What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

Well @pbm107 - I failed my part. Only did 27.6 this week, which is still my longest week in awhile. Saw you got your 50 in -  :headbang: .

Guys - I am in a seriously bad rut now. I don't want to do this anymore. I'm sick of the heat and humidity. I'm sick of my entire schedule having to be arranged to get runs in (even the minimal ones I'm going now). I'm tired of getting up at 4 am on Saturdays to beat the heat and humidity.

I'm only doing this so I don't get fat and lose too much fitness - I've put in too much hard work over the last few years to get to this point. But I'm burning out - I just don't care right now.

How the hell do I get out of this? Any help would be appreciated. 
My memory isn't what it once was, but this seems to be a recurring problem during whatever offseason you find yourself in. Since finding time seems to be a hurdle I'm not sure if suggesting alternative exercises for cross training would solve the problem. The offseason is important because that is when you prepare yourself to take that next step. So if cross training isn't the answer then foregoing an offseason may be - identify shorter races to train for to keep you on schedule.

ChiefD said:
Well @pbm107 - I failed my part. Only did 27.6 this week, which is still my longest week in awhile. Saw you got your 50 in -  :headbang: .

Guys - I am in a seriously bad rut now. I don't want to do this anymore. I'm sick of the heat and humidity. I'm sick of my entire schedule having to be arranged to get runs in (even the minimal ones I'm going now). I'm tired of getting up at 4 am on Saturdays to beat the heat and humidity.

I'm only doing this so I don't get fat and lose too much fitness - I've put in too much hard work over the last few years to get to this point. But I'm burning out - I just don't care right now.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't.  All I can say is that it happens to the best of us, and in my experience at least, it always gets better. 

Also, I'm like @Zasada.  After dropping 30 pounds a couple of years ago and getting back into fighting weight, buying basically a whole new wardrobe, etc., I'm scared to death of falling out of my routine and gaining it back.  That's a large part of my motivation.

13.1 trail run yesterday. Accomplished two things with my 2:36 time. Didn’t take twice as long as @Juxtatarot and shaved 20 mins off my time from July. Didn’t have to walk any of the 1.5 mile climb despite my head telling me that was the sensible thing to do. Enjoyed the 80 degree temps but it’s back in the 90s this week for a few days

Hokie Half on tap for Sunday 

ChiefD said:

Good luck finding a near term and longer term reason to do it.  It’s not easy as we can all agree I think. I’ve been reading a lot of different stuff this summer from ‘Happy Runner’ to the David Goggins book to the Once a Runner series.  It’s provided a lot of perspective on mental stuff and finding our personal ‘why’.  

Weather is frustrating and it’s a big time commitment. The progress can be slow and gains can recede in what feels like a blink. If it’s become a stress creator, there are other ways to be fit and manage stress.  Maybe you just need some cool weather and some trail time. Hope so. 

I'm with you @ChiefD, my "offseason" has been going on way too long and I'm struggling to find my mojo again.  The demands of the new job in mid-June coincided with the recovery time after SD100, and it's just been hard to get back on track.  I haven't run long since mid-July, and even my weekday runs have been shorter than normal.  I can't take the dog up on the trails because of his leg, although I just started running with him on the flats last week a little.  And unlike most people, my daughter back in school actually makes my schedule tougher as it's over an hour round trip so it makes it more difficult to get out in the mornings.

Wah, wah, wah, I know.  I can figure it out if it's important enough to me.  Just hasn't been so for the past couple of months.  I think I need to go volunteer at an aid station or pace somebody or something to get the fire burning again.

I'm new to this running thing...going to do a half next month.

What are you guys wearing for running in the dark?  With the shorter days, morning runs have become darker and darker.  

What are you guys wearing for running in the dark?  With the shorter days, morning runs have become darker and darker.  
My kids got me this a year ago: Tracer360  I've not used it much yet, but I really like it.  Lot of choices on the color display as well as solid vs. flashing lights patterns ...kind of fun to 'express yourself' with the options.  And it's definitely bright enough!!

ChiefD said:

I totally have to have a race on the horizon to help keep me motivated and have some target to shoot for. I was thinking about this today after reading it and realize how easy it would be for me to "fall off the wagon" and go back to just sitting on the couch. I finished up my 3 weeks of crazy by doing ok week 1, pretty good week 2 (least crazy, zero excuses to not do the work), then absolutely ####ty week 3 - but seriously, I was in Vegas for a guy's weekend so it is kind of a win to have actually run once while there! But I followed that up with a pretty crappy week last week after getting home and with equally crappy excuses for not getting back to it full time. I did get in almost 11 Saturday and am "back at it" this week full time.

If I didn't have a half and a full on the horizon, I could totally see me turning back into a lazy turd, unfortunately. Both Saturday and tonight I absolutely loved my time out there but getting there was a bit of a chore. And I've continued to eat like crap the last week or so too... Have to put that back on track ASAP.  

This is all fun and games, IMO, but even fun and games can be a PITA some times. Hang in there, GB. Find some race on the horizon to look forward to, even if it is just some 5k fun run or something. Get something out there to target and you'll have more "purpose" to your runs. 

MAC_32 said:
My memory isn't what it once was, but this seems to be a recurring problem during whatever offseason you find yourself in. Since finding time seems to be a hurdle I'm not sure if suggesting alternative exercises for cross training would solve the problem. The offseason is important because that is when you prepare yourself to take that next step. So if cross training isn't the answer then foregoing an offseason may be - identify shorter races to train for to keep you on schedule.
Yeah, this is about right.  Just need to fight through it somehow.

Gonna look to see if there might be a trail race in the fall. That may be the ticket to get me through the next few weeks until the weather breaks. Then hopefully that is another good trigger.

After dropping 30 pounds a couple of years ago and getting back into fighting weight, buying basically a whole new wardrobe, etc., I'm scared to death of falling out of my routine and gaining it back.  That's a large part of my motivation.
This was my motivation tonight, so thanks for that reminder. Because that is really why I continue to do this. I don't want to become my old me again.

So thank you sir. :thumbup:

This was my motivation tonight, so thanks for that reminder. Because that is really why I continue to do this. I don't want to become my old me again.

So thank you sir. :thumbup:
Being 40 pounds lighter and wanting to stay there is pretty motivating! I'd actually like to lose about 10 more but that only happens if I can get away from the ice cream!

My kids got me this a year ago: Tracer360  I've not used it much yet, but I really like it.  Lot of choices on the color display as well as solid vs. flashing lights patterns ...kind of fun to 'express yourself' with the options.  And it's definitely bright enough!!
We have the same thing. It's really good. It goes on sale frequently at $39.99 on their website here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you in the Strava FBG group?  Which HM are you running?

I'm not cool enough like the other BMFers here to wear active lighting but 100% of my midweek runs are in the dark.  I choose a route that is well-lit and on sidewalks/paths and not the street.  If I were running on the street, I'd probably go with some kind of active lighting.

Also it helps that I get out early enough that there is little traffic on the road.

9 miles at 12:30 pace last night.  Legs were dead but it still felt OK.

Last week:

Monday - 30 min indoor cycling, 30 min lift, 10 mi / 2 hr run

Tuesday - 10 min treadmill, 30 min indoor cycle, 30 min lift/stretch, 3 mi / 40 min run

Wednesday - 50 min lift/stretch, 8.8 mi / 2:22 run/walk

Thursday - 45 min lift/stretch/cycle, 3.1 mi / 26 min treadmill

Friday off

Saturday - 1 hour lift/stretch, 1.5 mile walk

Sunday - 13.1 / 2:36 trail run

About 44 mi the best I can tell and roughly 12.5 hours of training.

Wait, what?  I won my FF matchup?  

I guess the only thing I'll beat @SFBayDuck in life is this match.

Need to get him up here for some trails, and he can show me who's boss.

This is what I had been looking at, and the recommendations here confirmed it  :thumbup:

Are you in the Strava FBG group?  Which HM are you running?

I'm not cool enough like the other BMFers here to wear active lighting but 100% of my midweek runs are in the dark.  I choose a route that is well-lit and on sidewalks/paths and not the street.  If I were running on the street, I'd probably go with some kind of active lighting.

Also it helps that I get out early enough that there is little traffic on the road.
I don't know anything about the Strava FBG group.

I will be doing the Columbus, Ohio HM...my first one.  I just started getting into running around June and have had some minor injury setbacks right at the beginning, but I am hopeful that will be toned down now that I know my limits.  My wife did it last year and I never thought I would like running (hadn't 'run' since HS -- 20 years ago)...but, I started it up, and it has been great.

I live about a half mile from a lit road with a path, which I have been utilizing, but that route is ~ 3 miles and I don't know how much I want to do back-and-forths.  Having some light on me will at least make me more comfortable and will allow me more safely to get to some other areas not too far out that will allow for some variety.

Cool, if you're not on Strava, many of us have found it to be a great way to track progress/volume.  For me, it's a great motivator because I'm a numbers guy and always wanting to improve.  Finally, if you're looking for any advice from the BMFs in this thread, often they will use your Strava runs as a basis for that.  We have a group in Strava, which makes it easier to track as we're chatting in this thread.  It's amazing what some of these guys are capable of.

I will be doing the Columbus, Ohio HM...my first one.  I just started getting into running around June and have had some minor injury setbacks right at the beginning, but I am hopeful that will be toned down now that I know my limits.  My wife did it last year and I never thought I would like running (hadn't 'run' since HS -- 20 years ago)...but, I started it up, and it has been great.
There are a few of us who are pretty new to running (or returned to it after a long hiatus) over the last couple of years (me, @gianmarco, @The Iguana, @ChiefD, among others) so if you're interested, you can flip through this thread and read some of our race reports and experiences.

I ran my first HM just under a year ago (race report here), and @gianmarco's first HM race report was a huge benefit to my first race.  @gianmarco has dialed-back his racing since then, but has another HM targeted for next year.  I think @ChiefD has a phrase that would describe @gianmarco's lack of racing lately, but I'll let you discover that on your own.

Welcome to the group and keep us updated on your progress!

I live about a half mile from a lit road with a path, which I have been utilizing, but that route is ~ 3 miles and I don't know how much I want to do back-and-forths.  Having some light on me will at least make me more comfortable and will allow me more safely to get to some other areas not too far out that will allow for some variety.
welcome. i come from a similar path about a year ago. I ran track and cross country in HS but really just got back into running about this time last year. Signed up with a buddy to do a HM here in Indy last fall and have been kind of hooked since. 

Yesterday went substantially better than I thought it would. Even during the run I kept waiting for the whole operation to fall apart. I had no confidence in my stomach holding up being fueled by an orange, avocado, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried berries, pistachios, granola, and a pizza sandwich - and I went into the run already hungry. Did the first 4 miles at about 7:15 pace then settled in at the planned 7 flat pace. I figured I'd come unglued sometime during the subtle steady climb miles 7-10, but despite hunger pains I got to the final two miles unscathed - so I opened it up and finished 6:35-6:34. 12 miles at a net 7:02.  Niiice.

Power was restored last night, so once we get to the grocery today I can return to my normal diet tomorrow. But for now - bacon.  :porked:

Yesterday went substantially better than I thought it would. Even during the run I kept waiting for the whole operation to fall apart. I had no confidence in my stomach holding up being fueled by an orange, avocado, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried berries, pistachios, granola, and a pizza sandwich - and I went into the run already hungry. Did the first 4 miles at about 7:15 pace then settled in at the planned 7 flat pace. I figured I'd come unglued sometime during the subtle steady climb miles 7-10, but despite hunger pains I got to the final two miles unscathed - so I opened it up and finished 6:35-6:34. 12 miles at a net 7:02.  Niiice.

Power was restored last night, so once we get to the grocery today I can return to my normal diet tomorrow. But for now - bacon.  :porked:
Here I was feeling all good about myself for doing what felt like a "la-ti-da" 7.5 @ 8:07/mile yesterday evening before having dinner and here you come in dropping a 12 @ 7/mile like it's no big deal! 

:D

Nice work.

Already asked (Saints fan) @gianmarco offline, but since he doesn't play FF anymore, would you jabronis trade away Karama to get Dalvin Cook?  Feels like the ultimate "sell low, buy high," which makes me nervous as an investments guy...

Sounds good!  Do you live in Columbus?  They've got a long trail sequence along the river (by TOSU), which I've run on when visiting my twin brother (who is in Grove City).  The more you run, the more you'll identify good routes.  Hopefully you can find some running paths or trails.  I'm in a near-west suburb of Chicago, so most of my running is on the sidewalks, though for longer runs I prefer to drive to a number of different trails.

Good God Man. If I ate that I would be a salad shooter the whole way through my run. 
There were some extremely troubling feelings going on down there starting one block into the run. There's a reason I chose the route that I did. I was almost always within 2 blocks of either the woods or a bathroom. I did get turned around mile 9 though. Accidentally ended up in a neighborhood, meant to go one more street before turning. There were a lot of what if's dancing through my head that mile cause there aren't any exits on that road.

There were some extremely troubling feelings going on down there starting one block into the run. There's a reason I chose the route that I did. 
I've had some sort of lower intestinal issues for over a week now, and every run of mine has also been designed to keep within a 1/2 mile to a mile of a porta-potty.  I've had several very close calls.  Usually it strikes 2-3 times over the first few miles, then I'm fine, but I'm really ready to be over this.  I've got the trail relay in Hell, MI on Saturday and certainly don't want to be dealing with it throughout the weekend (including a 4 1/2 hour car ride).   

I've had some sort of lower intestinal issues for over a week now, and every run of mine has also been designed to keep within a 1/2 mile to a mile of a porta-potty.  I've had several very close calls.  Usually it strikes 2-3 times over the first few miles, then I'm fine, but I'm really ready to be over this.  I've got the trail relay in Hell, MI on Saturday and certainly don't want to be dealing with it throughout the weekend (including a 4 1/2 hour car ride).   
Positive spin in Hell - in case of an emergency there are lots of bailout options without worry of anyone but a runner catching you. And us runners all understand. Even if spotted you'd probably just get a thumbs up or a "BEEN THERE, BUDDY FAT!"

Well, I haven't been out much lately at all. Sucks but just have had so much going on (moving still sucks) and it's been hot AF this past week. In the end, it came at a good time.  At least we are settled and unpacked 90% of boxes.  It was a long week and a half getting there.

Got out this morning finally and while it was still warm and humid, I felt really good at the start and had some stupid low HRs to the point that I thought my watch wasn't working.  It was really nice to get out. 

We leave for vacation next week but I plan on getting in some short runs each day while there. Temps will be quite cool so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Of note, I was 191 pounds this morning. Dropped to 189.1 after my run.  Can't believe I hit anything in the 180's. No doubt this MAF training helps lose weight. When you guys were here for the relay in June, I was 205 at the time (and throughout June).  Down 15 pounds since starting MAF in early July (about 10-11 weeks).

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with Strava lately but I'm hoping this week to get some more miles in. 

Zasada said:
Wait, what?  I won my FF matchup?  

I guess the only thing I'll beat @SFBayDuck in life is this match.

Need to get him up here for some trails, and he can show me who's boss.
1.12 #######g points?  I checked in the third quarter of MNF and I was still up, but in looking at the play-by-play a 2 yard Bell catch at the 9:50 mark of the 4th quarter pushed you over the top.

Let me guess...

green smoothie
Nah - I eat my greens. My water comes out of a tap and beers not in claws.  There are some things younger millenials and gen z have made popular that quite simply just sound made up.  Kom-boo-cha?  Da ####.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
Not sure how you afternoon guys do it. I’m wrapping up at the office here shortly and will be stopping off at the BWI airport loop for what I hope to be a quality session.

Not in my favor is the diablo chicken cheesesteak from last night. #realsmart

I'm making one of my semi-annual attempts at trying to drag myself off the couch and back into shape, and I think this one might actually be taking.

Been running 5 days a week for the last 4 weeks, gradually upping my weekly mileage to 26. Two Sundays ago, I felt so good after running 7 that I tacked on another mile. This Sunday I did 9 but it was a bit of a struggle. Should finish September with 112 miles and will shoot for 150+ in October.

Part of what got me going was tipping the scales at an astronomically high 206 pounds the morning after our mid-August anniversary dinner. Between the running and a fairly good diet, I'm down about 11 pounds. Just picked up a notch on my belt buckle - still wearing my fat pants though, but they're getting a bit loose.

:goodposting:

For me the extra 2 hours of sleep is worth the increased discomfort at a time of day in which my body is actually ready to workout and after the morning plumbing has been expunged.
Same. For me to run in the morning every day, I'd have to get up at 4am.

With 3 kids in multiple sports and activities, I'm usually not in bed until 10 or 10:30 this time of year. So 6 hours a sleep at night would only take me so far. I'd be a zombie after a week.

Same. For me to run in the morning every day, I'd have to get up at 4am.

With 3 kids in multiple sports and activities, I'm usually not in bed until 10 or 10:30 this time of year. So 6 hours a sleep at night would only take me so far. I'd be a zombie after a week.
I share that problem, but if I don't get out early I'm probably not going anywhere. 

Although I might change the schedule soon so I work 7-330 each day instead of the current 8-530 (with every other Monday off)

1.12 #######g points?  I checked in the third quarter of MNF and I was still up, but in looking at the play-by-play a 2 yard Bell catch at the 9:50 mark of the 4th quarter pushed you over the top.
I beat jshare by 0.16 points this week. He had the jets D last night and they made it close but couldn't quite close the gap.

:pickle:  

Users who are viewing this thread