What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Will catch up on all this in a bit but first this... I didn't click save on my watch at the end and may have lost the run. If it's not on strava, it doesn't count.

:kicksrock:

quick Google search says I might be able to recover it.  Might cry if I can't...
Start with the weekend support team, and if you're feeling good, move up to the weekday team.

Such a cool day. Damn happy to be a part of it.

Wow....unreal.

I literally have a mini-boner thinking about it.

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

A goal – Break my PR (3:15)

B goal – Get a 5 minute buffer for Boston.  My BQ time is 3:25, so I wanted at least sub 3:20.

I came into this race with a training program that felt incomplete from missed runs.  A hip that was flaring up with pain from time to time.  A two week stretch at work which was really really busy and exhausting. 

I decided to come up with my race plan in 5 sections.

1.        First five miles would be slower and run with the 3:20 pacer

2.       Miles 6 through 14 I would pick up pace and catch the 3:15 pacer.

3.       Miles 14 through 16 I would run with the 3:15 pacer

4.       Miles 16 - 20 - I’d pick up the pace and run a bit faster than the 3:15 pacer

5.       Miles 20 - 26.2 - I would hold on for dear life and run as fast as I possibly could hoping to run faster than my PR (3:15:00)

The logistics were incredibly easy. Race started at 8 a.m. and my hotel was 3 blocks from the start.  So I was able to leave my hotel 30 minutes before the race and still have plenty of time. Knowing what I know, I could have waited a bit longer and stayed at my hotel an extra 10 minutes.

I arrived in the wave 1 corral and searched out the 3:15 and 3:20 pacers.  The 3:15 guy was a bit abrasive in his personality when I asked him questions about his strategy regarding water stops, etc.  The 3:20 pacer was doing his first pacing gig.  He was about 23 years old and was clearly winging it. 

With the temperature around 28 degrees and a breeze, it was quite cold and I was layered up with sweatpants over my shorts and five layers on my top along with hat and gloves.  I got rid of the sweatpants and 2 of my layers up top prior to the race. (I later got rid of the other layers and was left with shorts, singlet, arm warmers, hat and gloves.)

Mile 1 – 8:02

Very crowded start, which is standard for a race that has 15,000+ starting (both half marathon and full marathon start together).  Started next to the 3:20 pacer but a half mile into the race, the 3:20 pacer was even with the 3:15 pacer!  I was shooting for a 7:45 first mile, but congestion caused me to run this a bit slower than planned.

Mile 2 – 7:28

Finally got some space and the 3:20 pacer was running slow now, so I separated from him and wanted to get back to my goal pace for this mile (which was 7:35) and make up a bit from mile 1.

Mile 3 -- 7:24

Mile 4 – 7:16 (ate a banana)

Mile 5 – 7:27

These miles were a bit faster than I probably should have, but the 3:15 pacer was flying and out of sight.  Me running a bit faster just felt right.  I started to worry that my second half goals were a bit too aggressive so I was okay with gaining a few seconds here early.

Mile 6 – 7:14

Mile 7 – 7:11

Mile 8 – 7:11 (had a Maurten gel)

Mile 9 – 7:09

Mile 10 – 7:12

This was the stretch where I took off to go chase down the 3:15 pacer.  I caught him at mile 10.  Admittedly, I went hard but the weather was cool and there was a tailwind on the first half of the race.  Knowing it would be a headwind the second half, I decided it would be okay to bank a few seconds here and there.  When I caught the 3:15 pacer, my math was telling me he was running fast.

Mile 11 – 7:20

Mile 12 – 7:20 (had 3 shot blocks)

Mile 13 – 7:19

I ran with the 3:15 pacer through this section.  We passed through the first half at 1:36:23. Knowing this was about a minute fast, I was comfortable sticking with him a bit longer before I tried to depart from him.

Mile 14 – 7:20

Mile 15 – 7:23

Mile 16 – 7:31

I stuck with the 3:15 pace group and the miles were ticking off pretty easily.  Mile 16 provided the biggest hill of the course, so the time was a bit slower and I was okay with that.  After we climbed the hill, I decided to make my move and get ahead of the group. As I moved ahead of the group, I realized the headwind was stronger than I anticipated.  (While with the group, I was buffered from the full force of the headwind.)  After about ½ mile of fighting the headwind on my own, I rethought my plan.  I was already ahead of pace and I didn’t want to burn out fighting the wind for 10 miles.  I tucked back in with the group for another couple miles.

Mile 17 – 7:20

Mile 18 – 7:23 (ate a banana)

Mile 19 – 7:20

I ran with the group through miles 17 and 18 and at mile 19, I picked up the pace (at least I thought I did) as this was a downhill. Regardless, I was now in front of the 3:15 group.  My goal was to stay in front of them.

Mile 20 – 7:23

Mile 21 – 7:25 (ate one shotblock)

Mile 22 – 7:23

This stretch was tough.  The wind was picking up and I struggled to find someone running my pace.  There was a larger 6’4” guy who was running about my pace but he was always about 10 seconds in front of me.  I needed a buffer from the wind.  I was passing a lot of runners and I found I would sometimes pass several runners and then tuck in behind a slower runner for 10-15 seconds to get a break from the headwind and then pop back out and go catch the next person.  I had done this for several miles.

Mile 23 – 7:24

At this point, I knew me breaking 3:20 was assured unless something catastrophic happened. I kept looking at my 3:13 pace band and saw I was lagging by 5 or so seconds.  I wanted to make a move but I didn’t want to go too early and burn out at the end. 

Mile 24 – 7:20

The next 2 miles are on an exposed road.  Half marathoners on the left, full marathoners on the right. Most of the half marathoners are walking and there I am breathing heavy with probably not the best running form. 

Mile 25 – 7:17

I was in pain at this point.  But I was holding on.  I calculated my PR (3:15) would be broken unless I did something really stupid.  I kept pushing and was passing tons of people.  I only think one person passed me in the last 5K.  I probably passed a couple hundred people maybe in the last few miles.

Mile 26 – 7:02

Now I wanted to break 3:13.  I knew I was behind that pace when I finished with mile 25.  It was time to either put up or shut up.  I started to push the pace.  Trying to walk that fine line of red lining my body and keeping it together.  This section was a blur.  I remember looking down at my watch and seeing 25.6 and thinking “Wow, that was fast.”  With just over a half a mile left in the race, I emptied the tank.  There are several turns in the last half mile as it winds through the city streets.  I almost turned an ankle on one of the turns.  Crisis averted!

Last 0.25 – 6:33 pace

I don’t remember much other than I wanted 3:12:xx so bad.  I remember seeing a race photographer and usually I try to smile or make eye contact or give a thumbs up but I was zeroed in on that finish line.  I’m sprinting to the finish.  Not knowing if I was going to break 3:13 and not wanting to peek at my watch knowing it would break my stride ever so slightly I focused solely on getting across that finish line.

I crossed the line and stopped my watch. 

YES!  3:12:43!  Over a 2 minute PR. 7:20 overall pace. I was ecstatic. I ran almost identical splits 1:36:23 for the first half and 1:36:20 for the second half.  Thrilled as the second half had hills and headwind. 

Any PR is special and this one is no different.  The cold weather allowed me to push my body and not worry as much about overheating. The slow start allowed me to warm up and also conserve some energy for the second half. I FINALLY felt like I fueled properly (both in the days leading up to the race as well as during the race.)

This race also gained me entry into the 125th Boston Marathon in April 2021.  My time is 12+ min faster than I need so I’m assured of a spot in the race. 

What’s next?  I’m likely taking a full year off from racing.  My body needs a break and just as importantly, my mind needs a break.  I’ll possibly run a couple marathons for the pacing company I work for but my training will not be as intense. I will let my body heal the aches and pains it has from this training cycle.  Boston 2020 will likely be a fun run for me.

I’m incredibly fortunate to have friends and family who support my addiction to this sport and the goal of constantly improving myself.  I’m thankful beyond words.   

Overall 624/4700 (top 13.2%)

Male 503/2844 (top 17.6%)

Division 52/392 (top 13.2%)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing @SteelCurtain!

That last 1.2 was epic. And it’s so interesting to get inside the mind of an experienced marathoner and hearing how you made all the right tactical decisions that you did - when to stick with the plan and when to deviate. Congrats!

SteelCurtain said:
Forgot to mention that at mile 6, there was a couple guys with a huge "DBAP" sign.  It had to be 7 feet by 5 feet.  For a hot second, I wondered if a couple of you maniacs came out to the race. 
Without the "RF;" ?

No chance it was us.

SteelCurtain said:
Forgot to mention that at mile 6, there was a couple guys with a huge "DBAP" sign.  It had to be 7 feet by 5 feet.  For a hot second, I wondered if a couple of you maniacs came out to the race. 
When I saw the sign I yelled out "D.B.A.P.", they yelled back "D-bap" with something else after it. I like d-bap. Then I had to explain to the mixed company in the place group around me what dbap means.

Anyone have a copy of Higdon’s marathon program that they could send me pics of? I had the book but let someone borrow it. Starting the program tomorrow and was curious if anyone had it. I have Hanson’s, but I prefer to stick with Higdon.

When I saw the sign I yelled out "D.B.A.P.", they yelled back "D-bap" with something else after it. I like d-bap. Then I had to explain to the mixed company in the place group around me what dbap means.
Any luck recovering the run?

How do you feel?

How do you not have a race report yet?

Anyone have a copy of Higdon’s marathon program that they could send me pics of? I had the book but let someone borrow it. Starting the program tomorrow and was curious if anyone had it. I have Hanson’s, but I prefer to stick with Higdon.
What are you racing?

@SteelCurtain - awesome report and race execution. 

Loved your thought process and adjustments throughout the race. A great lesson in things don’t always go to plan, so you have to adjust.

Must have been awkward though carrying those bananas in your pockets all race.  :oldunsure:

@SteelCurtain awesome run and awesome report.  Glad the weather (minus the wind) didnt cause troubles.  You can tell you were a technician when coming up with your plan but showed great flexibility in adapting to the pacers, the wind and the race.

The_Man said:
Amazing @SteelCurtain!

That last 1.2 was epic. And it’s so interesting to get inside the mind of an experienced marathoner and hearing how you made all the right tactical decisions that you did - when to stick with the plan and when to deviate. Congrats!
Yes, this states my thoughts as well.   Congrats, @SteelCurtain!!!  Looks like Boston'21 is shaping up as a thing for Team FBG/BMF.  I, too, will lay relatively low over the year as I mainly work on my stride length before training for Boston.

How did your distance measure for this marathon?  It was a big field, which makes it harder to run tangents (even the little movements of sliding to the roadside for aid stations).  Was your watch clicking true miles or course miles (the @gruecd manual clicks)?

@SteelCurtain - awesome report and race execution. 

Loved your thought process and adjustments throughout the race. A great lesson in things don’t always go to plan, so you have to adjust.

Must have been awkward though carrying those bananas in your pockets all race.  :oldunsure:
Ha!  I carried a banana (in my hand) from the start to Mile 4.  I also knew they were giving out bananas at mile 17.9 so it was part of my fueling strategy. 

Yes, this states my thoughts as well.   Congrats, @SteelCurtain!!!  Looks like Boston'21 is shaping up as a thing for Team FBG/BMF.  I, too, will lay relatively low over the year as I mainly work on my stride length before training for Boston.

How did your distance measure for this marathon?  It was a big field, which makes it harder to run tangents (even the little movements of sliding to the roadside for aid stations).  Was your watch clicking true miles or course miles (the @gruecd manual clicks)?
I clicked true miles.  I’m not adept enough with technology to make those changes that Grue does.  I’d screw up the watch.  Plus I would miss a couple mile markers.

I ran tangents.  This course had several turns and i memorized the first 10 turns so I knew what was coming and what side of the road I needed to be on. This enabled me to move amongst the masses to run tangents.

I ended up running 26.24 miles.  

Nice.  Still weird that the #2 and #3 males at the MCM both ran 26.4x when obviously they were in the clear and could run the right lines.  
🤷‍♂️

there were a couple points where you could cut a corner on a sidewalk but I always remained on the roadway.

there was a section at mile 2ish that we were underneath a road/building (similar to the beginning of Chicago marathon but not as long).  Maybe it made GPS signals wonky for some?

Any luck recovering the run?

How do you feel?

How do you not have a race report yet?
1. Not yet. I have spent pretty much all afternoon and evening trying to get it. Last hope is someone at work tomorrow might be able to help figure it out. The tools linked to before need the watch to be mounted as a drive but mine only shows as a "portable device". I've tried a couple things that say they work on that but I'm not smart enough to figure it out, nor can I find any solid documentation to tell me how to do it. 

Really, really is bumming me out. 

2. I feel far better than I thought I would. Definitely sore - more sore than I should be since I apparently didn't run it  but not nearly as sore as I expected to be. More in the race report.

3. Seriously bummed at not having the run to look at while writing it. I've pretty much written it in my head and will be doing it shortly after posting this. But you can't imagine how ticked I am over not having the run to look at. 

No GPS file = no marathon = no recovery and no race report 

:shrug:
:cry:   :cry:

@gruecd 

Was the 10k mat long or did you really run a 3:02 pace followed by a 2:55 pace to the halfway point?
It was definitely long - we had a great pace guy who was pretty much right on all day and I'm positive we were at the mat at the prescribed time. 

Next up, my report...

Too tired right now to write a race report (slept like #### the last two nights), but I did want to pop in and thank you guys for all the support. I thought of you often while I was out there running.

Short version - obviously happy with the PR, but I still think I can go faster. I don’t know if it was the wind or if I just overestimated my fitness or what, but I’m not thrilled with my second-half split.

Users who are viewing this thread