What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

FWIW, this is where it was born.  It feels like it's been around longer, but this is A+ quality from this thread. 
:lmao:

I knew it was relatively recently. I didn't remember that it was him replying to me asking for advice on how to run the Fort Ben HM. @ChiefD is a smart fellow, and a top notch advice giver - I ran about a 4 and a half minute PR for that race.

:hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun note for @gruecd and @SteelCurtain for while you are running... At about the 8 mile mark +/-, you will run under this bridge and then right about the 9 mile mark +/-, you will cross the Monon trail again, just after passing the state fair grounds. That is the trail that I ran many of my long runs on. Actually, the 3 mile mark is on Massachusetts Ave. At the end of Mass Ave there is a parking lot we will run by - it's odd angled street that will turn left at the end. That parking lot is where I would always park and then head north to pick up the trail off of 10th street. 

Grue, juxt and chief have all run on the Monon - a pretty good chunk of the Carmel race ran along the way north end of the trail, especially on the back half of the race. 

I remember. There was a god-dang roundabout in the middle of that trail. No lie.
I actually didn't really look that close at where all you guys went for the back half. For my 20 milers, I actually made it all the way up to where you guys ran - basically from the South end of the Monon (10th Street in Indy) to I-465 is right about 10 miles +/-. I have run from downtown, up to and through the same tunnel you guys did, and then back downtown. 

3 days!

Weather report is trending better on wunderground. 29* at 8 am, warming into the mid to upper 30s by 11 or so, winds about 10 mph +/- throughout the race. "Feels like" temp of 21* at the start is still a little cold and those winds will likely be chilly but still better than air temps of 20 as the forecast had a couple days ago.

3 days!

Weather report is trending better on wunderground. 29* at 8 am, warming into the mid to upper 30s by 11 or so, winds about 10 mph +/- throughout the race. "Feels like" temp of 21* at the start is still a little cold and those winds will likely be chilly but still better than air temps of 20 as the forecast had a couple days ago.
I'm sure you plan to do this already, but you might want to bring a fleece or jacket you can wear in the corral and then discard.  Most races gather-up these items and donate to charity.  I did this with a fleece in Houston (33F at start).

I'm sure you plan to do this already, but you might want to bring a fleece or jacket you can wear in the corral and then discard.  Most races gather-up these items and donate to charity.  I did this with a fleece in Houston (33F at start).
:thumbup:

Yeah, the stuff here often ends up in a couple of homeless shelters/clinics. My wife works at one that receives a bunch of stuff after races. Also helps that the parking spot I reserved is pretty close to the start/finish.

Non-running update.   :kicksrock:

Glute still hurts, even when I'm sleeping.

Vegas HM is 10 days from now, and in the last week+ I have run a grand total of 25K and hiked 8K.  Today is my 6th consecutive day of not running (with one hike in the mix).

No idea what goals to set for the HM now.  Staring at the "Detraining" status on the Garmin app is so deflating.

I'll be living vicariously through @The Iguana, @gruecd, and @SteelCurtain this weekend.  Might try to run an easy 10K myself, or go for a hike.  If my glute isn't going to get better with rest, I might as well get out and run!

On the good news front, I got my ECG results back (finally) and my heart is as normal as normal gets.  Don't even have athlete's heart (should I be disappointed?).

My 3 cents...I recall you did sports massage but did you get more of an opinion on this?  I’d guess you have some inbalances (we all do) that are flaring that spot. Without assessing the posterior chain and working to correct, you are just going to be chasing/masking the pain.  Your hiking habit, while to you seems easy, I think heaps more stress on than easy days or strength training so your recovery might be lacking a bit more than it seems, too.  Getting it calmed down to race in a couple weeks may not be the best idea given your 2020 plan. 

Good luck Z. 

Vegas HM is 10 days from now, and in the last week+ I have run a grand total of 25K and hiked 8K.  Today is my 6th consecutive day of not running (with one hike in the mix).

No idea what goals to set for the HM now.  Staring at the "Detraining" status on the Garmin app is so deflating.

I'll be living vicariously through @The Iguana, @gruecd, and @SteelCurtain this weekend.  Might try to run an easy 10K myself, or go for a hike.  If my glute isn't going to get better with rest, I might as well get out and run!

On the good news front, I got my ECG results back (finally) and my heart is as normal as normal gets.  Don't even have athlete's heart (should I be disappointed?).
Great news on the heart!!

Boo on your glute. Hope you figure that thing out. 

I don’t have any advice, but I can relate. I reached that point where I decided it wasn’t going to get better with rest, so I might as well run. Going on a little over 2 years running with the issue. Usually only bothers me on longer or faster runs. It does bother me from time to time when I’m not running but it’s more of a shocking/tingling feeling that takes over my entire leg. My glute does hurt if I sit for too long. Hope it gets better for you!

Just had a nice, encouraging run. 

For those that haven't noticed, I've been doing more longer runs than I ever did before.  I've been trying to get at least 1-2 runs/week of 8 miles and I've tried to run a minimum of 5 miles when I go out.  My overall mileage hasn't been up there but it's nice to get out there and do 8 and feel like it's no big deal.  That didn't use to be the case.  Plus, it gets me to that 80 minute threshold that some of you here love.

That said, I haven't run a 10 mile run in a long time.  Last time was mid August.  So, with some free time, got dressed and got out there.  45 degrees and overcast, but dressed comfortably for it and now I've gotten used to it so it was perfect running weather.  Started raining about 4 miles in and it was kind of nice despite the temps.

First, my 2nd mile was ~9:30 pace with a HR of 138.  Pretty sure that's a first.  In general, I've been now running in the low 10's with HR < 140 which is definitely an improvement from when I first started.

More importantly, when I hit mile 5, I kept slowly pushing the pace.  Was able to run miles 5-9 with a HR in the 150's the whole time despite some decent elevation.  In particular, I ran mile 9 at an 8:04 pace and a HR of 159.  Felt very comfortable despite the extra effort.  Pushed the last mile for sub 8.  My HR got up to 170, but it was nice to have that left pretty easily that far into a run.  Again, that's a first.  Finished up and felt great without feeling any fatigue.  I'll see how the legs feel tomorrow but I have no doubt that my aerobic base is improved and is leading to being able to get faster as my runs go.  None of that felt like a race day effort.  I would say that mile 9 felt like something I could hold at least for a while although I don't know for how long.

It does bother me from time to time when I’m not running but it’s more of a shocking/tingling feeling that takes over my entire leg. My glute does hurt if I sit for too long.
On a longer run, the pain starts in the glute but then starts to run down my whole leg.  Less of a shocking/tingling feeling.  Could be other muscles compensating.  I keep trying to remember to do piriformis stretches (just in case that's the issue) but I'm not as vigilant as I should be.

Sitting too long also causes issues.

The frustrating part is that just 3-4 weeks ago I had a kick-### (with no ### pain) training run where I got 21K in with almost no glue pain.  The week before I had pain, and the week after it was back.  Wish I could nail-down what made that middle week magical.

Thinking about going beyond the sports massage and checking with a sports PT.  The massage therapist thinks its more glute than piriformis, but perhaps a more experienced opinion is in order.

I'm still going to run my HM as hard as my butt will let me.  Will load-up on the naproxen (gut issues be damned).  I'm just trying to decide what the best approach is between now and then.  Zero running?  An ER or two?  A hike (@bushdocda is right that a hike is probably not really easy)? 

I'd do the zero-running approach, and this sounds crazy, but I feel like I'm going to forget how to run between now and then, and will need the first few KMs of the HM just to find my rhythm again.

The Houston marathon in January is now optional/off if I can't figure this out.  After this HM, priority is Miwok in May. 

Also ordered another pair of new shoes.  Some Nike Zoom Flyknits went on clearance for CAD100 so I will give them a whirl.  Poor man's Vaporfly.

'm just trying to decide what the best approach is between now and then.  Zero running?  An ER or two?  A hike (@bushdocda is right that a hike is probably not really easy)? 

I'd do the zero-running approach, and this sounds crazy, but I feel like I'm going to forget how to run between now and then, and will need the first few KMs of the HM just to find my rhythm again.
Any access to/opportunity for biking?  That'd help keep the hips and butt loose.

Anyone wanting to try or reload Maurten fuel, today sale at thefeed.com using MAURTENFLASH15 code.  Have used.  Like them.  Will use again but we’re not exclusive.  Probably will use Maurten gels and Roctane on raceday.   

bushdocda said:
Anyone wanting to try or reload Maurten fuel, today sale at thefeed.com using MAURTENFLASH15 code.  Have used.  Like them.  Will use again but we’re not exclusive.  Probably will use Maurten gels and Roctane on raceday.   
Just tried and didn't work.  Might have expired. 

I texted with a buddy who ran Indianapolis last year and PRed with a 2:38 marathon. (Fast mofo).   Here was what he said......

"Hey!! First off, you made an excellent choice. It's a marvelous course for running fast and logistics are easy as can be. I'd suggest a visor or sunglasses (or eye-black), because there isn't a ton of coverage from the sun and I was squinting in the sun for the last 10K after you take a left turn on mile 20. The course is straight-forward, with few turns, but make sure you don't get out too slow because it does bottleneck at the start. Also important to get out at an honest pace because if you're backed up, it'll be tougher to run the tangents. The first four miles have turns, but I remember very few between 4 and 11. Once you pass halfway, you'll take a left and be on a road that feels like a highway, so that was rather unsettling for me -- especially because I was completely by myself. The only notable hills begin at around 16 and last until 30K. Once you enter a little park, you're about to descend a massive hill for about 1200 meters. I used that to carry me through the rest of the way, because mile 19-finish is a complete pancake. it's surprised me just how flat it was. I was happy with how I paced myself last year with a 76-second negative split. My suggestion would be to get out honest for the first four miles and then settle in a few seconds under goal pace until 10, get back up to the honest pace from 10-16, survive the hills and attack the last 7 miles with everything you have. They will be fast and you want to be fresh to tick off as much time as you can. Temps were cold for me last year, too, but not that cold. I had low 30s. Adrenaline made it a non-factor, as did the copious sun. All I had were arm sleeves, a headband for my ears and gloves. The start area is so convenient that you can warm up in full garb no problem."

gianmarco said:
And then @MAC_32 says "I'll see your 10 mile run and raise you about 3 min/mile".

You're an animal.

I fold.
I'm not sure if I should have done that or not, but winter is making an early appearance so if I over did it I have opportunities to cut back coming up. Just hoping I can get something out of this weekend and find at least one day next week to do one last quality workout. 

I'm not sure if I should have done that or not, but winter is making an early appearance so if I over did it I have opportunities to cut back coming up. Just hoping I can get something out of this weekend and find at least one day next week to do one last quality workout. 
Yeah, I considered doing the same workout as you but figured I had a little more time through winter. I wanted to be smart about it.

I definitely run nowhere near the weekly miles as you guys, but I did more last week than I ever had previously (only like 5 more miles, but that's a 20-25% increase)...and now my left IT band is mad at me.  I haven't had any left leg problems since my first run when I picked up running and hurt my calf.

No real point to this other than writing it down to get it out and remind myself that I'm an idiot.

(Thankfully it's raining today so I'm forced to take another day off).

I definitely run nowhere near the weekly miles as you guys, but I did more last week than I ever had previously (only like 5 more miles, but that's a 20-25% increase)...and now my left IT band is mad at me.  I haven't had any left leg problems since my first run when I picked up running and hurt my calf.

No real point to this other than writing it down to get it out and remind myself that I'm an idiot.

I think your post is a good reminder to me about two things:

1. You can’t compare yourself to others in here or try and replicate what they are doing - especially dangerous for someone like me who is still learning and doesn’t have a YoY base

2. Be smart about adding miles and speed 

Stretch more/ better. That's huge, imo. You aren't as young as you once were. 

<-- old guy experience 

Gained new perspective this morning. Was about 4 or 5 miles into goalish pace run and it was brightening. So I  turned my headlamp off and went to flip my hat backwards and managed to cartoon style snap my effing headlamp into my eye bone. Not exactly Stallone in ‘Over the Top’. Anyway, good run and a black eye. And any run from now on that doesn’t include a shot to the face will be relatively better. The end. 

Zasada said:
On a longer run, the pain starts in the glute but then starts to run down my whole leg.  Less of a shocking/tingling feeling.  Could be other muscles compensating.  I keep trying to remember to do piriformis stretches (just in case that's the issue) but I'm not as vigilant as I should be.

Sitting too long also causes issues.

The frustrating part is that just 3-4 weeks ago I had a kick-### (with no ### pain) training run where I got 21K in with almost no glue pain.  The week before I had pain, and the week after it was back.  Wish I could nail-down what made that middle week magical.

Thinking about going beyond the sports massage and checking with a sports PT.  The massage therapist thinks its more glute than piriformis, but perhaps a more experienced opinion is in order.

I'm still going to run my HM as hard as my butt will let me.  Will load-up on the naproxen (gut issues be damned).  I'm just trying to decide what the best approach is between now and then.  Zero running?  An ER or two?  A hike (@bushdocda is right that a hike is probably not really easy)? 

The Houston marathon in January is now optional/off if I can't figure this out.  After this HM, priority is Miwok in May. 

Also ordered another pair of new shoes.  Some Nike Zoom Flyknits went on clearance for CAD100 so I will give them a whirl.  Poor man's Vaporfly.
https://www.amazon.com/BODYMATE-Compression-Hamstring-Quadriceps-Arthritis/dp/B01M5FVD4U/ref=pd_ybh_a_96?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3BJCS753E1ZNVN5EWK0M

Thank me after you PR.

:lmao:   You have to order in centimeters or something?

I don't understand how it works.  All i know is that without it I have severe lower left back, glute, and some hip pain.  Glute almost feels like a nerve going numb.  Don't have the hammy issue so much, but the left leg occasionally goes numb.   Survived 80 miles twice using it when I couldn't go 5 without it.  PT, shots, Chiro all failed before I tried this.

When i bought it I figured it would be snake oil.

Users who are viewing this thread