC, Auburn, Mississippi State, a few others representing. Got passed by an Auburn dude at the start of the run but made sure I beat him. Got passed at mile 3 by a 48 yo woman. I think I'm in love (I did pass her by mile 5, she didn't catch back up).

I'm pleased. 
Way to get some. Congrats!!!

Agree. With pools and AC everywhere down south, it's bearable. And there's ways to exercise (early in AM) to avoid when it's at its worst. 

Going out in the winter takes much more planning and supplies.  And I'll always take sweating over feeling cold. Feeling cold is miserable to me. 

I've now gotten enough wardrobe/supplies to manage but there's something to be said to just walk out the door without having to worry about the weather much.
Both of you are not wrong. But I hate morning. And it does take more time and energy to exercise outdoors in winter. I got time though. Cause there's not much else to do  :lol:

I enjoy quite a bit of winter, especially since I have essentially no commute (and can walk two minutes and grab a shuttle bus).  I don't like the ice underfoot, and I don't like running on the windy days.  But I can bundle up against the temps, and love the peacefulness that comes with a new layer of snow.  I don't even mind shoveling snow ...upper body work.

I enjoy quite a bit of winter, especially since I have essentially no commute (and can walk two minutes and grab a shuttle bus).  I don't like the ice underfoot, and I don't like running on the windy days.  But I can bundle up against the temps, and love the peacefulness that comes with a new layer of snow.  I don't even mind shoveling snow ...upper body work.
No commute is yuge.

Going out in the winter takes much more planning and supplies.
This.  Lived in Houston for 10 years.  The summers were just as uncomfortable as the winters are in Calgary, but the PITA factor of winter is the tie-breaker.  In the summer, there is no snow-shoveling, having to scrape/brush-off your car, having to don 8 articles of clothing just to go outside, etc, etc.

I miss smoking my Thanksgiving turkey outside on a comfortable day with a beer in hand.  Here, smoking a turkey outside for Thanksgiving (even in October, when Canadian TG is), means bundling-up and running outside for 30 seconds to check on the turkey before running back inside.  

I wasn't running when I lived in Houston, and there are no mountains, but as far as climate goes I would take that over what I have now in Calgary.

Granted, Pacific NW or Bay Area sounds perfect.  

Going out in the winter takes much more planning and supplies.  
I suppose one has to take precautions for kids, but I rarely wear a coat in winter.  Most trips are a short distance to and from a car in a parking lot.  Unless there is a terrible wind chill, the minute or two of exposure isn’t too bad.  In fact, the bit of uncomfortableness can to kind of exciting in a limit testing way.  Kind of like eating spicy food.

Granted, Pacific NW or Bay Area sounds perfect.  
:yes:

There’s a reason it’s so damned expensive here. Financially, there are a lot of places that make way more sense. So I’m just looking forward to cutting costs and moving back up to the PNW in a couple of years, where we complain because it drizzles for 5 months. 

I had all kinds of issues with my Vivo which is why I switched over to a Forerunner 735xt. Zero regrets.
I've noticed a couple times recently mine will do some funky stuff with showing me going slower than I actually am for a short time and then going a lot faster but HR, GPS, and overall pace is fine. Just a blip here and there but nothing problematic. Actually did it on my run last night - there's a couple places where I did to like 10 min/mile followed by going 6 min/mile that didn't really happen. Overall info is fine, however. 

All the weather whining... after a number of runs in some less than stellar conditions, I went out for 10 miles yesterday a little after 5 pm. It was still basically 80 degrees but only 50% humidity instead of the 70 or 90 it has been lately. Felt awesome, especially when the wind wasn't at my back. Makes me excited to see how things go as it starts to cool off in another month or so. 

All the weather whining... after a number of runs in some less than stellar conditions, I went out for 10 miles yesterday a little after 5 pm. It was still basically 80 degrees but only 50% humidity instead of the 70 or 90 it has been lately. Felt awesome, especially when the wind wasn't at my back. Makes me excited to see how things go as it starts to cool off in another month or so. 
I feel like I’m coming out of my cocoon after a long Summer of rain and heat. This was an unusual summer in FL to say the least.

I'm pleased. 
Awesome work.  :headbang:

After running some this summer, I'm convinced I will never again run a fall marathon. As much as I loved running Chicago, I could never train seriously in this stuff again. Winter suited me much, much better.

Those 4-5 months of the year when it’s not hot af are amazing. 
:goodposting:

I was born & raised in OH. Lived there 43 years before I moved to SC. We moved in January 2007, it was -20° in OH, it was 40°, bright blue skies and sunshine in SC. I told my wife then we were never moving back. The first summer I thought I would melt, I adjusted and while I would still like less hot weather, the 4-6 months of not summer are fantastic. And frankly, the heat & humidity here isn't a whole lot different than what we had in OH. 90° with 80% humidity  versus 88° with 70% humidity doesn't make that much of a difference when you are physically exerting yourself, you're going to sweat your ### off in both scenarios.

I still love my winter but I don't miss it. Still gets cool enough here for me, 20-30° in the mornings during the winter but no snow and 40° by noon :thumbup:

Running in that was fine, I started riding in it this year and that gets chilly quick but like anything, layer up and get after it.

Our neighborhood pool feels like a bathtub from July - Labor Day.  Its not refreshing in the least bit.  

I don't remember a summer we've gotten this much rain here.  I got caught in a huge downpour this morning.  

I'm pleased. 
Awesome!  Congratulations!

Trying to get back at some hard running.

I did 6x800 this morning in nearly perfect conditions (47 degrees and no wind). 

The paces (per mile) I did for each of the 800's were:  5:56, 5:49, 5:57, 5:50, 5:40, 5:55.  I'm thrilled with this workout.  Hoping to build on it going forward.

After this workout, I went to the gym and lifted.  This is what I need to keep up with while piling on the miles.  Just need to make the time somehow. 

beer 30 said:
:goodposting:

I was born & raised in OH. Lived there 43 years before I moved to SC. We moved in January 2007, it was -20° in OH, it was 40°, bright blue skies and sunshine in SC. I told my wife then we were never moving back. The first summer I thought I would melt, I adjusted and while I would still like less hot weather, the 4-6 months of not summer are fantastic. And frankly, the heat & humidity here isn't a whole lot different than what we had in OH. 90° with 80% humidity  versus 88° with 70% humidity doesn't make that much of a difference when you are physically exerting yourself, you're going to sweat your ### off in both scenarios.

I still love my winter but I don't miss it. Still gets cool enough here for me, 20-30° in the mornings during the winter but no snow and 40° by noon :thumbup:

Running in that was fine, I started riding in it this year and that gets chilly quick but like anything, layer up and get after it.
:no:

NE Ohio anyway. It's well documented how much I loathe mornings. I've had zero runs this year over 90 and only 3 of 85 plus - topping out at 88, twice. Per usual, we were primarily between 75 and 85, sometimes humid sometimes not. Comfortable to run? Nah, especially when humid. But there's a YUGE difference between that and 85-95, both running and not. 

Like I said, maybe my priorities will change when I'm older. Right now though? This is so much better. Just finished 4 days of dry air and high 60's-mid 70's like @The Iguana said while you guys are stuck in the swamp. Humidity is making a 36 hour cameo but never with a dew point over 65 then dry air behind it again.

The Iguana said:
I was reminded yesterday what recovery runs are like in dry air. I usually try to schedule recovery runs on muggier days to SoS in better conditions, but didn't need to worry about that with our weekend weather. I really pushed myself Thu-Sat and my body was telling me that from Saturday afternoon while coaching my son's XC meet until I went out for a stroll yesterday afternoon. 8:02/7:58/7:49/7:57/7:49/7:52...on a recovery run, when I felt beaten up prior. Fall's coming...

ChiefD said:
After running some this summer, I'm convinced I will never again run a fall marathon. As much as I loved running Chicago, I could never train seriously in this stuff again. Winter suited me much, much better.
Yep. 

April is a little late, as in there's risk of a hot humid day, but December - March seems ideal for weather. If you run in the afternoon or don't mind running in the dark.  I think December is among the better months down here, you can build a base in the heat, most quality key runs come in October and November, and I think I can still get out early enough before work most of the time or early enough on the weekends to not impact the family too much.

Summer training in the mornings up a bit north really isn't that bad.  For me, most mornings are in the 60s or low 70s.  Humidity sucks sometimes but it's bearable.  I had thought that I preferred winter training but I am rethinking that.

:no:

NE Ohio anyway. It's well documented how much I loathe mornings. I've had zero runs this year over 90 and only 3 of 85 plus - topping out at 88, twice. Per usual, we were primarily between 75 and 85, sometimes humid sometimes not. Comfortable to run? Nah, especially when humid. But there's a YUGE difference between that and 85-95, both running and not. 

Like I said, maybe my priorities will change when I'm older. Right now though? This is so much better. Just finished 4 days of dry air and high 60's-mid 70's like @The Iguana said while you guys are stuck in the swamp. Humidity is making a 36 hour cameo but never with a dew point over 65 then dry air behind it again.
I grew up in Kent, graduated from Akron, moved to Findlay then to Columbus. All had their pluses & minuses but it still got hot & humid every place I lived. Regardless, enjoy it :thumbup:

My modest week 1 training is in the books.

Mon: 3 easy; it was hot as balls so I just survived and didn't care about pace/hr.  9:16/146
Mon: easy MTB ride.  I've been leading a easy ride on Mondays to let some of the slower riders get some riding in without having to worry about getting lost.
Tue: 3 easy; even hotter today 159 SI.  9:10/151
Wed: The MTB Wednesday crew has been getting faster and faster.  This was a fun one and I felt awesome.  14mi with some good sprints and climbs.  These will be a staple for me to work in some threshold and VO2 max stuff while keeping the impact on my ankle to a min.
Sat: I was going to ride today and run Sunday, but the rain we got on Friday killed that.  So I called my first audible and ran 8 easy.  123 SI was a nice change!  9:04/146

4 hours of total work with 14mi of running.

Planning for 4 runs/19mi this week and 1 MTB ride.

My modest week 1 training is in the books.

Mon: 3 easy; it was hot as balls so I just survived and didn't care about pace/hr.  9:16/146
Mon: easy MTB ride.  I've been leading a easy ride on Mondays to let some of the slower riders get some riding in without having to worry about getting lost.
Tue: 3 easy; even hotter today 159 SI.  9:10/151
Wed: The MTB Wednesday crew has been getting faster and faster.  This was a fun one and I felt awesome.  14mi with some good sprints and climbs.  These will be a staple for me to work in some threshold and VO2 max stuff while keeping the impact on my ankle to a min.
Sat: I was going to ride today and run Sunday, but the rain we got on Friday killed that.  So I called my first audible and ran 8 easy.  123 SI was a nice change!  9:04/146

4 hours of total work with 14mi of running.

Planning for 4 runs/19mi this week and 1 MTB ride.

I can't tell you how excited I am to have you back training for a race.  Go get 'em!

Sorry for being absent in here.  Busy AF trying to catch up on work/life (and still squeeze in all my workouts) after my dad's surgery last week.  Today I was on the road at 7am to go see clients, and I've got a fantasy draft at 5pm, which means (a) maybe one light beer at the draft and (b) a 10-mile run that'll start at 8pm if I'm lucky.  Tomorrow is equally ridiculous with an evening client meeting, so I'll be (hopefully) ducking out of the office for a couple of hours mid-afternoon to do my 3 x 2-mile workout.

Dad is doing OK.  Recovery is a #####.  We were originally hoping that he'd be going home today or tomorrow, but the sedation and the pain meds have caused some painful GI issues that they're trying to rectify.  I feel so bad for him.

And lastly, Boston sign-up starts in like two weeks.  Still no clue if I want to register or not.  Part of me would rather take the $2-3K that I typically spend that weekend and travel somewhere else instead.  The other part wants to be there hanging out with friends.  I'll probably sign up and kick the decision further down the road.  Worst-case scenario I'll have wasted a couple hundred bucks...

Hit the weights for the first time in months today. It's amazing how much better I felt all day vs running or even swimming. It's probably just the uniqueness, but I must lift more often.

How to balance marathon training with getting swo? 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread