What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Nothing had prepared me for this week or so of learning you run  holding a phone.

Then you double down with wires and triple down with an effing dumdum. And still look like you can’t wait to destroy those kids at the start line.

I am in awe sir. 
He also kept the dumdum on the same side of his mouth.  After a few minutes, that side of my mouth would go numb. 

I still can't get over racing with a ####### lollipop.  If I was at a race and saw that, I'd hand you the medal and just go home.

:lol:

Now you'll really flip. I ran with the glove for about 16 minutes, it's just off to start-and-stop the run. And yes it's real awkward (and difficult) trying to put the glove on and take it off with the same hand.
Did you take off the glove from the other hand and just transfer it over?  I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

He also kept the dumdum on the same side of his mouth.  After a few minutes, that side of my mouth would go numb. 

I still can't get over racing with a ####### lollipop.  If I was at a race and saw that, I'd hand you the medal and just go home.
In fairness, his race was over in just a few minutes.

:lol:

Now you'll really flip. I ran with the glove for about 16 minutes, it's just off to start-and-stop the run. And yes it's real awkward (and difficult) trying to put the glove on and take it off with the same hand.
The dum dum is classic, not sure I've ever seen that, kudos :thumbup:

Trying to help a brother out, have you heard about these? Or possibly one of these? For future races

So wish you hadn't of posted these and had shown up at 5k race with Juxt.

Excerpt from the race report...

I head up to the start line to check out the competitors.  A couple of young kids and some half naked LB from the Browns wearing one glove, munching a dum-dum, and carrying a phone with wired headphones at the front getting ready to block traffic.  He takes off like it's the 40 yard dash at the combine....

@MAC_32 what do you think of the On shoes?  I have a pair of Cloudflyers and mostly liked them.  Annoying that they would pick up gravel, but otherwise they felt quite light.

@MAC_32 what do you think of the On shoes?  I have a pair of Cloudflyers and mostly liked them.  Annoying that they would pick up gravel, but otherwise they felt quite light.
I've only worn them three times, but I'm in love. Firm grip while also somehow not even realizing they're there. I'm not sure if my technique can withstand anything lighter and I will try at some point, but if it doesn't work then these can become the staple. 

Uh...hey @MAC_32 ...great read and race (damn you are fast!)...but two super important questions:

1. Flavor of the dum dum?
  2. Did you ever get your hoodie back?
Third question - what's that now from 6:24-6:37?  

MAC_32 said:
Hot Cider Hustle 5K

6:23 hit keurig button, so coffee is cooled enough when I am done with...

6:24 eroticism

6:37 grab coffee, banana, and hard boiled egg then sit on the couch
I know I haven't been around here much lately, but now in addition to beet juice and an early morning run, we're supposed to "release some pressure" pre-race?  Is that like Ted before going out on his date with Mary?

Yep, general rule - one day of recovery for every mile raced. I've seen enough evidence to believe the post marathon fitness boost is real, but it'd be in the form of a Thanksgiving or first week of December sort of race. 
So that covers why I didn't do #### from mid-June through mid-September.  Noice!

Doesn't explain my lack of any real training since then  :bag:

I have all but given up hope on successfully recovering my run from the watch. Dejectedly just created a manual entry to add the miles to my total for the year. Still waiting to hear back from a friend hoping for a miracle but I think the data is gone. 

:kicksrock:

:sadbanana:
Found it. Here you go:

Mile 1: #BMF

Mile 2: #BMF. Better eat a chew.

Mile 3: #BMF. Water now.

Mile 4: #BMF

Mile 5: #BMF. This feels kinda easy. Screw those guys.

Mile 6: #BMF

Mile 7: #BMF

Mile 8: #BMF

Mile 9: #BMF. Hope I brought enough chews

Mile 10: #BMF

Mile 11: #BMF. I wonder if @SteelCurtain left some banana scraps around here somewhere.

Mile 12: #BMF

Mile 13: #BMF

Mile 14: #BMF

Mile 15: #BMF. I'm gonna beat @gruecd. I'm gonna beat that cocky sombeeeyotch!!!

Mile 16: #BMF

Mile 17: #BMF

Mile 18: #BMF

Mile 19: #BMF

Mile 20: #BMF

Mile 21: #BMF. Hmm...this might be harder than I thought.

Mile 22: #BMF.

Mile 23: #BMF. Fook it. I'm gonna bang this thing out. 

Mile 24: #BMF

Mile 25: #BMF

Mile 26.2: #BMF. I'm a marathoner and dropped a 3:45 on my first try. Booyah!!

I have all but given up hope on successfully recovering my run from the watch. Dejectedly just created a manual entry to add the miles to my total for the year. Still waiting to hear back from a friend hoping for a miracle but I think the data is gone. 

:kicksrock:

:sadbanana:
I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning...so, pretty much the same thing.

I'm still basking in the glow of my race and enjoying my recovery.  Thought about running this morning but it was snowing so I just stayed in bed.

As I start to think about next steps, I'll be running a turkey trot in Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving.  Whether I race it or just fun run it is TBD.

I've been asked to pace the Miami Marathon again in February, so I'll do that.

Boston is going to be a fun run.  I have also been asked to pace someone there, but I'm not sure I want that responsibility, so that's TBD.

I'll likely pace Pocono Marathon in May as well.

Next fall will likely consist of trying to race Chicago with possibly Indy as my backup if the weather isn't cooperative in Chi-town.

My next marathon, I'll likely try to go for 3:09:xx.  In order to do that, I need to be more consistent with my lifting, need to do more core work (planks, etc.), and run faster during training. 

It was cool having all the support of you guys over the weekend and fun to see @gruecd again and meet @The Iguana. Thanks again to all of you.

I'm still basking in the glow of my race and enjoying my recovery.  Thought about running this morning but it was snowing so I just stayed in bed.

As I start to think about next steps, I'll be running a turkey trot in Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving.  Whether I race it or just fun run it is TBD.

I've been asked to pace the Miami Marathon again in February, so I'll do that.

Boston is going to be a fun run.  I have also been asked to pace someone there, but I'm not sure I want that responsibility, so that's TBD.

I'll likely pace Pocono Marathon in May as well.

Next fall will likely consist of trying to race Chicago with possibly Indy as my backup if the weather isn't cooperative in Chi-town.

My next marathon, I'll likely try to go for 3:09:xx.  In order to do that, I need to be more consistent with my lifting, need to do more core work (planks, etc.), and run faster during training. 

It was cool having all the support of you guys over the weekend and fun to see @gruecd again and meet @The Iguana. Thanks again to all of you.
Nailed it - get to work on all of that once recovered in a couple weeks and you'll be that much stronger once you re-enter your next actual training cycle, leading to the faster training and expedited recovery. You will want to reach through whatever device you're reading this from and smack me for saying this, but I think you have quite a bit better than 3:09 and are going to amend your goals midstream. You just did a 3:12 amidst a rocky training cycle when you weren't 100%. Get 100% and ride a smoother training cycle and watch the times just melt away...

I need to fill mine in. 

Currently 21 degrees here with 21 mph winds from the north. And snow. My mini-boner is now tucked in for winter. 
Got the training calendar loaded for the spring half yesterday. Hoping to spend the next two weeks getting this core muscle figured out - then 4 weeks of base building before Hanson kicks me in the sack for 14 weeks.

Heading to the GI doc today for the next step in Stomach Saga 2019 - hoping the core stuff is not tied to my other issues. Probably be getting a colonoscopy and stomach scope soon hopefully. Good way to lose 5 pounds before I start training.  :headbang:

That'd be more of a:

BM ....F$(*$(@!!!
That's pretty much how it went.  I hesitated for half a second thinking if I actually wanted to stick my hand in to get it...but ultimately I did (forever unclean).  

From this experience, I am even more confused as how MAC can run races with a phone in his hand, I can't even unzip my pants without dropping the damn thing in the bowl  :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much how it went.  I hesitated for half a second thinking if I actually wanted to stick my hand in to get it...but ultimately I did (forever unclean).  

From this experience, I am even more confused as how MAC can run races with a phone in his hand, I can't even unzip my pants without dropping the damn thing in the bowl  :kicksrock:
For the record, I'd happily have my phone be buried in a mountain of #### and then dig it out by my bare hands if it meant I could recover my marathon info off my watch and upload it to strava. 

Just read about Sti Chimnoys annual 3,100m race (must finish in 52 days... 59.6m/day) in Queens, nyc. And it's run on an open 1/2 m block course, that they alternate the direction of every day. Can't believe I'd never heard of this.

Slackers.

Just read about Sti Chimnoys annual 3,100m race (must finish in 52 days... 59.6m/day) in Queens, nyc. And it's run on an open 1/2 m block course, that they alternate the direction of every day. Can't believe I'd never heard of this.

Slackers.

Aka Sri Chimnoy self-transcendence 3100 mile race
There's a discussion on this some pages back with links to the event... 

For the record, I'd happily have my phone be buried in a mountain of #### and then dig it out by my bare hands if it meant I could recover my marathon info off my watch and upload it to strava. 
It was a few years ago when I started to run with heart rate in mind. I had recorded data all spring on Map My Run. This was back before I had my running watch. So I was using the chest strap in conjunction with Map My Run.

So the day of my spring half marathon, I am at my car getting ready and the damn phone wouldn't sync with the chest strap. I probably sat there for 20 minutes to get the thing to work. Alas, it never did.

So I never had the heart rate data for that first race. I was so excited to share all the data here with everyone, but it wasn't meant to be. Nothing I could do about it but sign up for another race and move on.

So I know it sucks serious sack. Just run another marathon in the next week or so and you'll have some data. 

Stupid cold front/storm came into town yesterday.  Down to 10 degrees this morning (-5 wind chill) and it's early November.  So dumb.  But, when it started snowing yesterday and was still in the upper 20's, I looked outside and said "yep, good time to go run".  So there's that.  I got a massive 3 miles in, but at least I got out there. 

Going to Tampa for the weekend to visit family and will try and get out a couple times.  Weather looks to be good in the low 70's down to 50's. 

Stupid cold front/storm came into town yesterday.  Down to 10 degrees this morning (-5 wind chill) and it's early November.  So dumb.  But, when it started snowing yesterday and was still in the upper 20's, I looked outside and said "yep, good time to go run".  So there's that.  I got a massive 3 miles in, but at least I got out there. 

Going to Tampa for the weekend to visit family and will try and get out a couple times.  Weather looks to be good in the low 70's down to 50's. 
7F here today.  Sweet nostalgia to hear the ice crunch under your footsteps.   As well documented, I have a small repertoire of loops I do.  The list gets even smaller when sidewalks are icy or snowed over. 

My link

Last edited by a moderator:
I just Graston'd the side of my foot (on the inside below the ankle bone) using the handle of a teaspoon.  It was hurting this morning on my run, took a couple of miles to loosen up, so I wanted to de-crunchy it.  

It hurt.  A lot.

Carry on.

I know I still owe you guys a race report, but other than my quads still being a little sore, I'm recovering well and will likely run a few miles tomorrow.  I've allowed myself to indulge way more than usual the last few days, and I feel like a fat, out-of-shape POS. 

Still undecided about racing the upcoming 15K, but either way, I'm eyeing a local half marathon on December 1.  Assuming not-too-cold weather and dry/clean streets, I'll likely be making a PR attempt.

@SFBayDuck if a hypothetical runner wanted a cold-weather 100K with a not-ridiculous amount of vert that would qualify him for the WS100 lottery, does such a thing even exist?  Asking for a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread