What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

@SFBayDuck if a hypothetical runner wanted a cold-weather 100K with a not-ridiculous amount of vert that would qualify him for the WS100 lottery, does such a thing even exist?  Asking for a friend.
If this friend was on this message board, would his nickname rhyme with gruecd?

That's pretty much how it went.  I hesitated for half a second thinking if I actually wanted to stick my hand in to get it...but ultimately I did (forever unclean).  

From this experience, I am even more confused as how MAC can run races with a phone in his hand, I can't even unzip my pants without dropping the damn thing in the bowl  :kicksrock:
The phone in hand I get, I've been doing that a while.  I don't get the wired headphones and the dum-dum.  The wire would annoy the #### out of me and I'd choke to death on the dum-dum.

Any chance Strava could do a custom manual activity for you?
Not sure what you mean. I was able to create my own manual activity just to log the time and distance for yearly tracking info and such, but what I really want are the mile splits and HR info, the gps route, to pull up the "fly by" stuff, all that fancy jazz. 

Not sure what you mean. I was able to create my own manual activity just to log the time and distance for yearly tracking info and such, but what I really want are the mile splits and HR info, the gps route, to pull up the "fly by" stuff, all that fancy jazz. 
I'm speculating they could create a custom entry for you if you could provide the data points.  They may not do it.  I would think you could get all of it but the HR data, right?  For example, they could take Grue's activity and then update the mile times.  Probably not happening but wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'm speculating they could create a custom entry for you if you could provide the data points.  They may not do it.  I would think you could get all of it but the HR data, right?  For example, they could take Grue's activity and then update the mile times.  Probably not happening but wouldn't hurt to ask.
I don't have any of the info - like best I could do is guess at the mile times but I have done that already. I can roughly piece together the info off the timing splits. If I hunted enough, I could probably find someone that was in the pace group with me and get pretty good info for Miles 1 to 20ish. But I wasn't consistently with any person in from that point to the finish. The best I have is my memory and a couple of key times that I noted in my RR. 

If I could find a way to mount a portable device as a mass storage device, I could probably get it. I was tracking a couple of other possible leads this afternoon instead of getting work done and thought for just a moment I still had a chance but still no dice.

I know I still owe you guys a race report, but other than my quads still being a little sore, I'm recovering well and will likely run a few miles tomorrow.  I've allowed myself to indulge way more than usual the last few days, and I feel like a fat, out-of-shape POS. 

Still undecided about racing the upcoming 15K, but either way, I'm eyeing a local half marathon on December 1.  Assuming not-too-cold weather and dry/clean streets, I'll likely be making a PR attempt.
I initially read that as "sheets" and thought you were a little too old to still have that problem but I didn't want to judge.

@SFBayDuck if a hypothetical runner wanted a cold-weather 100K with a not-ridiculous amount of vert that would qualify him for the WS100 lottery, does such a thing even exist?  Asking for a friend.
Now we're talking!  There are a few that are early season in otherwise warm places so not likely to be cold but shouldn't be too hot, and not too ridiculous in terms of vert..

Bandera 100K is in Texas in January, I think it's around 6,500' of gain/loss.  Registration is open now (it sells out, not sure how quickly)

Black Canyon is a point-to-point race in Arizona in January,  5,190' of gain, 7,050' of loss - so basically flat.  Registration also open now.

Sean O'Brien 100K in SoCal in February.  It's around 13K' in gain/loss, so pretty decent vert but no altitude to deal with.  THERE ARE TWO SPOTS LEFT!

I don't have any of the info - like best I could do is guess at the mile times but I have done that already. I can roughly piece together the info off the timing splits. If I hunted enough, I could probably find someone that was in the pace group with me and get pretty good info for Miles 1 to 20ish. But I wasn't consistently with any person in from that point to the finish. The best I have is my memory and a couple of key times that I noted in my RR. 

If I could find a way to mount a portable device as a mass storage device, I could probably get it. I was tracking a couple of other possible leads this afternoon instead of getting work done and thought for just a moment I still had a chance but still no dice.
Ah ...don't fret it.  (Easy for me to say, right?)  You captured the race dynamics very well in your report.  I don't see that the specific mile splits will add to the equation.  You ran well; you ran surprisingly steady for your first marathon ...until the cramps hindered you.  When you run your next marathon, a key aspect will be reviewing your training cycle and improving on it rather than racing differently.   :2cents:  

Clearly you and I live in different worlds...
:shrug:  It's probably the flattest 100K that's a qualifier.  It's in the ballpark of most 50Ks I've done.

If flat and cooler weather is really the focus, then I'd say your best bet would be the Tunnel Hill 100M in IL in November.  Both Zach Bitter and Camille Herron have set 100M records (non-track) there, and it has less than 2000' of gain for 100 miles. I think you'd crush it there.  

:shrug:  It's probably the flattest 100K that's a qualifier.  It's in the ballpark of most 50Ks I've done.

If flat and cooler weather is really the focus, then I'd say your best bet would be the Tunnel Hill 100M in IL in November.  Both Zach Bitter and Camille Herron have set 100M records (non-track) there, and it has less than 2000' of gain for 100 miles. I think you'd crush it there.  
That's my neck of the woods (less than 2 1/2 hrs away). 

So  @xulf, looking for your next challenge?  @The Iguana, ready to move on and #BeatButter?  Just run a marathon in every country of the world!

And c'mon, @gruecd, run Black Canyon.  Over 60 miles, it works out to about 80' up and 120' down per mile ...no worse than the 'hilly' section of Boston.  But the Tunnel 100 would actually work out well.  That's the one @BassNBrew was going to run.

CNO Indianapolis Monumental Race Report

Pre-race

I felt good coming into this race after a solid 15-week training block.  With the exception of a one-week “reset” when my dad had open heart surgery, I did all my workouts and hit virtually all of the prescribed paces.  If everything went perfectly, I thought I was capable of running 2:56-2:57, but worst-case scenario I knew I was capable of bettering my PR of 2:59:25 set at the same race last year. 

My friend, Chris (running the half), and I arrived at our hotel, the JW Marriott, around 2:30.  Super nice hotel, and I’ll definitely stay there again the next time I run this race.  After a quick trip to the expo (nothing special) to get our bibs, I headed out for a quick 2-mile shakeout run.  As I texted the guys afterwards, it felt like dog####.  Pretty much par for the course, though, and not unexpected after a 5-hour drive and especially after not having run since early Wednesday morning.  We had dinner (half roasted chicken and mashed potatoes) and a beer (Yuengling) in the hotel sports bar at 6pm and then headed back to the room.  Got my stuff organized, texted back and forth with the wife for a while, and went to sleep around 10pm.

Alarm went off at 5:15am, and shortly thereafter I was in the hotel gym knocking out a quick 1-mile neurostim run on the treadmill before heading back to the room.  Ate a couple of PB&J sandwiches, took care of bathroom business, quick shower, and then listened to this YouTube video for a few minutes before heading down to the lobby around 7:30 to meet @Steel Curtain and @The Iguana for the short walk to the start line area.

Corrals were pretty empty when we got there, but they filled quickly.  My plan was to run the first 10K with the 3:00 pacer, so I found the guy and waited for the start.  Temps were in the upper 20s at this point, but I didn’t feel especially cold.  Ditched my throwaway pants relatively early and took off my jacket after the National Anthem.  I was left with shorts, singlet, arm warmers, gloves, and a headband to keep my ears warm.  At no point during the race did I feel cold. 

Miles 1-6:  6:50, 6:51, 6:51, 6:59, 6:51, 6:53

Again, I’m a big believer in running negative splits, so my plan here was to run with the 3:00 pacer for the first 10K in a conscious effort to keep myself from going out too fast.  The only negative to this strategy was that it was a big group, and I was constantly jostling for position, especially while turning corners.  Regardless, the pace felt easy, so I was comfortable moving onto phase two of the plan and ramping up to 6:40-6:45 pace…

Miles 7-15:  6:41, 6:42, 6:40, 6:45, 6:38, 6:49, 6:47, 6:49, 6:50

Shortly after the 6-mile marker, I started looking around and figuring out how I was going to maneuver around the big “sub-3” group so I could pick up my pace.  I started to weave through the mass of runners when all of a sudden I saw a table standing right in front of me!  It was one of the tables for the elite runners’ water bottles, and for whatever reason (a) it was set up in the middle of the road, and (b) there weren’t any cones or volunteers warning people that it was there.  Because I’d been running in the back of the pack, I hadn’t seen it until I was literally on top of it.  Anyway…I thankfully managed to sidestep the table, and after apologizing to the nearby runners for bumping into them, I was on my way.

Around mile 10, I saw some really nice “scenery” ahead of me and thought to myself that I would be really nice to run behind them for a while.  I worked my way up there and was pleased to find that they were running pretty much my exact goal pace.  There was a whole group of them in short shorts and tight racing tanks, and they became my de facto pacers for the next several miles.  This is a nice section with a lot of long, gradual downhills, and I felt really good. Looking back, not really sure why my pace slowed during the last few miles here, as I don’t remember being especially tired.  I joke about the girls, but I did kinda take a mental break here and let them do the pacing for me when I probably should’ve moved ahead of them and stayed more focused on hitting my splits.

Miles 16-18:  6:50, 6:43, 6:38

This is the “hilly” section of the course, and I’m pretty happy with how I did here.  I remember this part really kicking my butt last year, and this time I emerged none the worse for the wear.

Miles 19-23:  6:41, 6:40, 6:45, 7:02, 6:50, 6:50

This section starts with a nice, long, gradual downhill, but then it’s basically two miles straight into the SSW wind.  I held pace pretty well from 19-21, but the wind (along with the previous hilly section) obviously took a lot out of me, because I really started feeling it when we passed the 21-mile marker and turned east onto the parkway.  I remembered being pissed seeing a 7-minute mile for mile 22.  It was pretty obvious to me by this point that I wasn’t going to hit my “A” goal, but I knew that a PR was still in reach as long as I kept on running sub-7. 

Mile 24-finish:  7:07, 6:59, 6:52, 1:29 (last 2 tenths, 6:34 pace)

This section sucked.  I turned south off the parkway onto Meridian and straight back into the wind.  I was running all alone at this point with nobody to draft behind, and it was taking a lot out of me.  I hit my second 7-minute mile for #24 and decided that enough was enough.  I kept telling myself over and over to not be a #####, focused on running to the Soldiers & Sailors Monument up ahead, and managed to reverse the trend and get my splits moving back in the right direction.  I passed a fair number of people over the last couple of miles and even got back down into 6:30-something pace for the last two tenths.  I crossed the mat at 2:58:29, good for a shiny new 56-second PR. 

Prologue

I know I should be happy with this race, and I’ll never complain about a PR, but I know I can do better.  I hit the first half almost exactly where I wanted it (1:29:02 versus 1:29 goal), but the second half (1:29:27) was about 2 minutes slower than I wanted.  The easy thing to do is to just blame it on the wind, and while it definitely made things harder, I can’t help but wonder if maybe I overestimated my fitness or if subconsciously I just wasn’t willing to go deep enough into the pain cave.  I don’t know for sure yet what’s on tap for this spring (lots of things up in the air), but I do know that there’s pretty much nothing I don’t love about Monumental, and I’ll likely be back to race again next year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@The Iguana Sounds like you tried this but maybe it’s still a file somewhere including looking hidden folders like these folks describe.  

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-web/56822/how-to-undelete-a-deleted-activity
There's 2 ways you can lose an activity - accidentally deleting it after saving it - that's fairly easy to fix as the .fit file stays there but is just "hidden". Pretty easy to connect to a PC, copy the .fit file over and then import it into Garmin and all is well. The other is to never actually click the save button. The data is there on the disk but not actually in a file. That's proving to be impossible.

Ah ...don't fret it.  (Easy for me to say, right?)  You captured the race dynamics very well in your report.  I don't see that the specific mile splits will add to the equation.  You ran well; you ran surprisingly steady for your first marathon ...until the cramps hindered you.  When you run your next marathon, a key aspect will be reviewing your training cycle and improving on it rather than racing differently.   :2cents:  
Yeah. Kind of 2 fold issue here that keeps me digging a little - one is, of course, just wanting the run for the running sake. The other is that I'm in IT guy. I've spent most of my career in a combination of doing development as well as a lot of fixing crap that has gone wrong. It is kind of fun for me to try to do this. At this point, it is a little frustrating to be :thisclose: but not be able to put the last couple pieces together. I found enough stuff out there that I :think: others have been able to fix this but they haven't documented one of the steps very well, that I can find, and I can't figure it out.

I keep finding one more thing that gives me a glimmer of hope and keep playing with it... I'll give up soon, IMO, but it is kind of fun to try to crack the case.

There's 2 ways you can lose an activity - accidentally deleting it after saving it - that's fairly easy to fix as the .fit file stays there but is just "hidden". Pretty easy to connect to a PC, copy the .fit file over and then import it into Garmin and all is well. The other is to never actually click the save button. The data is there on the disk but not actually in a file. That's proving to be impossible.

Yeah. Kind of 2 fold issue here that keeps me digging a little - one is, of course, just wanting the run for the running sake. The other is that I'm in IT guy. I've spent most of my career in a combination of doing development as well as a lot of fixing crap that has gone wrong. It is kind of fun for me to try to do this. At this point, it is a little frustrating to be :thisclose: but not be able to put the last couple pieces together. I found enough stuff out there that I :think: others have been able to fix this but they haven't documented one of the steps very well, that I can find, and I can't figure it out.

I keep finding one more thing that gives me a glimmer of hope and keep playing with it... I'll give up soon, IMO, but it is kind of fun to try to crack the case.
Riiiiiiight.

So  @xulf, looking for your next challenge?  @The Iguana, ready to move on and #BeatButter?  Just run a marathon in every country of the world!

And c'mon, @gruecd, run Black Canyon.  Over 60 miles, it works out to about 80' up and 120' down per mile ...no worse than the 'hilly' section of Boston.  But the Tunnel 100 would actually work out well.  That's the one @BassNBrew was going to run.
Every country in the world seems a bit much. I'll probably start with branching out to run some events in other states first! I've met a few people that are out to run a marathon or half marathon in every state. That seems pretty cool to me.

Once I start recording more activities, the chance of getting it back goes way, way down. The new data will overwrite the old and the file will be gone - actually that possibility already exists since it is always recording HR, steps, etc. 
Stop wearing your watch until you figure it out.  Use Strava on your phone in the meantime.  Find a smart IT geek to figure this out for you.

Well if the data is in the phone, clearly cracking the case will allow you to get at it. 

Ha - considering I haven't done a full and still think you people are crazy that run them, I don't think that is in my cards.  My next challenge is keeping my dong warm during my 15K this coming weekend (thanks unseasonably cold weather  :sadbanana:  )

@gruecd - great read and run! 

I know you don't want to make excuses with the wind, but that obviously played a factor in your second half time. You can tell your training and planing was pretty spot on considering you hit your first half time perfectly.  It seems like you assuredly would have had a negative back had it not been blasting you in those later miles.  Also, nice move following the lady group  :wub:  ... purely for running/pacing reasons, of course.

Also, it shows what a great guy you are that after you finished your race, went back to the hotel and showered, had lunch, watched some TV, and took a nap...that you still went back out to the race and cheered on @The Iguana to the finish!

My next challenge is keeping my dong warm 
This is going to sound silly, but when the weather gets really cold I take one of those small knit gloves that you can get a pair at Wal Mart for like $2. 

I just put one of those over my dong, and it keeps everything nice and toasty down there. 

Alright, BMFers....

15K race coming up in a week and a half.  I haven't thought about my pacing for this thing much and figured I should at least have some kind of plan.  I'm considering just running it by HR without a specific goal pace to start (or finish), but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some kind of estimate of what I should shoot for.  As I haven't raced in months and done virtually no fast running, I really don't know what kind of racing shape I'm in.  That said, I did have a solid long run last week that I mentioned here and hopefully gives enough info for some of you to give me an estimate.  Of note, @MAC_32 is not allowed to throw some ridiculous time out there.

So, here is my race on this course last year.

The thing is, this came after 4 weeks of no running after hurting my achilles in November.  I came back the week before doing 31 miles and one long run and then raced.  So, my fitness was not at peak.  It was also cold AF that day (I think 20 degrees at race start).  For that race, I wanted to negative split and finish strong, which I did.  I found my race report here that details that.

Anyway, here is my run from last week.  From a "feel" perspective, mile 9 felt great (8:01 grade-adjusted pace with HR 159).  I do worry, however, trying to go out at an 8:00-8:05 pace to start and no idea if I can truly hold it that long for the race.  But, I don't care if I blow up this race either and I'm fine going for it if it's reasonable.  My fitness isn't perfect now, I haven't had huge mileage the last couple of months, but I do feel like I'm in decent shape and feel healthy. 

So, have at it boys.....

P.S.--I'll probably actually listen to the advice given......

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it shows what a great guy you are that after you finished your race, went back to the hotel and showered, had lunch, watched some TV, and took a nap...that you still went back out to the race and cheered on @The Iguana to the finish!
For the record, having him showered, changed into street clothes, and back out there to cheer on my finish did put things in a bit of perspective. 

@gruecd Great race and excellent Race Report. Congratulations on the PR. And it's a pretty great place to be if you're PRing by a minute and still (rightfully) feel there's improvement still to come.

Alright, BMFers....

15K race coming up in a week and a half.  I haven't thought about my pacing for this thing much and figured I should at least have some kind of plan.  I'm considering just running it by HR without a specific goal pace to start (or finish), but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some kind of estimate of what I should shoot for.  As I haven't raced in months and done virtually no fast running, I really don't know what kind of racing shape I'm in.  That said, I did have a solid long run last week that I mentioned here and hopefully gives enough info for some of you to give me an estimate.  Of note, @MAC_32 is not allowed to throw some ridiculous time out there.

The thing is, this came after 4 weeks of no running after hurting my achilles in November.  I came back the week before doing 31 miles and one long run and then raced.  So, my fitness was not at peak.  It was also cold AF that day (I think 20 degrees at race start).  For that race, I wanted to negative split and finish strong, which I did.  I found my race report here that details that.

Anyway, here is my run from last week.  From a "feel" perspective, mile 9 felt great (8:01 grade-adjusted pace with HR 159).  I do worry, however, trying to go out at an 8:00-8:05 pace to start and no idea if I can truly hold it that long for the race.  But, I don't care if I blow up this race either and I'm fine going for it if it's reasonable.  My fitness isn't perfect now, I haven't had huge mileage the last couple of months, but I do feel like I'm in decent shape and feel healthy. 

So, have at it boys.....

Take note of the HR you sustained last year despite literally no training prior - I get you haven't done any/much fast running, but while I expected the quick rise to the 160's when I clicked that race I was surprised you sustained it all the way through. I like your idea of running it by HR then if all systems are go entering the final 5K let 'er fly.

I know I should be happy with this race, and I’ll never complain about a PR, but I know I can do better.  I hit the first half almost exactly where I wanted it (1:29:02 versus 1:29 goal), but the second half (1:29:27) was about 2 minutes slower than I wanted.  The easy thing to do is to just blame it on the wind, and while it definitely made things harder, I can’t help but wonder if maybe I overestimated my fitness or if subconsciously I just wasn’t willing to go deep enough into the pain cave.  
By now I imagine you want to reach through your monitor and smack me about it but I think your current glass ceiling is a product of the bolded.

You're an endurance monster, by every definition. You're a grinder. You're consistent. You're a ### #### machine. With everything that goes into your training (and racing), not just the actual running but what you do to compliment it. It's why when conditions are optimal you never (rarely?) miss your mark. I wouldn't dare write it ahead of time, but I thought you pr'ing yesterday was a foregone conclusion. You've had too good of a year thwarted by bad weather on race day - you were due. But if growth is your goal - that's what I think you need to work on, your willingness to embrace The Suck. If you do then I think you have a level up in you. It's not fun. And there will be periods of failure. But if you stick with it and keep grinding (it is a different sorta grind) then I think eventually that light bulb turns on and that next step up clicks.

I get it if the willingness isn't there. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being what you currently are. What you currently are is admirable, something many/most/all of us aspire to be in at least some way. Or if you venture off into the land of ultra's as your posts from yesterday eluded to, a different sort of new challenge. But if you want to be a faster marathoner. If you want to be faster in shorter road distances. You have to get out of your comfort zone. When the weather is bad you do the prescribed workout (outdoors) anyway. When the workout is structured for particular paces you don't go to the treadmill and let the machine (or that wonderful pack of scenery mid-marathon) dictate pace. You demand your mind to stay engaged to run that pace - and push your limits. That's how you'll find that next level.

Alright, BMFers....

So, have at it boys.....

Go run 9 fast miles this weekend to see what you can do  :excited:

Users who are viewing this thread