What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Not to be. 

Never had knee pain but both knees went to hell around mile 50. Like a needle into the outside every step. They came back around mile 55 for a bit but down the pooper right before mile 60. Pace slowed to where I wasn’t good to make it so I dropped down to the 100k at mile 80

not used to the cold and it took 30 miles for the legs to warm up

got Behind on my fluids and my second pee of the day at mile 50 was red. Hope that was the morning beet juice and not something internal. That dissuaded me from take any Advil  well I fixed that and was soon having to stop to pee every 30 min  wasn’t long after that the stomach went and mile 72 became a puke fest

thanks to all for the sweat  time for some sleep 
Sounds like ITBS to me. Had that once, at my very first 50M race. Thought I was running with daggers sticking into the outsides of each knee. Probably the most pain I’ve had in a race, so props to you for getting as far as you did. 

Then the constant pee thing (had that at Cascade Crest) and then puking (had that at lots of races), and you definitely hit the trifecta.

Some days the body just decides it doesn’t want to do this anymore. It’s like @ChiefD’s garage -  it has lots of tools, only instead of moving small amounts of various substances to other places, it wants you to stop running. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like ITBS to me. Had that once, at my very first 50M race. Thought I was running with daggers sticking into the outsides of each knee. Probably the most pain I’ve had in a race, so props to you for getting as far as you did. 

Then the constant pee thing (had that at Cascade Crest) and then puking (had that at lots of races), and you definitely hit the trifecta.

Some days the body just decides it doesn’t want to do this anymore. It’s like @ChiefD’s garage -  it has lots of tools, only instead of moving small amounts of various substances to other places, it wants you to stop running. 
Can. You. Dig it?

I seem to have developed a core muscle injury somehow. I didn’t do anything that I recall to cause it. 

It’s in the area where I would figure a hernia would happen. Left side of body. I feel it pretty much every time I get up, move, run, etc....

Been going on for a couple of weeks or so. It’s a minor discomfort when I run but manageable. My main concern is that I literally did nothing to pull a muscle.

Concerned it may be tied to some other weird stomach stuff I’ve been having. Probably gonna need a G.I. Doc visit in the next few weeks. Very odd. 

Ball cancer, nerve damage or what MAC said.

Seriously though - the nagging little injuries suck.  Despite me getting better and being able to really ramp up my exercise my stupid knee still isn’t 100%.  Getting to the point that I’m not sure it ever will be again.

i've had ITBS before in my left leg (25 years ago) and this feels exactly like it.  What I don't understand is that appeared in both knees close to the same time and I having been rolling and stretching the IT for the last 6 weeks diligently.  

Eighty miles is a hell of a run @BassNBrew .  It sucks to hear, but it sounds like you made the right call.  No sense in causing any long term issues just to finish.  Rest up and be proud.  I’ll double back on your “red pee” and Advil comments when I get my ### around to posting a Superior race report, hopefully this week.
Looking forward to your Superior report.  Advil is the only thing that has gotten me through a couple of events, but I'm always careful to hydrate.  I've been using it for a nerve issue in the right lower back, glute, and hip.  Guess it relates back to my protruding disc.  I had actually only gone to the medicine cabinet once this event.  I think the stretching/rolling/yoga really helped with some of the issues I've been fighting. 

Honestly I was scared crapless and thought of you when that piss came out red.  I had forgotten what color your urine was.  I've had brown urine once before but never red.  Eventually common sense kicked in and I remember I had consumed a can of beet juice in the morning and that was more likely the issue than internal bleeding.  I really upped the intake of water and salt tablets and things got back to "normal".  I likely swung the pendulum to over hydrated based on the number of pits stops later.

Temperature started in the 30s and climbed to the low 50s with wind.  It wasn't until later that I noticed my black shirt and shorts were white from sweat.  I should probably do a sweat test at various temperatures to really dial in the hydration (not that it's been anywhere near this temperature to do this).  Drink to thirst didn't cut it this time.  I was probably certainly under a bottle an hour but really didn't keep track.

@BassNBrew, I know you're disappointed.  Sorry that your body didn't align with your mental bad-assery today.  Hopefully you still feel up to a RR.  Powering through the last 30 miles with your knee pain is worth sharing and I'd love to know how you did it.  

I always have red pee after the beet juice, so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.  

Hopefully you're getting a good long sleep right now, you #BMF.  
Thanks man.  I hope your foray into the sport is better than mine.  Regarding that last 30 miles, it gave me time to reflect on some things.  I'm probably retiring from the 100 distance.  I put everything into getting ready for this event.  I feel like the guy running around putting his fingers in the holes in the dam.  I resolve one issue and another arises.  ITBS...wtf?  Not a hint of that during training and I had been doing the stretching and rolling for prevention.  That said, I talked to some people at this event that have really had crappy cards in life dealt to them in the form of family deaths and sickness and addiction.  Kind of puts a boo-boo into perspective.

One thing that surprised me at this event was lack of people around me.  Once the knee issue kicked in there was a lot of RF:DBAP yelled out loud.  That became RS:DBAP,  Eventaully H(ike)F:DBAP seemed more appropriate filled by HS:DBAP.  Last resort was StopBAP.  I was jogging when there was a sudden pain in the outside of one knee.  It wasn't long when the other knee felt the same.  Initially it was only on the down hills and I could still run/job flats and inclines.  The front have of this course was much easier than the back.  I mostly "speed" walked 18-20 min miles on miles 60-72.  I was even still increasing my buffer because at mile 70 I only needed to average 26:30 to 27 min miles to finish.  I was basically waddling from 72 on and the pace dropped below 30 min per mile.  Heck, nothing went right...the Energizer Lithium Super Whizz bang batteries were only lasting about 2-3 hours so I was mostly operating by moon light.

Anyway, back to my originally thought.  I was at an event years ago where I got a shirt that said Do Epic #####.  At the time I thought it was pretty motivational.  It turns out that Epic ##### is a raw nut sack and ### cheeks.  I enjoyed the heck out of the first 50 miles.  I lost some time changing shoes and socks at miles 19 and 39, but felt really strong otherwise.  What I've come to conclusion is that I don't enjoy running at night.  I don't enjoy staring at a circle of light on a trail.  I don't enjoy monitoring dew point in my ### crack  I don't enjoy diicking around with changing clothes/shoes/socks mid race, drop bags, coordinating crew, or having people go out of their way to crew.  Heck, the aid station food that used to be tasty makes me want to vomit (something is not right if the sight of M&Ms makes you want to vomit).  I don't enjoy stressing over backup batteries.  Even when I finished Umstead in spring, I didn't enjoy the last 30 miles.  Also while WS100 and UMTB are great destinations for events, a lot of these qualifiers are in places not on anyone's destination radar.  

So while I disappointed with the outcome on one hand, two bum knees gave me a lot of time to reflect on motivation and realties and I'm very appreciative of that. 

Even the OGBMF is human.  Sucks to read that @BassNBrew, but I get where you're coming from.  Having your body break down and the subsequent enlightenment is a humbling experience.  It took me a long time to come to grips with it.  

Congrats @Juxtatarot on a fantastic marathon.  Pretty awesome you can run a 2:59 in subprime shape when most would have to have the stars align to pull that off.  

---------

I raced my mtn bike enduro yesterday.  Had a fn blast.  Won't bore you guys with the details, but I finished 4th out of 26 in my class.  My brother finished 2nd (same class).  I was only 23 seconds out of 3rd.  Would've been awesome to have both of us up on the podium.  The little bit of running I've been doing helped - the sheer all out sprints hurt like a MF'er (there's not much preparing for that kind of pain/burn), but my recovery between stages was pretty good.  

I seem to have developed a core muscle injury somehow. I didn’t do anything that I recall to cause it. 

It’s in the area where I would figure a hernia would happen. Left side of body. I feel it pretty much every time I get up, move, run, etc....

Been going on for a couple of weeks or so. It’s a minor discomfort when I run but manageable. My main concern is that I literally did nothing to pull a muscle.

Concerned it may be tied to some other weird stomach stuff I’ve been having. Probably gonna need a G.I. Doc visit in the next few weeks. Very odd. 
Good luck. I've seen a GI recently, got labs back 2 weeks ago with nothing, then took an x-ray to see if I have poop stuck in the colon. If that's negative the next step is probably a colonoscopy 🧐 hope you have better luck finding something than I have so far. 

I enjoyed the heck out of the first 50 miles.  I lost some time changing shoes and socks at miles 19 and 39, but felt really strong otherwise.  What I've come to conclusion is that I don't enjoy running at night.  I don't enjoy staring at a circle of light on a trail.
I haven't even run 50mi yet, but when I think about long-term goals, this is the biggest reason I think I wouldn't enjoy (and likely fail) at a 100-miler.  Running through the night would is a huge tipping-point.  Physical capabilities aside, the mental part of that must be brutal.

It's very likely I'm going to DNF Miwok, but I want to find out where my limits are.  Being 100K and 15.5 hours, there very little that's done in the dark for that race.  Just an hour or two at each bookend.  That's probably all I could handle, even on my very best day.

You've got a bunch of 100-milers under your belt, establishing and entrenching your BMFery.  If you can't focus on what's fun, you risk giving-up entirely on fitness and that's a huge loss.  That's why I decided in the spring to never train for a street marathon again.  I will still run them if the mood suits me, but giving up trails for a few months this early this year really put my new-found fitness habits at-risk.  So now I train on trails as much as time permits, and if that means degraded street racing performance, so be it.

Trails got me into this and it's what keeps me coming back.  Hopefully you can settle-in on the distances which keep you coming back, and we all can continue to revel in your BMFery.

Even the OGBMF is human.  Sucks to read that @BassNBrew, but I get where you're coming from.  Having your body break down and the subsequent enlightenment is a humbling experience.  It took me a long time to come to grips with it.  

Congrats @Juxtatarot on a fantastic marathon.  Pretty awesome you can run a 2:59 in subprime shape when most would have to have the stars align to pull that off.  

---------

I raced my mtn bike enduro yesterday.  Had a fn blast.  Won't bore you guys with the details, but I finished 4th out of 26 in my class.  My brother finished 2nd (same class).  I was only 23 seconds out of 3rd.  Would've been awesome to have both of us up on the podium.  The little bit of running I've been doing helped - the sheer all out sprints hurt like a MF'er (there's not much preparing for that kind of pain/burn), but my recovery between stages was pretty good.  
Is endure the same as cyclo-cross?  A fourth place finish is quite a testament to your fitness.

Is endure the same as cyclo-cross?  A fourth place finish is quite a testament to your fitness.
Enduro is a bit different; no need to hop off the bike and carry it like in cyclo-cross.  Traditional enduros are more mountain/downhill oriented (like on ski slopes), but this was cross country style (a lot more pedaling than the downhillers). 

Easiest way to describe it is like time trials, but in the woods.  1-2mi stages with a bunch of pedaling in the transfer stages to get to the next timed stage.  It's essentially hammer the timed stage and see who can keep it red-lined the longest without making too many mistakes; my throat still hurts from all the burning.  Its amazing how a trail that doesn't look too intimidating becomes very difficult once your HR is pegged.  They had to shut down stage 3 for almost 2 hours because a rider broke his wrist and had excessive bleeding (assuming that meant compound fracture?).  :unsure:

The trail was so different than what we're used to; tons of loose shale on top of hard pack.  Pretty unnerving flying into a 90 degree turn and feeling the front tire just chattering across the shale when you hit the apex.  Please hold was the mantra of the day :lol:  

Good luck. I've seen a GI recently, got labs back 2 weeks ago with nothing, then took an x-ray to see if I have poop stuck in the colon. If that's negative the next step is probably a colonoscopy 🧐 hope you have better luck finding something than I have so far. 
Yikes. Hope everything is negative on your end. 

Enduro is a bit different; no need to hop off the bike and carry it like in cyclo-cross.  Traditional enduros are more mountain/downhill oriented (like on ski slopes), but this was cross country style (a lot more pedaling than the downhillers). 

Easiest way to describe it is like time trials, but in the woods.  1-2mi stages with a bunch of pedaling in the transfer stages to get to the next timed stage.  It's essentially hammer the timed stage and see who can keep it red-lined the longest without making too many mistakes; my throat still hurts from all the burning.  Its amazing how a trail that doesn't look too intimidating becomes very difficult once your HR is pegged.  They had to shut down stage 3 for almost 2 hours because a rider broke his wrist and had excessive bleeding (assuming that meant compound fracture?).  :unsure:

The trail was so different than what we're used to; tons of loose shale on top of hard pack.  Pretty unnerving flying into a 90 degree turn and feeling the front tire just chattering across the shale when you hit the apex.  Please hold was the mantra of the day :lol:  
Cyclocross is big here.  The only thing I didn't like is that as the events got longer it became more about having multiple bikes and crewing cleaning them between laps.  What type of bike do you use for enduro?  is it like a downhill bike with big travel?

Cyclocross is big here.  The only thing I didn't like is that as the events got longer it became more about having multiple bikes and crewing cleaning them between laps.  What type of bike do you use for enduro?  is it like a downhill bike with big travel?
A traditional enduro, yeah they use the big travel full suspension bikes.  This race was cross country style (less downhill with more climbing) - we saw a full array of bikes from the full suspension down hillers to what we rode - hard tail carbon (made for climbing).  Some of the bigger downhills I wish I had a full suspension, but it was fine overall.  Each rider I caught was on the climbs - they'd pull some on the downs, I'd gap them on the ups.  The trade-off was worth it to me.

My brother rides the women's version of my bike linked above.  Same exact specs, just different colors.  He found it on a leftover sale for half off and scooped it up.  It's now the source of constant shtick within our riding group  :lol:  

2019 Chicago Marathon Race Report

As I wrote earlier, I wasn’t really sure what to expect for this one.  It was my 13th marathon (not counting three DNFs) but the first one that I wasn’t going to attempt a PR.  Nagging injuries limited my training from pushing mileage and pushing speed like I would have liked to. I got close, but never quite there.

I wanted to be fluid on a race plan and I didn’t really think about it much beforehand.  However, I had decided I would try to hang with the 3:00 pace group to start and adjust faster or slower from there based on heart rate and how I was feeling.

Weather was good -- 40s throughout. It was windy, particularly later in the race.  The wind mostly came out of the west which we faced mostly in the middle of the race but there were some horribly strong wind gusts that we faced coming from the north during the last few miles.  

Going in, I was worried that I messed up my nutrition plan. I couldn’t stomach as many calories as I wanted to Saturday somehow filling myself up on 450 calories of creamer potatoes.  I woke up at 3:30 Sunday morning to get more calories in but felt nauseous eating some raisin bran. During the race, I had a GU at 5, 10 and 15 miles and then a Gatorade gel that they handed out at 18.5.  I also took Gatorade at about half the stops just to add more calories. It was cool enough that I wasn’t worried about hydration and the Gatorade would probably be enough.

GPS doesn’t work well in downtown Chicago so I’ll give you official 5K splits.

5K 20:35 6:38 pace

I didn’t warm up so it was difficult to run on creaky legs that first mile.  Surprisingly, I still ran pretty fast. I had to pass a lot of people in the beginning because I wanted to find the 3:00 pace group that would be up ahead.  I finally caught them around the 2 mile mark.

10K 21:14 6:50 pace

There were lots of people running with the pace group so it was often tight quarters.  I don’t like the stress of being constantly on guard of being tripped or nudged. I was also running tangents poorly and too often seemed to be on the outside making turns.  On the other hand, it was nice to not be concerned with pace and just follow along.

15K 21:07 6:48 pace

I was pleased that my heart rate was mostly staying a hair under 150.   If it was much higher at this point, it would be a danger warning sign for me.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t say I was feeling good but I wasn’t feeling bad either.  

20K 21:05 6:51 pace

About the same as previous 5K.

25K 21:35 6:57 pace

This section included the halfway point which I clocked in at 1:28:50.  Looking back, I’m surprised this is a slower 5K pace. I accidentally got ahead of the pace group but rolled with it.  I wasn’t far ahead but I had assumed I was picking up the pace a little. This was largely an against the wind section so maybe they slowed a little accordingly?  Maybe they felt they were too fast at the half? I don’t know.  I was feeling my groin/abductor pain at this point but pain was at a manageable level.

30K 21:17 6:51 pace

I stayed ahead of the pace group the rest of the way although they must not have been that far behind.  My heart rate started to creep up in the 150s. I was concerned about that and I steadily felt more and more tired.  I still felt reasonably OK but I was worried I’d bonk in the near future.

35K 21:13 6:50 pace

I passed the 20 mile point here and still felt OK.  I started seeing walkers and was consistently passing people who had started to slow.  My heart rate got up to 160 here maintaining the same pace and I think my glycogen levels were about on empty.  

40K 21:15 6:51 pace

Here was the point that each mile seemingly took forever and was a real struggle.  Heart rate went over 160 which is normally in half-marathon/tempo pace for me.

Remaining 2.16K 7:08 pace

As I mentioned, I ran into some terrible wind gusts here and it was really hard.  I was definitely bonked. My pace slowed but I didn’t care. I knew I had time banked for sub 3:00 and that was fine with me.

Final time: 2:59:10.  Overall 1,829/45,962. 151 out of over 3,000 (can find official AG total) in age group.

2019 Chicago Marathon Race Report

As I wrote earlier, I wasn’t really sure what to expect for this one.  It was my 13th marathon
Congrats on #13 - if you wouldn’t mind roughing out your progression time-wise at some point over the course of those races,  I’d appreciate it.  

Good luck getting the nagging stuff you’ve managed leading up to the race ironed out. Great performance and execution!

Congrats on #13 - if you wouldn’t mind roughing out your progression time-wise at some point over the course of those races,  I’d appreciate it.  

Good luck getting the nagging stuff you’ve managed leading up to the race ironed out. Great performance and execution!
Thanks!

For my history, it's probably best to view my Athlinks page.  There's a lot I could write about various periods and why I may have done better or worse so let me know if  you have any questions.

Congrats again, this wasn't your fastest marathon but an argument can be made this was you best executed marathon in regards to pacing.
Yeah, thanks.  I always bonk by the end but this one is certainly in my top three in that regard.  (I also held the pace pretty well in my Spring 2018 and Spring 2012 marathons.)

Final time: 2:59:10.  Overall 1,829/45,962. 151 out of over 3,000 (can find official AG total) in age group.
Found this interesting.  In the last four years the number of starters has increased by over 7500 or by 20%.  Doesn't account for conditions, but a time 50 seconds faster in 2015 had you in 797th.  Which leads to a couple of questions.

1. Can you comment on 45,000 people in one race?  Mind boggling number of people.

2. Are you seeing runners in general getting faster or is this mostly noise driven by favorable weather conditions and more people doing this distance.?

I've still been dealing with some intestinal issue, going into week six of it now.  It's improved, and not an issue most of thei time, but it's still a 50-50 proposition as to whether I'll need to make an emergency stop a few miles into each run.  I really don't want to lose a minute or two - or get caught between aid stations/porto-potties - during the marathon in two weeks!  Dropping off a lab sample today.

1. Can you comment on 45,000 people in one race?  Mind boggling number of people.
The Indy 500 Mini-Marathon that I did in May had 20K in it and it was kind of cool/crazy. I can't imagine what 45K people waiting at the starting line is like. For mine, there were literally 26 starting corrals. I was seeded into corral D and had a decent amount of issues bobbing and weaving to start the race. Being near the front and looking back at the crowd was fun but I could not imagine what it would be like to have been further back in the pack! That would not be fun, especially if I had any designs on running for a PR at this point. 

For that race, about mile 2 and 12 had a short section that ran parallel to each other. Based on the projected start time of the last corral and the race winners time, they were definitely passing each other in this section. 

Yup!  Four weeks to go?  If so, you might add a 17 miler next weekend (~2:30 hours), which will be for the legs more than the mind.
Also, as for this, my plan that I has me doing about 15-16 this week, about 12-13 next week, 8ish the following weekend and then race day. I had planned to follow that pretty close along with the other work it has in there as well. 

Pretty sure I'm going to sign back up for the May HM again. Probably will do so here in the next couple of weeks before the price increases.

Found this interesting.  In the last four years the number of starters has increased by over 7500 or by 20%.  Doesn't account for conditions, but a time 50 seconds faster in 2015 had you in 797th.  Which leads to a couple of questions.

2. Are you seeing runners in general getting faster or is this mostly noise driven by favorable weather conditions and more people doing this distance.?
1. After my first Chicago Marathon, I’ve always been in the first wave.  (3 waves: 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30 start times with staggers each corral.) They do a good job of enforcing qualifications for the early corrals so it’s rare for a runner to be going much slower than the masses.  It was tight early but I could get past people when necessary.  Pretty wide roads early on too.  Later it thins but there were always people around.  I assume it’s much worse the further back one starts.

2. I’m not sure.  2015 had good conditions too (temps in 50s IIRC). My guess is the demand to run it has increased and it just has attracted faster runners. I suspect that more people aren’t getting in (it’s a lottery if you don’t time qualify) so that might make a difference too. 

I may do the Carmel full marathon but the Indy Mini doesn't have a full so... 

:D
And in this context, after doing 22 this past Saturday and spending the rest of the day and Sunday and still a little today licking my "wounds", I'm still torn on the whole idea of doing other marathons. I doubt I will do only 1, but I'm not sure I'll be doing a ton of them. Definitely like racing the HM distance and can see doing a number of them at various times in the year. A full marathon is likely to be a more rare occurrence but who knows...

Random question. Has anyone ever seen any stats regarding the effect on pace/effort of talking while running?

For my 18 this past Saturday, I did the first 8 alone, and I was having to mindfully hold myself back from running faster than 7:2x pace because it felt so easy. I met a buddy for the last 10, and it immediately felt harder, but we were keeping up a conversation the entire time.

And in this context, after doing 22 this past Saturday and spending the rest of the day and Sunday and still a little today licking my "wounds", I'm still torn on the whole idea of doing other marathons. I doubt I will do only 1, but I'm not sure I'll be doing a ton of them. Definitely like racing the HM distance and can see doing a number of them at various times in the year. A full marathon is likely to be a more rare occurrence but who knows...
Nobody starts out planning to do a ton of marathons.  It just kind of happens.

Random question. Has anyone ever seen any stats regarding the effect on pace/effort of talking while running?

For my 18 this past Saturday, I did the first 8 alone, and I was having to mindfully hold myself back from running faster than 7:2x pace because it felt so easy. I met a buddy for the last 10, and it immediately felt harder, but we were keeping up a conversation the entire time.
I've noticed my avg HR is usually higher when I run with someone where we've talked the whole time.  :shrug:

Happy guy right now. Was not initially looking forward to the run today after this weekend. Despite spending a decent amount of time stretching and walking my dog over the last day and a half, I was still feeling the effects of Saturday this morning. Often do my "1 on 1" time with my boss walking outside around our building and did that today. Did that again today and finally started feeling better. Did basically 10k today without really looking at my watch much - just did "what was comfortable" occasionally checking HR and just making sure I was more or less "cruising" and breathing easy. It felt awesome and my legs feel a ton better than I expected. 

Usually one by one, swearing them off each time.
Nov 2018:  "I should give a marathon a try.  Just one, though.  Check the box and be done.  Houston looks good."

Jan 2019:  "I just did my first marathon!"

Jan 2019 + 1 day:  "I had to walk some of that marathon, I think I should do another and not walk any of it.  Calgary in May looks good."

May 2019:  "Mission accomplished!  No walking but it was hell and I had to #### myself.  I'm done with street marathons forever."

July 2019:  "Ohhh that discounted registration rate for Houston is about to expire..."

Lately when I've been running with my wife, my HR has been way lower than running alone. I don't understand it.  

Now, we are running way slower than you and we aren't talking the whole time, but it's been noticeable and consistent. 

Lately when I've been running with my wife, my HR has been way lower than running alone. I don't understand it.  

Now, we are running way slower than you and we aren't talking the whole time, but it's been noticeable and consistent. 
No stats, but my old tri club coaches used to incorporate conversational pace into our training during recovery weeks especially.

Buddy I run with every Sunday is always conversational pace, but the nature of the conversation is usually one-way for long stretches...definitely messes with breathing and then heart rate when it's my turn to talk.

Thanks man.  I hope your foray into the sport is better than mine.  Regarding that last 30 miles, it gave me time to reflect on some things.  I'm probably retiring from the 100 distance.  I put everything into getting ready for this event.  I feel like the guy running around putting his fingers in the holes in the dam.  I resolve one issue and another arises.  ITBS...wtf?  Not a hint of that during training and I had been doing the stretching and rolling for prevention.  That said, I talked to some people at this event that have really had crappy cards in life dealt to them in the form of family deaths and sickness and addiction.  Kind of puts a boo-boo into perspective.

Anyway, back to my originally thought.  I was at an event years ago where I got a shirt that said Do Epic #####.  At the time I thought it was pretty motivational.  It turns out that Epic ##### is a raw nut sack and ### cheeks.  I enjoyed the heck out of the first 50 miles.  I lost some time changing shoes and socks at miles 19 and 39, but felt really strong otherwise.  What I've come to conclusion is that I don't enjoy running at night.  I don't enjoy staring at a circle of light on a trail.  I don't enjoy monitoring dew point in my ### crack  I don't enjoy diicking around with changing clothes/shoes/socks mid race, drop bags, coordinating crew, or having people go out of their way to crew.  Heck, the aid station food that used to be tasty makes me want to vomit (something is not right if the sight of M&Ms makes you want to vomit).  I don't enjoy stressing over backup batteries.  Even when I finished Umstead in spring, I didn't enjoy the last 30 miles.  Also while WS100 and UMTB are great destinations for events, a lot of these qualifiers are in places not on anyone's destination radar.  
For us mid-back of the pack folks, the 100M distance is a mix of logistics, problem solving, and fitness - probably in that order.  And nighttime running just amplifies the importance of those first two even more.  I've always kind of enjoyed those parts of it, geeking out on my pace charts and packing and repacking drop bags.  But it can suck when things aren't going well, as you and I both know all too well.

I haven't even run 50mi yet, but when I think about long-term goals, this is the biggest reason I think I wouldn't enjoy (and likely fail) at a 100-miler.  Running through the night would is a huge tipping-point.  Physical capabilities aside, the mental part of that must be brutal.

It's very likely I'm going to DNF Miwok, but I want to find out where my limits are.  Being 100K and 15.5 hours, there very little that's done in the dark for that race.  Just an hour or two at each bookend.  That's probably all I could handle, even on my very best day.

You've got a bunch of 100-milers under your belt, establishing and entrenching your BMFery.  If you can't focus on what's fun, you risk giving-up entirely on fitness and that's a huge loss.  That's why I decided in the spring to never train for a street marathon again.  I will still run them if the mood suits me, but giving up trails for a few months this early this year really put my new-found fitness habits at-risk.  So now I train on trails as much as time permits, and if that means degraded street racing performance, so be it.

Trails got me into this and it's what keeps me coming back.  Hopefully you can settle-in on the distances which keep you coming back, and we all can continue to revel in your BMFery.
First of all, enough with that ####.  No reason you can't finish Miwok.  It is an aggressive cutoff no doubt, but it's appropriate and very doable on that course.  And you are correct that night running won't be much of an issue.  I think I had my headlamp on for the first 30-45 minutes, and it's an easy part of the race because you're stuck in a conga line as you slowly climb up through the woods for the first few miles, then you pop out onto a ridge line with smooth trails as the sun is coming up .  So no problems there.  You may need it for the very end of the race as you do drop back down into the woods as the sun is going down, and that part of the course is the most technical of the entire race so it can be a little tricky.  But it's an hour or so at most, and you're smelling the barn the whole time.

As for each of these posts, it's why I think 100K is such a great distance.  It's long enough and you may get a little night running in for that full ultra experience, but the logistics are simplified and you get to go to bed the same day you woke up.  

Users who are viewing this thread