What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Other update...my dad.

I know I have updated you all some...and I don't talk about it much other than with my wife...so its good to get some of it out here.

Things had gotten pretty worrisome lately.

His short term memory is terrible right now...very forgetful and confused in day to day tasks (does not remember if he took his medication...what day it is...stuff like that. My stepmother is thankfully a pretty organized person with this stuff and has kept on top of it). Physically...he has been very worn down and weak (especially his legs). He seems pretty sharp about any older memories and some cognitive stuff though...and has kept his pretty bad sense of humor through all of it.

We have been hoping a lot of this was due to the chemo, radiation, and steroids. Before his chemo treatment yesterday, they got in to see the oncologist and after the examination and things...she stated that a lot of it was due to the radiation and chemo and the weakness can be triggered by that (especially where he is in his treatment). Also, the leg weakness was in both legs indicating it probably had to do with treatment and steroids. If it was the tumor causing that, they think it would be more prominent in one leg or the other. Has his next CT in a couple weeks...so just stick to the plan for now.

This was all pretty good news at this point. Still some rough weeks coming with this treatment...so hoping the CT looks good in a couple weeks.

I'm learning just how heavy stress can weigh on my running. Work has been a complete nightmare to the point I've contemplated just unplugging and walking away on a daily basis. It has really affected my running in a bad way. My motivation is zapped... the only thing keeping me going is just how therapeutic running can be - and my commitment to running Ice Age with gruecd.

It's funny how it is a double edged sword... stress has really decreased my performance, but running has been absolutely critical to my mental health. :loco: :hot: :angry:
I was right there with you about 5 weeks ago. Nothing to say, but keep fighting. It sucks and there's nothing that can be said to change it. Just keep treating running as stress relief.

I'm putting likelihood of beating last year's St. Malachi 5 mile time at very doubtful. I've finally had two runs in sunny conditions above freezing and the speed is just not there right now. I'd rather fail racing after it, so I'm going to make a run for 33 minutes and risk finishing in 37-38 rather just try to run 35 something, but I'm more interested in Juxt's race report than my own.

Friday is the first "no walking" day for me. Not sure how that's going to happen given I wasn't able to do 8 run, 5 walk, 8 run today, but I'm going to give it a whirl.

but I'm more interested in Juxt's race report than my own.
:lol:

We'll see. My body is really having its problems. Nagging issues now in a calf, both heels and one foot. I'll run easy tonight and then take Thursday and Friday off. With the injuries and still a lingering cold, I'm not 100%. I've run sub 6:00 one mile tests last weekend and again yesterday and they've been more of a struggle than they should be.

Regardless, I've decided to treat this as an A race. Hopefully I'll PR and then I'll consider resting for a few weeks. I really don't want to take time off now, lose fitness, and feel like I'm starting my training over again.

How many of you will do a longer race pace run leading up to a half marathon?

The Higdon plan has pace runs (meaning my race pace goal), but the longest one on the schedule is 5 miles. I've been tracking great on those runs in regards to heart rate, but my only concern is not running a longer run at my targeted race heart rate.

Should I try and do a longer run at that pace? I'm thinking 8-9 miles, maybe even 10, but not sure if that is wise. After this weekend I am 4 weeks out from my race.

Thoughts?

First run in the 80s and didn't bring water - that was a mistake. Also wore my vibrams for the first time in a few months. Curious to see if that truly matters.

Today called for 6x800s at 10k pace (oops, thought it was supposed to be 8, so I did 8). Like last time, I modify this to use laps by time - so equal time on the interval as the rest interval. Set the lap to 3:15 and off we go. Easy warmup, walked for a couple minutes then started the watch, jog 3:15. First interval felt great but went way too fast. After the 5th interval I rested an additional minute to go get some water.

Interval paces: 5:36, 6:06, 6:12, 6:29, 6:27, 6:10, 6:15, 6:26 (which I guess puts me at a sub 40 10k - faster than I could probably do)

ETA: 4 hours later, I get up and :topcat: legs are sore!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Higdon plan has pace runs (meaning my race pace goal), but the longest one on the schedule is 5 miles. I've been tracking great on those runs in regards to heart rate, but my only concern is not running a longer run at my targeted race heart rate.

Should I try and do a longer run at that pace? I'm thinking 8-9 miles, maybe even 10, but not sure if that is wise. After this weekend I am 4 weeks out from my race.

Thoughts?
If your goal is to finish, you'll be fine.

Depending on which plan you're following, he also calls for a 10k and 15k race. Presumably these would be faster than HM pace. He also calls for 2 hour 3/1 sessions, which will be 3 to 4 miles after you've already ran 8-10 miles.

Thoughts?
You're skipping the 5K, 10K and 15K races?

Thoughts?
I've skipped the 5k and 10k days, mainly because of budget. I have an amount I can spend each year, and the watch unfortunately took up a large chunk of that. On those two days, I try and run a higher pace runs to at least try and simulate a race. I know it's not perfect, but I have to work with what I have available.

I may try and do the 15k one. It comes up in two weeks. I guess that's probably my answer. Lol

Thoughts?
I've skipped the 5k and 10k days, mainly because of budget. I have an amount I can spend each year, and the watch unfortunately took up a large chunk of that. On those two days, I try and run a higher pace runs to at least try and simulate a race. I know it's not perfect, but I have to work with what I have available.I may try and do the 15k one. It comes up in two weeks. I guess that's probably my answer. Lol
I've done the same and admit to not doing the 15k. but, my B half is in two weeks, A on April 12. So in a sense the first HM is the 15k with extra credit.

I'm learning just how heavy stress can weigh on my running. Work has been a complete nightmare to the point I've contemplated just unplugging and walking away on a daily basis. It has really affected my running in a bad way. My motivation is zapped... the only thing keeping me going is just how therapeutic running can be - and my commitment to running Ice Age with gruecd.

It's funny how it is a double edged sword... stress has really decreased my performance, but running has been absolutely critical to my mental health. :loco: :hot: :angry:
I was right there with you about 5 weeks ago. Nothing to say, but keep fighting. It sucks and there's nothing that can be said to change it. Just keep treating running as stress relief.
:yes:

Back in October my father passed. After the three day funeral process I had to go back into work with no time to take off and for three months worked 70+ hour weeks every week. And be the executor of a complicated estate. Stress off the charts. Honestly I was almost to the point of just throwing all my athletic stuff out as the tunnel seemed so damn long that I'd never get out.

It gets better. It really does.

In fact, I just bought a new house yesterday. So after a relatively peaceful February I managed to ramp my stress levels right back up. :D

Thoughts?
Before (4 weeks) my best HM I ran a 10 mile race. Seemed to work out pretty well for me.

Ned -- Work-related stress for me is a two-edged sword. Most of the time it gives me something to think about while I run, and it makes running something I look forward to even more than usual because of the therapeutic value. There've been a couple of times that it's completely wiped out my motivation, but that's pretty rare for me.

Juxt and MAC -- Go get 'em this weekend.

Chief -- When training for a HM, I literally never run at goal race pace. Every single mile is either far slower (long runs, GA runs, recovery runs, MP runs), a little faster (tempo runs) or a lot faster (intervals). I don't think there's any good physiological reason to train at HM goal pace aside from some kind of psychic boost.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Ned -- Work-related stress for me is a two-edged sword. Most of the time it gives me something to think about while I run, and it makes running something I look forward to even more than usual because of the therapeutic value. There've been a couple of times that it's completely wiped out my motivation, but that's pretty rare for me.

Chief -- When training for a HM, I literally never run at goal race pace. Every single mile is either far slower (long runs, GA runs, recovery runs, MP runs), a little faster (tempo runs) or a lot faster (intervals). I don't think there's any good physiological reason to train at HM goal pace aside from some kind of psychic boost.
It would be interesting to see the evidence (if there is any) here. Canova seems to disagree but he's focused on elites and not us everyday types.

It would be interesting to see the evidence (if there is any) here. Canova seems to disagree but he's focused on elites and not us everyday types.
Gruecd has posted about the 'nothing at race pace' before. While a long run at race pace can provide a mental boost, it could also be deflating if the run doesn't go as well as desired. We each need to really develop our own approach. For marathons, I like a number of tempo runs faster than marathon pace ('I can hold this pace quite well, and for the marathon, I get to slow it down!'), but I tend to run slower than race pace for HM training ('this pace feels OK; I can gut out a slightly faster pace in the race environment').

Juxt and MAC - do well! Juxt, hope you can run relatively healthy. I swear, I'm a running jinx to you ...after our great long run last fall, your hip acted up for the Naperville marathon. And now shortly after our recent run together, we're both struggling with injuries. On that front, though, I walked 3 miles today and added in numerous short jogs. They felt OK, and after soaking my foot in a bucket of cold water afterwards, I seem none the worse for it. :encouraged:

sho nuff - sorry to hear of the ongoing challenges for your dad. It's so tough to see parents struggle in their later years. That stress really does have an effect. During some Maffetone training back in November, I remember a couple slow runs where work thoughts crept into my mind ...and my very low HR moved up several ticks. I see that at the start of races, too, where my HR is much higher than when I take off on a training run. Lots of mental aspects to our sport!!

Interesting discussion. Thanks all for the responses. It seems like the recurring theme here is the importance of the tempo runs. Good timing, since my training calendar calls for one tonight.

Juxt and MAC - do well! Juxt, hope you can run relatively healthy. I swear, I'm a running jinx to you ...after our great long run last fall, your hip acted up for the Naperville marathon. And now shortly after our recent run together, we're both struggling with injuries.
If it makes you feel better (or less cursed), I don't think my recent injuries had anything to do with our recent run. I was a little too stubborn on the treadmill for a week or two and ignored some early signs of problems and, not surprisingly, they got worse. Not that anything is THAT bad this time. Pains will probably come and go during the race but I don't think they'll register more than a 3 or 4 on a 10-point scale.

sho nuff - sorry to hear of the ongoing challenges for your dad. It's so tough to see parents struggle in their later years. That stress really does have an effect. During some Maffetone training back in November, I remember a couple slow runs where work thoughts crept into my mind ...and my very low HR moved up several ticks. I see that at the start of races, too, where my HR is much higher than when I take off on a training run. Lots of mental aspects to our sport!!
Interesting enough...my mind has not wandered to that during runs. Granted...my running isn't hitting the high mileage at this time...5-6 at a time at this point.

But thanks.

I think part of the good and bad of it is being 12 hours away. I don't see the day to day struggles he has and just hear about them. The downside of that is not seeing family as often as I would like.

He and my step mom were going to come down to surprise me on my birthday but decided with the weather issues going on around then (ice and snow even down here)...that was probably not the best thing with his health the way it is if they were to get stuck in anything.

They are now planning on it not long after the radiation is over and he gets a little strength back. And we are planning a long trip to Wisconsin this summer.

Adding to my review of the Polar. Finally got to really have it outside today and loved it. Nicer day and it picked up GPS super quick.

Easy to scroll through the screens if I want to...good feedback enough to alert me on laps (and would probably be the same to alert me if my HR creeped up too high).

Definitely liking it.

I posted this a few weeks ago without anyone commenting, but I know McMillan disagrees with Ivan's point. In the chart on this page, he shows stamina benefits (tempo-type) at race paces faster than 2 hr 30 minute race pace. Chief's HM race pace falls in there.

I posted this a few weeks ago without anyone commenting, but I know McMillan disagrees with Ivan's point. In the chart on this page, he shows stamina benefits (tempo-type) at race paces faster than 2 hr 30 minute race pace. Chief's HM race pace falls in there.
don't remember seeing it but this is interesting. makes sense to put things in time-race perspective instead of purely distances. :thumbup:

If you think about it, you're always running at race pace. The only question is what race.

Interesting enough...my mind has not wandered to that during runs. Granted...my running isn't hitting the high mileage at this time...5-6 at a time at this point.

But thanks.

I think part of the good and bad of it is being 12 hours away. I don't see the day to day struggles he has and just hear about them. The downside of that is not seeing family as often as I would like.

He and my step mom were going to come down to surprise me on my birthday but decided with the weather issues going on around then (ice and snow even down here)...that was probably not the best thing with his health the way it is if they were to get stuck in anything.

They are now planning on it not long after the radiation is over and he gets a little strength back. And we are planning a long trip to Wisconsin this summer.
I hear you, as I went through this same thing this time last year after my dad suffered his brain injury. After driving him up to Portland I was back in the Bay Area 12 hours away. While I flew up every time there was a change in venue - from hospital to rehab facility, rehab to home - it was still tough not being there for the family on a day-to-day basis. Thoughts and prayers, gb.

My legs are bouncing back pretty nicely from that race effort over the weekend. Took Sunday off, walked a mile on Monday, ran/walked 3 miles on Tuesday, and by Wednesday morning the legs felt pretty good. Went out and did 6 miles with 734' of elevation yesterday, and then today knocked out 10 with 887' elevation in 1:38:19 and felt great. Without really pushing it at all and my HR staying in the 140s today, Strava tells me that I set best estimated 10 mile and 15K efforts. Of course that just tells you I don't ever do the long tempo runs I should be mixing in.

Oh, and it was 70 degrees and looked like this out there today.

SFBayDuck said:
My legs are bouncing back pretty nicely from that race effort over the weekend. Took Sunday off, walked a mile on Monday, ran/walked 3 miles on Tuesday, and by Wednesday morning the legs felt pretty good. Went out and did 6 miles with 734' of elevation yesterday, and then today knocked out 10 with 887' elevation in 1:38:19 and felt great. Without really pushing it at all and my HR staying in the 140s today, Strava tells me that I set best estimated 10 mile and 15K efforts. Of course that just tells you I don't ever do the long tempo runs I should be mixing in.

I wish I had somewhere like that to run. All the best trails here are covered with rocks and roots. Really looks like you can take in the scenery there.

Great run today. Your freaking killing it.

Have taken 7yo floppinho on 1.25m runs each of the last 3 weekends... kicking and screaming out the door, and then all fired up once he finished. very proud of the kid.

today he tells me that he wants to run both days this weekend, with the 2nd going farther.

I figured he'd be into timing it- so I pull out the old Polar... dead. Pull out the old Timex IM... dead. downloaded a timer app for my samsung galaxy... but the motion of running constantly turned it off. I have not time- but I need to get a new battery in the Timex (polar is a whole ordeal I really don't have time or engery to deal with).

secret plan is to get him to run a 5k with me this summer- early, if possible, so that he sees the buzz and excitement of running in a race (and gets a tshirt and maybe medal) and wants to do more.

I realized too that its the our younger one that has kept me from hitting the road in the morning on my own- the wife has wanted me around to help in the early hours in case she wakes up and needs a bottle or tending. she's 3 now... no tending or bottle needed, so I finally have those mornings back to get out running.

there is hope for fatty, fatty, fat-fat yet.

SFBayDuck said:

Bolinas? or Pt Reyes?

eta: a reminder here's a view of my first half mile with junior.

Besides this thread I do a lot of lurking on the runner's world forums under the marathon section, sub 3:00 thread. In the 2014 sub 3:00 thread there was a good discussion (I can't find it) on Pfitz tempo paces and how it calls out 15K to half marathon pace and how different people run them. I remember that one of the older really fast runners saying that he runs them at half marathon pace. He said that it was too much effort and wasn't worth the risk to run them faster.

I think I made a mistake this summer of running my tempos too fast and was essentially racing my tempo runs. At the time I justified my increasing HR on the temperature, but I think I was overestimating of my fitness level. I ended up not improving as much I'd like in the half (my tempos were more like slow VO2 max workouts) and aggravating my hip in the process.

Now when I run my tempos they are done by feel, and I ask myself if I think I could hold this pace for a half. After the run I look at the HR hoping to see that the HR didn't climb much during the tempo. I am not smart enough to know if there is a physiological reason to train at HM goal, I tend to listen to the older guys that have success and have been doing it for years.

Like Tri-man said "We each need to really develop our own approach." Steve in the old thread gave examples of runners achieving similar results with very different training methods.

Juxt- I did notice that the chart you posted is the same one from the You Only Faster book that I purchased after you recommended it.

SFBayDuck said:

I wish I had somewhere like that to run. All the best trails here are covered with rocks and roots. Really looks like you can take in the scenery there.

Thanks Dude. I've got plenty of rocky, rooty stuff around here, but I love going out to there for the amazing views and smooth, groomed trails. And yes, things are clicking pretty well for me lately. I need to get some more serious, focused vert in over the next two months to get ready for Quicksilver 100K, but my pure "running" is as good as it's been in a long time.

SFBayDuck said:
Bolinas? or Pt Reyes?

eta: a reminder here's a view of my first half mile with junior.
Bear Valley out to Arch Rocks in Pt. Reyes Seashore, in Olema. It's a 30 minute drive from my place but I've been out there three times in the past three weeks, just love it out there.

As for your pic, it looks like a really good place to do speed work at night....on account of all the running from scary things and people.

In all seriousness, very cool getting your little one out there with you. My 11 year old daughter plays three sports but still sees running as a punishment or necessary evil. That's the same way I treated running until my mid-30s, of course, so I can't blame her.

Duck - You're making me miss Charlottesville. Still not quite what you have, but better than here.

Northern Alabama should be decent, a few nice looking state parks will be enjoyable.

9 mile run this morning. 1 warm up, 1/2 faster, 6 under 7, 1.5 cool down. Felt pretty good overall.

This is my favorite play list prep day of the year. The day before the St. Patty's day race. Bodhran...The Devil's Dance Floor...Shipping Up To Boston...Auld Triangle...Irish Rover...Drunken Lullabies...now...if only my performance tomorrow would only match.

I had forgotten how much energy I have on a run day after a good run. Seems counter intuitive, like I should be beat, but I feel great. Legs are a bit tired for a few hours after, but in a good way. Took a few weeks to kick in but the last few run days I have felt great all day.

SFBayDuck said:

Thanks Dude. I've got plenty of rocky, rooty stuff around here, but I love going out to there for the amazing views and smooth, groomed trails. And yes, things are clicking pretty well for me lately. I need to get some more serious, focused vert in over the next two months to get ready for Quicksilver 100K, but my pure "running" is as good as it's been in a long time.
Plenty of vertical here but not much in the way of views with all the trees.

Good luck Juxt!

Taking today off. Didn't sleep too well last night, didn't get home from the hockey game until almost 11 (yeah, I'm old) and 4 yo woke up with diarhea at 530.

Good luck Juxt!

Taking today off. Didn't sleep too well last night, didn't get home from the hockey game until almost 11 (yeah, I'm old) and 4 yo woke up with diarhea at 530.
Ugh. Those kid wake up calls are brutal.

Had a 5 mile pace run this morning. Was not looking forward to it at all. Somehow made it through. Actually looking forward to a nice long slow run tomorrow.

St. Paddy’s Day 5K Race Report

As you may recall, I decided to focus on 5Ks this spring. PR is 18:41 set back in June 2013. That’s the only time I’ve run under 19:00 and I had failed at 3 attempts since that PR. Training started out great this winter although so much was on the treadmill that I wasn’t sure how that would relate to outside running. Then, over the last few weeks, things went much poorer. Nagging injuries quickly started mounting requiring some time off and I caught the flu. By today, just a runny nose and occasional cough remain and the injuries were fading so I felt I could give 100% effort. PR pace of 18:41 works out to 6:01 per mile, so the plan for this race was to try to keep it under 6:00 pace (thus, my half mile splits under 3:00).

Weather was good. Overcast and mid 40s. There was reasonably stiff wind coming mainly from the north, though. On the bright side, the course has us getting the brunt of the wind in mile 1 and then at our backs in mile 2. If you have deal with the wind, that’s probably the best setup one can hope for.

Pre-race stuff went fine. I slept well and was able to dump maybe 3 pounds first thing in the morning. I warmed up with two separate jogs of about ½ mile each. My heel hurt during the first jog but was loosen up and OK by the second. Injury-wise, I felt good to go.

Half mile split 1: 2:54 Average HR 144

A little Sanding action here although not on purpose. I felt fine but, of course, I should at this point.

Split 2: 3:00 HR 157

This was a hard split and I struggled keeping pace. As I mentioned above, the wind was in my face at this part and it was mostly on an upgrade. Probably only 1% or 2% on average but that makes a difference!

Split 3: 2:58 HR 161

We make a U-turn and now the wind is at our backs and it’s mainly on a downgrade. I’m following 2 guys and fortunately they are keeping pace. If they slowed I don’t know if I would have passed them. I’m kind of in zombie mode already not really thinking about anything except how my body feels and picking points on the horizon that I can’t wait to get to. Before the U-turn I would usually start counting runners to see what place I’m in but this doesn’t occur to me.

Split 4: 2:58 HR 165

Before the race, I had planned to use my heart rate as a helper. For whatever reason, it’s been very low this cycle and I figured I could look at it, think about how low it is and use that to give me some confidence. During my 5K PR, it reached a little over 180. I totally forgot to check my heart rate until this point. It dawns on me to check, and it’s 166. I think about this fact for a few seconds and realize it doesn’t help me at all. This is still really hard! I don’t check my heart rate again.

Split 5: 2:59, HR 166

The 2 guys pull away a little and I’m running by myself. When I look at my watch, I’m surprised I’m at pace still. I really don’t know if I can keep this up.

Split 6: 3:02, HR 170

My quads are fatigued which makes things even tougher. It’s interesting that I only feel fatigued quads when running at around this pace. I can run marathons and half marathons and don’t feel this same fatigue. I know I’m losing some time and just hope it’s not too many seconds.

Last .11 on Garmin, :38 (5:43 pace), HR 171

I see the clock counting up to 18:30 and try to muster everything left to make it under.

Final time, 18:28. 13th out of 2,121. 1st out of 124 in my age group. There is no Masters category but if there were, I would have won it.

Great race Juxt, congrats on the PR. Looks like everything went exactly to plan, impressive pacing.

Users who are viewing this thread