What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Anyone want to run the NYC Marathon next year?  I’ve been thinking about how to kick off my entrance into the 50-54 AG next fall and I’m considering choosing that one.
The 50-54 thing is something I've started looking forward to. There's not a date on it yet but kind of bummed that I'll probably turn 50 about 3 days after the HM that I just ran a week ago but also means that the Monumental next year will be just after my 50th birthday... 

An update of sorts: my right foot and ankle (Post tib tendinitis) starting to feel better after 5 weeks, currently going through the whole goldilocks deal of finding the taping/insole that will allow both feet to be happy… supportive enough for my off ankle yet not too much for my “good” one.  Running fitness waning and with no chance at a sub 4, I'm staring down the barrel of a full fledged survival mode marathon.  My sisters are flying up to cheer me own with my wife and kids.  I don't think I'll be drinking beers on first avenue this year (something I did in 2016) but maybe a nip of a flask in honor of my Pop.   

these past 5 weeks have been a bit depressing... i've sorta stayed away from this thread. perusing and skimming instead of digesting.  I saw enough to see y'all are some BMFrs.  

Anyone want to run the NYC Marathon next year?  I’ve been thinking about how to kick off my entrance into the 50-54 AG next fall and I’m considering choosing that one.

If you, or anyone else here runs it... I'll show up on course with a cowbell.  

I feel like I was shortchanged not being able to train properly for it this year, but I don't know if I want to run it next. 

I am likely picking a Nov marathon early in 2020 and I’ll try NY lottery for ####s as I don’t time qualify.  More likely Richmond where I end up or if a marathon meetup springs up I’d consider elsewhere. 

Found this interesting.  In the last four years the number of starters has increased by over 7500 or by 20%.  Doesn't account for conditions, but a time 50 seconds faster in 2015 had you in 797th.  Which leads to a couple of questions.

1. Can you comment on 45,000 people in one race?  Mind boggling number of people.

2. Are you seeing runners in general getting faster or is this mostly noise driven by favorable weather conditions and more people doing this distance.?
Congratulations on the sub 3 Juxt!  Still can't believe that your HR is below 150 on a 20 minute-ish 5k.  

Btw, here is interesting time lapse of Chicago marathon start (45 second video).  I couldn't find Juxt, but you might have more luck. 

Another random question

My wife, for twenty plus years together has refused to run (she does Zumba and occasionally weights, but that's been sporadic this year) sent me this text:

I'm going to regret this, but I want to start running. Start with a 5k- maybe with the boys. 

Now, I'm thinking :clap:  but also, especially after my 11yo has given up running, how do we make this fun enough that they want to keep going? Our 8yo "tried out" for elementary school track but missed by a lot (needed a 7:59 mile, he ran 10:46) and he complains while running.

I know couch to 5k has worked for many, but do y'all have any tips for keeping it fun for everyone? I'll try to get my 16 and 14 yo on board but that will be difficult. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Another random question

My wife, for twenty plus years together has refused to run (she does Zumba and occasionally weights, but that's been sporadic this year) sent me this text:

I'm going to regret this, but I want to start running. Start with a 5k- maybe with the boys. 

Now, I'm thinking :clap:  but also, especially after my 11yo has given up running, how do we make this fun enough that they want to keep going? Our 8yo "tried out" for elementary school track but missed by a lot (needed a 7:59 mile, he ran 10:46) and he complains while running.

I know couch to 5k has worked for many, but do y'all have any tips for keeping it fun for everyone? I'll try to get my 16 and 14 yo on board but that will be difficult. 
As someone who recently started running 2 years ago and is married to a long time runner, I can share the perspective just a little bit.

First, find out if she wants to run together or not.  If so, then you can help by running really slowly and keeping her at a conversational pace.  As you and everyone here already knows, everyone starts out trying to go too fast and doesn't understand the importance of going as slow as needed. 

If she's going to run alone, then it just depends on if she's someone that likes to share what's going on or not.  I was big into sharing and my wife didn't really care to hear about it.  So Strava and this thread was a great outlet for that and all my questions.  You're such an experienced runner that I think you'll be able to help her no matter how she wants.

I think the biggest thing you can help with to both make it fun and make it something she'll want to stick with is find a target race and set a realistic goal that will push her but not be outside the realm of what she can do. 

My $.02.

Update on my end - finished IM Louisville for the fourth time yesterday, my 13th IM overall.  It was my validation race for 2019 for the Legacy program.  Now all I've got to do is finish a half next year (2020) and a half in 2021 prior to Kona and I'm in the big dance for October 2021.  Long story short - swim was cancelled, bike start was 39 degrees (so I'm pretty happy the swim was cancelled), bike was awful (I had forgotten how hilly the course is, pretty much all up/down except the first/last 10 miles), but I had a very good run.  Broke 4:00 for the marathon for only my second time - 3:59:32.  Wasn't a real goal of mine but I was pretty pumped to see that in the athlete tracker last night.

Update on my end - finished IM Louisville for the fourth time yesterday, my 13th IM overall.  It was my validation race for 2019 for the Legacy program.  Now all I've got to do is finish a half next year (2020) and a half in 2021 prior to Kona and I'm in the big dance for October 2021.  Long story short - swim was cancelled, bike start was 39 degrees (so I'm pretty happy the swim was cancelled), bike was awful (I had forgotten how hilly the course is, pretty much all up/down except the first/last 10 miles), but I had a very good run.  Broke 4:00 for the marathon for only my second time - 3:59:32.  Wasn't a real goal of mine but I was pretty pumped to see that in the athlete tracker last night.
Awesome. Congrats!!  :headbang:

ThreeThousand said:
Congrats! 

I so wanted to do Louisville a while ago, but it seems other than relative convenience, the course had issues every year. The year it was super hot I had a few friends do it, then there's the water... 

Awesome job!

ThreeThousand said:
A guy saw me hobbling today and asked if I did Ironman Louisville. I was thinking who the #### does an Ironman in winter. Turns out he was pacing at the 100 I was at

congrats on getting kona in your crosshairs 

ThreeThousand said:
We interrupt all the BMF chatter for a quick BMF report.  Congrats on yet another IM, Ironman!!!

Congrats! 

I so wanted to do Louisville a while ago, but it seems other than relative convenience, the course had issues every year. The year it was super hot I had a few friends do it, then there's the water... 

Awesome job!
Swim was cancelled last year too. October's always this rough in Kentucky? 

bushdocda said:
Congrats on #13 - if you wouldn’t mind roughing out your progression time-wise at some point over the course of those races,  I’d appreciate it.  
I was thinking about this more today and wanted to give a more thorough review.  I'll include my DNFs.

1. Chicago Marathon, October 2008 3:50:46

This was the first race I ran since 7th grade.  I had been running for a few years but rarely over five miles and not very consistently.  I trained pretty well (ran 4 to 5 times a week)  although I didn't have a running watch or smart phone and didn't concern myself with pace.  Race day was hot getting into the 70s.  I started way back in the back and did tons of weaving at first.  The last several miles we're total survival mode willing myself not to walk (which I managed) but I slowed way down.  To date, this is the longest time-wise I've ever run race day or in training.

2. Chicago Marathon, October 2009 3:26:00

I felt like I really learned a lot from my first experience and really dedicated myself to making improvements.  I got a Garmin watch (305!!) for the first time.  I also joined a gym and started doing tempo-like runs on the treadmill.  Race weather was cold (upper 30s to start) and that helped tremendously.  I was elated with this time.

3. Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon, January 2010 3:32:22

A friend convinced me to run this one with him.  I didn't take this training that seriously after overconfidence from previous successes and it showed.  I also developed some hip bursitis and that impacted things.  I about died at the end but managed to run all the way through.  I remember they had video of  me finishing and being horrified by  watching my running form.

4. Chicago Marathon, October 2010 3:41:05

One of my worst and the first time I started walking.  It was hot and I didn't train seriously.  

5.  Chicago Marathon, October 2011 3:28:00

This one was better than it seemed.  It was the first time I ran with a training schedule running with one of Higdon's.  It was hot again.  Even though I didn't PR, it was my best race to date weather adjusted.

6. Green Bay Marathon, May 2012 DNF

Training for this one was the first time I became active in the 10K thread.  I ran the popular (at the time) 18 week/up to 55 mile Pfitzinger schedule.  I was in the best shape of my life.  However, it was hot getting up in the 80s.  I was right around BQ qualifying pace (3:15 at the time) when the race was cancelled at mile 21 due to heat.  I've written about this before I know but it was a traumatic running experience.

7. Sunburst Marathon (South Bend, IN), June 2012 3:08:03

This likely will forever be my fondest race experience.  The only one that I shed a few tears afterwards (although I'm come close some other times).  Two weeks after the cancellation at Green Bay I wanted to try again and got unseasonably cool weather.  My Garmin battery died around the half way point but I was feeling great and knew I was running well.  I wasn't exactly sure how fast I was running but way elated when I saw the clock at the finish inside Notre Dame's stadium and BQed with ease and with a major PR. 

8. Chicago Marathon, October 2012 3:05:26

I don't remember a lot about this one other than the weather was nice.   I wasn't hyper PR focused until I knew about the weather.  I think my training was good but nothing earth-shattering.  PR regardless.

9. Boston Marathon, April 2013 3:24:22

I really tried hard to train better for this race and it was the first time I entertained sub 3:00.  I followed the Pfitzinger 18 week/up to 70 mile program.  It may have been too much for me  as I always seemed run-down when it came to pace runs, tempos and speed work.  I also had some injury (ankle?  I don't remember) and didn't run much or at all the last week.  My nutrition and sleep were off the last few days before the race and I ended up under-performing.  I walked a lot the last several miles.  

10. Chicago Marathon, October 2014 3:04:18

I had trained well and was going for sub 3:00 but struggled significantly in the final third.  I think this was the race that I took off my watch during in the last few miles and literally put it in my pocket so I wouldn't have to look at it.  I PR'd but I was still disappointed.

11. Naperville (IL) Marthon, November 2014 DNF

I felt like the reason I under-performed marathon 10 was hydration/nutrition related and wanted to try again.  Looking back, I just think I wasn't in the proper shape.   After signing up for this second chance, I developed a hip injury.  I decided to give it a go but the hip pain was really bad around the half way point.  Bailed around mile 16.

12. Chicago Marathon, October 2015 2:58:20

This was the first time the thread became active on Strava.  @pbm107, @Hang 10@Ned and I were all training for a marathon that summer.  It was highly motivating to follow them every day and know they were following me.  I started running seven days a week and switched from mainly  being an evening runner to a morning runner.  It might make sense that this would be my favorite marathon finally breaking 3:00 but it felt more like a relief.

13.  Wisconsin Marathon (Kenosha, WI), May 2017 DNF

I avoided a marathon in 2016 to focus on other distances.  I thought I trained well for this one but I fell apart in the second half and walked off the course around mile 23.  It may have been some combination of brutal winds (over 20 mph) and poor nutrition.  I still don't quite know.

14.  Spring Chance BQ2 (Geneva, IL), April 2018 2:56:51

Perfect flat, easy course to run a marathon and perfect weather.  Huge redemption for me.  I was originally just hoping to BQ since I was going through physical therapy due to heel/Achilles problems.  I ran a great tune up half marathon though and decided to give a PR shot a go.  Certainly one of my best races.

15. Carmel (IN) Marathon, March 2019 2:55: 37

I came off a great training cylcle in fall  2018 setting PRs in the 5K (multiple times), 5-miler, and half marathon.  I carried it into 2019 although I struggled with training and injury near the end.  I think I would have done better if I would have ran a marathon in January.  Still a nice PR even though I faded at the end.

16.  Chicago Marathon, October 2019 2:59:10

We're up to date.

I was thinking about this more today and wanted to give a more thorough review.  I'll include my DNFs.

1. Chicago Marathon, October 2008 3:50:46

This was the first race I ran since 7th grade.  I had been running for a few years but rarely over five miles and not very consistently.  I trained pretty well (ran 4 to 5 times a week)  although I didn't have a running watch or smart phone and didn't concern myself with pace.  Race day was hot getting into the 70s.  I started way back in the back and did tons of weaving at first.  The last several miles we're total survival mode willing myself not to walk (which I managed) but I slowed way down.  To date, this is the longest time-wise I've ever run race day or in training.

2. Chicago Marathon, October 2009 3:26:00

I felt like I really learned a lot from my first experience and really dedicated myself to making improvements.  I got a Garmin watch (305!!) for the first time.  I also joined a gym and started doing tempo-like runs on the treadmill.  Race weather was cold (upper 30s to start) and that helped tremendously.  I was elated with this time.

3. Rock N Roll Arizona Marathon, January 2010 3:32:22

A friend convinced me to run this one with him.  I didn't take this training that seriously after overconfidence from previous successes and it showed.  I also developed some hip bursitis and that impacted things.  I about died at the end but managed to run all the way through.  I remember they had video of  me finishing and being horrified by  watching my running form.

4. Chicago Marathon, October 2010 3:41:05

One of my worst and the first time I started walking.  It was hot and I didn't train seriously.  

5.  Chicago Marathon, October 2011 3:28:00

This one was better than it seemed.  It was the first time I ran with a training schedule running with one of Higdon's.  It was hot again.  Even though I didn't PR, it was my best race to date weather adjusted.

6. Green Bay Marathon, May 2012 DNF

Training for this one was the first time I became active in the 10K thread.  I ran the popular (at the time) 18 week/up to 55 mile Pfitzinger schedule.  I was in the best shape of my life.  However, it was hot getting up in the 80s.  I was right around BQ qualifying pace (3:15 at the time) when the race was cancelled at mile 21 due to heat.  I've written about this before I know but it was a traumatic running experience.

7. Sunburst Marathon (South Bend, IN), June 2012 3:08:03

This likely will forever be my fondest race experience.  The only one that I shed a few tears afterwards (although I'm come close some other times).  Two weeks after the cancellation at Green Bay I wanted to try again and got unseasonably cool weather.  My Garmin battery died around the half way point but I was feeling great and knew I was running well.  I wasn't exactly sure how fast I was running but way elated when I saw the clock at the finish inside Notre Dame's stadium and BQed with ease and with a major PR. 

8. Chicago Marathon, October 2012 3:05:26

I don't remember a lot about this one other than the weather was nice.   I wasn't hyper PR focused until I knew about the weather.  I think my training was good but nothing earth-shattering.  PR regardless.

9. Boston Marathon, April 2013 3:24:22

I really tried hard to train better for this race and it was the first time I entertained sub 3:00.  I followed the Pfitzinger 18 week/up to 70 mile program.  It may have been too much for me  as I always seemed run-down when it came to pace runs, tempos and speed work.  I also had some injury (ankle?  I don't remember) and didn't run much or at all the last week.  My nutrition and sleep were off the last few days before the race and I ended up under-performing.  I walked a lot the last several miles.  

10. Chicago Marathon, October 2014 3:04:18

I had trained well and was going for sub 3:00 but struggled significantly in the final third.  I think this was the race that I took off my watch during in the last few miles and literally put it in my pocket so I wouldn't have to look at it.  I PR'd but I was still disappointed.

11. Naperville (IL) Marthon, November 2014 DNF

I felt like the reason I under-performed marathon 10 was hydration/nutrition related and wanted to try again.  Looking back, I just think I wasn't in the proper shape.   After signing up for this second chance, I developed a hip injury.  I decided to give it a go but the hip pain was really bad around the half way point.  Bailed around mile 16.

12. Chicago Marathon, October 2015 2:58:20

This was the first time the thread became active on Strava.  @pbm107, @Hang 10@Ned and I were all training for a marathon that summer.  It was highly motivating to follow them every day and know they were following me.  I started running seven days a week and switched from mainly  being an evening runner to a morning runner.  It might make sense that this would be my favorite marathon finally breaking 3:00 but it felt more like a relief.

13.  Wisconsin Marathon (Kenosha, WI), May 2017 DNF

I avoided a marathon in 2016 to focus on other distances.  I thought I trained well for this one but I fell apart in the second half and walked off the course around mile 23.  It may have been some combination of brutal winds (over 20 mph) and poor nutrition.  I still don't quite know.

14.  Spring Chance BQ2 (Geneva, IL), April 2018 2:56:51

Perfect flat, easy course to run a marathon and perfect weather.  Huge redemption for me.  I was originally just hoping to BQ since I was going through physical therapy due to heel/Achilles problems.  I ran a great tune up half marathon though and decided to give a PR shot a go.  Certainly one of my best races.

15. Carmel (IN) Marathon, March 2019 2:55: 37

I came off a great training cylcle in fall  2018 setting PRs in the 5K (multiple times), 5-miler, and half marathon.  I carried it into 2019 although I struggled with training and injury near the end.  I think I would have done better if I would have ran a marathon in January.  Still a nice PR even though I faded at the end.

16.  Chicago Marathon, October 2019 2:59:10

We're up to date.
Thanks for sharing this.

ThreeThousand said:
You should post more - I’m more intrigued by tris and you are obviously a BMF - and being a Tech fan is just icing on the cake.  You are my idol.   :wub:

You should post more - I’m more intrigued by tris and you are obviously a BMF - and being a Tech fan is just icing on the cake.  You are my idol.   :wub:
I bang the table for our non runners to post more in here probably at least once per year, but for whatever reason many don't. :sadbanana:

I'll admit my motives are at least part selfish though. I want a window into that world to see if it is something I will consider sometime down the line. 

I bang the table for our non runners to post more in here probably at least once per year, but for whatever reason many don't. :sadbanana:

I'll admit my motives are at least part selfish though. I want a window into that world to see if it is something I will consider sometime down the line. 
I’ve actually done more triathlons than running races if I don’t count the fun runs my wife and I did a few times.  Honestly, while I love to swim it’s kind of boring to talk about.

This was awesome, thanks for taking the time.  Right at the start I had one major realization:

To date, this is the longest time-wise I've ever run race day or in training.
It never really dawned on me, but my Calgary marathon will very likely be the longest (time-wise) uninterrupted run (with no walking) I'll ever do.  Either I'll be walking major sections of Ultras, or running marathons faster.  Or run/walking future marathons.  Very strange to realize this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swim was cancelled last year too. October's always this rough in Kentucky? 
Swim was actually shortened last year.  The first 1/3 of the swim is upriver in a protected channel, then downriver for the remaining 2/3.  The pros couldn't make it upriver against the current last year so the AG swim was just the downriver portion.  It was somewhere around 1500-1600 meters instead of the normal 3800.

The weather has been variable since the race was moved to October.  Of the 4 I've done in October, 2 were very good weather, one was an exceptionally windy day, and the last was very cold (Sunday). 

On a related note, I mentioned this before but after doing 22 miles Saturday morning, I spent Saturday afternoon removing 4 bushes from the front of my house per my wife's request. I was probably less thrilled with that prospect than @gianmarco was with his neighbor. I still have to work on removing the stumps for those at some point. Not looking forward to that either. 

Comforting when you're anxious about your first 3x2 mile workout then log on to strava and see @pbm107 and @SteelCurtain logged the same workout earlier today. 

How'd it go?
They’re actually different workouts as I am following the half marathon plan and @SteelCurtainis following the marathon. My target pace is half marathon pace -10 seconds and his is marathon pace -10. 

This workout went okay, and I am improving but I am going to have to revise my goal time, 1:21 isn’t happening this training cycle. I’m now hoping that I’ll be able to PR, sub 1:23:23.

This training plan is tough for me, I have a difficult time running at tempo or half marathon pace in comparison to VO2 max workouts. Tomorrow’s 7 miles at HMP will be a challenge. I have run more miles than ever at half marathon pace or faster this cycle and I’m hoping it will pay off. 

Good luck with your 3x2 workout.

They’re actually different workouts as I am following the half marathon plan and @SteelCurtainis following the marathon. My target pace is half marathon pace -10 seconds and his is marathon pace -10. 

This workout went okay, and I am improving but I am going to have to revise my goal time, 1:21 isn’t happening this training cycle. I’m now hoping that I’ll be able to PR, sub 1:23:23.

This training plan is tough for me, I have a difficult time running at tempo or half marathon pace in comparison to VO2 max workouts. Tomorrow’s 7 miles at HMP will be a challenge. I have run more miles than ever at half marathon pace or faster this cycle and I’m hoping it will pay off. 

Good luck with your 3x2 workout.
What is your taper going to be like for the half? I know you have a full in December so I guessing it will be abbreviated.

Users who are viewing this thread